Real Roleplaying Forums

The Archive => The Trophy Case => A Drop in the Ocean (Blue Planet) => Topic started by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 26, 2005, 08:18:09 PM

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 26, 2005, 08:18:09 PM
Plot Summary: A group of researchers employed by the Anasi Corperation have gone missing. The Anasi Corperation do not have permanent "facilities" upon the water planet of Poseidon. So a compeletly "Off-World" Team of investigators has been assembled to discover what has happened to them.

Arriving at the Independant settlement/Spaceport of Kingston, they find that their team is two be rounded off by a couple of hired hands (A Pilot and a "Intrusion Expert") and also, somewhat surprisingly a member of the G.E.O. (Global Enviromental Organisation, the nearest thing to a police force.) who apparently is being taken along as an "Observer".

After an informal briefing by Kingstons "Unoffical" G.E.O. Marshall, where the group are told the last known location of the missing researchers and their method of travel to that location.  Also appraisal of some satellite scans of their destination (an island far to the North) reveals that an area of the island is either absorbing or has been shielded against surveillance.

The group discover that the original party had been ferried to the island of Pettibone (which is inexcess of 2000km away) and that they used a heavy lift jump ship to transport them and their equipment there (refuelling midway).

The jumpship was chartered by Anasi and the pilot (an on-worlder) ferried them to the island then departed.

The characters have been provided with a ulilty jumpship and have followed the original parties trail. After a few days of travel (and a couple of encounters with the indigenous fauna of the planet) they arrived at Pettibone.

The action continues after the group arrive at the island, disembarked from their jumpship and headed inland of foot, leaving one of their group to guard the jumpship.

After travelling for several hours they arrived at a small apprently abandoned base in the middle of a jungle, finding that it was the cause of the sensor "hole" found on the satelite scans.

The party tentively moved in and investigated.....in then started to get dark. One of the party recalibated the "stealth" field so that it would act as a motion detector.

As it got darker and they had established a camp the alarms went off...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 28, 2005, 08:54:14 AM
The map of the camp.

The players are currently cmaped outside near the small vehicle (a hovercraft) in the centre, the small object to the right is the "Stealth Field Generator"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 30, 2005, 08:27:52 PM
James and Caio are currently about 10-15ft from the campfire, which is burning well. Illuminating most of the campsit to about 30ft out.

Suzanne having given her orders to Dr.Keene (To get the headlights on the hovercraft working), stands and scanning the perimter for movement.

Dr. Keene had got up and was preparing to start work on the hovercraft, he is the only one who has yet to draw a gun.

The Proximity alarm goes off...

Exactly at the same time as two creatures bound from the gloom close to Caio and James. (Within 15ft)

There is also a sudden amount of falling leaves as two more shapes fall from the trees....one at suzanne the other at Dr.Keene....

(OOC Please submit 10 percentile rolls each in the OOC Thread and include any INTENDED actions you wish your character to make...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 08, 2005, 03:39:23 PM
From the gloom emerge the first two creatures, which as they approach appear to be baboonlike, except slightly larger, heavier set and dark furred, with distended wolf-like jaws. They snarl, bare their fangs and prepare to charge.

The first tenses briefly and charges past and between both James and Ciao heading straight for Suzanne before either can react.  The second one seems indecisve and charges towards Ciao a few moments later.

Meanwhile from the trees...a third shape (having leapt slightly before the fourth) leaps down and sprawls next to Suzanne, who reaches for a burning brand, just as the last of the four launches itself from the trees with an unearthly tortured cry directly at Dr.Keene who scrambles away, trying to draw a weapon.

James turns swiftly and heads back to the hovercraft and towards the outnumbered Suzanne.

The one which had mistimed its jump rolls snarling to its feet... and launches itself at Suzanne as well.

Ciao manages to get three shots off at the on rushing creature...two of which hit, apparently to no real effect before being to forced to dodge a viscous bite aimed at his midriff.

The creatures set about Dr Keene, Ciao and Suzanne with little effect. Then James gets a telling shot onto one of the creatures rear limbs, it visably saggs and winces from the pain. In response, the second of the two leaps up and claws the torch from Suzannes left hand...she too winces and it falls, sputtering to the floor. Suzanne backs off away from the frenzied creature.

Ciao's next attack is inaccurate as he is forced, yet again, to dodge the wickedly fanged maw of the beast assaulting him.

Behind him, Dr Keene, fumbles to draw his own weapon, then fires it blindly at the creature just as it leaps for his neck.... he opens his eyes, to see the twitching form of the beast laying at his feet..

The injured creature heads away, limping badly towards the treeline ignored by Suzanne and James. Suzanne backs away just as the creature pounces. It falls twiching rom shock as its paw is shredded and bloody.

(Intentions and more die rolls in the OOC thread...Please. Verbal orders, Dialoge and IC Comments Here!)

Below is the situation as at the start of ROUND 6...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Fred on July 13, 2005, 06:35:36 AM
"James! A little help here, please!" Caio yells as he weaves and bobs, trying to get a clear shot and evade the creature's sharp teeth.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on July 13, 2005, 09:03:39 AM
Dr. Keene: looks around for something to hit #1 with. Swings it at #1, aiming for the head.
"Take that baboon-scum!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 16, 2005, 10:53:49 AM
Suzanne having drawn her gun stands ready to shoot if she gets a clear shot. Caio dodges whilst Dr Keene attempts to bludgeon the creature facing Caio. James considers a parting shot at the injured creature fleeing to the south but turns towards Caio's plea for assistance.

It is then that two more shapes appear out of the gloom, crawling across the top of the building directly to the North of Dr.Keene.

James is the first to spot them, then Suzanne. Dr.Keene only barely catches a slight sensation of movement as he races to engage the creature.

Caio remains oblivious being somewhat distracted.

(With the exception of Caio all characters may attempt to initiate action against the two new threats...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on July 16, 2005, 11:06:17 PM
Change of plans :) I still run at the creature to smash it's head, but let go of the weapon after the hit and I draw my gun and face the two new threats backing away from them if I still have the time.

Mostly dodging then, saving my hide. Firing a few shots if possible.

OOC: I like the way you described the combat :) Got a bit scared when I scrolled the page and saw something like 'dies' written with my name nearby, but luckily it was the ape that died :D
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 18, 2005, 01:12:30 PM
James:

"Keep close together guys, there's two more on the building!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 19, 2005, 04:44:05 PM
The injured creature snarls fiercely, swiping at the dodging Caio, who easily evades the creatures first strike a wcked claw. Frustrated it lunges forward with its distended jaws, over balances and slides past Caio, deperately tring to regain its balance.

James warns of the approach of the two baboonlike creatures on the roof then turns to face Caios opponent, as it lays sprawling on the ground. He waits a moment till its clear of Caio then shoots it in the leg at close range...the limb explodes into a bloodied mass as the remenants fly past Caio, who somewhat surprised attempts to react to the new two creatures.

One of the two creatures on the roof tenses and leaps towards the hovercraft, it falls short but unharmed, a mere 2 metres from Dr.Keene who is standing on the other side. It bounds over the small hovercraft and attacks Dr.Keene fortunately the Dr is able to twist away as a claw sycthes throught the air, where seconds earlier he had been. The other lets put a nervous chittering cry as it too prepares to leap.

Suzanne lets off a hail of fire at the remaining creature on the roof...the creature is spurred into hasty action as a close shot singes its fur. It scrambles then makes a leap for the hovercraft...it makes it but it lands awkwardly. Its rear left leg slamms heavily against the edge of the hovercraft.  Dispite the pain or perhaps due to adrenaline it stays consious and standing on the hovercraft as it snarls at the ill-prepared Dr.Keene.

Having disposed of Caios advesary, James turns to face the other two, however only one target remains clear ...so he fires at that. Dr Keene flinches as a hail of shots pass close by...the third slams into the leading leg of the creature on the hovercraft as it prepares to leap.It lets a pitiful scream as a sickening crack is heard as the bone fragments and ripps through the thin fur of its leg.

Again the Doctor is attacked, the creature obviously distracted by incoming fire its flailing agression allows the doctor to scramble out of the way.

Suzanne levels the gun and fires a shot ripping the creatures foot off. It slumps twitching for a few moments before dying.

The badly injured creature with a 6 inch piece of bone sticking out of its forearm falls from the hovercraft in a bit to escape..it too shudders and with a last rasping breath falls still.....

There are sounds all around now...there are obviously more of these creatures out there...their echoing cries remind you of crying children.

Caio, finally acting runs towards the cover of the building.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 20, 2005, 06:22:45 AM
James flashily reloads his pistol and spins it around before reholstering it.

"That's enough monkeying around for one night.  Good job Ciao was here to distract them for us."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on July 20, 2005, 09:09:57 AM
Is the hovercraft in working order?

if so: "Guys, shall we get out of here... looks like a limitless supply of these creatures."

otherwise I reload my gun and take a covered position inside the hovercraft.

"Within these walls we can outlast them" :P
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 20, 2005, 09:43:52 AM
The hooting crying sounds seem to diminish slightly...although it is fairly obvious that there a several more it is difficult to place their positions.

The hovercrafts flimsy roof and insides are splattered with blood from the creatures. (As yet the small hovercraft (its "cab" is very similar to a golf buggy in that it has open sides) appears undamaged..Dr Keene had been asked to see if it was working literally moments before...).

The proximity alarm is still going off. The campfire still burns (though it is sputtering somewhat).

OOC. The hovercraft cannot hold more than two people with any comfort..the scale in the picture is about right..though the figures are a little larger than perhaps they should be  ;)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 20, 2005, 09:53:39 AM
James:

James taps the flimsy side panels of the hovercraft.

"I don't want to bore you with my experience in these matters, doctor but I don't think these are equal to the task."

The bodyguard saunters over to the campfire and carefully picks up a burning brand.

"I vote we get inside the building, if we can.  Before we lose the fire"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Fred on July 26, 2005, 05:00:55 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(Gribble @ Jul 20 2005, 09:53 AM)
James:
"I vote we get inside the building, if we can.  Before we lose the fire"

"I agree," Caio says. "We'll be able to mount a better response there and hold the fort until morning. I'm betting these creatures are nocturnal."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 27, 2005, 07:34:57 AM
James:

<deadpan>

"They probably only come out at night, too."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 28, 2005, 09:53:04 AM
(The following discription has been duplicated from here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=148160&page=23&pp=10) the original Game thread, some of which the new players may wish to check)

The door to the centre module of the three opens easily, it is gloomy inside but you can see a short corridor (perhaps 2-3m long and about a metre wide) leading into a central living area. The floor of the central area, and indeed the corridor leading up to it, is covered with the shredded remains of some textile of some sort. Five small rooms are accessable from this central area, four of which are living quarters(two to the left and two to the right), with the last being a toilet area directly ahead. The central area, apparently contains the kitchen/dining area. Leading from this area are two corridors similar to the one you entered by, these apparently would lead to connecting corridors to the other two modules on either side.

The connecting door to the southern module is closed and apparently coded in the same manner as its outside door. However, the keypad is clear of the greenish algae that seems to coat the whole structure. Directly to the left and right of this are single open doors. Looking through these you can see the remains of furniture, some similar in nature to the sofa, some apparently formed as part of the structure. These obviously served as persoanl living quarters. There are small viewports set high in the walls, these let in a eerie greenish light where the algae has covered them.

The accessway to the northernmost module appears to have been melted and forced open into the central area. They remain partially closed, but there is room enough for someone to squeeze through. Flanking this door are another two doors each leading to some living quarters.

The northern module appears to have been a storage area, with shelves, racking and pallets. To the left, there a large hole, perhaps 2-3m high and about 2m wide is in the outside wall. At the far end of the module (About 10m away) are two doors, which presumably lead to seperate rooms, another door lies to the right (leading outside (this appears to have a functioning coded lock).

(OOC: As yet these areas haven't been extensively searched...nor secured.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 30, 2005, 10:26:48 AM
(OOC. I've assumed that everybody has moved inside the building through the central module.)

Guns still drawn the team members enter the darkened corridor, Suzanne the last to enter shutting the door behind her..the illumination from the guttering campfire is blocked.

You switch on your flashlights (and are assumed to be holding them in your left hands) and can no see a little better as you make your way towards the central living area.

There is a thump and skittering on the roof above you. There is also some faint noises from ahead and to the right.

(Actions please in the OOC thread..verbal response here.. ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 01, 2005, 01:56:29 PM
James:

"We need to make sure this place is secure, ASAP.  Shall we split up or go together?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on August 01, 2005, 02:00:36 PM
Docter Keene: "Euhm, split up you say? I'd rather not! Not that I am afraid, or something like that... but ... I think its unresponsible to split up while some of those grown out monkeys might still be out there..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Fred on August 01, 2005, 05:16:26 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(ttsgosadow @ Aug 1 2005, 02:00 PM)
Docter Keene: "Euhm, split up you say? I'd rather not! Not that I am afraid, or something like that... but ... I think its unresponsible to split up while some of those grown out monkeys might still be out there..."
"We could split in pairs. This way, one could cover the other. For example, me and James, and you and Suzanne", Caio says, looking at Keene.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 02, 2005, 07:37:35 AM
James:

"Either way boss..."

The bodyguard looks meaningfully around.

"We should do it quickly.  Before they find a way inside ...."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 02, 2005, 08:48:38 AM
Suzanne seems reluctant "I think you two are right..." she says indicating Caio and James. "...but perhaps Dr.Keene and I should secure here first before investigating further." She looks at the Dr.Keene for approval.

"The northern modules rear has been breached remember and the southern one as far as we can tell is still secure...I think it best that we make the enterance way secure whilst you two go off and deter the creatures from coming in through the hole...perhaps then they'll go away"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 02, 2005, 10:12:50 AM
James grins reassuringly at Suzanne.  

"Cool, you two hold the fort heer while Ciao and I check out the Northern Module"

OOC:  That link to the original game doesn't work for me, what is the address?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on August 02, 2005, 10:37:35 AM
"Splitting in pairs sounds good enough. I will go with you Suzanne."
Keene tries to stand 'manly'.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 04, 2005, 08:10:38 AM
As both Caio and James move off down the interconnecting section towards the northern module, both can hear rumaging scratching sounds from ahead...and the wierd crying sounds that the creatures had made before they attacked...

Meanwile back in the central module...

Suzanne sits down and tries to bandage her hand, it doesn't look bad but it obviously hurts since she winces as she tries to banadage it.

(OOC. Failed First Aid roll...versus Lvl 1 injury).

The outside door is secure and can be "locked"... but as yet it isn't.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on August 04, 2005, 08:25:31 AM
Dr. Keene: "Suzanne? Are you okay?"
*waits for answer*
"Let me do that, you can't wrap a bandage with only one hand."

"Now you take off that bandage, I will put it back on. But first I will close the outside door, you never know what can come walking in ..."

*pats Suzanna on the back*
"Sit down, here in the corner. Lean, save your strength - it was frightening outside, but you need not to worry. I will go close the door now."

Will close the door then wrap the bandage around her hand, I think I can do better then she did :)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 04, 2005, 10:20:39 AM
Dr. Keenes ministrations are accepted gratefully but his manner is less so.

"Thank you Dr.Keene....no I shall be alright standing thank you..." Suzanne says moving around shifting through the debris with her foot.

"...while the other two are securing the northern module and now that you have secured the entranceway...we should be safe enough. I think a detailed search of this module is in order...after all we were sent to see what happened to the survey mission here.."

Dr.Keene sucessfully bandages the wound on her left hand (which is scratched and now has a mild bruise)...the wound is nothing serious.

(OOC Doing this takes a few minutes..  Although treated the hand is still used at -5...but will fully recover in a day or two..).

Meanwhile.... back at the Northern Module.

Both Caio and James reach the partially opened door at the far end of the corridor and are immediately aware of at least three of the baboon-like creatures on the other side... it appears that they are aware of them too. (The lights probably alerted them) And with a snarl they start making for the gap in the door...

(OOC ALL players INTENDED ACTIONS in the OOC Thread and a number of percentile rolls please ... ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 04, 2005, 10:35:48 AM
James (before GM post):

Grins at Ciao:

"Stay behing me Caio, just shine the light around and keep your gun pointed down and away from me.  I don't want you to shoot  me in the back and you wouldn't like my mood if you did."

Creeps forward carefully, checking out all shadows and obstacles, holding flaslight with arm crossing gunhand so that the light points where the gun does.

James (after GM post - I hope this is okay)

James is still using standard rounds.  He has had no reason to believe that these baboons are enough trouble to need an edge.


"Keep back" He snarls at Ciao.

Takes careful aim and starts putting bullets into each creature as they come through the door.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 09, 2005, 10:24:44 AM
This is the tactical situation... I forgot to number the creatures  :angry: , lets call them #1, #2, #3 (#1 being the closest).

Suzanne and Dr Keene are in the central module to the bottom left (not shown), it will take a minimum of 1 round after Jame's 1st action before either two can respond. (Incidently there is a closeable door into this module (on the southern wall behind the rubbish) this was locked so I didn't bother including it.

The door immedietely in front of James is jammed partially open. The door at the other end of this short corridor is currently open (it was jammed but has since been widened...it could now be closed).
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 13, 2005, 11:38:51 AM
The sudden appearance of the creatures at such close quarters throws Caio slightly off guard, James faster raises his gun and starts to aim, but the lead crature is faster. It hurtles towards the gap in the partially opened doorway, and squeezes through and rakes at James with a claw. The claw catches his foot with an ineffectual blow. James caught slightly off guard abandons his aim to dodge as the creature continues its frenzied attack. James jinks with but a little effort and the creatures jaws clamp only onto air. It strikes again, just as James is about to fire...he dodges again. Caio manages to regain his composure and starts to aim at the doorway. The two creatures remaining in the room also, after a slight delay head towards the gap, the first of the two scrabbles to get through just as James fires a fusilade of shots towards his attacker.

The first shot slams the creature to the side where it slumps to the ground unconsious and its lower abdomen wrecked and twitching...it won't be having puppies anytime soon.

(OOC. Dr.Keene and Suzanne are aware..thus Dr.Keene's actions start from this point. Could I have some more intentions and percentile rolls in the OOC thread please...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 15, 2005, 02:52:49 PM
James:

The bodygurad shouts in surprise at the sudden attack of the creatures

"Freakin' Baboons are faster than I thought!"

He successfully dodges the attacks as they come in but doesn't look nearly so cocky as he did a few minutes ago.  James wavers as if to run back but then steels himself to stand his ground.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 30, 2005, 11:46:07 AM
Of the two remaining creatures the one facing James acts first striking him in the stomach with a wicked racking strike easily compensating for James attempted dodge. James stands firm despite the pain, his armour preventing a truly horrific eviscerating strike. The creatures slavering maw fails to contact, much to James relief.

Caio remains stock still aiming for the creature that as yet has been unable to negotiate the partially closed door.

The creature facing him attacks James again. Its strikes do not contact.
James, still recoiling from the creature’s previous blow, fires three quick shots hitting twice; once in the shoulder and once in the leg. The creature howls in pain as fragments of bone splatter the wall behind it. Miraculously, the stubborn creature does not die and attempts to drag itself away.

The second creature manages to squeeze through the gap to assault James. Its attacks miss as its wounded ally fails to scramble away.

Caio takes a carefully aimed and timed shot that proves effective smashing into the creatures shoulder. It recoils, falls in shock to the floor, shuddering briefly before lying still.

James who had turned to face the new threat (now dead of shock) turns and opens fire instead on the crippled creature, still snarling while it attempting to flee.

His first shot misses by a fraction. The second catches the beast in the throat. It slumps rasping for a few seconds before lying still.

Dr Keene, gun drawn heads down the corridor leaving Suzanne to guard the central section. He arrives just as the creature draws its last rattling breath.

All is quiet.

(OOC: James has suffered quite a bad stomach wound...reducing his mobility somewhat.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on August 30, 2005, 11:49:52 AM
Dr. Keene puts back his gun as he sees that there are no more abominations around. Seeing James lying there, wounded, he runs up to him.
Dr. Keene: "Hey, James. Are you allright? What happend - tell me."
Dr. Keene keeps talking to him while he assesses the wounds and determines the best course of action to get him up and going as soon as possible.

Dr. Keene: "Guys, can you help over here. If we all work together we can carry him back to the room we where in earlier. I think it's safer there. We can make him a bed to lie down and rest."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 30, 2005, 01:20:38 PM
James:

The bodyguard is visibly pale and starting to shake from the shock of his wound.  He is still alert as he points out the dangers.

"Hold on there.  You can patch me up after we have secured this room.  We need to block the hole up or lock this door before more of the freakin' monkies turn up."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 30, 2005, 01:41:19 PM
James is quite stable and capable of walking without assistance, it hurts a lot but does not immobilise him. He could benefit from medical attention however but it is relatively low key stuff to ease pain and such like...just severe bruising and slight hemerroging. Wearing the armour actually helps to reduce the bleeding (what little there is).

Your lights soon pick out various boxes and crates in the room beyond..these could be used to barricade the hole from the inside.

A minute or two passes, there appears to be no activity outside.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 30, 2005, 03:30:33 PM
James:

With only slightly exaggerated winces and slight gasps of pain, James begins to move the boxes to cover theh hole.

(He is still pausing to look and listen for danger while he does this.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 10, 2005, 07:51:50 AM
The group re-assemble in the recently "cleared" storage area, which has numerous stacks of boxes and containers scattered throughout.

Caio and Suzanne, sharing the work between them soon manage to make a fairly effective barricade from the storage racking and some of the heavier containers (most of which seem to be full of geological survey equipment). This blocks the hole in the wall.

Meanwhile, Dr.Keene starts treatment on James. (Dr.Keene is not a medical doctor and only has access to the most basic first aid kit).

(OOC. This reduces the Trauma level by 1, stops any external bleeding and prevents most types of infection. James is still however carrying a -20 penalty on actions until he either rests or more significant aid is received).

As the group pause to consider their next actions, they have a chance to take stock and investigate the area they are in more closely....

(A few percentile rolls from everyone please... :) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 21, 2005, 09:37:17 AM
The hole in the wall is quickly blocked up, there doesn't seem to be any noises from outside from the creatures, whether they have fled are all dead you don't know.

As you listen carefully you can't hear anything, so settle down and relax a bit.

Just then Suzzane hears a noise from the far end of the storeroom...

"Shhhh. Sounds like somethings moving around behind those doors" she says indicating the doors to the north of the room. These are closed and show no signs of forced entry, however they don't appear to have elcetronic keyed locks.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 21, 2005, 10:02:20 AM
Dr Keene listening carefully can hear that the noise is not similar to that made by the creatures but is a broken sobbing...probably human.

(OOC the Creatures DID make a sound similar to a childs cry, but this is different)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: ttsgosadow on September 21, 2005, 10:08:41 AM
Dr. Keene: "Hmm, that doesn't sound like an ape-creature. More human, this sobbing. I think we should check it out."

Dr. Keene prepares his gun and takes a few carefull steps in the right direction, hoping the others will follow him.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 21, 2005, 12:32:50 PM
James:

The injured bodyguard winces as he gets up but back up the doctor's play.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 01, 2005, 02:52:51 PM
As Dr.Keene and James head through the trash which apparently formed the creatures nests..someone treads on something in the darkness.... there is a loud *SNAP*....and all noise ceases from behind the door.

All four party members wince and ready their weapons (some noticeably faster than others...)

As the torch lights stop flashing around, Suzanne calls out.

"IS ANYBODY THERE?"

There is the sound of a sharp intake of breath...from the other side of the right door.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on October 08, 2005, 07:01:06 PM
James keeps half an eye on what happens with the door but is mainly alert for any other threats from elsewhere.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 14, 2005, 08:30:45 AM
A few seconds pass...then a timid and obviously scared female voice can be heard from the other side of the door.

"Hello?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on October 18, 2005, 10:15:20 PM
"Hello?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 19, 2005, 08:09:54 AM
There is a slight hesitancy in the voice that replies...

"Thank god...you're human?" the voice says accompanied with some shuffling movement from behind the door.

"Who are you?...are you a rescue party from Anasi?"

(OOC. You are... ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on October 20, 2005, 08:51:21 PM
(ooc: thanks)

<looks at the rest of the party with a grin>

"We're your regular knights in shining armour!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 23, 2005, 10:29:50 AM
Suzanne shoots James a sideways glance..it is slightly stern as if perhaps this had been the wrong thing to say.

"Yes, we are from Anasi....I am Suzanne Wrightsmith...and you are?"

A moments pause..."Uh..hello Suzanne, I'm Susan...Susan Cracken" says the voice rather nervously...obviously relieved but on the point of tears.

Suzannes previously stern expression softens slightly, she turns and nodds to the rest of you signifying an OK with her free hand.

"are you injured? Can you get out of there? It's quite safe out here we've either killed them all or they have fled.." says Suzanne approaching the door and speaking softly.

Dr Keene and Caio remain on guard. Neither can see or hear anything outside.

There is the sound of a door unlocking and the door opens outward slightly before becoming stuck against some overturned boxes and crates.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 29, 2005, 09:12:54 AM
Suzzanne looks over at Dr Keene.. "Would you mind helping clearing some of the debris from in frount of the door...so she can get out?".

She then turns to the door..."It's okay, wait a second.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 15, 2005, 02:19:48 PM
Dr Keene moves forward and clears a couple of crates aways from the door, meanwhile Suzanne stands pistol drawn waiting....

"Ok, its clear now..." says Dr Keene, who backs off carefully away.

The door slowly opens and a deshrevelled feamle emerges, blinking, into the glare from the torches that are pointed her way..she sheilds her eyes, it is clear that she has been trapped for some while, her clothes and hair are dirty, her face is too but sowing tear tracks through the grime... she isn't armed so Suzanne relaxes slightly.

The woman, who called herself Susan Cracken, is in her late twenties, perhaps early thirties.

"Thank god...I...I...didn't think anybody was coming...not since the attack.." she stopps and looks around a bit more now her eyes begin to adjust to the lights.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on November 18, 2005, 11:59:28 PM
The bodyguard squares his shoulders and smiles reassuringly at the new arrival.

"Howdy, Miss.  Once you get your breath back, how about filling us in on whats been going on.  Firstly, is there anything we need to worry about apart from there monkeys"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 19, 2005, 05:26:52 PM
"Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened...it was about a week ago, we'd set the place up and...hey, have you got any I.D ?" she says realising that she was blurting out to a complete stranger. "I know you said you were from Anasi..can you prove it?"

She starts to look a bit more weary and backs away a little.

Suzzanne produces her I.D. and tosses it to the woman.

"That should be enough for me to prove that I am from Anasi...Dr Keene here.." she says indicating Dr.Keene, who looks up after checking some of the storage boxes and waves. "....is also an employee but James is only on contract while Caio over there is a GEO Observer".

Caio looks away from staring out from the gap to indicate that he had heard.

"Your boss, and mine.. is Paull Hendricks, we were sent to check up on you after we stopped getting any progress reports".

Suzanne closes her eyes for a moment.. "Ah, yes Susan Cracken...a communications technician..yes?" she waits for an answer.

The woman nods her head.

"Well..there were meant to be six of you..where are the rest?" says Suzanne.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 25, 2005, 10:19:38 AM
The young woman sits down on one of the crates.

"Well. We got here after being dropped off, unloaded the equipment and set the shell-formers* running. Harry and Bill got everything set up, took us about three days in all from arrival before starting work. During this time everything was going to plan, Percy, our Team leader and Barbara his assitant immediately starting collecting core samples out in the field, whist Tom and I set up the jammer and initialised the analysis equipment..." she says in a measured tone.

"As I said everything was going to plan, we hadn't been detected, so far as we knew and were maintaining a low profile..no transmissions of any kind..just as we were told..." her voice begins to crack..

"Then two days later..." and she bursts into tears.


(OOC. *shellformers are pre-programmed auto-assembly buildings..what the whole place appears to be made of...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on November 28, 2005, 10:31:25 PM
"C'mon lady.  Tears aren't going to keep us alive."

James growls harshly, wincing as the effort pulls at his stomach muscles.

"Get the story over with and we can all put our minds to keeping out of further trouble".
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 30, 2005, 10:11:12 AM
Suzzanne shoots James an angry look.. she turns to Dr. Keene.

"Dr.Keene, could you see, again, to Mr Carpenters wounds"..she says will little emotion.."...they appear to be making him a bit...cranky" she says, turning to face James with a brief flash of a smile.  She then turns back towards Susan, who somewhat shocked by Jame's outburst has, indeed, stopped crying.

*sob* "..Well, it was early evening... I was going to prepare the evening meal and was about to fetch what I needed from the stores.." she stops to indicate the door which she had just come through. Opened boxes and crates can be seen scattered around within the area.

"Percy, Harry and Bill were out doing a survey and had said they would be back in 15 minutes, and to tell me to get the chow on..." she says, still upset but with a slight smile.

"Barbera was doing some research in the lab, Tom was servicing one of the hovercraft outside. It was then I heard a noise, like a hot knife being quenched in water and the smoke alarm went off in the lab. I went to see what was wrong, but forgot that I didn't have access so I went to warn Tom instead but as I was about to leave I heard some energy discharges which I thought were from the lab. Then I heard Toms voice, then the hovercarfts engines,, then more firing then silence. I got outside, couldn't see Tom, but then heard some more firing...I went back inside and hid in there" again points to the cupboard.

"It was quiet for a while then the cutting sound happened again, though this time much closer...I guess who or whatever it was came through there..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 05, 2005, 08:39:05 PM
James maitains a poker face and keeps watching and listening to the rest of the monologue.  He grunts slightly as Dr Keene paws at the bandages and whispers:

"Hey, do you believe this.  Sounds like we signed up for a little more than we bargained for."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 06, 2005, 09:43:10 AM
Dr Keene finishes readjusting the bandages and dressings as the young woman relates her tale. He looks up and whispers back..

