Real Roleplaying Forums

The Archive => The Trophy Case => Indigo Awakenings (PsiWorld) => Topic started by: rmax on March 04, 2009, 07:32:23 PM

Title: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on March 04, 2009, 07:32:23 PM
General Events for April 5th
Yesterday was rough, as was the night.  It wasn't a dream.

The morning news continues their "round the clock" coverage, constantly rerunning interviews with witnesses, or at least interviews with people who were at the ball park.  It's funny, but either people grow dumb during the interviews, are still in shock, or the reporters find people that give the blurbs that they want to show.  "I thank God that I got out of there alive,"  or "I prayed to God that he spare me and my child from this evil," are general themes that get played, and replayed.  There are a few interviews with people that actually talk about what happened, or with people who tried to help, but by far, all the news agencies concentrate on the "human tragedy" of what happened.

Occasionally they cut to a government official that vaguely provides some small bit of information.  There is a long segment where Mayor Shirley Franklin and Governor Sunny Purdue talk about what is known, about the sorry they feel for those who died in the incident, and how everything will be done to assist the federal agents in their investigation, and the families who were affected.  Gov. Purdue calls for a prayer vigil tonight at the capital a candle light procession to the stadium (about 3 blocks away).

The radio news shows, especially those who pay lip service to facts, are quick to bring up frightening scenarios of terrorist activities.  Some bring up stories of terror cells in America, and leave you feeling that you can not trust anyone around you.  Even if you don't listen to talk radio, their most notorious sound bites are repeated by the news stations.

There is a general state of shock among most of the people you encounter today.  Even if they were not there, the news of what happened has everyone on edge.  The constant coverage and speculation seems to only heighten this general malaise. 
Title: Re: April 6th
Post by: rmax on April 01, 2009, 08:38:02 PM
General Events for April 6
(I am going to continue to the events of the next day.  I will give Nick and Theira until Friday to finish any discussion at Manuel's Tavern, then I'll move their personal threads along).

The mainstream news media has started to lighten their coverage of what happened at Turner Field, but there is still ample coverage for those addicted to tragedy.  As the day before, the government has no firm comment about what has happened, though the national security threat level is still at red.  It is announced that President Bush will visit Atlanta tomorrow, April 7th

All of the news stations have segments on the strange occurrence of headaches the day after the "Brave's event" as it is now being called.  Theories focus on chemical attacks, bio agents, or mass trauma.  It is also announced that the celebrity therapist Dr. Phil will be venturing to Atlanta to hold a series of mass trauma therapy sessions.  It is also announced that there will be a prayer vigil this night at Turner Field, hosted by Rev. Elijah McDougal, who gave the invocation on Opening Day.

Beyond the news, people around Atlanta seem a little jumpy, and many seem down.  You see this every where you go, from the bus, to business, restaurants, bars, etc....  A malaise has taken hold of the population. 
Title: Re: April 6th
Post by: rmax on April 28, 2009, 02:22:12 AM
(There are a few more posts for Nick and Theira, Dan needs to think about going to see Emmie's High Priestess, and Flo will wake up soon.  But, I'm going move onto the night shortly since it seems only two characters will be at the vigil tonight).
Title: Re: April 6th
Post by: Dranthor on May 02, 2009, 02:10:37 AM
not sure where to post this but.


just trying to let everyone know my computer died and I'm waiting for my new one wil get involved when I get it.
Dranthor
Title: Re: April 6th
Post by: rmax on May 03, 2009, 04:34:39 AM
April 6th
The early edition of the Evening News talks about the massive car wreck on Peachtree Street in front of Piedmont Hospital.  The on scene reporter talks to supposed eye witnesses, and shows footage of the accident.  All indications is that a patient ran out of the emergency room and straight into traffic.  No other details are currently known.  (There is also no indication that there is any link to what occurred at Turner Field).

The human interest story for the day deals with the upcoming vigil tonight in Lot B of Turner Field.  The anchorman encourages all who are planning on attending to take MARTA (the public transit system) as there is little parking available. 

(In your threads, please tell me what your planning on doing.  Among specifics, I need to know if Dex is doing anything else, or keeping an eye out...some of the people were acting mighty strange.  Nick will be at the hospital most of the afternoon finishing up with people.)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 04, 2009, 08:43:18 PM
The Vigil

In the late afternoon of April 6th, Lot B of Turner Field's parking lot is turned into the site for a vigil commemorating those whose lives were taken during the Turner Field Riot (a name the manager of the baseball stadium has been trying to get changed).  The crew from Muse has been working tirelessly to get the stage, sound and lights ready for the evening.  Taking a break, the crew, public safety officers, and other enjoy a wonderful array of freshly cooked goodies (from fried chicken, to potato salads, and fresh brownies...and don't forget the sweet tea). 

Dex, as the crew is finishing dinner, you can see a number of people milling around a black limo that recently pulled up.  You notice a man slowly moving through the crowds, shaking hands, and speaking to those around him.  He seems to have a smile for each and every person he sees.

He seems familiar.

There is a presence about him, and you realize that your just staring at him, that's when you remember where you saw him.  He is the man who gave the invocation at the Opening Day.

He stands about 6'5" (~1.9m), Caucasian, with light brown hair.  He is dressed in a suit, and knows how to wear it.  As he gets closer, you realize that the suit, while well made, does not look to be a name brand suit.  Then you realize, he's walking toward you.

"Hello there, I'm Rev. Elijah McDougal.  I wanted to stop by personally and thank you and your crew for be'in willin' n' able to help on such short notice."  He does not try to hide his Southern accent.  You don't place him as an Appalachian, but maybe more Southern coastal (heavy, molasses drawl, and very melodic).  Being someone who deals with sound, you can immediately tell that this guy gives great voice.  His demeanor quickly puts you at ease (even if you were not tense, you realize that this guy has a natural talent for making people at ease around him).

__________________________________________________________________

Bruce, you meet up with Kira at Georgia State University, and take one of the shuttles over to the stadium.  It's about seven o'clock, and the sun is still high (sunset is around 8:30pm).  While early Spring, it still get's chilly at night.  Kira is carrying a light jacket,  is dressed in jeans and a long sleeve green blouse, and is carrying a backpack.  "Have you had supper yet?  Well, don't worry, I brought us something.  We're going to meet with some others, and Cathy said that she was going to pack some food as well."


When you get to the stadium, you notice that Lot B is starting to fill up.  A stage is set, with the stadium acting as a backdrop.  Kira waves, and starts moving over to a group of young people.  They have spread blankets out, and have a large picnic set up.  "Cathy," she says as she hugs another young woman.

"You must be Bruce," says Cathy.  She is about 5'9" (~1.75m) tall, with sandy blond hair and hazel eyes.  She shakes your hand, and looks up at you.  With eyes filled with compassion, "Kira told us of your loss.  Your in our thoughts and prayers."  She smiles a little, then says, "please, come join us."  She leads you over to the blanket, and hands you a plate. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Elsewhere
(Just so you know, the news/radio have been talking about the vigil all day, so it is within reason that all characters currently conscious know about it).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Nick, you finish up at Piedmont hospital around 4pm.  Your boss hasn't called yet, asking for you to come to work.  When you call him, you find out that he heard about you helping out at the hospital, so he's not call you in tonight. 

Theira
In your dream, you run from the shadow.  There is suddenly a pulling at you, and a voice, "be safe."  You wake up to a police officer shaking you

"Mame, are you alright?"  You realize that your screams were not just in your dream.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Florinka

You wake up on a bed in the hospital with a splitting headache.  You try to move your hand to your head, only to realize that you are in restraints.

Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 04, 2009, 09:33:20 PM
Dex

"My privilege Reverend. Like you, I was one of the people who went through it. I figure we all need this. At times like this it's important to remember that we're not alone, that other people were wounded and other people care."

I'll point out to him those on my crew who were there. Theo at least, dunno how many more. "Just like those who came, and just like you yourself, we're here to heal ourselves as much as to help those around us heal."

