Real Roleplaying Forums

Games => The Gaming Table => Dark Magic (HARP/Classless) => Topic started by: Jaeru on April 10, 2012, 03:13:27 PM

Title: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 10, 2012, 03:13:27 PM
This will be for in game character posts
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 10, 2012, 04:07:00 PM
You find yourself, for whatever personal reason/circumstance you have, in the capital of Gelfond, called Citadel, which is the base from which the human armies patrol the darklands, also called Darkhaur (think Gondor, next to Mordor).

These past days you've been in the city wandering around, or going about your business. During these days you've come across the main city notification board, where you can find all kind of messages, official decrees, but also some commercial messages, if people are able to afford some room (the board is quite big, 12 feet wide, solid oak). As you pass it by giving it a glimpse just to see if there's anything interesting on it,  you notice a big sign, saying: "Adventurers wanted for mission into darklands". It grabs your attention, as it is quite the poster, and must have been very expensive to be put there. In any case it doesn't give more information, other than that Baron Gelvas is setting up a mission into the darklands in order to survey some ruins. This is obvious code for treasure hunting. If you are interested, you should come to the inn "The Happy Boar" at sunset where more information will be provided and where the interviews for the job will take place.

You think this could be potentially interesting and decide to at least give it a look.

As you enter The Happy Boar inn (quite an upscale inn, as far as inns go), you see that its quite a busy evening, with merchants and the odd politican/nobleman, sitting at tables having dinner, of drinks and talking trade or politics. You walk over to the bar to inquire about the meeting and he points to a side room where you should go. This side room is actually a cove of the inn, separated by a large curtain, but its quite big...yet when you open the curtain to enter this cove, you see that although its big, its not quite big enough to seat (max. 20) all the people that have shown up...the big table with the chairs around it are fully filled, except at the head of the table (where likely the baron will sit) and surrounding it are at least 10 more people standing and talking among themselves

As you enter, the people in the room glance you over quickly before continuing what they were doing

 


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 13, 2012, 01:45:53 AM
Auris

"Ale - and fill it up properly, being a halfling doesn't mean I'll pay in full for half a mug!"

The waitress eyes shoot fire at Auris, an he immediately knows that the only thing that keeps him from being  thrown out of the inn - head first - is the fact that it is a bit too upscale to even have a bouncer. Which was exactly as he planned it; the remark wasn't meant for the waitress, but rather for the rest of the crowd in the cove. After all, these were potential competitors, and it wouldn't do to have them think he was a walkover - hard enough for someone of his kind at the best of times. But he knew that his tone of voice and the look in his eyes would convey the proper message. And after a second the waitress gets it too - he'll get exactly what he asks for.

With his ale he withdraws in a corner, and starts to study the crowd. He concludes it's the usual collection of bored adolecents (with more money than sense, they wouldn't last long outside the capital, and in his younger years he'd releaved them of their purses before they even got that far), crooks - the petty thieves apparently didnt bother going to the "Happy Boar", but Auris has a long experience with more upscale swindlers and serious criminals alike, and both categories were represented - as well as a couple of figures that were less easy to pin down. Perhaps a few among them would even be serious adventurers...

At any rate, he doesn't expect to see any serious business being done for hours, and in his thoughts he goes over the reasons why he would throw himself in a treasurehunt again.

First of all, for the oldest reason in the world - he was nearly broke again. For the seventh time in his life already he had to start again from almost nothing, thanks to a compagnion who managed to get himself caught with the proceeds of their last endeavour. He was enjoying a great view of the Citadel now, albeit with a rope around his neck. Only some thinly veiled threats regarding his compagnions daughter had assured his silence till the end. All the better, as Auris would have had neither the time nor the desire - not any more - to carry out those treats if he had talked. But he was still broke.

And the second-oldest motive did also apply: vengeance. While he had few hopes after three decades, someone or something in the darklands owed him a blood-debt. That scar would never go away. And if he was to go out on a new enterprise, it might as well be one that finally produced some clues.

And, as he admitted to himself when the bottom of the mug came in sight, he was also fed up with the city. Yes, he could once again tap into its sordid secrets. He could even become an honest trader again, that widow on potter's street could be persuaded to provide the initial sum, he was sure. But the truth of the matter was that he had grown tired of that kind of stuff. It was time for something new.

And a new ale as well, baron Galvas still kept everyone waiting.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 13, 2012, 08:37:02 PM
Richard

He went in with his spurs rattling on the floor. Nice new boots he'd bought a couple of days ago. He still had to pay them though; only the barest signal had been given. He walked to the bar and asked for a Tequilla. Great city this Minas Tirith, though the Knights of Dol Amroth had returned to their fiefs. Still a busy city. He now focused on the Baron and other potential customers.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 15, 2012, 10:49:08 PM
Duror

The dwarf Duror, the self-titled Master of Weaponry of House Aegol, heir to the Ruby Hammer of Kos and protector of the Deep Wardens, enters the room. He is clad in course scale armor, and heavily armed with vicious instruments of death and destruction. He surveys the group of adventurers, sizing up the crowd. He scowls, takes a seat, and lights his pipe.  Blue-black smoke swirls around his long beard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 18, 2012, 05:33:54 PM
Auris

So it had become even more crowded. Some of the newer entrants were moderately interesting, but none really stood out - unless that dwarf knew how to use that steel he was carrying. At any rate, the city was long on showing-off, and short on backbone and ability, so why should this crowd be any different?

And if to prove the point, a someone who appeared to be herald entered the cove. Did the baron wish to make his entrance accompagnied by trumpets?! At this rate, the enterprise would mimick the originators ego: huge. A huge success, or a huge, rediculous, failure...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Grixis on April 18, 2012, 07:02:37 PM
Grixis entered the Boar with a chuckle as he surveyed the posh people with their fancy robes and fancier conversation. As he reached for his pouch, he realized just how out of place he was here. Undaunted he strolls up to the barkeep and orders an ale and asks to be pointed in the direction of the Baron.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 18, 2012, 07:48:58 PM
The barkeep poors an ale for Grixis and points him to the cove in the corner
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 18, 2012, 07:52:30 PM
Richard also asks the direction to the Baron, taking a mug of beer along.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 18, 2012, 08:02:49 PM
After a while the curtain is drawn back and a young nobleman walks in, accompanied by two soldiers  that look like his personal guard. The nobleman is dressed as if he is about to go hunting...he looks like a posh adventurer...the two soldiers look like veterans though and probably collect a pretty fee

The nobleman sits down and says: "I'll cut right to the chase...I've procured some valuable intel that has given me the route to great treasures that have been thought to have been lost during the fall of the dark lord. As it is situated in the centre of the dark lands, I will require as many men as possible to aid me on this quest. The pay will be an equal share in all nonmagical treasure we find, and 1 piece of gold a live person when I get back alive in the capital. All magical items we find are mine to collect. If you care to participate. The venture will be dangerous as we will have to travel to the heart of the darklands, so this quest is only for the ones brave enough. My associates here will ensure sufficient rations and supplies. If you are interested, then you can register with my aide..." he points to the herald "...and if there are any urgent questions, you can ask them now"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 22, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
Auris

In the pandemonium that ensues - all the brats tumble over eachother to ask silly questions, such as how long the expedition will last - Auris wonders where he has seen the young man before. It seems hardly possible, given the 'baron's age. But perhaps he had dealings with his father or uncle...

Also, that demand that all magical items are his has to go; most stuff in the darklands would be tainted by some sort of magic even if it wasn't inherent in the items. Small print is there to be ignored, or shoved aside, if he could find a way. So where oh where has he seen that long nose and way-too-small lower jaw before?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 25, 2012, 01:50:20 AM
Duror

Duror stands up and asks, "What type of foul creatures can we expect to encounter in the Dark Lands?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 25, 2012, 05:32:10 AM
Richard says, "You're asking us to step into the ashes of Gorgoroth, and we get no magic items? The tales of the elves say that in the war of old that region was blasted by the mushroom explosions of the weapons of the ancients; add to that that the dark magic practiced there drained the land till it is nothing but black sand. Not even Orcs and Trolls lived in that plateau but kept to the mountains of Shadow." He stops then as if indecisive, "Forgive me if I say too much. Maybe I've been paying too much attention to old womens' tales of lately."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 26, 2012, 08:22:10 AM
The young Baron answers the question most adventurers have...the one about the magic items

"Look, it is very easy...I'm taking all the financial risks in this venture. I do not know if there will be magical items or treasure, but I promise you gold either way. But fear not the chances of treasure are far greater than magical items. And of course if you find some swords of exceptional quality, then I will consider that treasure for you to take as well, but any magical artifacts that we come across are mine. That is why I set up this trip and this is non-negotiable. If you have problems with that, then there is the exit."

"In terms of what I expect...my sources tell me that recent earthquakes have rattled the dark lands, forcing whatever remaining critters into hiding. I nevertheless expect some encounters with Orcs and goblins, but not too much as most of them were killed and these are as you say barren lands so not much CAN live there...in any case nothing you brave adventurors can't handle" he smirks
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 26, 2012, 01:57:32 PM
Duror

Duror nods to the Baron and makes his way to the herald to register for the expedition.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 26, 2012, 03:52:49 PM
Richard also registers.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 26, 2012, 11:06:52 PM
Auris

Auris still is searching his memory - maybe he should have gone a bit easier on the ale. At any rate, given the guys he sees signing up, he very much doubt this expedition will go according to the baron's plan. There's enough time to play any trump cards later.

Auris moves over to the herald and signs up - with a false family name, as is his habit.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 27, 2012, 01:16:21 PM
The Baron smiles "Good to see many of you are joining us. We leave in two days"

He then gets up and he and his bodyguards leave the establishment. The herald lingers for a while to finalise admin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 03, 2012, 04:22:28 PM
The two days fly by...you finish your pending business, have some more drinks for courage and perhaps have some last fun, for you never know...
 
 ...on the morning of day 3, you congregate outside of the main gate. Of the people you met earlier only a couple remained. There's the baron, 2 of his guards, 4 other guards that you haven't seen before, but appear part of the Baron's retinue. There's an interesting amount of small people. 1 dwarf, 1 gnome and 1 halfling. Lastly there are 4 humans present. 1 is wearing armour, the rest look like rifraf or bandits.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Grixis on May 05, 2012, 07:59:19 AM
as the party gathers for departure a voice is heard from behind.

Grixis: you dont think this expedition has any chance without me.

he smiles and approaches the group with a cocky demeanour, eyeing the group with a twinkle in his eyes.
he looks at the baron and asks "shall we?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 06, 2012, 07:38:54 PM
Baron


Turns to see the skinny lad with the cocky demeanor and responds: "You're late...don't slow us down again"


The looks at the gathered group of lets say colourful people and nods, smiles and says: "Let us go"


The baron and his retinue take the lead of the group and you set out on foot towards the iron gates


(ooc: feel free to talk among yourselves and get to know each other a bit)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 08, 2012, 11:49:23 AM
Auris

Auris makes sure he ends up at the back of the group, with some of the adventurers who aren't in the baron's permanent employ and out of earshot of the baron. Time to get an idea of potential allies in the fight against the baron's fine print.

"Hello gentlemen!

It looks like we find ourselves colleagues on this fine morning. My name is Auris, trader and advisor by profession, adventurer by choice. Whom do I have the pleasure to join in this expedition?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 08, 2012, 01:34:38 PM
Mobius
 
The gnome, or is it a dwarf?  It's hard to tell if it's a short dwarf or a gnome with heavy dwarven heritage, speaks up, "Mornin' Auris.  Name's Mobius.  I've various, uh, skills that lend well to this type of...  endeavor." 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 08, 2012, 11:38:55 PM
"Hello Auris and Mobius, pleased to meet you; I'm Richard, Richard Stone-heart. I came on this expedition to finish buying a new pair of boots and find myself a magic sword. Beside that am not very pleased with the prospect of treading the accursed sands of Gorgoroth. As long as it does not take us to the ruins of the Dark Tower of the Enemy of Old that's good."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 09, 2012, 12:11:10 PM
Auris

"Well, pleased to meet you, Mobius - we should have an ale together at the next stop. I sense we have some experiences to share. And good to meet you too, Richard. We'll need skills and magic alike when operating in the dark lands. Not to mention to make it out again - no matter what the baron said, may you earn a magical sword on this adventure as nice as your boots!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 09, 2012, 01:34:07 PM
Mobius
 
We'll definitely have to do something about that particular point of the contract.  All in good time.  Mobius thought, "Well met, Richard.  Either way, this venture should prove... profitable, shall we say?" lowering his voice (and adding a knowing wink) so the Baron and his retinue don't hear, "We shall have to talk when an opportunity presents itself. "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 09, 2012, 06:32:46 PM
One of the bodyguard looks back and gives you a suspicious glance...you're pretty sure he didn't hear anything, but you can tell he doesn't appreciate the whispering
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 09, 2012, 09:15:29 PM
Mobius
 
He continues, "I will be relieved to finally payoff my creditors with the riches gained from this excursion to the wastelands beyond."  He sees the guard glaring and responds with a look of bewildered confusion regarding the guard's glare.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 12, 2012, 06:14:44 PM
Auris

Auris gives the guard a name in the back of his mind: Guard A, for annoying. A minute or three after the guard turns back his head, Auris turns to Mobius, and says "Well well, looks like we are well protected!". He gives Mobius a friendly slap on the back, whispers quickly and very, very lowly "that's another one we need to take care off" then falls back a few steps more to the next bunch of people, some humans and the dwarf who wore scale armor in the inn.

"Goodmorning gentlemen!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Grixis on May 14, 2012, 11:50:08 AM
as the group continues their travel. grixis approaches mobius.

So good Mobius. can i call you Mobius? nevermind. It is time we formally met. My name is Grixis. (an elf). I am from Citadel. quite an adventure we're on here huh. i saw u speaking to the halfling. you seemed to have caught the attention of the hired muscle before even i did. well, just remember i am on your side when it matters. and with a wink he walks away.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 14, 2012, 01:36:50 PM
Mobius
 
Gives a slight nod to Gixisalmost simultaneously as his wink.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 14, 2012, 05:02:28 PM
After the initial joy of adventure, the mood darkens as the grass underneath your feet gives way to barren sand...a reminder of the great battle. Nothing has grown there ever since and all you can see are once in a while are bone remains of orcs, or some great beast...

It doesn't take more than an hour to cover the battle field and reach the iron gates. These immense structures bar the entrance to the dark lands. They used to be operated by two mountain giants, but since they were slain, the gates are simply too heavy to operate. Instead the have been put in a permanent open position, with just enough room to allow a column of two riders access. In front of the gates a wooden fort has been erected that guards the opening in the gates.

As you approach the gates the baron turns back a commands: "you lot keep quiet, let me do all the talking"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 14, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
Mobius quietly prepares a suggestion spell and holds it in case the Baron runs into trouble.  Noble amatuers, he thinks derisively.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 14, 2012, 10:40:32 PM
As you approach the fort, two guards snap to attention. There doesn't seem to be a lot of men on the ground, but when you glance up, you can see quite a number of archers ready to attack whatever attempts to enter or exit the gate without permission.

The first guard halts the party and asks: "What is your business in the darklands"
the baron responds: "We're going to survey some sites"
Guard: "Which sites are those"
The Baron:"Just some ruins"
Guard:"The kings is not keen anymore for any treasure hunters"
The Baron: "Well, I guess the king won't mind too much if a couple of adventurers get themselves killed now will he"

The baron then hands over a small pouch with coins, the guards looks it over and smiles

Guard: "Well as long as you don't expect us to come rescue you"

He then semi-bored waves you to go through
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 14, 2012, 10:52:15 PM
As you enter the gates you are treated to a most bleak and troubled sight. If you thought the sand was a depressing view, you can swiftly see the sand turn into grey ashes...in the distance you can see the remnants of mount doom...all you can see are barren rocks...here and there are some plants that seem to hold on for dear life, and which you think will pretty sure be poisonous.

The baron doesn't waste any time...he wants to make as much miles as possible for nightfall, so you set yourself for a brisk pace. Every once in a while a gust of wind blows nasty ashes up your noses and it doesn't take long for everyone to be covered in an ever so thin layer of ash...you also quickly learn to cover your nose and eyes as best as possible, for the ashes burn you...

You seem to be travelling in a straight line towards the remnants of mount doom. As night starts to fall, you come across what appears to be an old destroyed orc fortress that guarded a piece of road, or a crossroad or some sorts. It carries some traces of campfires and such, so you gather you're not the first to use this as a resting place for the night.

One of the guards, says: "well boys, I hope you brought warm clothes, for there's not going to be a fire for us...we'll be a target for whatever lurks in the dark. The boss has given you lots an expensive gift you should be grateful for and should keep you fed for the duration of the trip."

He unpacks some small packages of food. When you open it, you find some elven waybread, which is indeed quite expensive and when eaten in small pieces will sustain you for a long time. You settle in for cold night.

One of the bodyguards looks at the group and says: "Well, why don't we introduce each other" My name is Borek, originally from the mountainfolk up north, decided it was better weather down here...enlisted, but after some boring years of guarding city walls, I decided to guard the baron...pays much better and you gets to see the world" he smiles
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 15, 2012, 01:14:52 AM
Duror


"Well Met, Borek. I am Duror of House Aegol, Heir to the Ruby Hammer of Kos." 



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 15, 2012, 07:34:07 AM
Borek

"So you got yourself a house then eh?...you some sort of Baron as well? You don't look like one...and this ruby hammer, must be mighty expensive, if somewhat useless in battle i'd think"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 15, 2012, 01:00:05 PM
Duror

Duror laughs deeply at Borek's jibes, "Ha! Once I reclaim the Ruby Hammer, the same weapon that slew the Demon Agazonix at the Battle of Woes, you will see how useless it is!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 15, 2012, 02:07:50 PM
Auris

"I've heard of such legendary hammers of old - I'd rather not quarrel with someone wielding those!" Auris makes a small bow for Duror. "But since we're obviously without such great artifacts just yet, I hope our employer has a few tricks up his sleeve as well. As I assume we're not here to hunt old widows, right, Borek?" Auris adds a wink for good measure.

Borek - interestingly enough, 'guard B', would that be luck or a sign? - looks more like a man who follows for pay than for loyalty. And that would be handy as the prospect of a battle after the battle - the one over the spoils - never fades from Auris memory. Even though there was no clue at all yet what exactly they were doing here in the first place. Ah well, all in good time.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 15, 2012, 02:16:36 PM
Mobius
 
"Well met Borek and Duror.  I'm Mobius, a simple man of humble means just trying to make his way in the world." He takes a small piece of the waybread, "Thank you for the generous gift Baron." 
 
A quizical look comes over his face, "Just a question out of curiousity, Baron...  Being a man of humble means, this steel," patting the rapier at his side, "is of humble means as well.  Should we run into anything that requires something more... potent to kill it, would you consider letting us borrow any items that are found to fight off said nasty beasties?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 15, 2012, 07:55:15 PM
Borek

@Duror: "Buh, and you get to wield this one day? I gotta sees that first"

@ Auris: "You're not afraid there now are you...we might run into some orcs or goblins...you consider them a bit over your head?" He laughs out loud...resulting in one of the other guards hushing him. Then in a lower voice: "Just kidding eh...I'm sure you can take care of yourself"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 15, 2012, 07:56:43 PM
Baron

Looks slightly annoyed: "I expect that you come properly prepared...thats what I'm paying you for"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 15, 2012, 09:39:45 PM
Mobius
 
Looking back at the Baron sternly (and sounding annoyed), "Are you suggesting that we will only face threats that you are aware of?  Have you scouted the area thoroughly and can guarantee that the monstrosities we will face are known?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 15, 2012, 11:10:53 PM
Baron

Now very authorative: "Unless you want to walk back alone, you will refrain from addressing me in such a way again!" The situation suddenly becomes very tense. You can see the guards eyeing the group to see if anyone makes a sudden move. Even Borek instantly loses the smile on his face...

The baron continues: "As I said, me and the lads are prepared for whatever may come. I pay you to be as prepared...I trust you don't have a problem with that"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 16, 2012, 09:10:33 AM
Auris

Auris looks with frowned eyes towards Mobius, Gryxis, Duror and Richard. A frown like 'there's no reasoning with that guy'.

"Well then, my idea of a good preparation is a good night's rest! Good night!"

Auris retires (putting some waybread he hadn't eaten yet in his pocket, without anyone seeing it) and makes himself comfortable as best as he can. He pretends to sleep, but doesn't; his eyes may be closed, his ears are wide open.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 16, 2012, 01:36:53 PM
Mobius
 
Closes his eyes while he takes a deep breath to calm down before opening them (and hoping there's at least some reasoning with this arrogant bastard), "I merely stated that my physical weapon is mundane.  I, however, am prepared with other skills to assist in this endeavor.  Since I am a man of humble means, how is it that I am supposed to have magical items that cost well beyond my humble means?  I was inquiring to the ability of myself (and others if necessary) to use, only temporarily, any weapons of a magical nature that would help us fight off any creatures not affected by mundane weapons.  Those weapons found would remain your possession and merely increase the chances of your safe return."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 17, 2012, 07:30:35 AM
The Baron refrains from answering that question

Instead Borek responds laughingly: "Well seems you'll be in quite the pickle when we run into ghosties...but don't worry we can always use you as fodder to delay them, so me and the lads can dispose of them" He bursts out in laughter and the other guards (except the bodyguards) laugh too. "But don't worry, if we run into somethin, its bound to be some orcsies...although you probably prefer some goblins eh...more your size" He laughs again..."Just teasin you thats all...we'll be fine..." He then takes out a flask and takes a sip...then offers it to mobius "Drink?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 17, 2012, 01:39:07 PM
Mobius
 
Stands up, taking a canteen out of his cloak and leaves, "I don't drink with fools."

He walks over to Auris and prepares his bedroll, "Perhaps we should scout this ruin for anything that might disturb the baron's sleep?  Wouldn't want anything to go bump in the night and wake him up, now would we?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 17, 2012, 02:37:32 PM
Auris

Whispers lowly "No, we wouldn't want His Importance dead in the morning. I'll join you in scouting out the environment - and I also have another small job to do to ensure everyone in this group operates on a more equal footing.... But let them retire for the night first"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 17, 2012, 04:26:08 PM
Mobius
 
"Aye.  We'd best check in with the Baron before we begin scouting so he doesn't get suspicious of our activities."
 
He walks back to Borek, "Auris and I are going to scout the rest of this ruin to ensure no goblins are resident to come and slit the Baron's throat.  I'm sure nothing is here, but it's always good to make sure."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 19, 2012, 05:43:43 AM
The baron makes a casual wave, which says as much as "go ahead, just dont bother me"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 21, 2012, 10:26:01 AM
Auris gets up, yawns for dramatic effect, and grabs his gear - though not amounting to much, a dagger and some gloves might come in handy for what he has in mind.

As soon as Mobius and he are well away, he halts.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 21, 2012, 04:46:19 PM
Auris

What the .... ?! Instead of seeing more, he sees virtually nothing at all, and is unsteady on his feet. Something is wrong, but if its the surroundings, some nefarious influence of the baron or just his halfling and gnome sides in conflict he cannot tell. Not a good start of the night....

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 22, 2012, 04:06:43 PM
Suddenly there is some movement in the corner of the fortress...near where Mobius and Auris are standing
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 22, 2012, 05:53:52 PM
Mobius
 
"Auris, did you see that!?  I didn't get a good look at it."  Leave it to the professionals to be incompetent, he thought as he went to the area of activity to investigate further.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 22, 2012, 06:07:32 PM
Auris follows Mobius closely. "Whatever it was, it apparently managed to throw me off balance". Better put as decent a spin on it as possible, he thought. "I'm starting to come around to your point of view - it's not just the terms of the contract at the end that stink; with such brazen carelessness getting there will be hard enough too".

Anyway, let's see if there is more vermin here.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 22, 2012, 06:14:27 PM
Mobius
 
When they get close Mobius puts out a hand to stop Auris, "Careful.  I want a look at the tracks it left.  Whatever it was, it wasn't using magic, though." In a low voice that only Auris can hear, "Don't worry mate.  My dwarven heritage might be stronger than yours.  I've got other talents that helped as well." Mobius taps his temple and grins.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 22, 2012, 07:40:08 PM
The others hear the movement too. The baron looks in the darkness and says to Borek "Go check it out and see if it are those two making the noise, or whether we had company"

The two bodyguards stand up, with their hands on their swords, while the other guards look around attentively without getting up
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 22, 2012, 09:40:35 PM
Mobius carefully inspects the area making sure to not disturb particular areas of the ground.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 23, 2012, 01:33:50 PM
Mobius

Hearing the others approach he stands up, "The visitor we had is moving out post haste.  From the glimpse I got of it, I'd wager it as some kind of scout.  Do we pursue?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 23, 2012, 01:45:42 PM
Auris

"Yes!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 23, 2012, 08:05:45 PM
Borek peers into the darkness, squints and says..."Well, we'll probably won't find him anymore in the dark...and I would hate to get lost out there in the dark wilderness...let's just hope that whoever he was scouting for isn't nearby...did you get a look at what it was?...was it an orc, goblin, other nasty?"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 23, 2012, 08:58:17 PM
Mobius
 
"It was a runt of an orc.  You can see that it was on all fours here." he indicates the position where it was at, "Should also give you an indication of the size to."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 23, 2012, 09:04:58 PM
Richard keeps close to the bedded group pondering on what he's gotten himself in. ...wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant... Barad-dûr, fortress of Sauron. How many levels underneath," he wonders.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 23, 2012, 10:09:00 PM
Borek

"Hmmm...we'd better set up guards for the night then...could become nasty tonight...better sleep with one eye open lads"

He walks back to the baron to inform him, leaving Mobius and Auris alone

At the bedded group Borek speaks:

"We've been visited by an orc scout of sorts...it got away, so we'd better prepare for the worst for tonight and have double guards...the rest of you lot sleep with one eye open."

The Baron responds:

"Allright, I want one of my guards with one of you lot on guard at any time. If any of you has any ward spells or trapping skills, this would be a good time to use them"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 23, 2012, 10:39:05 PM
Richard

"I can make the watch of the middle night (evening-night-dawn); that's when problems will come if they do," he guesses.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 24, 2012, 08:37:55 AM
Borek

"Ok, the rest of you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 24, 2012, 09:53:39 AM
In the meantime, away from the bedded group, Auris sneaks out of the side of the ruins, looking for some items...
(leaving Mobius behind, hoping this will be quick)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 24, 2012, 11:34:11 AM
Auris.

Nothing. Auris heads out further into the open field, counting on the cover of darkness.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 24, 2012, 02:03:36 PM
Duror

After having drunk too much ale, Duror wakes from his deep slumber to the commotion in the camp. He dons his armor and readies his weapons.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 24, 2012, 04:47:41 PM
Still staying hidden, Auris makes it over to a nearby source of water. It reeks mightily, but may hold what he is after.

But no, no water, no usable plants, nothing. Maybe this was an orc cesspit which has given 'life' to some indeterminate bushes.

Auris wonders if it's worth all the trouble. If he wanted to kill the baron, yes, a sleepless night would be worth it to get rid of the annoying brat. But there would be no point in that just yet. And there will be other ways to execute his plan.

He heads back to the camp, and tries to find himself a corner out of sight to lie down.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 27, 2012, 08:52:18 PM
Borek

@ Duror: "Whoa their lad...we're not being attacked just yet...but (he smiles) I can tell you're eager to stand guard...why don't you take the first turn with me...richard can take second turn

@ all: "Any takers for the third watch?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 28, 2012, 01:41:08 AM
Duror


To Borek, "Aye, I'll stand guard with thee."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 28, 2012, 09:56:18 AM
Borek gives Duror a nod
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 29, 2012, 01:25:12 PM
Mobius
 
"I'll take the last watch and greet the sun as it rises."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 30, 2012, 02:56:06 PM
Mobius
 
Mobius grins mischievously as he volunteers Auris, "Auris over there'll be pleased to take third watch."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 30, 2012, 03:12:04 PM
Auris grumbles.

"Whatever. We now have more volunteers than watches, no doubt because you snore so loudly! Wake me if and when it's time."

Auris turns around on his other ear, again pretending sleep.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 30, 2012, 06:21:04 PM
Borek

Scratches himself behind the ear: "So we take 4 watches?" he shrugs "Ok, fine by me"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 30, 2012, 07:30:37 PM
Mobius
 
"Seems wise.  Everyone on watch gets more rest and less likely to sleep during their watch, no?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 06, 2012, 07:27:50 PM
The first three watches appear to have gone by uneventfully and Mobius is awaken by Auris, who appears restless and generally annoyed by the fact that they're shadowed by the Baron's guard at all times

Halfway through Mobius' watch he kind of expects the sky to become lighter as the sun should rise, but all remains eerily dark and cold...in the distance he can hear some rustling
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 06, 2012, 07:42:30 PM
Auris

After waking Mobius, Arius goes to the edge of the camp. The guard that follows him gets an annoyed look, and Auris says: "If you want to guard me while I'm taking a dump, you're welcome to it. I'm sure you like the smell"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 06, 2012, 07:53:49 PM
The guard shrugs and goes to take a last nap before morning call
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 06, 2012, 09:43:28 PM
Mobius
 
Shakes his head at Auris as he climbs out of his bedroll and wraps it up.  He peers into the darkness from where the rustling comes from.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 06, 2012, 10:38:49 PM
Mobius sees movement in some undergrowth in the distance
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 07, 2012, 12:59:32 PM
In the meantime, Auris carefully proceeds to the shrubs in the distance, using the features of the terrain to remain as hidden as possible, and occasionally halting to see if there's anything around.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 07, 2012, 01:37:36 PM
Mobius
 
Sneaks towards the disturbance in the distance from a different direction as Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 07, 2012, 02:18:18 PM
OOC: Auris is not moving towards your disturbance, but is going somewhere else
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 07, 2012, 02:19:46 PM
Mobius is able to approach the disturbance silently. As it comes near what appears to be a group of poisonous bushes, he can see several of the branches moving, but cant quite see what is making the disturbance
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 07, 2012, 04:46:16 PM
Mobius
 
Probably just a couple of squirrels cavorting, but Uncle Moriarty always taught to verify, so here goes...
 
He takes a deep breath and begins to concentrate.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 08, 2012, 03:42:39 PM
Auris gathers a couple of handfuls of shrubs - it looks like those will do nicely enough, once he gets them in the bellies of his targets.

After collecting the mats, he heads back to camp, still cautious, as he cannot feel at ease in these surroundings.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 11, 2012, 02:28:08 PM
Mobius senses something sentient in the bushes
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 11, 2012, 06:03:01 PM
Mobius
 
Draws his rapier and begins poking about the bush.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 12, 2012, 08:32:46 AM
Something hisses and a big snake lunges out of the bushes. It misses Mobius by a hair, but then recoils and gets ready for another vicious attack, all the while hissing angrily
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 13, 2012, 01:40:15 AM
Duror

Having completed his watch, Duror decides to look around the camp before getting some food and drink.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 13, 2012, 09:26:24 AM
The camp looks like a simple rectangular orc fortress which at one time had a stone base walls and wooden top. Not much remains, except for parts of the stone base, which provides you with some cover from the wind and elements.