"She seems fairly genuine..but yes.. the situation does seem a bit odd..we don't know an awful lot about why they were here..." he shrugs.

Suzanne speaks.. "Well, Susan..you have confirmed that everybody I know about was here..have you heard anything since this attack?"

"I had been hiding out a few minutes though it felt like hours...I thought I heard some movement outside..voices I didn't recognise them so I kept quiet. I don't think they came in here though....I listened for ages and couldn't hear anything. Later that night, I think that they...." she stops to point at the dead creatures "..must have arrived, since I must of drifted off to sleep only to wake up with a lot of scratching and snarling from in here..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 08, 2005, 10:39:36 PM
The bodyguard buts in with a pertinent question.

"Lady, these voices - what language were they using and did they sound human or local?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 09, 2005, 10:29:27 AM
"Well, I think they may have been natives...but...but..I can't be sure.." he says without much conviction in her voice. "Whoever they were, I'm fairly certain they didn't come in here.."

Suzzane interupts.  "They? How many do you think?"

Susan replies.. "Oh..two three perhaps...not many...I don't know but they seemed annoyed at something...but I couldn't make enough to tell at what."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 12, 2005, 11:22:16 PM
James:

"Hmm,  okay boss..."

He looks over to Susan.

"Anything here making any sense?"

He raises a skeptical eyebrow.

"Anything here relevant to any information you hadn't got around to sharing yet?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 17, 2005, 11:00:52 AM
Suzanne looks back...pauses a moment in reflection.

"No...not really. Susan here was part of a survey team. I believe we.." she indicates Dr.Keene and herself "...being corperate employees were chosen to find out what happened here and why the survey team hadn't checked in at the approriate time."

She looks around at the chaotic storeroom. "I guess we now know why...but not what caused this.." she turns back to Susan.

"Can you tell us anything else.. of relevence"

Susan pauses before answering... Caio is still guarding the makeshift barrier at the wall breach but is also making no effort to conceal the fact that, he too, is listening.

"Well, as I said, we set up here as planned...and got the equipment running to hide our presence here..." she pauses for a moment "But we did see a corperate jumpship fly over about 2 days after we set up here...I'm not sure but I'm fairly confiedent it hadn't detected us."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 17, 2005, 11:08:20 PM
ooc:  what surveillance and counter surveillance measures are available to James/the team.

bic:  James states the obvious.

"Well, we're here now and we need to rest.  I am sure that whatever happened before will happen again, so what shall we do to prepare for it?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 18, 2005, 02:49:41 PM
Caio turns away from his vigil at the barracade.

"Well, we know the lab is at the far end...but we haven't been able to gain access..or tried yet..might be a good time to explore it now or rest, it's very quiet out there..but we can't be sure there arn't more of them" says Caio.


"Yes, James should get a bit of rest...shouldn't take much more that a few hours, don't know how long its going to stay dark for, but we still don't know where the rest of the team are or what condition they are in. Perhaps we should move back into the living areas, rest up then investigate more when its light." says Dr Keene.

Suzanne looks between the two of them, then comes to a decision.

"It certainly looks like the bases location has been compromised.." she looks around at the mess then turns to Susan "..you say you heard these voice just after the attack...a few days ago?".

Susan nodds.

"Probably safe to assume that who or whatever attacked thought they had finished the job...then the babboons moved in..." Suzane says turning to Caio.

"Okay you and Dr Keene, grab some of the supplies from in there." she says pointing towards the store cupboards "James, stay here and cover the outside till they have finished. We'll move backinto the central section..give this area the once over with your Counter-surveillance scanner, then do the same in the central area ...just in case." She then helps Susan towards the passage. "When you've finished...get some rest and I'll take watch."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 08, 2006, 10:41:59 AM
Moving things along...


The storeroom contains food and general supplies, enough for at least a month. Dr.Keene scavenges enough to make a meal plus replenishes what medical supplies he can from the first aid kits also stored there.

A detailed scan of the area reveals no unusual devices or bugs either in the storage area or the main living area, apart from smoke detectors and habitat control monitors. There is some background interferance from the jamming field which encompasses the entire base and its immediate surroundings.  When you mention this to Suzanne she says.. "Okay, we'll turn it off when it gets light and you can do another scan then...I'll get in contact with Bruce then at the same time, he must be getting lonely out there by himself....go have something to eat and get some rest."

Caio continues blocking up the breach in the storeroom door, when it's secure he then helps clear the living area so that it is somewhat habitable.

Dr Keene asks Susan for some help in preparing some food... the party has some survival rations but the base's kitchen is found to be at least functional so supplies from the stores are used instead. Caio offers up the remaining crabmeat as well, before he check the main door once more to see if it's secure. Suzanne sets up some of the torches for light then calls everone over for food.

The meal isn't bad, the Dr and Susan manage to produce a reasonable one. Susan appears a lot more relaxed, though her face is still dirty and tear stained.

At the end Suzzanne speaks...

"This place seems fairly secure now, those things whatever they were appear to have gone. We are all very tired so what we'll do is get some rest. Me and Susan, we'll do the first watch...Caio you and the Doctor do the second...James rest up. We'll tackle the lab in the morning after we check in with Bruce...then perhaps we'll find out a bit more..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 15, 2006, 02:41:12 PM
Now the group have eaten and the central living areas have been tidied up, Dr Keene rebandages James' wound.

Caio then checks out the door to the outside.. "The main doors secure" he says motioning to the main entrance.."that way seemed the only real threat" he said indicating the way to the stores "we can get some rest now."

"Yes, Caio, thank you" said Suzzanne, who you had noticed had been over to check both after Caio had done it. "...we'll tackle the coded doors to the lab later..unless Susan knows them"...Suzannes face seemed to indicate that she though this unlikely.  Susan confirms this with a sorrowful shake of the head..."No, I don't..didnt have access to the labs."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on January 28, 2006, 11:44:28 PM
James amkes the best use of his time to eat andd recover.  This doesn't stop hom from checking his weapon and loading up with some special ammo just incase something kick offs again.  He makes sure his gun and  a torch are under his makehift pillow...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 07, 2006, 10:14:15 AM
The group rest for a few hours, when James awakes he feels quite a bit better...the coagualants, painkillers and skin sealants are working well reducing the discomfort in his stomach...it just feels a bit stiff and bruised now.

"Ah you're awake now...feeling better?" says Dr Keene who himself only just appears to have woken.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 19, 2006, 04:50:20 PM
Caio having done the best part of the night on watch comes in from the corridor leading from the stores.

"Still quiet out there..not a peep all night..guess we either got them all or they are laying low...Hey, Suzzanne isn't it about time we got in contact with Bruce? Hes been back at the jumpship all night, wouldn't want him to get worried would we?"

Suzzanne, who had been checking out the data spike, looks up..."Yes...but I'd rather not risk it yet..the jamming field is still up...and we can't get a message to him till we take it down, which I'm loathe to do.." she looks concerned. "Susan said that a jumpship over flew here about a week ago...and it wouldn't have been one of ours...we take the field down and we risk detection...even more so if we broadcast our position."
she shrugs and returns to studying the data spike.

"Um..I could pilot the recon drone back to him, if I walked outside the field, that wouldn't be so obvious.." said Dr Keene. "Though I still wouldn't want to go out there alone.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 19, 2006, 08:34:01 PM
"After that sleep and those drugs I'm ready to take on a dozen monkeys with my bare hands."

He winks at the new girl.

"Come on Dr. Keene, lets see what awaits us outside."

(making sure his weapons are clean and loaded (flechettes)-see the monkeys laugh that off, his armour is charged and functioning and his camoflage clothing is functioning)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 25, 2006, 02:04:07 PM
"Okay, that seems ok to me.." says Suzzanne. "...perhaps Caio, Susan and I can get to work finding out what happened here..and where the rest are?"

Dr Keene gathers his equipment and waits by the door, apparently reluctant to leave the safety of the building first, as James passes him. Suzzanne heads over to talk quietly with Susan.

Caio lets the doctor and James pass him in the narrow entrance passageway.

James opens the door and the early morning light can be seen streaming through the jungle canopy illuminating the clearing, which appears no different to the previous day. All the bodies of the creatures remain where they died.

There is a low intensity hum from the "stealth" generator in the centre of the clearing. Dr Keene heads cautiously over the clearing past the generator, then stops.. "Ah...better turn off the proximity alarm before we leave the area.." he says with a wink and a smile. A moment tinkering, and they contiune over towards the place they had entered the clearing the previous day.

Passing through the extremities of the "field" proves uneventful and a brief look at Jame's scanner confirms that it is still active..

Dr Keene crouches on the ground and opens his small equipment briefcase. Inside can be seen the disk shaped hover remote and a small collection of recon remotes. He concentrates for a second then the viewscreen inside the briefcase flickers on. A view of the clearing appears, James face appears on the sceen.

"Hi" says Dr Keenes voice through the remotes speakers "...good it still works..I'll send it back down the stream with a voice recording..safer than a broadcast.." He concentrates for a few moments more, then the remote heads off towards the last location of the jumpship.

The screen shows the passage of the remote down the stream. It is an uneventful trip taking about 20 minutes..

Eventually, the remote breaks from the jungle and out on to the coastal delta. The jumpship is still there and as the remote approches closer Bruces feet can be clearly seen propped up in the cockpit of the small craft.
It approaches closer and Bruce can be seen napping with his hat over his face. Even through the plexi-glass of the cockpit the remotes audio pickups detect a rumbling snoring sound...

Dr Keene carefully tapps the leading edge of the remote against the windscreen.

Bruce wakes up, eventually and raises his hat from his face with one hand whilst reaching down, out of sight with the other. He looks puzzled and then brings a shotgun into view..

Dr Keene starts the audio playback...which breifly documents what has been discovered and the condition of the team. Bruce gives a thumbs up then relaxes...gives a smile then reclines back in his seat once more, it isn't long before snoring can be heard once more...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 01, 2006, 04:27:19 PM
As concerned as he is for the safety of their jump ship pilot, James keeps his focus on watching out for immediate danger whilst out in the open.  

He uses his camoflage to conceal himself near to Dr. Keene and maitains a vigilance with the scanner as well as all his augmented and natural senses.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 01, 2006, 05:03:26 PM
"Well, at least he knows we are ok...and we know he is still there..." says the doctor, turning to James.

"Best be getting back inside now see what Suzanne wants us to do now...." he stops mid-flow.."Oh! There you are..." he says rubing his eyes..

He waits for the remote to return...and the time passes, it returns. Packing up the remote he turns once again to James.."So what do you reckon went on here...?" he says with a frown "...now we know it wasn't the apes.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 01, 2006, 05:15:38 PM
James sneers.

"They wouldn't have hired me to kill monkeys.  Some freaking turf war with either those indigious critters or another guild i reckon."

He spits in the direction of the lab.

"I bet those two broads know a lot more than they are letting on."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 01, 2006, 05:44:21 PM
Dr. Keene looks a bit unsure before answering...

"Suzanne certainly suspects something...Susan I'm not so sure..she just looks scared" he says walking back over to the stealth field generator past a dead babbon-like ape. Dr.Keene shudders.. "And I don't blame her".

"My guess, is that it was another corporation. Probably didn't like Anasi snooping around on their turf." he says then kneling down and re-setting the alarm.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 02, 2006, 09:52:10 AM
"broads always know more than they let on.  Me, I'm trusting no-one who can't pee standing up."

He looks the chubby fellow up and down.

"You can pee standing up, right?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 02, 2006, 01:18:52 PM
He looks round and up at James...(he isn't that chubby...)

"Yes...I can urinate standing up...if that is what you mean?" he looks at James stangely.

"Personally, I find Suzanne very professional..she is just doing her job."  he says continuing the adjustments to the generator. "In fact I'm a little surprised she's along on this mission..I thought she was more the internal investigations sort of thing..not really suited for the wilderness." He pounders for a few seconds as he finishes off the alarm.

He stands up and faces James. "Frankly. I'm not sure why I'm here either, my speciality is structral dynamics.. underwater stuff normally...don't get out that much...leastwise on dry land."

"Come on, lets get back inside..." he says looking around nervously.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 05, 2006, 09:21:02 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(Grinnen Baeritt @ Mar 2 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback
29216[/snapback]]

"Personally, I find Suzanne very professional..she is just doing her job."  he says continuing the adjustments to the generator. "In fact I'm a little surprised she's along on this mission..I thought she was more the internal investigations sort of thing..not really suited for the wilderness." He pounders for a few seconds as he finishes off the alarm.

He stands up and faces James. "Frankly. I'm not sure why I'm here either, my speciality is structral dynamics.. underwater stuff normally...don't get out that much...leastwise on dry land."


James smiles, changing tack in his attempt to pump the chubby (ooc: its all relative) scientist for information.  

"I can tell that you are a capable guy.  Why aren't you in charge of working this out?"

He hunches down and looks worriedly back over his shoulder.

"Don't those internal investigators worry you?  I mean, they're always up to something different to what they say."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 06, 2006, 07:33:37 PM
Dr Keene looks quite serious... "Well... I might have been in charge had Anasi believed this to be a scientific misson...as it isn't I expect Anasi thought that an employee from an investigative branch would be better suited..and no they don't worry me that much... I haven't done anything wrong... why have you ?" he says with a slight smile..." he says hurrying back towards the entrance...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 15, 2006, 03:26:34 PM
The bodyguard conceals his disgust at the way in which all these Anasi clones talk with the same voice.

"Maybe Caio will be prepared to think outside the box!"

He mutters to himself as he carefully stalks back to the structure.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 15, 2006, 07:55:01 PM
Caio waits by the doorway ready to readmit Dr.Keene and James back into the building when they return from the other side of the clearing....

Inside, Suzanne can be found talking to Susan.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 17, 2006, 02:35:44 PM
"Hi guys, any more ideas on what's going on here?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 17, 2006, 04:04:51 PM
Suzanne looks up from her conversation. Susan seems to brighten up slightly when Suzanne attention is drawn away from her.

"No. We were waiting for Dr.Keene's report.." she says rather abruptly. "Have you managed to get in contact with the Jumpcraft?"

Dr.Keene a little perturbed by the conversation outside initially stammers an answer.

"Y.y.yes. Mr Denby is still there, asleep...but still there." he gives a nervous smile. "The remotes worked well outside the field and I've reset it now we've finished."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on March 17, 2006, 08:10:15 PM
"Why don't we just get everyone together and plan this out. Too many people arebeing vague" Ciao says suddenly. "I thinkwe'll want to extend an invitation that they cannot refuse. Something here stinks. Wouldn't you agree Dr Keene."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 18, 2006, 01:15:17 AM
"Vague" says Dr Keene "Me?..what do you mean?"

"Yes...What do you mean?" says Suzanne. "We are here to find out why our survey team didn't report in...it appears..now...that from the evidence that Susan here has provided, that the base was attacked..." She looks sternly at both Caio and James.

"Exactly who by...and why, we have yet to find out...as to the location of the rest of the survey team..now..that is another mystery.." she says turning back to Susan who then proceeds to break down in to tears again.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on March 18, 2006, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: QUOTE(Grinnen Baeritt @ Mar 18 2006, 01:15 AM) [snapback
30201[/snapback]]
"Vague" says Dr Keene "Me?..what do you mean?"

"Yes...What do you mean?" says Suzanne. "We are here to find out why our survey team didn't report in...it appears..now...that from the evidence that Susan here has provided, that the base was attacked..." She looks sternly at both Caio and James.

"Exactly who by...and why, we have yet to find out...as to the location of the rest of the survey team..now..that is another mystery.." she says turning back to Susan who then proceeds to break down in to tears again.

"Turn off the waterworks sweatheart" says Caio "The attack here as you said doesn't explain where the survey team is, so its a simple matter ok knowing where they inteded to go, how they were getting there and then following them."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 18, 2006, 10:50:10 AM
Susan, still sobbing, tries to choke back the tears...

"Go? Go Where...who? Do you mean the... the survey team?" she looks a bit confused.

"I thought they were all dead..probably killed by the who.. or whatever attacked here..did,didn't you find any bodies?".

Suzanne interrupts her..

"The sites that were being surveyed would be kept on record..in there" she says pointing to the section that, as yet, is unexplored.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 18, 2006, 11:14:02 AM
"Enough talk then."

Says James, asserting himself.

"Lets check out the rest of this place and get some answers.  The girl can come with us."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on March 18, 2006, 11:30:46 AM
"You too Dr Keene" says Caio "lets get moving. Tell us whats in that section?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 18, 2006, 02:15:49 PM
Susan gets to her feet.. obviously a little disturbed by the recent questioning.

Suzanne draws her sidearm... and Dr Keene begins to move towards the doors, then stops.

"They are probably coded. The door panels are still active.. so unless She knows the code we are probably going to have to blow the doors at the far end of the corridor section..." he looks towards Susan who shakes her head..

"I only had the access codes to the corridor section...when I needed to get access to that area I needed to accompany Percy, Barbara or Harry, they were the only ones with passcodes for that area." says Susan.

"Mr Carpenter, James.." says Suzzanne with a smile,  "...since we don't have the codes, I believe it is time for you to use your special talents..." she purses her lips "...those, less than legal ones, eluded to in your resume'...." she smiles again.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 19, 2006, 08:44:25 PM
James smiles.  He saunters up to the lock, covering his actions with his body.  After a few moments he stands back, grins to his audience) and tries the door, pulling his handgun.

(hopefully it opens)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on March 20, 2006, 06:34:02 AM
Ciao like wise draws his weapon. He speaks to the others "Find something to arm yourselves with. If there are any more of those creatures then be ready to fight them off."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 20, 2006, 04:57:57 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(Gribble @ Mar 19 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback
30375[/snapback]]
(hopefully it opens)

OOC: the dice say "yes".  <_<

James manages to break the coding for the control panel and the door lock clicks open, the security overridden.

Suzzanne having turned a "blind eye" as to how it was done simply smiles "Lead On...don't expect an aplause or anything"

Dr Keene draws his own weapon, but as normal appears rather insecure about its use. Susan just stays close to Suzanne.

As Caio makes his way over, James tries the door....which opens easilly.

Through the door is another connencting tunnel-like corridor. This leads to another security door similar to the one James had just opened.

James feels confiedent that he has discovered the EXACT code required to open the doors.

(OOC: the dice say yes... 01 for the original roll)

There is nothing of note in the corridor..the outside of the transparent panels in the ceiling have become clogged with the same green algae that coats the majority of the rest of the structure, giving a greenish tinge to the area.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 22, 2006, 10:10:39 AM
Just adding a map of the central section.

Please note my scaling is slightly off the two bedrooms adjacent to the W.C / Shower should be smaller (and are single rooms, whereas the other two are twin rooms (Bunk Beds).

(Alas I've yet to get the Symbol Set with the modern furniture...so I've left it blank  :( , until I do)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 22, 2006, 10:13:50 AM
James moves down the coridoor and opens the next set of doors.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on March 23, 2006, 08:15:26 PM
"careful" says Ciao. "We don't want to move to far ahead without checking everything first around us." Cia will make sure the others are 'keeping up' with pace...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 23, 2006, 08:50:53 PM
"That's right James...don't go rushing off ahead..." says Suzanne from a few metres behind.

Dr Keene and Susan are following up also...

James opens the next set of doors easily (using the same technique as the previous set...).

The area inside is very dark, quiet and there is no movement.

It does smell a bit though....

(I'll post the room description..with a map tommorrow.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 23, 2006, 09:32:14 PM
"Sheesh!"

Murmurs James, rolling his eyes.

"Yes Dad, yes Mom."

Nevertheless he pulls out his flashlight and examines the room from outside with his gun ready.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on March 25, 2006, 09:33:59 AM
"What do you see in there?" shouts ciao
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 25, 2006, 08:37:47 PM
[attachmentid=284]

Passing the torches from left to right you see a secure storage area (which has several security lights on it similar to the door code..but look more complex) in the northern part of the back wall. In front of this is some sort of machine. The torchlights pick up evidence of soil and dust on the exposed surfaces.

Midway across the room are two desks...or work stations.

However, your attention is immediately drawn to the bloodstained wall to the rear of the area.. you trace the bloor smears down the wall (they start at about chest height...) and your lights illuminate a crumpled body wearing what must have been some sort of lightweight tan fatigues. Except now they are blackened with dark congealed blood...and so is the floor around it.

On the rear wall to the corpses right are a pair of machines, both humm slightly although a red warning light can be seen from an intrument panel on top of it.

Two larger pieces of equipment are set on the left hand wall.

"Well...tell us, what do you see?" says Suzanne.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 27, 2006, 04:08:35 PM
"Well it aint pretty!"

Drawls James.

"Caio, you can cover me from the door while I start looking at things more closely."

James moves in to the room starting by dropping to a crouch and moving round to his right checking all the shadowy areas underneath, above and behind the workstation and machinery for ambush as he quarters the room.  He leaves the other set of doors for now.  Once he is satisfied that nothing is going to jump out he asks the others to come in and see if they can turn on the lights (deliberately not warning anyone about the body).

"Safe enough for now!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 29, 2006, 09:28:33 AM
OOC: Caio can quite clearly see the body, however the other three cannot.

Suzanne speaks quite sternly.

"Safe is it, James?" see says with a measured tone stopping and blocking Susans movement with a hand.

"Why don't I believe you?" If you were looking you would see a thin smile...

"Wait here a moment, Susan...somethings not quite right about this situation...Dr Keene could you do me a favor? Could you see if there is a log of attempts to access this area...perhaps on those terminals?" she move in a few steps and sees the corpse and turns to face Susan.

"Susan. Could you tell me again who had access to this area?"

Meanwhile, a brief look around reveals no obvious danger...a closer look at the terminals reveals that although there still is power only one of the two is on...it's screen has a screensaver on which shows a scene of a group of islands. James does not recognise them.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 29, 2006, 01:19:24 PM
James' face is of pure innocence when Suzanne catches his eye.

"I'll, err, just check this store cupboard then?"

He cracks his knuckles and prepares for what appears to be a much more challenging lock.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 02, 2006, 08:00:00 PM
When James gets a bit closer to the "store" he notices that the door to the area has a hazardous material sticker of it. It's coding mechanism is somewhat familiar...in that it has the same key-pad...though this isn't just a numeric keypad...it has a slot beneath it (about the size of a credit card). The lights on the keypad are active.

"James....what you're looking for.." says Suzanne, who has entered the room and is motioning towards the corpse, "I believe SHE..may have." She doesn't seemed shocked, unsure and a bit nervous perhaps.

The same cannot be said for Susan who screams and runs into the hands of Dr.Keene...who hadn't seen it either...and was heading towardsthe computers... he sees the corpse an reacts with a start.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 03, 2006, 09:55:09 AM
"Now you know what happens if you don't start getting a bit smarter about our safety.  Time to really think deep about what might be going on here, lady"

James snarls to the already distraught Susan, as he changes his plans to go and rifle through the pockets os the corpse.

ooc:  he sheathes his gun but remains wary of any sudden action by anything as yet unseen.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2006, 01:15:18 PM
The corpse turns out to be a middle aged female...searching through her pockets you find nothing. However, you sit back a bit and you notice the wound which killed her. It is a fist sized wound in her chest, the wound doesn't however appear to have bleed much...considering the size of the wound. Checking closer it appears to have been caused by a laser ...a fairly crude one, judging by the hole.

As you are about to get up you see that their is a chain round her neck..it has broken (or been cut by the attack).. you check a bit more and you find the card attached to the remanents of a chain down the womans front... It doesn't appear damaged.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 03, 2006, 03:10:09 PM
James unabashedly retrieves the card from inside the woman's clothing.  He leaves the corpse as it is and saunters over to the door quickdrawing and spinning his large handgun (special ammo).

He opens the door, being much more careful now, so that he is off to one side and can use the wall as cover if needs be.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2006, 04:22:00 PM
James at first attempts to open the door using his normal (unconvential means) and fails... then remembers to insert the card in the slot...and tries again, using the method he succeeded with last time on the entry door

The Message displayed on the panel is :

INCORRECT USE OF SECURITY PROTOCOL

PLEASE RE-ENTER PASSCODE
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 03, 2006, 07:15:53 PM
"Anyone know the passcode?"

Asks a slightly redder faced and slightly less cocky bodyguard.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2006, 09:36:52 PM
Suzzanne looks at James..."No...but it is a hazardous materials store...my guess it won't open without a different passcode to the one you found earlier..".

Dr Keene gingerly avoids the corpse and sits at one of the computer screens..

"Whoever did this.." he says nodding towards the corpse "interuppted her while she was working..the screen is still active.." he touches the screen...and the display comes back to life..

Dr.Keene looks a bit puzzled.. "OK...the screens passworded too...probably just a routine one.."

Susan is standing, apparently in shock... then snaps out of it. "Goldilocks...try Goldilocks" she says.

"Oh well..." says Dr Keene.. he taps the keyboard.  

"Well, well it worked....." he says with a look of surprise.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 03, 2006, 10:01:39 PM
"Nothing's ever easy!"

Hisses the bodyguard.  He spins and sheathes his large weapon.  

He then tries to 'open' the door.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2006, 10:25:52 PM
"NO! Wait!" shouts Dr.Keene..as James prepares to try again..

He taps the keyboard a few more times..

"I don't think it will has much of value it..." he says scanning the screen "and if its a normal security door...our standard one..you won't want to get it wrong again..." he says with some concern.

"That's right Mr.Carpenter...if it is coded by Anasi...chances are it is either booby trapped or set to destroy whatever is inside...standard procedure.." says Suzzane with a smile. "Thank you..Dr Keene..now...what does the records tell us about THAT store and what has happened here?" she looks concerned. Then turns to talk to Susan who is still standing shocked at the whole affair.

Dr. Keene starts to study the screen once more...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 07, 2006, 08:34:37 AM
Dr Keene spends a little time typing, then sits back in his chair apparently satisfied...until he remembers the corpse behind him, at which point he sits bolt upright.

"Ah..yes" he says trying to retain his composure "I'm in.."

"And?" says Suzzanne...obviously getting slightly impatient.

"The lab door..that one" he says indicating the door by which you had entered the lab "..was last entered by Barbara Williams 21.20..on the day that Susan said the attack occured...prior to that Barbara Williams again at 19.00...before that Dr.Rogers left at 08.00 the same day" he pauses...

"The Hazardous materials store, is, apparently empty..." he says disappointedly
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 09, 2006, 09:47:05 PM
"Yeah?"

Snarls James.

"I wanna see for myself."

He prepares to give the lock one more go.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 10, 2006, 04:57:21 PM
Suzanne uses a slightly sterner voice (it's the same just a little louder).

"BEFORE Mr Carpenter attempts to blow us all, and what ever MIGHT be in there up...may I SUGGEST that Dr Keene be given a chance to search the records more throughly..perhaps checking when the store was last accessed...and then IF you still want to try...at least give the rest of us a chance to clear the area?" she says with a pained smile to James.

"You see, it is a common policy, when using external facilities...such as these to cause Accidental destruction in a fairly wide area...you know...to ensure any dangerous gases or materials are eliminated."

Dr Keene hurriedly checks the logs.... "No there hasn't been any access to the store since..." he checks the screen "...well, since the site was assembled..several weeks ago."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on April 16, 2006, 07:00:20 PM
"Are those records accurate?" asks Ciao, "Could anyone have got into there and it not have been recorded?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 16, 2006, 07:19:38 PM
James:

"Keene's making it up.  I'm going in ... start running..."

James kicks over the computer table (giving anyone half a chance to salvage the computer if they are quick) and drags it over by the door.  

He sets himself up do the final stage of his 'opening' of the door will take place with as much of himself behind the table as possible.  He will duck into a ball at the first signs of trouble to allow the table to fly over him taking the brunt of any blast.

He uses the hand that he can afford to lose the most to tap in the last digit.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on April 16, 2006, 09:17:04 PM
"Oh hell" mutters Ciao, ducking for cover "Move it" he shouts at everyone else.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 17, 2006, 07:47:04 AM
OOC: It's at times like this as a FTF GM I often ask...

"ARE YOU REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?"


 :unsure:
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 17, 2006, 05:48:19 PM
....yep!

Call it paranoia but I reckon you're bluffing.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 17, 2006, 06:22:09 PM
I might be bluffing... ;)

bic:

...but when James looks round the Doctor, Suzanne, Susan are not there.. and Caio is out of sight...

OOC: Please roll a percentile dice..in the dice roller. You never know, you might be lucky.  :rolleyes: , you have good equipment which adds 20 to your chance...but the difficulty check is at -5 levels i.e. - 50...your skill is 40 -5 Intellect +20 equipment = 55%

(You have a 5% chance of getting the door open with a 1% of achieving absolute success (which is what is required to open it without setting the alarm off...triggering ? on the other hand if you fail REALLY badly you just fail to make any progress at all...which is likely to be a good thing)

Incidently the other door was a -20 door security system...and you rolled 01.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 17, 2006, 06:35:19 PM
78

did I want low?

:blink:
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 17, 2006, 06:44:51 PM
OOC: Congratulations...you have just achieved Total Failure.


Snap...fizzzz. James's electronic counter-insurgency toolkit has suffered a feedback loop, this totally fries the delicate circuitry within it. It flares suddenly... James yelps as sparks course through his hand...it drops to the ground...sparks for a few moments...then dies.

James looks embarrassed. The door (that if it could would be sneering in James direction) appears untroubled by his efforts...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 17, 2006, 06:55:58 PM
ooc:  I take it that I was lucky?

bic:  

James quickdraws his gun and takes aim at the lock.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 17, 2006, 07:02:57 PM
OOC: Did I forget to tell you that Anasi Systems were the only Corporation to have ever used a nucular weapon?....I did?....Oh that's a shame. Now, what were you going to do...?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 17, 2006, 07:09:36 PM
"Grr!"