I'll try not to be jittery or paranoid, but the fact is this many people who were there, in basically the same place where it all happened, is making me a little nervous.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 05, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
Dex

Your not as jittery as you might imagine.  This guy is just charismatic, and he easily makes you feel comfortable.  "I didn't realize that members of your crew were there that day.  Well then double the welcome brother."  He pauses for a moment, "now you have been feel'in alright since that day.  If not, tell me, and I'll make sure our congregation holds you in their prayers."  His smile is infectious.  You can see how this guy was able to build such a huge following.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 05, 2009, 05:23:15 PM
"Hi Cathy, pleased to meet you. Thanks very much for your concern, I don't know what to say.....other than thanks." says Bruce sitting down the blanket and accepting a plate of food.

It feels nice to have some genuinely nice people around for a change he thinks, Even though I don't know these people, they are really friendly.

Bruce looks about the stadium holding his plate of food, just slowly picking at the pieces on it. The happenings, although still very recent, at the same time feel like years ago. He gazes soberly up towards the balcony seats where Matthew and himself sat and holds a breath of air. After a moment he slowly exhales and turns back to the group. "The mood is going to be sombre as it is.....better not bring everybody down."

So, I'm not really sure what to expect here, what is the program for tonight?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 05, 2009, 06:41:18 PM
Bruce
(Just to clarify, your in one of the parking lots.  You can actually see the part of the stadium where it started, but the vigil is being set up outside the stadium).

"Thanks is always welcome," says Cathy.

"Well," Kira explains, "some of the cities leaders will speak, as well as some of the prominent Minsters from around town.  Reverend McDougal, I have heard, will then do a reading and lead those gathered in prayer."  After taking a bite of chicken, she adds, "have you ever heard one of his sermons?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 06, 2009, 05:42:43 AM
Bruce

(Ok thanks.)

"Er...no. Cant say that I have. I take it he must be quite good to be called in for such an occasion.".

Bruce is a little uncomfortable, partly due to his memories of the recent incident and partly due to his unfamiliarity with religion. He has never been a religious person and has avoided it as he feels he doesn't identify with it's concepts....but on the other hand....these people, Kira and Cathy, until a short while ago they were complete strangers. Now Kira has really been there at a difficult time and Bruce is glad of that.

"So when does this thing kick off?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 06, 2009, 03:55:30 PM
Dex

What little of my jitters remain, I'm gonna keep to myself. Dex is a very hard headed guy, with very much a "show me" attitude about things, which tends to result in his 'religious' beliefs having fairly major differences with those of anyone else he meets. To quote Terry Pratchett, "religion is just a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms". So while he appreciates the good wishes, he doesn't regard the prayers as anything but just good wishes.
And while Dex tends not to be bashful about speaking his mind, here he's running up against one of the most basic rules of the entertainment industry: Don't offend the client, and don't offend the 'talent'. So while no, he's not "feelin alright since that day", he's gonna keep the fact that he hasn't to himself.

I appreciate the support from the Reverend, and respect the work he's doing to help people heal. Fine and good, but it's time to go to work. Right now I'm listening to voices, thinking about tonight's schedule of events, and thinking what minor adjustments might be done to bring out the best in each speaker's vocal qualities.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 06, 2009, 04:32:45 PM
"You will be impressed," says Cathy.  "He is the most inspirational man I have ever met.  You should come to his church some time."

Kira hands you a plastic cup filled with cold sweet tea, "well, it's getting close to time."  She looks over to the stage, "it looks like their getting ready."  You notice that there are some people dressed in suits up on stage."
Rolling 1d100:
(85): Total = 85
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 06, 2009, 04:36:27 PM
Dex:  Perfectly understandable.  Just throw things in to see how you react ;evil).  It also introduces you to yet another figure in our little drama.

The reverend thanks you again, and keeps the offer of prayers open.  His handlers though don't let him delay for too long before they are moving him to another throng of people.  You do realize that he has followers, not just parishioners, but die-hard followers.

The work continues, and your done in plenty of time to double check and test everything.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 06, 2009, 10:59:19 PM
Dex

Depending on what I hear in the voices of the speakers, I may do a last minute change of mics. The standard vocal mic for band singers is good enough for most situations and is probably what's out there now. Some people, especially higher pitched voices, very "breathy" or resonant voices, or people who tend to be explosive in their consonants (P's, K's, etc.) sound better on a choir mic set farther away. But then as likely as not there may not be a mic on a stand at all, just a wireless that gets handed to such-and-such speaker just before he steps out. Those can be a little problematic if you don't know how to use them, but it's a safe bet these guys are all professionals when it comes to speaking on a mic.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 08, 2009, 11:00:57 AM
Bruce

Bruce gladly accepts the tea from Kira with a smile and sips it slowly, savouring its sweetness. I wonder if she is a regular attendee of this guy's sermons? he thinks to himself as he looks about. "So I take it then you have seen him speak often?......and met the man as well. Do you attend his church?" asks Bruce, not really knowing what he wants the answer to be.

Since he is just standing around waiting for this thing to start, he looks at the activity on stage. He will also scan the crowd to see what sort of demographic is most prevalent (young, old, well dressed or casual, couples or singles, man:woman ratio).

(Given the recent past events, what sort of security do they have here?)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 10, 2009, 11:41:50 PM
Brue

Kira looks over to you, "Oh, I've been to his church a few times.  I stay close to campus though, and go to services at the Baptist Student Union.  Cathy attends his church regularly," a comment to which Cathy nods.  Kira add, "I'm not very fond of large congregations.  I like a more intimate setting."

Dex
You make a few minor adjustments, but everything seems to be working out well. 

The Vigil
There is a diverse crowd present, Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, African-American, young, old, male and female.  While there are groupings of similar ethic groups with each other, you can't say whether one group dominates over another.

There are police and firefighters standing ready in case their needed, and you notice what looks to be private security around the stage.  There

The lights focuses on the stage as a group of people file in and sit down in chairs set on the stage.  A man moves up to the podium, "Let us pray."  With that, people begin to bow their heads, with many clasping their hand.

"Oh Lord, we come before you to day to pray for those we have lost, and for those still wounded in the riot during the Brave's opening day...," and thus begins the vigil.  The first speaker gives a basic prayer, nothing too fancy or inspirational, but it does start the evening.  As the Governor of Georgia speaks of how the community has come together in the face of this tragedy, people move through the crowd passing out candles.

(any comments or questions before I continue?)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 11, 2009, 01:05:36 AM
(Nope, go ahead.)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 11, 2009, 04:33:59 AM
The Vigil
There is a diverse crowd present, Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, African-American, young, old, male and female.  While there are groupings of similar ethic groups with each other, you can't say whether one group dominates over another.

Are you kidding? I'm a blue eyed black man, I can do "diverse" sittin in a room all by my lonesome.

 :lol:
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 15, 2009, 10:25:47 PM
A young black man, with a very strong presence, walks over to the podium.  He pulls out a bible.  "A reading from Matthew," he starts out with a mild voice, but as he reads, his demeanor changes, his words conveying the power of the biblical reading.  (note: italics here just means a long quote)

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat was already a considerable distance[a] from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

 During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

 But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

 "Come," he said.

   Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."


The young man is followed by an older gentleman, from the St. Matthew African Methodist Episcopalian church.  This man is fiery, but he does not have the same cool, confident presence of the younger man.

Brothers and Sisters, we have come here today to make sense of this tragedy.  There are many in the media who are telling you to live in fear!  Even to fear your neighbor!  But this is the time where we need our neighbors, need them to help us carry the cross we must now bear!  And we must be there to help them! 

Now Brothers and Sisters, it is very human for us to fear.  Even the first among us, Adam, showed his fear before God.  Remember?  Do you remember what he said?  Why he was hiding from the Lord, for he knew that he had done bad.  But how can you hide from the Lord?  You can't, and when God found Adam, God asked why he was hiding.  Do you remember what Adam said?  'because I was afraid.'