Prickly bushes have sprung up here and there, but not much else is available, except for what you gather to be remains of campfires. This location is probably used more often by other adventuring groups entering the dark lands
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 13, 2012, 10:52:28 AM
In the meantime, Auris sneaks back to the camp. He takes a look where the horses are kept, then stealthily enters the camp, his 'harvest' well hidden.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 13, 2012, 03:13:56 PM
Noting that only one guard is present on the outskirts, but Mobius is nowhere in sight, he approaches Duror.

"Mornin' Duror. Have you seen Mobius? I think he took my favorite ale-cup. Now if he used it as a bedpan, he has good reason to be far away, but it's morning, so I'm not quite that pessimistic yet..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 14, 2012, 02:34:47 AM
Duror

"Sorry, no, I do not know where Mobius is. He might have wandered off." 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 14, 2012, 06:54:17 AM
Auris

"Going off for personal glory while on watch! As if we'd like him better if he returned with 3 smelly orc skulls on his belt! That, or he got kidnapped by those same orcs. Wouldn't suprise me one bit."

And, as an afterthought, in a lower voice "but what is a lost compagnion more or less for us who've lost so much we've yet to reclaim".

Auris sighs, and looks at the sun. Or tries too, as sunrise didn't produce much additional light, as to illustrate the poor progress.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 16, 2012, 11:25:31 PM
Duror

To Aurius- "Aye, my watch is done. I'd be game to track down our missing companion, if he hasn't gotten himself killed or lost!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 17, 2012, 10:31:11 AM
Auris

To Duror: "I wouldn't be surprised to find he managed both! Nevertheless, we better look out for him. First things first though, let's ask the guard who shared his watch."

Auris set off towards the sole remaining guard.

"Morning. I'm looking for Mobius, he's got my ale mug. Now he was supposed to stand watch with you, but is nowhere to be seen. Do you have any ideas about his whereabouts?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 18, 2012, 06:15:12 PM
Mobius
 
Sheathes his sword and shakes his hand as he heads back to camp a short distance away.  He shows up massaging the palm of his hand with the thumb of his left and tries to shake feeling back into it.  Seeing Auris and Duror, "Morning.  Had a run in with a snake in that bush back there," He motions with his left hand in a single shake before resuming his massaging, "What did you do during your watch to piss the thing off, Auris?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 18, 2012, 11:18:08 PM
Duror

(with a deep dwarf chuckle)- "Ha! Snakes? Is that it? Where are all these nasties the Baron hinted at? I'm sure we'll come across them soon enough."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 19, 2012, 05:25:04 AM
Auris

"Ah, Mobius, glad you survived that encounter. Now walk back with me to your stuff and give me back my favorite ale-mug, I believe it ended up in your hands last night"

When out of earshot of the rest, he continues in a low voice to Mobius:

"That ale-mug is of course nonsense. We still need to instill some sense of seriousness into the group here, especially after you mentioned that snake, or this entire enterprise will end with us being orc-lunch. Now I have a plan, but I need you to keep the guards busy for a while, they follow me like a Citadel beggar. Also keep Duror focussed on you, as he's awake, Richard still sleeps by the look of it, so let him. You don't need to come up with much, 10 to 15 minutes would be enough, just focus them in that direction." Auris points almost diameterically away from the horses.

"What do you say?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 19, 2012, 01:35:20 PM
Mobius
 
Continuing the low tone, "And just what do you have planned for the horses?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 19, 2012, 02:51:47 PM
Auris

"I see you figured out in which direction I do not want to have them looking." Auris grins. "Very smart and perceptive. Let's put it this way. since we're on foot anyway, the group as a whole won't be slowed down one bit if some 'Orcs' startle the horses. Heck, if I give them enough of a fright, they might blunder right into a few orc runts - we know that some of them are about; better have them while they think we're weak rather than facing an entire troup. And having to kill a few runts to reclaim his precious horseflesh will do a lot more to convince our baron to throw up some magical defenses than a run-in with a snake. No offense, but I fear that caused more laughing behind your back than anything else."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 19, 2012, 06:14:52 PM
Mobius
 
"Eh.  Heard rustling in the bush.  Investigated and the snake became an entanglement.  Nothing I couldn't handle, so I did.  It happens.  So why the rush to get this little... operation done now rather than say... tonight?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 20, 2012, 06:47:12 AM
Auris

"Well, why do something tonight what you can do this morning, an associate of mine used to say." Which is why I made my move the night before, so it was he who had to sort out that customs dispute. "For all we know, we'll be at our destination before nightfall, and in all kinds of trouble. You can say one thing about the baron, and that is that he was in an awful rush to get here."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 20, 2012, 05:11:20 PM
Mobius
 
Begins raising his voice (to bridge the widening gap between himself and Auris) as he walks towards his pack, "I believe you're mistaken Auris.  You were returning my cup to me.  I'll double check for you, just to prove you wrong."  He kneels down to rummages about in his pack for the cup.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 21, 2012, 08:23:30 AM
Richard gets up to relieve his vitals and seeing the other characters asks Mobius, Duror and Auris if everything is going well. "No Orcs?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 21, 2012, 08:57:22 AM
Auris

"Morning Richard. No more orcs would be true - for now. These lands were content to throw some smaller vermin our way this night. I doubt we'll make it unscathed through this new day though"

Auris returns to his belongings, carefully stowing the package he gathered away. This will be a long-drawn out affair. Maybe tonight will give better opportunities - if the orcs don't make their move first. Perhaps that runt and his own dismal reaction to it threw Auris of balance a bit more than he cared to admit - even to himself.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 27, 2012, 07:47:49 AM
All the talking has woken up the baron, who glances around annoyed. He barks some orders to his retinue and camp is broken up and the group makes ready to go.

Given the darkness that is still all around you, you can't make much out in the distance, but slowly but surely some form of light returns to these god forsaken lands. The almost flat sandy plains start to change in somewhat more rugged country, with rocky outcroppings and here and there some prickly bushes. That said, water is still scarse and so is life...

ooc: What do you guys do, where do you walk, etc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 27, 2012, 02:28:43 PM
Mobius
 
After he's done packing his gear he gets up shaking his hand a little hoping to shake feeling back into it.  He approaches the Baron, "Since you're the one what knows where the treasure is, where to boss?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 28, 2012, 06:35:07 AM
Baron

"Just get back in line and follow us"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 28, 2012, 06:37:58 AM
One of the bodyguards turns and stops Mobius, he taps him on the chest and looks him sternly in the eyes and says: "You will address the Baron with 'my lord'...understood!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 28, 2012, 02:03:00 PM
Mobius
 
Undaunted, Mobius looks the guard steadily in the eyes and asks sardonically, "And how should us peons address your vaunted self?  Sire perhaps?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 28, 2012, 02:39:39 PM
The guard pushes mobius away and says, "don't push me you worthless piece of scum"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 28, 2012, 03:46:41 PM
Mobius
 
Smiles victoriously as he takes a couple of small steps backward while watching the guard leave.  He then turns to find Richard and Auris.  Upon finding them he speaks softly, "I think I've found who's working latrines for a while."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 28, 2012, 07:57:40 PM
Auris

Auris, who had quietly packed his belongings and kept a low profile, couldn't be more interested when he saw Mobius approaching - the guy clearly had something to share. And Mobius would, from now on, be of interest to Auris; after all, he was the one who he confided in - up to a point. Chance produced a sequence of events that lead to Mobius' advise being followed; that might be seen as some trust in Mobius' judgement on Auris his part. Which was nonsense of course, but everyone is entitled to his illusions, and there'd be no harm at all in Mobius taking the lead.

Auris listens, and replies, in an equally low voice: "Well, I'd be sorely disappointed to see you cleaning latrines, especially if I'd be forced to join you. And our esteemed adventurer-in-chief, chamberlain of the badlands and ruler of all magic - Auris winks - shall certainly not be cleaning latrines, nor his underlings - they wouldn't have to as, all that comes out of them, would be pure gold! But joking aside, I reckon that you got further proof we have more than orcs to deal with on this journey?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 28, 2012, 08:33:34 PM
Mobius
 
"Aye.  The Baron's incompetence is going to kill everyone here if we're not careful.  We'll have to see how smart the retained muscle is, though.  Shall we see what the rest of the day holds, eh?"  He nudges Auris with his elbow and works his way over to Richard for the march to camp 2.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 28, 2012, 09:10:13 PM
Richard

"I wonder what he's after. The danger point for us will probably be when he has found it and needs no compromising eyes with him no more. Then we'll have to be careful that he does not dispatch us to the other world," says Richard quietly to Mobius and Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 29, 2012, 06:40:15 AM
Auris

"Worse even, right now, with him and all the supplies mounted, he could simply cut his losses and make a run for it the minute he sees some orcs he cannot handle, and leave us to rot or become a tasty orc dinner. Though I believe their idea of tasty also involves rotting... Anyway, Richard, Mobius, we need to stick together for this one." In for a penny, in for a pound, he thought. And then, lowering his voice a tad more, he continues: "and it would suit me quite well if we didn't make too much progress today, we need some time before we arrive at our final destination, wherever that may be, or we might lack for time before things get really dicey."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 29, 2012, 07:23:13 AM
And with that starts another boring track over the ash covered plains of the badlands...when sunlight returns to the darklands (albeit behind dark ash clouds), you can see that you're basically moving in a straight line towards the ruined tower of the dark lord and mount desolation behind it...

As the scenery becomes more rugged, with chasms and rocky outcrops here and there, you notice that where you're walking remains remarkably flat. On further inspection you realise you're walking on the old main road  from the iron gates to the the tower. The old fortress you stayed at, was probably a waypoint along the route and more likely than not you will arrive at another one at nightfall.

ooc: what do you guys do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 29, 2012, 07:37:58 AM
Auris

Auris walks quietly with the group, a bit to the back. Let Mobius or Richard make the next move, then he'd finish it off during the night. In the meantime he whistles a tune, over and over again. Not loud enough to be audible at the front, but enough to deter immediate company. And if it would annoy the nearest horse, all the better.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 29, 2012, 10:09:46 PM
Mobius
 
Let's Auris walk alone for a while then slowly drifts back to him.  Quietly, "Richard's question got me thinkin' about yonder noble.  You know anything about him?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 30, 2012, 07:14:27 AM
Auris

"About his exaltedness himself, we never crossed paths." Or at least, I can't recall it, Auris thought, for which he cursed himself. Continuing: "But his family, I definately had some ... dealings with them during my years in the Citadel. The features are unmistakable. Not a particularly pleasant bunch, and not above taking out servantgirls who put up too much of a fight or feeding a few fingers of those who annoyed them to the dogs. Not that they'd ever do something like that personally, of course, but their underlings were definately short on subtelty and patience, and long on arrogance and violence."

Which, Auris again added in his mind, had thankfully been directed at other people; he once thought about blackmailing what must have been some sort of relative of this baron for his smuggling operation. Hiding in the basement of that mansion for weeks, he had seen a few rapes and a murder, and when he finally figured out where they hid their black magic artefacts (instead of handing them over), he was all to glad to get out again. And then he sold that secret to an associate of sorts. He had ended particularly badly, poor Struzach. Ah well, that was the art of the trade, of course. To do only those things that were profitable, and leave the stuff that gets you killed to others. And at least three of his colleagues had experienced that over the years. Which was in itself very risky, as they always could betray you. In fact, that he wasn't ratted out on that occasion was only explicable if the hired muscle killed Struzach before interrogating him.

"And long on stupidty as well", Auris added to Mobius, with a sigh.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 02, 2012, 12:21:48 AM
Duror,

Will continue on the march and wil make camp when the march rests. He is content to take in the surroundings of the badlands and stay alert in case of ambush or attack.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 02, 2012, 09:08:23 AM
The afternoon passes by without any sign of life whatsoever. For those who have any knowledge of agriculture, you can tell this is potentially very fertile vulcanic land...if only there was water or less evil. As you move along, the number of rocks and crevises increase. You consider that these rocks must be from a eruption of mount doom. Considering that the vulcano is roughly two days travel on foot, this must have been quite an impressive explosion that caused this. The crevises must have been caused by a chain of earthquakes. The smaller ones you can easily jump over, or move around...some have ancient bridges built on top, so apparently are very old. Some of the newer larger ones have rope bridges, so after the fall of the dark lord, someone decided to keep the main road at least somewhat passable.

 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 02, 2012, 09:39:52 AM
You come across a large ancient bridge over a massive crevice...it is quite a wide bridge, most of the ancient ones are, so must have been made large enough to transport an army.

As you cross the bridge, Duror sees below some caverns exciting into the crevice...he sees something moving and before you know it, a black feathered crossbow bolt strikes one of the Baron's retinue in the neck...he gurgles before collapsing on the bridge. Immediately the baron touches an amulet on his chest and he's enveloped in magical armor...and not a moment too soon, for another bolt bounces off the armor not moments later. The Baron's two bodyguards, cast a spell and two magical shields appear in front of them, while both unsheath two handed swords. The other guards also draw their weapons, while another crossbow bolt strikes one of your fellow adventurers in the leg...he drops to his knee, screaming in agony. Other bolts fly from below the bridge, but luckily miss their target.

As you try to orientate you can see dark figures climbing on top of the bridge on both sides...orcs

ooc: please roll initiative and declare action. Duror can act first, as he spotted the ambush (albeit too late) and is the only one that has noticed the caverns beneath the bridge.


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 02, 2012, 12:28:42 PM
Auris

Seeing that his sling would be of little use against orcs with helmets and shields, Auris grabs his dagger and jumps behind the nearest rock (or is it a piece of decayed masonry?) to be out of sight and out of reach of any stray arrows. 'Let them come, I'll take them from behind if they pass me; size can work in different ways...'
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 02, 2012, 12:56:50 PM
Auris frantically looks for cover on the bridge, but finds none...not even a railing...its a flat stone bridge...he could use the Baron's horse for cover...at least from one side
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 02, 2012, 01:11:32 PM
Auris

On second thought, no cover. crap. Not wanting to be too close to the baron, he gets close to the other hired aventurers.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 02, 2012, 01:41:08 PM
Richard readies his shield for cover from the bows and unsheathes his longsword for the upcoming fight.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 02, 2012, 10:51:20 PM
Duror


Seeing the orcs climbing up the bridge, Duror is going to close on the nearest orc and attack with his warhammer and defend with his shield.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 03, 2012, 07:03:25 AM
Auris

As Auris realises this will be a desperate fight, he decides to at least try and take out an orc before the hand-to-hand combat begins. He switches to his sling, using one of the sharp stones he always carries for munition.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 03, 2012, 07:34:15 AM
The Baron quickly assesses the fight then shouts: "Get off this bridge NOW!, follow me" and spurs his horse into a charge towards the orcs at the front end (where you were moving to) of the bridge...his retinue quickly follows in a run...

ooc: do you follow, stay, or attack the orcs at the back of the bridge. please not it will take two turns on foot to reach an opponent.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 03, 2012, 11:04:55 AM
Richard follows the baron, charging any Orc in his way.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 03, 2012, 11:59:33 AM
Auris

Seeing Richard following the baron's command and Mobius about to do the same, Auris follows them, running somewhat bent over to reduce his profile - and the target area - even more.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 03, 2012, 12:59:59 PM
Will follow the Baron to the front of the bridge. Won't throw my hammer, but will run to meet the nearest orc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 03, 2012, 03:32:19 PM
Mobius
 
Takes a moment to assess the situation then scurries after everyone else at a faster pace than seems his legs should carry him.  When he reaches everyone else he turns to face his pursuers.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 04, 2012, 08:28:16 AM
Unfortunately the Mobius' spell fails, so he remains in the middle of the bridge.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 04, 2012, 08:49:07 AM
At the beginning of round 2, this is the situation:

The baron has reached the orcs and can attack first
Everyone, except mobius and the immobilised adventurer is running towards the front of the bridge. They need to keep running this round in order to reach the orcs
Mobius is in the centre of the bridge, after a failed spell.

The orcs have finished climbing on top op the bridge. The ones at the front (8 in total) are readying themselves for the charge of the baron

The orcs at the back are starting their run towards the front of the bridge. They will be able to attack Mobius in round 4 and attack anyone at the front of the bridge at round 6, unless opposed in any way.

The shooters are ready for another volley
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 04, 2012, 09:10:42 AM
Round 2:

The baron is quite effective in his attack. He effectively breaks through the rough formation and cuts down one orc. He the rides on not to get stuck in combat and will circle around ready for another charge attack in round 4

The shooters then loosen another 3 bolts. One strikes a guard mortally in the side...he collapses screaming in agony...he will die in 9 rounds. The second strikes richard in the chest. He is very lucky he's parrying with his shield...he deflects a nasty shot to his chest, the arrow flies upwards and nicks his chin for 10 hits. Grixis gets the third shot. He receives 12 hits.

please indicate actions and roll appropriately for round 2 in your personal threads. (please note that in principle everyone, except Mobius continues running towards the front of the bridge for round 2)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 05, 2012, 12:49:15 PM
Auris realises he doesn't hear the distinctive gait of Mobius. He looks over his shoulder, and sees that Mobius is still behind, wrestling with some spell. He decides that this is the time to take some chances, and stops running. He takes his sling, and gets off a shot to the orc closest to Mobius. Then he turns again, preparing to resume the run. In order to keep moving he uses hands and legs to turn faster make himself a more difficult target.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 05, 2012, 03:58:00 PM
Mobius
 
Upon feeling the energies slip away from him, he turns and runs after everyone else.  While he runs he begins preparing a nice suprise for the orcs pursuing him and the others.  A soft chuckle escapes as he sprints for the safety of the band of adventurers.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 05, 2012, 04:24:10 PM
Rest of round 2:

Everyone runs towards the front of the bridge (including Mobius), except for Auris, who stops to provide Mobius with some sling shot cover. He hits the orc in front coming towards them. He hits him, but he hits him square on the chain armor. The orc flinches a bit, but runs along (7 hits)

Situation at the end of round 2:
The baron has cleared the orc line.
The remaining bodyguards and guards have reached the orc line. And will charge into them. Unfortunately the created bottleneck prevents any of the adventurers, incl PCs to attack the orcs on round 3
The orcs at the back will reach the position of Mobius and Auris on round 5
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 05, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
Round 3:

The baron is circling back this round and will be able to attack the orcs from the back in round 4
The guards attack the orcs and visa versa
The orc shooters are reloading
The orcs in the back continue to run

OOC: please roll initiative, indicate actions and roll accordingly in your personal thread
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 05, 2012, 08:27:15 PM
Since there is no space for Richard to attack the Orcs at the front, he'll run to Mobius and Auris and fight those Orcs that bring up the rear if it is clear that they'll not be able to outrun them.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 11, 2012, 04:19:18 PM
Auris

Time for one more shot. However, that last one didnt do much, so Auris looks for a new target. The point of helping Mobius has been made, time to do something that has more chance of success - hopefully..... He sees one of the archers that was shooting at the party, and uses his sling again, sending a nice sharp edged rock in his direction.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 17, 2012, 08:40:11 PM
Richard attacks the Orcs that come in the rear.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2012, 08:26:49 AM
Rest/end of round 3:

Front of the bridge:
- The baron's guard do another round of melee with the orcs: one of the bodyguard is going head to head with the orc leader, the other bodyguard cuts one of the orcs in two with a massive overhead blow
- The baron sets himself up for a charge in round 4
- Richard is running towards the middle of the bridge, he is now at 3/4 of the bridge and will reach the middle at the end of round 4
- Auris is at 3/4 of the bridge. He's reloading his sling in order to shoot it in round 4
- Mobius is at 3/4 of the bridge, he casts his spell
- Duror grabs his shortbow and loads it. He will shoot at the orc archers below in round 4
- The rest of the guards and adventurers are turned towards the melee at the front and wait for an opening to push through

Middle and back of the bridge:
- The adventurer that was shot in the leg is still on the ground. He tries frantically to stop the bleeding and get some crawling distance from the orcs chargin up from the back
- As the orcs are charging towards the middle (they're at 1/4) suddenly a large fell beast swoops up from below the bridge and silently lands on the bridge between the group in the middle and the charging orcs. It spreads its wings menacingly and stretches out its head eying the orcs, but otherwise remains silent. The orcs stop their charge dead in their tracks and start scrambling backwards
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2012, 08:32:04 AM
Beginning of round 4: (declaration of activities)

Front of the bridge (4/4):
- The baron charges
- The guards/orcs will attack each other
- Duror has loaded his bow and can shoot if he wants

3/4 of the bridge:
- Richard is at 3/4 of the bridge. He can reach the middle of the bridge at the end of round 4, or do something else
- Auris is at 3/4 of the bridge. He has loaded his sling and can shoot it if he wants
- Mobius needs to keep concentrating to keep the fell beast moving

Back of the bridge (1/4):
- The orcs are retreating at 1/4 of the bridge

Middle of the bridge (2/4):
- the adventurer is still trying to crawl away

Please roll initiative, declare actions for round 4 and roll appropriate rolls


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 18, 2012, 09:50:31 AM
Richard

As the Orcs at the back of the bridge are fleeing from the fell beast, Richard will help the adventurer shot in the leg move to the front of the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 18, 2012, 01:37:17 PM
Mobius
 
Continues to focus on what is happening at the back of the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2012, 02:34:29 PM
Rest/end of round 4:

Front of the bridge (4/4):
- The baron charges into the back of the formation, but this time 2 orcs are prepared for his charge. The baron gets stuck in combat against these 2 orcs
- The guards and orcs on the front line exchange blows
- Duror shoots at one of the archers and hits, but poorly

3/4 of the bridge:
- Auris shoots a slingshot at the advancing orcs from the back, but it bounces harmlessly from his shield
- Mobius keeps concentrating on his spell...he suddenly feels a slight pain as a crossbow bolt nicks him in the arm for 6 hits. He is able to continue concentrating though

Middle of the bridge (2/4):
- Richard reaches the middle of the bridge and is now in a position to help the fallen adventurer if he wants


Front of the bridge:
- The fell slowly advances on the retreating orcs and once they gained some distance it hops/jump (and flaps its wings once if needed to increase the believability of the illusion, think of a bird that needs to increase its jump) to close the distance again.
- At that moment two other bolts are shot both aimed at the fell beast. One misses him completely,but the other goes straight through, as if it isn't there. This confuses the retreating orcs and they stop retreating. The orcs are now at the front of the bridge again (0/4).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2012, 02:38:11 PM
Beginning of round 5 (declaration of actions):

Front of the bridge:
- The baron and two orcs will attack each other
- The guards and the orcs will attack each other
- The adventurers are still waiting
- Grixis takes out a dart and will throw one into the melee

3/4 of the bridge:
- If Auris wants to shoot another bolt, he needs to reload, or take another action
- Mobius needs to keep concentrating to keep the fell beast moving

Middle of the bridge (2/4):
- Richard can help the fallen adventurer if he wants

Front of the bridge (0/4):
- The orcs seem to be discussing what to do (no action, defensive)

Under the bridge:
- The orc archers need to reload

Please declare actions, roll initiative and the appropriate action roll if necessary
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 18, 2012, 09:21:34 PM
Richard helps the fallen adventurer to traverse the bridge. If Orcs come, he'll fight them. (I'll use the rolls from the last round.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 19, 2012, 07:08:37 AM
Rest/end of round 5:

Front of the bridge:
- The baron is fighting off two orcs...as he delivers one a strong blow to the shoulder, the other decides to play dirty and stabs his horse in the stomach. The horse rears and throws the baron backwards...luckily he doesn't get stuck in the stirrups as the horse crashes to the ground
- In another dramatic turn of events, the bodyguard fighting the orc leader, gives him a killing blow...the orc goes down in a fountain of blood as he screams for protection
- The other guards/orcs exchange blows
- Duror is reloading his bow
- Grixis tries to help by throwing a dart into the melee...unfortunately he misses his target and hits on of the guards in the back...

3/4 of the bridge:
- Auris is reloading his sling
- Mobius has stopped concentrating on the fell beast illusion and that now falls still, but the image remains. Mobius instead successfully casts another spell

1/2 of the bridge:
- Richard has reached the fallen adventurer, who's looking very pale from all the blood loss. He looks like he'll pass out soon if he doesn't receive any first aid soon. It will take Richard round 5 and round 6 to drag the adventurer to 3/4 of the bridge

Front of the bridge:
- The orc officer at the back of the bridge shouts several orders in order to get the orcs over their fear of the fell beast. The orcs form a tight formation of 5 orcs wide and 2 orcs trail behind. It will take them round 6 to reach the fell beast, then round 7 to reach 1/2 of the bridge as they're not running, but walking in formation.


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 19, 2012, 07:12:50 AM
Beginning of round 6 (declaration of actions):

Front of the bridge:
- The baron tries to get up, while the two orcs try to stay clear of the trashing horse
- The orcs and guards will exchange blows
- The adventurers are still waiting
- Grixis moves to 3/4 of the bridge

3/4 of the bridge:
- Auris and Duror can shoot if they want
- Mobius can use his spell if he wants

1/2 of the bridge:
- Richard needs all of round 6 to reach 3/4 of the bridge with the fallen adventurer

Front of the bridge:
- The orcs are moving towards the fell beast in formation

Under the bridge:
- The orc archers can shoot again
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 19, 2012, 01:32:51 PM
Mobius
 
Watches, as if mezmorized, as the fell beast shakes its head as if clearing the cobwebs of stun and then lunges at the orcs once again, snapping it's jaws closed suddenly
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 23, 2012, 08:58:34 AM
end/rest of round 6:

Front of the bridge:
- The first bodyguard, after disposing of the orc leader the previous round, appears to be in the killing zone, with a roar he cuts off the arm of the orc fighting the other bodyguard. The poor orc never saw it coming and collapses in a bloody fountain.
- This leaves the second bodyguard free to help the other remaining guard. He attacks and viciously wounds the other orc
- Meanwhile Boric pulls a nasty combination and sushi slices his opponent.
- After this the fight at the front is pretty much over. The orcs trying to reach the baron notice the bloodshed behind them...they take a second to decide what to do and then make a run for it, leaving the last remaining orc surrounded and in very poor state

3/4 of the bridge:
- The orc shooters appear to be aiming to this part of the bridge now. With Mobius, Auris en Duror all taking glancing shots from orc arrows (10 hits for Auris and Duror, 12 hits for Mobius)
- The sling of Auris makes a weak hit (6 hits), while Duror's arrow misses its mark completely
- Grixis has arrived at 3/4
- So has Richard with the wounded adventurer

1/4 of the bridge:
- The orcs at the back hesitate. Seeing their leader dead and their advantage in numbers gone and still that disturbing fell beast on the bridge, they start retreating and run away.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 23, 2012, 09:00:46 AM
Beginning of round 7 (declaration of actions):

Front of the bridge:
- The last remaining orc is pretty much surrounded and unless everyone collectively fumbles, is going to die.
- The baron doesn't give chase to the two orcs that have run away and moves towards his bodyguards

3/4 of the bridge:
- Duror and Auris need to reload if they want to shoot
- Everyone is free to give chase, or not


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 24, 2012, 07:29:46 AM
End/rest of round 7:

Front of the bridge:
- The last orc is cut down and collapses next to the other orc corpses. The twitching bodies of the dying orcses are quickly silenced with a short blade thrust

3/4 of the bridge:
- Richard tries to frantically stem the bloodflow of the adventurer, but is unsuccessful...he shouts that he needs help, but no-one answers as of yet
- Duror and Auris reload
- Mobius peers over the bridge to locate the archers, only to find them reloading behind some cover

Back of the bridge:
- The orcs are climbing over rocks and disappearing from sight
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 24, 2012, 07:48:46 AM
Beginning of round 8 (declarations):

Front of the bridge:
- No actions are undertaken this round (they consider this fight to be over)

3/4 of the bridge:
- Auris and Duror can shoot if they want

Please declare actions and roll

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 25, 2012, 01:38:02 PM
Mobius will make for the front of the bridge and out of the line of fire of the orcs.  The fell beast appearing to take a nap on the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 25, 2012, 01:39:01 PM
Duror

Takes a shot with his short bow at the orcs in the caves.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 26, 2012, 07:31:25 AM
Rest/end of round 8:

Front of the bridge:
- The group at the front of the bridge starts moving away from the bridge in order to get out of the line of sight of the orc archers
- Mobius reaches the front of the bridge, but needs another round to get out of range for the archers

3/4 of the bridge:
- As no-one can help...Richard starts carrying the wounded adventurer to the front of the bridge. As he can't run he will reach 4/4 of the bridge on round 9 and out of sight at round 11
- Auris shoots at one of the orcs and makes a weak hit
- Duror is more successful and hits an orc in the chest...you can actually hear it squeel, but it lives

Back of the bridge
- The fell beast, appears to be taking a nap on the bridge

Below the bridge:
- the fire of the orc archers is focused on whoever is shooting at them. Duror gets hit for 18hits and Auris for 10hits

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 26, 2012, 07:36:47 AM
Beginning of round 9 (declaration of actions)

Front of the bridge:
- The group at the front is now outside of bow range of the orc shooters.
- The baron looks at the people left behind on the bridge and shouts "Leave those orcs and get over here"
- Mobius needs 1 more round of running to get out of range

3/4:
- Richard needs to move fast as the adventurer is becoming eerily pale
- Duror and Auris need to reload if they want to shoot again next round, or they can start running as well

please declare actions and roll accordingly
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 26, 2012, 10:56:32 AM
Duror

Will disengage from firing at the orcs in the caves and move to regroup with the Baron at the front of the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 26, 2012, 01:36:43 PM
Mobius
 
Looks over his shoulder and seeing Richard's plight turns and races for the Richard and the unnamed adventurer.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2012, 09:49:51 AM
The group all decides to run to the front of the bridge...this allows the orc archers to fire one more round of arrows at the fleeing group. It seems their hearts aren't into it anymore...only Duror is hit for 10 hits, but the rest of the arrows miss their targets completely.

As you reach safety, the adventurer slumps and fall unconscious...he's not dead, but will be soon unless the bleeding stops
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2012, 09:53:55 AM
The baron approaches the group and greets them with a relieved smile: "Well done men...thank you for holding the back of the bridge...this way our losses have been minimal, we've lost two" he looks at the adventurer "...three no?" "...but who summoned that fell beast? That was a nice little trick"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 30, 2012, 01:30:40 PM
Mobius
 
Not bothering to respond to the inept baron he rushes over to the downed adventurer and casts Major healing to stop the bleading and then another to heal his hits.