He holsters his sidearm and waits for the others to return.

(at least they didn't see)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 17, 2006, 07:13:40 PM
OOC: Chicken.... :P
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on April 18, 2006, 08:25:40 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(Grinnen Baeritt @ Apr 17 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback
32049[/snapback]]
OOC: Congratulations...you have just achieved Total Failure
The door (that if it could would be sneering in James direction) appears untroubled by his efforts...

Funniest thing I have read this year!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ciao shouts from further away "What you doing? Whats taking so long?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 19, 2006, 06:59:14 PM
Suzzane walks back into the room...she isn't wearing a happy face.

"Well...have you broken it yet?" she looks at the broker esponage kit and smiles.

"I believe that Dr Keene did warn you...the security protocols are quite tough..." she says shaking her head "I'm sure if you don't blow us all up before we get out of here, then I'm sure Anasi will compensate you.."

Dr Keene heads back to the consoles. But is dismayed to discover that the screen has been broken.. sighing he gets out his palm top, plugs in a neural interface.

"This WILL be more difficult now Mr Carpenter... if you wouldn't mind not breaking anything else...?" he says obviously irratated.

He closes his eyes and concentrates...

as he does so Suzzanne walks over.

"Caio...James?" she says getting your attention but in a low voice....Susan is standing by the door looking nervously towards the smoldering esponiage kit.

"Look..its fairly obvious to me at least that there has been an attack here, as yet I'm not sure by who or whay..but... whoever it was, to get in here...either knew the codes...or was better than you at decryption" she says with her gaze coming to rest on James.

"I still need to know where the rest of the team are...we have found two. Her..." she says pointing to the corpse... "and her" she says indicating Susan. "That leaves four."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 19, 2006, 07:12:27 PM
James winces as he too watches his favoured toy smoulder away.

"Ho hum.  You're up Doc."

ooc:  is it possible to download a hacker programme and maybe a detailed thermo-imaged map from a satellite?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 19, 2006, 07:26:35 PM
(OOC: Yes..normally. The programs cost money and are STRICTLY illegal, the satillite communication system is very heavily monitored...but normally it might be possible. However, you are currently within a sensor damping field...this will automatically block outgoing or incoming satelite uplinks..which is why originally the place wasn't visable on a sateilite scan...also sateilite coverage is sporadic this far north of the main habitated islands..)

(OOC2. You/Susanne probably has the original satelitte scan...for reference but not a current one.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 26, 2006, 08:38:49 AM
Dr Keene spends some time checking the computer records...

"It seems that the mission log states that the initial mision was to scout the island and its environs for traces of long john...though as you should both know..." he says directing his comments to James and Caio "..that it normally only occurs in any great quantity in the oceans..." He closes his eyes and concentrates again.

"The intital set-up and placement went to plan...though the log notes indicate that the author..um..Dr Rodgers had some reservations about the placement of the base...which he believed too close to the hostile Sierra Nueva native settlements to the East and the Gendiver and colonial settlements to the west.  He seemed quite bitter about it actually....." he concentrates some more.

"Humm...the base was overflown...a few days after they arrived..but nothing seems to have come of it. Digital images of the overflight were retained...but the general concensus appeared to have been that the base's security hadn't been compromised..so work continued." He opens his eyes again..types some stuff on his keyboard, frowns then smiles.

"It seems the rest of the time here went smoothly...as Susan had said..." he looks up " ...up to here"

"At this point the log entries stop...about the morning of the attack, according to Susan."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on May 01, 2006, 06:40:41 PM
The bodyguard gradually recovers from his embarrassment.

"Okay Doc.  So have you got pictures of both sets od uglies.  One of them must have totalled the base."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 01, 2006, 09:10:06 PM
"Uglies?" he replies... "If you mean the jumpcraft that overflew the place..yes..." he punches a few buttons at the image of a jumpship flying over the base at about 1000ft can be seen...he freezes the image then zooms in clearly showing the Gendiver logo on the underside of it's fusalage.

"...as to the attack here itself..." he indicates the body "no, there wasn't any video evidence. The log entries simply stop at the time of the attack." he shrugs.

"Ok take a copy of the logs...we'll need that for our report..." says Suzzanne "So...does it say where the other Geologist was meant to have gone...or indeed ANY of the other members of the team?" She says turning towards both Caio and James.

"Apart from Susan who is still alive and the deceased Dr Williams here..... we are still missing Dr Rogers, Mr Dortmund, Mr Fenriss and Mr Bailey. From what Susan has said, both Dr Rogers, Mr Dormund...Harry and Mr Bailey...Bill were out on a survey...leaving just Mr Fenriss..Tom was just outside doing maintenance at the time of the attack." she pauses.

"I suppose if Mr Fenriss had been shot...and killed then those ape-like things could have...eaten him...but that doesn't explain the other three...unless they were ambushed by them...no, they...the creatures arrrived several days later if I remember...?"

Susan nodds...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 10, 2006, 09:38:54 PM
"There should be something else...tracks or something outside...ah.." says Suzanne "Do the logs contain any data regarding the survey sites?...If they were doing it properly they should be following some pattern, or a record of the sites that they had surveyed..."

She looks at Susan "Any ideas..." Susan looks blankly "...I suspect so but the two doctors well, they didn't tell me anything like that.."

"Ok...Doctor Keene...now you've got access...could you see if you can retrieve something like a schedule?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 12, 2006, 07:59:27 AM
Dr. Keene closes his eyes yet again and after a while of some frowning and rapid eyemovement (under his closed eyes) he returns to reality.

"Yes there appears to be... Ah found it. It seems that they were doing their analysis in a grid-pattern. The next grid that they should have accessed is 4 km to the west from here. I'm copying the scedule and grid co-ordinates."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 12, 2006, 11:17:43 PM
"Good" says Suzzanne "Perhaps we will find out what happened to the rest... once Dr Keenes done here I think we should do a more through seach of the perifery of the base...perhaps find so tracks..?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 13, 2006, 01:25:19 PM
Ciao, wanbders up catching the end of the conversation. "Outside?" he asks "Definetly. Though we need to be careful for any more of those creatures as well." He looks around a touch, "well?" he asks.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 13, 2006, 01:52:46 PM
Dr. Keene frowns, "Yeah I'm done here". He unhooks his computer and stuffs it away. Dr. Keene gets up and starts fo the door. "After you big guy", he says to James.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 13, 2006, 02:05:36 PM
OOC: Jason?  :P
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 13, 2006, 03:18:24 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(Grinnen Baeritt @ May 13 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback
33522[/snapback]]
OOC: Jason?  :P
OOC: James, sorry.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 13, 2006, 08:11:47 PM
"Susan, gather your stuff together...if you can find anything. I'll stay here and make sure that the place won't be a source of information.." slight smirk appears on her face "...to anyone else blundering upon it."

She frowns... and waits unti the James and Caio have just started to leave.

"Doctor, wait a moment", before you go out, did you find anything else out of interest?"

Susan starts to gather what stuff she had (there is much left of anything...the ape-like creatures did a good job in trashing the rest of the base...except the research lab).
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 15, 2006, 07:28:51 AM
Dr. Keene walks over to her and says, "Only some soil sample data, but it was a bit garbled, possibly due to James' ... hmh ... rough handling of the delicate computers". Dr. Keene leans close and speaks quietly "There were some findings... or rather lack of findings. So far they have only found trace elements of whatever they were looking for. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is Long John. The thing is that they are looking for it on dry land. I probably don't need to tell you what it would mean if they would actually find it on dry land..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 15, 2006, 02:44:30 PM
Suzanne nods, and pauses in thought. "All very strange.. Okay, lets go..." she turns and looks at Susan who is still pottering around with what is left of her possesions..and frowns.

"Something is definetely wrong here, that's for sure...." she draws her sidearm and ushers Dr.Keene and Susan out of the building.

"Susan, we are going to spread out and look for tracks now it is a bit lighter.. If..or should I say WHEN we find some we should get some clue as to what is happening here..." She grabs her arm "You stay close to me.. when we've done here we'll return to our jump ship...it lies over in that direction" she says pointing.

(OOC: Could all players make some percentile rolls and put them in the OOC Thread..Thank you.  ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 18, 2006, 09:46:24 AM
Though it is daytime (and a Posiedon day is 30 hours long.. ;) ), the clearing is still fairly murky. The occasional ray of sunlight does break through the light jungle canopy.

Outside the "Stealth" generator/jammer still humms softly, the creatures lie dead wherever they were shot.

The group cautiously sweep the area for clues...

(OOC: I did rolls for those who hadn't supplied them.. ;), also the previous information needs to be taken into account..a reminder as to what has happened previously.

1. When you arrived at the base, there was only one small hovercraft, yet the jumpship pilot who brought them here un-loaded two...the slight depresion were it had been parked was found, but these have been obscured now but the skirmish with the creatures outside.
2. The northern-most module had been entered by someone or something using either light or heat.)


The main clearing produces no clues, apart from several scuff marks though these could have been caused during the melee. The group continues around the building and come across several tracks around the northern module.

Two sets of tracks, booted..approaching from different directions are quickly found. (Those of James and Caio...who had searched around the building the previous day). As Caio scanns the area around the breach into the building (not barracaded from inside) he spots something.

A clear set of military issue booted footprints coming from the north. Following these for about 10-20ft into the jungle he comes accross several other tracks (possibly barefeet human) about 10ft away from the edge of the clearing (Just inside the "Stealth/Proximity Alarm Field"). To follow either set of prints would necessitate going through the field.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 18, 2006, 07:07:48 PM
"Over here" shouts Ciao. He waits until the others are near and points to the track. "Monkeys don't wear boots" he says softly "Someone else was here." Checking his weapon Ciao looks towards where the prints head off "We need to follow these tracks."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 18, 2006, 07:13:25 PM
"What about those..?" says Suzanne pointing towards the other tracks (the possibily barefoot ones)..."the apes didn't make these either.."

Closer inspection reveal that these tracks didn't actually enter the building but seemed to head within 5ft of the breech then seemed to head round the buildings.

The booted tracks enter and exit the building..or at least start and stop there.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 19, 2006, 04:33:01 AM
Dr Keene feels that his is out of his element once again, and tries to stay out of the way of the muscle. I'm too old for this crap, he thinks for himself. Dr Keene starts speculating out loud,
"Which tracks should we follow? I think that the barefootted ones could come from the researchers, since if they were unprepared for an attack would not have had time to put boots on. On the other hand some remove the boots of captives to make escape harder... They could also belong to some native humans"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 19, 2006, 08:55:20 AM
"I hardly think that they would be the researchers tracks...according to Susan they were either outside already doing maintenance..or on the survey..." Suzanne says rather harshly.

"...besides if you wanted to take them prisoner...I wouldn't risk them being hurt by some of the fauna and flora around here..." she says crushing a small ant-like creature.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 19, 2006, 09:37:48 AM
"Well the tracks lead outside of our proximity field, so logically its a fair bet to assume that someone landed on the island, entered the base and then left again. The scientists here" he says glacing them over "wouldn't risk external surveys without following precautions and procedures. I would imagine they work in teams..." he trails off. "Regardless thats the way we are going."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 20, 2006, 05:02:25 PM
You slowly peer into the verdant green murky undergrowth. The booted tracks appear to head off northwards...so you follow. Looking at the tracks more closely you can see that though these booted tracks lead off towards the north another set of tracks has been disturbed (the direction of travel appears to be headed towards the base), you continue tracking cautiously for a while...the booted tracks veer slightly towards the west. It is here you discover some more booted tracks, presumably those of the same person...joining the trail coming from the west.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 20, 2006, 06:29:57 PM
"That is the direction to where the next searchgrid is.", Dr. Keene says, pointing towards west. "Perhaps these tracks come from there?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 21, 2006, 10:23:20 AM
"They would have taken the hovercraft..." adds Susan, who had been plodding along morosely.

(OOC: You would remember that two hovercraft were dropped off at the island...but only one is at the camp..the best way form them to have used it would have been by following the stream which has less vegetation. The stream lies off to the west of the camp..)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 23, 2006, 04:48:42 AM
"Right. Well perhaps we should go to the stream, maybe we can find some kinds of signs of the second hovercraft", Dr. Keene responds.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 23, 2006, 07:56:40 PM
"Perhaps we should take the hovercraft and follow, that way if the trail leaves the area we can still follow?" suggest Ciao.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 23, 2006, 09:18:45 PM
Susan looks up "Thats if it is working properly...it was being worked on when the attack happened.."

Suzanne says "Good idea, lets follow the trail headed west, just for a while.. I think that heads in the direction of the stream.." she stops... "Susan, if they did take the hovercraft then the river would probably the best way to go..since they would probably be hauling equipment..right?"

Susan nodds in the affirmative.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 24, 2006, 06:32:18 PM
"How long will it take to perform a check and reapir of the hovercraft?" asks Ciao, "I want to be getting after this trail as soon as possible."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on May 24, 2006, 09:09:47 PM
James:

"C'mon Keeney.  You can drive."

He slides across the bonnet and jumps in the back.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 24, 2006, 09:24:09 PM
Dr. Keene grumbles "I haven't checked it out thoroughly yet... Give me a moment."

He pops the hood and checks that all is working properly, and checks to see if there is enough energy (or whatever these things run on) to make a 30 km round-trip.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 24, 2006, 11:33:11 PM
The hovercraft appears fairly functional...but messy, its got a lot of the babboon blood and gore all over and in it.

It starts up ok, raises slightly off the ground.

It has barely enough room for five people, (being designed for 3-4 including a small amount for storage)...it does have a hover-trailer section...which since it is currently empty can also be used for seating, though it is somewhat uncomfortable...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 25, 2006, 05:03:51 AM
"Yee hah" says Ciao "Time to go." He sits in the front and points to the scientists "If your coming in the back" he gestures by jerking his thumb "Otherwise its the trailer."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 25, 2006, 10:59:54 PM
Suzanne and Susan get in the trailer..

"Go easy...I don't want any un-necessary injuries...we are in the middle of no-where..remember?" Suzanne says shooting a glance at the back of James's head.

The hovercraft (and trailer) lift slowly on cushions of air..

(Unlike conventional modern hovercraft, these are steered using vectored thrust from the sides and rear).

It glides towards the stream (which is the direction you approached the camp from originally).

"The tracks headed towards the stream..up there" Suzanne says shouting over the fans and pointing upstream.

The stream is fairly shallow this far up the river. And quite a bit of skill is involved in steering it past the overhanging vines and stuff to avoid getting caught up in it.

(Edit: "oops". OOC: Please can I have two percentiles from everybody...and three from the driver..is Dr Keene)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 26, 2006, 06:49:06 AM
Ciao starts singing "Oh give me a Home, where the buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope plaaaayyyy...".

It's terrible, offkey and really annoying, but he's obviously enjoying himself. He breaks off and points "Look over there, theres the tracks" he pooints out.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 26, 2006, 12:06:47 PM
Dr Keene manages to glide the hovercraft smoothly down the river bank and onto the rather flatter stream bed, then heads up stream. He barely scrapes any of the skirts on the surrounding vegetation.

Caio points at something excitedly...but then realises he's seen nothing.

You travel for a couple of minutes when Dr Keene spots some tracks in the mud entering the stream from the left (west) and exiting on the opposite bank. Just further on up stream there is a low bank and some clear ground which looks suitable to take the hovercraft up.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 26, 2006, 12:22:06 PM
"No Caio," Dr Keene explains patiently, "they were some animal tracks, not human". To the others he yells over the humm of the fans: "Look, there, looks like a good place to turn out of this river". Dr Keene then turns the hovercraft west. "Let's see if we can follow them tracks, and find the area where the other scientis were supposed to be..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on May 26, 2006, 10:04:59 PM
As soon as Caio starts singing James taps him on the shoulder with his pistol and motions for silence.

"Are you courting trouble, sunshine?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 27, 2006, 11:17:42 AM
The doctor guides the hovercraft to the left and it climbs steadily up out from the riverbed and onto a small, flat open muddy clearing next to the stream. A quick look reveals that the tracks lead out through from some low vegetation directly ahead. However, several other tracks also enter and exit this area...it appears to be a common watering hole...

(The vegetation ahead can be breached by the hovercraft and there doesn't appear to be any large trees or obstacles in the direction of the survey site you are heading for..)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 27, 2006, 12:30:37 PM
Quote from: QUOTE(Gribble @ May 26 2006, 11:04 PM) [snapback
34305[/snapback]]
As soon as Caio starts singing James taps him on the shoulder with his pistol and motions for silence.

"Are you courting trouble, sunshine?"

"Of course not, but it's good to be out and about, and besides a little moment of light heartedness alleviates the mood of some people", the last said with a small amount of huffiness in his voice.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 28, 2006, 07:42:41 AM
"Lets stop fooling around up front shall we..." says Suzanne looking around at the surrounding foliage.

"Carry on Dr Keene...They must have used that route..." she says pointing at the thinner lower vegetation ahead.

(OOC: Four Percentiles each in the OOC Thread please  :) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 30, 2006, 09:21:32 AM
As Dr Keene guides the hovercraft into the light foliage...

Something stirs.

There is a shower of loose leaf litter and dirt as the rear part of the Hovercraft is shunted into the air by a force from beneath..

There is ripping and shredding sound as part of the hovercrafts skirts are torn away... and the hovercraft is wrenched sideways threatening to turn it over...

(Intended Actions Here...)

(Please post some more Percentile rolls in the OOC Thread please)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 30, 2006, 09:26:12 AM
*Crunch* *BANG*
"WHAT IN THE BLAZES WAS THAT?!?", an alarmed Dr. Keene yells. Have to keep the craft upright... Come on baby stay steady", Dr. Keene thinks while he is trying to wrestle with the craft to stay upright. "EVERYBODY! LEAN TO YOUR RIGHT TO KEEP THIS THING UPRIGHT!!!"

If he only can keep the vehicle moving and in one piece Dr. Keene will try to make a run for it.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on May 30, 2006, 09:52:04 AM
James responds immediately to the threat.  Hanging on with his stronger hand he leans out and fires a burst of flechette rounds under the craft.

"Now look what you've done!"

He grunts at Caio.

(ooc:  Keene's instructions and actions come last, right GM?)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 30, 2006, 10:16:42 AM
(OOC: Yep...but you might need to make those rolls to see if you can stay aboard first!  ;) )

Whatever has hit the craft is big and the back part of the hovercraft has been shunted suddenly in the air (perhaps 5ft or more...and James is in the back.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 01, 2006, 11:02:44 AM
As the Hovercraft is thrown into the air Dr Keene struggles to control it and finds that a hovercraft doesn't work to well when it's skirts are not in contact with the ground..

Next to him Caio, though initally surprised manages to brace himself and starts to draw his pistol.

Suzanne barely manages to avoid falling out the trailer as she tries to respond to the sudden collision from something erupting from the ground.

Susan and James are catapulted out and into the undergrowth, James rolls to his feet and quickly unleashes a burst of three shots at the thing that emerged so unexpectedly from the ground.
The first of the three shots hits ripping into the powerful tail section of the beast, shredding a large portion of well muscled flesh.

The creature is akin to a very large (about 5 meters long) amphibian-like crocodile with large fanged jaws. It shudders as it is hit, though it shakes off the inital shock and continues to attack....
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 01, 2006, 11:07:05 AM
Since people are flying out of the vehicle Dr. Keene will try to bring it to a stop so that people will have a chance to climb aboard. He will draw his gun, but will only shoot if he can get a real clean shot.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 04, 2006, 09:20:09 AM
(OOC: A change of declaration counts as changing your action...delaying it by 1 second (a round), so you can stop the craft (instead of accelerating it)  using one action, draw a gun in the next action etc.).

(a new set of percentiles in the OOC please...with a declaration of intent)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 04, 2006, 12:33:02 PM
James will continue his rapid fire.  Shouting to attract the creatures attention rather that the other party members.

(somewhat out of character but fulfilling his job description!)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 05, 2006, 05:16:18 AM
Dr. Keene will walk over to Susan and see if she is badly injured since she hasn't moved... He will keep looking around to see if more of these creatures appear.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 05, 2006, 02:12:33 PM
As the hovercraft comes to a rest briefly then it heads off in the direction that it was going.

James, on the jungle floor twists quickly and fires another shot at the creature that was getting ready to strike again. However, it actions are too slow and James's first shot slams into it rubbery hide blasting a rent in it's ribcage...the sounds of ribs cracking, splintering and shattering can be heard clearly... bits of the creatures shredded chest and ribcage spatter the surrounding area.

It finishes it's lunge and collapses with a wet heavy thump, twitching onto the muddy clearing.

Caio and Suzzane stand ready to fire, whilst Dr.Keene brings the craft to a halt.

Susan is found seconds later....she is shaking and pale, eyes fixed ahead.

"Doctor! Over there.." Shouts Suzzane as she spots the twitching form of the female technician, lying in the chest hugh vegatation to the side of the clearing.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 09, 2006, 07:47:16 AM
The bodyguard stays alert.  Looking around for more critters while the doc attends to Susan.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 09, 2006, 11:03:48 AM
Dr Keene recovers his standard medical kit from his backpack and hurries over to the prone figure of Susan.

It is clear that she is in a very bad way, the fall having been made worse by the remains of a tree stump that she fell upon. Moving her already shuddering body slightly away from the stump,  the Doctor discovers that she has gone into shock, her body spasming, eyes fixed in a stare. Hastily he extracts the correct pieces of equipment form the kit and works to relieve the symptoms that caused the onset of shock. He ripps the lower part of her clothing from her back to reveal a quite massive bruise across the lower part of her back.

He works for about  five minutes but there doesn't appear to be any improvement.

There doesn't appear to be anything else around...the creature lies still, its injures proved almost immediately fatal.

Nothing else stirs around...the hovercrafts engines still are on idle...so you can't hear much around.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 09, 2006, 11:17:54 AM
After working on Susanne for a while Dr. Keene understands that she is beyond his meagre skill. Good thing everything is still, he thinks. He then waves for Suzanne and says "I can't help the poor girl, but then again I'm no good at first aid. She probably has internal bleeding, and will die soon. Do something!" Dr. Keene goes then to fetch the hover vehicle closer.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 09, 2006, 02:46:46 PM
"Just do your best, Mr. Keene..." she looks around at the rest..

"You are probably the best chance she's got..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 09, 2006, 07:33:58 PM
"Ok, I'll give it another shot". Dr. Keene breaks out his first aid equipment and starts working on stabilizing Susanne again. Dr. Keene watches Susan spasm again. "Caio please come and help me!".
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 09, 2006, 11:11:38 PM
Caio comes over holstering his gun as he does so, kneels by Dr Keene as he desparately tries to stabilise the young women...the additional help allows the doctor to correctly apply the anti-inflamitories and pain killers into her back.

It takes almost nine minutes of work but by the end of it Susan stops shuddering and becomes more lucid.

"Well done Mr Keene.. can we move her?" says Suzzanne with a concerned look.

Susan answers "I...I..thinks I'll be okay.the...the pain has worn off a bit..." she tries to sit up..

"Aggghhh..." she winces "My back...is really quite numb...and stiff" she says with a forced smile.


(OOC: She is ok to act, and suffers a simple -10 to actions for a few days...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 10, 2006, 08:36:16 AM
James takes the opportunity to reload while he stands watch.

"Should have brought a real doctor on this trip.  Not to mention some real firepower the way things are shaping up."

He mutters to Suzanne.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 10, 2006, 08:44:33 AM
Suzanne shoots James a "don't mess" glance...

"Dr Keene coped admirably...we didn't have the time or space to cover every eventuality...remember Bruce is our reserve.." she turns to the rest.

"Ok...get her in the back of the hovercraft...lets get going..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 10, 2006, 08:51:56 AM
"Bruce?  Oh yeah. I feel better already."

He joins the others in the hovercraft, making a show of hanging on tight.

"You might want to keep a closer eye on what you are flying over from now on, Doc."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 11, 2006, 08:04:35 AM
After about three minutes of fairly cautious travel, the hovercraft comes across an obstacle in the way. Slightly obscured by foliage you can see lying amidst the undergrowth is another hovercraft, identical to yours...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 11, 2006, 08:34:25 AM
"Here we are, where ever here is." Dr. Keene stops the hovercraft close to the other. "James, go have a look", he says while drawing his gun.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on June 11, 2006, 08:14:04 PM
Caio takes his gun out and looks around first. "Time to investigate" he says leaving the hovercraft. Approaching cautiously he wwill move towards the craft slowly...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 13, 2006, 09:32:46 AM
As Caio moves slowly and carefully away one hovercraft towards the other, he barely hears a low humming buzzing sound over the sound of the idling fans of the parties hovercraft.

At first, he thinks it might be the other hovercrafts engines, but as he stops to listen more closely the humming becomes a very loud droning...

Looking through the undergrowth he can see the hovercraft its skirts flattened and engine off. Through the foliage it is difficult to see clearly but the hovercrafts hull is coated with a green fungus and its surface is somewhat pitted.

The droning sound comes from both the left and right just ahead...

(OOC: The droning got louder because you were moving away from the parties hovercraft...it's pitch and volume being about the same so difficult to distinguish)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 14, 2006, 05:00:06 AM
"Since when did you start telling ME what to do, doc?"

He then ignores the scientist to cover Caio.

"What now?"

He starts backing away.

"Not bugss!  I hate bugs!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 14, 2006, 06:20:30 AM
As Caio moves a bit closer  he can see that there is a couple of odd-shaped greenish mounds close by the hovercraft.

He gets a bit closer and discovers that they are corpses...

Crawling over the corpses are a variety of insect like creatures including some large 2-3" wasp/bee like creatures...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 14, 2006, 10:38:59 AM
"What do you see? Do do you need assisance?" Dr. Keene asks James and Caio.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on June 14, 2006, 07:33:31 PM
"Corpses" he answers grimly "Some sort of bugs on them. Insects..." he stops and moves no closer. "Do we know of anything that would result in them being covered in fungus so quickly?"

Ciao keeps his weapon trained on the creatures but makes no overtly hostile reaction...yet.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 14, 2006, 08:05:15 PM
"Insects?, Fungus? I think I'm going to want some samples of that. Perhaps try to see if I can't get some DNA from the 2 corpses, just to be able to verify that they are who we think." Dr. Keene holsters his gun and starts to rummage in his backpack for some sample containers... "Ah. Here we are." Dr. Keene walks carefully over to Caio. "Caio, would you like to help me?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 15, 2006, 08:25:27 AM
Disturbed by the approach of Ciao and Dr. Keene the insect-like creatures take to the air and hover around, none appear to be aggressive. Approaching closer, it can be seen that both bodies have been throughly scavenged...what remains are left are being picked over by some small worm and slug like creatures.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 16, 2006, 11:37:39 PM
As Caio and the Doctor approach the buzzing creatures scatter a little more, droning constantly out of reach, they don't seem aggresive though, you move towards them they move away.

Whilst Caio (and James from a distance) covers the doctors sample collecting nothing indicates a threat from the flying creatures or the earth-bound scavengers...

The doctor collects the samples rather easily though viable DNA samples prove harder to collect.

He anayalses them using his mini-comp and Suzanne comes over and provides him with the DNA records.

It proves to be a 85% match on one and a 99% match on the other.

One appears to be Dr Rodgers (99%) and the other Bill Bailey (85%), though neither have any identifying marks with which to identify them.

"Ok..." says Suzzanne .... "That leaves two unacounted for.. Tom Fendriss and Harry Dortmund..." she turns and walks back to the hovercraft.

"Susan, where did you say everybody was....would either of these two been out here?" she says to the now tearful communications specialist.

"I think Harry came with them, Tom was performing maintenance..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 17, 2006, 08:28:51 AM
Dr. Keene gets back in to the hovercraft. He checks his computer to verify that they are at the grid that they were supposed to be at. "Too bad that the Fast Fungus grows here, and all those scavengers. It's hard if not impossible to tell how they died... Can anyone find any kinds of tracks, except ours, leading away from here?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 17, 2006, 02:41:15 PM
The positioning of the hovercraft indicates that it was heading back to the base (it is roughly half way back from the co-ordinates of the search site.

(OOC: Please can anybody outside the hovercraft make some percentile rolls...about 4.. ;) , I'm not sure whether James went to look or not...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 18, 2006, 07:04:20 AM
(from where ever he is James spots some tracks, apparently originating from this site and heading back, at a walk, down the trail you have been following....and identifies them as being the same booted tracks that were found at the camp..)

The two corpses are fairly well decomposed, however, upon a tentative and slightly closer inspection Caio can see that one has a fairly large hole in the back of the head, the other has a slightly smaller hole in the right side of the chest.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 21, 2006, 06:43:57 PM
"So...it looks like Harry would have been here with them....can you lot see any other bodies..?" asks Suzzanne..
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 21, 2006, 08:51:45 PM
"Unless it wasn't harry who made the holes in their heads... Dr. Keene ponders out loud. "That is if we can't find any evidence of Harry. And to me this is starting to look more and more like an inside job... What do you think Suzanne?" Dr. Keene then walks over to where the two corpses are and starts to rummage around in the foilage.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 21, 2006, 10:49:06 PM
"Yes it does doesn't it...." says Suzanne with a serious expression.

"So we have two members missing and one who is still alive and with us..." she says indicating Susan. "From what my staff records indicate, Harry would have been the best person to make an attack, though he has an exempliary record....Tom on the other hand, doesn't exactly have an unblemished record, it appears that he was brought in at short notice when one of the original team fell ill before coming out here.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 22, 2006, 10:59:25 AM
"I say we follow these track that James found to their source, in to that jungle there. Perhaps we can find some more information once we get there. Another possibility would be to split up, half would follow the tracks the others would follow the trail that the other hovercraft is on"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 25, 2006, 12:10:07 PM
"Splitting up?..No..I don't think so..." says Suzzanne, with a slightly preoccupied look on her face.