God knows that we doubt.  Listen to the words of Matthew.  The disciples, they were afraid when they saw Jesus walking across that water!  They feared the power of God before them!  Why?  I'll tell you why!  It's cause they doubted in him.  They doubted their Lord and savior!  Why even Peter showed his doubt when he began to sink.  He just couldn't believe. 


The reverend wipes his brow with a white handkerchief, and shakes his head.
Dex Rolling 1d100:
(72): Total = 72

Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(58): Total = 58


So what does this mean for those of us here?  What does this mean for those dealing with loss?  Well, I'll tell you!
First!  We must confront our Fears!  We must find the root of that fear!
Second!  We can't let anyone convince us to doubt our love of God!  As you see from the reading, DOUBT WILL SINK US!
And third!
  The reverend starts pounding the podium, moving as if the spirit of God was in him, We must remember, that no mater what happens, NO MATTER WHAT, we have to remember that God WILL be with us!  Hallelujah!

Bang
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 15, 2009, 10:30:50 PM
The gunshot startles all those present, and there is a moment of silence before all hell breaks loose.  You hear a voice shouting, "GOD"S Dead!  GOD's Dead!"  Looking over there is a force of police moving to where the gunman is, and you see the gunman take his own life.

Dex, you notice that in the rush to get people off the stage, at least two people are about to be trampled, and that one of the cop cars moving in is most likely going to hit the side of the stage.

Bruce, you heard the gunshot, and you see the people around you start to panic.

Nick, if you decided to go to the vigil, you will have seen the basics of the gunman.  You have a flashback that it's all about to happen again.  (nick, tell me if you did decide to come here).
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 15, 2009, 11:29:43 PM
Dex

 (under my breath) "Aw hell no, not again!"

There's always backup mics, at least one or two, especially with wireless mics as these are likely to be. You never know when a battery is gonna start giving up. I grab the backup, cut the channel in, max the gain and yell,

"EVERYBODY DOWN!!!"

then mute it and make a long flat dive for center stage. If the cop car hits the stage, center stage is the safest place. And the last time weird stuff started happening... you know, the stuff we're here for a vigil for?!?.... panic ended up hurting more people than anything else. With any luck, if everyone drops flat for a second or two, the cops and the ministry will get a breathing space to get the mob under control.
Whatever. But not again. No more. Whatever it takes to make that not happen.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 16, 2009, 03:35:45 AM
Bruce

Bruce flinches at the sound of the gunshot. His shoulders hunch and his head ducks involuntarily. He reaches out to grab Kira by the shoulder and guide her down to the ground. He will try and drop to a knee and encourage other to do so too. He looks about to see if he can see what is happening....the gunman, police or security.

"GET DOWN! STAY CALM!"

Bruce is really hoping that the people in the crowd around him don't start to panic and run, causing a human stampede. He is ready to stand up again to prevent himself, Kira and Cathy getting trampled.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 16, 2009, 04:55:18 PM
Dex Rolling 1d100:
(45): Total = 45

Dex Rolling 1d100:
(15): Total = 15


Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(46): Total = 46

Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(4): Total = 4

Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 02:14:17 AM
Dex, you make the announcement, but your not sure how effective it will be.  For the safety of your crew and yourself, you head to the center of the stage.  You notice that Rev. Elijah McDougal is making his way to the mike, but the police cruiser, though going at low speed, looks like it will sideswipe the back quadrant of the stage. 

But not again. No more. Whatever it takes to make that not happen.

At the last moment, the car barely misses the stage. 

Bruce, you notice that in the start of the panic, people are starting to scream.  Some in confusion are starting to run.  You stand ready to defend yourself, Kira and Cathy. 
Rolling 1d100:
(58): Total = 58
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 02:16:22 AM
Bruce
A man, dragging a woman behind him, runs toward you.  He doesn't even notice you, as he is looking behind him.  As he comes forward, you shift your weight, throwing the man out of the way.

ALL
A piercing noise stabs through the air, as if all the microphone suddenly had extreme feedback.  It shocks everyone.
Rolling 1d100:
(96): Total = 96

Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 02:20:31 AM
Rev. Elijah McDougal shakes his head after the burst of sound, then moves up to the microphone. 

"Friends!  Friends!  Listen!  This is madness!  As Reverend Moses said, we must have faith!" 
Rolling 1d100:
(84): Total = 84
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 02:33:24 AM
The crowd still looks scared, but the sonic burst seems to have killed most of the panic.  People are still very skittish.  It's not hard to notice the people who are reliving shock.

Bruce, you notice a man near you hold his head in his hand, and a woman who seems to be mumbling to her self.
Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(18): Total = 18


Dex, you see a man close to you who is looking very agitated.
Dex Rolling 1d100:
(4): Total = 4
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 02:48:47 AM
Bruce
The air around the man is starting to shimmer, and the woman is starting to fade from sight.

Dex
You realize that the man is clinching and unclinching his fists.  As he does this, you notice heat waves around his hands.

"Friends," continues Rev. McDougal.  He lowers his head for a moment, then looks out, with a face showing serenity, "my friends, it is time to have faith.  God is with you."    He then begins to sing.

Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me bring you love;
Where there is injury, your healing pow'r,
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope;
Where there is darkness, - only light,
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

O Spirit, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consolded as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love with all my soul - .

Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving to all that we receive,
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.


Rolling 1d100:
(65): Total = 65


(you are free to act while he is singing)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 17, 2009, 03:25:58 AM
Dex
You realize that the man is clinching and unclinching his fists.  As he does this, you notice heat waves around his hands.

If he's close enough to talk to, I'll go to him. If that means I get burned, well, then I get burned.

"Steady, bud. Panic and freakiness are your worst enemies right now, man. Stay with us."

(I've had practice at this. I can probably safely assume that Dex has had at least one druggie friend who overdid things and got weird one night.)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 03:31:37 AM
You move over in his direction, focused on him. 

"Steady, bud. Panic and freakiness are your worst enemies right now, man. Stay with us."

Rolling 1d100:
(72): Total = 72
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 03:32:23 AM
His attention focuses on you.  You don't think your getting through.  Since your focused on him, and his hands, you notice that his sleeves are starting to singe.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 17, 2009, 03:49:29 AM
Bruce

"Are you OK ladies?" he asks the two girls, his head still swiveling from side to side, looking for rushing individuals.

What the hell is going on here! Bruce thinks as he sees the shimmering man and the fading woman.

Bruce's first urge is to get the hell out of here, this whole event feels like a powder keg ready to go up.....and the first match has been blown out...what about the second? On the other hand, he has just seen something really strange....what is going on?


"If you want to leave I'll take you girls out of here, just say the word."

All the while he stares at the shimmering man and the fading woman.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 17, 2009, 03:18:51 PM
Dex

(Still in the 'talking someone off a ledge' voice)

"C'mon man, chill out, calm down. I dunno what's got you goin, but you don't get to burn down my gig. It's over man, the moment has passed, we've lived through another day. Lemme snag you a soda or something, you look like a man who needs to relax."

Thinkin to myself, "Why am I the one doin this? There are bound to be people here who are better at this than I am, why hasn't one of em showed up?"

Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 06:58:56 PM
Bruce

Kira looks up at you, "I don't know if it's wise."  You can tell though that she sees the woman and the man as well.

The woman completely disappears from view, while multi-colored globes start to form around the man.
You hear a woman's scream coming from where the disappearing woman once stood.
You can tell that the man is starting to loose it.  He keeps looking at the balls, and then batting at them.  It becomes almost blinding to look at him.

Dex
Rolling 1d100:
(69): Total = 69
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 07:02:35 PM
Dex

He still seems agitated, and you don't think your getting through to him.  It's almost like the fire is taking control.

Rolling 1d100:
(20): Total = 20

Rolling 1d100:
(26): Total = 26

Rolling 1d100:
(46): Total = 46
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 07:04:45 PM
Theira

Deciding to go to the vigil, you left in plenty of time, but you kept getting stopped by every traffic light.
You have arrived just in time to see all hell break loose.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 07:08:08 PM
Dex Rolling 1d100:
(37): Total = 37

Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(20): Total = 20

Theira Rolling 1d100:
(26): Total = 26


Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 07:14:09 PM
ALL

Rev. McDougal's hymn is taken up by others.  Those close by can hear, cracking, fear choked voices signing out, and as they sing, become clear. 