When he's finished he stifles a snarl and then revives the fell beast which flies directly for the baron, opens its mouth and continues to fly right through him.  "Sorry, sire.  Sometimes illusions have a mind of their own.  Like I said, I've got talents that will help."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2012, 02:25:51 PM
The adventurer's bleeding wound heals almost instantly and he regains consciousness...he sees the Gnome tanding over him and he responds: "Thank you sir for your help...I...I...thought I was a goner"

As the fell beast swoops down on the baron, he barely moves, but you can tell from the look on his face that all credits built up are instantly gone again. His guards find the whole display much more disturbing and one even drops to the ground to the amusement of the others...

Then in a stern voice, the baron shouts: "Allright, let's get moving...we lost valuable time and need to reach the next waypoint before nightfall, unless you want another nasty encounter in one day!" He then walks to his bodyguards, pts them on the shoulders and the Baron's retinue start walking towards mount doom...

...except one guard...he walks up to Grixis and out of nowhere punches him in the face, which drop Grixis to the ground...he shouts at him..."next time you decide to throw darts in my back, I'll run you through!" The bodyguards and Borek laugh at this and they continue on their way
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 01, 2012, 01:47:42 AM
The adventurer's bleeding wound heals almost instantly and he regains consciousness...he sees the Gnome standing over him and he responds: "Thank you sir for your help...I...I...thought I was a goner"

** Assuming I am that adventurer ...

That adventurer, who hasn't given his name (if he even admits to having one), re-adjusts the leather mask covering his face and tentatively rises to his feet, testing the healed leg. The mask matches the rest of his nature-colored leather armor, shield on his back, sword at his hip and a bow fallen to one side. He collects the bow, bows to the Gnome and waits to see where the rest go. Now standing, you see he is short for a human (?) and, to the very perceptive (since his armor conceals it), oddly proportioned.

Nameless

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 01, 2012, 01:28:26 PM
Mobius
 
Helping the fallen to his feet.  "You are most welcome noble sir." lowering his voice, "I'm sure you've noticed our leader had numbered you among the dead.  Trust him to your peril."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 01, 2012, 10:35:41 PM
Mobius
 
Helping the fallen to his feet.  "You are most welcome noble sir." lowering his voice, "I'm sure you've noticed our leader had numbered you among the dead.  Trust him to your peril."

Whispered, "Ah, hurm. Noted. Thank you again."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 01, 2012, 10:40:43 PM
Mobius
 
Claps the almost departed on the back and starts out in the direction the Baron is already headed, mumbling something about empty headed...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 01, 2012, 11:05:21 PM
Mobius
 
Claps the almost departed on the back and starts out in the direction the Baron is already headed, mumbling something about empty headed...

Nameless follows along, pondering the information and idly scratching under his mask.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 02, 2012, 05:48:36 AM
Its not a very long walk to the next waypoint, another abandoned fortress-ruin, as it was already afternoon when you got hit by the orc ambush. The landscape is still becoming more rough with crevises and ever larger boulders from the violent eruption of mount doom. This land feels like its been hit by nothing short of an apocalypse...

As daylight turns into night you find another abandoned fortress ruin. Again the many tell tale signs of old campfires suggest this has been used before by adventurers and troops traveling these dark lands.

ooc: I'll give some room for interaction if people want, otherwise I'll fast forward to the next day
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 06, 2012, 10:55:09 AM
The next day brings more of the same...a desolate waste land, ash everywhere and a sun that doesn't appear to want to shine its light on these lands.

Halfway through the day, you arrive at a major ruin site...suddenly everything becomes even more eerie than before and you have no idea why...everyone has shivers going all over them, as if some sheer evil presence still lingers here...one of the adventurers whispers: "The ruins of barad-dur...the tower of the dark lord" as you look more closely, you can indeed see the remains of a ginormous tower that has been toppled and collapsed into rubble...

Another adventurer inquires softly: "Is this the place where we're going?" The Baron responds: "No, this place has been picked clean long ago...although as my memory serves me, not much was found of the dark lord himself...I think someone found his mace, but not much else" He shrugs: "In any case...this is not a place you want to linger too long...especially at night...more adventurers have disappeared here than anywhere else I've been told...but our goal lies beyond" and he points to mount doom
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 06, 2012, 09:19:49 PM
The next day brings more of the same...a desolate waste land, ash everywhere and a sun that doesn't appear to want to shine its light on these lands.

Halfway through the day, you arrive at a major ruin site...suddenly everything becomes even more eerie than before and you have no idea why...everyone has shivers going all over them, as if some sheer evil presence still lingers here...one of the adventurers whispers: "The ruins of barad-dur...the tower of the dark lord" as you look more closely, you can indeed see the remains of a ginormous tower that has been toppled and collapsed into rubble...

Another adventurer inquires softly: "Is this the place where we're going?" The Baron responds: "No, this place has been picked clean long ago...although as my memory serves me, not much was found of the dark lord himself...I think someone found his mace, but not much else" He shrugs: "In any case...this is not a place you want to linger too long...especially at night...more adventurers have disappeared here than anywhere else I've been told...but our goal lies beyond" and he points to mount doom


Nameless mumbles to himself, <<Light protect my soul from this place>> (translated from the Elven language) and does not look overlong at the ruins.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 07, 2012, 09:24:21 AM
The party continues on its arduous foot journey through the desolation. The good news is that with every sip of water your load becomes lighter...though you start to wonder if you're going to come across a source of water soon...otherwise the way back (though not lethal) will be really tough...

As night falls, the group makes camp. Oddly enough it's not at another fortress...come to think of it ever since you passed Barad-dur you haven't really been walking on a road. Apparently there wasn't really a road from the tower of the dark lord to mount doom.

As you sit down by a very small and semi-covered campfire, the baron suddenly joins in with his retinue (up till now they've been sitting separately) and begins to speak: "As you've might have guessed we're heading towards mount doom, which we'll reach by tomorrow afternoon, unless we have another nasty surprise. We should be fine...not many orc mines and tunnels here. This part was pretty much off limits for anyone but the dark lord and some of his trustees I've been told. In any case as you might know when the dark lord was defeated, mount doom erupted violently destroying most of the dark lands. As such the workplace of the dark lord was long thought lost to the world. However, it has come to my attention via a reliable source that recent earthquakes have opened up an airvent to the old workplace. It is thought that as Barad Dur was pretty much empty of treasure, that the dark lord kept all his riches at mount doom. Nothing is certain of course, but if this is indeed the case...then we will all return home as very, very rich men."

He pauses and puts a look on his face, as if he's concerned: "Now obviously entering the chambers of the dark lord is not without its risks. His magic has gone with him, but still we should be careful. We've done extensive preparation work and I believe that we have the best knowledge anyone can have of these chambers. But for everyone's safety I will require that you listen exactly to every order/indication I give. Not doing so will not only endanger you, but the rest of the group as well...I know you're not used to taking orders, but you've proven yourself yesterday to be more than capable men...but I need you now to follow orders...I promise you the reward will be huge"

He looks at all round the campfire intently: "Can I trust on your cooperation?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 07, 2012, 01:34:04 PM
Mobius
 
"Believe it or not, I intend no disrespect, sir; but what if things don't go as planned?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 07, 2012, 01:59:58 PM
Baron

"Well, let me not beat around the bush...worst case scenario we all don't make it out alive...but then again that is the risk associated with this venture...there was also a risk we'd run into some orcs. But rest assured, I've studied this venture for a long time, spent a lot of money on intelligence...we're as prepared as can be"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 07, 2012, 02:07:49 PM
"Let's hope everything goes well Sir," says Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 07, 2012, 03:22:47 PM
Mobius
 
"Fair enough."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 08, 2012, 12:43:51 AM
Mobius
 
"Fair enough."

Nameless.

"Aye. I agree."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 08, 2012, 01:01:49 AM
Duror


I concur.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2012, 07:44:56 AM
The other adventurers also nod their consent...

"Well then, that's good to hear" He motions for one of the guards, who shows up with a couple of bottles of wine...the baron continues: "Here's to us all becoming filthy rich" there is enough wine for everyone to have two drinks...enough to have a good time, but not too much as to have everyone drunk.

The rest of the evening passes relatively quiet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2012, 08:25:13 AM
The next morning, the party moves out again. After a couple of hours, the sandy/ash covered grounds suddenly give way to hard rocky surface. As you look around, you can tell you're walking on solidified lava from a previous eruption...the landscape looks almost alien...with mount doom now looming eerily over you as an angry mountain telling you, you shouldn't be here

After a long 4 hour walk...you reach the slope of the mountain. "From here on we need to climb" the baron shouts back "watch your footing" You climb the slope of the mountain for another 4 hours and then when you think you'll be climbing for the rest of the day, the baron stops...he looks around and says: "Yes, this is the spot" He had been looking at a map for the past 4 hours and now folds it neatly away in his coat pocket.

As you gather closer to see where 'this spot' actually is, you can see a large crack in the rocks and if you go close, you can see it leads down into the mountain, as some sort of large air vent.

"Allright" the baron says "I need a volunteer to go down first...it should be safe, but is of course not without risk...so there's another gold piece for whoever wants to go first..."

One of the more scruffy looking adventurers steps forward and says: "I'll take that gold"

"Good man" and the baron tosses him the gold piece. "The airvent is just wide enough for a man to go down it and the slope isn't too steep, only the last part, but the drop into the chamber below is relatively low, so you should be fine...godspeed"

The adventurer lowers himself down the hole, feet first and starts to slowly reverse crawl down. Everyone gathers round the hole in anticipation as to what will happen next. At some point you hear him say: "I think I'm at the steep end of the...whoaoaoaoa" then silence...moments later "I'm in the chamber below...its dark here, throw a torch down will you?...oh no, wait, I see a light" Then a moment of silence and you hear a scream, which is cut short, as if the air was pulled from his lungs mid-scream...in less than a second a gust of hot air and orange light erupts from the air vent...and then there's silence



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2012, 08:47:44 AM
"DAM$#T!"...the Baron curses...that should NOT have happened!...he turns around and starts pacing, while mumbling to himself "the trap should have been deactivated...apparently it slowly recharges over time...it should be safe now then shouldn't it? At least we should have a couple of hours..." He then turns towards the hole and briskly walks towards it "Right...an unfortunate misinformation...it should be safe now, but I will myself take the risk" One of the bodyguards walks over and says: "No, sir...I can't allow you to do that!" "This is not negotiable...I'm responsible and so I will go next!" The bodyguard immediately backs away and the baron walks over to the airvent and feels the air

Baron: "Make sure you have a lit torch ready when I'm down...so you can throw one in once I've made it safe down...I have flint with me in case it goes out, but would rather not fumble around in the dark. After I've given the clear I want you two..." he points at the bodyguards "...and Borek to come down...then the rest of the group can come down and the rest of the guards will take up the rear" he then pauzes as if to gather his bravery and says: "Right, well off I go" and starts his descend down

Everyone gathers again round the hole, while a couple of torches are lit...you can hear him slowly reverse crawling down, as the metal scabbard of his sword scratches against the rock...moments later he calls up: "Ok, I'm at the drop point..." then you hear a thud and seconds later..."I'm down and ok...throw down the torches" The bodyguards each throw down a torch carefully in order now to let them go out...one does, but the other remains lit. It stays quiet for a time, but just at the moment one of the bodyguards wants to ask if he's ok...a faint light can be seen at the end of the shaft

"Ok, I've lit some torches in the chamber...the trap seems to be deactivated...its safe to come down" "Make sure you come down one at the time...we don't want anyone getting stuck mid drop"

The first bodyguard doesn't hesitate and starts lowering himself in the vent. After 30 seconds or so...you hear the voice of the baron: "Ok, he's down safe, next" Then the second bodyguard goes down and the routine repeats himself. Then Borek goes down and before he does he turns back smiles and winks at you and says: "See you all on the other side...down the hatch we go..." and he lowers himself down...

ooc: please let me know if you go down and what sequence, etc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 08, 2012, 11:52:41 AM
Duror


"Fortune favors the bold!" Duror says as he grabs the rope to lower himself down.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2012, 12:05:26 PM
Although there is no rope, Duror successfully lowers himself down...the familiar thump is heard by the people above, followed by the voice of the baron saying: "NEXT"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 08, 2012, 12:42:16 PM
Auris also goes down, with his backpack. Upon landing, he starts looking for small cracks and corners, having seen the consequences of relying on the baron's 'infoprmation'.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2012, 12:45:58 PM
Same sequence and you hear the baron shouting "NEXT"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 08, 2012, 01:34:30 PM
Mobius follows and is dubious of the Baron's info as well.  He begins a survey of the room/chamber.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 08, 2012, 02:49:59 PM
Richard follows next, and he climbs down carefully down the vent. He makes a Perception check to gather what happened to the other adventurer.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2012, 02:56:26 PM
Same sequence and you hear the baron shouting "NEXT"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 08, 2012, 10:12:50 PM
Same sequence and you hear the baron shouting "NEXT"

Nameless frowns, trying to keep up with the speedy departures ( :) ), and says, "I gather that would be me ... " and climbs down.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 09, 2012, 11:07:27 AM
You all slowly regain consciousness, with a massive bump on the back of your head and a major headache to accompany it.

As you groggily look around to regain focus you see all the adventurers neatly bound lying on the floor...come to think of it "DARN" your hands are tied to.

You can see the baron and his guards conversing in the large circular room. Around the room are several torches lit. The circular room has a domed ceiling. It's pretty big and spectacular for a hallway in an active volcano. There are strange runes and symbols written across the ceiling and the walls. Magic users will recognize them as magical runes. People proficient in elvish will realize they are in the Mordorian tongue.

You can see several large cracks in the walls and ceiling and you can tell that even the powerful magic that has held this place together hasn't been completely successful. If you look at the top of the dome, you can see the hole you came through. Interestingly there's now a rope hanging down from it. Apparently this is also the way out and you were not intended to be able to do so independently.

ooc: what do you do/say


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 09, 2012, 11:50:07 AM
Auris first thought is that he should have plotted to kill the baron himself ratehr than his horse. But it isn't the first time he was bound, so he keeps his cool for now. Problem is that on previous occasions, his associates weren't in the same predicament. No cavalry to save the day in Mordor....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 09, 2012, 01:37:43 PM
Mobius

Ugh, should have seen that coming, he thought.  So we were just protection to get here.  Doubt a phantasm will work this time; baron isn't as dumb as orcs it seems.  Hmmm...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 09, 2012, 03:11:48 PM
Auris

Ok, so our hands are tied on our backs. Their mistake. Auris remains silent, feigning that he's still out of his wits. Let's see if I can still get out of these ropes... Maybe a sharp object nearby would help...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 09, 2012, 03:21:46 PM
Richard speaks to the Baron, "What does this mean Baron? Why are we tied up?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 09, 2012, 11:01:36 PM
Richard speaks to the Baron, "What does this mean Baron? Why are we tied up?"

Nameless mumbles to himself, "A chamber lined in Black Speech. Wonderful. Not a damned thing I can do either ... Sigh."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 10, 2012, 12:42:30 PM
As Richard calls out, the Baron turns around and with a barely conceiled smile says:

"Ah I see you are all awake, I hope you aren't too uncomfortable...Yes, you would like to know why you're tied up, well let's just say it's a little insurance on our side to make sure you all cooperate...see, this chamber isn't the only one with deadly traps and, well, you can see my predicament can't you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 10, 2012, 12:55:30 PM
Auris

Hmm, too well tied up. Time for plan B, and perhaps plan C .. and D.

"Well, Baron, I readily admit your terms of contract were sufficiently vague that I'm not going to bother to protest in court" Auris spits on thef loor for effect. "But wouldn't you say that, before you can return home with loads of artefacts and what not, you need to cross the badlands again? Our party was already weak enough against those orcs, and using us as guinea pigs will weaken it still. You may run out of orc- and trap fodder before the end. In fact, with that last casulaty a few minutes ago, we're not very far from double digits already" And Auris looks at the abron, but also directs a piercing gaze at each of the remaining guards.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 10, 2012, 01:40:51 PM
Baron

The baron laughs: "Ha, I appreciate your concern for my welfare, but if we find what I'm looking for, orcs are no longer a concern for me...don't worry yourself to much about that"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 10, 2012, 01:52:41 PM
Duror


Groggy, the dwarf keeps silent in order to assess the situation. He watches the Baron and his guards intently.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 10, 2012, 09:38:33 PM

Nameless does a quick count (for his purposes and the player's) - how many are here? The Baron and how many guards? How many of us are tied up?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 12, 2012, 12:40:04 PM
There are 2 bodyguards and 2 guards in total (one of which is Borek) plus the baron equals 5.

On your side, you have yourselves, 2 unnamed adventurers and Grixis
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 12, 2012, 01:12:54 PM
There are 2 bodyguards and 2 guards in total (one of which is Borek) plus the baron equals 5.

On your side, you have yourselves, 2 unnamed adventurers and Grixis

** Duror, Richard, Auris, Mobius, Nameless, 2 unnamed and Grixis ... OK

Nameless whispers, "One at a time ... well staged ... but if we can rest or delay ... we outnumber them almost 2 to one."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 13, 2012, 08:27:38 AM
Baron

"But enough chitter chatter...we have treasure to find." The guards and bodyguards walk over to the group and start helping everyone up (roughly). You are then ordered to go to one side of the room. You see that there are two exits to the large room. In the dim torchlight you can see stairs in both. The one you're going to has stairs leading down...the others seem to be going up. The baron and the bodyguards take the lead the group down the stairs. The stairs are wide enough for three men to walk side by side. The guards make up the rear.

After roughly a 100 steps, you can see a large metal door. As the group approaches it automatically opens. The baron pauses and says: "Right...well I will need a volunteer to explore this room...who wants to?" At that moment, one of the nameless adventurers, bolts and tries to make a run for it...he doesn't get far though. Borek aptly tackles him as the adventurer tries to move past him and starts beating him within an inch of his life

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 13, 2012, 01:33:04 PM
Mobius
 
"y'know baron, there's better ways to do this than brute force.  Give me a few moments to scry the area."
 
He closes his eyes and begins his telltale spellcasting.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 14, 2012, 11:27:28 AM
Mobius is overwhelmed by a sense of evil and power...it is as if the dark lord himself made these chambers and the whole experience startles him.

Then Mobius suddenly feels the cold touch of a blade against his throat and one of the bodyguards determinedly says: "Stop that"

As he opens his eyes he sees the baron staring at him...Mobius wonders what is going through his mind. The he shouts at Borek: "Stop hitting him, I believe we have our first volunteer, bring him forward." Borek then pushes the man forward, where he is grabbed by one of the bodyguards and shoved into the chamber. Being severely beaten and still bound, the unfortunate adventurer falls to the ground. Then the door slams shut...

Through the door you can hear a magical voice ask something in dark tongue...you can make out: "who...destroyer...all before him" then there is silence then you hear agonizing screaming and then silence again. Then the door opens...

The baron quickly runs in and starts fumbling around next to the opposing door, which is still closed. It looks like he's searching for a secret mechanism to open the door...
As you look into the room, you see the skeletal remains of the adventurer lying on the floor...it is as if the flesh got ripped from his body by pure evil. Moments later the bones disintegrate into dust

At that moment the Baron finds a small stone, which he pushes and the opposing door opens. He shouts: "Follow me quickly!" The guards start pushing you forward.


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 14, 2012, 01:29:15 PM
Mobius
 
When the group makes it through the trapped chamber Mobius heads for the baron, "I was scrying the chamber.  You may have information about what dangers we face, but by using us as rats you decrease the chances of your own survival.  My abilities can help increase your ability to get back home richer than think."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 14, 2012, 02:03:29 PM
Baron

"What information do you believe you can gather from each room?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 14, 2012, 06:09:12 PM
Mobius
 
"The presence of an arcane trap or creatures that may be waiting.  I told you I had abilities that would benefit you, but you weren't interested in listening then.  Perhaps if you were more magnanimous with your hired help we'd all leave here richer than you suspect."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 14, 2012, 11:00:49 PM
Duror


"Mobius speaks the truth, Baron. To use us as bait to trip the Dark Lord's traps is a waste and self-defeating. It is folly." Duror looks at the guards as he continues, "And once we are dead, will you turn upon your own men to set off these traps?" Turning to address the Baron, "I am of the deep warrens. I am adept at locks and traps, and perceiving them. My companions also have useful skills, as Mobius stated. If we work together, we can avoid the dangers of this dungeon and we all benefit. What do you say?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 14, 2012, 11:57:03 PM
Duror


"Mobius speaks the truth, Baron. To use us as bait to trip the Dark Lord's traps is a waste and self-defeating. It is folly." Duror looks at the guards as he continues, "And once we are dead, will you turn upon your own men to set off these traps?" Turning to address the Baron, "I am of the deep warrens. I am adept at locks and traps, and perceiving them. My companions also have useful skills, as Mobius stated. If we work together, we can avoid the dangers of this dungeon and we all benefit. What do you say?"

Nameless,

"As my companion-in-captivity notes, we have skills. Whether combat, stealth or knowledge of minor magicks, it goes to waste bound like this..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 15, 2012, 08:10:33 AM
The Baron laughs:

"Hah, these traps were made by the dark lord himself...do you really believe that you will be able to disarm them?"

in a more sarcastic tone:

"But as I said before, your concern for me and my men is touching, but again, don't worry yourself about that...this has been taken care of"

He then pauzes for a moment

"...but I'm intrigued...why don't you give it a try at the next trap" He then nods at his two bodyguards who walk up to Mobius and Duror and cut you loose...the bodyguards stay close though "don't try anything funny"

You travel down the stairs again for about a hundred steps until you reach another circular room. As you approach it the door magically opens. You can see a circular room, with a door opposite yours and there is writing and symbols on the wall...

The baron says:"Well, do your thing"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 15, 2012, 01:28:40 PM
Mobius
 
Simply closes his eyes and concentrates to sense what is happening in the room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 15, 2012, 03:11:13 PM
Duror


Cautiously steps into the room, scanning the stonework. He also looks at the runes inscribed on the wall.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 15, 2012, 06:29:00 PM
Mobius
 
Reaches his hand to pull Duror back.  "Just a minute.  Let me do some scrying first."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 15, 2012, 10:12:33 PM
Duror stops, bows, and waves Mobius forward.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 16, 2012, 06:15:06 PM
Mobius
 
Turning to face the baron, "Based on what I sense, this room's trap is to lower the ceiling on the victims."  He pulls out some baubles out of a sack and tosses them into the middle of the room to test the trap.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 17, 2012, 07:18:29 AM
Nothing happens
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 17, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
Duror


Enters the room cautiously to try and decipher the runes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 17, 2012, 01:44:18 PM
ooc: does anyone else enter the room?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 17, 2012, 04:49:44 PM
ooc: does anyone else enter the room?

Nameless,

If either Duror or Mobius have mentioned the runes to everyone present, Nameless says, "I have some small skill with Runes. May I be allowed to assist?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 17, 2012, 05:45:29 PM
Duror

Turning to Nameless, "Aye, I'm attempting to decipher the Runes now, but your assistance is welcome."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 17, 2012, 06:40:46 PM
Auris

"If we need to go inside, best get some kind of log to help. Of course it wont hold up the ceiling, but might delay it coming down just long enough to get the person out. Saves a guinea pig, and we only need something as tall as a halfling..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 17, 2012, 08:08:15 PM
Duror


Only enters the room far enough to try and read the runes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 17, 2012, 10:34:40 PM
Mobius
 
Pulls Duror back again, before he can enter the room.  "Let me make you a litle faster.  Might be enough to save your skin if this is a fast trap."
 
He then lays a Boost Quickness on Duror.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 17, 2012, 10:58:11 PM
Duror

Turning to Nameless, "Aye, I'm attempting to decipher the Runes now, but your assistance is welcome."

Nameless

If the Baron allows, I move over to the room and peer inside.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 18, 2012, 07:17:15 AM
Baron

"hold up...I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I don't want more than two of you inside or unbound...as for the log, I haven't seen any here and we don't have time to search before the traps reset themselves. So choose now who will attempt to disarm it we have precious little time"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 18, 2012, 12:14:04 PM
Baron

"hold up...I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I don't want more than two of you inside or unbound...as for the log, I haven't seen any here and we don't have time to search before the traps reset themselves. So choose now who will attempt to disarm it we have precious little time"

Nameless takes a quick peek and replies, before withdrawing, "They are ancient and powerful but I do not understand them."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 18, 2012, 05:41:55 PM
Auris checks if anyone else steps forward....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 18, 2012, 08:04:53 PM
Neither grixis or the last nameless adventurer step forward
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 18, 2012, 08:12:22 PM
Auris

Auris sighs deeply. "OK, a trap is a trap, and I have experience with those. Sod the magical elements, this is a crushing device - let's disarm it." He then turns to Mobius, saying "and some of that quickness goodness would certainly help, pal".
And turning to the baron: "untie me, and rebind our rune-reader here if you must, but give me free reign and let Mobius buff me".
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 20, 2012, 10:55:25 AM
Baron

Getting annoyed: "Ok make a decision who will enter the room...we do not have all day to do this...unless you..." he doesn't finish his last sentence..."well...who's it going to be"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 20, 2012, 01:36:40 PM
Mobius
 
Lays on some of the quickness goodness on Auris too.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 20, 2012, 02:03:44 PM
Auris.

"I'll go."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 20, 2012, 02:52:11 PM
Baron

"So the dwarf and the halfling will go?"

Suddenly Borek begins to snicker. The Baron turns angrily and says sternly: "What!"

Borek: "Sorry sir...but I was just thinking *snicker*...that uhm with it being a ceiling trap and all...well *snicker* at least they will have extra time to diffuse the trap" The other guard also starts to snicker...

Baron: "ENOUGH!...we're losing valuable time...Borek, go bind Mobius." Then turns to Auris and Duror..."No more delays"

The two bodyguards approach. One unties Auris and then both get 'nudged' into the room

The moment the two enter the room, the door closes. A dark voice in the room questions: "By what name goes the Creator of gems, Destroyer of lives and King of the accursed?"

ooc: Only the people in the room hear the question. The answer is a character from the history of Middle Earth.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 20, 2012, 03:02:53 PM
Auris

A riddle! oh dear. Let's see, gems - old ones, mythical ones, priceless ones - valuable enough to take an entire people into perdition for....?

"Fëanor!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 20, 2012, 03:26:14 PM
Both doors open
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 20, 2012, 03:30:36 PM
Auris

"Well, baron, as you can see you hired more than meat for the grinder. Come in."

Auris then walks to the next door, not waiting to be bound again.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 20, 2012, 04:30:17 PM
Auris sees another flight of stairs down...with in the distance...another door
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 20, 2012, 05:36:41 PM
Duror,


Follows Auris to the next door and chamber.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 20, 2012, 05:44:43 PM
Mobius
 
Follows, apparently bound.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 20, 2012, 06:21:57 PM
Baron

Stands there momentarily stunned in silence he mutters: "How did they do that?" then as he sees them exiting: "Stop...wait for us" then to the group..."quickly follow me"

ooc: what does everyone do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 20, 2012, 07:47:49 PM
Auris

He senses this is the time to strike iron. "Don't go down these stairs yet, there is more!" He vehemently hopes that the baron is as clueless of the nature of further traps as he is....

To Borek, on the heels of the baron, he says "We'll need some rope for this one. Tie one end around my waist, hold the other end tightly, and pull me up immediately when I say so. Do the same with Duror, we're not that heavy, so two men at each rope should do it."

That should give some opportunity again, he thinks - if we survive it again....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 20, 2012, 11:24:38 PM
Baron

Stands there momentarily stunned in silence he mutters: "How did they do that?" then as he sees them exiting: "Stop...wait for us" then to the group..."quickly follow me"

ooc: what does everyone do?


Nameless follows.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 21, 2012, 01:22:48 AM
As does Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 21, 2012, 08:29:59 AM
Baron

You can tell he is worried by what Auris says "Have the stairs collapsed?...There is no time to do a decent from here...the trap in the room will reset itself shortly...is there enough room on the other end of the room to lower you to the next chamber?"

He pauzes for a second and says: "Wait I'll come over to check for myself" and starts walking into the room followed by his bodyguards

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2012, 08:37:51 AM
Auris

"There's room here, but I sense another trap even before we get to the next room. These stairs are not ordinary stairs. If I read it right, the very steps my disappear, sliding everyone on them into a sinkhole or whatever nastiness. But I reckon the first few steps are safe."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 21, 2012, 09:18:33 AM
Baron

Walks over to the other exit of the room and the rest follows. He looks down and inquires: "Well done with the trap, but how can you tell"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2012, 09:28:36 AM
Auris

"See that slight change in color and pattern in the stone, near the other door? It's dark, but my kind sees well without light." It's a typical stair-trap. Just mechanical, usually easily blocked - though in this place, who's to know?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 21, 2012, 10:02:06 AM
Baron

Peers into the darkness...then motions to the guard: "Shine a light here will you" The guard wrestles through the crowd and shines the light in the darkness. The light of the torch clearly shows the door, but everything is yellow/orange from the firelight, so almost impossible for a human to see any changes in color let alone patterns

The Baron sighs: "Allright, tie this one to a rope and brace for a potential drop" One of the bodyguards ties a rope across Auris' waist. The both bodyguards grab the rope and brace themselves.

Baron: "Ok, well you're good to go...careful lads"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2012, 11:29:25 AM
Auris

Auris walks down the stairs till about 7/10th of the way down. He kneels, and starts going over the stonework, muttering some nonsense - barely audibly - as he goes on. A good show is half the deception, afterall. Then, after a minute or two, he shouts back: "lower Duror as well, I'm not strong enough on my own! And give him a metal pin of some sort - the thong of a belt buckle, whatever."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 21, 2012, 11:50:06 AM
Baron

Sighs and waves for Duror to be lowered as well. He then says to Borek: "Get over here to secure the lads in case they're not able to hold the halfling and the dwarf"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2012, 11:56:35 AM
Auris

Sees Duror is coming down, and prepares to have a few quick words in private with him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 21, 2012, 05:57:16 PM
Duror

As Duror is lowered  down, he noticed Aurius.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2012, 08:30:34 PM
Auris

Audible, probably for the rest too: "great, now apply pressure here, and be careful of any nasty stuff coming out. Give me that pin and ..." "No!" softer: "you should use it as f..." Auris gradually lets his voice drop so much only Duror could possible hear it. A bit later, he moves in such a way people on top of the stairs cannot see he's whispering in his ear.

OOC: evil plans made by PM.  O0
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 21, 2012, 11:01:52 PM
Duror


Duror grunts, points to the stairs, and shakes his head.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 22, 2012, 05:59:52 AM
Baron

Shouts downstairs: "What's going on down there?...we need to move forward!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 22, 2012, 01:39:11 PM
Duror

Moves forward slowly, with his hands on the rope.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 22, 2012, 05:14:09 PM
Auris

"A few more minutes, it's doable, but it's a *****ing complex trap."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 23, 2012, 07:31:45 AM
Baron

"Well hurry"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 25, 2012, 10:15:16 AM
Auris

When Mobius appears to be done with his sabotage, Auris makes some more strange noises, scratches his nails along the stone for additional sound effects, and yells: "that's it!"