"The hovercraft looks like it was heading back towards the base.... so my guess it that they had already been to the survey site and had finished there..unless something chased them off..." she continues..

"Yes, Dr.Keene, following those tracks back into the jungle might be a good idea...having seen them myself they appear to make for easy tracking..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 27, 2006, 04:36:19 AM
James asks a few questions when he is sure that Susan is not able to overhear.  Asking his team mates separately if necessary

"Are we sure that Tom's body is not Harry's in disguise. "

"What is the background of Susan and is it really her.  I don't believe her story."

"Do you want to check out the survey site before following thses tracks.  They'll still be here and ther might be some clues there."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 27, 2006, 06:28:21 AM
"Good questions", Dr. Keene answers slowly. "We can't really be all to sure since the DNA is so degraded... I  just a worry that if we go to the survey site first the tracks could be flushed away in some sudden rain storm. Anyway we do have the coordinates of the last survey site, so that at least won't go away.", he continues, and taps his head to emhasize. "But if you feel strongly about it I guess we could go to the survey site first.", Dr. Keene adds.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 27, 2006, 09:05:37 AM
Suzzanne looks in James direction.. "We can always test Susans DNA...we have a record of all the survey team...I'm sure that she wouldn't mind..." then looking at the sky through the reasonably light canopy at this point... "You maybe right Keene...the weather does appear to be shifting somewhat...I think whatever we do, we should do quickly".
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 30, 2006, 10:05:32 AM
"Lets track then.  I'll take point.  Caio you can guard the backtrail."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 30, 2006, 09:37:09 PM
"Lead on!". Dr. Keene follows as the last, after making sure that his pack contains a water flask and that his pack is secure. "Let's hope that this trail doesn't go so far that we have to spend the night out doors", he mutters.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 30, 2006, 10:52:14 PM
"Ok lets go...I'll follow you Susan, you go behind James, Caio you go last..behind the Doctor" she says drawing her pistol.

The group head off into the jungle following the quite deep heavy tracks for about 10 minutes when....

(OOC: Yep! Pecentile rolls, 2 please!)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 01, 2006, 02:15:16 PM
"Look there!" Dr. Keene says and points at a greenish egg-shapedstructure ahead. "That is a G.E.O. Atmospheric Incursion Pod. That's probably where these tracks originate from. Let's go have a look if we can find some clue about the identity of the person who used it", he continues.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 01, 2006, 07:37:16 PM
(OOC: Sorry my error of ommission....it's only used to hold ONE person.. ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 01, 2006, 08:42:55 PM
OOC: Oh. I imagined it brimming with a sqad of them ;) Hmm 3m can't really hold that many... Oh well I've edited my post.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 02, 2006, 02:59:50 PM
(OOC:Of course there COULD have been more but you simply haven't come across them yet.... ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 02, 2006, 03:27:33 PM
"Yes, by all means, investigate further... James could you accompany the doctor please?" says Suzanne rather sharply and is looking rather concerned... "What the Hell are the G.E.O. doing here?" she says spinning around to face Caio. " Do you know anything about this!".

Caio shakes his head in the negative...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 02, 2006, 06:28:27 PM
"Ok. Caio, lets go have a look." Dr. Keene and Caio sneak of in to the underbrush to have a closer look at the green G.E.O. "egg". I wonder if I should draw my gun... Better let Caio do the shooting for now... Dr. Keene thinks. To Caio he says "Would you like to be first?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 02, 2006, 09:43:55 PM
"I'm meant to be guarding the back, I thought James was taking point?" says Caio to Suzanne..

"OK...if you want Caio Doctor , then perhaps he should go first..." says Suzzanne "...perhaps he can work out why a G.E.O. atmopheric insertion pod is out here at all..."

Caio shrugs then moves forward...

(OOC: Two more rolls please...for everyone investigating the pod... ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 04, 2006, 09:09:13 PM
James hangs back watching the teams and looking out for outside trouble.  His suspicions about Susan being a ringer are not allayed by this new development.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 04, 2006, 09:10:06 PM
"Yeah I want Caio too. He should know more about this thing then me. I'll take the rear. " Dr. Keene Motions to Caio to go before him. "Will you two be OK here?", he asks Suzanne?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 05, 2006, 02:59:49 PM
(OOC: So I'll still be wanting some rolls in the OOC Thread...please ;) )

Caio moves past everbody else and shrugs at James as he passes..

Caio moves in after drawing his pistol...and has a look, whilst Dr.Keene and James cautiously approach.

Suzzanne has drawn her weapon and is looking suspiciously at the jungle, which is quite close..

Nobody has offered Susan a gun as yet.

"Could I have a gun? I can't shoot very well...but I rather have something to defend myself with than be unarmed..." says Susan.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 05, 2006, 03:19:55 PM
Dr. Keene draws his gun and and says to Susan, "I'd give give you one but, you know, company regulations..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 05, 2006, 03:31:30 PM
"Nobody gives that chick a gun."

James drawls, not caring if she overhears him.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 05, 2006, 05:58:35 PM
Suzanne looks at James... "No, Susan as James here has pointed out, you could be as much to blame for this as anyone else...so you will understand that I am not going to arm you...." she looks back at James. "But you are a company employee, and as such, it is part of James contractal obligations to ensure that NO harm comes to you....but you WILL stay with us under HIS protection until I say otherwise..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 05, 2006, 06:32:42 PM
James nod and smile of aquiescence to Suzanne metamorphoses in something a lot less reassuring as he fixes his eyes on Susan.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 05, 2006, 09:02:08 PM
"What in the name of ..." Dr. Keene starts as he sees the pod. "What do you all make out of this?" Dr. Keene asks.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 05, 2006, 09:27:08 PM
Caio, too, looks a little confused... and takes a closer look, carefully checking everthing out before approaching closer.

"No...no life support...or communications....well, might have been communications." he says whilst poking through the almost bare pod. "...I suppose that could have been removed...there is no homing beacon or uplink capability...."

"It's almost as if it was used for a cargo drop..." he says "...as I don't think it could support anyone coming into the atmosphere".

Looking around the Pod you discover that the tracks definitely came from here... but you can't see any tracks leading to here.

"I don't know much about this sort of thing I'm afraid I'm as much in the dark as you are..." says Caio.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 05, 2006, 09:33:52 PM
"She must be some kind of cyborg to have survived that landing.  I saw it on an old 2D entertainment channel once.  Pull out an eye to see what happens.  Maybe we should kill her while we have the chance!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 05, 2006, 09:46:24 PM
"No James....we won't.." she says calmly and with absolutely no trace of amusement.

"Though you may have had a point...." she turns to Caio.

"Caio...Doctor Keene...Could someone in a pressure suit survive a drop from altitude in that?"

Caio shuggs.."I suppose so...but even...no, not really no" he says shaking his head "The pod looked like it has airbrakes and retros...both seem to have deployed...but I wouldn't have wanted to have been in it. There doesn't appear to be ANY sort of way of reducing the concussive effects of the landing on the occupant.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 07, 2006, 08:04:56 PM
"Great!"

Exclaims James, keeping his eyes on Susan.

"First bugs and now cyborgs."

He turns to Suzanne but he is still really watching the no. 1 suspect.

"Hey, I want a raise..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 07, 2006, 11:20:55 PM
"Well then you just better hope I put in a good report..." she says with the briefest flicker of a smile "..cause I've got the authority to award bonuses....where I think they are due."

"You've done a good job so far... though the episode with the locks could have been handled better..." she smirks... "I'm sure that can be overlooked though..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 09, 2006, 03:06:36 PM
(OOC: Talking of awards...I'm going to issue everybody 200 Character improvement points (CHips) now, please post any five things (in order of importance) that you would like to improved on your character, only ONE of these things can be something that has NOT been used at some point in the adventure... Oh, and don't get your hopes up 200 points don't go very far if you have a high skill already...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 10, 2006, 06:03:35 AM
perception
tracking
open locks
hand to hand
firearms
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 11, 2006, 02:11:53 PM
Suzanne turns to Dr.Keene..

"So...it was unlikely that anything living would have survived re-entry or at least the fall... so where would it have come from and why, seems a lot of trouble to go to to attack our base with robot, cyborg or whatever" she looks at James "...surely a airstike would have been simpler..."

"If this is GEO equipment...then it could be they attacked us...but why send us a GEO operative to help us?" she says.

Susan, who had been quiet up till now... "We, I mean, the base was overflown, remember? Could have been them.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 11, 2006, 02:52:22 PM
Dr keene starts to recap and ponder aloud, "We can clearly see that someone walked away from here. And I doubt that it was an android. Perhaps they padded the capsule with something organic, and the quick fungus has eaten it all. I don't know, why but I'm getting a feeling that it has to do with the research they did. May be an airstrike would have been too visible?".

After a short pause he continues, "This capsule couls also be a decoy. They could have simply dropped it in addition to parachuting (or antigraving or something) a lone trooper. We have no way of knowing where this pod came from, or who dropped it. Susan you are probably right. It was probably the same who overflew you who was responsible for this. Anyway we can clearly see that someone walked from here towards where the base was, and met and assassinated Dr. Rodgers and Mr. Bailey. He then walked to the base and disposed of them there. Where did he go from there? We did see some barefoot tracks, right? Did we see any prints leading away from the base? Should we go back and follow them?".

"I think we should go back towards the base and have a look at those other tracks!", Dr. Keene adds after a moment's thought.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 11, 2006, 07:09:51 PM
"Well, heading back seems to make sense, since at least two of the survey crew are here. And since they appeared to have been coming back... I'm not sure there is any point in going that way." she indicates towards the survey site.

"These tracks are deep...something heavy made them, certainly heavier than you or I" she says picking a foot off the floor of the jungle to inspect her own footprint.. the ground is soft and covered in a damp mulch.

"Yes, the other tracks we found were barefoot or at least light-footed...I seem to remember thinking at the time there could have been more than one set...we found them near the hole where, someone or something cut open the storage module from the inside.." say Caio.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 12, 2006, 10:08:13 AM
"Or the prints could be made by persons carrying something heavy."

Pointing out the obvious.
 
"Is anything missing or has anything important found by 'our guys' and taken back by someone or something else?"

He still disagrees with the others about not checking the survey site.

"There may be some kind of clue to what is going on here.  We have potentially four different interests in this area.  You guys, the geo, the locals and the indians."

(dragging up an old world term - he likes his old holo-flicks)

"I say we check out the site then torture Susan and probably Ciao as well in case he is a double agent."

It is not clear whether he is joking ...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 12, 2006, 12:02:46 PM
"Ok James...let us go to the survey site, according to Dr.Keene it shouldn't be much further...." she smiles "and no, we won't be torturing anybody, with anything, including your wit..."

"The locals...being..the rival corperation? Yes, for me that would be the obvious suspect, though why the GEO wouldn't just close us down through normal channels is slightly beyond me, and I suspect that Caio is just as confused as the rest of us..independant colonials. I don't think there are any out here, and if there were why the hostility? If the base were looted, now that might make some sense...a native attack?" she shrugs "Well, to date, nothing inland has ever been attacked..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 14, 2006, 12:32:46 PM
You all retake your original positions within the hovercraft and the Doctor edges it around the discarded one. This proves slightly tricky but eventually the Doctor breathes a sigh of relief and it's passage through the jungle becaomes somewhat easier.

It takes a further 10 minutes to reach the co-ordinates given as the last survey site, your arrival there is a bit of a disappointment as it looks much like the rest of the jungle that you had been passing through. There are no apparent areas of interest and the site is unremarkable.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 14, 2006, 04:35:55 PM
James climbs off the hovercraft and starts to look around.

"C'mon Doc, use your skills ..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 15, 2006, 08:37:42 PM
James looks around somewhat dissapointedly.  

"Hey, Keene.  Can you get a copy of the survey team's data from that thing?"

He keeps looking for tracks or something other than jungle
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 17, 2006, 07:36:23 PM
James would recognise the item that squats in the centre of the grid as a passive collector. Without opening it and extracting the data (you suspect that since the crew had been maintaining radio silence that it wasn't set to beam information back to the base....)

A quick investigation of the collector reveal very little, a few slight tremors (no unusal on Posiedon), temperature/pressure readings and a rainfall meter. Dr Keene extracts tihs information with his mini-comp.

The only readings on it covered a period of about 12 days ago (when the survey team, you assume would have last taken the readings....)

(OOC: Mr Wolf ...a percentile roll if you please...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 18, 2006, 07:26:08 AM
Dr. Keene loos funny for a second. He then regains his composture. "We have a possible hurricane building up", he says calmly. "I suggest we head for our ship NOW!" Dr. Keene looks up to the sky. "What do you people think, do we have time to go follow the other tracks back at the base? The hurricane will surely wipe out all traces of them."

Dr. Keene then hops back into the hovervehicle. To James he says, "What would you do with this data?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 18, 2006, 03:18:26 PM
Suzanne looks up from her data pad...

"Hurricane?" she looks around.. "do you know how long?..we could always ask Bruce to pick us up if it were urgent..."

"We head back now...I want to know what happened here...before it hits...if it hits. Yes, a hurricane would somewhat spoil our chances of following tracks...best we head back at best speed then.."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 18, 2006, 03:26:17 PM
"The air preasure has been building for the previous 24 hours, so quite soon I would guess". Dr. Keene starts the engines and navigates out of the wood as fast as he can manage while keeping it safe. Once he gets to open ground he accelerates to full cruise speed.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 18, 2006, 04:34:31 PM
"Fine, head back to the base, we will see what we can find in a couple of hours, then we'll use your remote to re-establish contact with Bruce...and tell him to expect us."

Dr Keane gently starts to turn the hovercraft round...unfortunately, he forgets to adequately compensate for the "drift" effect of the hovercraft...it slides sideways at the apex of the turn, catches some overhanging foliage...

There is a ripping and shredding sound from behind the hovercraft, you slow down to discover that the trailer passengers are covered in shredded vines etc....

This in itself MAY have been amusing except both Suzanne and Susan's faces are now badly scratched, with Susan having quite a deep cut on the cheek.

It then becomes apparent that the hovercrafts engines have started to make funny noises...

Quickly, Dr Keene shuts the engines down...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 21, 2006, 09:31:21 PM
Dr. Keene then hops down from the steering compartment and tends to the wounds of the two women. "So sorry about that", he says genuinly concerned. After he has treated them he says to the others "I think it's the women's turn to sit inside. Right? If we can get this thing moving again."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 21, 2006, 10:36:57 PM
As the engines grind to a halt, slight traces of smoke can be smelt from the fans....

Suzanne looks at the Doctor with something less than gratitude... "No...we shall be fine...just, be a little more careful, at the moment...well I don't see any great necessity for haste...we are only 10-15 minutes from the base...you break this, well, we could be a couple of hours..."

Susan just looks nervous, and appears happy to excahange places with someone at the front.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 22, 2006, 06:34:27 AM
James gets out to let Suzanne take his place.  Before he gets in he checks his gun and says to Keene.

"If you damage this face buddy there will be a reckoning."

He looks at the smoke coming from the engines.

"Hey, this thing isn't going to blow up, is it?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 23, 2006, 06:15:27 AM
The engines don't look as bad as when the jumpship run through a load of a "blimps" tentacles...though there is a definite, grinding sound as it comes to a stop. Easily visiable a small lengths of some very tough vines...

The engines, fans, and gears probably arenot that damaged but extended continued useage my cause the unit to sieze up...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 29, 2006, 10:52:39 PM
Caio looks up with a smile on his face..."First it was Bruce with those flying jellyfish and the Jumpship...now it's you with the hovercraft...." he laughs.

"Make sure those fans are turned off...I'll help clear the crap out of them..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 31, 2006, 06:13:29 AM
Dr. Keene double checks that the power is of. "Thanks, I appreciate the help", he says a bit embarrased. He begins to clear of the vines with Caio. "Obviously these things happen to the best of us", he says with a smirk.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 31, 2006, 08:23:02 AM
The delay proves only to be a minor one and after a little combined tinkering the group head off once more back to the base.

When you arrive at the river you manage to pick up the tracks of the heavy booted individual.. which lead back to the camp. Specifically the way they take when they get there is somewhat random, seeming to go round the side of the building before heading back to the rear of the base and apparenlty going through the rear wall of the storage area.

(OOC: Some more percentiles please...in the OOC thread.)

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 05, 2006, 09:18:17 AM
Although Dr Keene at first loses the heavily booted prints, James and Caio both manage to keep track of them... they however do not find the other, apparently barefoot tracks (which appear fresh) and the other tracks which were found earlier when you arrived.

Having a closer look at the tracks, James determines that the booted tracks both went in and came out of the rend in the wall heading off towards the north, whilst the lighter tracks from earlier only went within a couple of feet of the rend...It appears as they didn't go in, and headed around to the front of the building.

The lighter, fresher tracks are found further out and appear just to have skirted the perimeter.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 05, 2006, 09:37:59 AM
This is what the group as a whole discover...you successfully manage to discount your own tracks  ;)

[attachmentid=362]

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 08, 2006, 09:23:52 PM
ooc:  these are new tracks or old ones?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 09, 2006, 07:37:56 AM
The apparently barefoot ones (the ones that don't come into the camp) are newer, possibly made today.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 12, 2006, 01:08:51 PM
"These fresh tracks?...how fresh exactly?" says Suzanne, looking over at Caio and James who are poking around in the vegatation near the new tracks...

"Not long...perhaps hours..perhaps less..." says Caio getting to his face and looking nerviously around.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 12, 2006, 05:27:51 PM
"Then perhaps we should follow them?" Dr. Keene asks, and starts to follow the tracks.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 17, 2006, 06:33:54 PM
James joins in the search ...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 20, 2006, 02:30:48 PM
It isn't long before the source of the new prints is discovered..

"Hello...don't shoot.." a voice calls out "I'm just passing by and stumbled upon this place.."

The owner of the voice has yet to show itself, but sounds male, with a voice that is heavily accented (Native).
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 20, 2006, 06:38:56 PM
"Ambush!"

Hisses James, drawing his pistol and getting into cover.

ooc: lets not make this easy...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 20, 2006, 06:56:34 PM
Dr. Keene draws his gun, and calls "Throw your guns out and come out real slow with your hands behind your head! And don't make any sudden moves! Else we might mistake you for someone who isn't just passing by!"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 20, 2006, 11:06:45 PM
As soon as you start drawing guns...everything goes quiet.

You can't see anything...whoever it was seemed to be some 20-30M away, somewhere to the east.

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 21, 2006, 08:37:44 AM
James points to Keene.

"You circle left.  Ciao to the right."

James dives forward, weapon ready.

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 21, 2006, 09:04:27 AM
"Ok...Ok I'm over here...don't get stressed" says a voice about 15-20M to SE.

A human, (fairly obviously an aquaform though) clad in loose tatty fatigues comes out of the bushes near Suzanna and Susan, he is armed with a rifle though he is holding it loosely over one soulder by the barrel...the other hand is empty, he wears a back-pack. Around his neck is strung a pair of light boots (fairly well used).
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 21, 2006, 02:27:55 PM
Dr. Keene turns to face the stranger and calls" Drop that rifle really slowly and take a couple of steps forward".

If he complies Dr. Keen walks closer to him and asks "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

If not, then Dr. Keene will take aim and call "James, neutralize him!" to the stranger he will say: "Drop that rifle NOW!"

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 21, 2006, 03:58:22 PM
"James, Dr.Keene, Caio....you lower YOUR guns....if he had wanted to shoot anybody I suspect he could have done it by now. He hasn't and he has come out of cover willingly." says Suzanne in a calm tone.

You notice that she has drawn her gun too.

"So as Dr Keene asked, who are you and what exactly are you doing here...? I thought this island was virtually uninhabited so where did you spring from..?"

He lowers his gun to the ground slowly but holds the rifle by the barrel, he does not lay it on the ground.

"Me? I'm a scout out of Puerto del Norte, the colonial settlement to the south, do you know it?"

He looks at the others..and then the remains of the creatures scattered around the camp.

"Humm, had a run in with the Crying Children heh..?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 21, 2006, 05:19:30 PM
James reluctantly holsters his weapon.

"Children?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 21, 2006, 05:30:27 PM
Dr. Keene lowers his gun. "And Still you haven't told us what you are doing here.", he says dryly.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 21, 2006, 07:29:19 PM
"Children? Well, no not exactly children, we call them that because of the sounds they make when they are hunting...like the cries and sobs of young children..we natives call them Nino Muerto...or dead children. I thought I heard I heard them a few days back...but I steered clear...best to, I'm surprised they didn't take you down...they must have lost their leader recently...or been a young group..."

"My name?...I'm Kursal. My trireme got damaged and its beached over the far side of the island..." he points through the jungle over towards the mudflats where the jumpship landed

"...so I walked over to Hardlife... it's a small colonial outpost...barely a stopoff point really to Crystal City...hoped they would have some bits I needed to make the repairs for barter.." he looks a bit disgruntled.

"Wanted more than I had to give. Heard from some drunks in a bar that someone had been found over here and there was somesort of secret base over here..." indicates the buildings. "...thought I might be able to salvage some stuff to trade."

"So, who are you?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 23, 2006, 10:08:09 AM
"Well if it aint your lucky day, sailor.  This lady here has enough credits to buy you a wole new boat."

He drawls, indicating the boss.

"That's if you are up to helping us with a bit of detective work?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 23, 2006, 07:49:20 PM
Suzanne looks briefly at James before turning and speaking again to the new arrival.

"Yes, you see we are here to do the very same thing...and my employers would be interested in any information that you have....or could provide. I'm sure we could come to a satisfactory agreement with regards to any compensation you may require for your time..." she says with a slightly sultry voice and a smile.

"Information? But I don't know anything about this place..." he says somewhat nervously "..I haven't been much closer than this before..."

"You mentioned that the colonials found someone here and.....had taken them back?" Suzzanne adds.

Susan interrupts..."What did they look like..."

"No, No...I didn't say that, well not that they had taken them back...though it's possible I suppose. Overheard it in a bar...not sure how reliable THAT source was, though they were right about this base being here.." he says with a small laugh..
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 23, 2006, 09:23:46 PM
James basks in his employers admiration.

"So you can't help?"

He asks, casually...
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 23, 2006, 10:35:57 PM
Kursal looks at James with something like indignation on his face..."No, I didn't say that... but I can get you to that bar, safely...and could probably identify that person for you..." he says turning to Suzanne and Dr Keene..

"You two...look like corporates, I can tell you for free, the colonials don't like incorporates much better than us natives, not since Gendiver survey teams been seen rooting around the islands to the South-west...trying to muscle in on  colonial land, no doubt." He looks over at Caio..

"G.E.O.?" he purses his lips and shakes his head.... "You here baby-sitting them making sure they aren't up to no good...?" he laughs before Caio has a chance to answer. "Damn lot of good you guys are doing out here, your patrol nets got holes so large a herd of sunbursts could get through...."

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 27, 2006, 08:03:38 AM
"Yeh...sure I'll help you...if the lady here will shout for some of the repairs.." Tursal says with a smile.

Suzzane nods briefly before turning to the rest.... "So now we know someone else survived...and they have been taken to a settlement...probably I guess for a ransom of sorts..assuming he is still alive."

She looks at James and Caio... "It seems that you two are most likely to fair well there.." she says looking down at her clothes. The smart, but functional lightweight business suit is looking a little out of place...

"What about these other tracks...?" asks Caio.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 27, 2006, 12:29:02 PM
"Great, I could do with something to drink."

James smiles.

"Got any local money we can flash around?"

He asks the boss.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 27, 2006, 01:16:13 PM
"Caio, I agree, think that some of us should have a look at these other tracks." Dr. Keene says to Caio and Suzanne. "I don't think anybody in that bar would want to talk to me, politely anyway.", he adds with a smirk.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 31, 2006, 11:28:35 AM
"Ah...yes" answers Suzanne rather absent-mindedly to James as she considers the options.

"I don't think it wise we split up..." she decides "these colonials, if they have a member of our team...they may try for some kind of reward...assuming they can prove who they have got. If they do have him, then, well unless they are stupid they'll keep him safe.."

Turns to Tursal..... "How much?"

Tursal looks a bit taken aback... "Oh, the normal rates less the cost of the parts I need.." he says then smiling hopefully.

"Ok. I'm in a hurry here...we'll pay the standard guide rates..when you get us there, we'll double it if its one of the men we want and you help recover him...I'm sure we can help you out with the boat parts..."

"We'll do those tracks next..." she says indicating the heavilly booted tracks heading off into the jungle.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 04, 2006, 10:25:09 PM
"Well.." Suzzanne says, making ushering motions..."What are you all waiting for?"

Caio is the first to move and turns to follow the trail of rather obvious heavy printed boot marks.

Tursal also turns to follow but whispers to James as he passes. "Is she always this bossy?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 13, 2006, 01:38:38 PM
"Only when she has the hots for you..."

Replies the smirking bodyguard.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 16, 2006, 04:16:33 PM
The group heads off north rather carefully in the wake of the more heavily booted tracks..

these seem to head off into the undergrowth, and the trail is airly easy to follow becuase who or what made the trail/tracks didn't seem that bothered about leaving a trail. There are still broken stems, trampled foliage and the occasional footprint to follow..

10 minutes past and the trail seems to swing towards the west.

Caio, stops suddenly. He had been leading with Tursal, when he puts his hand out to stop the tracker whose attention was focused of the ground.

He holds his other hand up and indicates for everybody to stop.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 17, 2006, 10:00:11 AM
James holds his pistol ready and scan continues to scan the area (including behind and above) for any other threats.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 17, 2006, 03:01:41 PM
Peering intently through the foliage ahead, Caio looks back and says..

"There is something up a head..something suspended in the trees...about 20 meters away...about 5 metres up..looks like a spacesuit or something...."

Edging forward slightly and following the directions given by Caio you all (eventually) spot what he was talking about.

Whatever it is seems to almost match its background perfectly...a slight wind starts to blow through the treetops and the figure sways momentarily...its hues shift and swirl slightly.

"Oh. Phototropic Armour. That you don't see every day...." he says with a smile. His face then turns to a frown.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on September 23, 2006, 09:03:17 AM
Dr. Keene also draws his gun, and crouches down. "So what now, is it dead?", he asks anxiously.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 23, 2006, 12:30:49 PM
Caio looks round... "Yes...at least I guess so..."

You all look around for a couple of minutes... and see nothing else.

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 23, 2006, 01:38:15 PM
"I guess one of you guys should climb up and get it down.  I'll cover you ..."

Suggests James.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 23, 2006, 02:29:41 PM
Looking around Caio gets a nodd from Suzanne, with James covering him Caio moves forward to investigate the tree the "suit" is snagged in..

Looking around, he says "...well the trail ends here..so..." he stops and sees something off in the undergrowth and bends down to retrieve it.

At this point... the "suit" shifts slightly. Strange, since there wasn't any breeze.

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 24, 2006, 12:54:23 PM
James is ready to fire, if necessary.

"Keep going buddy, I've gotcha..."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 24, 2006, 03:58:59 PM
(OOC: Yep... time for some more percentile die rolls in the OOC thread...(by tommorrow evening) about ten should suffice for the moment....if you don't post any then Ill assume that you trust me... ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 08, 2006, 12:10:00 PM
As Caio stands up and turns round he is holding what appears to be a weapon of sorts....

Dr Keene and Suzanne notice something fairly amorphous snaking its ways through the canopy towards him... the others, as yet have seen nothing.

Caio is about 10M away, and the Thing is above him up in the trees... 5M up.

(OOC: Actions Please, assume all others will start acting from the point when either Dr Keene or Suzanne warns them.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on October 08, 2006, 03:02:03 PM
Dr. Keene yells "Watch out, Caio! Above you!" And tries to shoot the amorphous thing, snaking its way down.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 19, 2006, 11:09:41 AM
OOC: Combat Actions in Blue Planet are funny things...the combat in broken up into rounds, each lasting a second..so...any actions are intended actions which you carry out once you make an initial initiative roll (which starts the ball rolling so to speak..) and each action thereafter suffers a "delay" factor dependant upon the characters speed attribute. Check the OOC Thread for the Combat post and also post intended actions (or changes to as yet unresolved actions) there.

********

Dr Keene sees the creature and appears to be somewhat taken aback whilst Suzzane immediately starts drawing her weapon.

Checking the trees carefully James then spots the creatures translucent greenish-brown tentacles slowly uncoil towards the still completely oblivious Caio.. who reaches down to pick up the object he had spotted earlier.

Everyone else is still unaware of the creature.

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on October 19, 2006, 01:13:26 PM
James rushes past Ciao with his gun blazing at the creature.

"Get out of the way!"

He yells, a small voice in his head cursing himself for his stupidity.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 19, 2006, 02:15:21 PM
James runs towards Caio firing twice up into the canopy...and doen't appear to hit anything. He almost reaches Caio. Caio drops what he had just picked up (looked a bit like a helmet) and looks up. There is a look of shock on his face when James comes running towards him firing, he tenses as if preparing to leap out the way.

Suzanne has drawn her pistol and starts preparing for a shot. A spark of recognition and concern shows on the natives face. Dr Keene seems like he is going to shout something...

Susan is still...and unsurprisingly, surprised
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on November 15, 2006, 09:02:20 AM
"Fall back guys", James yells.  Taking careful aim and firing at any tentacle moving towards him.

He notices that Susan is frozen with fear and says nothing, yet.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on November 16, 2006, 01:35:31 PM
Dr. Keene continues to shoot at the tentacle.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 18, 2006, 05:08:26 PM
(OOC: A slight retro post...to replace the lost post. Those intended actions posted above have yet to happen.... but I've taken a note of them ;) )

The greenish-brownish tentacle lashes at Caio catching around the midriff with a wet slapping sound, he appears unharmed but slightly inconvienced by it's grasp.