Dex, the man in front of you is still agitated, but seems to be a little calmer.  As the man becomes calmer, you relax just a bit.  McDougal's hymn also seems to calm your nerves

Bruce, Kira and Cathy, and the others in the group, begin to sing.  Out of the corner of your eye, you notice Cathy holding her hands in prayer.  As you watch, the woman begins to reappear, and the colors around the man begins to fade.

Theira, as you approach, you feel calm, though you can see the chaos around you.  The something clicks.  You feel it.  Not the emotion, but something else.

Dex Rolling 1d100:
(48): Total = 48

Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(88): Total = 88

Theira Rolling 1d100:
(90): Total = 90

Theira Rolling 1d100:
(26): Total = 26
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 17, 2009, 07:18:38 PM
(I know I'm doing some rapid posts, but things are happening very quickly.  Remember, you can always go back a little to add elements...but remember, events are unfolding very rapidly).

Theira
, you suddenly feel that there is something very wrong.  Your eyes focus on the stage, and you know that something very bad is about to happen.

Dex, being sensitive to the stage, you feel the vibrations of movement.  Looking back, you see a woman approaching Rev McDougal.  The woman's right arm is out stretched, and she is pointing at him.  Her face is etched in rage.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 18, 2009, 12:55:17 AM
Dex

(muttered) "Aw hell, not again... dja ever just have one of those days?"

I'm going back to my console, quick. On the way I'm snaggin that spare mic I had a second ago. I swear if this woman does anything creepy I'm gonna bounce it off her forehead at speed.
Freaky can be fun for a little while, but this is starting to lose its charm, BIG TIME.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 18, 2009, 01:14:51 AM
(just to clarify, your moving away from the woman?  You mentioned bouncing the mic off her head if she does something freaky.  BTW...what would give you the idea that she's going to do something freaky.)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 18, 2009, 01:15:59 AM
Bruce

Ah well, the girls seem OK. At least if they're freaked out they're not showing it. All caught up in praying....well lets hope some of it works. Bruce thinks to himself as he looks from the praying girls to the man and woman who have had the strange happenings.

Bruce keeps a good eye on them in case something else happens. He will also look up towards the stage and generally around for the reactions of the police and security.

I'm starting to feel like coming here was a bad idea. I really don't want to be here anymore. The sooner this is over the better.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 18, 2009, 03:03:10 AM
Dex

Since the guy who was about to torch the place seems to be calming down a little, I'm moving away from him and back to my console, regardless of where the woman and the Reverend are. But I'm gonna have that mic handy to zing at her if need be. Unless I can find something that gives even better throw weight, more baseball-like.

Quote
BTW...what would give you the idea that she's going to do something freaky.)

What gives me the idea is this

Quote
Her face is etched in rage.

combined with fresh experience of this

Quote
Dex, you see a man close to you who is looking very agitated.
Quote
You realize that the man is clinching and unclinching his fists.

this

Quote
You hear a voice shouting, "GOD"S Dead!  GOD's Dead!"  Looking over there is a force of police moving to where the gunman is, and you see the gunman take his own life.

and it was only what, yesterday, day before? ....that I watched a stadium full of people go completely.... Librarian poo.

 :lol:

Call me paranoid if ya want. "Etched in rage" is sending up "psycho having a bad hair day" flags. Seems to be a lot of that going around lately. After a shooting, someone apparently having to make himself not 'flame on' and a cop car nearly bringing the stage and lighting/sound truss overhead down around my ears, I'm not having a good day. I'll knock this woman cold before I'll let her make it still worse. If I won't let Johnny Torch over there toast my gig, I'm not gonna let Lil Miss Psycho attack the client, either.

(muttered) "Dammit, if I'm in an X-Men spinoff or somethin, why ain't I gettin a day rate for this? Where the *&^# is my contract?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 18, 2009, 03:25:09 AM
"Elijah!" cries the woman, "I feel the devil in you.  Satan has sway over you.  I can feel his power coming from you, taking over these people.  I will not allow this!"

Elijah is wracked with pain as the woman no longer points, but clenches her fist.  "if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you." 

Dex:  you see this as it unfolds.
Bruce: you notice people looking at the stage.  When you look, you notice Rev. McDougal kneeling on the stage, a woman approaching him with her hand clenched.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 18, 2009, 03:26:27 AM
Theira

You were aware of what was happening on the stage.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Dranthor on May 18, 2009, 03:59:53 AM
Theira

How far away from the woman am I?
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 18, 2009, 04:14:10 AM
Bruce

Bruce, noticing the activity on stage focusses his full attention on the scene. Ah crap.....it looks likes some nut-job is going to punch the rev! He seems to be the one calming everyone down.....if he gets socked, this place could go ape s*** again and I'll see the invisble girl and globe man start up.

Bruce is nervous and edgy. He is acutely aware of how finely balanced events are here at the vigil. He really doesn't want to get caught in another riot....in fact, he is over the whole thing and wants to leave. He stays for the girl's sake.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 18, 2009, 04:19:27 AM
Where is Security in all this? There are people here being paid to keep this kinda stuff from happening, no? Where are they and what are they doing? Cos I'm about ----> <---- this close to zingin a mic at high speed at this woman's head. I'd rather not, sorting out the crazies isn't my gig, I'm neither equipped nor trained for it.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 18, 2009, 06:11:48 PM
(Security converged on the man who shot the gun.  The guards/body guards of the people on stage started to hustle the dignitaries off of the stage.  Rev. McDougal stayed, while the others were escorted away.  The other guards/police went into the crowd to stop what appeared to be a riot starting.)

Setting: 
Dex is on stage, about 10 ft (~3m) from Rev. McDougal, and 15 ft (4.5m) away from the woman.
Bruce is about 30 feet (~9m) from the stage, making it roughly 40 ft (~12m) to the woman, with a leap to get on stage.  Bruce is also still effected by the Rev's calm.
Theira is about 60 ft (~18m) away, through a crowd of people.

The distracted guards, now aware of the threat, are starting to move back to the stage.  Consider them surprised currently.

Consider this a clarification.  Now is time to declare your actions.
NOTE:  This is still free formed combat.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 18, 2009, 11:50:44 PM
Dex

Okay, so Security is there, but they won't be there soon enough to do any good. That's all I needed to know.

She gets a mic to the forehead. Zingin it good and hard too, a mic doesn't really have the weight to kill somebody so I'm not worried.

Just for the record, one of the common things at the sound console of any gig is a little in-line filter commonly called an I-9. They're each about 3 inches long, a little less than the diameter of a dime, and weigh perhaps 3-6 oz. (80-150g) each. I'll bet you I have at least half a dozen of them handy. The moment that mic leaves my hand, I'm gettin a handful of em, in case that shot misses.

She should be glad I'm not slingin a crescent wrench at her. I will if I have to, but I'm hoping to just knock her silly rather than killing her.
Whatever, but she doesn't get to attack the client. No.

(Tactical note: Take a sidestep if necessary to clear the range of Rev. McDougal.)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Dranthor on May 19, 2009, 12:31:26 AM
Theira

I will push my way forward  to the stage. If I have an ID I will use it to get through as if I'm a cop.  Try to do it quickly so I can stop the female.  Watch the crowd as best I can for strangeness.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 19, 2009, 02:14:13 AM
(If Bruce is under the effects of calm, is he motivated to be able to take any action?)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 19, 2009, 02:15:36 AM
(No, Bruce is not compelled, but your slightly delayed in taking aggressive actions).
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 19, 2009, 02:31:06 AM
Bruce

Bruce stares at the unfolding events with a rather vacant look.
That crazy woman is going to punch the reverand he thinks over and over to himself. Someone has gotta do something, or this place is gonna go up. Im not letting anyone more friends die! he fumes.

Bruce says a quick "wait here, I'll be back soon" to Kira and then starts to push his way through the crowd towards the stage.