He then quickly unties the rope which was to prevent him from falling (not that there was ever any danger, he thinks) and runs straight to the next door, hoping to trigger the next event.

At the last step, he shouts "Son of a " and then falls silent.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 26, 2012, 08:54:50 AM
As Auris moves along, the door to the next door opens, as does the door that exits the room


Baron: "What is it? ...men follow me" and the group starts descending the stairs
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 27, 2012, 07:53:53 AM
Auris and Duror see another circular room. This one is surprisingly plain and what is also different is that the opposite door is already open. Not much to see though, as it is dark. Those with dark vision see the ceiling slope down again, so probably another stairway begins at the other side of the room.

In the room you see large tiles on the floor (roughly the size of two feet). Underneath the floor and in the walls, you can see moving figures. On further inspection the look like trapped agonized souls clawing to get out, but not being able to. It's a horrendous sight to see. On the ceiling a large lidless eyes stares down on the souls below
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 27, 2012, 09:11:45 AM
Auris, apparently disgusted and a bit distraught, backs off till behind the baron and his guards.

He thinks: the first one to get a small nudge into that room is a goner. Better not me - and ideally one of the baron's cronies. Just a small push, but he doesn't see yet how he could make it appear an accident, as a small halfling can't push so much weight around by accident....

Auris looks around to asses the situation of his companions.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 27, 2012, 11:18:55 AM
The rest of the group comes down as well.

The baron stops at the the opening of the room and looks inside, he turns back in disgust and you can see a hint of worry. Borek walks over and sticks his head inside the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 27, 2012, 01:35:52 PM
Mobius
 
Bringing up the rear, he descends the stairs behind everyone else but seems to slip on a stair near the bottom.  He stumbles down the last few and bumps into Borek before regaining his balance.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 27, 2012, 02:18:46 PM
Duror

Pushes his way through the big people and looks in the room.

(Will make a Perception roll)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 27, 2012, 06:40:20 PM
Mobius does indeed stumble, but he doesn't manage to bump into Borek...instead he bumps into the Baron, who is NOT amused...one of the bodyguards roughly picks him up and pushes him away again

This does however give Duror the opportunity to peek inside the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 27, 2012, 09:48:58 PM
I try to gain Nameless' attention and then make him a signal that I've broken free of the ropes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 27, 2012, 10:17:51 PM
I try to gain Nameless' attention and then make him a signal that I've broken free of the ropes.

Nameless.

If I see his inquiry, I nod and try to indicate I've done the same. (Go us! :) )
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 27, 2012, 10:48:30 PM
Mobius
 
Reaches out with his senses to see what's happening in the room from an arcane standpoint.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 28, 2012, 02:09:40 PM
Auris

While everyone is busy/preoccupied with the next trap, Auris tries to figure out what happened to our weapons and his compagnions.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2012, 03:53:50 PM
There's been a bit of chaos with Mobius falling and mutliple people trying to look into the room. Time to restore some order. Mobius is picked up and shoved backwards. The Baron nods to one of the bodyguards and indicates they need to secure Duror again. Which they promptly do.

The staircase is roughly three people wide, so it is quite cramped. The baron and the two bodyguards are standing at the front with Auris and Duror. Borek is in the middle of the people with Mobius and the last guard is at the rear. Between Borek and the guard are the rest of the group

Baron: "Ok, so everyone has gotten a good view of the room"...he turns to the the halfling: "You seem to be the master trapmaker. Figure out how to disarm this trap, or I fear one of your friends will need to 'volunteer'"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 28, 2012, 06:37:09 PM
Mobius
 
"If I may, sir.  The room seems to be traversed on specific tiles.  Not sure what the holes in the walls mean, but something likely needs to be inserted in the correct holes for the room to be traversed correctly.  Since you're indicating a volunteer, it seems like your information does not include safely navigating this room and everyone is likely to become part of the collection in the walls or returning empty handed."
 
muttering under his breath, "Pity you weren't trustworthy."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 29, 2012, 09:01:45 AM
Baron

"Well...see it as additional motivation to find out the secret of this room quickly"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 29, 2012, 01:05:39 PM
Auris

"Well, baron" - the word comes out as if Auris has just eaten something very foul - "who's to say this trap even can be defeated?" Mellowing his tone a bit before he gets 'volunteered' immediately, he continues: "the magic part of this is beyond me, unlike the first trap. I'd propose to see if we can sent someone over without touching the floor at all. If you can secure a bit of wood or equipment in those holes, a good acrobat might get across. Then a rope between the two doors, and we could cross - or be part of Sauron's collection here."

He spits on the floor and sighs.

"So, what kind of equipment did this well-planned expedition bring?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 29, 2012, 01:38:55 PM
The holes are pretty much out of reach for you, unless you have a really long pole and there doesn't seem to be anything that comes near such a thing.

Baron: "You my dear fellow are my equipment, besides the room's magic will probably detect a presence, I doubt a simple burglary trick will circumvent Sauron's devices. But I was hoping you'd come up with something more clever...alas I will have to revert to my original plan"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 29, 2012, 05:46:11 PM
Mobius
 
"And leave here empty handed.  Might I be released briefly to see if a phantasm will trigger anything?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 29, 2012, 06:13:36 PM
Baron

Snaps at Mobius: "I'LL be the judge of that!" "Your puny magic will not work here...magic has been blocked from the moment we entered this staircase...probably only the magic of Sauron himself works here" He touches an amulet on his chest as if to make a point (those remembering the fight could realise this is what activated his magical armor)

"But this is taking too long...I appreciate you volunteering, instead of using one of your phantasms, we'll just have to settle with you and see what happens" As if on cue, the two bodyguards step forward and grab Mobius and push him towards the entrance of the room

ooc: next round Mobius will be forced to enter the room...any actions?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 29, 2012, 08:34:51 PM
Richard looks to Nameless to see if he's alert; he then approaches the baron casually and tries to steal his sword and fight him, saying "Let's go lads, let's get them down!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 29, 2012, 09:24:29 PM
Richard looks to Nameless to see if he's alert; he then approaches the baron casually and tries to steal his sword and fight him, saying "Let's go lads, let's get them down!"

Nameless is alert and the player assumes he saw Richard's signal, but the player would like a map of the hall just in case. I believe there are men on either end of our group? (Baron and his at front, others at back)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 29, 2012, 10:37:55 PM
Mobius
 
Upon Baron's remarks he works on getting out of his restraints.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 30, 2012, 06:07:05 AM
Auris

Auris tries to disappear up the stairs (he knows there isn't a trap, afterall) so that he isn't reduced to ankle-biting when there is a fight. 'A surprise attack is the halflings best friend', a cousin of him once said.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 30, 2012, 11:30:40 AM
Before Richard can get to the sword of the Baron, he notices him approaching.

Baron: "Hey, who cut you loose!" He immediately draws a long knife (short sword). Borek doesn't hesitate either and makes a grappling attack against Richard. Meanwhile the two bodyguards give Mobius a big shove into the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 30, 2012, 01:31:19 PM
Mobius
 
"Oh sure!  Pick on the little guy!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 30, 2012, 01:56:04 PM
Mobius is successfully shoved in the room...he stumbles into it...as he walks on the tiles, they slowly go downwards a bit...he stumbles along for 3-4 tiles into the room then is able to stop himself. As he stops, he can feel the tile sink a bit...nothing else happens...there he wriggles around and loosens his binds, so he can free his hands

Meanwhile, Borek successfully grapples Richard and is now holding him. Richard will need to break free to make an action, the two bodyguards turn around and draw their long knives as well

ooc: actions please


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 30, 2012, 10:56:45 PM
ooc: actions please

Nameless will back up parallel to the guard in the back, as if he is trying to get away from the developing melee, and then try to club the guard (Brawling).

** Do you want melee rolls in this thread or our personal threads?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 31, 2012, 07:27:16 AM
I'll try to get loose of Borek's grapple kicking and punching. If the fight looks hopeless with the 2 other bodyguards coming for me, I surrender.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 31, 2012, 07:39:26 AM
The guard at the back blocks Nameless'retreat: "Where do you think you're going!"

ooc: @ old man please roll in personal thread. @ dalewarrior: roll either a brawling or strength check roll
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 31, 2012, 08:09:02 AM
Duror


In the confusion, the dwarf, now loose of his rope, dashes across the tiles to the open door at the far side of the room.


BMR  40 ' = (8' x 5)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 31, 2012, 08:34:24 AM
Meanwhile Borek is able to hang on to Richard...the two bodyguards reach him and are caught completely unaware of the dashing Dwarf running into the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 31, 2012, 01:29:21 PM
Mobius

Attempts to tap his arcane energies but feels it blocked.  He sighs and draws his rapier and backs farther into the room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 03, 2012, 08:27:15 AM
Nameless, tries to sneak up on the guard at the rear. Unfortunately he stumbles awkwardly, then still tries to punch the guard, but ends up hitting the wall (5 hits)

The guard snaps to attention and shouts: "Another is free!" then approaches Nameless with short sword drawn with the intent of either ensuring he surrenders, or stabbing him shouting: "On the floor face down, or I will gut you where you stand"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 03, 2012, 08:35:48 AM
Richard surrenders and is pushed to the ground, with Borek tying his hand policement style, one of the two bodyguards looks around for Auris, while the other looks over to the guard in the rear, to see if he's doing ok. The Baron seems especially interested to see what happens to the crazed dwarf running into the room and Mobius moving further back

As Duror runs in the room, you can see the tiles slightly pressing into the ground and then depressing themselves...the same happens to Mobius as he backs up further into the room...the air seems filled with anticipation as what will happen next. You can even see the trapped spirits watching to see what happens now
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 03, 2012, 12:01:32 PM
Nameless, tries to sneak up on the guard at the rear. Unfortunately he stumbles awkwardly, then still tries to punch the guard, but ends up hitting the wall (5 hits)

The guard snaps to attention and shouts: "Another is free!" then approaches Nameless with short sword drawn with the intent of either ensuring he surrenders, or stabbing him shouting: "On the floor face down, or I will gut you where you stand"


Nameless snarls, "Try it ..." and readies himself (Brawling to DB if you allow such) and if he misses, Nameless will try to move the other direction (stretching out the group).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 03, 2012, 02:39:49 PM
The guard lunges forward, but Nameless in a heroic display of acrobatics jumps up against the wall and lands behind the shocked guard (Jacky Chan style)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 04, 2012, 02:21:44 PM
Auris

Auris sees all this happening, and while unhappy with the premature move, sees that the time has come to try and prevent a bloody dedimation of the party.

From his position well up the stairs, he shouts:

"Fools! You're standing in that trap. Let go; there will be no killing unless you want me to set off this trap again and be the end of you all! Nameless, Richard, Grixis, and you (indicating the last adventurer*), come over here!!"

* OOC: which has gone unnamed, so far, it seems.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 04, 2012, 02:59:12 PM
While Auris makes a scene at the top of the stairs, Duror has successfully traversed the room and is standing on the other side...Mobius is still walking to the other side...the Baron's mouth drops in amazement....he appears utterly unsure what to do next


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 04, 2012, 03:46:08 PM
The baron and his guards seem unimpressed by Auris' claim that the trap is still active and he can activate it from up there...

One of the bodyguards gets up, while the other and Borek finish tying up Richard and he starts walking up the stairs towards Nameless and the guard...he points towards Auris and shouts angrily: "Get over here, or I'll make you eat your hairy feet you F@#$A%*g midget"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 04, 2012, 03:56:57 PM
Auris wastes no time, and moves to the entrance of the previous room.

He enters it just as the guard coming up is about to reach him, so that both would find themselves in the room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 04, 2012, 04:28:19 PM
Duror


Seeing the commotion at the other end of the room, Duror turns to see what lies ahead... 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 04, 2012, 05:44:00 PM
Mobius
 
Follows in Duror's path as much as possible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 04, 2012, 07:59:26 PM
Duror

Noticing Mobius approaching, Duror waits to see if he makes it across successfully before proceeding to the next chamber.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 04, 2012, 10:37:13 PM
Auris wastes no time, and moves to the entrance of the previous room.

He enters it just as the guard coming up is about to reach him, so that both would find themselves in the room.

Nameless, having gotten behind the guard, attempts to push him into the approaching bodyguard and then will retreat back up to wherever Auris is calling from.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 05, 2012, 07:57:17 AM
Unfortunately the guard catches Nameless before he can move on him and only due to his great reflexes is able to get away with only a minor slash across the arm (9hits)...however, he is unable to push the guard away.

Next round, both the guard and the bodyguard will attack nameless

Meanwhile, Mobius is able to traverse the room without getting hurt and is on the other side, where he's greeted by Duror.

The Baron now looks as if he's seeing water burn...he shouts: "hold up for the rest of us!...tell us how you got across!" then motions to Borek and the bodyguard..."or we'll throw your friend in the room to die"

Borek and the bodyguard pick up Richard and start carrying him towards the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 05, 2012, 01:31:36 PM
Duror


Laughing, says to Mobius: "Ha! Fate favors us! Let's continue to the next room to see if we can outsmart the Dark Lord's traps."  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 05, 2012, 01:36:11 PM
Mobius
 
Returning Durors euphoria with a laugh of his own.  "Nonono, my fierce friend.  Let's watch the baron cross this danger ridden room.  Not a drop of dwarven blood in him, he doesn't stand a chance!"
 
He laughs some more before continuing, "Must I remind you, baron, that you threw me in first?  I don't think that is much of a threat anymore."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 05, 2012, 02:04:37 PM
At that remark the Baron is literally fuming at the mouth...he shouts at his two guards: "Throw him in!" and the guards start throwing Richard into the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 05, 2012, 02:08:05 PM
Duror

To Mobius- "The Baron is a fool- l intent to proceed to the next chamber? Will you come?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 05, 2012, 03:24:40 PM
Mobius
 
Shakes his head at the Baron as he turns his back on the Baron and proceeds down the hall to the next chamber, "Let's mosey Duror."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 05, 2012, 05:06:11 PM
Duror

Proceeds towards the next chamber that is emanating a red glow... 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 05, 2012, 05:34:09 PM
You see a massive circular chamber In the middles of the chamber is a sort of alchemist altar/workbench, but this one is round, made from black eog and has an eog hand reaching up from it...out of the palm of the hand appears to slowly flow magma, which is collected beneath in the altar. The magmacrust once in awhile breaks open to reveal a faint red glow.

Connected to the round chamber are 4 semi circular sub chambers, each being empty, except for a massive alchemist altar/workbench, as far as you can see from here. At the other end of the circular chamber is another corridor similar to this one.

It's pretty hot in here...

The darkness prohibits you to see more details than these massive sculptures


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 05, 2012, 09:21:11 PM

Meanwhile, Nameless calls out (from behind a guard and a bodyguard, somewhere between the front and the back of the group), "Hey, could use a hand here!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 05, 2012, 10:02:14 PM
Moments later the guard and the bodyguard attack. Nameless tries to grapple with the guard in order to get the guard in the way of the bodyguards. His grapple unfortunately doesn't stick...however, the guard is still shaken by the grapple and fumbles his attack...the bodyguard on the other hand attacks determinedly and stabs Nameless in the leg. Nameless falls to the ground bleeding


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 06, 2012, 02:10:35 AM
Moments later the guard and the bodyguard attack. Nameless tries to grapple with the guard in order to get the guard in the way of the bodyguards. His grapple unfortunately doesn't stick...however, the guard is still shaken by the grapple and fumbles his attack...the bodyguard on the other hand attacks determinedly and stabs Nameless in the leg. Nameless falls to the ground bleeding

Nameless tries to push himself upright, back against a wall, waiting to see what anyone does next ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 06, 2012, 07:29:57 AM
On the other side of the room...Richard is pushed into the room...he stumbles in and then tries to correctly traverse the room...and miraculously succeeds as well.

The Baron now openly frustrated shouts: "Ghaaa...this doesn't make any sense" He turns away top ponder what to do next...then shouts at the bodyguard near Duror: "Don't kill him, but bring him here...and go fetch the halfling as well...I need more volunteers"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 06, 2012, 11:15:32 AM
Duror


Proceeds into the chamber to check out the alchemist tale and Eog hand.


 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 06, 2012, 01:31:54 PM
Mobius
 
Looks around the room using his arcane sight as well as his enhanced dark vision before proceeding.  He reaches out to Duror to restrain him a few moments, "Hold friend.  I'm checking for anything... unusual.  Give me a few moments."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 06, 2012, 01:54:05 PM
Duror


"Hurry, it sounds like someone may be coming..."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 07, 2012, 11:16:46 AM
The guard and bodyguard attack again, but Nameless even though he's hurt badly, is able to stay clear of their attacks...he scrambles up the stairs, but is unable to outrun them...they attack again
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 07, 2012, 01:39:50 PM
Mobius
 
"Ugh!" he moans as he closes his eyes and rumbs them with one hand, letting Duror go.  "That was a mistake.  Should have known better."
 
After a few moments he enters the room searching for anything left behind that could be of use.  "I doubt this one is trapped.  Looks like the Dark Lord's magical forge."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 07, 2012, 02:22:54 PM
Duror,


"Agreed. Let's see where Sauron forged his Ring." Duror moves into the room towards the alchemist table.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 07, 2012, 02:41:44 PM
In the main room there is nothing, except for the magical forge...no tools were used here, just very powerful magic...you can tell that the magma flowing down from the hand has less power than it once did, perhaps due to the mountain exploding...nevertheless it gives off tremendous heat. This forge must provide more heat than any forge in Eä. Still the forge itself and the eog hand are not affected by the hot lava.

That this is a profoundly powerful magical place is also apparent to the lay man...the runes almost emit a sort of magnetic hummm...even afer all these years. It must be these runes, the power of the mountain and the power of the dark lord himself that must have made it possible to create his powerful artifacts.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 07, 2012, 02:43:32 PM
Back on the stairs, Nameless is attacked again, he tries an acrobatic move to get away, but miscalculates in the dark and due to the stairs. He stumbles...this causes the guard to miss, but the bodyguard mercilessly slashes his other leg. Nameless stumbles again and is now bleeding from both legs...the bodyguard commands: "Surrender!"

ooc: Nameless is one round of dodging away from the position of Auris
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 07, 2012, 05:24:40 PM
Duror


Reading the on the Table runes, he can make out the Black Speech, One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. ;evil)

Duror will see what's down the next corridor.
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 07, 2012, 05:56:41 PM
Mobius
 
Heads towards the next chamber with Duror.  When he arrives he'll scan the area using his arcane senses once again.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 09:36:15 AM
While Mobius looks into one of the side rooms, Duror disappears down the corridor at the end of the large circular room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 09:41:35 AM
Meanwhile, Nameless appears to fall unconscious from that last blow...the guard quickly sheathes his sword and starts binding the hands of nameless...

The bodyguard runs up to Auris and will attack him next round if Auris stands his ground
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 10, 2012, 10:47:53 AM
Auris retreats into the room with the previous trap, entering just before the bodyguard, drawing the guard in as well. He stays out of the physical reach of the bodyguard, circling around to set off the trap.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 11:15:54 AM
The bodyguard runs into the room as well...the moment you're both in, the two doors close again and the same voice you heard before asks the riddle
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 11:16:11 AM
Meanwhile, Richard calls out to Mobius and Duror
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 10, 2012, 01:33:26 PM
Mobius
 
Turns his head and seeing Richard, motions him on.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 03:22:24 PM
A large crack can be heard, which reverbrates all the way through the rooms and the staircase. It's as if the mountain expanded slightly and somewhere a massive stone wall cracked
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 10, 2012, 03:41:45 PM
Richard walks near to Mobius and says, "What if we try one of the siderooms? Maybe we can find information as to how to retrieve the items safely."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 10, 2012, 03:43:46 PM
Auris

Auris adresses the guard stuck in the trap with him. "Do you hear that? That was the trap on the stairs, ready to kill you as you rejoin the baron." Auris laughs wickedly. "But first you need to get out of this trap. That will crush you nicely as well".

"In fact, you remember that it works by the ceiling lowering itself? Your big unwieldy back will be crushed before even one of my hairs is touched. And yes, I do know how to disarm the traps, so be careful with that sword of yours".

Auris continues talking in this way, all the while circling out of reach of the guard, and shouting loudly, so that when the riddle is asked, the bodyguard will not hear it clearly, but drowned out by Auris' shouting.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 03:57:54 PM
Bodyguard

"Your bluffing...you wouldn't enter this trap, unless you were certain you'd leave it alive...you'd better disarm it now, or I'll run you through"

At that moment, the trap activates and the wall starts to lower...meanwhile, the bodyguard positions himself as to be able to attack Auris next round
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 10, 2012, 04:03:12 PM
Duror

Duror takes the dwarven hammer and a skull from the pillar. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 10, 2012, 04:22:23 PM
Auris

"Oh, I plan to leave it alive. And should you run me through, we'll die together, and I'll die a more pleasant death than as one of the baron's 'volunteers'. But let's face it, you'll be crushed well before I am. Halfling's advantage, you know."

Auris prepares to dodge and evade the guard.

"So, let's make it simple. If you want to leave here alive, you take off your magical necklace - it won't work against traps made by Sauron himself anyway, and all weapons you have, and throw them in my direction. Then you can leave this room alive too."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 10, 2012, 05:42:14 PM
Mobius
 
Enters into one of the side chambers of the main one he's currently in.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 10, 2012, 06:29:55 PM
Richard enters another of the side rooms.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 07:24:16 PM
Bodyguard to Auris:

Looks at him puzzled: "What magical necklace?" "Regardless, you're halfling advantage means nothing when you're lying on the floor bleeding like your little friend" an he lunges forward to cut Auris
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 10, 2012, 07:28:47 PM
Duror,

To Richard and Mobius, "Brothers- arm yourselves with the Dark Lord's trophies! Shall we press in into the breached wall or wait for the Baron to arrive with his forces?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 07:55:27 PM
ooc: do you shout this, or do you walk back to the main room to tell them?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 10, 2012, 08:01:06 PM
I shout out to them.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 10, 2012, 08:20:43 PM
Richard comes and takes the sceptre of Númenor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 08:36:27 PM
The bodyguard lunges at Auris, who tries to jump away, but isn't quick enough...the bodyguard strikes him in the elbow, Auris is hurt badly and is bleeding
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
After that strike, the bodyguard bumps his head against the lowering ceiling...he has one more attack, before he will need to drop to his knees...he shouts at Auris: "Stop this trap or I swear to god I will take you with me" and attacks again
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2012, 08:43:52 PM
Meanwhile, the guard picks up nameless and drags him to the baron...the baron slaps nameless across the face to wake him up and then says: "Throw him in the room, in his state he should definitely set off the trap...Borek and the guard then proceed to throw Nameless in...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 10, 2012, 10:14:35 PM
Duror

"Good Richard! Where is Mobius?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 10, 2012, 11:03:25 PM
Meanwhile, the guard picks up nameless and drags him to the baron...the baron slaps nameless across the face to wake him up and then says: "Throw him in the room, in his state he should definitely set off the trap...Borek and the guard then proceed to throw Nameless in...

Given my bleeding, I figure I am actually unconscious .... :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 10, 2012, 11:11:41 PM
Mobius
 
Shouts over his shoulder running into a chamber, "Opposite of you, Duror."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 11, 2012, 11:26:42 AM
ooc: nope, just in a lot of pain
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 11, 2012, 07:03:33 PM
Mobius
 
Exiting one of the side chambers he peeks in the next one to see if any items exist.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 07:38:32 AM
No items, just powerful runes and an alchemist workplace
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 07:39:04 AM
At that moment another loud crack can be heard, which reverberates through the chambers
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 07:46:39 AM
Meanwhile in the trap room:

The bodyguard slashes at Auris...he dodges an otherwise fatal blow, but still manages to get some ribs cracked...however, the ceiling now forces the bodyguard to his knees, rendering him unable to come after Auris he shouts: "Damn you hobbit...get us out of here"

ooc: next round, Auris too, will be forced to his knees...the round after he'll be lying down, the round after that...splat
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 12, 2012, 07:58:49 AM
Auris

Auris moves to the other side of the room, saying to the guard: "throw your sword and all weapons in my direction. Take off your boots and throw them too. Don't make me repeat it too often, or I'll torture you even in hell"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 09:23:21 AM
Bodyguard

"NEVER..." he crawls towards Auris, swinging his sword to emphasize his point...at the same time he tests to see if he can stop the ceiling at all by pushing at it with his back...to no avail of course
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 12, 2012, 11:16:51 AM
I handle the sceptre to Duror to see if he can make an attunement roll to see what the item's magic abilities are.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 12, 2012, 01:28:16 PM
Mobius
 
Seeing that the alchemist chambers don't seem to have anything of worth, he makes his way to where Duror and Richard are.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 12, 2012, 01:31:12 PM
Duror


To Richard, "My attunement is poor, but I can appraise the item and try and discern its history"


[OCC- rolls in personal thread]
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 12, 2012, 01:40:15 PM
Duror


To Richard and Mobius:


"Brothers- what say you? Now we're armed, do we take fight to the Baron and his men or press onward?


[OCC- is the crack forming in the lava bubble or is it somewhere else?]
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 01:46:41 PM
The crack is forming in the lava bubble
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 12, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
OCC- How big is the crack and is anything coming out of it?]
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 03:23:08 PM
you can see a faint red glow emanating from the crack...nothing is coming out of it
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 12, 2012, 03:24:24 PM
Auris

Keeping well out of the way and to the back of the bodyguard, Auris continues to taunt the bodyguard.

"Enjoy life as a halfling! Oh wait, you cannot be that small ... and live. Pity."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 04:26:02 PM
The bodyguard frantically tries to move over to Auris, but this is getting increasingly more difficult...he tries desperately to hold the ceiling...to no avail...then the ceiling becomes to low to even sit and he gets on his stomach and starts crawling to Auris...moments later Auris needs to lie down as well as the ceiling is getting ever lower

The bodyguard yells at Auris: "Get us out of here you damn Hobbit!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 12, 2012, 05:17:47 PM
Richard asks Mobius to Attune the sceptre's magical abilities.

OOC: Is there some item we haven't picked yet from the Dark Lord's trophies column? Until now, we have no more magical or OB abilities. Wait, maybe these trophies are powerless and if we take them all the ceiling will crack. Are there more other rooms that go down? When I put the sceptre in the column, does the crack recede?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2012, 06:13:55 PM
There's an elven sword, a black mace and a black dragon scale armor still on the pillar...the hammer and sceptre are definitely magical, you just haven't attuned yet. When you put the sceptre back, nothing happens with the crack.

There are no more rooms or ways further down...the room with the bulging lava seems to be the end.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 12, 2012, 10:45:50 PM
Mobius
 
Takes the sceptre and attempts to attune to it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2012, 12:05:37 PM
Meanwhile the bodyguard is starting to panic: "Damn you Hobbit, damn you to hell...you must have a deathwish or something...ok, ok...I give up, here's my sword" and he throws his sword to him..."Now get us out of here...this is no way to die for a soldier"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2012, 12:24:34 PM
At the same time, Nameless stumbles across to the room again without setting off the trap...this competely freaks out the Baron...he shouts to Borek and the guard: "The trap must not be working anymore...quickly, after him, before he reaches the treasure" The guard and Borek make to enter the room, but at the last moment, the Baron pulls back Borek, which leaves the guard entering the room by himself...

He runs into the room and out of the small halls in the walls come dozens of large thin spikes, which run the hapless guardsman through...he dies instantly, after which the spikes retract...the lifeless body of the guard falls to the ground bleeding from dozens of wounds all over his body like the trapped souls all around him
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2012, 12:26:01 PM
ooc: This is the last nameless sees, unless he sticks around to see what happens next...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 13, 2012, 12:40:13 PM
Meanwhile, Richard talks to Mobius as to what he has found out in the side rooms.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 13, 2012, 01:46:15 PM
Meanwhile the bodyguard is starting to panic: "Damn you Hobbit, damn you to hell...you must have a deathwish or something...ok, ok...I give up, here's my sword" and he throws his sword to him..."Now get us out of here...this is no way to die for a soldier"

Auris

Auris shouts "Fëanor" once again. Immediately he grabs the sword, and tells the guard "And now take off your boots too".
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2012, 02:05:44 PM
Nothing happens...the ceiling keeps coming down
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 13, 2012, 02:06:00 PM
Duror


[OCC- How large is the dragon scale armor? Is it human sized?]


 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2012, 02:51:17 PM
ooc: larger than human
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 13, 2012, 09:40:05 PM
Meanwhile, Richard talks to Mobius as to what he has found out in the side rooms.

No, salute the Baron once again, and stagger off/down stairs to wherever I can find the others, "Hola ... Anyone? Need a bandage here!" Nameless calls out.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 14, 2012, 12:16:59 AM
Mobius
 
"Wounded?  Come over here" he says as he puts down the items he was atooning too in order to provide healing.  "What kind of injuries you got?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 14, 2012, 12:23:21 AM
Mobius
 
"Wounded?  Come over here" he says as he puts down the items he was atooning too in order to provide healing.  "What kind of injuries you got?"

Nameless shuffle/limp/drags himself there. You see that he's got two deep cuts, one across each thigh, both bleeding slowly and revealing muscle damage (25 CP each, -20 wound, 1 per bleeder). Other bruises and slashes are evident but minor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 14, 2012, 02:04:02 PM
Mobius is able to heal you completely once you get to the proper side chamber...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 14, 2012, 10:25:10 PM
Mobius is able to heal you completely once you get to the proper side chamber...

OK. Anything (other than progression of game time) preventing Nameless from doing such ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 16, 2012, 06:53:48 AM
No, nameless is able to shuffle into the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 16, 2012, 06:56:57 AM
Meanwhile, in the trap room things are getting cramped...the bodyguard starts screaming, while his armour is starting to get crushed and his skull and ribs are getting more and more pressure...there isn't much room for Auris to maneuver either...he frantically tries to find a way out...suddenly by a miracle he sees there's a ceiling painting, he can't make out what kind of figure is depicted, but in the eye of the painting, is a small hole, just where the iris is supposed to be. Auris wiggles towards it a crams his chubby little fingers in it...something clicks and the ceiling starts to raise again...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 16, 2012, 10:43:57 AM
As soon as Auris can move again, he takes the discarded sword, and checks - from a safe distance - if the guard is still alive, and what his injuries might be.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 16, 2012, 01:05:40 PM
No, nameless is able to shuffle into the room

"Mobius, many thanks .... " Nameless looks about, "What is on this side of the traps? I heard one of the Baron's guards fall to the trap after I escaped certain death ... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 17, 2012, 01:04:46 PM
Mobius
 
"The items the baron was looking for.  Come."  And Mobius hurries back to the other room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 17, 2012, 01:32:23 PM
Meanwhile in the trap room, the bodyguard stands up and graps his head...his helmet, seems crushed against his skull and it hurts...as is his body armor against his chest...he's limping from the pain, but doesn't hesitate and runs out of the room, towards where the baron is
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 17, 2012, 02:01:38 PM
Auris

Auris grabs his sword - its now his - pulls his clothes in a somewhat more presentable shape, and moves to the door-opening. He shouts at the baron:
"baron, I strongly suggest you hire better staff in the future. This so-called bodyguard of yours might do for target practice, but little else."
As he descends the stairs, he adds "In fact, a halfling would do a much better job. Consider this a job application."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 17, 2012, 02:39:28 PM
As Auris is descending the stairs...he's just in time to witness Borek entering the trap room below and getting skewered by dozens of small spikes coming from the walls...he drops down bleeding with multiple holes in his body, just like the trapped spirits below...he falls next to the guard Auris saw previously...the Baron screams in frustration, pulling literally at his hair, as he tries to comprehend...at that point, Auris makes his speech...