Susan still seems shocked by all the activity and has yet to react to anything....

(OOC: The actions posted above have been taken into account, but I want to give Chifo a chance to respond with his intended action...because the creature does have a hold on him...)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 18, 2006, 05:22:37 PM
James tries to body-check the grappled Caio at the same time as Caio tries to evade the creatures grasp..

Caio spins away from the grasping tentacle...almost exactly the same time as James blunders through the spot where Caio had been a fraction of a second before.

The native raises his rifle to his shoulder ready to shoot. Dr Keene finally gets out a warning shout and prepares to fire. This seems to have little effect, except Susan seems to snap out of her apparent paraylsis. She looks cluelessly in the direction of his pointed finger. Suzanne looks and sees exactly what all the shoutings about and also gets ready to shoot.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on November 25, 2006, 12:07:05 PM
Dr. Keene continues to fire
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 13, 2006, 08:21:46 PM
tick ... tick .. are we cursed?
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 13, 2006, 08:28:01 PM
The next few seconds pass in a blur...

the creature lashes out at the hapless GEO operative, whose previous successful attempt to escape causes him to become the centre of its attention. The first tentacle slaps him heavily around the chest, partially winding him whilst another visously whips out of the undergrowth wrenching him from the ground with a jarring violent motion.

James, standing close by, tries to get a bead on the creatures body concealed in the canopy above.

Tyrsal (the native) fires two shots in quick succession. The first rips through the leaf cover just above the creature. He manages to quickly compensate for the rifles heavy recoil and slamms the second shot into the amorphous mass that seems to form its body.

Both Dr Keene and Suzzanne also fire a fusilade of shots.... Dr Keene helps to defoliate part of the canopy, whilst Suzzanes shots hit the branch that the creature was apparently laid on, it shears off a few twigs and the branch then gives way with a loud crack.

The branch (and the attached creature) comes crashing down....landing on the now prone form of Caio and narrowly "dusting" James with several jagged twigs.

The Creature appears dead and isn't moving. Caio crawls from underneath it with some difficulty, but doesn't seemed to suffer any great injury apart from some bruises to the ego and a few scratches.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 13, 2006, 08:33:31 PM
James absently brushes a twig off his shoulder as he spins his pistol back into his holster.

"Hey, Ciao, nice of you to trip the ambush so our new friend here could shoot the tree-hugging0octopus-thingy."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 14, 2006, 12:07:53 AM
Caio gives James a black look, but doesn't say anything...

(OOC: Chifo!....where are you?)

Meanwhile, Susan looks a bit embarrassed... Suzanne comes over and looks at the thing on the ground.

(It weighs a little over three times the weight of a man, excluding tentacles, of which there are at least ten. It looks a little like a cross between a slug and an ambeoa, albeit a very large one....)

Suzanne puts three more rounds into it, before looking up. "So, what did you find?" She wanders over and looks up at the thing that orignally attracted Caios attention.

The "figure" had also fallen when the branch that the creature had been resting on was shoot away...

Moving a bit closer, it looks a bit like an armoured space suit, but with no helmet (the helmet that Caio picked up would perhaps have belonged to itt...). The material it was made of seems to be reacting quickly to its surroundings..and must still have a working power source.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on December 14, 2006, 10:11:01 PM
Dr. Keene carefully holsters his weapon, and then heads over to the apparently dead creature. He takes samples for later analysis. Is he able to identify the creature.
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 15, 2006, 08:23:43 AM
(OOC: Yes, Dr Keene, would be able to identify it, it is a creature called a "Hanging Joe". It is a quite dangerous creature...except when it successfully hit with a 01 followed by a damage roll of 94. An amophus creature it hunts somewhat like a jellyfish, except on land.)
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 22, 2006, 09:18:30 AM
Caio looks closer at the armour, then steps back slightly ashen faced.

"What's left of the wearer is still in there..." he says rather shakely.

Suzzanne moves forward, whilst Tysal prodds the now inert creature.

"Dr.Keene, could you...is there enough to identify them from DNA..?" says Suzzane.

Caio looks at the group, now obviously a bit worried about what he is going to say next.

"I recognise this..." he says tapping the suit with a toe "...it's a hard suit...used by GEO Shock Troopers."
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 23, 2006, 09:39:55 PM
James looks from Suzanne to Ciao and back again.

"I've been screwed.  Simple protection mission you said.  Its a bug-hunting-corporate-vs-cop-back-stabbing-f##k-up".

He fingers his weapon angrily.

"Well.  What's going on here?"
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 24, 2006, 10:09:56 AM
Caio shrugs. "Its a first, if you are right...we don't generally interfere...just police corperate activity. Such direct action seems unlikely to me, especially since I was chosen to accompany you...what I'm trying to ork out is why set up a base here anyway?"

(OOC: Waits for Mr Wolf to post...ahhmm  ;) )
Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on December 24, 2006, 10:37:12 PM
"That armor probably belonged to whoever came with the drop capsule.", Dr. Keene mutters under his breath.. while he is taking a DNA sample of the dead guy.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 27, 2006, 07:45:09 PM
James simmers down a bit but is still grumbling to himself while he has a look around of his own.

ooc;  where is this trail leading to?  On a straight line from the ship to the corpse, to ....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 28, 2006, 09:54:16 AM
(OOC: Think I just lost my last post somewhere...but this was the jist of it)

Caio looks up from the armour... "Well, unless the GEO are up to something, which I doubt, its normal for this type of thing to be linked neurally to the wear.. and the links appear to have been removed..." he points at several large areas just inside the neckline of the armour.

"this would register things like heartrate, body temperture, location etc, the suit would able to compensate... very much like a spacesuit... whoever was wearing it wouldn't have had those benifits... I suspect that the pod contained the armour...but not the wearer. Remember, the pod didn't have any life support either."

Suzanne gives the armour a poke with a foot. "Well, it certainly didn't support the wearers life..." she says as Dr.Keene takes a sample.

She looks up at James.. "Well, we now know what caused the damage to the base..but not who...yet. Looks like this trail ends here." She looks towards the native "Looks like we'll need to head into town...and find out who this survivor is..."

(OOC: Mr Wolf. Please can I have two percentile rolls in the OOC Thread please?)

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on December 28, 2006, 10:22:55 AM
"Town.  An excellent idea.  I could do with a drink."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on December 31, 2006, 08:05:32 PM
"Yes I'm getting a bit tired of all this wilderness", Dr. Keene replies.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 04, 2007, 11:18:05 AM
"I'm quite happy to get out of here..." says Tyrsal.. "But I need to get these bits back to my boat...." he says hefting his back pack onto his shoulder
"...before the storm hits, it's not far a couple of miles over that way.. just need to secure it". He says pointing in the direction that the party originally approached the camp from. "It's too far to walk to get to the town...4-5 hours...but should be able to make it back to my boat..."

(OOC 1. The trail that the suit was discovered on wasn't the same one that lead to the Pod.. though both were in a northerly direction. They parrelled each other about a  mile apart.)

(OOC 2. Dr Keene, having taken a sample from the suit successfully uses the equipment to process the information and then may use it to cross-reference it against a database...however in order to do so an Uplink is required...or at least some reference material.)

"Ah.." says Suzzanne. "I think we'll be needing to head back that way... anything else you need Dr.Keene? as we need to get moving...now."

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on January 07, 2007, 11:34:15 PM
"Uh.. no.. I think I'm done." Dr. Keene replies as he packs up his things, and follows the rest.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 10, 2007, 11:13:39 AM
Heading back down the path to the camp the party do not meet with any further unfriendly (or hungry) fauna (or flora). Though everybody is still a little on edge. Tursal and Caio take the lead. It takes a few minutes to get back to the camp.

When you get there, nothing much has changed.. though looking up through the canopy, what you can see of the sky appears to be darkening...

 
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 12, 2007, 10:11:05 AM
When you get back to the camp, the players remember three things...

One. that you had forgotten to re-set the proximity alarm, either that or that it has malfunctioned and didn't go off. (The Jamming field around the base had been jury-rigged as a proximity alarm...)

Two. He remembers that Suzzanne has a data spike with company information on it, those of the team members at the camp, including thier DNA profiles.

Three. Bruce, back at the jumpship....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 13, 2007, 04:41:32 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne mutters, "Damn.."

She then half-jogs to check the jamming field serving as the proximity alarm. She begins checking the interface relay while continuing to mutter to herself.  Her anxiety suddenly ends as her eyes briefly dull ever so slightly before returning to normal.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 13, 2007, 09:48:49 AM
Suzzannes panic attack seems to end...probably due to her mind being overcome by confusion...what she does know about electronics (which is very little) seems to have been completely forgotten.

(OOC: roll 99. A fumble. Welcome to the game Avidos !)

When Suzanne checks the device it doesn't appear to be working at all... which is strange since she sences tell her that it is...but not what it is doing.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 14, 2007, 10:02:31 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne's eyes dart briefly as she swallows slightly. Looking back to others, "Dr. Keene, you come look at this please."


((ooc: Thanks...my 1rst fumble in the game  ^_^ ))

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on January 14, 2007, 11:51:12 PM
James notices the strain in his employers voice and pulls his weapon out, looking around for yet another threat ...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 15, 2007, 05:59:58 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne tersely responds, "lower your weapon James but be alert. The proximity alarms are not active...but my senses tell they are."

Suzanne then looks over to the specialist, "Dr Keene...do you mind?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on January 15, 2007, 09:09:48 PM
James twirls his pistol around his finger as he leans in to the native. 

"I think she likes you and its making her edgy."

He murmurs as he nudges the young fellow.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on January 15, 2007, 09:19:17 PM
Dr Keene exits his thoughts, and comes back to reality. "What? Who? Oh." And then he takes a look at the panel to see what's up.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 15, 2007, 11:05:38 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gives a short nod as she takes a step back, "Thank you Doctor, it may be nothing but its best to be certain."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 16, 2007, 05:28:00 PM
Dr Keene kneels down to check the jamming/stealth field.. and quickly notices that his jury-rigging had caused the device to malfunction when the alarm went off last time... causing it to revert to its original purpose (i.e. it worked once...then failed). He gives it a quick check over after re-adjusting some stuff. He takes the time to add a remote control/transponder device which allows him to re-set the alarm at a distance and to signal his laptop should it go off again..

Tursal looks at James... "She likes me?...Really...?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 16, 2007, 11:23:52 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gives a slight smile, "Thank you Doctor, I guess it pays to have a specialist along. Do you suspect that anyone tampered with it?"

If Suzanne overheard the conversation between James and Tursal then she gives no indication that she did. Any unintended signals percieved by Tursal to being sent by Suzanne to him would be coicendental. Although Tural himself may not realize this and with the seed planted by the deviant James may in fact start them on a path of events.   
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 19, 2007, 04:55:43 PM
The doctor shrugs. The device looks just as you left it...

Susan speaks up "Perhaps the jury-rig didn't hold or it caused the field to re-set automatically to its normal settings..."

Tursal continues into the clearing... "so are we going back to my ship...or do you have other plans...once we are there I can secure my craft and we can all head back to the village to check out the other survivor..." he looks at the sky above and sniffs the air. "Storm feels close...perhaps a few hours three at the most.."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 19, 2007, 08:01:13 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gives a slight nod, " Very well, thank you again for checking it."

Suzanne gives another nod to Tursal, "No, I think we are done here for now Tursal.  Your suggestion is fine. We will make sure your craft is secure then check on the other survivor." She ends with a slight smile then turns to start walking in the direction of his craft.   
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 21, 2007, 01:33:02 PM
(OOC: I'm assuming that everyone is content to move along...)

Dr.Keene packs up his stuff and tests the remote, this time Suzzanne clearly sences that something has changed with the proximity field..

(OOC2. The "Jamming" field was still working when you arrived but the jury-rigged proximity alarm wasn't..)

Susan asks whether she can recover some of her possessions from the base and does so, returning after a few minutes with a tatty backpack. Sensing that she is still under suspicion she hands it to James to search.

(OOC3. survival stuff mostly..some personal items, no weapons, she is still unarmed.)

You are then led to the North-east through the jungle. Tursal proves to be an excellent guide and you arrive at the coast after about an hours travel.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 22, 2007, 05:01:21 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne takes a drink from her water bottle as she looks about the new area. "not a bad little hike Tursal. How far is it to the village?"  With the last she recaps the water bottle before stowing it away.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on January 27, 2007, 02:20:11 PM
James continued with his matchmaking on and off throughout the journey to the coast. 

"Where's this boat, then?"

He asks.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 27, 2007, 03:24:52 PM
Now that you are clear of the damping field, you can check your GPS on your body comps (those who have got them..). Tursal has led you to a small cove perhaps 2 KM north of the delta where your jumpship (and Bruce) landed.

The cove is quite sheltered with some light mangrove to the Northern side and a more sturdy rocky shoreline forming the southern part of the cove.

Moored a small distance from the shore is a catamaran, it looked fairly basic, somewhat tatty but you suspect tougher than it looks.

"I'll just swim across, bring it closer to shore, then beach it and land anchor it..." says Tursal turning to go...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 28, 2007, 12:36:23 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne smiles wryly as she slightly shakes her head. She turns to the others, "I wonder what lit a fire under him. He sure has been a lot more eager to help lately."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 28, 2007, 10:30:07 AM
Caio watches the native swim across to his boat, then turns to Suzzanne..

"Wouldn't you be, if you knew your home was in danger... I think that boat is his home. I spent most my life on Earth with my parents, they lived on a boat too..." he says turning to watch the sky.

The skies are still blue...but the air feels, well, charged...

Tursal clambers aboard, hauls anchor then guides the craft toward the beachy part of the cove.

Within 10 minutes he has beached the craft and with some help from Caio secured it, appling land anchors, battening down hatches and taking down the mast. It looks very secure and professionally done.

Tursal then says.. "Thank You."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on January 28, 2007, 09:40:51 PM
James grins at his boss's comments. 

He remarks in an aside for her ears only.

"Now, if you only showed as much affection to me and the other guys - you wouldn't get nearly as much trouble!"

His smile fades as he adds.

"Make sure you keep him under control at the settlement.  I would hate for things to get out of hand."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on January 31, 2007, 03:33:17 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne slowly shakes her head in disbelief as she glances back to Caio, "I've never been one to complain about good fortune Caio. I really don't care what his motivations are if it helps us get our mission completed so we can get out of here. I was just...you know..wondering...out loud."

Suzanne gives a slightly upturned smile, "Why James, do I detect a hint of jealously from within that stone wall of yours? " She gives him a slight tapping on the back in a mock 'poor baby' as she completes her tounge-in-cheek comment.

Her face also takes a quick turn to seriousness as he speaks his last. She takes a quick glance out to Tursal then back eye-to-eye with James. She nods an affirmative.



Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on February 06, 2007, 07:20:25 AM
Now that there is clear sky Dr Keene tries to connect to the satellites, to see if he can find a match for the DNA of the guy in the suit.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 06, 2007, 11:05:20 PM
"Errrm.  Shouldn't we crack on before we get caought out in the rain?"

James asks.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 07, 2007, 04:13:41 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne nods, "I think your reasoning is solid Doctor but I believe James has the right of it. I would like to process the DNA as well but if we press on now with the light then perhaps we can get off this rock that much sooner. Do you agree Doctor."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 07, 2007, 10:23:03 AM
The trip back to the jumpship takes about 10 minutes, during which time there is a very little change in the weather. However, there is an air of expectancy and very few life forms are seen on the way.

The native Tursal points out something on the way, which would have been easy to miss... some of the trees appear to have got smaller.

"They can detect storms...up to a day away..." he points at the base of the plant.. the surface roots are dense and bloated.

"...the roots expand and the leaves retract...if you were to cut it open you would find that the sap has flooded the base roots. It makes them very stable." he looks at the party. ".....though even then they can still be blown away.."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 09, 2007, 04:04:50 PM
When you get back to the jumpship, you see into the cockpit and see the boots of the pilot, Bruce, rested upon the dashboard. As you approach, he starts suddenly and you can see that he snatches up a shotgun. Seeing you all approach, he relaxes somewhat.

He notices the two new party members and opens the side door to the pasenger compartment and jumps out.

"G'day strewth thought yer wernt cummin back!..." he says to the party in general.

"Who are these two drongos..." he says smiling and motioning to Susan and Tursal with the shotgun.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 09, 2007, 08:42:46 PM
"Shall we get inside before the introductions?"

Asks James.  He has apeared somewhat in a hurry to get back to the ship since he saw the trees hunkering down for the storm!
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 10, 2007, 03:34:34 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne's eyes do a quick dart from Bruce to James then back to Bruce, "James is right, come now, lets all board then we can discuss things. Let's just say that there are things that just can't be explained quickly."

ooc: Susan and Tursal joined before I did so I could either have Suzanne make something up or someone else can relay the info or it can be assumed that Bruce is told the story.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 10, 2007, 10:40:15 AM
Bruces eyes raise slightly as he is told the events of the previous night and the following morning...he looks around and sees the minor wounds that have been suffered and relaxes somewhat.

The seawater "cracker" has been working since you departed yesterday afternoon, and the jumpcraft is now fully fuelled again.

With the additional passengers the interior of the jumpcraft is getting rather cramped.

(OOC: The last time that the party contacted Bruce was via Dr.Keenes remote, the previous evening when they arrrived at the base. The jumpship is designed to carry eight people including the pilot but a significant portion of the available passenger compartment was used allowing additional fuel tanks to be added to extend its range..however it's just cramped not impossible.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 10, 2007, 10:17:11 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne, with a slight bit of concern in her voice, "From what Tursal has told us I believe there is a serious storm heading our way by tomorrow. This tightens our timetable up as I am not sure how bad the storms are on this planet." 
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 11, 2007, 02:55:33 PM
"Strewth, Well from what I've heard... ye don't want to be near one when one hits...4-5 times more powerful than the ones on earth....least thats what I heard.." says Bruce.

"The fuels loaded, but its a bit of a squeeze to get all this back on board..." he continues indicating the equipment.

(OOC: Packing the equipment would take 10 minutes and mean the people in the rear are quite cramped...making it a little more risky should it crash or and engine fail... but its essential to get back to Kingston, which is over 1000 miles away.. taking the extra time allows Dr.Keene to carry out the tests.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 11, 2007, 05:44:46 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne nods, "Well noted Bruce but we'll just have to manage a tighter fit. Leaving the equipment behind is not an option." 

Suzanne glances back over to the Doctor, "Dr.Keene, do you think you can run those tests now?"

Suzanne finally looks back over to James, "James, don't wander off but can you take a watch to make sure nothing unwanted pops up?"

Suzanne then retrieves a piece of equipment that she can lift by herself or with help, "The rest of us will get this equipment loaded."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 11, 2007, 09:36:20 PM
"Aye aye captain!" 

He mutters sardonically.

His mood improves when he realises that he won't have to haul the kit back into the ship.

James finds a vantage point to cover the group whilst not leaving himself vulnerable.  He activates his stealth field and waits.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 12, 2007, 06:17:47 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne lends one of her crooked smiles after the comment from James. She gives a slight shake of her head then returns to helping load the equipment.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on February 16, 2007, 10:02:04 AM
"I'm just about to..." Dr. Keene replies to Susanne. And then he goes to his desk (or where he usually works) and completes the DNA analysis.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on February 16, 2007, 09:20:38 PM
After about 15 minutes of working with his laptop a frustrated Dr. Keene gives up, and almost slams the lid of the laptop shut. "Stupid ...." He grumbles...
"Sorry Suzanne, the uplink is broken again. I guess I have to take my laptop to the techsupport once we get back. I can retry when we return from the town.", Dr. Keene apologizes to Suzanne. "So, are we ready to go?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 16, 2007, 09:44:45 PM
"Sheeesh!  It's a good job that I do my job better than he does his."

Says James in a voice that may not have been meant to carry.  He quickdraws, spins and re-holsters his weapon in one fluid movement.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 16, 2007, 10:13:59 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne rubs her temples then takes a deep breath, "we really need those results Dr Keene. It is noted that there has been some technical difficulties but upper management will demand accountibilty. I am sure that I don't have to spell out what that means do I Doctor." 

Suzanne speaks in a low voice and perhaps more to herself than anyone else. "James, that is not helping us resolve this.  We are all a bit cranky but we are just going to have to overcome external stressors so that we can remained focused."

Once everything is loaded, Suzanne will wave James back to the ship then turn to the pilot, "Let's go...I want this finished before this storm hits."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 16, 2007, 10:19:58 PM
"Upper Management."

Echoes James.

"Want me to help focus his mind on the job?"

He asks drily, his large weapon suddenly back in his hand.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 16, 2007, 10:34:53 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne bites her lip in an attempt to keep a straight face but the comment manages to break her stone wall and she has a quick laugh. 

She lightly pats James on the chest, "thank you I needed that."  She then takes her seat and readies herself for departure.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 16, 2007, 11:11:46 PM
James looks from face to face trying to figure out what 'joke' his boss is talking about.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 17, 2007, 12:57:53 AM
(OOC:The Doctors efforts are not completely in vain, he simply can try again a bit later....)

The refuelling completed and the equipment stowed the crew are finally able to strap in, almost securely, when Bruce gently lifts the jumpship off the ground.

"Hey...where are we going?" he says slowly rotating the jumpcraft about 10M from the ground (Just below the tree-line). Just below the craft the mud ripples with the thrust of the jets.

"That way...if you want to get to the village, about a 10 minute journey...for this thing" says Tursal pointing, more or less directly towards where you have just come from.

He looks slightly uncomfortable.

(OOC: No one said where they wanted to sit...so apart from Bruce..who is flying...it's first post gets the seats. I'm assuming both Susan and Tursal are in the rear seats. That leaves 2 in the front and 2 in the back  :mellow:)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on February 17, 2007, 09:15:19 AM
Dr. Keene Sits in the back trying to get his laptop to co-operate.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 17, 2007, 07:47:10 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne takes a seat in the front. "I never thought I'd be missing GJ's but what I wouldn't do to be finished up here and back there for a night out."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 17, 2007, 08:59:45 PM
Bruce increases the thrust and the jumpship rises above tree level...

"I've got two ways to do this...slow or fast...flying over jungle both are dangerous...but fast tends to be messier if I balls it up ..what do you want boss?" says Bruce to Suzanne.

(OOC: Jumpships are reasonably stable flyers when over a predicatable fairly solid surface, like water, mud flats, level ground over foliage the downforce gets uneven...if the jumpship moves faster it avoids the little "dips" and is relatively easy to compensate but gives less time to compensate for the really big "dips"...going slower is safer but tends to be a bumpier ride..)

Dr Keene starts the diagonostic running on his laptop...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 17, 2007, 09:28:41 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne takes a quick glance back to see Dr Keene attempting his next attempt then turns back to Bruce, "Let's take it fast Bruce, I would rather take my chances that have the Doctor screw this up again."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 18, 2007, 09:50:11 AM
Bruce smiles then powers the craft easily over the first treetops. The nose of the jumpship dipping slightly as the lifters force it forward. Leaves, branches and debris being forced aside and flattened by the downforce.

Minutes later the craft comes across a sudden clearing and Bruce compensates easily for the sudden lack of lift... the engines power surges momentarily and the craft continues upon its way.

Meanwhile, the doctors laptop merrily continues it's analysis from the available data.

Soon, in the distance, the far side of the island can be seen. Huddled against the islands southern shoreline is a small village, perhaps 20-30 buildings at most. There is a variety of styles... most look rather ramshackle but surprisingly robust.

Bruce clears the jungle and the nose of the jumpship dips alarmingly as he heads seawards before skidding it sideways to approach what appears to be the only place with enough space to land..the sea.

The jumpship alights rather more heavily than perhaps Bruce intended, a bead of sweat, un-noticed by the others appears on his forehead.

The Jumpship slowly manuvers into the wharf area, where a number of fisherman seem to be "batoning down the hatches" on a variety of small watercraft.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 19, 2007, 04:38:56 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne checks her weapon to make sure it has a full clip with one in the chamber before reholstering. She glances back to the others, “Doctor Keene, have you managed to correctly complete the tests?  We need that data.  Now, whether these pub rats like corporate personnel or not they have Anasi property.  Tursal, no offense luv but if you try and screw us over on this then James is going to place a round in your brain. I don’t mean anything personal, it’s just business. I hope you understand.”

She turns to Bruce, “Good flight.  I request that you keep this ship ready to depart at a moment’s notice.  As soon as we complete this mission I want to get the hell off this backwater planet.”
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 19, 2007, 11:52:50 AM
James leaves a round chambered as he reloads his big gun with flechette rounds.

He smiles at the young native.

"She really does like you!"

He grins amiably.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 19, 2007, 03:51:48 PM
Tursal looks back at those addressing him... and appears slightly worried.

"Was only telling the truth...I heard that someone had been found and brought back...who it was and where exactly they are, I'm afraid I don't really know much more than that. There's a trading post and a bar over there, probably the best places to look..."...

Bruce nodds to Suzanne...I'll make sure we'll have an easy out". He then guides the Jumpship towards the pier.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 19, 2007, 07:09:33 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne displays a crooked smile as she glances back to Tursal, " then I guess you have nothing to worry about."  She makes a rapid eye-contact glance to James before leaving her chair to exit the craft.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 19, 2007, 08:12:23 PM
James reholsters his loaded gun and takes the rearmost position in the group.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 19, 2007, 09:53:55 PM
Bruce swings the jumpship around just before it gets to the pier. It gently bumps sideways on to the side of the pier at about the same time as Dr.Keenes min-comp goes "beep".

Hurrying around on the dock are several fisherman types, apparently securing their boats and tranferring the catche/cargo into large building close by on the watersedge. None appears to take any interest in you, least nothing suspicous, they seem too busy.

However, with the exception of a couple of small hydrofoils, nothing is even remotely modern here. And even the hydrofoils appear to have seen better days.

The harbour is nestled in a fairly sheltered bay... it backs directly on to the jungle which slopes up and away from the seafront.

Out of the water bobbs a head. It belongs to a Dolphin.

"Geeting new-comers...two Penrith harbour welcommonen. Assk I can, business here ist wot?" says the Dolphin in Intraspec. (Which you all can understand to a degree)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 19, 2007, 10:48:40 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne responds, "Our business is ours.  Is there anything else?"

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 20, 2007, 09:49:49 AM
The dolphins head turns slightly to one side...

"Business mine it is...dock your craft our harbour you do. Harbourmaster am I"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 20, 2007, 03:50:30 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne's face tenses then relaxes into a pleasant expressiveness "We are here for a business transaction. The exact nature of this, as well as any others, is unknoiwn. We will be spending money in your town thereby strengthening your economy."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 20, 2007, 04:07:06 PM
James shakes his head in disbelief. 

"Nosey little fish, aren't they?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 20, 2007, 05:14:54 PM
The dolphins expression is quite hard to read...but it obviously heard James comment. The dolphin blinks once, then turns it's attention back to Suzzanne

"Business in village you have...." there is a pause.. "Understand do you, hurricance that soon to hit?"

"Pleased to be paying 200 credts you will docking for..over there"  it says indicating a solid looking building on the far side of the pier.

As you turn to look you notice a wierdly painted drone (disk shaped, about 2 ft wide) hovering just above some nearby crates.  It has two s.m.g's slung underneath it. They are pointing directly at James.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 20, 2007, 05:27:11 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne smiles even friendlier, "Two hundred is a bit steep and will lessen the amount that we can spend in your town. Surely you can see the benefits of the money being spent with local merchants. Could you possible lower if not wave the docking fee?"*



*fast talk/pesuade/diplomacy
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 20, 2007, 08:50:13 PM
James smiles sweetly too.

"...and robots with machine guns.  Cool! "

He keeps his hands clear of his weapon.

"Nice town."

He asides to Tursal.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 23, 2007, 04:39:32 PM
After some negotiation... the Dolphin Harbourmaster...says....

"200. That's the fee...unless of course you want to moor offshore...that's only 50." he looks very calm and it's quite difficult to gauage his mood now."

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 24, 2007, 05:39:12 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne's smile ends abruptly but her face remains civil, "Very well..." She takes a second to glance about to the others then makes her way over to the solid looking building on the far side of the pier.

Suzanne counts an even 200 credits, "I need a reciept for my expense voucher."




Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 24, 2007, 03:11:36 PM
The building turns out to be the harbour-masters office. It is a building that has a submerged entrance for the ceteans (dolphins, orcas and pilot whales) that may visit, these things are relatively common on Posedion, especialy along the shoreline.

However, it isn't a dolphin that greets you as you enter but a pretty tanned teenage girl in t-shirt and shorts. She has a baseball cap on, but nothing to indicate she is anything other than a visitor herself. She is sitting behind the desk as you enter. She greets you with a smile as you enter.

"Hello, you want to pay for docking the Jumpship...that will be 200 credits...." she pushes a small teminal forward across the desk towards you.

(Ooc: Payment of this kind is the norm, loose cash isn't popular.. and Suzzanne doesn't have enough of the correct company scrip to pay this way even if they would accept it. Payment involves either using a portable credit chip or up-link, Suzzanne has two kinds of credit chip. The credit chip is a form of portable payment. Security is variable, the chip can be coded to a specific user, in which case it can only be used with a retinal scan, or open where whoever has it can use it..the closest thing to cash, but more convienent, Suzanne has both.)

"If you want a reciept I'll need to take an i.d. scan then with the payment, please."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 24, 2007, 04:28:19 PM
"Finally!"

Sighs James.  A bit more quietly after the fish fiasco.