If he sees the woman try and make an agressive move on the preacher, he will yell out "Hey! Hey stop you crazy b**ch!"
 
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 19, 2009, 03:04:24 AM
Light begins to shimmer around the woman, "let God Judge the Wicked!:

Theira, you pull your badge and start running toward the stage.  It's a strange sensation, dodging all of these people, finding the gaps that seem to get you through faster.  (You will get to the stage, but will be unable to act further this round).

Bruce, you begin to move away from the girls, and then you see the woman glowing.  Starting to run, you move as fast as you can.  Your making good time, but as you leap, your foot catches on the stage, making you stagger.

Dex, with a quick snap, you throw the microphone.  Suddenly, it's like a knife cut through your head.  Before you close your eyes, and clench your head, you notice two things:
1)  All of the I-9's seem to have been flung at the woman.
2)  There is a man approaching the stage going faster than an Olympic runner.

The microphone goes wide, landing next to one of the security guards rushing the stage.  But two of the I-9's strike the woman in the chest, taking her breath.

Having caught his leg on the stage, Bruce is unable to make contact with the woman.

The woman clenches her hand, and as she does, the light surrounding her becomes dark (think black light).  At the same moment, the same light develops around McDougal.  He just looks at her and say, "I forgive you."

(The security forces will come on the scene at the end of this round.  Unlike Bruce and Theira, their having to really work to get through the crowd).
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 19, 2009, 04:13:39 AM
Dex

If that isn't enough to break what she's doing, I'll dive for her. Body check. If I get her, once I have her I'm gonna punch her in the head until she goes unconscious.

There are 3 people with authority to say what happens on this stage, maybe 4. Me, the lighting director, the stage manager and maybe the client. Sorry lady, I don't care what yer problem is. You want to kill him, kill him later, somewhere else.

You don't get to torch my gig.

You don't get to crash my stage.

You don't get to attack my client.

I am DONE puttin up with this ^%#$%!!!


I never thought simple rules like those would be so hard.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 19, 2009, 04:52:34 AM
(Bruce's next actions will depend on the situation once he has gotten to his feet from tripping over the stage)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 19, 2009, 08:53:45 PM
The situation is still bad, and the I-9's seemed to enrage her even more.  "I'll send your Demons back to Hell," she yells.
(Security forces have an effective initiative modifier of 0, so your still the front line.  I will assume that Bruce and Theira will also try to tackle the woman.  Dex, who is enraged with the frustration of having the night ruined, and the stabbing pain in his head, throws himself at the woman.)

Bruce quickly recovers his balance and runs toward the woman.  As he moves close, his arm moves out.  As he passes, he grabs her, throwing her to the ground.  (For the people watching, it is like seeing a martial arts movie.  For Bruce:  you've never studied martial arts, but it seems your body knows what it's doing).

Theira finished moving onto the stage, and moves toward the downed woman.  She's stymied for a moment, as her action was to tackle the woman, who is now on the ground, with this martial arts master standing above her. 

Dex, enraged at all the disrespect, leaps toward the woman.  (As Bruce's body seems to know what to do, your subconscious knows that your not the most physical person-statwise.  So, your subconscious takes over).  Another blinding headache begins as you leap.  While your body collapses to the stage, you feel your awareness, your anger, your rage, your frustration lash out at the woman.  Those around the woman see the stage floor begin to ripple from Dex's body, the ripples gaining speed as the move toward the woman.  Suddenly the floor beneath the woman explodes.  (NOTE: Only Bruce and Theira see the ripples).

Bruce back steps from the growing ripples, moving away as the floor explodes.

The woman, who was prone, is not so lucky.  Shards of the flooring rip through her prone body, spraying blood around the stage.  While conscious, she can barely move.  Her abdomen and back are bruised and bloodied, and you can see bits of the stage sticking out of her arms and head as she tried to stand up.  She says, "Lord, heal your servant," and you see the wounds starting to close.

(Based on Theira's earlier post).  As this occurs, Theira, who still has a bad feeling, moves over and kicks the woman in the chest.  Being slightly off-balanced from the jagged floor, Theira barely connects, and just seems to enrage the woman.

At this time, police make it onto the stage and pull their guns on the woman.  She does not look like she will surrender though.  As she raises her hand to them, one of the cops, a woman, tasers her.  Her jolting body falls limp.

Meanwhile, Rev. McDougal has started a new hymn.  Most of the crowd seems relived that he is safe, and happily sing along.
Others are starting to leave, though in a more orderly fashion.  A few are looking to the stage in shock.

The security forces quickly move the woman from the stage, while a medic goes over to Dex (he is bleeding from nose and eyes currently, and is unconscious). 

After the Hymn, Rev. McDougal waves to the security, and they don't take Bruce or Theira from the stage.  He then says.  "It seems our vigil for the fallen has been disrupted by those with darkened hearts.  Let us pray for forgiveness and mercy."  After the prayer, he says, "take the candles with you, and light them at home.  May they be a reminder of the light of God within each of us, and may they light our way through these dark times."

As people leave, the Rev. moves over to Dex, and motions Bruce and Theira over.

(as always, feel free to interject.  A lot just happened, so go on and give reactions).
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 19, 2009, 09:57:51 PM
Dex

-------------------


Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 20, 2009, 03:29:29 AM
(assuming no interjections).

The medic breaks a small flask, and waves it under Dex's nose.  The smell quickly wakes Dex up.  The medic then proceeds to hold up fingers and ask Dex a series of questions. 

Meanwhile, security guards and police form up around Rev. McDougal, and try to get him off the stage.  "Gentlemen, please.  I'm alright thanks to these good people.  You need to be seeing to the people around here."  He waves his hands.  "Make sure they get to their cars safely."

"Sir, we can not leave you with no guards, not after this attack," says a man who, by the strips on his jacket, indicates that he has some rank. 

"Lt. Samuel, do you believe there is still a threat?"

The Lt. nods, to which McDougal says, "then leave two of your officers." 

Theira, your heightened sense indicate that there are a few other people in the shadows, but they seem to be here to support Rev. McDougal.

Once everything is settled, Elijah McDougal comes over to the three of you.  He asks the medic to leave, then says to Theira and Bruce, "I take it that you were at the game?"  (assuming the affirmative).

"There are things we need to discuss my friends.  Will you join me for some dinner?"

Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Dranthor on May 20, 2009, 03:33:03 AM
Theira
"I would be honored to join you. I too think there is much we should discuss."  Their will say to Elijah.  Theira will shake a little as she remembers the vision she had. It is barely visible.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 20, 2009, 04:08:57 AM
Does 'the three of you' mean Theira, Bruce and Dex? Or who?
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 20, 2009, 04:11:45 AM
(Yes, it includes the recently revived Dex).
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 20, 2009, 04:16:13 AM
Dex

Quote
While your body collapses to the stage, you feel your awareness, your anger, your rage, your frustration lash out at the woman.  Those around the woman see the stage floor begin to ripple from Dex's body, the ripples gaining speed as the move toward the woman.  Suddenly the floor beneath the woman explodes.  (NOTE: Only Bruce and Theira see the ripples).

Bruce back steps from the growing ripples, moving away as the floor explodes.

The woman, who was prone, is not so lucky.  Shards of the flooring rip through her prone body, spraying blood around the stage.  While conscious, she can barely move.  Her abdomen and back are bruised and bloodied, and you can see bits of the stage sticking out of her arms and head as she tried to stand up.  She says, "Lord, heal your servant," and you see the wounds starting to close.

Just how conscious was I for that? In other words, how aware am I of what happened and to what degree, if any, it connects to me?
There's some stuff that happened in the last minute or so that really bad wants to be called hallucination... but there's a fair amount that can't be shrugged off, too.

Speaking of which, where's Johnny Flame? And how's his shirt look?
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 20, 2009, 04:32:33 AM
(You remember you head hurting.  Then you remember seemingly to travel across the stage to strike the woman.  As for Johnny Flame, he is sitting on his blanket alone, sorta staring into the distance.  You seem to remember that there were people with him.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 20, 2009, 05:07:39 AM
BTW, yes I'll go with him.