The baron turns and is frozen in space for a moment...then as calm as possible says: "Come down and we'll discuss that application of yours...you seem to quite useful"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 17, 2012, 06:42:34 PM
Richard reflects, 'This sword looks really good. I have sword proficiency. Let's take it.' He takes the sword and makes an Attunement check.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 17, 2012, 09:20:34 PM
Richard reflects, 'This sword looks really good. I have sword proficiency. Let's take it.' He takes the sword and makes an Attunement check.

Nameless says, "I have some skill with sword, bow and the use of items. Are there others unclaimed?" Nameless will look about for another sword or a bow.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 17, 2012, 10:01:18 PM
Richard says to Nameless, "You should check the Númenórean sceptre and the Elven ring; both Attunements were a failure for the party."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 18, 2012, 07:03:17 AM
Another crack can be heard and it appears in the large bulge of petrified lava...however this time it is followed by a large deep rumble that reverberates through the mountain...those who look at the bulge, now see hot lava seeping through it...with the cracks getting wider and wider and more lava progressively flowing out. You can tell it's only a matter of time before it comes flowing in at a rapid speed.

ooc: as a friendly reminder, there's still a suit of armor and a black mace on the pillar.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 18, 2012, 12:40:02 PM
Quote
"Great ! Maybe someone should get the mace and we should get us going, the armour staying as our insurance policy that Mount Doom doesn't fall on our head," says Richard.   
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 18, 2012, 01:01:36 PM
Mobius
 
Picks up the mace and returns to the previous chamber before attempting anything.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 18, 2012, 02:21:01 PM
Duror

Duror has the ring obtained from the smashed skull and is wearing it (to no effect). He is also carrying the dwarven hammer taken from the pillar.

Seeing the lava coming, Duror will move out of the room...

(OCC:  is the room with he pillar/ lava a dead end? Is there a door to the room?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 18, 2012, 03:05:41 PM
ooc: the door with the pillar is a dead end
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 18, 2012, 04:17:37 PM
The lava is increasingly starting to pour out of the cracks...it seems that nothing will stop it anymore...

ooc: if anyone wants to do something in the room, they need to do it quick...there are roughly 2 rounds left before it becomes unbearably hot in the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 18, 2012, 05:21:48 PM
Richard

I go to the healing room to ready myself for the fight with the baron; then say "Let's move on and deal with the baron ! "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 18, 2012, 05:24:20 PM
Duror


Leaves the lava room and proceeds to the prior room. He will take the armor and other item if no one else does...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 18, 2012, 10:58:01 PM
Duror


Leaves the lava room and proceeds to the prior room. He will take the armor and other item if no one else does...



Anything left? If so, Nameless will grab whatever it is and follow the rest to where they gather ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 19, 2012, 09:17:02 AM
The armor was the last piece...

The lavaflow has now fully covered the floor of the other room...you hear more cracks and shudders...if you look back you can see more lava flowing in at faster rates...you don't know how long it will be when the bulge collapses completely, but when it does, you need to be gone
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 19, 2012, 01:31:15 PM
Mobius
 
Quickly enters the next side room of the chamber to see if there's anything that happens.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 19, 2012, 02:40:33 PM
Auris

Auris surveys the damage. Having had one very close encounter with destiny already, he suspect that the others got over in a similar extremely lucky way, and he's not inclined to repeat that unless necessary.

He walks up to the baron and, not giving him the chance to speak for he starts himself, says "Obviously, you can only pay me if we get out of here alive. Now we could just as well put this poor excuse for a soldier - he taps his new sword against the half-crushed bodyguard's boots - in as well, but it wouldn't get us across. It looks like you have to pay a piece of your soul to traverse this room, as it were. Some can do that, some cannot..." As the noise grows more omnious he adds "but assumptions are worth a mare's balls, let's first see how the situation is on the other side. Maybe they've found an exit, maybe treasure, and maybe a dead end."

He then shouts:
"Mobius, Duror, Nameless, Richard! What's the status over there? We have some erm, changes in our composition over here you might be interested in! And what the heck is causing that noise?! Do we need to work on another trap just as the one in the stairs?"

Auris hopes that the rest will get the hint from that last bit and indicate if another ruse is needed.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 19, 2012, 03:02:39 PM
Quote
Auris surveys the damage. Having had one very close encounter with destiny already, he suspect that the others got over in a similar extremely lucky way, and he's not inclined to repeat that unless necessary.

He walks up to the baron and, not giving him the chance to speak for he starts himself, says "Obviously, you can only pay me if we get out of here alive. Now we could just as well put this poor excuse for a soldier - he taps his new sword against the half-crushed bodyguard's boots - in as well, but it wouldn't get us across. It looks like you have to pay a piece of your soul to traverse this room, as it were. Some can do that, some cannot..." As the noise grows more omnious he adds "but assumptions are worth a mare's balls, let's first see how the situation is on the other side. Maybe they've found an exit, maybe treasure, and maybe a dead end."


Before Auris has a chance to go near the baron, the other bodyguard draws his sword and gets ready to attack Auris...quickly the Baron touches his arm and makes him lower his weapon: "No, no...I believe the hobbit understands that this was all business...most practical...tell me hobbit, do you know a way across this room?"

Quote
He then shouts:
"Mobius, Duror, Nameless, Richard! What's the status over there? We have some erm, changes in our composition over here you might be interested in! And what the heck is causing that noise?! Do we need to work on another trap just as the one in the stairs?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 19, 2012, 03:24:09 PM
The baron

"What are you planning to do?...but more importantly do you know a way across this room?" he pauzes for a moment to regain his composure "I need not remind you that given the circumstances, I do not have a lot of patience"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 19, 2012, 06:33:53 PM
Mobius
 
Upon hearing Auris he motions for everyone to stay out of sight and then approaches the entrance to the tiled trap room.  Leaving the prizes out of sight he calls across the room to Auris and the baron, "Aye, there's more traps over here.  It, uh..." he turns his head to look back into the chamber, "looks like we, erm." Looking back to Auris and the baron continues, "Triggered one.  It's, uh..." looking back again, "pretty messy over here."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 20, 2012, 08:06:08 AM
Auris

"Messy?" He spits on the floor, then continues in a very loud voice. "We have 2 deaths and a half crushed guard here, and you're talking about messy? Best if you would see if there's a way to continue after your room, if not you can best work your magic and come back here. As said, things have changed." Auris winks.

To the baron, in a low voice: "If they ruined the place over there, let them figure out if it's a dead end. We probably have taken the wrong route, and the treasure is elsewhere -  and we still need erm, 'staff' to deal with other traps. Trust my lead on this, again, we're having the same interests now."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 20, 2012, 08:36:29 AM
The baron curses under his breath then eyes Auris and says: "Tell them to get back here with whatever they found"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 20, 2012, 01:29:58 PM
Duror


Proceeds into the first chamber in the room with the Alchemist's table.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 20, 2012, 06:06:14 PM
Mobius
 
"It'll take a few minutes." he yells back to the baron before turning around and walking back into the chamber.  Meeting Duror, he holds him back (out of sight of the baron) and fills him in on the situation.  "I can make it look like one of you is pretty messed up.  We should be able to take him by surprise when we get there."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 20, 2012, 06:19:38 PM
Duror

"Aye, I'll follow your lead with the Baron." Brandishing his newly found hammer, he says, "Dwarfs don't like to be tied, or thrown for that matter. I have a score to settle with him..."
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 20, 2012, 09:20:45 PM
Mobius
 
"It'll take a few minutes." he yells back to the baron before turning around and walking back into the chamber.  Meeting Duror, he holds him back (out of sight of the baron) and fills him in on the situation.  "I can make it look like one of you is pretty messed up.  We should be able to take him by surprise when we get there."

Nameless says, "I already look messed up and I definitely have a score to settle ... Anyone grab an extra weapon? That sceptre might make a good club..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 20, 2012, 10:00:31 PM
Richard

"What do you say I test this beauty," and Richard holds Celembrimbor's sword in the hand, "and cast on him a +90 icebolt, 9x damage, max 600 feet. Then we proceed to charge against him. Sauron's gauntlet would make a nice grill out of him as well. Both weapons put to work for the same cause; they must be jumping in their tombs."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 20, 2012, 10:37:29 PM
Mobius
 
"Well all those comments give me an idea.  That sword," indicating the weapon in Richard's hand, "would do nicely from here after Duror whops our dear employer upside his head.  I can make Duror look half dead to lull the baron into a sense of ease.  When Duror raises his hammer you hit one of the remaining guards.  If I'm already over there this," hefting the guantlet, "will take care of anybody, provided I can land a hit, perhaps on the baron from behind?  Then again the baron will probably ask me to hand over the gauntlet once I'm over there. Hrmm..."
 
He thinks for a few moments...
 
"I think the best idea is to have Duror walk over disguised by my phantasm.  Once he's there, Richard targets the baron as Duror targets his guard of choice in a coordinated attack.  Hopefully Auris can handle anyone left."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 21, 2012, 01:13:40 AM
Richard

"I still think I should target the Baron on eyesight with my icebolt; he's much better of a swordsman than we and has a special armour. If he runs away then, he's got nowhere to run that we can't catch him."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 21, 2012, 10:24:54 AM
The lava is starting to flow in the main room and it's picking up speed, amidst sounds of cracking and rumbling...at the same time lava is now fountaining from the hand in the middle of the room...you need to be careful not to get hit by droplets of hot lava...

It's getting unbearably hot in the room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 21, 2012, 10:37:10 AM
Auris looks across the trap room and sees a faint red glow, and it's getting warmer. "Is that .... LAVA?! What the hell did you do there? Get everything of importance, and come here!"

To the baron: "we may need to run to stay ahead of the lava, but these bound ones won't be as fast." He points at Grixis, who's still there. "Best sent them to the top of the stairs already, they may still be of use."

Again, shouting across the room: "Hurry, or we'll be cinders!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 21, 2012, 11:15:12 AM
The Baron

Curses out loud..."Damn you people...you'd better not have destroyed the treasure!" then to Grixis and the last adventurer: "You two...get upstairs"

he then moves over to his two bodyguards and whispers something in their ears...one of the bodyguards hands a spare sword over to the crushed one and helps him get the dented helmet off and gets him out of his dented armor, so he can breathe and see without pain
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 21, 2012, 01:26:21 PM
Richard goes back to the entrance of the room and sees whether he can see the baron and his bodyguards. If yes, he'll discharge an ice bolt against the baron.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 21, 2012, 01:31:01 PM
Mobius
 
ooc: before Richard unleashes his attack.
 
"You are correct Richard.  We cross one at a time using the trapped room as a ruse.  Once Duror is on the other side he strikes at a guard you target the baron.  Then the rest of us cross over. We better get this started."
 
He walks back to the enterance of the chamber, "I told you it got messy, sheesh!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 21, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
Duror

"Aye- just point me in the direction and I'll strike."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 21, 2012, 01:50:06 PM
Richard does as agreed. He lets Duror cross; then unleashes an Ice bolt against the Baron.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 21, 2012, 02:07:55 PM
As Duror moves towards the trap chamber, he can see two dead bodies in the room...one of the guard, the other being Borek. Both are covered by dozens of punctures and a large pool of blood is spreading across the floor.

Behind you the lava is flowing ever faster...it is starting to fill side room 2 and 4
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 21, 2012, 03:41:59 PM
"Wait," says Richard to Mobius "If I fail my icebolt once Duror is on the other side I might hit him. Best thing is that I shoot a bolt once I see the baron; then traverse the room; shoot another bolt at the first man that comes in my way; and engage in melee. The rest of you follow me. What you say?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 21, 2012, 06:36:58 PM
Mobius
 
Quietly so the baron won't hear, "Duror, be sure to walk with a pronounced limp.  Richard: We'll just have to take that chance.  Unless you kill Duror outright, I'll be able to fix him up.  Now shush, I gotta focus on this."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 21, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
Duror,


Willing to help the party, carries on with the ruse in an effort to draw out the Baron.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 21, 2012, 09:12:25 PM

Nameless will hang out of sight of the Baron (possibly putting on the armor, see other thread) and asks, "How do we get back across that trap? Only the Gods allowed me to pass safely ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 21, 2012, 10:46:40 PM
Mobius
 
Watches Duror's progress intently as if he's studying how to return back to the baron unscathed.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 25, 2012, 07:01:15 AM
Quote
Nameless will marvel at the likely stunning construction and waddle forward, sceptre in hand and wait on the others
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 25, 2012, 07:08:55 AM
The lava has now covered the floors of room 2 and 4 and is starting to flow into room 1 and 3 , there's not much room in the main hall either without touching lava...The heat becomes unbearable...you now take 1 hit/round from heat damage...in other words if you stay too long, you'll pass out from it. The lava also starts to flow faster and faster under the sound of cracking and rumbling...

Mobius tries to cast his illusion on Duror, but fails

The baron shouts: "What's taking you so long...it's getting really hot here!"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 25, 2012, 01:33:59 PM
Duror

Will proceed out of the room where the lava is flowing. He proceeds with his shield drawn and hammer ready in case the Baron attacks. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 25, 2012, 01:38:47 PM
Mobius
 
Curses quietly at the poor luck.  "Nothing to be done for it now." he says quietly to himself and begins to cross with Duror, fist clenched in the gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 25, 2012, 09:39:10 PM
Mobius
 
Curses quietly at the poor luck.  "Nothing to be done for it now." he says quietly to himself and begins to cross with Duror, fist clenched in the gauntlet.

Nameless follows behind the other two, hefting the sceptre and getting a feel for its weight.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 26, 2012, 01:13:29 AM
Richard waits for Duror to cross the room, then releases an ice bolt on the baron.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 26, 2012, 09:32:42 AM
The moment Duror and Richard come into view and the Baron sees their weapons he immediately maneuvers himself behind the bodyguards, almost instantly, Richard releases the icebolt, the Baron ducks away and the dented bodyguard throws himself in front of the icebolt. The bolt hits him square in the chest...you can see blue light spreading out from the point of impact (ooc: doing the additional damage), the bodyguard's eyes roll up in his socket and he falls lifeless to the ground

The baron scrambles up and shouts: "retreat to the second room...NOW" and he and the last bodyguard start running up the stairs towards the second chamber.

ooc: this means they're out of sight for Richard, until he crosses the third room
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 26, 2012, 01:42:48 PM
Duror


Will pursue the Baron and bodyguard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 26, 2012, 03:06:19 PM
Duror finds himself at the entrance of the third trap room...does he enter?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 26, 2012, 05:42:40 PM
Mobius
 
Follows Duror preparing a boost quickness spell for when he is out of the no-magic zone.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 26, 2012, 05:46:04 PM
Auris

Seeing that the bodyguard wants to move up, he follows a few steps of the stairs - and then uses his sword on the baron's heels.

"Sorry, my dear baron, business conditions have changed once again, it seems."

OOC: inform me in my personal thread what to roll. if the baron is wearing significant armor, I adjust my attack accordingly, to the weakest point that will impair his movement (feet / heels / knees / legs). Should he be wearing full armor without any possible weak spots i can identify, I'll aim a blow between the legs...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 26, 2012, 06:28:52 PM
Richard follows up the rest of the party.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 26, 2012, 08:56:00 PM
Richard follows up the rest of the party.

Nameless follows Richard following .... :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 27, 2012, 07:01:45 AM
Well, everyone finds himself at the entrance of the third trap room...there are two corpses on the floor...one of the last guard and Borek...both have bled out from dozens of puncture wounds...what do you do?

Meanwhile, the baron goes first, but is shielded by the second bodyguard. Auris will not be able to ambush the baron...he can attack the bodyguard though, but you need to roll first if you can surprise him, as he is aware of your presence
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 27, 2012, 01:41:12 PM
Mobius
 
Casts a boost quickness on Nameless
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 27, 2012, 04:34:17 PM
Mobius' spell fails
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 28, 2012, 08:02:26 AM
Meanwhile, Auris tries to attack the bodyguard from the rear as he passes him, shielding the baron...unfortunately he's not trusting Auris, so he sees the attack coming. Auris still manages to make a weak hit across his back (6 hits), but the bodyguard retaliates with a strike to Auris' chest, which bruises a rib (12 hits)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 28, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
Nameless asks, "Can you disable this room? It was only by the grace of Eru that I made it across the first time ... " as he watches (?) the lava rise behind them.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 28, 2012, 01:26:04 PM
Duror,

At the threshold of the third room, he observes the action unfold.

(OCC- where is the lava now?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 28, 2012, 01:28:33 PM
Mobius
 
"We shall have to trust upon Eru's grace once again." and with that he begins crossing the room as quickly as he can.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 28, 2012, 01:44:58 PM
Duror


Will follow Mobius across the room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 28, 2012, 03:02:10 PM
Duror


Will follow Mobius across the room.

Nameless grimaces and follows Mobius (and hopes the scale armor is proof vs. the spikes).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 28, 2012, 11:39:09 PM
Same with Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 04, 2012, 07:09:57 AM
Meanwhile out of sight, Auris tries to stop the bodyguard and the baron...he is very unfortunate and swings wide, catching his own blade with his ribs...the bodyguard doesn't hesitate given this opportunity and strikes Auris across the leg...he's bleeding badly as the colour drains from his face
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 06, 2012, 09:37:54 PM
Richard crosses the trapped room and looks for Auris, shouting "Auris, where are you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 08, 2012, 02:29:32 PM
Mobius
 
Taps Richard on the shoulder as he passes.  "Only one place he could be, come on." and keeps a steady pace towards the next room.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 09, 2012, 11:03:54 AM
As you cross the room, you are already able to see Auris, he is in a battle with a bodyguard and obviously losing...badly...Up the stairs you can see the baron, the second bodyguard and the two remaining adventurers entering the second chamber
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 09, 2012, 11:41:46 PM
Richard tries to throw a bolt at the baron, if Celembribor's magic resists Sauron's one. Otherwise he'll attack the guard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 09, 2012, 11:44:20 PM
Richard tries to throw a bolt at the baron, if Celembribor's magic resists Sauron's one. Otherwise he'll attack the guard.

Nameless, having survived the crossing, will attack the guard on Auris, if space allows, bashing him with the sceptre.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 10, 2012, 12:16:24 AM
Mobius
 
Sighs, looking at the gauntlet.  Emotions racing across his face, a dilemna.  The baron only wanted to use him as chattle not completely annhilate him.  How could he do such a thing to the baron?  It's not vengeance, it's beyond eye for an eye.  The scales wouldn't be equal.  Taking a deep breath he begins to prep a spell, gathering the mystical energies to him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 10, 2012, 07:50:09 AM
The moment the baron and the rest of the group upstairs enter the second trap room, the door shuts...making it impossible to attack them with an ice bolt.


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 10, 2012, 09:22:35 AM
The moment, Richard storms the stairs in order to help Auris, slumps from blood loss...the bodyguard pushes him away and readies himself for Richard's charge...Celembrimbor's sword glows with an icy blue glow as the blade strikes the bodyguard in the chest...he dies instantly as his heart is pierced and subsequently frozen...a short look of shock comes over the bodyguard's face before his eyes turn upwards and he falls back dead...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 10, 2012, 09:25:59 AM
At that very moment, a large shock reverberates through the mountain...everyone needs to make an effort not to fall over from the shock...In the distance from behind shattering of rocks can be heard and hot air rushes into the hallway...hot lava fills the third trap room and the corpses are enveloped, giving off a disgusting burning smell, before being completely swallowed by the hot lava...the lava starts to rise and is quickly rising up the stairwell...

ooc: you lose 2hits/round from heat damage as it is no dangerously hot in the staircase
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 10, 2012, 02:08:02 PM
Duror

Will continue to press on across the room away from the oncoming heat.

(OCC- Not sure which room we're in. Lost track. Hate when RL gets in the way  ;))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 10, 2012, 04:35:31 PM
Richard tries to stop the bleeding of Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 10, 2012, 08:46:51 PM
Duror

Will continue to press on across the room away from the oncoming heat.

(OCC- Not sure which room we're in. Lost track. Hate when RL gets in the way  ;) )


Nameless follows Duror up the stairs toward the now-closed door. "Well I can beat on it with the sceptre... " he says half-sarcastically and half-hopefully ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 12, 2012, 03:54:32 PM
As nameless runs up the stairs, the door opens automatically, showing an empty trap room...he can hear footsteps up ahead on the stairs, but doesn't see anyone
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 12, 2012, 06:42:13 PM
Mobius

"Hm.  That was easy." to Nameless as he stops at the threshold of trap room #2.  Looking about for any details of what's happened before.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 12, 2012, 09:37:07 PM
Mobius

"Hm.  That was easy." to Nameless as he stops at the threshold of trap room #2.  Looking about for any details of what's happened before.

Nameless waits and says, "Isn't this the one where the ceiling falls. Auris stopped that right? Else he'd be squished ... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 13, 2012, 12:03:12 AM
Mobius
 
"Yes.  Do you recall what he said to stop it?  Femur or something like that."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 13, 2012, 04:02:00 PM
Richard is able to stop Auris' bleeding
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 13, 2012, 04:09:05 PM
Mobius
 
"Yes.  Do you recall what he said to stop it?  Femur or something like that."

"Perhaps you can revive Auris and ask him? And do something about this heat?" Nameless tugs at his mask, hoping for a bit of relief before he passes out.

Does Nameless recall how long it takes the ceiling to reach the floor in this room? Also is the far side door open?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 13, 2012, 04:20:00 PM
ooc: nameless never experienced the ceiling lowering, as Auris stopped the trap before it began. The far side door is open
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 13, 2012, 06:16:46 PM
ooc: nameless never experienced the ceiling lowering, as Auris stopped the trap before it began. The far side door is open

** I meant the 2nd time with the bodyguard when they played "trap chicken" as I was getting beaten up ... before passing out, getting revived and being throwing in the spike room ... etc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 15, 2012, 07:42:22 PM
Mobius
 
Takes a deep breath to steady himself mentally and lets it out slowly.  He then gathers energy to heal Auris' wounds.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 16, 2012, 05:05:57 PM
Duror


Round 6 Declaration


Duror will enter trap room 2 and will proceed across it to the stairs leading to room 1.



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 16, 2012, 09:28:48 PM
Duror
Round 6 Declaration
Duror will enter trap room 2 and will proceed across it to the stairs leading to room 1.

Round 6 - Nameless follows Duror, saying, "Once triggered, we have but half a minute or so to get out the other side ... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 17, 2012, 09:06:20 AM
Start of round 6:

Situation: (please refer to map (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/suswb3ta4eqdtbk/i6kII8dx6k))
- The Baron, Grixis and adventurer are on the stairs halfway between trap room 2 and trap room 1
- Duror and Nameless are at the entrance of traproom 2, the doors have opened again showing an empty room
- Richard, Mobius and Auris are on the stairs, halfway between trap room 2 and trap room 3
(for simplicity sakes, it will take a round to cross a flight of stairs and it takes a round to cross a trap room (with doors closing first and all)

Start of round 6:
- As Mobius is healing Auris, a large rumble is heard and the mountain shakes once again...the magic users can sense a magical shockwave coming from the alchemy rooms...apparently the lava has destroyed Sauron's powerful magical wards and runes he put in place. The surge connects with Mobius' spell and appear to enhance it...everyone receives a full healing. Nameless and Auris (and the rest) are fully healed in an instant.
- Mobius, Richard and Auris can still perform a full action for round 6. Please declare them.


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 17, 2012, 09:49:02 AM
Auris, round 6, halfway the stairs between rooms 2 and 3, moving up

Auris gets to, blinks twice, feels it's getting incredible hot... turns his face and shouts "The lava!!" "Run guys, we need to get ahead. Don't worry about the next trap room"

And Auris does just that, runs up the stairs and, if he sees that people are close enough behind to enter the room with him before the doors shut, enters room 2.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 17, 2012, 10:15:03 AM
Richard, round 6, follows Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 17, 2012, 03:17:28 PM
Duror


To Nameless, "I suggest we hurry then!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 17, 2012, 03:52:43 PM
ooc: just waiting for Mobius' declaration
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 17, 2012, 08:18:05 PM
Mobius
 
Shakes his booty and flees with everyone else through trap room 2 and ultimately out of the ticking time bomb called Mt. Doom (errr... Mt. BOOM)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 18, 2012, 11:20:44 AM
After everyone enters trap room 2 at roughly the same time, the 2 doors to the room close and a magical voice gives the familiar riddle: "Killer of thousands, destroyer of lands, enslavr of light, death floweth from mine hands."

Start of round 7:

Situation:
- Everyone is in trap room 2, the doors are closed...an answer to the riddle must be given, otherwise the trap will be activated
- The lava should have reached the door of trap room 2 by now
- Everyone takes 2 hits due to heat damage


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 18, 2012, 11:54:08 AM
Auris, R7, traproom 2

"Fëanor"

As the door opens, Auris says to his comrades: The baron must be up there, we may yet have a fight on our hands on these stairs. I saw some impressive icebolts, well done! Did you perhaps also find something that might aide me in battle?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 18, 2012, 12:49:49 PM
The moment Auris calls the right answer, a large...well nothing short of a major earthquake can be felt...the room, even though it's made from stone and steel, groans as if it was a wooden ship, cracks can be seen in the ceiling and small rocks and dust come falling down...the doors do not open, but the trap also doesn't activate...

Moments later a loud thump can be heard against the door where you entered...and you can see the metal turning red quickly

ooc: the rest of round 7 is spent, not falling over from the earthquake...so on to round 8, please declare actions for round 8

Beginning of round 8 Situation:
- Everyone is in trap room 2
- Both metal doors are closed and apparently stuck
- The door that you came in from is starting to glow very red...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 18, 2012, 02:21:23 PM
Round 8 Declaration

Panic.  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 18, 2012, 02:50:46 PM
Auris, R8, traproom 2

"Oh, by the king's arse! The doors should have opened....!" he sigh, and collects himself.  "The lava is obviously interfering. Do we have any magic whatsoever to either blast through this door, or arrest the lava?"

OOC: no action yet, waiting on the rest to see if they have something else in mind than fried halfling.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 18, 2012, 03:31:23 PM
Duror


OCC- I have no spells, only a magical hammer. Could we use our newly-found magical items to bust down the door? A Festivus "Feat of Strength?"  :P
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 18, 2012, 03:48:57 PM
Richard (8th round) tries to shoot an icebolt at the door.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 18, 2012, 09:39:30 PM
Richard (8th round) tries to shoot an icebolt at the door.

Nameless moves to the door to the stairs to room 1, in an arc to as to not be in Richard's LOS, and then, after the ice bolt, hits the door with the sceptre.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 18, 2012, 11:41:19 PM
Mobius
 
Pulls a book out of his backpack that has the words, "Don't Panic" written in big red letters on the cover.
 
 
Just kidding!  :lol:
 
 
He sees if his gauntlet will do anything in addition to the others, hoping the destructive magic works on inanimate objects just as much as living beings.
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 19, 2012, 01:26:07 PM
Duror


Will strike the door with his dwarven hammer.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 20, 2012, 06:43:54 AM
The icebolt, sceptre and hammer are definitely denting the metal door, but you get the feeling it was made to resist just these kind of attacks. Also if you look back, then those with any kind of metalworking knowledge guess that the lava will burn through the other door quicker than you will break through this one...

Fortunately the metal doors keep out some of the heat...so no hits this round, that said, the air inside the relatively small place is heating up quickly and you have no doubt, that it will soon  become your own personal sauna of death

ooc: Richard, that was your last icebolt for today...you need to wait a day before you can cast again. Everyone, please declare actions for round 9

Situation round 9:
- Everyone is still trapped in trap room 2
- The door towards room 3 is now completely red and hot
- The door towards room 1 shows some dents, but appears otherwise solid and in no way unhinged
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 20, 2012, 12:01:57 PM
...
- The door towards room 1 shows some dents, but appears otherwise solid and in no way unhinged


** Do these doors slide into the walls -or- open upon hinges?

If slide, Nameless will attempt to jam the sceptre into the gap, where it closed and try to pry the door open.
If hinged, Nameless will bash at a hinge unless someone else suggests a different approach ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 20, 2012, 09:36:21 PM
Auris, R9, traproom 2

"Come, come, banging such a sceptre is more likely to damage the artefact than that confounded door. Let me try to attune to it, and see what kind of hidden powers it has. "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 20, 2012, 09:49:02 PM
Auris, R9, traproom 2

"Come, come, banging such a sceptre is more likely to damage the artefact than that confounded door. Let me try to attune to it, and see what kind of hidden powers it has. "

Nameless, featureless behind the mask, shrugs, "I doubt it ... Got a spare weapon? If so, lets switch, otherwise I need something to keep my hands busy ... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2012, 11:51:14 AM
The door slides up and down...there isn't enough room below to wedge the sceptre in...a sword might work, but is more fragile
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 21, 2012, 02:34:58 PM
The door slides up and down...there isn't enough room below to wedge the sceptre in...a sword might work, but is more fragile

Nameless, Round 2, Room 2

Did anyone drop anything in the room (or are there squished bodies in this room) that might be usable? A crowbar, flat iron bar or hammer/wedge or some such?

(Will Perceive in the other thread for this round... )

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2012, 07:02:31 PM
Auris hands over the sword he got from the dented - and iced - bodyguard. to Nameless. "Here, try this."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 21, 2012, 07:08:47 PM
Auris hands over the sword he got from the dented - and iced - bodyguard. to Nameless. "Here, try this."

"OK, see if you can figure out the sceptre..." Nameless offers that item. Once PER and switch done, will try the sword on the door next round (10).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 22, 2012, 02:01:47 PM
Duror


Will join in to help leverage the door open.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 22, 2012, 07:52:26 PM
Mobius
 
Joins in the enjoyable "levering of the door" contest.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 24, 2012, 10:18:00 AM
Conclusion of round 9:

- Nameless finds nothing in the room...it looks quite clean. The only thing he notices are some dries stains near the two drainage holes at opposite sides of the room (at 90 degree from the two doors)
- Auris tries desparately to attune to the sceptre, but isn't able to do so.

