HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2017, 01:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 334016
  • Total Topics: 7270
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 9
Total: 11

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: OOC - Stranded in Space  (Read 17017 times)

Offline jaysek

• Knight of the Purple Sash
    • http://
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2005, 11:18:18 AM »
Oh, and the character sheet looks allright except for one thing; I can't see what he needs brawling for when he's so good at martial arts, so, could you move some of those ranks over to stalk/hide, piloting skills, perception or resistance rolls? That would be very nice...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:25:27 AM by jaysek »

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 02:27:33 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(jaysek @ Oct 5 2005, 11:18 AM)
Oh, and the character sheet looks allright except for one thing; I can't see what he needs brawling for when he's so good at martial arts, so, could you move some of those ranks over to stalk/hide, piloting skills, perception or resistance rolls? That would be very nice...
Sure, I'll do some tweaking on him tonight.

Offline jaysek

• Knight of the Purple Sash
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »
Wonderful!

Offline munchy

• Messenger
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005, 09:36:15 PM »
Hi, sorry for being late.
Brent, you will receive my character sheet this weekend, I promise.

@all, had some problems sorting out the posting clearances and getting work out of the way.

@Brent: is there a sickbay on this ship - this could explain why my character has not been on the bridge yet. Would start there then.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 10:41:37 PM »
Well, it's probably more of a closet than a bay, but being a scout ship I would think there is a least some medical facilities.

Offline munchy

• Messenger
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2005, 10:46:55 PM »
Excellent, definitely something to work with. As the medic I've had worse working environments.
Posted in the gaming thread.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2005, 05:14:07 AM »
A few more notes about your ship and general environment.

The Planet that the Space station is orbiting is 1 AU from it's Sun, which is approximately 150,000,000 km and is equal to the distance from the Sun to Earth in our Solar System.

It takes approximately 1 hour for your ship to accelerate to it's maximum velocity of 0.07 C, and it will cover .25 AU in that time.  0.07C is approximately 0.5 AU per hour.

The Sun, the Planet and the L4 point form an equilateral triangle, which means each point is an equal distance from each other point.  
The same is true for the Sun, the Planet and the L5 point.

Another thing I wanted to know for my adventure was,
what is the distance from the L4 point to the L5 point

Looking at one of several handy diagrams

Basically, if the distance of the biggest planet from it's sun is R, that becomes the hypotenuse of one right angle triangle where the angles are always going to be 60 and 30 degrees, (Draw a line between L4 and L5 on the diagram shown to get the triangles) and that will give me half of the length I want.  Using the sin of 60 degrees as approx .866, the handy formula for calculating the distance becomes:

2*(.866*R).

So, for our particular Sun and Planet, the distance between the L4 point and the L5 point works out to be 1.772 AU

One thing at least some of your characters would know is that your ships maximum speed is that of military vessels, likewise for it's acceleration, so it is unlikely that another ship could out race you.  Missiles on the other hand...

So, since the distance from the space station to the L5 point is 1 AU, it will take you one hour to get up to speed, in which time you cover 0.25 AU.  Then you move at maximum velocity for another hour, that covers 0.5 AU.  Then you need to decide, do you want to decelerate to basically a rest before you hit the L5 point and make a safer jump, which would take another hour, or do you continue at full speed, covering the final .25 AU in 30 minutes, but adding considerable to the danger of making the jump (plus having to dodge the asteroids at high speed)?

Just so you know what some of the modifiers are, it's a Space Pilot roll with these potiential modifiers:
Asteroid Field -60 (This is a thinner than usual one , so I'd probably make it -30)
Hyperspace insertion via Lagrange Point -20
Vehicle Acceleration (Nicholas, sould this be Velocity?)
0-25% of maximum +0
26 -50% of maximum -10
51 -75% of maximum -20
76 - 100% of maximum -40

Of course, you have two hours until you need to make that decision, assuming you are even heading for the L5 point, and who knows what else might happen in that time?  :P

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• Friends of RealRoleplaying
  • Knight Errant
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2005, 10:25:33 AM »
Penalties are applied for high velocity and acceleration. Acceleration is not just straight-line speed increases/decreases. It is also a fudge factor for all the rapid directional changes that spacefighters perform in dogfights.

Note to players: vehicle combat in HARP SF tries to involve as many players as possible. Pilots can fly offensively or defensively. Gunners operate the weapons system. Engineers with Engineering(Magneto-gravitics) should be fine-tuning the shields (this can increase or decrease ship DB). Comms officers should be using their Signaling skill to actively operate the electronic warfare (again the DB can go down as well as up). A second gunner can be manning point defense for last line of defense against missiles.

(Yes, this means that vehicle combat is more complex than personal combat, but I believe that the increased player participation is worth it.)

If you have any of these skills, pipe up and get to your station.

Brent, you have my authorisation to make the Vehicle Combat rules available to players involved in fighting the ship. That way they can make intelligent (or not) decisions.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Guild Companion Publications Ltd
Publisher under license of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.rpgnow.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF & HARP SF Xtreme

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2005, 12:11:53 PM »
Ooooh !