"This is the kind of local fauna that we can appreciate."

He glances around and lowers his voice once again so probably only Tursal can hear.

"Not the doc's type obviously..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 25, 2007, 05:06:04 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gives an affirmative nod,"Very well, an ID scan it is then for I will need a reciept."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 25, 2007, 10:51:13 AM
The i.d. scan confirms, and the machine issues a reciept.

(ooc. Dolphins are mammels....in game they take great offence at being called fish.... also the payment method precludes the necessity for a paper reciept since it works in the same manner as a debit/credit card. Dispite this, hard copies can still be issued...and it does strike you as a little surprising to find that they can handle Electronic Funds Transfers at such a backwater harbour.)

You head back to the jumpship, which has now been moored.

The preparations for securing the harbour are well underway, loose crates and equipment being stowed etc.

The sky however appears unchanged, though the air appears a little heavier and the wind is slightly more prevalent than it was when you first arrived on this island.

The wind is coming from the west.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 25, 2007, 07:58:31 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gathers the crew about for one last briefing before heading into town, "Right, we know what we are here for don't we... We need to sort out the whereabouts of Harry or the very least any equipment we can positively identify as belonging to Anasi. Secondly, Doctor have you the results of the goo we found in the space suit? If we have dirty cops then we need to know about it. I realize this is not the simple mission that my intial briefing detailed. But I have no intention of this being the final chapter of my career. Now lets keep sharp people."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 26, 2007, 10:04:28 AM
"Aye aye Ma'am"

James mock-salutes. 

He looks a littke disapointed at being dragged away from the pretty girl.  He throws he a wink as he leaves.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 26, 2007, 07:35:35 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne responds with a dry tone, "Okay James, have your laugh...I may very well deserve that but I just wanted to be very sure we've sorted this before it's too late. Now, Doctor...could you answer my question please?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 26, 2007, 09:16:51 PM
"You point: I shoot, Boss."

James concurs with his employer.  Looking at each and everyone of the group.

"This job is waaaaay more than I signed up for but I'm good for my end.  We'll talk about bonuses when we return to civilisation....."

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 28, 2007, 05:07:12 PM
The activity on the quayside continues un-abated. Tursal is the next to speak..and he does so quietly...

"I heard them talking about the peron found...in a bar, one of the backstreet ones...over there.." he says pointing down a rather narrow sidestreet leading off the seafront..."whoever they found well they were male and I heard Anasi mentioned at the time the two people said they'd need a doctor...seemed to remember they were talking to the barman, but didn't hear much after that."

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on February 28, 2007, 06:24:27 PM
Dr. Keene has been trying to figure out about the previous finds and especially about the mission that this group was supposed to perform. He has a nagging sence that they have overlooked something.

"Ah," he snaps out of his thoughts. "The goo was Harry".
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 28, 2007, 09:23:38 PM
Susan, the stress obviously getting to her, bursts out crying..

"Oh No...not Harry too!!" *sob*
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on February 28, 2007, 09:26:22 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne shakes her head, "Poor Harry, what a terrible way to prove your innocence. But it does raise the question of why he was wearing that GEO suit doesn't it.  Right, this leaves Tom Fenriss as our only lead whether he be victim or culprit. It seems our trail leads straight to this bar. What say we all go for a drink and let Tursal have a look about to see if he can spot anyone familiar. ".
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on February 28, 2007, 09:48:45 PM
"Since you'll be buying, I'll have an old Ireland single malt."

James pauses and waits for his boss to call the play.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 01, 2007, 05:06:42 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne flashes her baby blues with a quick smile, "so real men drink whiskey is that it then?"  Quickly making eye contact with the others, "No need to state the obvious so I'll just remind you all to remain on alert but don't look for trouble. If we want a fight then there is one around every corner here. If we fudge this up then it cost Tom his life."

Suzanne then starts making her way to the bar that Tursal directs her to being the one.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 01, 2007, 09:36:41 AM
You all make your way through the narrow alleyway that leads to the bar indicated by Tursal.

It isn't the best or biggest bar you've ever seen.

The sign above the door seems to say it all...."The Dive"

Heading in you enter a fairly large, well built buidling, the majority of which appears to be a large open plan room with a bar running the length of the far wall. There is a pool (currently unoccupied) on the left hand side of the room presumably for use by cetetaens (presumably there is also a tunnel or such like to the ocean from here..but unless you enter you wouldn't know).

There is a set of small-low tables surrounding the pool and the bars toilets are to the immediate left of these. There are about 5 empty tables set about the middle of the bar area..6 barstools set by the bar (two of which are occupied by a couple of men sat together). The far right of the room contains a bank of some 4 gaming/gambling consoles. There is a smallish man playing one of these. By these machines there are two doors. The first, nearest the bar, has "Private - Staff Only" the other one is unmarked but ajar.

The bar is a fairly long bar (80ft at least), and appears well-stocked.

It is quiet when you enter, the barman looks up and sees you enter.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 01, 2007, 07:45:17 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne glances over to Tursal to see if the native registers any recognition to the bar patrons present. Her body language intially suggests her discomfort in this alien enviroment but soon this diminishes into a boardroom demeanor.  She approaches the bar, "I like to order up a round of drinks for my friends here." Suzanne contines to prattle off the various drink requests from the little esemble then adds, "there might be a good tip in it for you if you can help me find a lost friend." *


**- fast talk/persuade./diplomacy/negotiation
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 01, 2007, 10:33:27 PM
James answers his employer's attempt at oneupmanship with a sardonic grimace halfway between a smile and a sneer.

He follows the party into the bar and positions himself to keep an eye on as much as possible.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 02, 2007, 12:47:58 PM
Dr. Keene remains silent and accepts his wine. He then heads over to the gambling machines and peeks to see what is on the other side of the door that is ajar. To the man he says "Any luck?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 03, 2007, 12:31:15 PM
Tursal looks around as you enter and then turns to Suzanne and shakes his head slowly.

As you make your way over to the bar, the barman smiles briefly and one of the two seated at the bar turns and briefly glances in Suzannes direction before returing to his conversation with the other seated person.

Suzanne also notices the barmans hand start to drop below the bar as she approaches with the rest, but he appears to hesitiate briefly.

"Hello. What's your poison?"..he asks.

You give your drinks orders and are served your drinks. Dr Keenes drink order does produce a raised eybrow and a slight chuckle though the only person who notices is Suzzane who then talks to the barman.

He looks at her with a warm smile... "That's always nice to know" he says with a conspiritorial wink. "This friend..? Who would they be?"

Meanwhile Dr Keene heads over to the gaming machines on the right of the room. When he gets there, the doctor notices that the man is "jacked up" and is concentrating upon his game, he doesn't appear to have heard you.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 03, 2007, 02:46:32 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne answers the barman in 'the voice' universally used by women to men when they want a favor, " My friend goes by the name Tom Fenriss, he may have been hurt when he passed through here."

  She punches up an extra 50 credits above the cost of the drinks she ordered as she asks the question. 
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 03, 2007, 05:14:56 PM
"Tom Fenris?...Can't say that I've heard the name..you said he came here...and was injured?" says the Barman rubbing his chin.

One of the other men sat at the bar raise his head... "could be the bloke that the Cravis brothers bought back...bout a week back..." he says turning to face Suzanne...and pushing his empty glass in Suzanne direction.

Meanwhile at the other side of the bar...

Dr Keene's presence is finally noted as he curses loudly...he unplugs from the machine and turns towards Dr Keene and seems mildly surprised..

"Yes...what?" he says in the manner of someone who has just failed to get a highscore by a single point.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 03, 2007, 07:26:39 PM
James momentarily weighs up whether to leave the scientist to get whacked.  He quickly puts his personal motives to one side as he moves to interrupt.

"Hey Doc!"

He says, 'locking' his hand as it swings behind his body.  He is gesturing with his empty whiskey glass to cover this action as he moves so he can step between them if necessary.

"Let's leave this fine gentleman to his game..."

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 03, 2007, 09:47:38 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gives a friendly smile to the new speaker as she motions the Barman to fill the man's drink, "Yes, that time frame seems about right.  What can you tell me...do you know where they took him or where I can find these Cravis brothers?" **

**- fast talk/persuade./diplomacy/negotiation
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 03, 2007, 11:36:01 PM
"Just looking, never mind me."  Dr. Keene casually walks away and peeks in through the open door. And then heads back to the others at the bar.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 07, 2007, 02:34:21 PM
The disturbed gamer sees James approach and grumpily leaves the machine. By his manner he didn't look in a mood for fight just a bit down on his luck.

Dr Keene sees little through the door that is ajar, except that it looks like a private room...however the door isn't wide enough for a better look.

At the bar, Suzzanne asks for a refill for the customer... he seems quite happy to get a drink and indicates that his friend might want one too.

The barman pours the drinks and returns to cleaning some glasses, he is close enough to hear...but doesn't appear to be making the effort.

"Well, the Cravis brothers don't live that far from here, couple of streets over. They are hunters, don't know if they'll be home.....anyway think they got the doc to take a look at the injured man."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 07, 2007, 03:51:11 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne turns up her feminine wiles as she moves a little closer to the speaker, "could you point out their house for me? Perhaps they left a note..." **

**persuade/negotiation

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 07, 2007, 04:47:45 PM
James contintues to keep an eye and ear on the group whilst pretending to check out the machine.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 08, 2007, 07:53:33 PM
Dr. Keene looses interest in the back room, and returns to the bar. And listens while Suzanne works her charm on the patrons.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 10, 2007, 09:55:09 AM
Suzanne's manner seems to have won over the man at the bar.. he seems quite keen to point out where they may have gone..and starts to get up.

His drinking partner puts a hand on his shoulder..."Best you finish your drinks first..." he says laughing.

The man sits down and finishes his drinks... "The doctor lives up at the rear of the commercial district..." At this the mans drinking partner snorts into his drink, and laughs again... "Is that what we are calling it now...the commercial district...four shops and a couple of lock-ups!".

The man, slightly embarrassed, continues..."The doctor rents third building along..the Cravis brothers have a lock-up close by I'm not sure which one, though they live above MacKormack store. That should be easy enough to find, it's got a big enough sign."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 10, 2007, 07:51:07 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne smiles, "Thanks boys, if this pans out I may drop in again for a chat."

Suzanne makes eye contact with the others in her party indicating it was time to leave. She then uses her newfound information to navigate her way to the MacKormack store.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 10, 2007, 08:33:30 PM
James follows the party out into the street, slightly miffed that there was no need for his 'talents' in the bar.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 11, 2007, 09:46:25 AM
The town is fairly small, probably only about 40 or so buildings, so finding the building was fairly easy. The town seems to have been set out with three streets running parrell to the shore, each progressively further up the gentle slope that leads up to the jungle. It is in the first "street" that you find the McKormack store.

It is a fairly well-built stone/brick two storey detached building with its frontage facing away from the sea. The street is quiet, fairly clean but rather claustrophobic. There are alleyways leading down both sides of the building back to the sea front.

The shop itself has a sign, neon, though either it doesn't work or it simply hasn't been switched on...it looks like some sort of general hardware store or pawn shop. However, it appears closed, with shutters being drawn down across the windows and door.

On the right-hand side of the buildings frontage, is a plain door. It is not numbered, and it is clear that it not as well-maintained as the shop doors (there is no shutter).
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 11, 2007, 07:21:06 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne paces a bit as she nods her head,"Right..well we know what we have to do don't we."  She gives the door a good knock.  If there is no response she turns to James, "I'll just have a look the other way then...if the door is somehow open when I turn back then so much the better."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 12, 2007, 12:11:30 AM
A few moments pass and the door is opened a crack...

"Yes...what do you want?" can be heard from the other side of the door.

(OOC: The voice is male...quite rough...possibly mid-thirties)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 12, 2007, 04:07:47 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne responds back, "Excuse me, might we have a chat? I'm looking for friend you might have seen recently..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 12, 2007, 08:21:59 AM
"I'm sorry...but who are you?" says the voice.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 12, 2007, 03:46:43 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne replies, "I am Suzanne Wrightsmith, I'll show you my credentials if you open the door."

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 12, 2007, 08:09:10 PM
"Thats nice...so, who do you represent?" says the voice once more.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 12, 2007, 08:21:08 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne pretends to bang her head silently against the door frame before calmly responding, "Why ANSI of course..."






Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 12, 2007, 09:59:10 PM
James is stationed on the same side of the alley from the door but a good 3 metres away.  His (real) hand is on the butt of his pistol and he is checking out the surroundings to the sides and above the group.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 13, 2007, 11:31:08 PM
Dr. Keene is close to Suzanne, but on the other side of the door. He looks nervously about, and listens intently to the man, trying to hear if there are more people inside (OOC Awareness/Hearing)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 17, 2007, 10:30:41 AM
Caio, Bruce and Tursal also discretely look around...

Whoeever it is behind the door pause for a second... "Anasi?...really?...ohh"

Dr Keene and Suzanne don't notice anything strange or unusual...

Both Susan and Tursal ears seem to prick up slightly and Susan looks like she was going to say something...

The others look around the streets seem deserted... though when James looks up he sees the blinds in the windows above him twitch.

The voice says again..."No..umm..sorry, I wasn't expecting any deliveries from there..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 17, 2007, 10:36:45 AM
OOC: Suzzane can tell that the man is both nervous and either is lying or not telling the whole truth... ;)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 17, 2007, 11:51:07 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne tries to keep a friendly upbeat tone, "Come on luv, I'm just here for a chat. You aren't going to leave a girl standing out on the street are you..."*



Fast Talk/Negotiation


Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 17, 2007, 10:28:11 PM
James just tries to stal as loose as possible ready for any eventuality ....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 19, 2007, 12:29:21 AM
"Seems to me you've got plenty of company already..." he says opening the door a little wider (opens inwards) though the bulk of his body remains behind the door... and looks round at the assorted bunch.

He is in his mid-thirties (you suspect) though his face is weathered, by sun you think rather than the ravages of time. He could be younger.

He wears a loose fitting shirt over a string vest... and has baggy trousers held up by what appears to be a leather belt. He doesn't appear armed.

Directly behind him is a narrow staircase leading upwards.

"Fine, just you though..." he says to Suzanne.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 19, 2007, 02:29:46 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne smiles, "Now that's more like it..."

She glances back at the others but specifically to James with an expression that would seem to be conveying an unspoken message, "I'll just be going in alone then..."

Once inside, Suzanne keeps her eyes sharp as she tries to quickly identify her surroundings, anything that stands out as well as other exits.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 19, 2007, 06:01:21 PM
"I don't like it" Dr. Keene mumbles to James, and takes out his gun. "Do you think you can break that door down in a hurry if there is a need?" he asks further.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 20, 2007, 04:31:53 PM
As soon as Suzzanne enters, the door is shut behind her.. the man montions her to head up stairs..

(OOC#1. Those with communicators...i.e. ALL but Tursal and Susan...can still hear what Suzzane might say/hear and those close to her...if she decides to leave the channel to her earpice open...the earpeice is quite visable, similar to a "bluetooth")

(OOC#2. The door doesn't appear to be particuarly reinforced, though it's probably as strong as an average modern frount door...)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 20, 2007, 06:37:24 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne begins walking the stairs,"Say luv, can you at least tell a girl your name before taking her upstairs?"




ooc:  Suzanne will leave the earpiece channel on...force of habit if nothing else.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 20, 2007, 10:15:54 PM
"Well, I can always break the door down with your head, doc..."

Says James, relishing the prospect of a forced entry and gunplay ....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 20, 2007, 10:46:23 PM
"Caio's head is a lot better, it's solid bone", Dr. Keene quips.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 22, 2007, 08:23:11 AM
"Thomas.." says the man walking slowly behind you up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs there is a small landing..directly ahead can be seen a small window, set fairly high up in the wall. It provides barely enough light to illuminate the shadowy staircase. Immediately, on the right there is an open doorway.

"So.. Anasi..ehh?..." he says indicating that Suzzanne go through the door.

Through the door can be seen a fairly large room, perhaps 20ft square, with windows on the left wall, two doors directly ahead and two doors to the right.

Of the doors, two are open, both to the right, the nearest one being occupied with another man, roughly the same age as the first. He wears a pistol, but is not wielding it.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 22, 2007, 08:43:50 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne enters the room but positions herself to keep both men within sight even if only periphially, "Yes, Anasi...paygrade 72. " After a brief pause, "Right Thomas, you going to introduce me to your mate?"

 Suzanne then moves quickly into, "Well we could chat up pleasantries all day but lets cut to the chase.  I am looking for an employee of anasi and sources say you may be the ones who lent him a hand. Is this true?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 22, 2007, 09:08:04 PM
"Hey Ciao, stand here so that the doc and I can hold an arm each ..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on March 22, 2007, 11:43:55 PM
Dr Keene can't help himself and lets out a chuckle. This guy is a regular comedian, he thinks
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 29, 2007, 10:55:25 AM
Caio raises a laugh... "Hummm..after seeing your previous efforts with a lock, it's no wonder you want my help now..." he says will a grin.

Meanwhile upstairs...

"My names Yustaf..." he says preoffering a hand. "So.. he's one of yours..is he? Found him badly injured out in a camp in the jungle, thought he might be worth something to someone, we certainly couldn't of afforded the treatment he needed ourselves, but thought that he looked a corporation type, you know, soft." he says with a slight grin.

"Anyway patched him up, brought him back here, called the doctor, then the local Incorporate settlement we knew of...."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on March 29, 2007, 01:06:46 PM
"Hey."

Complains James.

"I do the wisecracks.  You just keep on making up the numbers."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on March 29, 2007, 10:53:19 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne gives a quick nod and completes the handshake, "Well on behalf of the Company, I thank you for your care of our employee. We will of course compensate you for your efforts and supplies.  Is he is here then?"

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on April 01, 2007, 01:12:06 PM
Tursal

Looking and listening to James, Ciao, & Keene, Tursal simply gives a slight shake of head, slight rolling of the eyes, Tourists, he thinks, and continues to stay "aware" of the surroundings.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 01, 2007, 03:48:37 PM
The two men look at each other briefly...one shrugs (the latest to appear). "Fair enough...that will be 2,000 scrip...yes take him, he can walk and he's just through here..." he says indicating the front room that he had just emerged from...

With this a third man appears...bandaged heavily, somewhat bruised..
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 01, 2007, 06:55:49 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne issues the 2000 scrip to cover the bill for the care and safe return of the missing employee.  As the third man appears, she perks up "Tom Fenriss I presume... I am Suzanne Wrightsmith from ANASI and thus here to take you home. Do you need to retrieve anything before we leave?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 02, 2007, 07:49:39 AM
"Some kind of ID verification before handing over the cash might be in order. "

Suggests James.

He maintains his active scanning of the area and the group whilst conversing.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 02, 2007, 07:55:07 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne hears the familiar voice on the channel just before she responds to the men in the room, "Of course I will need to verify that this is indeed Tom Fenriss before I pay you. It will not take but a moment of your time. I'll just need a DNA sample from this gentleman."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 02, 2007, 08:05:42 AM
ooc:  Are we still being watched?

bic: 

"Get ready guys, if there's going to be a double cross ... it'll be now ..."

"Ciao and I will shoot the lock and hinges.  Keene and young Tursal here will barge the door, then get out of the way ..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 02, 2007, 08:07:56 AM
"Fair enough.." says the man.
"Ok...go ahead..." says the other.
The person presumed to be Tom Fenriss appears to slump slightly, although he's walking, it doesn't look like he is that mobile..

Even though the man presumed to be Tom Fenriss is heavily bandaged, he looks just like Tom Fenriss, his face isn't in anyway obscured.

(OOC: Suzzanne hasn't got the equipment to do a DNA test...Dr Keene has..)

(OOC2: There hasn't been any twitches at the window, whoever had been watching isn't now.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 02, 2007, 08:09:49 AM
BACK ON THE STREET.

Bruce looks around..."What about me?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 02, 2007, 03:47:29 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne fidgits a little and displays a smile, "Right, I will need to bring up our Doctor to run the DNA verification or help Tom down to the street."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 02, 2007, 04:06:58 PM
"Ok...you can let the Doctor up..." says one of the brothers (there is a resemblance..). "Just him though...I saw whose company you travel in and they all look armed.." he continues as he pats his own sidearm.

"Please sit down...I'll go down and let him in." he says indicating a shabby sofa.

The person yet to be identified as Tom...speaks "So...I'm Tom am I..." he slurs rather wearily leaning heavily against the door frame of the room that overlooks the front of the building. It is obvious, that he has been treated with a combination of stimulants and painkillers.

He wears company fatigues, they even have an Anasi badge on them. You can see however, that there are several scorch-marks on the clothes, and the largest is on his outer thigh of his left leg (this is heavily bandaged and some of it has been cut away.) He favours his right leg.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 02, 2007, 04:26:43 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne takes a quick survey of the 'flea infested' (or so she thinks) couch and smiles again, "I'll just stand if you please..."

Suzanne remains ever vigil as this transaction appears to be running smoother than she expected.

Suzanne takes in the appearance of the man professing to be Tom, "Right then...we will have a chance to chat during your debriefing...this is all formalities really."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on April 02, 2007, 10:48:57 PM
Dr. Keene puts away his gun and stands close to the door. Ready to enter. He tries to look casual but doesn't really succeed. "Bruce, I guess you can take my place in the possible barging", he comments dryly.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2007, 07:49:04 AM
The brother who spoke shrugs... and looks at the sofa "Fair enough, just thought you might be a bit more comfortable."

The man yet to be identified as Tom staggers over to the sofa and carefully sits down, there is an obvious wince of pain..."sorry, but I'll be sitting down thanks.."

The other brother heads downstairs and lets the Doctor in. When the door is opened, the doctor (but noone else) notices that the man has drawn his pistol.

(Assuming noone tries anything foolish...he puts it away again once the Doctor is in and the door is closed.)..."Sorry can't be to careful when dealing with strangers"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on April 03, 2007, 10:13:26 AM
When Dr Keene sees the gun he hesitates a moment before entering. "You are right about that" he replies to the man's comment on strangers. "I'm Dr. Michael Keene." He introduces himself while going up.

Assuming the man doesn't kill Dr. Keen on his way up he walk over to 'Tom' and says "open wide", and  takes a mouth swab. He then proceeds to compare the DNA to the one he has downloaded to his minicomp.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on April 03, 2007, 10:22:12 AM
ooc:  Foolish?  Do?  Moi?

James waits patiently.  Watching and listening.

"The boss'll be fine now that doc holliday has joined her..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2007, 12:28:15 PM
Dr Keene gets to join Suzanne in the lounge, sees the injured man at the sofa...and takes a swab for DNA. The test takes about 10 minutes.

"So...is it him, the man you are looking for?" asks the older of the two brothers.

(The Test confirms it... it is Tom Fenriss).

Meanwhile out in the Street....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 03, 2007, 07:22:28 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne stays out of the way as the Doctor extracts the sample then performs his test.

Once complete, Suzanne answers the speaker, "it seems that this man is indeed our man. I appreciate your patience during this process...I will just pull up your payment." 

Suzanne will then finish the transaction, "Can you help me get him down the stairs?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2007, 09:04:58 PM
The older brother checks the transaction...fairly quickly, and seems happy.

The other simply nodds at the request for help... "Fine to the bottom of the stairs yes.."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 04, 2007, 07:12:23 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne nods, "I thank you again then."   

Glancing toward Dr Keene, "Come Doctor... we have taken up far too much of these gentlemen's time."

As they are going down the stairs, "You two wouldn't happen to know who did this would you?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on April 04, 2007, 12:12:07 PM
Dr Keene helps Tom down the steep stair. "You can do it, Tom, Susan is waiting down on the street",  he encourages Tom.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 04, 2007, 01:57:00 PM
The older brother is the first to speak...

"No... we just came upon him...at the edge of a camp..base...out in the jungle..when we were hunting... just did the right thing and bought him back here...dangerous place the jungle, especially when you are wounded as bad as he was..."

Tom himself speaks, wincing with pain as the Doctor and other brother make their way down the stairs with him between them..

"Happened suddenly..there was a fizzing and a sseering pain in my leg, can't remember much after that...next thing I remember is coming round as these two carried me back here.."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 04, 2007, 06:14:47 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne responds, "very well then."

Once down on the street she will ask for a volunteer to assist Tom, "I think it best to get Tom back to the ship, he is in no condition to travel at present."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 05, 2007, 08:45:21 AM
More or less just as the younger of the two brothers, Tom and Dr Keene get to the bottom of the stairs...the door yet to be opened, something occurs out in the street.

(OOC: Current Situation as I imagine it.
Top of the Stairs:
Older Brother.

Halfway down the Stair:
Suzzane.

Bottom of the Stairs:
Dr.Keene. Holding Tom
Younger Brother. Holding Tom.
Tom. Being held by Dr Keene and Younger Brother.

No-one has any weapons drawn, door is locked.

Outside in the street:

Tursal, James. Susan, Caio and Bruce.

Caio and Bruce by the door, James and Tursal on watch, Susan...well, not much.)
A group of people, about six in all, enter from a side alley, about 50 metres away from the shop front, none have any weapons drawn, though they are obviously moving purposefully (at least to those who are capable of noticing them...)

OOC2: I'll roll for observation checks in the OOC thread. Then post a more detailed discription.  
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 05, 2007, 09:20:21 AM
As the group of six turn the corner, three of them seem to notice the members of the group waiting in the street almost immediately.

Of your group, only Caio and Bruce really notice them immediately.

(OOC: Tricky situation. None of the active PC's are aware, as yet, of the other groups approach...and cannot act or react, so for the moment I'll carry out the next few rounds.. :o)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 05, 2007, 10:51:05 AM
(OOC: Thats better.)

As Tom is helped down the stairs..and are just about to reach the front door, something happens outside which those indoors are (at the moment) blissfully unaware...

Outside, all the group spot the oncoming group of six, four of which appear to notice you. The other two appear to be chatting to each other and haven't noticed you yet.

All are armed (pistols) but none have drawn them, the lead two (having spotted you first) start reactting... a little faster than Bruce.

The distance beween you has dropped to 45 metres.

(INTENDED ACTIONS in the OOC Thread. Suzzanne and the Doctor, being unaware continue their previous actions...i.e. to come down the stairs open the door and leave..at least until Round 4 when they are warned by Bruce.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 15, 2007, 08:22:38 AM
Those inside almost make it to the bottom of the stairs when Suzzane hears something over the com-link.. a strange persons voice. Dr.Keene, helping Bob doesn't hear it, at least he appears unaware.

Outside the approaching group close to 40 metres when the group stop, one draws a gun (pistol) whilst the other one starts to talk. The others are yet to act...the rear one almost walking into the back of another.

"You there!" he says pointing to you.. "What are you doing here?".

Those that can see, (which is everybody outside) can see that the approaching group are in similar clothing, all emblazoned with small symbols on the left breast. The person who is talking is wearing a casual suit, the rest are wearing fatigues...

(OOC: Please note you cannot reply till your character has successfully rolled initiative and can take an action. Again state your intended actions in the OOC thread)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 16, 2007, 03:21:05 PM
(OOC: A lot of events happen here...)

The younger brothers head jerks up as he hears the voices in the street. Him, the doctor and Bob reach the bottom of the stairs. The door to the street is closed

Inside, Suzzane and Dr.Keene, hear a babble of three people talking more or less all simulataniously...Bruce, Caio and a voice you don't recognise....

*Bruce* "We've got company, Gendiver.."
*Caio* "Six people coming..watch out!"
*Unknown* "...ah.. if we could avoid any unpleasentness.."

This speaker holds a hand up and is speaking calmly, the group remain at the same distance..

Outside, all the party are aware of the group of six who just appeared. The one who had drawn his gun holds it loosely,but ready to fire, two others are drawing thier weapons, whilst the remaining two have as yet to act thought they appear fully aware of the presence of James, Tursal, Susan, Bruce and Caio.

at the same time that James is told that the group are from Gendiver, he realises it himself.

(OOC: Gendiver is an aggressive competitor of Anasi, the company you are working for...)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on April 16, 2007, 03:56:43 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne speaks up, "there appears to be a situation developing outside..or maybe the boys are just having a laugh."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on April 18, 2007, 07:11:27 AM
(OOC: This pertains to the group of PLAYERS outdoors.)

"Hold on guys. They are..."

Then thinks twice and draws weapon...

"Not Good!"

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 20, 2007, 11:33:00 AM
Inside the younger of the two brothers (the one helping with the injured Bob), obviously hears the commotion out side and starts to turn towards the the Doctor... The elder of the two (and Bob) still appears oblivious to any sort of problem.

Outside the speaker continues... "...I guess you came to retrieve your man..?"

Beside him the one who has drawn his gun slowly takes aim at James, who is now starting to draw his own gun. Seeing this, both Tursal and Bruce do the same. Caio looks hesitant... and Susan looks like she is going to dive for cover.

(OOC: I'm assuming that the characters outside are close to doorways and the nearby buildings...not stood "High Noon"-like in the centre of the street.. ;))
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on April 20, 2007, 02:31:46 PM
"Trouble. Do you have any other way out of here?" Dr. Keene asks the brother.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 20, 2007, 03:47:39 PM
Inside the Older brother still looks blissfully ignorant of the events outside...or on the stairway below him...

The younger brother looks like he is going to say something just as he, Bob and the doctor get to the door at the bottom of the stairs. Suzanne has nearly drawn her gun. The doctor, starts as he realises he should be doing something though his reaction time obviously isn't up to the task, he starts to compose himself to speak whilst using his free hand to free up the gun from its holster.

Outside.

The speaker continues... "I'm sure that we could come to a..." with this he sees the general intent of the group and starts to go for his own gun. The second Gendiver employee steadies himself for a shot... The rest of them are all drawing thier weapons.