So.... in other words, I'm not really aware that I did anything beyond punching the woman.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 20, 2009, 05:25:33 AM
Bruce

Bruce is still amazed at the experience he has just had where he saw himself, seemingly on autopilot perform moves out of somekung-fu movie. With the rippling he saw and the woman healing such severe injuries, things are getting pretty surreal for Bruce

"Yeah, erh, I was at the game.......are you ok Sir?" he asks the reverend.

Am I losing it? Or am I really still in the hospital and this is all a hallucination from some brain injury?  he wonders

"Sure, I'll go to dinner, but I'm here with some friends. I better let them know whats going on so they dont worry....they're big fans of yours! he says with a smile.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 20, 2009, 04:28:55 PM
Noting that Dex may have to clean up, Rev. McDougal calls one of his assistants to call Muse and explain the situation, and that Rev. McDougal will personally see that Mr. Kennedy has proper medical care. 

He looks to Bruce, "by all means, make your farewells to your friends."  When he hears that they are fans, he adds, "they should be fans of God, not me."  He was about to say something, but then changes his mind.  "Let me come and make your apologizes."

Before joining Bruce, he looks to Theira, "where are my manners, I'm Elijah McDougal, and you are?"

"I met Mr. Kennedy earlier," and looking to Dex, "and I must say that I am pleased that you were the one who took this," he thinks for a moment, "gig."

To both Theira and Dex, "my assistant will make sure you are taken care of until my return."

He then joins Bruce, "and to you I apologize."  He reaches out to shake Bruce's hand, "I'm Elijah, and you are?"  (my assumption is that you give him your name).

You walk over to Cathy and Kira, and the Elijah addresses them, "ladies, I apologize but I have need to speak to Bruce.  I will have some of the flock come over and make sure you get home safely."  Cathy is starry eyed now that Rev. McDougal has spoken to her personally.  Kira, has eyes for Bruce.

"Bruce, what you did was wonderful!"  She reaches over and kisses you on the cheek.  "I understand that the Rev. wants to talk to you personally.  Give me a call later though."

They gather up what they brought, and their other friends.  McDougal calls over some men, and tells them to escort the ladies home.  Before they leave, he looks to Cathy and Kira.  "I hope you will attend services this Sunday."

(I'll post more after my meetings)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 20, 2009, 05:12:29 PM
When Elijah returns with Bruce, Theira and Dex have been shown to a stretch limo.  Elijah and Bruce enter, where upon Elijah calls the Driver.  "Take us to the Ranch David.  Call ahead and make sure that there is something for dinner." 

After hanging up the phone, Elijah looks to you, "we are safe in here.  It is completely private.  There are also some drinks if you like."  Chuckling, "there is no alcohol, but your welcome to the colas, water or fruit juices."

"I assume that each of you was at the game a few days ago.  Something happened there, and I am not sure that it was of God if you know what I mean.  Whatever happened unlocked something in each of us."  He raises his hand to stop any protest.  "I saw your speed," he says as he looked at Bruce.  Looking at Theira, he adds, "and the way that you deftly dodged people as you moved toward the stage."  Then looking at Dex, "and you," he says with is eyes wide, "how those small items flew at Denise, and then how you blew up part of the stage."

"I'm sure that you noticed that some of the people in the audience were also showing what could only be described as miraculous manifestations."  Again, he attempts to prevent interruption, "now, our Lord said, 'this and more will you be able to do,' but I'm not sure if this was the intent."

He shakes his head, "but all is within the plan of God," he says with his hands peaked for prayer."

"What happened at the game was bad, but I fear that this will be worse.  TV cameras caught a lot of this, as did private people.  If not on TV, what occurred, Denise glowing if nothing else, will be across the internet in hours.  The world is about to change, and fast."

"A few of my parishioners have come to me with their struggles, and after tonight, I have come up with a plan.  I want to gather whoever I can, and together, with God's help, try to learn how to deal with these unlocked gifts of God.  I saw tonight that you have good hearts.  Where others stood gripped in fear, you three took up the call to stop a wrong.  Will you join me?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 20, 2009, 06:47:57 PM
Dex


"Um... Reverend, I'm flattered and all, but.... are you sure you've got the right guy? Those 'small items' flew through the air because I threw them. And I blew up the stage? I think that part happened while I was unconscious. I don't claim to know who did it or how, but I missed it."
"I'm just a stagehand and a sound guy, Reverend. When Security couldn't be there I tried to stand in their shoes, and I sucked at it. Maybe not as badly as no one at all, but that doesn't mean I did anything special either."
"I won't say I'm not a miracle... but no more so than every baby ever born, no more so than the cotton in your shirt."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 20, 2009, 11:57:54 PM
"I've seen some seriously strange stuff in the last few days. I don't mind sayin I don't have a good explanation for any of it. But so far the only weird ability I seem to have is this uncanny knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 21, 2009, 12:07:03 AM
Bruce

Bruce garabs a diet cola and sips on it thoughtfully as he listens to the Reverend speak, then Dex. He nods along at what Dex is saying, especially at the "doesn't mean I did anything special" part.

After Dex finishes Bruce speaks up. "Look, I don't really know what I did, I was just heading up to the stage and then it was like I was watching myself take that woman down. All I do know is that things have been pretty emotional and strange since the game......and tonight I saw some things that really weirded me out....a woman dissappearing and some guy that had all these coloured globes move around him. Im sure I'm not the only one who saw that, so your dead right about it being all over the news soon.

You say you can help me...er us, deal with whats happening? What do you have in mind?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 21, 2009, 03:30:27 AM
"Dex," says Elijah, "I felt what you did.  Even now I can feel something about you, trying to move.  The same for you Bruce.  God has awoken something in us, and we must learn to live with what is happening."

"I know it does not feel real.  It still does not feel real to me, but you saw how my words mesmerized those at the vigil.  I may be persuasive, but not I have never controlled them as I did this night.  Though I may not show it, it scares me.  Yet that is not the only thing that scares me.  What frightens me even more is what happens will happen when people start to realize that there are humans who are demonstrating miraculous powers."

Theira, as he speaks, you indeed start to see visions. People bowing to individuals as new saviors.  Persecution as witches.  Families divided.  Murder of those deemed unclean.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 21, 2009, 03:56:52 AM
Dex

"Well Reverend, I suppose you wouldn't do what you do if it weren't that you have a knack for pulling core truths out of confusion."
"I won't claim to know whether I did anything, or what, or how. That doesn't mean I don't believe it, it just means that I'm okay with starting ignorant and adding as I go. But regardless of who did what, or who awoke what, one thing is guaranteed. In some of us at least, a lot of people who were at the game it seems, something has been changed, 'awoken' you called it. And regardless of what it is or where it came from, we're all gonna have to learn a whole lot really fast on how to live with it. Which of us do weird stuff and which don't ain't the point anymore."
"We all saw people doin crazy stuff. Again. I'm not talkin about the stuff you can't explain, I'm talkin about the stuff that's all too familiar and all too human. The rage. The killing."
He closes his eyes. "People goin crazy and killin each other in ways and for reasons even they don't understand. Behold your future, boys and girls. We'll be lucky if this ain't a typical day by this time next year."
"That's what we gotta stop from happening. Everything else is gravy."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 21, 2009, 05:08:41 AM
Bruce

Sits back sipping his cola and thinks for a while.

"Dex, I agree with with what you're saying and we do have to stop this madness from happening.....but I think exactly who does what will come to be an issue. As soon as this becomes public,  I'll tell you what will happen. You can bet that the government are going to want to know exactly what is going on.....You won't be able to snap your fingers without some agency having a file as thick as a phone book on every 'awoken' person that has used their ability in public. I'll bet you before long there will be registered lists of 'awoken' people, then licenses and restrictions on what people can and cant do......you can also bet if the government wants these folks controlled, they will have their own 'awoken' people in order to accomplish it! People like them....er...like us.....will be monitored, spied on, regulated and......."