Conclusion of round 10:
- Everyone tries to wedgethe sword underneath the door, but it quickly starts to bend and at some point snaps in two
- Meanwhile the door to room 3 is turning white hot and it starts to get hot in the room. You now take 2 hits again per round, but this will increase with each subsequent round, as the room you're in, starts to turn into an "oven"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 30, 2012, 02:20:58 PM
Duror


In order to try and avoid becoming toasted dwarf, Duror will try and look for a secret door.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 30, 2012, 03:04:53 PM
Duror


Not finding any doors, Duror notices the air is different around the grates. To his party:


"There is cooler air by the grates. Maybe we can pry them open and escape!"


Duror will examine the grates to see how they are attached and if he can find a way to dislodge it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 30, 2012, 04:03:29 PM
There aren't actually any grates, just small slits at the intersection of the floor and the wall...they are roughly half a meter wide and high enough for an arm to go through, but not much else...they seem to be chisseled out of the rock that makes up this chamber

only one hole has different air...the one right of the door to traproom 1 (thus left to the door to traproom 3, aka as the hot door)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 30, 2012, 07:01:35 PM
Duror

... is going to look inside the grate to see if he notices anything (before reaching his hand in there!)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 30, 2012, 09:57:45 PM
Auris hands over the sword he got from the dented - and iced - bodyguard. to Nameless. "Here, try this."

Round 11 (I guess), Nameless asks Auris, "The doors no longer open? Do you think there is a safety somewhere? Manual crank/wheel?" and then, without anything better to do, continue trying to lift the door... :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 30, 2012, 10:04:10 PM
Beginning of round 11:

-Duror looks around the chamber for secret doors, he finds out that there's cooler air coming from one of the drainage holes in the sides of the chamber...he crouches down to take a look, but sees nothing but darkness
- The rest is standing at the door looking disappointedly at the broken sword

ooc: declare actions please
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 30, 2012, 11:42:23 PM
Richard investigates whether it is possible to pass down the drainage hole.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 31, 2012, 06:34:50 AM
Richard can at most stick his arm in
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on October 31, 2012, 07:05:26 PM
Mobius
 
Wanders over to the vent/hole and sees if his darkness enhanced sight can help with the goings on.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 31, 2012, 10:14:24 PM
Auris, R11, trapped room

Auris tries to ascertain if there are any mechanisms he could use his lockpicking skills on. If not, he'll try to attune to the scepter again.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 31, 2012, 10:28:30 PM
Richard tries to reason whether it could have been the Baron to have locked the door, or it is rather a malfunctioning.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 02, 2012, 03:02:44 PM
mobius sees a small hole that seems to go nowhere, still air and cooler air at that is coming through


Auris cant find any locking mechanism in the door. He's unable to try to attune again to the sceptre unless he finds new information/knowledge on it. Someone else is able to try and Auris can try another item
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 02, 2012, 03:07:17 PM
nameless tries to open the door with his bare hands but fails


richard tries to reason whether the baron might have done this, but since he could be heard running ahead and the door didn't open after another rumble, he has to conclude it was the mountain


everyone takes 4 hits heat dmg.


this concludes round 11, please declare actions for round 12. people with any sort of metal working skill should notice that the lava will probably burn through the door in a couple of rounds...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 02, 2012, 05:16:19 PM
Duror Round 12


Tries attuning to the ring of power he liberated from the Elven skull.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on November 02, 2012, 07:35:57 PM
Mobius
 
If he can fit in through the opening Mobius will try to do so.  If it's obvious he can't he'll hand the gauntlet to Auris with detailed info to attune to it and try to attune to the sceptre.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 02, 2012, 08:48:08 PM
Mobius can fit his arm in but otherwise not
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 02, 2012, 11:10:26 PM
nameless tries to open the door with his bare hands but fails


richard tries to reason whether the baron might have done this, but since he could be heard running ahead and the door didn't open after another rumble, he has to conclude it was the mountain


everyone takes 4 hits heat dmg.


this concludes round 11, please declare actions for round 12. people with any sort of metal working skill should notice that the lava will probably burn through the door in a couple of rounds...

Round 12


Does the dragonscale armor have an effect versus the heat (damage)?

Nameless waits by the door, broken sword in hand, waiting for direction or for the door to open (holding his action)...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 03, 2012, 07:47:48 PM
Auris, R12, traproom 2.

"Gentlemen, I'd rather not end up overly crispy. Magic is our only hope now - do we have other items which hold unknown powers?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 04, 2012, 09:04:05 AM
ooc: the dragon scale armor unfortunately doesn't protect against heat damage
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on November 05, 2012, 09:47:06 PM
Mobius
 
"This thing's pretty hefty.  Got some magic to it. Let's see..."
 
He takes a step and with a (hopefully) mighty overhead blow attempts to knock down the door, allowing an escape.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 07, 2012, 08:13:31 PM
Conclusion of round 12:

Mobius strikes the door and dents it, but not much else...however, the moment he hits the door another large tremor is felt...a large crack appears in the wall above the drainage hole.

At the same time, unfortunately, the lava is coming through the door...it starts seeping down the centre of the door and the flow is increasing rapidly...you can see the door bulging into the room

Everyone takes 8 hits in heat damage
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on November 07, 2012, 09:37:27 PM
Mobius
 
Goes over the crack in the drainage hole and takes another whack at the crack in the wall.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 07, 2012, 10:48:08 PM
Mobius
 
Goes over the crack in the drainage hole and takes another whack at the crack in the wall.

Round 13

If there is room, Nameless will jam that broken sword into part of the crack and apply brute force and ignorance in equal proportion.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 08, 2012, 07:54:23 AM
Richard tries to open the door with Celebrimbor's sword but not to the point of breaking. If I spend a Fate Point, will that open the door ?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 09, 2012, 04:29:08 PM
Duror


Will try and crush the grate with cooler air with his magical dwarven hammer.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 10, 2012, 05:08:42 PM
Round 13 resolution:

Nameless walks over to the newly appeared crack and jams the broken sword in. The end of the sword is then whacked by Mobius and Duror...the moment Duror's hammer hits the sword, after Mobius...the wall collapses and reveals a small mining shaft, it's just high enough for you to crawl through...Auris is able to walk, albeit hunched over

Meanwhile richard jams celembrimbor's sword underneath the door...(Celembrimbor turns around in his grave at the blatant abuse of his sword  :lol: ) and tries to wedge it open...

(ooc: if you spend a fatepoint, it will open, otherwise it won't...at least not without really risking breaking the sword...even though it's eog

everybody takes another 8 hits...the door will explode next round

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 10, 2012, 08:35:21 PM
If the way is open through the shaft, Richard also goes that way. (I'll keep my Fate point and Celebrimbor's sword.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 11, 2012, 06:53:00 PM
Duror


... will enter the mining shaft to see where it leads.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 11, 2012, 06:56:09 PM
Duror


... will enter the mining shaft to see where it leads.

Nameless will follow.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 11, 2012, 08:10:48 PM
Auris, traproom, R13

"Come on guys, here's our chance!" Auris hurries into the shaft. "Let me go first, I can put up a bit of a fight here in close quarters if need be. And could I borrow a weapon for it? The deadlier the better! "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on November 12, 2012, 09:03:30 PM
Mobius
 
Follows the crowd.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 14, 2012, 08:27:35 AM
Auris, R13/14

While crawling, he ask Mobius "Mobius, I've not been able to attune to this weapon - is there anything you can tell me to help?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on November 14, 2012, 08:35:43 PM
Mobius
 
Gives him the information about it including, "It's acts like a shield, but if you hit someone with it, it will absolve their soul.  It also enhances your combat ability."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 20, 2012, 05:55:21 PM
As mobius drops to his knees to start crawling, he notices that the mining shaft doesn't quite reach all the way to the room...the piece of mountain separating it, has collapsed opening it up. Not far into the mining shaft, he comes across a pile of bones and mining tools...they seem to be orcish in nature
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 22, 2012, 12:33:19 PM
Auris, mineshaft

Auris follows Mobius. In the meantime, he tries to extract more knowledge about that artefact from Mobius - he asks after previous owners, if its magic is associated with the dark forces, and so on.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 25, 2012, 08:43:38 PM
As mobius drops to his knees to start crawling, he notices that the mining shaft doesn't quite reach all the way to the room...the piece of mountain separating it, has collapsed opening it up. Not far into the mining shaft, he comes across a pile of bones and mining tools...they seem to be orcish in nature

Do the mining tools include something like a shovel, pick or pry-bar? If so, Nameless will grab one, "Better than a broken sword eh?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 26, 2012, 12:27:41 PM
Duror


Follows the party in the shaft. If no one else does, he will use the tools to tunnel through the blocked passage. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 27, 2012, 04:12:01 PM
The orc skeletons are clutching mining tools in their hands...it seems they were making a passage to the trap room, when they suddenly died...the tools include a shovel and picks. The passage beyond the orc skeletons is free. it's just really small and in no way been made into a proper mining shaft.

The group crawls on for a minute or so...feeling a welcome relief from the heat, when suddenly you hear a large bang, which can only be the door in the traproom bein breached and launched against the opposite wall...moments later a blow of very hot air fills the shaft, making it hard to breathe for a moment...the shaft is also completely lid in a red hot light...as you look back, you can see hot lave starting to flow into the mining shaft as the trap room quickly fills up

ooc: you need to crawl RUN! everyone please make a strength+agility roll, or acrobatics (whichever is higher) and do not fumble. The result of the person before you will determine your result  :yes:




Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 29, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
Mobius in front starts crawling as fast as he can, which unfortunately isn't very fast. Auris behind him almost pushes him aside to go beyond...alas if only there were room...Richard at the back is even slower as the group...he looks behind to see lava quickly following...you can't see the opening to the room anymore, as it is already completely filled...good thing lava doesn't flow as fast as water...that said, you need to continue crawling FAST...

ooc: you all take 4 hits of heat dmg...please roll again
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 29, 2012, 07:52:25 PM
Nameless

Quoting the famous wizard's words, Nameless calls out, "Fly, you fools! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOCdyS7ORE)"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 30, 2012, 03:48:08 PM
Where's Duror?  :huh:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 30, 2012, 08:09:13 PM
Duror's smack in the middle, the sequence being: mobius (front), auris, duror, nameless, richard
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 30, 2012, 08:35:38 PM
To avoid becoming Roasted Dwarf, Duror will crawl FAST to get out of the heat...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on November 30, 2012, 09:11:16 PM
Mobius
 
Calling upon the ancient memory of his early childhood and desparately trying to avoid becoming road kill he picks up the pace of his crawling.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 01, 2012, 08:44:50 AM
Auris

Auris is in a bloody hurry. He was once roasted over a slow fire to make him cough up the hiding place of a shipment of precious metals, and he had quite enough of that after 20 minutes already. He's in no mood to repeat that experience - with even less chance of escape - and storms through the shaft. Mobius, who's holding him up in front, gets a gentle poke with the gauntlet (which Auris still hasn't figured out) to speed him along.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 03, 2012, 07:16:26 PM
Everyone's crawling like Sauron himself is on their tails...which could be true in a sense...unfortunately, the pressure of the lava in the room is pushing the lava ever faster. It seems that you will be toasted literally...
...Panicked you try to crawl even faster, knees are starting to bleed and the heat and hot air become almost unbearable...(everyone takes another 4 hits and is at -10movement penalty)...the small corridor is continuing a downward slope, which seems to last forever...something needs to happen...FAST
A large tremor can be felt...and the corridor you're in starts collapsing...the heat of the lava is weakening the structure...the small mining shaft starts collapsing behind you on top of the approaching lava...you continue crawling like madmen, in order not to get buried alive...
...fortunately for you the collapsing ceiling stops the lava from approaching as fast, which then also prevents the further disintegration of the ceiling...for a moment, until the lava eats its way through it again, which starts the process all over again. You still need to crawl fast, but are no longer chased by lava...
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 03, 2012, 07:19:13 PM
After more that an hour of crawling you, exhausted, reach a cross section which is large enough for a small orc to walk upright in. You can go either left or right...the higher mining shaft/corridor, looks a bit more stable and actually has some wooden beams as support here and there...insofar you can see (only those with darvision major can)...that said, you have no idea what will happen, once the lava reaches it
ooc: where do you go?
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on December 03, 2012, 08:20:59 PM
Mobius
 
Hangs a quick (left/right) into the more stable shaft with the supports and begins running at a fast yet sustainable pace.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 03, 2012, 08:37:42 PM
Which direction? Left or right?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 03, 2012, 08:40:09 PM
Duror

... if both shafts are equally stable, I vote going right, since Sauron is of the "Left Hand Path"  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 03, 2012, 10:39:48 PM
Nameless

I play follow the rest of the party ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 04, 2012, 08:32:31 AM
Auris follows Mobius, but makes sure he's next to him, or just behind, and will overtake him as soon as the corridor narrows so much that passing will become impossible. Despite his - hopefully - calm demeanor earlier in the traproom, If he'd have time to sleep, he'd still be having nightmares about that lavaflow....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 04, 2012, 04:58:03 PM
As you enter the right corridor, you notice it slopes slightly downward
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 04, 2012, 05:56:58 PM
Auris

"Guys, this is going down. I'd rather backtrack now, and see if the other corridor goes up - that way we have much less to fear from the lava."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 04, 2012, 06:06:51 PM
Duror

"I'm at home in the earth. I say we continue down. Backtracking welcomes disaster if the lava catches up..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on December 04, 2012, 08:57:46 PM
Mobius
 
"Or worse yet, if it meets us running straight at it."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 04, 2012, 10:29:14 PM
Auris

"Fine, fine" - Auris picks up the pace.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 04, 2012, 10:39:25 PM
Nameless,

Nameless will gladly pass those who are slower until he is following the leader (whomever that is at the moment) ... :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 05, 2012, 07:22:07 PM
The tunnel goes on for what seems to be an eternity...you deduct that some orcs must have made a single tunnel to mount doom and you are now moving away from it, as the tunnel is mostly straight. You wonder why theymade this this massively long tunnel and what happened to the dead orcs you encountered earlier
Behind you, you can hear the sound of collapsing tunnel and the ceiling above you shudders as pieces of mountain crumble down...you realise you need to run, as fast as possible, in order to get away from under the mountain.
After a long, while, the tunnel starts to level off and it seems you have reached the bottom (for now)...moments later you reach another intersection...you can go left or right
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 05, 2012, 10:57:24 PM
Auris

Upon seeing the split, Auris suddenly halts - and abrupt stop in his tracks. he uses his dark vision to see inside either corridor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 06, 2012, 12:31:20 AM
Duror

Will also check both sides with his night vision and also make a stone sense maneuver roll (medium perception).

Rolled 1d100+39 : 19 + 39, total 58
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 06, 2012, 12:47:14 AM
Nameless

"That was ... whew ... a bit of a run eh?"

Nameless will also check with his Dark Vision.

Rolled 1d100+32 : 21 + 32, total 53
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 06, 2012, 08:36:15 AM
You see two empty mining tunnels...they were orc-made...there is some structural support here and there, but both do not seem to be used intensely...its like you're at the fringes of a large mining complex and this is the part least used...both are roughly equal in slope (ie flat)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 06, 2012, 10:22:03 AM
Auris

"This seems quite dilapidated - I don't think Sauron would stop mining because he had enough. Let's take a brief moment to catch our breath and make sure we're preared for battle, should there be one."

Auris also tries again to attune, based on the snippits of info he got from Mobius in the tunnels.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 06, 2012, 05:42:13 PM
Duror

"We don't want to wait too long- the lava may catch up. I vote we go left, all things being equal..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 07, 2012, 12:43:22 AM
Nameless

Nameless looks back, can we see the red light of the lava or feel its heat?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 16, 2012, 09:36:44 PM
You don't see any red, or feel any heat...but the moment you halt, you do feel another earthquake like shuddes...everyone is thrown against the walls, as the mountain moves yet again...Behind you, you hear the sound of collapsing mineshafts...you fear the whole mountain will collapse on you in the end...then a gust of dust comes from behind you and engulfes you, making it hard to breath for a minute or so...then all is silent
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 16, 2012, 10:11:56 PM
You don't see any red, or feel any heat...but the moment you halt, you do feel another earthquake like shuddes...everyone is thrown against the walls, as the mountain moves yet again...Behind you, you hear the sound of collapsing mineshafts...you fear the whole mountain will collapse on you in the end...then a gust of dust comes from behind you and engulfes you, making it hard to breath for a minute or so...then all is silent

When the dust clears/settles, are we still able to continue forward? If yes, Nameless suggests we do such and heads whichever direction the dust appears to be carried further (perhaps due to an opening in the distance).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 16, 2012, 11:11:57 PM
You can move forward...it is very difficult to know for sure, but the dust seems to travel more to the right, then to the left
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 16, 2012, 11:34:50 PM
You can move forward...it is very difficult to know for sure, but the dust seems to travel more to the right, then to the left

Nameless says to all, "Right is fine with me. How about you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 17, 2012, 12:32:24 AM
"Let's go right," says Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 17, 2012, 01:24:12 AM
Duror

"Right it is!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 17, 2012, 08:33:54 AM
Auris runs right, with the rest.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 19, 2012, 08:27:01 PM
After a 15 minute run...(you are all starting to get exhausted from the flight)...you come across a pile of rocks blocking the rest of the tunnel

As you move closer, you can see light peering through the cracks
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 20, 2012, 08:06:52 AM
Auris

"Light - a sight for sore eyes. It's high time we figure out where we are."


OOC: how big are the cracks? (can Auris get through?) Also, how stable is it all?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 20, 2012, 08:28:49 AM
cracks are small enough to let through air and light, but not much else...it's stable, but not rock solid...Hayek figures you can probably get it out of the way with some work
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 20, 2012, 10:03:23 AM
Richard starts trying to push the rocks away into the opening.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 20, 2012, 11:13:30 AM
Richard starts trying to push the rocks away into the opening.

Nameless will assist by pulling rocks the other direction (throwing and/or rolling back the way we came).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 20, 2012, 11:49:15 AM
Duror

... joins in the dig.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 20, 2012, 01:06:06 PM
And so does Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 21, 2012, 10:06:37 AM
By pushing and pulling the rocks clear, you're making progress in getting the blockade out of the way. Finally, you are able to push away a large block of rock...it comes crashing down in the tunnel beyond. It leaves behind a hole big enough to climb and crawl through. You are greated by torchlight en some orcs yells and footsteps running away
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 21, 2012, 01:35:17 PM
An Orc tunnel. Is it possible to go after the Orc and bring him down before he spreads the alarm?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 21, 2012, 04:29:33 PM
No not really...you still need to worm yourself through the hole and he's already running and yelling
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 21, 2012, 04:32:27 PM
No not really...you still need to worm yourself through the hole and he's already running and yelling

"Ice bolt him!" Nameless suggests to Richard, if still holding the artifact that does such.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 21, 2012, 06:49:58 PM
How long will it take to wiggle through the hole in the wall and how far away is the Orc?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 22, 2012, 03:22:48 AM
I can't, I've spent the daily charges already.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 22, 2012, 10:34:30 PM
It will take 2 rounds to get through per person.

You don't know where the orc is. You will need to go through and find out
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 26, 2012, 12:21:52 PM
Quote
Richard goes through the opening with an eye for any remaining Orcs.

Richard makes it through allright. Beyond the obstruction he finds himself in a torch lit mining tunnel, which based on the footsteps on the floor, appears to be used often. In the distance he can hear the orc running and screaming, but he can't see him, as he has turned a corner
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 26, 2012, 01:45:08 PM
"Way is open. Come out fellows," says Richard. He looks at the longsword whether it's shining blue, detecting Orcs (as many Elven blades do).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 26, 2012, 01:46:29 PM
Duror

Will squeeze through the hole using his Haste and pursue the Orc (as per the ring of power).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 26, 2012, 02:37:10 PM
Duror

Will squeeze through the hole using his Haste and pursue the Orc (as per the ring of power).

Nameless,

Will follow those two and take up a position at the nearest intersection, hefting whatever weapon/tool he was able to grab from that first pile of debris we encountered (what did he find?).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on December 26, 2012, 09:07:43 PM
Mobius
 
Follows the others and tries to stay out of the way of the more experienced combatants.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 29, 2012, 02:25:29 PM
Auris follows.

OOC: can I try another attunement? Right now I'm weaponless :s
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 01, 2013, 08:30:06 AM
ooc: Ok, going into combat sequencing, to accurately keep track

Round 0: Clearing enough of the obstruction, so you can worm yourself through in 2 rounds per person. Orc in tunnel hears this and yells
Round 1: Orc starts running, group discusses the possibility of ice bolting him, Richard says he's out of charges
Round 2: Orc runs. Richard starts worming through the hole
Round 3: Orc runs. Richard is clear of the hole. Duror starts worming thorugh the hole.
Round 4: Orc runs. Richard looks at his blade to see if it lights up blue...it doesn't. Duror is clear of the hole. Nameless starts worming through the hole
Round 5: Orc runs. Duror starts running after the orc at hasted speed (2 run actions/round). Nameless clears the hole. Mobius starts worming through the hole.

so we are still at round 5. I need to know what Richard will do for round 5. The I need action declarations for Duror, Nameless and Richard for round 6

@Auris...you can't try another attunement, unless you grab another item, or gain more insight into the item, or increase your attunement skill. You can however still use the items as normal weapons


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 01, 2013, 12:33:21 PM
Richard runs after Duror for back up.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 01, 2013, 02:18:04 PM

Nameless follows Richard, hefting whatever tool/weapon he found at the prior mining site.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 01, 2013, 06:09:37 PM
ooc: what do you mean with the previous mining site? Is that the orc skeletons you found earlier? They were carrying shovels and picks
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 01, 2013, 07:03:25 PM
ooc: what do you mean with the previous mining site? Is that the orc skeletons you found earlier? They were carrying shovels and picks

** Yes. So Nameless would have grabbed one of each (that fortunately would have helped with the wall of rubble as well). Figure he can Brawl or use the shovel as a really poor edged weapon. :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 02, 2013, 02:36:19 PM
Duror


I will continue to pursue the Orc with Haste and will attack with my magical hammer when in range.


(See post in character thread)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 07, 2013, 06:11:49 PM
Ok, everything is in:
Round 5: Orc runs. Duror starts running after the orc at hasted speed (2 run actions/round, he will catch up with the orc on round 8). Nameless clears the hole. Mobius starts worming through the hole. Richard runs after Duror
Round 6: Orc runs. Duror runds at hasted speed, Richard and Nameless run after Duror, Mobius clears the hole, Auris starts worming through the hole
I need declarations for round 7 from everyone except Auris
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 07, 2013, 06:19:57 PM
Duror


Continue to run after the Orc hastily. Are we still in a tunnel or as the surrounding changed at all?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 08, 2013, 12:13:08 AM
Duror


Continue to run after the Orc hastily. Are we still in a tunnel or as the surrounding changed at all?

Nameless.

Follow Duror. What's the range to Duror and to the Orc? Also, how wide is the passageway?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 08, 2013, 12:53:23 AM
Richard continues to folow Duror.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 08, 2013, 08:00:47 AM
ooc: ok, to keep things going, I'm assuming Mobius waits for Auris and then follows, as he indicated he wanted to keep out of the way of the other combatants

Round 7: Orc runs, Auris clears the hole, helped by Mobius. the rest has run down the tunnel.

The chase leads you through a couple of turns in the tunnel, there are small side tunnels, but do not seem to be major arteries in the mining complex...there are torches at long intervals, which give you just enough light as to not stumble over the various rocks that lie on the floor. The passageway is large enough for a mining cart to go through, so 2 people can easily stand next to eachother, but not much more. The side passages are all single file, or even crawl spaces.

ooc: in terms of location: The orc started to run at round 1. Duror and Richard started to run at round 5. Nameless starts running at round 6. For simplicity sakes, I assume everyone has the same pace, but Duror is running twice that due to his haste. So at the end of round 7 (or beginning of round 8), the orc has a 1 round lead to Duror, a 4 round lead on Richard and a 5 round lead on Nameless.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 08, 2013, 08:05:46 AM
End of round 7:

The orc looks back frightened to see Duror running after him at an unnatural speed...he starts screaming again as he turns a corner...there Duror is greeted by a group of orc miners running towards them. 4 are carrying picks, while another is carrying a whip and sword, with soft leather armor and is significantly larger. They stop dead in their tracks...the large orc shouts something and draws his sword. One of the orc miners breaks off and runs away...the other form a single file with raised picks in defense in order to let the running orc pass and then close ranks to block Duror.

ooc: declarations please
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 08, 2013, 09:18:09 AM
Since I'm apparently running behind:

Auris, R8, somewhere at the back.
Auris follows the rest of the group, putting on the gauntlet even though it's not attuned. When he sees the row of orcs, he tries to melt away in the shadows of the tunnel.



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 08, 2013, 02:01:59 PM
Duror


Thinking to himself, "I should have learned not to run ahead of the party"


Will cast invisibility (ring).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 08, 2013, 04:58:20 PM
Richard as he hears the Orc shouts, lessens his pace to stalking, and waits for the others to catch up.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on January 08, 2013, 08:04:08 PM
Mobius
 
Will run towards the ensuing fight.  When he's 1 or 2 rounds from catching up he'll stop and prepare a magic surprise.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 08, 2013, 10:26:06 PM
Round 8:

- The orc joins his comrades and the orcs with picks close the lines
- Duror stops in his tracks and vanishes...leaving the orcs utterly confused and visibly scared...they look around anxiously, the orc with the whip shouts something to keep them in line
- Richard jumps into a side tunnel (4 rounds behind Duror) and waits for the others to catch up
- Nameless runs onwards and reaches Richard, but will miss him unless Richard reveals himself (4 rounds behind Duror)
- Mobius and Auris run onwards (6 rounds behind Duror)

NB: nobody can see from their position what is happening at Duror's location. There are too many turns. Duror himself was surprised to see the other orcs. You will not see it until you are 2 rounds away. You did hear the orc shouting and the other orc shouting a command, but that's it

Please declare actions for round 9
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 08, 2013, 10:45:16 PM
"Pst, Nameless, out here."  Richard waves to Nameless as he passes by, "There are Orcs ahead," he says.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 09, 2013, 12:58:35 AM
"Pst, Nameless, out here."  Richard waves to Nameless as he passes by, "There are Orcs ahead," he says.

If Nameless hears that, and having likely noticed no one ahead, he ducks in w Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 09, 2013, 02:46:29 PM
Nameless hears this
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 10, 2013, 02:38:30 PM
Round 9


Duror, now invisible, is going to back off from the orcs and wait for the other parties to arrive.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 10, 2013, 03:36:28 PM
Auris keeps running onwards till he notices that orcs are there, and will try to stay out of sight of any orcs as soon as he does become aware of them.

OOC: lest we get a bunch of confusion again, I'll let the gamemaster handle this, just poke me if/when I need to roll again for staying out of sight or when I reached the rest.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on January 10, 2013, 08:31:20 PM
Mobius
 
Will hide in da shadows and prep a phantasm. 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 10, 2013, 11:21:08 PM
Nameless hears this

Nameless moves into the side tunnel behind Richard and hides
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 12, 2013, 08:56:42 AM
Round 9:

- The orcs with the picks start hacking in midair at an unseen opponent
- Duror backs away to a safe distance and waits for the others, but no-one comes
- Nameless and Richard are hiding out in one of the side corridors (4 rounds away from Duror)
- Mobius blends away in the shadows and starts prepping a spell (6 rounds away from Duror)
- Auris runs onwards (now 5 rounds away from Duror)

Nameless and Richard can hear Auris running towards them from behind...otherwise they hear nothing up ahead. Except for Duror, nobody has any idea what is happening up ahead...the orcs are no longer yelling

ooc: please declare actions for round 10 and keep in mind your distance
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 12, 2013, 01:08:56 PM

Nameless whispers to Richard, "What now?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 12, 2013, 06:45:53 PM
"We ambush them ?" says Richard to Nameless.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 12, 2013, 07:00:28 PM
"We ambush them ?" says Richard to Nameless.

"Only if Auris or Duror drags them back this way .... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 12, 2013, 07:03:38 PM
"You hear the Orc yells; if they should come after Auris, then we attack them."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 12, 2013, 07:06:14 PM
"You hear the Orc yells; if they should come after Auris, then we attack them."

"Once Auris passes us then there isn't likely to be a behind ... Get his attention."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 13, 2013, 03:48:15 AM
Nameless, you mean, when Auris passes by, we should bring his attention to us, and then attack the Orcs ?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 13, 2013, 04:01:53 AM
Nameless, you mean, when Auris passes by, we should bring his attention to us, and then attack the Orcs ?

"Get his attention, yes. Attack the Orcs, no."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 13, 2013, 10:56:21 AM
At that moment Auris runs by
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 13, 2013, 01:56:10 PM
At that moment Auris runs by

"pssst! in here..." whispered
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 13, 2013, 02:15:10 PM
Auris

Auris stops in his tracks, looks around where the noise came from. He's feeling distinctly ill at ease, and readies himself to deliver some blows. Then he realises it were his companions trying to get his attention, so he turns to the source of the sound, and walks to them.

In a low voice: "What's up guys? Danger ahead?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 13, 2013, 02:39:27 PM


In a low voice: "What's up guys? Danger ahead?"

"Yes. Orcs. Duror is up there somewhere as well ... Couple hundred feet or so, I think." Nameless replies

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 13, 2013, 04:28:07 PM
Auris

"Any idea how many of them? If its just half a dozen underlings, we may be able to outsmart them without them bringing all their brothers, cousins, and cousins twenty-seven-times-removed upon us." This was typical Auris, gallows humor with a cynical undertone.

"More to the point, I think we might use one of your illusions to get rid of them. Could you produce an image of an orc chief? Then we'll tell those loons to take a hike and keep their mouth shut. And if they don't fall for it, ah well, then there's always the wet solution."

"Unless you have a better plan?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM
Auris

And, an afterthought: "hmm, and we need to recall Duror as well then, before he starts smashing stuff."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 13, 2013, 04:31:43 PM
ooc: @Hayer. Mobius is still behind and not present at the conversation
@ Duror: what does Duror do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 13, 2013, 04:50:50 PM
OOC: Ok, strike this conversation. And please, please add the name of your toon in your posts. An absent-minded chap like me will sooner rather than later start making these kind of mistakes....  :-[
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 15, 2013, 05:59:57 PM
Round 10:

- The orcs with the picks continue hacking in midair at an unseen opponent
- Duror can see that other larger orcs are running towards the orc line, they will arrive in round 11
- Duror continues to wait for the others at a safe distance
- Nameless, Auris and Richard are hiding out in one of the side corridors and discussing tactics (4 rounds away from Duror)
- Mobius continues prepping a spell while hiding in the shadows (6 rounds away from Duror)
please declare actions for round 11

 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 15, 2013, 08:25:39 PM
Round 10:

- The orcs with the picks continue hacking in midair at an unseen opponent
- Duror can see that other larger orcs are running towards the orc line, they will arrive in round 11
- Duror continues to wait for the others at a safe distance
- Nameless, Auris and Richard are hiding out in one of the side corridors and discussing tactics (4 rounds away from Duror)
- Mobius continues prepping a spell while hiding in the shadows (6 rounds away from Duror)
please declare actions for round 11

 

Nameless asks the others (and the GM), "Was there another tunnel back the way we came? Perhaps we can go around these Orcs? Or where does this tunnel go to?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 16, 2013, 01:09:11 AM
Duror


Will hold his position and ready his hammer for attack.




Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 16, 2013, 07:51:16 AM
There was a tunnel the other way. Please note that only Duror can see and hear the other orcs approaching.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 24, 2013, 11:33:04 AM
Auris, tucked away in a corridor, between R10 and R11

"Guys, we could go after Duror, but 10 to 1 we'll get into more trouble. And I hoped Mobius would be here, but he's behind, apparently.  Is there any way in which we can get Duror to fall back and Mobius to get here? Anyone who can hoot like an owl, or something? Anything that will attract his attention and cannot be easily identified by the orcs of this desolate land".
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 24, 2013, 02:42:37 PM
Duror


(When are we declaring actions for the next round?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on January 24, 2013, 08:09:38 PM
Mobius
 
Realizing he isn't close enough to make his illusion effective, he advances at a run towards the others while holding onto his mystical energies.
 
 
 
ooc: I thought I had posted this earlier.  Sorry for the delay.  Tax season is busy with all the changes to investments.  *sigh*
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 29, 2013, 07:14:49 PM
Round 11:

For Duror's eyes only:
- The new arrived orcs discuss something with the larger orc with whip...he in turn shouts order at the pick wielding orcs...the look hesitant, but after another firm bark, the start moving forward in formation hacking away in midair. Duror will need to retreat or attack, otherwise he will get hit by the next round, as the formation covers the entire width of the passage

- Nameless, Auris and Richard are hiding out in one of the side corridors and continue to discuss tactics (4 rounds away from Duror)
- Mobius starts moving towards the others. He's now 5 rounds away from Duror...the others can hear someone running towards them

please declare actions for round 12
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 29, 2013, 07:35:49 PM
Duror

Seeing the orcs approaching, he retreats to join the group and tell them what's coming.

(OCC- will Haste work while invisible?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 29, 2013, 08:06:37 PM
Auris, R12

Whispering to Richard and Nameless: "What's that? There is noise behind us! Could be Mobius, could be orcs. Ready yourselves for battle!"

Auris pushes himself to a wall on the side of the niche, preparing to slap his unattuned gauntlet in the back of anyone who tries to enter. At the same time he whistles, but very faintly - hoping that only people close by could hear it, in case it's Mobius.

OOC: tell me if I have to roll for that.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 30, 2013, 12:59:59 AM

Nameless hefts his shovel and holds his action based on Auris' comment.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 31, 2013, 12:20:06 PM
Richard awaits to see who's coming.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 31, 2013, 07:50:22 PM
Round 12:

- The orcs continue to move onwards, hacking in the air

- Duror retreats towards the others (3 rounds away)
- Mobius walks past the side entrance...he doesn't seem to hear the soft whistling as he is focused on maintaining concentration, while running
- The group can see Mobius, if they peek out of the side corridor

ooc:please declare actions for round 13

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 31, 2013, 08:12:33 PM
Richard warns Mobius, "Hey, Mobius, over here. There are Orcs ahead."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on January 31, 2013, 09:01:20 PM
Mobius
 
Seems to almost do a flip in mid air trying to crane his neck around to find the side passage.  He enters it and mulls the situation over.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 31, 2013, 09:04:00 PM
Roll against your spell skill in order to see if this breaks your concentration
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 31, 2013, 11:42:51 PM
Duror

Continues to retreat while invisible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 01, 2013, 08:47:08 PM
Round 13:

- The orcs start to pick up pace, as their confidence rises...they start chatting among themselves, while they're happily chopping away at midair
- Duror continues to stay out of their reach (2 rounds away)

- The others can hear the orcs come closer from up ahead...they can tell their are a couple of them, but to get exact numbers, they need to reveal themselves

please discuss strategy and I'll forward to when the orcs pass along the side corridor


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 01, 2013, 09:37:37 PM
Auris, R13

"Mobius! You're just in time for some work here. There are Orcs ahead. No clue how many, but Duror is somewhere there and no doubt not enjoying their company. More to the point, I think we might use one of your illusions to get rid of them. Could you produce an image of an orc chief? Or maybe the Eye itself? Then we'll tell those loons to take a hike and keep their mouth shut. And if they don't fall for it, ah well, then there's always the wet solution, even with our motley collection of artifacts."

Auris had a quaint look on his face. Half lust for blood (though probably rather the baron's then the orc's), half fear barely held in check by determination.

"Unless you have a better plan?"


OOC: reclycing part of my earlier material now it actually is appropriate.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 03, 2013, 06:40:19 PM
Auris, R13

After giving his opinions about battle-tactics, Auris turns around, and an unsettling thought forms in his mind. This corridor they are hiding in may contain orcs or any other type of filth as well. He uses his dark vision to see how far it actually goes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 03, 2013, 07:43:54 PM
Auris, R13

After seeing the corridor goes on for a decent while at least, Auris comes up with yet another variation: "What we could also do is retreat a bit further, and have the illusion resemble a collapsed corridor. And then attack whatever is coming from behind". Auris grins, clearly indicating that that is his favorite mode of fighting.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 03, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
Auris, R13

After seeing the corridor goes on for a decent while at least, Auris comes up with yet another variation: "What we could also do is retreat a bit further, and have the illusion resemble a collapsed corridor. And then attack whatever is coming from behind". Auris grins, clearly indicating that that was has favorite mode of fighting.

Nameless replies, "That works for me..." and he backs down far enough so that Auris can do just that.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on February 04, 2013, 10:46:33 PM
Mobius
 
"I was just thinking something similar.  Let the orcs investigate, find nothing and they should wander off."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 05, 2013, 06:13:29 PM
Round 14-16

- Auris, Mobius, Nameless and Richard move further down the small side tunnel (1-man wide)...it makes a turn behind which they can hide. When you look further you see that the tunnel stops not long after. It seems like a mining tunnel that the orcs gave up on

-The orcs and Duror pass the entrance of the side-tunnel. Some look inside, but see nothing. They pass on. The orcs in front are not waving their picks as fanatically as before anymore. Instead they're moving forward faster. It seems they're moving forward

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 06, 2013, 12:22:23 AM
How far is Duror/ the Orcs from the group?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 06, 2013, 12:32:06 AM
How far is Duror/ the Orcs from the group?

And how many did we hear pass by?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 06, 2013, 06:02:33 PM
@ Duror: at round 15 you were 0 rounds away from the group ie. roughly at the front of the side entrance. Every round you keep backing away is another round away from the group...so at the end of round 16, you are 1 round away from the group
@Nameless: please roll a perception roll to see how accurate your hearing is
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 07, 2013, 03:02:12 PM
Duror

Referencing the map, Duror (who is still invisible) will duck into the unknown side tunnel just south of the Group's location. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 07, 2013, 05:32:27 PM
You succeed and the orcs march by.
What does the group do?
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 07, 2013, 10:29:35 PM
You succeed and the orcs march by.
What does the group do?
 

Nameless gives them a count of 10 and then whispers, "A dozen or so of them ... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 11, 2013, 08:15:53 AM
Round 17

The orcs continue moving forward...it seems they will move all the way towards where you came from
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 11, 2013, 11:08:40 AM
Duror


Will make is way back to the party. He will take off the ring just before he reaches the side tunnel.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 11, 2013, 11:46:20 AM
Unfortunately duror doesn't know where the group is, as they are hiding. It could very well be that he has led the orcs straight to them
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 11, 2013, 10:40:23 PM
Round 17

The orcs continue moving forward...it seems they will move all the way towards where you came from

Nameless whispers to the others, "What now?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 12, 2013, 10:39:48 AM
Auris

"Well, the orcs will have passed us, and Duror is nowhere to be seen - so he's either still running for his life, or is dead already. We have the choice to sneak behind the orcs and continue our way, or attack them from the back. Your call. Though we shouldn't forget that he may be useful in getting us all out of this forsaken land." And, he did not say except for in his own mind: he also has some valuable artifacts on him...


OOC: please confirm that the orcs indeed stayed in the main tunnel and passed us. From the volume of their noise (increasing then decreasing), that should be apparent ^^
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 12, 2013, 12:32:03 PM
Confirmed
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 12, 2013, 08:49:56 PM
Confirmed

** How much time do we think we have before they reach where we dug through?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on February 12, 2013, 09:13:44 PM
Mobius
 
in quiet tones, "It's probably best to leave the scum un-molested.  Their disappearance may cause an alarm we'd rather avoid.  We could more easily move through their outpost if they're not searching for something.  As for Duror?  What if he somehow got behind them?  There were other side tunnels I passed before this one."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 13, 2013, 12:31:32 PM
Approximately three rounds
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 13, 2013, 03:36:23 PM
Duror,


Still invisible, Duror will search the side tunnels he passed for the group.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2013, 09:12:14 AM
The first side tunnel he enters appears empty, but does seem to go on behind a turn
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 14, 2013, 07:03:33 PM
Duror

Will continue around the turn in the tunnel.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2013, 10:32:57 PM
You see the others hiding and whispering to each other
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 15, 2013, 02:27:35 PM
Duror


Duror will remove his ring out of sight of the group and approach them.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on February 16, 2013, 06:24:47 PM
Mobius
 
"Took you long enough!"  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 17, 2013, 11:46:00 PM
Duror

"I hate Orcs..."  :angry:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 17, 2013, 11:53:20 PM

Nameless whispers, "Now what? Sneak out before they come back. Or wait til they pass by again?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 18, 2013, 11:23:08 AM
Auris

"The longer we wait, the bigger the chance they will call in reinforcements. I say we at least move ahead, quietly, and duck into another of these side-corridors should they come back or more show up. A bunch of orcs can usually be heard well in time. Or smelled......" At those last words, Auris' face looks like he ate something distinctly unpleasant.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 19, 2013, 03:32:01 PM
Duror


"While I've had my fill of orcs, can we retreat to the chamber? Wasn't it filled with lava? We may have no choice but to trudge through these tunnels..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on February 19, 2013, 09:08:43 PM
Mobius
 
"I think it best to move now.  It's quite a hike that they might be on.  Still would be good to keep an ear out in case they cut their walk short."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 20, 2013, 12:26:02 PM
Duror


"Let's move then!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 20, 2013, 07:06:34 PM
Where does the group move to?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 22, 2013, 02:00:37 PM
Duror


Unless I'm mistaken, back to the caved-in tunnels in Mount Doom and out of the orc-tunnels.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 22, 2013, 08:34:31 PM
ooc: please note that is where the orcs went to (at least in that direction)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 22, 2013, 08:43:14 PM
Auris

"Guys, other direction. Even Orcs need to have an exit of these tunnels, and while I sympathise with dwarves loving tunnels and all that, there ain't gonna be a tunnel out of this land back to the civilized world."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on February 22, 2013, 09:02:34 PM
Mobius
 
"Auris is right.  We need to get out and as far as we know, where we came from is a dead end."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 22, 2013, 09:29:03 PM
Duror

What about the other side tunnels?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 27, 2013, 07:55:47 AM
Indecision grips the group as they discuss which way is the best route to the surface. Then they hear the footsteps of a runner coming from the direction of the orcs
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 27, 2013, 08:21:32 AM
Auris

"Oh, shut up all! We don't have time for this - don't you hear there's an orc running towards us? Intercept it, kill it, so it won't call for backup. It won't do to have the entire orc-brood of Barad-dûr on us. Now act swiftly!"

Auris turns towards the main corridor, and grabs a stone the size of a fist.


OOC: LOL at your handling of us posting slowly. Also, since we're in a mine, I assume that stones are readily available. Orc's don't mine that cleanly, surely.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 27, 2013, 12:10:16 PM
Duror


I assume it's a single orc?


"instead of confronting the orc, should we move further down the tunnel we're in?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 27, 2013, 12:56:19 PM
From the sound of it, it seems to be a single orc...Auris is easily able to find a rock the size of his fist
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 27, 2013, 07:40:03 PM
Duror


Stone sense roll made in character thread. Does Duror notice anything in the tunnel with use of his infravision?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 27, 2013, 07:57:39 PM
Not in the side tunnel you're currently in. It seems to be an actual mining tunnel, as in where they would do the actual mining, contrary to a mining infrastructure tunnel as the main one outside. You sense this will probably end up at a dead end at some point, depending how long the ore went
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 27, 2013, 08:07:03 PM
Duror


"No use going this way." To the group, "So- do we kill the orc and proceed the way we came in, or hide out here and let him pass?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 28, 2013, 03:26:11 PM
Auris

"If you lot don't kill him, I certainly will." He throws his stone up a few inches in the air, captures it, and positions himself such that he would be out of sight of any orc passing by, but close enough to leap straight at his back/head.

"And one of those famous illusions would help here, make it look like the corridor he runs in ends here."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 28, 2013, 04:29:02 PM
Duror


"If we're going to kill orcs, then by all means..." Duror draws his hammer. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 01, 2013, 12:50:01 PM
The footsteps come closer next round the orc will pass the cave entrance. Please declare actions for round 1 and roll appropriate rolls ( initiative, ambush, attack)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 01, 2013, 03:59:47 PM
Duror

Will attack with his hammer. Will also operate Haste at will.

(Rolls in personal thread)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 01, 2013, 04:08:41 PM

Under Haste, I can perform 2 normal actions in a round (pg. 127/132 of the rulebook). So, I'll attack the Orc twice with the magical hammer I found. I'm not attuned to the hammer, but would I still get a bonus for superior material of the hammer regardless of attunement?


Initiative roll
Rolled 1d10+8 : 5 + 8, total 13
Rolled 1d100+50 : 58 + 50, total 108
Rolled 1d100+50 : 71 + 50, total 121



Will attack rolls be adjusted for surprise?





Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 02, 2013, 08:35:50 AM
Will wait till the back of the orc is visible (I'm facing the same direction as he).

If he is wearing a helmet, I'll drop the stone, and smash his back with the gauntlet.
If he isn't wearing a helmet, I'll throw the stone at his head first.

OOC: please advise what to roll.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 04, 2013, 06:51:37 PM
ooc: just so we get the sequence right. Auris will position himself as to wait until the orc passes, so he can hit him from behind. Duror is not making such an effort and will attack with haste. As such Duror is faster and will attack before Auris. Please note, that the tunnel you're currently in, is only one person wide in terms of attacking, so you need to get into the main tunnel if you both want to attack at the same time

@Duror: you get a +15 bonus, which is the maximum non-magical item bonus. Rolls will be adjusted for surprise, but for that you need to at least roll a stalk and hide roll. If you want ambush bonus, then you need to roll an ambush roll. Currently I'm assuming you do not make the effort to be stealthy, just fast. This would give you a positional bonus at most...and if the orc has no weapon drawn, that gives an advantage as well.

@Auris: attacking with random items is a brawling roll. For surprise, or ambush, roll appropriate skills (see text Duror above)

@ Rest: The rest waits and see?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 04, 2013, 07:17:57 PM
Auris

Upon seeing Duror is going to attack to he makes a gesture suggesting that he goes first, and into the main corridor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 04, 2013, 09:00:15 PM
No stalk or ambush roll. I'll just rely on my speed and position. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 04, 2013, 11:39:53 PM
Richard lets the two other fellows attack, and then tries the sword of Celebrimbor on the Orc, to make sure he doesn't shout an alarm.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 07, 2013, 09:04:26 AM
Ooc: I need to know who goes first. Auris or Duror

@ richard: please keep in mind that the bolts havent reharged yet...its still the same day
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 07, 2013, 01:49:52 PM
OOC: Duror first. march 4th: "Upon seeing Duror is going to attack to he makes a gesture suggesting that he goes first, and into the main corridor."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 07, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
Ooc: ah, I thought the gesture was meant to signal that Auris would go first :-)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 09, 2013, 01:08:57 AM
Mobius takes a round to figure out just what the heck he wants to do.  ::)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 09, 2013, 06:32:59 PM
Duror rushes out...the orc's eyes widen and he tries unsuccesfully to parry the oncoming blow with his pick...ala he's too late and Duror hits the orc square in the chest,  the orc falls back to the ground, Duror's next hit smashes his head to pulp...instant kill, no sound...well done
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 09, 2013, 08:23:20 PM
Duror


"We should hide the body before the other orcs find him." Duror will drag the body into the tunnel to hide it...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 09, 2013, 08:59:56 PM
you hear no other orcs approaching, so it seems you got away with it
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 10, 2013, 03:11:28 PM
Auris

"Just put it there around the corner, out of sight, and place some rocks on him, so when they find him, they may think there was a bit of a cave-in." Auris drags the corpse with Duror that way, making a gesture towards the others the help. He throws the stone he had in his hand on the body once in position.

"And now guys, let's quickly get out of here, and find an exit."

Auris returns to the main corridor, and listens carefully, then looks closely in both directions for trouble.

OOC: please say if I would see more if I roll perception for dark vision (in other words: you may now update us on how many torches there  are in the corridor  :lol:)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 10, 2013, 05:52:22 PM
There are enough torches...you can hear some orc chattering from where you entered this complex...they're probably still figuring out what to make of all this. The direction the orc was running in, is quiet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 10, 2013, 07:06:21 PM
Auris

"Ok guys, let's go. Steady pace, and at the first sight of trouble, in a side-corridor again."

Auris starts walking, after thirty paces or so he checks if everyone else is following.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 10, 2013, 08:36:44 PM
I assume you walk in the same direction that the orc was running?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 10, 2013, 08:48:53 PM
OOC: very much so, see earlier posts ;) Into the great unknown.... and the exit!!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 10, 2013, 09:20:23 PM
Duror

Follows Auris down the tunnel...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 12, 2013, 07:23:21 AM
Assuming everyone follows...
You walk on through the tunnel...when you are slightly beyond the point Duror reached earlier, you can hear faint mining noises in the distance
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 12, 2013, 09:01:55 AM
Auris starts looking for a side-tunnel. If one is nearby and appears empty, he'll go in.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 12, 2013, 10:34:47 AM
There is one, it is empty...the sound continuous diligently in the distance. Once in a while you hear the cracking of a whip
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 12, 2013, 02:07:40 PM
Duror

Wonderful, more orcs and their task-masters, he thinks to himself.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 12, 2013, 08:20:53 PM
Mobius
 
Following along and providing additional dark enhanced vision when necessary.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 12, 2013, 08:38:24 PM
The sound continues...orcs seem to be busy up ahead, but no movement towards your position
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 12, 2013, 08:55:11 PM
Auris

To the rest: "a bunch of orcs nearby. Probably too many to kill without causing an alarm, unless we can keep them in place somehow. Perhaps an illusion, or some flanking manoeuvre to get behind them?"

Also, Auris considers his thusfar failed attunements. Perhaps he was appraoching this the wrong way around; lore never was his strongest suit, but perhaps he could find out more by examining the value of the item, and the materials used. That is more in line with his expertise. He quickly studies the gauntlet in the light of the torches while the rests thinks about the orcs ahead.

OOC: see personal thread for an appraisal roll, as a long-shot tactic to get more info ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 13, 2013, 01:31:40 PM
Duror


"Can anyone sneak up and see scout how many Orcs we are dealing with?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 13, 2013, 07:42:49 PM
Mobius
 
I'll do it.  I was always sneaking around places I shouldn't when I was a kid.  Never got caught either.  ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 14, 2013, 07:41:09 AM
Mobius sneaks away and out of sight for the rest of the group
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 14, 2013, 05:35:46 PM
OOC: What do the others do in anticipation of Mobius' return? (this could take a while RL-wise...you guys really need to stop splitting up  :yes: ...your friendly GM is getting a head-ache from managing it  :ill: )
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 14, 2013, 05:46:32 PM
Richard cleans the dust and blood from the sword of Celebrimbor.

OOC: Can I put 20 skill ranks in the sword ?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 14, 2013, 11:31:15 PM
Duror


Will keep watch with the rest of the group as Mobius sneaks off to investigate...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 15, 2013, 08:04:19 AM
Mobius returns after a while and reports that there are several orcs up ahead mining several side tunnels. No way to pass them via the main tunnel unnoticed. There seem to be three overseers with whips and short swords. The miners have picks and buckets
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 15, 2013, 04:35:09 PM
Auris

While Mobius was away, Arius took a deep breath, realised what enormous challenges he had survived already to get here, and suddenly felt more confident - more able, in a way. It would be time to try that attunement again.

When Mobius returns, he hears the report, and says:
"Well, if we cannot pass unnoticed, let's see if we can pass in a way they'll never forget. Here's my plan: Based on my duping and speech skills, I'll call out the taskmasters one by one. We'll kill them here, again one by one. Toss their heads in, and then tell the rest to gather in a side tunnel and await our return - which will never come."


EDIT, OOC: attunement roll made in the meantime.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 16, 2013, 05:47:26 PM
Auris quickly looks around to his compagnions to see if anyone wants to add to the plan, or has a better idea.

OOC: if not, I'll continue with this tomorrow (Sunday)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 17, 2013, 10:23:25 AM
Auris, R1 (I suppose we might as well start to number again), tunnel near, but not too close to the orcs

"Follow me at thirty paces, and be as silent as possible."

Auris cautiously moves to the closest spot where he will be heard loud and clear by the orcs, but still cannot be seen.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 17, 2013, 04:21:46 PM
None of the orc overseers notice Auris
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 17, 2013, 06:00:05 PM
Auris, R2, near the overseers

Auris then bellows: "You lazy overseer, yes you small miserable cretin! Come here, and explain your poor performance. There is a new boss in this mine, and it is time you render account of your performance - or lack thereof! Put your roaches to work even harder, and explain yourself!"

Auris prepares for the orc to come within range of his gauntlet. And when he does so, he'll soon be gone. Afterall, to Auris mind, orcs are just vermin - and vermin he has a very, very old score to settle with. All the same, he's glad it aren't humans. dwarves or gnomes he's dealing with.

OOC: duping roll in char thread.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 17, 2013, 06:17:20 PM
the three overseers shout an alarm and draw there weapons and move towards Auris location
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 17, 2013, 06:52:21 PM
OOC: re-read the post in my char sheet. I fumbled at typing the code for the roll, not the roll itself ^^ We'll need to correct this, unless you require an extremely high roll for this.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 18, 2013, 01:15:58 AM
Duror


OCC- Does the rest of the group know the orcs noticed Auris?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 18, 2013, 08:34:34 AM
OOC: since I typed the code for a roll between 1 and 2 (which produced a 2, which was predictably seen as a fumble) instead of 1-100, I expect a correction. The proper 1-100 roll gave a 95, so it remains to be seen if the orcs indeed notice the alarm. Sorry for the messup, btw.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 18, 2013, 03:24:54 PM
Ooc: I still need to make a decision on what the orcs do...its a tough one. But if they attack the rest will know they are a pretty load race and sound has only two ways to travel
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 19, 2013, 04:26:17 PM
OCC: where exactly are we on the map?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 19, 2013, 05:02:30 PM
ooc: your off the map  :mellow:  but it's just a couple of turns onwards...it still looks the same lay out wise
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 19, 2013, 06:28:37 PM
I thought we were off the map.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 20, 2013, 08:28:09 AM
Ok, this is what happens at Auris' location

The three overseers are startled at the sudden order in westron by an unseen person...

Ooc:i assume auris is hiding out of sight so doesnt see what they do, so this is what he hears:

One of the overseers shouts in broken westron "who's there?" And then he hears cautious footsteps approaching
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 20, 2013, 09:23:14 AM
Auris, R3 (I presume), a bit ahead of the group

As he hears the orcs approach, Auris realizes he probably has to add a bit more. he continues, bellowing in an authorative voice: "I've chosen Narsil's Bane, and Narsil's Bane has chosen me. Chosen me from the far lands where the light hurts to lead the rebirth into darkness, starting with this sorry excuse for a mine! Now approach your new master, and dispair!"

Auris hopes it's the right mixture of detail and vagueness to lure an apprehensive orc (or orcs?) in.

He readies himself, in a dark corner, to strike the first orc that comes near him with the gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 20, 2013, 09:58:08 AM
Its suddenly very quiet as the orc miners seem to have stopped working

Auris hears some cautious shuffling and then footsteps approaching him

One of the overseers comes into view, he peers into the tunnel whip in hand and other hand on the pommel of his sword...he sees Auris hiding in the shadow

R4 delarations please: Auris has automatic initiative
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 20, 2013, 10:12:17 AM
Auris, R4

Auris charges the orc, attacking with his gauntlet, going for the weakest spot he can reach (weakest as in most likely to produce some damage, as that's all he needs).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 20, 2013, 10:14:42 AM
The rest hears auris bellowing and notice the ensuing silence

The rest is 1 round removed
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 21, 2013, 09:22:08 AM
Ooc: does the rest wait patiently? You hear the commotion up ahead
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 21, 2013, 10:29:01 AM
Duror

Will draw his hammer and rush to assist Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 21, 2013, 11:29:06 AM
Do you haste? If so then you can attack this round
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 21, 2013, 03:44:41 PM
Richard also runs to the help of Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 21, 2013, 05:59:19 PM
Duror


Sure, I'll operate Haste at will. Can I attack once or twice this round?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 21, 2013, 06:14:24 PM
just once...one action for moving there and one for attacking
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 21, 2013, 06:35:31 PM
That's what I thought. I'll place my attack roll in my personal thread.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 21, 2013, 07:55:48 PM
Mobius closes to just outside of melee range and begins to prep a mystic bolt.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 23, 2013, 09:33:32 PM

** Sorry bout my absence, notifications stopped for some odd reason yet again ...

Nameless follows everyone else whereever they are going ...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 24, 2013, 08:08:05 PM
Round 4:


- Mobius preps a mystic bolt
- Richard and nameless run into melee range and can attack next round


Auris attacks the first orc that sees him, he strikes at him with the gauntles, the orc tries to deflect the punch and succeeds partially, but not enough to stop its evil message. He gets punched in the chest. As the orc is pushed back by the punch he suddenly starts to scream in intense agony as his soul his literally janked out of his body by the gauntlet...this continues for several hellish seconds then his eyes turn up in his skull and he slumps to the ground, as if 'switched off' you can see a shimmer which appears to be the orcs soul for a second and then it disappears in black smoke as it is utterly destroyed


The other two orcs gasp in shock and horror, but do not have a lot of time to think as out of nothing Duror appears and attacks the second orc with his hammer. He hits the orc in the side with a solid blow. The orc tries to retaliate with his whip, but fumbles horribly and dislocates his own elbow...he's quite dazed and limping...The third orc takes his chances and runs screaming...this sets off the workers, how scramble out of the side tunnels


ooc: declarations for round 5 please



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 24, 2013, 08:13:20 PM
...
ooc: declarations for round 5 please

Nameless will smack the one next to Duror with the shovel he's carrying (Brawling or Sword?).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 24, 2013, 08:23:58 PM
Brawling
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 24, 2013, 08:54:18 PM
Auris, R5

Auris runs after the escaped Orc, trying to overtake him before he reaches the rest.

He shouts at those following: "hurry!"

OOC: will attack the orc if I overtake him. I see no special ability on my charactersheet that can help with that, is that right?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 24, 2013, 10:12:19 PM
The stone-heart follows the party; if any Orc comes out to face him; he uses Celebrimbor's item. (Roll in my personal thread.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 25, 2013, 01:18:34 PM
Duror


Will attack the dazed Orc with one action and then begin a retreat to the rest of the party with the other.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 25, 2013, 01:26:56 PM
OOC: please say if I catch up with the running orc or not, cause if so, I need to attack (leaving it to the GM to decide if that would be still in R5, though if I can, I oviously will).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 25, 2013, 07:08:48 PM
Hayek catches up with the orc
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 25, 2013, 07:29:30 PM
Round 5:
Duror hits the dazed orc again with his hammer...the orc reeles but stands upright. Nameless then smacks him with his shovel, the orc has a look on his face with "really?" he staggers a bit more deciding on whether to remain standing or not, but before he can decide, Richard unceremonially impales him with Celembrimbors sword...the orc dies
Meanwhile Hayek runs after the third guard...it almosts looks like Sauron's gauntlet has given his short halfling legs some additional speed...he semi shoves the orc in the back...not enough to hurt him severely, but enough to let the gauntlet do its evil magic...the head of the orc is suddenly yanked back as his soul is ripped from his brain...the orc screams a hellish scream and then runs on like a headless chicken for a few steps and keels over dead...black smoke surrounds the gauntlet as the soul is destroyed
The orc miners are scrambling for their lives and are running away screaming
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 25, 2013, 07:46:00 PM
Auris, R6, near the corpse of the last taskmaster

Upon seeing the orc miners flee, Auris halts in his tracks. No point in trying to kill them all, even with the infamous gauntlet, some would always escape.
He turns and says to his comrades: "Well, let's see how long they will take to alarm cooler heads. We better prepare for some more battles. Richard, could you use that fine sword of yours to cut off the head of this orc? He has a nice expression to his face, we may want to toss it into the next bunch of vermin here. And let's quickly go through all their pockets, who knows what we'll find of use. In the meantime, there are still some behind us as well. Duror, that haste spell of yours, can you make me run faster with it? I have an idea to secure our backs."

Auris starts looking for beams that uphold the tunnel's roof.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 25, 2013, 07:58:57 PM
Auris finds plenty of support structures that he can destroy if he wants. He has no clue though how many and which would need to be destroyed as it would require mining skills, or engineering skills
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 25, 2013, 08:09:15 PM
Duror

"Aye- I can act with twice the speed when hasted. But given our predicament, would it be better to disengage from fighting orcs in these tunnels and make our way back to Mount Doom? The reason for this expedition was to secure treasure, not to kill orcs..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 25, 2013, 08:45:40 PM
Richard severs the head from the orc's body and holds it by the hairs in his hand ready to toss it at incoming goblins. "Shall we follow the main way to find a way out ?" he adds.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 25, 2013, 08:57:32 PM
Auris

To Duror: "By the looks of it, we secured our treasure already. Maybe a bit grim kind of treasure, seeing what this infernal gauntlet does, but treasure it is - priceless even, I appraised mine. The other items look to be of the same class to me. I'd say our next job is to get out of Mordor alive. Mount Doom behind us is erupting, if you didn't notice; that way will get us fried. In front lies the way out, orcs included. And unless you can convince them to graciously roll out the carpet for us, we'll have to kill some more!"

To Richard: "Thanks - maybe carry it in one of the orc's clothes, I don't think we'll make our stand here - I just realised I don't know enough of mining to do what I had in mind." Auris scratches his head, frowns, and then looks at each of his comrades.

To all: "Let's move, if we press forward this tunnel has to surface somewhere."