Tursal feels a little exposed. The others (with the exception of Susan) all are in the process of drawing thier weapons...

(OOC: I'm assuming Caio = LC Pistol, James= HC Pistol, Tursal= Rifle & Bruce = Shotgun)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 21, 2007, 08:20:20 AM
Inside, the younger has stopped and still looks a bit confused as Dr.Keene is drawing his gun, Bob meanwhile, though somewhat drugged up, looks up and starts to murmur something...

Behind them, still on the stairs, Suzanne has nearly drawn her gun. The older brother, behind her, at the top of the stairs has seen her (you don't know whether he heard the commotion outside) and is a little shocked.

Outside, it's getting tense as James draws his gun speaks...

"Boss!  Get the door open.  We're like virgins in a brothel out here!"

The speaker continues.... "..agreement...or maybe not."

Two of the men have drawn their weapon, one having aimed their weapon at...

Susan?? (Surprisingly considering she is unarmed, but is the only visible one with an Anasi uniform...)

With the exception of Susan, everybody outside who hasn't draw a weapon is in the process of doing so....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 22, 2007, 09:22:01 AM
The older of the two brothers sees Suzzanne turn and draw her weapon..his lower jaw drops in surprise..as Suzzanne says...

"there appears to be a situation developing outside.."

Meanwhile...outside, a situation is developing.  ;)

Tursal drops to one knee brings his rifle to bear whilst saying..

"Hold on guys. They are...Not Good!"

Bruce swings his shotgun up into a firing position... "G'day mates!" he adds with a smile. Susan flinches slightly as she sees the gun levelled at her and starts diving for cover.

The speaker continues.. "...oh..just kill them!" he finishes whilst trying to draw his own weapon.

Caios eyes widen slightly as he draws his own weapon.. "who the hell?..."

There is a flurry of gun drawing from the group of Gendiver thugs...

James finger closes around the trigger...




Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 23, 2007, 11:09:43 AM
There are three loud audible bangs as James opens fire...

the first shot, obviously just a warning shot ( ::)) goes wild, however the second slams into the chest of the first to draw their weapons (and that had been aiming at Susan). He recoils slightly and winces in pain, though he is still up, apparently still capable...his finger closes on the trigger. Susan sencing the danger (unusally.. ;)) dives for cover...

James frowns slightly, "body armour" he thinks...

Caio and Tursal line up their respective targets, whilst Bruce, slightly more gung-ho, swings his weapon towards the group of targets, who are all doing more or less the same thing..

(OOC: They are all armed with LC Handguns and Light Body Armour (under their fatigues, except the Speaker..who just appears to be wearing a nice suit.)

Inside the younger brother...turns and speaks... "What the Hell is goin on?...."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 24, 2007, 07:42:16 PM
"Trouble. Do you have any other way out of here?" asks Dr Keene relaxing his grip on Bob (who slumps slightly) and draws his gun...

Outside a further four shots can be heard...

The Gendiver personnel retaliate, and, somewhat inexplicably aim at the only unarmed person...Susan, who dispite dodging gets hit in the chest. However the three other shots aimed in her direction miss. Wincing she continues her efforts to avoid being hit..
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 25, 2007, 09:13:45 AM
Inside, Suzanne shouts "GET THE DOOR OPEN NOW!" and twirls on the older brother (about 5m away at the top of the stairs and has just drawn his pistol).. "What.. is Going on!?!" she says swinging her drawn pistol in his direction..

The Older man looks quite surprised, and at the moment is rather lost for words... meanwhile at the bottom of the stairs.

Bob mumbles something incoherent.. the younger brother, seeing the drawn gun, hesitates "...you could get out the back...across the roof."

Outside in the street things are getting messy...

Caio and Tursal both get a bead on their respective targets whilst Bruce lets loose with his shotgun, that because of the range is less than efective at hitting. One of the goons gets a couple of shots off in James (rough) direction, both miss..

James opens up on the speaker misses with his first and third shots... the second however puts paid to the speakers efforts to continue speaking...
by hitting him in the throat. He staggers backwards, choking, grasping his throat with his free hand...


Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 25, 2007, 10:21:43 AM
Outside the groups fortunes appear to change for the worse...

One of the goons fires a couple of shots with a pistol at the crouching form of Tursal aiming a hunting rifle... one shot misses but the other catches the unarmoured young native full in the chest. The bullet slams into him, punching a hole through his flimsy shirt, shattering ribs, puncturing a lung and lodging close to his heart.. he staggers slightly, coughs some blood up but maintains his aim (although now it is very shaky...).

Susan, herself a little shaky, twists and dodges, slips and falls prone.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 26, 2007, 09:35:28 AM
"Get out of the street...we have another way out." Shouts Suzzanne into the comms...

Dr Keene reaches for the doors, "Its locked...let me!" says the younger brother.

Bob slurs.."Give me...a gun!" as he slumps onto the stairs...

The Older brother, gun drawn, looks in amazement at Suzanne, not sure what to do.

Outside, James speaks one word "Flechette" selecting the new ammo type, then shouts "Take them from behind!", before firing three shots into the crowd.
The first shot catches one of the lead goons straight in the groin... he gives a screeching sound as the razor sharp shards shred his nether regions...he  impulsively reaches down with his left hand...only to get short in the left arm by James's second shot. He passes out and collapses.

Tursal, already in severe pain tries to maintain his aim. Miraculously, two of the goons choose him as their target...two shots miss...but two don't. The first catches him in the chest. A minor one in comparision to the one he had suffered before, but even the shock of that comes close to overcoming him. The second smashes into his leg. Intense pain shots through his body...everything goes hazy..and he falls to the street in spasms...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 27, 2007, 07:21:00 AM
Inside the younger of the two brothers starts to unlock the door, whilst Dr. Keene waits... Upstairs, the Older of the two brothers looks at Suzzanne who has turned ready to head back towards him...

"Damn it! *@&king Doctor must of thought..." he says, his gun loosely held, not pointed at Suzzanne.

Outside the gunfire continues, both Caio and Bruce open fire, neither hit. James prepares to fire off a few more Flechette shells....

Susan, hearing the command to get inside, starts scrabbling to her feet, just as she is targeted by one of the goons... a fluke glancing shot hits her in the side of the face. She murmurs briefly before collapsing, shaking in the street not more than a meter before the door. Unlike Tursal (who is a mess), Susan is obviously still consious and in shock..
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 27, 2007, 09:23:22 AM
James glances down and sees Susan at his feet, in shock....and retaliates by shooting the goon who shot her.

He fires off three shots, two of which hit the chest of the goon. His overalls are shredded but the first shot is absorbed by the armour, the 2nd apparently hits the exact same spot and a satsifying large spray of blood can be seen.

The goon groans and falls to the street.

James's gun speaks....*** you have only 4 flechettes rounds left ***.

Caio looks over to the door and tenses ready to dash across the street, Bruce simply prepares to shoot again...(he's a little deaf).

Inside the older brother continues "...we wern't gonna pay him?"

(OOC: James gun will automatically revert to normal ammo when they are expended... he thinks he's got about 8-10 standard ammo remaining before he will have to reload..)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 27, 2007, 10:27:02 AM
As the younger brother opens the door into the street, three of the goons decide to target Caio, who appeared to be preparing himself for a sprint across the street... the heavy fire appears at first to look ineffective however a single shot hits him in the left leg...he winces in pain, but is still standing.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 27, 2007, 11:23:04 AM
Caio dashes across the street as both Dr Keene and the older brother reach out to grab Susan, he gets past them...just.

Upstairs, the Older Brother says "I'll get the back window open ready", though Suzanne rushes up the stairs into the lounge area behind him. Bob, limps slowly up the stairs.

Outside in the street both Bruce and James shoot the same goon... James in the hand, his weapon dropping from his grasp.... Bruce hits him in the leg a large fragment of bone is forced through the skin....he slumps to the street.

The remaining two goons...start to preparing another shot... though neither are looking that confiedent anymore and glance to the side...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 28, 2007, 09:02:36 AM
Caio squeezes past as the younger brother and Dr Keene pull the slumped form of Susan inside. Suzzanne heads into the "front room" as the older brother starts opening the window out of the rear room. Bob, rather slowly, limps up the stairs.

Out in the street the two remaining goons, galnce at all their fallen fellows, and their apparent leader who crawls, choking, into cover... a look passes between them.

James intent on giving Bruce some covering fire, doesn't notice that Bruce doesn't seem to be making any effort to dash across the street...they both raise their guns at the remaining hapless goons....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 28, 2007, 10:13:19 AM
James unleashes three shots at one of the two goons as they start to turn...

One shot slams into his chest and punches through his armour, the flechette slivers piercing the area just around his heart...the second shot catches him in the left arm...it jerks back violenltly...he falls shaking onto the street.

A fraction of a second later, the remaining punk starts to turn...only to get hit in the hip by a shotgun slug from Bruce... he to falls to the ground..writhing in agony for a moment, before going into shock.

The Doctor and the younger brother drag Susan out of the street, she is shaking (in shock), she seems to have been hit in the chest and face. The wounds don't look that bad but the shock might still kill her.

Caios leg finally gives way, once the adreniline of combat is gone. He slumps, resting halfway up the stairs. Bob, surprisingly looks a lot better off the Caio.

Tursal lies twitching in the middle of the street...

There are no goons standing, most lie immobile (and in shock or dead).

(OUT OF COMBAT ROUNDS...WHAT DOES EVERYBODY DO?)

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 02, 2007, 10:41:56 AM
"They're all down boss."

James speaks (mostly) calmly as he goes over to search the leaders body.

"How do you want to play this?" he continues..He reloads his gun as he moves forward. He notices that the leader had managed to crawl into a sidestreet..and is leant up against a wall.

Suzanne answers James on the com, "Are you okay James? Let's regroup inside...tend to the wounded...assess what assets we have left."

Ciao, grabs his leg...it looks quite bad.. he can barely stand on it.. Bob slumps next to him on the stairs.

The Doctor and the younger brother exchange glances as they pull Susan from the street.. Once done the brother indicates to Tursal lying in the street.

The older brother finishes opening the window onto the rooftop "There is a fireescape over there.." he says pointing across the roof top.

Bruce shoulders his shotgun then heads over to Tursal... he looks over to the Doctor..

"Waddya you want me to do with him?" he says crouching down "my guess it tain't gonna be long before some concerned citizen reports this..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 02, 2007, 01:46:48 PM
James heads cautiously over towards the leader... who he can tell is probably still alive, just. (but either unconsious or in shock).

His weapon, and those of the othe Gendiver employees lie scattered back in the street. One hand (his left) is grasped to his throat, the other is draped loosely on the street. It looks like he had been wearing a throat mike (or similar device)...however, this appears to have taken the full brunt of the round that hit him in the neck, and is barely recognisable.

It is only about 5 seconds after the gunfight ceased. There doesn't appear to be any sort of alarm being raised (yet), though with a town this size, you doubt it will be long.

(OOC: You can post in the IC Thread now!!  ;))
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on May 02, 2007, 01:56:27 PM
James quickly divests the (soon to be) corpse of anything of value - containing information or intrinsic value.  He picks up any spare clips - this mission looks like it will need them - and hightails it back to the door.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on May 02, 2007, 04:58:34 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne does what she can to aid the wounded. Speaking on the comlink, "watch your back James... I know you can handle yourself but I need you healthy."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 03, 2007, 07:13:02 AM
James searches the fallen leader, who tries to grasp him rather pathetically  (then expires). He finds two clips of standard ammo (for a SC Pistol... it won't fit in his gun..) and a mini-comp. Shoving this in his pocket he heads back towards the flat. As he goes he takes the advantage of acquiring two SC pistols and four more clips of standard ammo... then sees Tursal being tended to by the younger brother.

"He ain't gonna gonna be going anywhere I'm afraid, he's still alive I think hes gonna be ok..." says the brother applying a coagulant patch onto one of Tursals wounds.

(OOC: Tursal appears stable, but obviously so badly injured to continue... :()

Suzanne, Bruce and Dr Keene help the Caio, Susan and Bob back upstairs. Whereupon the three attempt first aid...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on May 05, 2007, 03:28:42 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne glances down to Tursal, "I'm sorry...but we can't take you with us...least not now." 

She turns to the brothers, "Looks like I'll be opening an account with you two. If you can see after those that we leave behind..."

Suzanne waits to hear the final breakdown of who can travel and who needs to be left, "Seems we sprung the trap...now we will need to see who set it."


Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 11, 2007, 08:04:07 AM
Dr. Keene attempts to patch up the wounded people, starting from the most serious, to the least serious. Not being a medical doctor he is a bit out of his comfort zone, but he did get some practice with Susan falling off the hovercraft, and hopes to be able to help his friends.
"I'd say we need a doctor here and FAST!" he says to Suzanne. "Did you find anything of interest?" he asks James.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on May 11, 2007, 02:38:52 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne nods to Dr Keene, "Thank you Doctor." She glances to the brothers, "We will need a medical doctor here quickly...can you fetch one?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 14, 2007, 09:53:48 AM
The older of the two brothers looks somewhat aghast.... "We..we only know of one doctor....and I suspect it was he who informed them..." He says glancing down into the street at the various Gen-diver uniformed personnel. "...guess he thought they would pay more to know what Anasi was doing here..."

Dr Keene quickly administers to the wounded..presumably starting with the party members.. ;)

(OOC: I'll do the rolls later in the OOC Thread)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on May 14, 2007, 06:05:24 PM
Ciao continues to hold his leg, his face a mask of pain. "Where's the Doc?" he mutters between wheezing breaths.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 14, 2007, 09:11:26 PM
The older of the two brothers looks somewhat aghast.... "We..we only know of one doctor....and I suspect it was he who informed them..."

"I think we are going to need him anyway. (OOC I assume that doctors still take something similar to the Hippocratic Oath) We can always kill him later!", Dr. Keene replies to the brothers. He is starting to get real tired of this mudhole and the mission, and the stress is becoming visible. He never liked guns, and now there's a new gunfight every time he turns around.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on May 14, 2007, 10:15:47 PM
James saunters in, stepping carefully around what's left of Tursal.

"Hey doc.  Let's worry about the living for now - take a look at this." 

He hands the mini-comp over to the doc and moves to the window to watch for the hue and cry.  He passes his time reloading his pistol then examining, making safe and reloading the spare pistols.

ooc:  Can James use Tursal's rifle?
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on May 15, 2007, 01:32:18 PM
"Thanks", Dr. Keene starts to play with the computer to get out as much information out of it as he can. AFTER treating the wounded.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on May 15, 2007, 04:07:04 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne coldly replies, "get the Doctor anyway. I would rather silence him after he has outlived his usefulness than to let my people die."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 26, 2007, 08:03:28 PM
Dr Keene rushes out check on Tursal first, two serious wounds one in the chest and one in the leg, another less serious in the arm. Reaching for his first aid kit, he bends over the unconsious form. He manages to staunch the problem bleed on the chest hit, though the Leg wound is problematic... in fact chances are the doctr didn't even notice it...confiedent that Tursal will survive until the real doctor arrives he heads inside to deal with Susans wounds.

He couldn't do much with the minor chest wound but the wound to her eye proves to be a complete success. Somewhat groggily, Susan manages it upstairs with some help.

The Eldest brother calls the doctor... just as James returns with his loot and heads into the stairwell and shuts the door.

****

Cut to the street....

A armed remote arrives on the scene...a few seconds after the door is closed.

It's the one you saw earlier, presumably owned by the dolphin sherrif

****

Upstairs the window to the roof, and from thier a fireescape to the back of the building can be found.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on May 27, 2007, 12:33:26 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne paces the floor as she bites her lip, "I hate to leave anyone behind but some are in no condition to be moved."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 09, 2007, 03:58:52 PM
The older brother seems a bit nervous,  "Well... I suppose it's ok. I'm not sure I trust the doctor anymore. Not sure whether he snitched or someone else did, either way probably best for you not to be here when he arrives..." he makes the call...

There seems to be a bit of a heated discussion, then the older brother hangs up.

"He's on his way.." he says with a shrug.

The rest of you are crowded around the open windom leading to the flat roof at the rear of the building.

(OOC: the rear of the building opens up into a second street paralelling the harbour front. I.e. There is another street between you and the harbour.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 10, 2007, 08:27:18 AM
James keeps busy whilst waiting for the doctor.  He checks the windows, uses his scanner to check for action outside and on emergency frequencies, and pulls up the town schematics on his wrist-comp for perusal.

ooc:  could you let me have another copy of James' pc sheet.  I don't seem to have it anymore ....
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 10, 2007, 08:33:32 AM
As James checks the street... he notices the remote, apparently scanning the area, and investigating the wounded and dead. He quickly ducks back out of sight.

The computer gives no information about a street plan. In fact, the settlement is only just visable on the map. He does scan for communications, and picks up a open band call for medical assitance.

(OOC: Yes, if you could PM me your e-mail, all my previous PM's have been deleted..)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on June 10, 2007, 11:09:21 AM
"I have a bad feeling about this" says Caio. He looks around at the others "Any thoughts?" he says.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 11, 2007, 08:38:16 AM
Dr. Keene is busy trying to read the contents of the minicomputer James brought to him.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 11, 2007, 02:13:50 PM
James dials up for an overhead satellite picture and more details on the agents of the organistaion that attacked them whilst talking to the brothers.

He wanders over, looking every bit the capable mercenary.  His scarred armour and worn clothing combining with the Heavy Pistol under his arm, Tursal's Rifle slung over his back and a spare pistol thrust through his belt.

"Hey, do you have a town map I can look at please?"

He asks amiably.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 11, 2007, 02:41:18 PM
Recap:

About 5 minutes ago, there was a firefight about 10M away from your current location.

_________

The Mini-comp that James recovered is security locked, unlocking it without the correct passcodes etc is a difficult task at best (Perhaps a 10 minute task..).

James attempt at a download of satellite scan fails... in fact, so does the uplink to the/any satelitte.

The younger brother says "No... but I could draw you a map...hang on..."

(OOC: this may take me some time, I haven't full access to my mapping programme, tell us what you wanted to know. It will be quicker.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on June 11, 2007, 06:15:43 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne walks to James and talks in a whisper, "the doctor that is be summoned now will be making a one-way trip."  She lets her expression implies the unspoken meaning of her words.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 13, 2007, 08:59:10 AM
The older of the two brothers waits at the open window to the rear of the building...

"Are you going or what?....I don't really want you to be here when the deputies arrive..." he says nervously.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 19, 2007, 07:01:05 AM
The younger brother quickly sketches a map....his skill is not great and the diagram is barely legible.

He points over the rooftop.... "that comes out in a small alley leading to the harbour..."

The older brother is now getting stressed. "Please go. The Gendiver installation is only 20 km or so from here...if one of them got a message off..."

OOC: Arakish. You can take over Bruce if you like... he's the pilot.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 19, 2007, 08:15:28 AM
Dr. Keene packs everything away and readies himself to leave. "Thank you for your help", he says to the brothers. He then tries to urge the others along. I'm too old for this 'shiznit' he thinks to himself.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 19, 2007, 07:26:52 PM
James uses his wrist-comp to ask Susan if she wants the flat sterilised after the rest of them leave...

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on June 20, 2007, 08:22:16 AM
Tursal

"Sterilize?  But I was hoping to have a son someday."

Bruce

"I don't think he meant it that way buddy.  Maybe someday, I'll get back and visit your pretty world again," says Bruce, holding Tursal's hand as compatriot and giving him a friendly pat on the shoulder.

Tursal

Tursal then looks to the leader, Suzanne, and says, "Ma'am, I'm sorry I didn't do better."  Then slowly passes out...  Maybe hearing Suzanne's reply.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on June 20, 2007, 05:57:34 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne answers James, "that will not be needed though I may have regrets about it later."

Suzanne then gives the order to move out.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on June 22, 2007, 05:53:56 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne stows the map and then exits through the window using the directions the brothers gave her.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on June 22, 2007, 07:02:17 AM
Unless someone else does it, Bruce will ensure the passage of all others, then bring up the rear.

If someone else is better skilled at bringing up the rear, Bruce will simply follow in kind with the group.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 22, 2007, 09:09:35 AM
The group, James, Caio, Dr.Keene, Suzanne, Susan, Bob and Bruce head out of the window and on to the roof, across it where they find a fire escape ladder leading to a side alley leading to the harbour proper.

Bob finds the climb tricky though takes his time and suffers no further injury. Susan seems very happy to see Bob and the two greet each other warmly.

Reaching the end of the sidealley. The harbour can be seen, along with the jumpship floating at its moorings..about 200 metres away.

The harbour area is much the same as you left it. There are still plenty of (presumably) fisherman rushing around, stowing things away and securing things against the expected storm....

The sky is darkening slightly, even though it is still mid-morning. The winds are a little stronger than when you arrived.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on June 24, 2007, 05:41:31 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne glances to each of the others, "right, we know what we have to do don't we. James, be ready for a fight but don't start one.  Bruce, make getting the ship ready to depart your first priority when we reach it.  Susan and Bob...I know you've had a rough go of it but with a bit of luck we will be home soon.  Doctor, be ready to help with anyone who falls behind. Now...let's move out as quickly as possible."

Suzanne make sure everyone is moving as she to makes her way to the ship.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 24, 2007, 07:05:23 AM
Meanwhile (back in the street where the fight took place...)

The remote hovers around and bleeps... 5 minutes later a number of armed deputies arrive...soon after that the doctor, who after dealing with the now unconsious form of Tursal is questioned by the doctor, who in turn points to the brothers flat. A few other witnesses emerge from the shadows..


Back at the Harbour....

The group hastiily cross the remaining space from the alleyway, across the harbour to the quay where the jumpship has been moored. You get a few strange looks but little else, the fishermen are too concerned about the task in hand to be bothered about a largish group of armed people...

(OOC: though I'm assuming that you had holstered your weapons...)

James and Caio reach the craft first, negotiating the task of boarding the ship first. Both seem prepared for an attack. None comes.

The rest of the group squeeze into the small jumpship.

Bruce powers up the engines as the mooring ropes are untied by James and Caio.

(OOC2: There is just enough room for the six of you. Unless you post otherwise, I will assume. Bruce, James and Suzanne in the frount seat and the rest in the back...)

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 24, 2007, 09:22:50 AM
"So far so good..." Dr. Keene mutters..  as he helps Susan and Bob to get comfortable. "Bob, now, can you tell us, what happened back at the camp?" He asks as he buckles up.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on June 25, 2007, 04:02:10 AM
Bruce will get the ship active as fast as possible, then he will take off like a bat out of hell.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 25, 2007, 08:08:02 PM
James checks and reloads his new rifle as he awaits take-off.

"Anything on that personal-comp Doc?
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on June 25, 2007, 09:07:52 PM
"No. It's locked. I'll need to break into it..." Dr. Keene then settles down and in case Bob isn't feeling talkative he will focus on breaking into the minicomp.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on June 27, 2007, 04:08:13 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne clears her throat, "Today Bruce... let's get the lead out shall we."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on June 27, 2007, 07:03:31 AM
"yes, mam.  igniting engines.  hang on."

bruce says as he punches the engines to max.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 29, 2007, 07:20:24 AM
Bruce powers up the engines rather too quickly.... the water churns around the craft as it rises from it's rest in the water. Nearby boats, fortunately secured against the impending storm are buffeted. As the jumpship rises straight up the downdraft spills over onto the nearby quay and a few items yet to be secured are thrown around.

A few of the fishermen turn and utter various colourful phrases...all of which are drowned out by the roar of the downblast.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on June 29, 2007, 07:51:21 AM
Bruce will pilot the jumpship as best as he can he pushes it to the max as per Suzanne's orders.  If necessary, he will grunt, groan, and gripe.

"Damn women..."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on June 29, 2007, 03:07:54 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne resists a smile, "We just need to avoid anymore gun play in town and also beat the brewing storm"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on June 29, 2007, 09:33:23 PM
"I aint never been playn'..."

Drawls the hero.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 30, 2007, 07:16:38 AM
The jumpship drops its noise and slowly prepares to sent the intrepid heros....somewhere.

(OOC: Where are you going?)

A brief look at the onboard computer shows a cyclical storm front moving rapidly in from the north-west.

(You originally came from Kingston...which is way to the south. A long way to the south. Remember, that the jumpship had to stop twice to refuel to get to this far.).

I'll see if I can find a map.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on July 02, 2007, 04:34:36 AM
Yes but Suzanne is a woman and therefore is right making you wrong.... just apologize and do what she wants.  ;D

BRUCE

"Sorry, ma'am.  Gettin-to-gettin now."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on July 02, 2007, 05:05:13 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne glances over to Bruce, "make your course south Bruce." She glances back to others, "unless anybody has a better idea."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Chifo on July 09, 2007, 04:51:56 PM
"Nope." replies Caio. He thinks back to one of the last rides they took and considersstarting a song again...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 09, 2007, 05:17:07 PM
Dr Keene doesn't reply to Suzanne since he is busy chatting with Susan and Bob, trying to find out what Bob knows (OOC is there some diplomacy or something I can roll? I'd really like to hear Bob's story)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 09, 2007, 05:39:22 PM
Bruce drops the nose of the jumpship and points it due south, then opens up the engines to full.

The occupants of the harbour swear as untethered bits are blown around. A few fists are raised in your general direction as you recede into their distance.

Meanwhile, on board.

As Caio starts singing... Dr Keene engages the two survivors in conversation. Susan has little to offer in the way of futher information. Bob simply recalls the story that he gave earlier..which you belive to be the truth.

Basically, he was spending time attempting to repair one of the bases two hovercraft while the other three male members of the team were out on a survey. The remaining two members of the team Susan and the Doctor were inside. Susan checking inventory and the Doctor in the lab. (He doesn't know what). He thinks that he must of then been attacked by surprise because the next think he remembers is being carried through the jungle by the two brothers.

He came to Posedin specifically for this mission, which he admits was a stroke of luck for him since he'd been past over for promotion several times in the past...

Meanwhile.... to the west, storm clouds are gathering and the sky is darkening fast. The waves that you are flying over become noticably more choppy.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 14, 2007, 08:10:07 AM
After 30 minutes of flying the weather seems to be getting worse...you are now flying over an expanse of open ocean and the waves are becoming higher. The jumpship becomes slightly unstable as the downforce of the engines hits the peaks and troughs of the waves.

Bruce however, copes well with the pressure and, at first, seems to have everything under control.

Another 10 minutes pass... the conditions are getting worse and the small jumpship appears to be driven due south by the winds.

And there is pelting rain making vision a little tricky..

Again, Bruce adjusts the course and attitude of the jumpship so that it is surfing the stormfront. Bruce appears to be enjoying himself.

Checking the flight computer, radar and collision avoidance sensors quickly. Bruce finds that the computer has gone off-line.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 14, 2007, 05:47:16 PM
ooc:  where are (were) we heading?

bic:  "Need any help up there?"

Asks a slightly green looking James.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 14, 2007, 05:49:37 PM
(OOC: South. "ish". Check the OOC Thread)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on July 15, 2007, 05:33:55 AM
BRUCE

"Nay, I'm lovin' it.  Anyone got any sick bags?"

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 15, 2007, 08:13:31 AM
From Bruces memory of the trip here (which the approach was further from the east) the islands to the south lie about 200km away. The colonial settlement of Porto del Norte lies there on an island that is about one third as large as Pettibone (where you came from).

The instruments aren't being helpful, the black screens are flashing intermittantly with static. The H.U.D. just proves to be a distraction and he switches them off.

Bruce fights the jumpship from being flipped over by the immensely strong tailwinds... he's flown on the perifiery of a hurricane before, but none like this. You had heard that the storms here were bad..perhaps 2-3 times as bad. However, it is not the wind that is the greatest threat, but the waves. They are now cresting at over 50ft, and this you believe is only the storm front....

The jumpship is designed to be supported by jets of air on a solid level surface, the peaks and troughs are neither.

Bruces skill is now obvious and does supremely well......dispite this he judges one rising peak badly and the jump ship smashes through the top of the wave...for a moment everybody can look up at the wave.. He pulls the nose up and applies more power. The engines strain and the ship jumps free of the water.

One engine starts smoking...

50km to go. And as yet land can't be seen.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on July 15, 2007, 08:32:28 AM
BRUCE

"Yeeeeehhhaaaawwww!," Bruce cries, then as more sense jumps in, "CAPTAIN!  Please come forwards."

When the captain arrives, he will inform him/her of the actual situation.

I think he may becoming anxious about the weather...

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 15, 2007, 08:49:00 AM
The jumpship is very small, if the engines were to fall off (...which they might... ;)) then the passenger comparment is only the size of a SUV (or people carrier), any storage space is taken up by additional auxilliary tanks and a fuel cracker. It's now very cramped, beacuse the ship now has two additional people that weren't on the trip here.

Bruce can simply look over his shoulder and talk.... The passengers don't really have the ability (or need) to move.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on July 15, 2007, 08:38:45 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne yells over the whine of the engine, "Bruce, you are the best pilot I know so that's why I hired you. If you need to do something then just do it.  I don't like swimming that much...."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 16, 2007, 06:53:24 PM
Dr. Keene looks a bit worried and can once again be heard mumbling "I'm to old for this 'shiznit'..." He is gripping his eat very tightly.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on July 18, 2007, 04:40:31 AM
BRUCE

Bruce will do the best he can to keep the ship aflight.

OOC: Posting some rolls in OOC.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 23, 2007, 07:55:57 PM
James looks even more green and starts looking for a sick bag ...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 26, 2007, 07:50:42 AM
Bruce quickly adjusts the thrust ratio of the three engines to compensate for the over-heating engine. However, the jumpships flight becomes somewhat erratic.