That must mean we are about to be attacked i presume ? :D
"A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack."
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

• Knight Errant
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2005, 01:02:27 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(crayok @ Oct 7 2005, 12:11 PM)
Ooooh !

That must mean we are about to be attacked i presume ? :D
That's no secret.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher under license of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.rpgnow.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF & HARP SF Xtreme

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2005, 01:17:06 PM »
But we could yet have hope in distancing our foes until we jumped out of the system :P

Now our poor pilot will feel depressed at being unable to evade the fight ;)
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

Offline Maelstrom

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2005, 01:38:34 PM »
From the beginning Brent said we wouldn't make the jump.  Our ship gets ambushed/attacked and disabled and we've got to go to the other ship.  I doubt our characters will be to happy with their predestined future.
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  The life I live in this body I live by faith in Jesus Christ who loves me and gave himself up for me.

Offline munchy

• Messenger
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2005, 01:48:52 PM »
Hey that's what we are heroes for. The bad thing is that I am always reminded of those horro scifi movies... "No problem", said the captain "I've already sent down some men. Everything will be fine."

and the all-time favourite phrase:
"We should seperate to cover more ground."

Offline Maelstrom

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(munchy @ Oct 7 2005, 07:48 AM)
Hey that's what we are heroes for. The bad thing is that I am always reminded of those horro scifi movies... "No problem", said the captain "I've already sent down some men. Everything will be fine."

and the all-time favourite phrase:
"We should seperate to cover more ground."
True.  Nobody seems to remember, "There's safety in numbers."  :(
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  The life I live in this body I live by faith in Jesus Christ who loves me and gave himself up for me.

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2005, 02:57:52 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(munchy @ Oct 7 2005, 02:48 PM)
Hey that's what we are heroes for.
Would-be Heroes have a tendency towards very very short lifespan , so i'll pass on that ;)
If i had to pick one category i'd choose Survivor :P

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2005, 03:17:32 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(crayok @ Oct 7 2005, 01:17 PM)
But we could yet have hope in distancing our foes until we jumped out of the system :P

Now our poor pilot will feel depressed at being unable to evade the fight ;)
Actually, you will make the jump one way or another. It's not entirely obvious from the blurb in the original Recruitment posting, but it does say you find yourself in an unknown solar system.  The solar system you are currently in is known to you.  Best way to land somewhere unknown is a misjump.

Now, I hadn't orignally planned on actually running the events leading up to that jump, but it seemed like too good of an opportunity to try out some of the rules and have some fun to pass up.

I figure it's pretty easy for a misjump to occur because you are pushing yourself and making the jump while going faster than normal, and manuevering around asteroids at the same time, or, a misjump can occur because of damage sustained in a battle.  Or, some sort of combination of the two.

So, despite a somewhat predetermined outcome, you still have alot of choices and decisions to make.

I'll get the Vehicle Combat rules out to those that need them tonight, thanks Nicholas!

• Knight Errant
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2005, 03:26:10 PM »
Handheld scanners are (Medium) Machine Operation (Scanners) except for the medical scanners  which are Hard First Aid or Medium Medical Practice All-or-Nothing skill maneuvers to use.

Shipboard systems require the Signaling skill.

Back to statting up nine example robots simultaneously.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2005, 08:00:24 AM »
Quote from: QUOTE(ob1knorrb @ Oct 8 2005, 04:47 AM)
[OOC] Sadly, I think I missed the fact that Sensors are handled with the signaling skill, so most of you probably don't have it, although I'm sure someone got it as part of a training package...  I need to do up a summary sheet for myself with everyone's skills on it.

I hope for us that the pilot , if it is him that knows how to operate ship sensors will not have to use it in combat situation ... it could impede on his piloting at that time :/
And i hope it is not the gunner either :P for same reasons

If need be divert one piloting skill rank to signaling for me :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 08:01:14 AM by crayok »

Offline lonejedi

• Squire
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2005, 12:08:34 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(crayok @ Oct 8 2005, 08:00 AM)
I hope for us that the pilot , if it is him that knows how to operate ship sensors.
Nope, not a single point toward sensor controls on the pilot :)

"Hey, what's this shiny panel next to the control yoke?  There are all sorts of dots moving around on it... most of them look red.  Pretty!"  ;)
-Lone Jedi
(Jason Buchanan)
Co-Owner, Code Monkey Publishing, LLC
http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
OOC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2005, 02:28:46 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(lonejedi @ Oct 8 2005, 12:08 PM)
Quote from: QUOTE(crayok @ Oct 8 2005, 08:00 AM)
I hope for us that the pilot , if it is him that knows how to operate ship sensors.
Nope, not a single point toward sensor controls on the pilot :)

"Hey, what's this shiny panel next to the control yoke?  There are all sorts of dots moving around on it... most of them look red.  Pretty!"  ;)
Actually, I think already you have 2 ranks, for a skill of 26.  It's in the General Category, Signaling skill, just above Vocation.