Bruce's voice trails off from excited to aprehensive as he adds ".....and I don't want to be put or a list....or dragged into some sort of lab to be experimented on! I'm in!"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 21, 2009, 06:47:16 AM
Dex

"Well yeah, there is that. If I ain't got the patience to do the same old job in the same old place to the same old schedule 40 hours a week for years on end, I sure as hell ain't got the patience to be government test subject number 341A. I'd end up hurtin somebody."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Dranthor on May 21, 2009, 11:24:39 PM
Theira

"We got to do something or else there will be chaos.  Witch hunts, people worshiping those with powers , all sots of things"    I say softly after seeing the visions.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 23, 2009, 02:22:20 AM
Elijah looks to Theira, "do you have visions?"

"You are right Ms. Hastur.  There will be chaos, and," he turns to look at Dex, "I have no desire to be a experiment or put into an internment camp until they figure out what is happening.  That's why I want to find people, bring them together, and try to keep our abilities hidden."

The phone rings.  "Yes...there is what...," while still on the phone, "Bruce, could you turn on that television and turn it to channel 3?"

On the TV, there is a special report.  The voice of the reporter describs the attack at the vigil, but the image on the screen show the people.  In the main frame is the woman who was attacking Elijah, first glowing with light, and then black light.  But in the lower left hand corner is a woman, and it is snowing around her.

"This has just gotten worse."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 23, 2009, 03:03:34 AM
Bruce

"This is all getting really crazy, really fast....How many people can do these sort of things? Is is just those who where there at the stadium?"

He turns to the others and shrugs his shoulders, sighs and with a resolute tone says "So...
what are we going to do about it?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 23, 2009, 03:46:47 AM
Dex

"It occurs to me that if I ain't safe, Theo ain't safe either. He was workin the Braves gig with me."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Dranthor on May 23, 2009, 04:07:43 AM
theira

 "I don't know if it is visions  or what but sometimes I see things.  I saw someone killing people in the hospital and I think that she saw me. It scared me.'  I shudder and continue "If I am seeing the future then it will be horrible unless we can do something. I'm just not sure what."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 23, 2009, 04:31:22 AM
"I don't think that we will be in danger tonight, or even tomorrow."  Elijah thinks for a few minutes, "has he displayed any abilities?  If not, he may be safe for a while."  After a few more moments, "were you or he questioned by the police after the game?  If so, then they may have records of you."

"If you want to get him, then we'll get him.  Otherwise we can get him until tomorrow."

After listening to Theira, "someone killing people in the hospital?"  He considers this for a moment, "I have heard that there have been a lot of unexplained deaths, but..."  he just trails off in thought.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 23, 2009, 04:41:35 AM
Dex

"I don't think he's shown any abilities, but then I'm not sure I have either. He's had headaches. And yeah, we were questioned before we left, pretty much everyone was I think. We were some of the first ones out though, before the hammer really came down."
"He's probably as safe at the gig as anywhere right now, but... if I stop showin up places, you know the first person they'll want to talk to is Theo. And if he gives em straight answers, not knowing any better.... he'll end up bein a test animal in my place. No thanks, I don't accept that one. See what I mean?"
"Tomorrow? Sure. Just as long as it's before anyone starts wonderin where I went."

"Although.... really, it's easy enough for Theo and me to drop off the map without raisin a fuss. All we need is an out of town gig."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 23, 2009, 05:06:03 AM
"Why don't you give Theo a call, and ask him to meet you later tonight." 

He thinks about things again, "I was hoping that we would have enough time.  I have a lot of contacts, and as far as the police know, I left before the attack.  I might be able to get us some time." 

After a few moment, "if you know anyone else who may have been effected, call them.  We'll have them meet us at the church retreat."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on May 23, 2009, 05:44:07 AM
Dex

"Theo...Dex. How's the wrap goin?....... Well I'll try to get back, but you can wrap it without me easy enough. Gotta question, Theo.... are you up for another gig tomorrow, lookin it over tonight? The Rev wants us to look this over, and if we get it... well I dunno, probably day rate at least tomorrow, beyond that I can't guess."
"Aw c'mon man, sleep is for mortals. Are you in? Okay cool, if I'm not back before everything's out, call me when the truck is loaded."
"I'll keep in touch. Laters."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 23, 2009, 06:14:45 AM
"Sure thing Dex.  I have to get back tomorrow to finish prepping the truck for this weekend, but I'll come over.  Hell, that's what coffee is for!"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on May 29, 2009, 07:02:51 AM
Bruce

Bruce has been listening all this time and his face darkens when he hears the Reverend say "I hear that there have been alot of unexplained deaths.." and his brow furrows into a frown. Slowly he looks up at the Reverend and says very slowly.

"What do you mean unexplained deaths? Deaths in Hospitals? What is going on?" he makes eye contact with the Reverend. "I was at the game with a friend.....we both got hurt and send to hospital......I survived....and later found out my Mathew didn't. He died in that hospital. What do you know?"
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on May 31, 2009, 04:46:04 PM
"I'm afraid very little Bruce.  I have been told that there have been a significant number of deaths among people admitted to hospitals from the game.  What was strange is that they all died from unexplained brain death."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on June 01, 2009, 12:10:43 AM
Bruce

Bruce clenches his teeth, the muscles in his jaw pulse as he grinds his teeth. His hands tighten into fists as he tries to contain his surging emotions.

"Unexplained brain death......Thats what the hospital staff told me happened to my friend."

Holding back some obvious beginnings of tears, he adds "What ever you need Reverend, count me in."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 01, 2009, 12:26:14 AM
Elijah leans over and takes Bruce's hand.  "I'm sorry for your loss."  He closes his eyes, seemingly in prayer.

"I'm going to need to start making phone calls.  If there is anyone else you think could help us, go on and call them.

Elijah starts making phone calls about what's happening, and trying to contact people to stop the spread of these "doctored images" hitting the media. 

"Such sensationalism just can't be tolerated."

It might give people a day or so, but you all have the sense that things are going to change quickly.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on June 01, 2009, 02:29:43 AM
Dex

"Hmmm... It occurs to me that you could buy yourself some time, maybe even stop the threat posed by 'those doctored images' with one simple sentence, showing up in comments wherever they get posted:"

"Ain't Photoshop cool?"

"I mean, seems like a lot of people believed in that doctored picture of a woman on top of the WTC with a plane coming in right behind her, right after 9/11, too. But in less than a month, the attitude was 'Yeah okay, nice job of fooling everyone.' I don't see why you couldn't get the same response here, especially if enough people from the vigil said no, I was there, that's not what happened."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 01, 2009, 02:35:58 AM
"Excellent idea."

Into the phone, "did you hear that?"  Looking up, "Dex, could you say that again?"  Assuming you do, Elijah continues.  "It can not look blatant.  Talk to Fred over at CNN.  He owes me a favor.  Also, talk to Sarah.  That kid is really into blogging and is computer savy.  She may be able to get the word out..."

The conversation continues with new plans.

All the while, the car continues on to the reverend's retreat.

(I'm going to see if Theira has anything to add.  Will continue this thread tomorrow with what happens at the retreat).
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Dranthor on June 01, 2009, 04:05:03 AM
Theira

I willthink on what he is trying to do and see if I can have a vision.  I concentrated hard. (of course I know I probably won't but got to try)

"It depends on what the people at the vigil really saw. Maybe it will work a little while but with allthe strangeness I don't know how long it will work." I say.  "I will do what I can to help but I still will have to go to work I don't think the ME would like it if I didn't show up. So much work to be done still.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on June 01, 2009, 01:24:41 PM
Dex

"Well I don't know how well it'll work either, but remember it was a stage. Ya know what stagehands do for a living? They fool people into thinking they saw or heard things other than what was actually there, that's what. I once watched a dozen hands spend four hours building the Wailing Wall for a church gig out of styrofoam, plywood and paint, but that doesn't mean the church suddenly got transported to Jerusalem."
"Maybe that's why I'm having a little trouble accepting all this. I've spent too many years watching people create things out of tape and paint that flat can't exist in the real world. But none of that changes the fact that if you see it from the back, it's just tape and paint."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 01, 2009, 04:54:45 PM
"I agree with you Theira that it won't hold the wolves at bay for ever.  There are a lot of strange things happening, and it won't be long before there is no way to keep things hidden.  As for work, I will make sure you make it there on time tomorrow."