The force of the storm, you feel, has not yet hit with full strength as the horizion ahead looks devoid of landmarks. You pass over several small low exposed sea mounts, these are being washed over by the waves.

The sky behind has rapidly darkened. It is now full of swirling stormclouds and a deleuge of torrential rain which is falling almost horizontally...

To a degree the tailwind speeds your journey and after a further 10 minutes of rather stressful flying Bruce glances down at the radar.. which till now had just been static... and sees land ahead.

Your view is somewhat obcsured by the cresting waves, spray and rain, however when the 200+ meter cliffs loom into view above you everybody just has time to shout a warning....

Bruces pulls the jumpship into a steep vertical climb.... and for a moment the jumpships downward thrust is against the cliff rather than directed at the ground... the cliffs rush by beneath...then the jumpships forward (upward) momentum starts fading rapidly.

A few seconds more... and the full force of upward wind currents take over, smashing bottom of the rather light jumpship first against the cliff-face then carrying it over the cliff edge into vegetation at the cliffs top.

*Warning lights and alarms go off*

The damaged engine finally departs from its mortal coil...and flares, catching fire.

All thrust lost the Jumpship tumbles through the jungle canopy...admidst thrashing rain and whipping branches.

Dispite the instabilty of flight (more a slightly controlled tumble), Bruce avoids most of the larger trees.

The jumpship finally comes to rest amidst a cloud of falling leaf litter and branches.

The internal lights, flicker and go out.

A quick head count reveals that all the occupants are ok.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on July 26, 2007, 09:42:50 AM
James climbs shakily to his feet and checks his weaponry.

"Bruce - I don't know whether to hug you or shoot you in the head!"

He gasps, wiping his mouth and looking for the escape hatch.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 26, 2007, 12:18:23 PM
The jumpship, doesn't actually look a complete right-off. It wasn't a bad landing...considering.

The rain is coming down in sheets...and it is fairly dark in the midst of the trees. Something is smouldering at the rear of the jumpship.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on July 26, 2007, 04:28:07 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne glances around, "Everyone okay?"   She affords a smirk at Jame's comment to Bruce.  She then looks a bit wistful, "the best laid plans of mice and men.... perhaps this is someone's way of telling us we were not meant to leave."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on July 29, 2007, 03:34:35 PM
BRUCE

"Any landing you can walk away from..."

Then they Bruce collapse in relief and adrenaline downing.

"My goodness.  I thought we were dead.  Damned radar was static until the last second."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on July 29, 2007, 07:22:47 PM
Dr. Keene

Dr Keene looks around, then the blaring warning lights get his attention. "Is anything on fire? If not I think we should perhaps stay inside to wait the storm out..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 30, 2007, 07:38:41 AM
Dr. Keenes "keen" senses notices that, indeed, there is a minor electrical fire at the rear of the passenger comparment. However, it comes to nothing as it sparks then fizzles out, stifled by rain which leaks onto it. It flares, and shorts whatever systems weren't already inoperable.

Even though the jumpship has been grounded and has some considerable cover from the very study, very big tree trunks... it still rocks as the winds rip through the foliage.

Yes. Staying inside is possibly the best survival tip you could follow. Several large falling branches and stones whipped up by the wind hammer against the hull. It is quite noisy.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 01, 2007, 02:06:58 PM
Everybody seems content to sit in the dark. Caio switches on his flashlight.

"Looks like we are here for the duration" he looks out the window and sees rain that spatters onto the windscreen in the same fashion as if it had been thrown out of a bucket. The Jumpcraft is reasonably well insulated from the noise but the force of the rain still makes the hull vibrate. The occasional falling branch bounces off the roof as well, just to relieve the tedium of the storm.

"Well, what now?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 02, 2007, 03:43:28 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne sighs, "I was hoping to avoid the storm. I'm afraid I'm not much good at repairing shuttles. I am not sure if this storm will ease but I would wager that we need to assess the damage if we need repairs. Bruce I will leave this up to you. Can the shuttle fly...even at a limp?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 02, 2007, 07:34:46 AM
It is difficult to make an accurate assessment of the damage to the systems of the jump-ship at least whilst the storm is going on. The electronics have obviously shorted, little else, The ship was under power, at least till one of the front fans stalled. The structral integrity seems sound, there are some small leaks that have developed in the seals on the side windows.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 02, 2007, 04:06:10 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

ooc: based on new information

bic:  Suzzane sighs, "I know we are pretty cramped but let's sit tight and wait out the storm. "
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 02, 2007, 06:13:26 PM
It would be rather difficult but Dr.Keene could work on the electronic to bring the systems back on line. It would involve crawling over other people and across the Fuel Cracking equipment...but it is possible.

At least that way you might get the communications, GPS and perhaps Satellite reception. (You've travelled perhaps 500 miles southwards...which might be enough to enter an area with satilite coverage.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 02, 2007, 06:53:35 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

ooc: plan C  :)

bic:  Suzanne shifts in her seat, "Doctor Keene...could you start checking the electronics?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 03, 2007, 05:07:08 PM
BRUCE

"Thanks, Cap'n.  I'd really hate to go out in that to check the ship.  But I'll try to eyeball it from in here.  If able."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 04, 2007, 07:11:40 AM
Jamesis is strtng to look more than a bit uncomfortable in these claustrophobic conditions.

"We need to get out..."

He groans,

"We're gonna burn in here!"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 04, 2007, 09:40:01 PM
Well storms I can handle, as long as I'm on the ground Dr. Keene thinks before speaking up. "This reminds me of the hurricanes from back home when I was a kid. There is really nothing we can do but sit tight and wait it out. After that we used to do a damage check, and see what needed repairs. The we would go and look at what treasures the storm had brought. If this tub doesn't want to fly anymore I guess we have to walk to the nearest settlement. So while we wait we could go over the facts as we know the, and maybe plan on what action we should take, and how to get back to civilization." Dr Keen tries to make himself as comfortable as he can.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 04, 2007, 11:10:45 PM
If no one attempts any repairs during the storm... the group wait out the hurricane, which the worst of it continues for about two hours, the winds then abate a bit and the clouds just become grey... however, outside the area around and the jump ship it self is covered with leaf litter, snapped branches and a large quantity of other detritus...including unusally perhaps a number of unusual looking fish*.. which are quite dead by the time you manage to force an exitway so the doors can be opened.

About 15-20m away lies a very large, presumably very heavy tree. It obviously fell over in the storm, narrowly and fortunately missing the jumpship.

* not technically fish...but a fishy analogue.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 06, 2007, 04:19:24 PM
BRUCE

Once the storm is over, Bruce will do a damage survey.

"Well, it could have been worse Cap'n."

Then he will get to work repairing what he can.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 07, 2007, 07:57:46 AM
The first thing that Bruce checks, once he forces his way through the branches that obstruct his door will be the front fan that over-heated...it's blackened from the flames...but apart from that appears as if it still is serviceable... the other fan has become buried in branches and leaf litter. These need to be cleared before damage to this fan can be appraised...let alone started.

His mind goes back to the damage caused by the "Blimp" that they collided with on the way here. The engine survived that...but he still secretly feel a bit guilty.

The rear top portion of the jump-ship is relatively un-obscured, though there is much obvious scoring across the hull. A couple of large branches rest atop the rear/central fan inlet...

The Jumpship as a whole is partially buried in leaf litter... the floats which go down the sides are barely visable. It can be assumed from that the belly of the jumpship itself is resting on a bed of detritus too... that means the vents for the main fan will need to be cleared.

Bruce starts to clear the branches from the blackened engine.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 08, 2007, 10:27:53 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne rubs her temples then calls out, "Can you fix it Bruce?"



ooc: are we on solid ground?
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 09, 2007, 06:57:01 AM
The jumpship is on solid ground (as far as you can tell)...the leaf litter and broken branches also lie crushed under it.

It has a slight "nose-down" attitude, which seems to indicate that it is on a slight slope..or is resting on something.

(A brief investigation shows that it is a rotting tree stump...about 2-3ft high...supporting the back end. Although rotting it is supporting the craft quite nicely)

The on-board maintenace gear is stowed in compartments around the outside/rear of the hull. Before any work can be attempted the branches need to be cleared to allow access. Dr Keenes own electonic toolkit is sufficent to make the electrical repairs.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 09, 2007, 03:54:00 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne makes her way of shuttlecraft. She wipes her forehead then with both hands on her hips, "right,  we all know what we need to do. Let's all start clearing away the debris."

Suzanne begins to start moving limbs from around the craft.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 09, 2007, 08:51:48 PM
James was/is first out onto terra firma.  He claws his way off the ship and hugs the ground.

"Don't bother fixing that dammed thing."

He snarls.

"I'd rather swim back..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 09, 2007, 10:27:42 PM
Bob, dispite being wounded struggles out to help... as does susan though the term "chocolate fireguard" was obviously created for her. She stumbles amidst the twigs and stuff.

Caio looks down at James..."You do know how BIG these oceans are don't you?", he shakes his head and starts to help clear the debris.

Clearing the debris takes about an hour, during which time the clouds have cleared almost as quickly as they arrived, the wind has dropped.

Bruce can tell that the damaged fan is repairable, though hi-jinx manuevers probably are not that advisable. The rear fan (the one in the body of the jump ship, appears to have become clogged with branches and twigs. It takes a further hour to clear this.

In the mean time Dr.Keene (with help from Susan...who does now seem to have something she is good at) restores both power and the communications suite in the jumpship. With the electrics working the jumpship has power...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 10, 2007, 05:23:16 AM
BRUCE

"Yes, Cap'n.  I think I can repair the ship."

Spits some leaf from his mouth as he pulls some from off the ship.

"However, I would NOT suggest any foolish maneuvers like I already did.  Storm and all.  It might take a while."

Spits some more leaf as he continues to pull flotsam from the fans.

"Maybe a few hours or more.  The rear end is sitting on a rotting stump.  Puts the front down which I don't like.  Ahh... damnit!" he curses as he struggles with a branch.

"I'll do my best, Cap'n."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 11, 2007, 03:27:59 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne shakes her head, "Oh pull yourself together James. We need to get this craft cleared."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 13, 2007, 08:28:03 AM
After the better part of an hour the two workteams complete their repairs Dr Keane and Susan inside and Bruce and Bob outside...

The communications suite is on-line but somethings not quite right... it seems if the transmitter/reciever mechanism has become damaged...it can be used but needs to be manually adjusted.

Externally the fans look ok... Bruce is 100% confiedent that they are working, though when he does a diagonistic using the computer it tells him the fans (all of them) simply do not exist. Ignoring this minor problem, Bruce overrides the computer controls and tests the engines. He puts them on idle, they start and appear to be working fine. However, he needs to manually adjust the power/thrust settings. (Once what was fly-by-wire...is no longer)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 13, 2007, 11:41:27 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Oblivious to all the tech stuff Suzanne retrieves a water container to take a sip. She secures it away as she wipes some sweat from her forehead, "whew, I didn't think it would be that hard but the heat...."  She plops down in a seat, "So is everything working?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 15, 2007, 05:02:08 AM
BRUCE

"Cap'n.  I have a serious problem.  Although the fans exist, the computer is saying they don't.  I'll have to literally fly by the seat on MY pants.  And that is something that may end up smelly."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 15, 2007, 07:17:11 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne nods, "well its those pants, as you say, is the reason why I hired you."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 15, 2007, 07:46:10 AM
BRUCE

"yes Ma'am.  I'll might be using that free pocket of yours.  If you don't mind."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on August 15, 2007, 10:01:00 AM
James takes it upon himself to scout the immdiate surroundings a and watch out for trouble.  He maintains his foul humour and does very little to help...
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 15, 2007, 10:12:08 AM
The area surrounding area is literally strewn with large branches interlaced with dense jungle undergrown, any movement is much impeded.

However, the best that James can do in terms of scouting is clamber up on the fallen tree which lies close to the jumpship.

He does this easily...

He can see a little further from this vantage point. He easily identifies the jumpship's passage through the canopy, and also that the jumpship lies only 400m from a cliff edge.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 15, 2007, 06:00:56 PM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne gives Bruce an odd look as if she did not catch the meaning of his comment. 


She takes a few steps out on the debris then uses her hand in a salute-like position as to shade her eyes to the sun, "See anything James?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 18, 2007, 09:08:25 PM
Dr. Keene tries to help Bruce as much as he is able, feeling a bit useless. When he hears about flying unaided, he shudders and groans in his mind.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 20, 2007, 04:11:42 AM
BRUCE

As long as he left alone, Bruce will do his best to repair what he can with what he has.

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 21, 2007, 03:00:28 PM
(OOC: Current situation as I see it

Bruce, Suzzanne, Caio, Bob and James are outside having cleared the engines, exhausts, hull, flying surfaces etc.

Dr Keene and Susan were working inside trying to get the electrics/communications working.)

It occurs to Dr Keene that it might be an external array that had been damaged and that is why the communications aren't working as well as they should.

From the outside the jumpship looks a little battered but nothings missing...just scrapes and a couple of minor dents on the underside of the hull. The top and front of the hull appears rather dirty, quite a lot of the paintwork has seen better days.

Together the communications is tested and, indeed, it appears as though, although the elctronics is working the mechanical element is stuck.

Quite the reverse for the engines..

"Where exactly are we?"  says Caio. "This stuff doesn't look much different to what we left.. anychance you can get that GPS working again?"





Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on August 22, 2007, 03:19:57 PM
BRUCE

If anyone is near enough, they may hear Bruce remark, "Well, it could have been much worse."

Later, "Poor baby, you've seen better days."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 23, 2007, 07:09:57 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne shrugs her shoulders, "That is a good question Caio.  I'm not much on gadgets but I will take a look." 

Suzanne will look at the GPS to see if it is working. She will also try to determine where the group is currently.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 25, 2007, 03:21:11 PM
As Dr.Keene (and or Bruce) will probably tell you, although the electrics seem to be working fine, however both the computer and the communications arrays don't seem to be...

Some more tinkering by all concerned is required once again ...

James continues his look out, Caio climbs up onto the hull to look at the communications array.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 25, 2007, 03:47:38 PM
Dr. Keene, twidles with the input leads on the computer (turn it off...then turn it back on again).

The screens stop showing snow and the internal systems and power indicators seem to be working fine. They flicker foe a moment, Suzanne gives it a tap...it flicks off momentarily.

It appears to have a loose connection... it works... barely.

Dr Keane punches in the GPS system... "signal degraded...accuracy not guarenteed.." the integral gremlin* says in a helpful cheery way.

Meanwhile on the roof, Caio finds what he believes in the communications array and tries to fix it.

The only thing James sees is Caio's efforts to manipulate the array. It somewhat distracts him. And nothing else is seen.

Then Dr.Keene remembers his mini-comp.

*Many items have Gremlins which provide instruction/guidence/information.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on August 26, 2007, 04:46:06 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne fans herself as she tries to stay out of the way. Technical gadgets are just not her thing.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on August 26, 2007, 09:49:51 PM
Dr. Keene tries to find some instructions on how to fix a degraded signal, or if he can get a GPS fix via his minicomp.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 27, 2007, 07:55:10 AM
Dr Keene has the same result on the mini-comp.... the onboard computer has a detailed maintenance manual.. plus a simpler "Gremlin" that gives verbal instructions.

He goes outside and tests the signal there. It is a little better, he comes to the conclusion that perhaps it is the trees blocking reception. (The onboard satilite reciever is more sensitive however and can pick up weaker signals...)

Caio shouts down from the roof of the jumpship...

"Hey, is this meant to have vines wrapped around it?" he smiles holding up one end of a severed vine. He takes out his knife and trimms away the obstructing vine.

Clambering up to the roof, Dr Keene sees that the vines have forced the receptor out of alignment and damaged its servos. (The receptor scans/homes into transmitted signals automatically by adjusting its alignment to maximise signal strength).

(OOC: It is possible for the Dr to use the mini-comps GPS, and increase it strength by piggybacking the jumpships recievers. It just needs the reciever to be pointing in the right direction.)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 31, 2007, 11:45:33 AM
Once the vine has been removed from around the array... the reciever is free to move, although the servos are badly damaged, or the hydrolics are strained. Either way it still needs to be manually adjusted in order to get a decent signal.

"Well, it looks like we've got a choice... break radio silence and do a broad spectrum distress call, or we get this to work manually or we fly out of here..." says Caio.

Susan and Bob look to the others for the decision...

Caio continues... "Well, lets assume that the Gen-diver lot are now aware of what happened back there. They probably put two and two together and know that the only jumpship that flew out of there wasn't theirs... plus they may have had chance to talk to the brothers as well." he stops for a moment.

"Assuming they had something to do with the attack on the base...I'm sure they won't be wanting us to report back anytime soon..."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on September 01, 2007, 05:28:02 AM
"Well, it looks like we've got a choice... break radio silence and do a broad spectrum distress call, or we get this to work manually or we fly out of here..." says Caio.

"Flying, where?" Dr. Keene asks. "I mean we don't know where here is, so going anywhere will be a guess, at best, and with a half crippled vessel, I'd rather not risk that. I guess that means we got to get the damn GPS working. So let's get cracking!"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on September 01, 2007, 04:18:43 PM
BRUCE

"Where?  Anywhere but here.  Although I doubt anyone tracked us in that hellstorm, you never know.  Don't we have a map in the computer?  Or do we need the GPS program to access the map?"

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 01, 2007, 08:26:58 PM
There is a map in both the jumpships onboard computer... and Dr Keenes (and anyone elses who has got one) Mini comps...

Having had a good look at this you believe that you have travelled several hundred miles to the south-east of the town wher you recovered Bob.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on September 02, 2007, 03:34:25 AM
BRUCE

"OK.  We have maps.  I know [OOC: I hope] which direction we were travelling when we left.  Barring being blown seriously off course by that hellstorm, couldn't we at least make some ejicated guesstimations as to where are now?"

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 02, 2007, 01:38:08 PM
"Well we aint in Kansas anymore Dorothy..."

Growls the surly bodyguard.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 02, 2007, 01:42:21 PM
"Surely someone else has gps on their personal-comp?  Can't the doc splice a link?"
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM
(OOC: Yes, All the players have GPS on their personal comp. Trouble is there appears to be a lack of signal strength and the personal computers simply haven't the power to boost the signal recieved. The jumpship has, though it's own reciever is somewhat malfunctioning.

It just takes someone to either manually "twiddle" with the Jump-ships OWN reciever or to get into a better position with a mini-comp (aka up into/above the jungle canopy...back towards the cliff edge.. or try juryrigging a personal comps reciever using power from the jumpship.

All these tasks are about the same complexity about average... either requiring Electronics or Computer or Communications skills... who is going to be brave enough?)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on September 06, 2007, 03:41:34 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne, looking the worse for wear, blows a strand of errant red hair from her face, "Okay boys put your collective thinking caps on and solve this technical snafu or we will be baking in this sun until we die of thirst.  Tell me what to do and I will do it.  Anything beats sitting on this pile of rubbish in the middle of God knows where."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 06, 2007, 07:11:53 AM
Bruce clambers up onto the roof of the Jumpship and after some tinkering frees the reciever. Inside the jumpship Susan and Dr Keene work together to find the signal...

"Left a bit, right a bit..."

Eventually, the signal strength is sufficent that the Doctor is able to link his own Min-comp to the reciever, boosting the signal.

The GPS indicates that you are about 200 metre south of the Northern coast of an uninhabited, rocky island in the Las Guauas chain.

This is about 250 miles from the colonial settlement of Puerto del Norte. The hurricane obviously pushed you someway off course.

This appears to be the last landmass for over 1000 miles if you continued south.

On the bright side... the communications array is picking up satillete signals. Communication is now possible using the Jumpships reciever.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on September 06, 2007, 07:56:48 AM
BRUCE

"Damnit, I told ya.  All it took was some tinkerin'."

Then he sits atop the Jumper wondering if he didn't screw something up...

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 13, 2007, 08:49:18 AM
(OOC: So what are people waiting for? The jumpship has contact with the outside world....)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: arakish on September 14, 2007, 02:13:42 AM
BRUCE
(http://www.udava.info/DropOcean/BruceCrop.jpg)

"Hey.  Y'all got anything yet.  Let me know if I got lined up right."

rmfr
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 21, 2007, 05:39:05 AM
Both Suzzanne's and Dr.Keene's Personal comp's bleep as they register several incoming transmissions.

(The signal to Suzzannes possibly due to the equivilent to the wi-fi aspect of the jumpship..)

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on September 25, 2007, 05:25:38 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne checks her messages
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 26, 2007, 09:52:22 PM
The messages are requesting sit-reps... they are today (about midday, when you were in the harbour) and one yesterday (about midday, when you left the base.).

Apparently during this time neither transmission got through. However, the signal appears strong enough to make a reply.

You have to date been in communication with your superior/s only once, the day you arrived at the base. This was done with the mini-comp that Dr Keene has, its a little more powerful. Dispite this, the signals, for some reason have not been recieved until now.

(OOC: With the renewed communication you are able to call for help, make a report etc...)
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Sir Wolf on September 27, 2007, 06:29:08 AM
Dr. Keene also checks his messages. "I suppose we should send some sort of sitrep?" he says to Suzanne. "I don't think we are in any condition to continue, perhaps call in for a pick-up, and let the pros pick it up from here?", he adds.
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Gribble on September 27, 2007, 06:36:34 PM
"Yeah ... we're up the proverbial creek ..."

Agrees James.

Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Avidos on September 28, 2007, 03:26:48 AM
Suzanne Wrightsmith


Suzanne nods, "Very well then."   She then sends her message to Anasi, "Wrightsmith, Suzanne...id code 44332211, mission complete. Request pickup at these coordinates. Will need further assistance to advance to next phase."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 28, 2007, 06:38:09 AM
A reply comes back almost immediately...

****

1. Please confirm site integrity.
2. Has contact been made with site personnel?
3. State probable cause for break in communications.

******
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 06, 2007, 08:50:26 AM
The message is repeated.

Bruce manages to fix the reciever in place and comes down of the roof of the jumpship accompanied by Caio.

"Well, you've got it working...best we call for help. I suspect Bruce here could get this crate in the air, but I'm sure even with his great skill we could keep it there...." he says to Suzzanne and Dr Keene who are both dumbly staring at the message..

"I suggest that we contact the GEO, immediately. I'm only an observer here but that stripped down powersuit we found? My guess it was stolen. It was an orbital insertion suit...as was the module we found.. GEO Shocktroopers use them. But my guess is that it was dropped here THEN someone used it...cos whoever it was couldn't have survived re-entry with no lifesupport. That means it was someone already here."
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 20, 2007, 05:04:54 PM
Once the sit-rep has been sent, the Anasi Supervisor (Suzzannes immediate superior) confirms reciept and says that they will contact the GEO direct to arrange a pickup from your co-ordinates.

***********************

About 10 minutes later there is an update saying that a GEO recovery team will arrive in an hour from Crusoe Island (known as Fort Solitude by the GEO).

***********************

An hour passes and a VTOL arrives at the crash site. The party are taken on board and taken back to Crusoe Island. After an hours flight and you have landed Bruce, James and Caio are immediately seperated from the rest by armed GEO Shocktroopers. The remains of the Anasi survey team, Dr Keene and Suzzanne are sheparded into seperate holding areas and debriefed..
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 21, 2007, 11:31:42 AM
The GEO personnel seem very edgy with both groups that they are de-briefing.. though they are courteous it would be a small step from an interview to an interrogation...

(OOC: Each character is seperately interviewed. If anyone wishes to make a post regarding theories or suspicions about what happened then now is the time... ;))
Title: Re: A Drop in the Ocean
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 01, 2007, 11:15:28 AM
What happens next.. (I'm assuming that the players have the truth cooerced out of them...)

The independants (Bruce and James) are asked to report on what they believe happened... Bruce is a little disadvantaged since he personally never went to the Anasi site. As this is confirmed independantly by all concerned he is free to go, however, several questions are asked about his actions in the fight to recover Bob. The G.E.O. do not appear too concerned that he was involved in a shoot out in broad daylight in a small colonial town...they seemed more interested in who was being fought. After he identifies the other combatants as GenDiver employees they seem satisfied.

James is questioned a little more throughly. He did visit the Anasi site and was a major conributor to the casualties in the colonial town. Again they don't seem that concerned about the fight once he confirms the presence of a superior number of armed Gendiver personnel. However, he is carefully questioned about his actions at the Anasi Research Base. The GEO interrogators seem especially interested in James's attempts to open several doors within the base, specifically the one leading to the lab where the body of the female researcher was found. James did not have the required code to easily gain access, which means that whoever entered the lab and killed the female researcher did, since the door was locked when the party arrived and there was no other means of egress to that area. They next turn their attention to the armoured suit and the atmospheric insertion pod in the jungle nearby... James didn't know an awful lot about it, except it appeared to be stripped down and of military issue.

===============================================

The interview with Caio is a lot more in depth, Caio having no reason to do otherwise tells the complete facts as he knows them. It is quite clear from the interveiwers manner that the GEO were aware of the teams mission and the Ansai Research base at Pettibone.

They discover that there had been some efforts to conceal the base from the view of satillites and that the very same efforts prevented out-going transmissions. This he discovers is not entirely unexpected to the GEO interviewers, Anasi, are a very secretive corperation and their on-world operations are very heavily scrutinised by the other rival corperations. Gendiver having the closest installations to Pettibone and being the most powerful of the corperations are therefore the prime suspects for any attack upon the Anasi camp. He also mentions that the bases cameras were reportedly said to have images of an overfly by a craft in Gendiver livery a couple of days before the attack.

What he discovers at the camp is noted, with questions being asked about Susan's discovery in the storeroom and the corpse of the female researcher in the lab. He informs them that it appears that the assailant gained access through the storeroom wall, presumably by the use of cutting equipment. He also says that the tracks led to an atmospheric insertion pod a few km into the jungle. He also notes that the insides of the insertion pod were heavily stripped down. He confirms that entry to the lab by James was unconventional and that the door codes to the lab were different to those used elsewhere in the other modules at the base, indicating a higher level of security. He reports the discovery of two more bodies further out in the jungle (by the missing hovercraft) and the heavily booted trail leading to a armoured GEO enviromental suit and the remains of its wearer. He also states that even with his little experience of such matters that the suit also appeared to have been stripped down prior to the death of it's occupant. At this point he mentions that from Susans discription of the team that three of the team were out surveying, the female researcher was in the lab, one member was servicing the hovercraft and that she was in the storeroom. He continues to surmise that all the team had apparently been accounted for bar one... with the environmental suit appearing to contain the remains of one of them. The last member, Bob, was later recovered from a local colonial town after being discovered by a couple of locals in a badly injured state. As they were about to leave with the injured Bob a squad of Gendiver personnell arrived at the same time, apparently to collect Bob for themselves. This lead to a brief gunfight in which Tursal a native guide found sneaking around the outside of the Anasi base was critically injured as well as several of the Gendiver personell. Bob was recovered and according to test later carried out by Dr Keene had his identity confirmed.

The Interviewers seem pleased with Caios answers.

=============================================================================

The Anasi personnell are interviewed in the presence of a civilian, who identifies himself as Jocken Schmitt, apparently a lawyer hired by Anasi. Neither Suzanne or any of the others recognise him. He sits quietly at the side taking notes occasionally he whispers comments to one of the GEO Personell.

They are asked questions about why they are there. The two suriviving members of the Anasi reserch team both independantly state that they are doing field surveys on the mineral deposits in the area... The interviewer looks towards Schmitt who simply nods and hands over a data pad to the interviewer...

Suzzanne calmly gives her brief of the teams mission, to see what has happened to the survey team. She and Dr.Keene then relate all thier findings.

There are several grave looks from the interviewer as he listens to the report then glances at the datapad. He then releases the players without a word.

===============================================================

The players are transported back to Haven, Suzanne and Dr Keene are released from service with Anasi (but kept on a retainer) and amply compensated for their work. James and Bruce recieve their reward, paid into their accounts in Anasi company scrip. Caio is invited to perform research with a GEO Survey team. The two surviving Anasi survey members are not seen again.... presumably shipped offworld.

================================================================

The Aftermath.

It is concluded by the GEO that Gendiver spies discovered that Anasi planned to site a large company town close to Pettibourne and that a Anasi security advisor (working as a spy for Gendiver) implimented the attack to disrupt Anasis efforts. The GEO not keen to face off against Gendiver instead veto Anasi's proposals for this site instead giving a licence for a different more favourable site.

=================================================================

What Actually Happened.

Anasi planned an attack against their own base with the intention of either planting the blame on Gendiver or forcing the GEO to accept their own plans.

The survey crew were all second grade expendable employees, with the exception, of the Security Advisor, who wasn't a spy, but was still considered expendable. The equipment was surplus GEO stock, appropriated legitamately from the GEO by a Gendiver employee (actually a Anasi plant) who diverted the equipment so that it could be found and used by the security advisor. Being stripped down, the equipment didn't have adeqaute environmental protection, and its contents, the  suit, was damaged in the placement process. The truth was that it had been tampered to make the suit recycle toxic gases rather than expell them.

Earlier, he and two of the others headed off to do a field survey. He killed both then headed back to recover the suit to complete the attack on the camp. He left the bodies where they lay thinking that the jungle scavengers would dispose of any DNA evidence.

When the security advisor used the suit in the attack he did so in the full suit, which had no cooling systems (because they had become damaged). So when headed back out after the attack he was somewhat nauseated/disorientated, took his helmet off and was ambushed and strangled by a Hanging Joe. His disorientation obviously casued him some problems because he failed to find and kill Susan, used his security pass to open the lab door and failed to finish the job by killing Bob. Bob was found by the two hunters and taken back to town. They got the Doctor, who worked out that he was an Anasi employee and informed Gendiver, who sent round a squad of Goons....