"Dex, I know it is difficult, especially for an illusionist like yourself.  Just trust in yourself for now.  I hope we can get a handle on some of what has happened before things get really out of control."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on June 01, 2009, 07:22:28 PM
Dex

"That's just exactly what I'm doing, Reverend. I have no problem accepting that something really strange has happened, and is still happening, to a lot of people. And I may be one of them, and I'm okay with that I guess. We'll see when I know what it is."
"But the only thing I know beyond that is that just cos you see something doesn't mean it's real, and just cos something's real doesn't mean you'll see it."

"It's okay Rev, really it is. Saying 'I don't know' doesn't scare me."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 02, 2009, 04:01:38 PM
Theira sits comfortably with her eyes closed, listening to the discussion, when she suddenly begins to convulse (Theira, click here for your vision (http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=3975.msg124840#msg124840)).  Her nose and eyes are bleeding, then her body relaxes with a sigh.

Elijah calls to the driver, and the car's speed increases.

"The ranch is close, and has medical facilities.  It's not a hospital, but we also have a helicopter if we need to get her somewhere quick."

With a few minutes, and after running a few red lights, the limo pulls up to a ranch.  Two men are carrying a stretcher, and help get Theira into the building.  Elijah looks to Bruce and Dex, "Dr. Watts will keep us informed.  She is a member of the congragation, and agreed to come when she new what was happening.  She was also at the game."

Your greeted at the door of what looks to be a lodge house by a young man dressed in a crisp white shirt and kaki pants.  "Rev., all is ready for you.  Brother Mathis, Brother Wilcox and Sister Matthews are here already.  There are also refreshments waiting for you and your guests.

Elijah stops and looks the boy in the eye, saying, "thank you Billy."  You see that he takes the time to really be present with each person he talks to, at least when he can.  The boy smiles with deep and sincere admiration (close to hero worship), and goes on his way.

Your shown into a meeting room, and three people are sitting there.  "Reverend," says a man around 30 as he stands.  The others follow suit.  

Looking to Dex and Bruce, Elijah introduces the people present, "Dex, Bruce, I would like you to meet Brother Luke Mathis," the man around 30, who has sandy blonde hair and hazel eyes.  "And this is Brother Mark Wilcox," the second man, average in height, has brown hair and eyes.  "And this is Sister Mary Matthews,"  a thin woman in her mid-twenties, with blonde hair and blue eyes.  While pleasant looking, you can easily see that she is a woman who get's her way.

Looking at them, Elijah says, "Mark, Luke, where are your wives and babies?  They need to be here.  Mary, where's John?"

They mumble a bit, then Mary says, "Reverend, we respect you and all, buy why did you have us come here?  At this hour?"

"Have you seen what happened at the vigil?"

"I heard something on the news," says Luke, "but that's it."

"Each of you came to me complaining of headaches, and strange things happening.  Well, hell broke loose tonight at the Vigil."  The three parishoners look shocked at the Reverend.  "What I mean is that things were moving on their own, people floating, people seeming to be engulfed in flames, and many more.  Something happened at that game, and we quickly need to find out what before innocent people get hurt."
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 05, 2009, 08:15:02 PM
((Sorry everyone, got busy again.  I'll post tomorrow, but in the mean time, is there anything anyone wants to say to the new characters?)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on June 06, 2009, 02:09:43 AM
*nods a welcome*

(Don't want to seem hostile or aloof, but this is the Reverend's gig, I'll let him get on with it.)
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on June 06, 2009, 03:55:51 AM
Bruce

"Hey, how ya doing"

(same for Bruce. He is firmly in the passenger seat for now.)

Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 09, 2009, 03:32:04 AM
(No problem, just wanted to give people the opportunity).

"Where's my manner," says Elijah, "Mark, Luke, Mary, meet Dex, Bruce and Theira.  They're good people who helped me out at the vigil.  Like you, something is happening to them."

"Now Reverend," says Mark, "this is all crazy.  You seem to think that we've changed some how.  I admit that strange things are happening, but that does not make it the work of the Lord."

"Your right in a way Mark,"  Elijah sits down at the table, "this was not started for a Godly purpose, but I believe that it is the Will of God that now directs us." 

He takes a few minutes.  "I didn't want to tell ya'll this right now, but I think I must."  He looks over to each of you, then his flock.  "Luke, do you remember Tabitha?"

"That young woman with the small child?"

"Yes, that's her."

"Is she alright?  She was doing so well at the center."

"Yes, she was.  I worked it out the social services to have meet her child in a public supervised place.  The boy loves baseball, so they came with me to the game."

"I lost track of Tabitha during the chaos.  I was carrying young Thomas at the time.  After we got out, I sent people to look for her.  Theresa, one of my assistants," he says looking to you, "found out that she was taken to Grady."

"After making sure that Thomas was cared for, I went to see her."  He bows his head, his pain radiating from him.  When he looks up, you see tears on his face, "she was so badly beaten."  He takes a handkerchief out and wipes his eyes, and takes a deep breath.

"I knelt down by her bed, and began to pray.  The nurse had told me that she had not awoken, but when I raised my head, I saw her looking at me.  Her hand twitched, and I somehow knew that she wanted to hold my hand.  I did, thinking of saying a prayer, but that is not what happened."

"As I held her hand, my mind was suddenly filled with visions."  He shakes his head, "they were just scattered images, fleeting glimpses of people and places.  Then I heard her voice, 'we are children of God, as is this gift, but he released to cause chaos.  You must stand against the chaos.”
“She passed out, and I left the room dazed, no, frightened.”  He shakes his head, “when I returned, she had passed.  I couldn’t stand with her during this trial.  I knew something was happening to me, and to others.  Like you Mark, I mistrusted this.  I saw it as a sign of the end of times, but now I know that we are needed to stand against the coming chaos that Tabitha saw.”
“Then is this the rapture?  We’re not the faithful to be taken up?  Is this a test of our faith?”
“I have struggled with these same questions Mary, and read Revelations again and again today.  All I can say is what is in my heart.  I have heard of no one being taken up into heaven, but there is a darkness coming.  Theira has seen it in her visions, and yes, she has visions.  Whether this heralds the coming of the anti-Christ or not, this is a darkness that opposes the Will of God, and we must stand against it.”















Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: rmax on June 22, 2009, 10:28:20 PM
<I'm going to wrap up the meeting, and see what ya'll want to do with what the Reverend suggests>

After revealing Mary's vision, the Reverend silently prays.  You can tell that not all the people around the table are convinced.  Elijah's revelation is a little out there, but strange things are happening around the town.

After the prayer, "someone brought this chaos to us, and people are needlessly dying.  We must find out who and why.  Tabitha has seen visions, and Bruce has known someone who died.  We must find answers.  Still, we could all do with a good meal and some sleep.  Call those you think can help, or anyone who may know something."

With that, Elijah goes and get's a plate of food.

<I know that Dex is going to talk to Elijah about getting any video footage, or reliable witnesses, i.e., the crew, and about Ashton.  Are there any other contacts or ideas people want to present?  Elijah has rooms ready for anyone, but if anyone wants to go home, he will direct his driver to take you there.>
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: GrumpyOldFart on June 23, 2009, 01:06:26 AM
Well you already have what's on my plate... but I'll add that the next time it's convenient, I'd like to go get my own car. I dislike having my mobility be dependent on others.
Title: Re: The Vigil
Post by: Usdrothek on June 23, 2009, 05:40:55 AM
(Bruce has already volunteered to do what he can and I guess he is waiting for some more concrete direction from the Rev. He will mention/offer to the Reverend his skills as a security system/data installer. Then I suppose Bruce will get some much needed sleep.)