OOC: how are we for supplies? Do we have some lembas left (I set a little bit aside long ago on the way in, and never got the chance to use it, iirc)? If we'll have to live of the land, I'd like to know how much (roughly) we have to steal from these orcs. Also, did we find something noteworthy on those killed?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 25, 2013, 09:05:22 PM
ooc: you have no supplies...all was taken from you by the baron and stored in the main chamber, which you never reached
You find nothing noteworthy...three orc short swords, three whips, soft leather armor and some black root which will give you happy thoughts, but will blacken your teeth and make them rot. The orc miners left some more picks, buckets and shovels behind...and of course a large mining cart on wooden weels (no rails in case you're wondering) and a whole lot of unprocessed ore
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 25, 2013, 09:30:07 PM

Nameless grabs a couple of short swords, sticking one in his belt, "Backup in case" and a grabs a shield if they had them.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 25, 2013, 09:46:45 PM
no shields, just whips
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 25, 2013, 10:11:15 PM
Auris, R6 (conclusion)

Auris continues to move in the tunnel (same direction as before).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 26, 2013, 07:23:23 PM
Does everyone follow Auris? Or are there other plans?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 26, 2013, 07:23:51 PM
Mobius
 
Also picks up a short sword as back up and lets the magical energy disapate harmlessly as he follows Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 26, 2013, 07:34:39 PM
Duror

To the group, "proceeding further into the orc tunnels is foolish. Do we know how many await us? Can we kill them all even with Sauron's prizes? The tunnel may be the way out, but it may also be entrance to our tomb."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 26, 2013, 08:39:38 PM
Auris

Auris keeps on walking, softly singing - the words aren't completly clear, but contain many repetions of 'burn' and 'burning ring of fire'. With some work, someone might make it into a good song someday. Auris just appears slightly manical right now....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 26, 2013, 09:47:23 PM
Duror

To the group, "proceeding further into the orc tunnels is foolish. Do we know how many await us? Can we kill them all even with Sauron's prizes? The tunnel may be the way out, but it may also be entrance to our tomb."

"No idea... But what else should we do? Should we stick with Auris?" Nameless says, looking back and forth at the possible ways to go.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 26, 2013, 10:05:12 PM
"Me thinks, the tunnel out is the best way forward. We can always hide in a side tunnel if we hear Orcs coming," says Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 26, 2013, 10:51:44 PM
Duror


To the others- "Do we choose to follow a man who's poor attempt at a ruse alerted the orcs to our presence? If so, then you can lead the way."


Duror will follow Aurius, but keeping his distance.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 27, 2013, 07:13:58 PM
Mobius
 
"Hiding in the side tunnels has merit.  I've been tinkering with my ability to make phantasms and worked out how to make them better."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 28, 2013, 11:11:30 AM
As the group discusses a loud horn canbe heard reverberating through the tunnels...short bursts continue for a round or so...it sounds like an alarm of sorts
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 28, 2013, 11:37:18 AM
Auris

Auris swallows to get the foul taste out that suddenly appeared in his mouth upon hearing the horn. That it would have been nigh-on impossible to get out of a working orc-mine undetected he always knew, but he'd hoped for a bit more respite. He checks if he sees any orcs, if not, he continues running ahead (but pausing at each turn, taking a sneak peek around any corners before exposing himself).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 28, 2013, 11:55:44 AM
Ooc: does the rest follow the running Auris?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 28, 2013, 01:21:51 PM
OCC- In what direction is the horn blowing? Is Aurius running towards the horn or away from it?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 28, 2013, 01:23:01 PM
Duror


"See where your ruse has gotten us, Aurius!" he says as Aurius runs off.


While trying to figure out the direction of the horn blows, he asks Mobius- "how good are your illusions?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 28, 2013, 01:24:06 PM
He's running towards it
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on March 28, 2013, 07:13:07 PM
Mobius
 
"Much better.  It can be nearly life like; not just an image but sound and touch with it."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 28, 2013, 11:41:04 PM
Mobius
 
"Much better.  It can be nearly life like; not just an image but sound and touch with it."

Nameless shrugs, very confused, and will follow Duror.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 29, 2013, 01:36:33 PM
Duror


To those who don't run after Aurius- "do we follow Aurius or take a different way?"


(OCC- I am trying desperately not to break up the group!)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 31, 2013, 08:12:47 AM
ooc: much appreciated  :yes:


Auris runs out of sight


As Auris turns a corner he comes to a fork in the tunnel...the alarm has stopped by now, so Auris cant tell from which tunnel it came. The orc miners are also long gone
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 31, 2013, 05:58:44 PM
Auris

Auris waits for the group to catch up, and wonders what to do.

OOC: I may have an additional action this round, but let me do my 2c to keep everyone reasonably together. Also, I would now like to see that map. Last but not least: would dark vision be of any use ins eeing into the two tunnels, or are they well lit? If so, are they featureless, or is there something that distinguishes one from the other?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 31, 2013, 06:57:59 PM
The two tunnels are indistinguishable from each other, with dark vision and without


ooc: a map wont add anything at this point. The tunnel on the previous map, just snakes onwards with side tunnels now and again, until the fork in the tunnel where you are now
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 01, 2013, 01:17:53 PM
Duror


Noticing the horns stop, says, "We best see where Aurius is before we get lost. We can regroup and decide what to do from there." Duror proceeds in the direction Aurius ran.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 01, 2013, 08:42:24 PM
Mobius
 
"Aye." and follows after Duror.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 01, 2013, 09:01:14 PM
Mobius
 
"Aye." and follows after Duror.

Nameless follows Duror as well
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 02, 2013, 12:13:02 AM
Same here.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 02, 2013, 07:24:15 AM
Auris

Auris, not being able to spot anything that would give him a reason to choose either tunnel, feels inclinded to toss a coin, go for the one determined by the toss, and leave some mark for the rest. Yet he needs to catch his breath a bit, and doesn't want to put more tension on the group - Duror seems to hate his decisions anyway - so he waits. When the rest arrives: "So, gentlemen, I'm glad we all want to get out of here instead of having a BBQ in Mount Doom's innards. But this choice is less obvious: left or right?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 02, 2013, 03:26:36 PM
Duror


"It is foolish to rush willing into a nest of orcs, but we're in this together."


To the group, "Can anyone divine through enchantment the best way to proceed? If not, I choose the tunnel that smells better."



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 02, 2013, 04:47:58 PM
OOC: nvm, misread the manual.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 03, 2013, 11:41:03 PM
Duror


"The right one smells better and they both seem like the same tunnel to me."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 04, 2013, 08:28:48 AM
Auris

"Very well, we'll trust your nose." It looks like all have caught up, so Auris proceeds into the right tunnel, at a brisk pace, and with his gauntlet at the ready to smite down the first orc that dares to show his face.


OOC: looks like it's safe to assume everyone is here now. And we don't want to give our esteemed GM a headache, do we?  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 04, 2013, 01:24:54 PM
Duror follows...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 05, 2013, 07:45:09 PM
Mobius
 
Catches up with Auris, "Your ruse may have worked if I could use a phantasm on you.  I've figured out ways to make the illusions better.  Next time consult with the rest of us, maybe we can come up with a better plan."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 05, 2013, 08:23:26 PM
Auris

"Ah Mobius, that's good to hear! We'll get out of this, somehow. And I admit I was a bit hasty. "

OOC: do check post #750 though. Guess that was a bit too implicit ^^
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 06, 2013, 11:01:54 AM
The tunnel to the right snakes onwards...there are no more side tunnels here. You get the feeling this is more of a logistics tunnel to connect another area to the mining are you were in just now
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 06, 2013, 12:04:49 PM
Duror, "Where to now, Aurius? Continue to follow this tunnel or turn back?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 06, 2013, 02:31:00 PM
Auris

To Duror: "Unless you smell something more foul then a bunch of orcs ahead, yes, I say we press on. We do need to get out of these mines, and this may lead to an exit. Or a cesspit, hence my question...."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 08, 2013, 09:43:54 PM
OOC: if we're waiting for a response: I'm just continuing as before, progressing further into that corridor, assuming the rest follows, so won't post again IC till tehre is some development.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 08, 2013, 09:54:25 PM
Duror, grudgingly, will follow Auris onward into the tunnels.  >:(
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 09, 2013, 11:47:34 AM
A couple of meters further in the tunnel and you hear noise up ahead...the tunnel makes a turn obscuring your vision but there are shadows on the wall approaching your location...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 09, 2013, 12:31:26 PM
Auris, before the corner, R1

Auris readies his gauntlet, positioning himself against a wall (on the dark side), ready to strike the first orc that comes through.

He also whispers Mobius, with a wink that's probably barely visible: "time to create something nice, maestro".
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 09, 2013, 08:43:50 PM
Mobius
 
"Howz about I scout out the situation?  I'm really good at not being seen."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 09, 2013, 09:20:47 PM
Auris, R1, before the corner

whispers back: "By all means!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 11, 2013, 02:03:01 AM
The shadows become larger and you can distinctly hear orc grunting and strangely enough sniffing, as if there are dogs with them, but without the normal dog sounds.


You estimate, they will turn the corner on round 4


ooc: please declare actions for round 2. Mobius can take a sneak peek in round 2 if he makes a successful stalk and hide roll
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 11, 2013, 08:47:24 AM
Auris

Auris sighs, barely audible: "Wargs? As if we haven't had enough adventure today..."

OOC: will wait with my action till I know if Mobius attempts a sneak peek.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 11, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
Duror




"I think we should retreat and move away from the orcs."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 12, 2013, 07:21:29 PM
Mobius

Almost disappears into the darkness and returns not long after.  "There's a group of 10 orc soldiers, with two slave trackers, crawling on the floor, smelling tracks. Some carry crossbows. They look similar to the ones that ambushed us at the bridge."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 12, 2013, 07:45:01 PM
Auris

"Ah, that's a lot less bad than it could have been. Want to try a phantasm, or shall we rush in? In fact, if you're that stealthy, perhaps kill some crossbowmen from behind. Those were the dangerous ones last time."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 13, 2013, 03:48:21 PM
Ok, round 2 has been spent discussing tactics...you can now hear the orcs grunting to each other and the sniffing and snorting becomes more audible and disgusting...you need to be careful discussing, for if you can hear them, they can hear you. Next round they'll be coming round the corner


please declare actions for round 3
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 13, 2013, 04:01:57 PM
Auris keeps his position against the wall, ready to obliterate the first orc.

OOC: may update depending on the rest, but I'm not going to initiate any more battle-plans/gambits/risky tricks right now.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 13, 2013, 06:26:54 PM
Richard hides in the shadows and makes ready to smite one of the big Orcs when they pass by.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 13, 2013, 10:02:05 PM
Duror
 
"Seeing they sniffers, I'm heading back the way we came. Maybe we can set up an ambush."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 14, 2013, 12:08:58 PM
Auris

"And the minute they pass here, they'll smell we have been here, and expect trouble. Let's stand our ground here, and be done with them."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 15, 2013, 12:30:53 AM
Duror


Looks around to the rest of the group- "Unless there is an objection, I guess we will fight." Duror readies his hammer and will prepare to haste next round.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 15, 2013, 08:27:46 PM
Mobius
 
Motions/signals everyone to hide as best they can.  He hides in the shadows and casts a phantasm of a giant spider to meet the orcs when they come around the corner next turn.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 15, 2013, 09:53:43 PM
ooc: Is everyone hiding in the shadows? There isn't much to hide in, so it will be a very hard roll to succeed in going undetected, but you might gain surprise and the spider's effect is anyone's guess  :lol:. Please roll the approproate roll in your personal thread
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 15, 2013, 11:54:12 PM
Duror

Will use his invisibility ability as per the ring of power he wears instead of trying to hide in the shadows.  ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 20, 2013, 09:04:37 PM
Round 3:


Duror disappears in mid air
At the same time a very large spider appears, it rattles slightly as its venomous fangs move...you can swear you can almost smell the venom
Mobius, Richard and Nameless all stick themselves against the wall, but otherwise make a poor attempt at hiding. Auris on the other hand climbs up the wall and seems to almost blend in with the rocks overhead


The orcs come around the corner...at that moment they see the gigantic spider...they stop dead in their tracks...the spider rises on its hind legs and hisses viciously. Two slave trackers scamper quickly behind their masters who ready their swords in anticipation of the spider's attack. Behind them orcs with crossbows take aim at the spider


ooc: please declare actions for round 4. NB: the spider is between you and the orcs. Rushing over to attack them means running through the illusion, thereby shattering it



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 21, 2013, 12:39:35 PM
Duror


Now invisible (thanks to Sauron), Duror will not act to disturb the illusion and will draw his hammer for combat if needed (OCC: assuming that drawing a weapon will not disrupt invisibility unlike attacking, which will.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 21, 2013, 01:01:30 PM
Nameless -

Will continue hiding until an Orc comes within melee range (through or around the illusion or if the illusion goes away).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 21, 2013, 01:22:51 PM
Auris, R4

Auris has, almost to his own amazement, succeeded in hiding on the ceiling of the tunnel. All those years hiding in rafters, eavesdropping on the conversations below, must have had its use. His gauntlet at the ready, he'll wait till the orcs pass under him, and try to use the confusion to smite as many out of existence as he can. For now, he waits.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 21, 2013, 09:08:50 PM
Richard will also wait for the Orcs to pass through his position.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 23, 2013, 08:13:58 PM
Mobius
Controls the spider to make it seem like it's attacking but tentatively trying to size up the opponent it faces.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 24, 2013, 06:53:55 AM
Round 4:
The orcs with swords also hold defensively, trying to see what the spider will do...the archers behind them loose a volley of bolts. These pass through the illusion, thereby shattering its effect. Auris is almost hit by one of them, but he's lucky
The orcs peer into the tunnel and notice Mobius, Nameless and Richard...they cry out and start moving forward...the archers behind them reloading their crossbows (can shoot again in R6)
ooc: please declare actions for round 5. Please note: you can engage the orcs in round 5 if you want, otherwise they will engage you in round 6. (after a volley of bolts no doubt) Auris can drop down on them on round 5 if he wants, since he was at the front. Also note that the front line can contain a maximum of 3 combatants at the same time due to space constraints
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 24, 2013, 07:28:53 AM
Richard engages the Orcs.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 24, 2013, 04:50:22 PM
Duror


Will hold his position in the back and wait for the orcs to advance.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 24, 2013, 07:26:07 PM
Mobius
Let's fly a mystic bolt.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 25, 2013, 12:55:15 AM
Richard engages the Orcs.

Nameless joins Richard in engaging - 50% parry to start.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 26, 2013, 12:09:28 AM
Auris, R3

Auris drops himself on the rightmost orc of the three below him, smashing him with his gauntlet on the way down.

OOC: tell me if I can strike one orc per round, or several (which wouldn't be unlogical, due to the space constraints, I might hit two in one sweep IMHO ^^)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 28, 2013, 10:18:02 AM
Round 3:


The orcs move forward and suddenly Auris comes dropping from the ceiling. He smacks one of the guards in his fall, the guard screams as his soul is ripped from his skull and he dies.
Richard uses that opportunity to rush forward, he slashes the second orc and severs his leg. the orcs drops and screams as he bleeds out
Nameless then enters the fray and attacks. He slashes the orc...who in return is so confused by all this he actually manages to stab himself...he's still standing though.


The orcs with crossbows take aim and will shoot on the second round


ooc: please decalre actions and make rolls for round 4 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 28, 2013, 11:06:55 AM
Auris, tunnel, R6 (OOC: the previous one was actually number 5, not 3, nerf typos, as I made the mistake first ).

Auris dashes forward and hits the nearest crossbow-wielding orc (or, if there's a complete line of orcs in front of those still, he chooses among the centre and right one the biggest orc that's still blocking his way).

He bellows: "your souls are mine!!" and pushes as far as possible to the end of the orc group, determined to make sure none get away this time.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 28, 2013, 12:25:43 PM
Round 3:
...
Nameless then enters the fray and attacks. He slashes the orc...who in return is so confused by all this he actually manages to stab himself...he's still standing though.
...
ooc: please decalre actions and make rolls for round 4 

Nameless will continue to engage that Orc, using him for cover vs. the crossbowmen.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 28, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Richard tries to get at one of the crossbowmen; if not possible, he enters in combat with another of the Uruks.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 28, 2013, 05:38:39 PM
Duror

Will continue to stay invisible and prepare to engage any orcs in case they break through the front line.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on April 29, 2013, 08:25:34 PM
Mobius
 
Targets one of the crossbow wielding orcs and lets fly mystical energies.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 08, 2013, 05:08:10 PM
Round 6 resolution (at last):The orcs behind the archers rush forward to take their places.
ooc: please declare actions for round 7, roll initiative and attack rolls
 
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 08, 2013, 06:21:58 PM
Auris, R7

Auris, unaware of what goes on behind him, already had his eyes on the following orc. He again wields his gauntlet, as furiously and as fast as he can.


OOC: I've killed 2, so there should be 10 more orcs in total (including trackers), not all of them crossbow-orcs according to earlier posts. 2 orcs were hurt in R5 by Richard and Nameless, 1 additional one killed and one wounded (but retreating) in R6 (Auris didn't see this), so out of the 6 remaining unwounded orcs, I choose the nearest (in front of my current position, I'm going ever forwards) that's using a crossbow. How many of those remain?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 09, 2013, 12:13:54 AM
...
  • Nameless exchanges blows with the orc, but neither is able to hit the other
The orcs behind the archers rush forward to take their places.
ooc: please declare actions for round 7, roll initiative and attack rolls

Nameless will continue to engage this Orc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 09, 2013, 01:10:07 AM
Duror


Will engage the nearest orc, if able to advance. He will attack with haste.


Initiative
Rolled 2d10+8 : 1, 9 + 8, total 18
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 09, 2013, 01:10:59 AM
Duror

Attack rolls (x2) with hammer

Rolled 1d100+65 : 4 + 65, total 69
Rolled 1d100+65 : 8 + 65, total 73

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 09, 2013, 07:23:43 PM
Mobius
Selects another crossbow wielding target.  If no options exist he'll retarget his previous victim.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 09, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
Wary of the crossbowmen, Richard tries to close on them with a melee attack.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 16, 2013, 04:26:26 PM
Round 7 resolution:ooc: please declare actions for round 8 and roll appropriate initiative and attack rolls in your personal thread
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 16, 2013, 05:15:22 PM
Auris, R8

While he didn't count on a swordsman parrying, Auris will not let go. He tries again to obliterate the crossbow-orc, but should the sword-orc - he refuses to consider orcs 'men', even in description - is in the way again, though luck for him....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 16, 2013, 07:52:00 PM
Mobius
 
Second verse same as the first...  Target crossbow wielding scum.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 17, 2013, 01:36:15 PM
Duror


Will continue to attack the swordsmen at Haste with his hammer


Rolled 1d100+65 : 38 + 65, total 103
Rolled 1d100+65 : 51 + 65, total 116
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 17, 2013, 08:17:17 PM
Nameless will continue to engage his opponent ... full OB, rely on QU and a shield (if he found one) for cover.


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 27, 2013, 11:45:02 AM
Round 8 resolutionooc: please declare actions for round 9 and roll appropriate rolls
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 29, 2013, 08:17:56 PM
Duror


"I don't think we can pursue them through the flames. Is this a good time for us to find a way out of here before reinforcements arrive?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on May 30, 2013, 07:15:06 PM
Mobius
 
Takes a parting shot on the fleeing slave master and lets one last mystic bolt fly.
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 31, 2013, 06:59:34 PM
Auris, R9, before the firewall

Auris doesn't like the looks of that firewall, but it does drive one point home: he doesn't have any ranged abilities. While he would have preferred his trusted sling, he makes do with what's on offer: the crossbows of the dead orcs.

Auris takes the crossbow that loooks to be in the best shape, and gathers as many arrows as he can.

Seeing that the firewall is still there, he says: "the exit is through there; if no-one can stand the heat, I'm willing to try on that armor and take my chances. I know a thing or two about attuning by now."


OOC: I assume the orcs were carrying those arrows in some sort of pouch, which Auris will take from a corpse. I also assume that if i have to attune, that's still possible in the same round.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 01, 2013, 03:52:37 AM
Auris, R9, before the firewall

Seeing that the firewall is still there, he says: "the exit is through there; if no-one can stand the heat, I'm willing to try on that armor and take my chances. I know a thing or two about attuning by now."

Nameless asks, "Auris - can you just put a hand on my shoulder and get the armor to turn on? Then I'd gladly jump through and continue the pursuit or even see if I can block the fire so the rest of you can climb over ... "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 01, 2013, 07:02:47 AM
Auris, R9

"But of course, Nameless. I'll help in any way I can, though we'll still need a bit of luck."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 02, 2013, 01:42:27 PM
Mobius' mystic bolt hits the orc leader in the back...he spins around by the impact, the supported by the slave trackers runs onwards around the corner
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 02, 2013, 02:45:26 PM

** If Nameless can use one ...

He scrambles for one (if there was more that one) of the discarded crossbows and starts loading as well.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 05, 2013, 08:32:59 AM
Auris and nameless start packing their crissbows and bolts and loading them...the fiery wall keeps burning. Looks like you will need to have some patience.

From behind though you hear some orc shouts in the distance...looks some orcs are coming up from the rear...could be the ones that passed you earlier in their chase of duror
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 05, 2013, 12:14:45 PM
Auris, R10, waiting for the firewall

"Ah yes, we also had those morons trapped behind us. Guess we made too much noise, or perhaps they discovered our earlier handiwork. Duror, would you mind taking those orc heads we severed earlier and lay them a bit to our back, around a corner, please? You have a talent for remaining unseen. We need to buy a little time, should they head in our direction, so we can get past this inferno."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 05, 2013, 01:01:08 PM
Ooc: or they heard the alarm earlier echoing through the tunnel
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 05, 2013, 10:20:40 PM

Nameless asks, while loading, "Does anyone know how long this spell might last? Can it be countered?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 11, 2013, 02:02:11 PM
Duror slips on his ring  and will scout out the oncoming orcs.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 11, 2013, 07:58:20 PM
Mobius
 
Shakes his head, "How long it lasts was up to the mage casting this spell.  Could be gone before I finish speaking or could be a great number of minutes.  Can't be countered, only dispelled.  And before you ask, no I can't dispell it."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 12, 2013, 06:43:20 AM
Even before Mobius finishes his sentence, the fiery wall collapses on itself and vanishes
(ooc: in game terms, it lasted 6 rounds)
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 12, 2013, 01:47:54 PM
Duror

Noticing the wall come down, stops pursuing the orcs and returns to the group, taking off his ring.

"Now what?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 12, 2013, 01:56:32 PM
Auris

"Onwards!" He points in the direction of the now-gone firewall. "If anything, the orc would not have fled that way if there wouldn't have been a way out in that direction."

Auris grabs his newly-acquired crossbow and quiver, and begins to move. He mumbles something about daylight and cursed tunnels. After four steps, he halts, turns and asks, to no-one in particular, "Or do walk easier if there are only dead orcs behind you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 12, 2013, 07:26:10 PM
Mobius
 
"Well, there you go."  he says as the flames suddenly disperse.  "Maybe a jog is better than walking or tunning?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 12, 2013, 11:15:18 PM
Nameless stands confused and points in one direction, "Didn't we just kill those Orcs?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 13, 2013, 06:06:57 AM
Auris

"We skipped a small group earlier."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 13, 2013, 02:27:18 PM
You can hear orc grunts in the distance and people running towards you from behind
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 13, 2013, 02:39:52 PM
Duror

"We stay and fight or run and fight. Do we engage these orcs or proceed up the tunnel? "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 13, 2013, 07:12:37 PM
Mobius
 
"Might be better to clear out the group approaching.  Then we don't have to worry as much about being caught inbetween two groups at once."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 16, 2013, 01:34:03 PM

Nameless nods and says, "I'll take the one further to the left," and points his crossbow thusly.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 16, 2013, 05:33:00 PM
Auris

"Then I'll try my luck on the rightmost one".  He starts loading an arrow and points his crossbow. And keeps is toes crosed - in lieu of fingers - as he's not at all sure he can operate the crossbow.

OOC: advise if you also want me to roll on loading (as crossbows are a 2-round attack, I would find a roll for each stage logical).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 17, 2013, 07:59:57 PM
Mobius
Preps another bolt and will take one not already accounted for.  If none exist he'll wait to see which is the healthiest remaining orc and attack that one.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 18, 2013, 06:36:20 AM
R0:
10 orcs come into view. 6 are pick wielding orc miners, 3 are overseers with whips and short swords and there is one officer. They come running towards you
ooc: weird, an earlier version of this post disappeared?!? In any case, please declare actions and roll appropriate rolls in your personal threads
@Hayek: no need to roll for loading. You'll get a penalty for trying to shoot sooner and of course loading is quite hard if attacked  :yes:
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 18, 2013, 09:08:03 AM
ooc: how far away are they still? If I cannot get  a shot off before they arrive, I'll use the gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 18, 2013, 11:06:02 AM
ooc: 1 shot is possible
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 18, 2013, 11:09:33 AM
Duror will attack the nearest orc in Haste.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 18, 2013, 05:49:06 PM
Auris takes aim as agreed, and fires his crossbow.

After the arrow is gone, he changes to his gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 18, 2013, 07:19:40 PM
Mobius
Aims at the officer and will retreat to continue cover fire of orcs not currently engaged in melee combat.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 18, 2013, 08:15:36 PM
Richard attacks the nearest Ork.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 18, 2013, 09:44:28 PM

Nameless shoots at the leftmost Orc.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 19, 2013, 10:12:12 AM
R0 resolution:


NB: please note that melee wasn't possible yet. The crossbowmen shot the oncoming orcs at point blank


- Mobius shoots a mystical bolt at the officer: he is hit in the heart, his chest lights up briefly, he's stunned but otherwise ok (16 hits)
- Old man shoots at one of the orc miners, he hits him in the side (it looks mortal)...the orc's eyes widen, he staggers and falls back (31 hits and bleeding), but stays standing
- Hayek shoots at one of the orc miners, the orc is shot in the lung. The orc starts to gurgle as he stops running, but also keeps standing (29 hits and bleeding)


The other orcs pass the two hit and form a new line, they will be in melee range next round


ooc: please roll initiative, declare what you will do. If you attack, please declare the amount you will parry, not doing so I will asume you attack all out. And roll appropriate rolls
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 19, 2013, 08:00:02 PM
Mobius
Casts boost quickness and takes out the sceptre to engage in the front line.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 19, 2013, 10:25:37 PM

Nameless

Hefts the crossbow in his left like a shield and draws his sword with the right. (Full parry until he gets settled and judges his foe.)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 21, 2013, 10:25:59 AM
Auris, R1

Auris switches to his gauntlet, and prepares to swing it at the closest orc.
At the same time he feels an enormous sneeze coming up....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 22, 2013, 12:16:56 PM
R1 resolution:


The poor orc miners are no match for you, that is except the one fighting Auris


- Auris tries to use his gauntlet again, but the miner has the initiative, he hits im square in the neck with his pickaxe, Auris doges a fatal blow, but still manages to get a messy wound (21hts, stunned 2 rounds, -10, bleeding 2/r)
- Duror rushes forward and double attacks his opponent, he doesn't know where to focus and dies by his sword
- Nameless is able to parry the oncoming miner, an ripostes with a cut to the arm (18 hits) the miner is reeling
- Richard has no problem with his opponent, the orc is no match for his mighty sword and the hapless orc falls dead immediately
- Mobius can be seen to concentrate on a spell, but nothing happens


There are now 4 miners left...two of which are still reeling from the crossbow bolt the received, two others are engaged with Auris and Nameless. The officer and overseer are effectively blocked by the miners


The battle seems to be over rather quickly, suddenly the group hears this sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWWTQ2Vp1qQ) coming from behind them. This startles the orcs...only the overseer and the officer are able to disengage at this point and do so happily


ooc: please declare actions/parrying and roll the dice
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 22, 2013, 03:25:52 PM

Nameless, emboldened, attacks the Orc. (50% OB to Parry)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 22, 2013, 04:22:25 PM
Auris, R2

Auris manages nothing more than to look (and be) stunned. In his eyes one may read a plea for help from those that can heal his wound. If only he hadn't mess up that attack....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on June 24, 2013, 07:43:00 PM
Mobius
Manuevers behind Auris to attempt a healing in the midst of battle, "Anyone else need healing?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 01, 2013, 03:42:49 PM
The Stone-heart selects an Orc and attacks (50% parry).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 01, 2013, 03:56:48 PM
Duror


Having killed his opponent, Duror disengages from combat and turns to face the sound. He also activates the ring's invisibility.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 04, 2013, 08:02:17 AM
Round 2 resolution:There is now only one orc miner left (the one hammering Auris). The rest is dead, unconscious or fleeing.
Duror turns around to see what is causing that horrific noise. He's expecting the worst and its not far off. He sees a large cave troll, which is crawling in the tunnel. He has a large horn on the front of his head (kind of resembling a rhino). His size is so big, he almost takes all the room in the tunnel...(ooc: good luck dodging this one  :mellow: ) he roars again and then charges forward
ooc: the troll will reach the group next round...he will impale attack the first opponent he reaches (Mobius) and trample attack everyone (so Mobius is attacked twice!). No parrying possible (except against the impalement, but then you will receive a trample nonetheless), you can try to dodge between his arms and legs, but will be very difficult. You need to either kill him in his tracks, dodge, or run like the wind. Please declare actions and roll appropriately
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 04, 2013, 11:15:51 AM
Duror


Runs like the wind away from the Troll.  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 04, 2013, 03:25:05 PM
Duror


Runs like the wind away from the Troll.  :lol:

Seconded! Nameless, trying not to slip in the blood, follows Duror...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 04, 2013, 06:35:55 PM
Richard will do the same. He's got no armour to withstand a Troll.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 04, 2013, 09:20:01 PM
Auris, R3

Auris would much rather have killed the troll where it stood, or blocked the corridor, but as he sees 3 people making a run for it, he sees that won't be in the cards. He joins them, covered in orc-blood and still damaged from the fight. His only hope is that if he falls, he'll survive by playing dead 9and whacking the troll with the gauntlet), rather than being dead.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 05, 2013, 08:03:10 PM
Mobius, R3
Picks 'em up and puts 'em down, quickly!  Hopefull we come to some side tunnels and try to nail this guy from multiple sides.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 09, 2013, 01:24:40 PM
Ooc: Auris is still engaged in combat and as such cant join in the run

Also Duror is invisible, so no-one knows what he is doing
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 09, 2013, 03:08:43 PM
Auris, R3

Seeing the orc that was hammering him does relent, and therefore doesn't allow him to run, Auris decises to risk all and whack him with the gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 14, 2013, 07:13:29 AM
Round 3 resolution


ooc: please declare actions for round 4
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 14, 2013, 12:57:46 PM

Nameless,

"Huf ... wheeze ... " glance over shoulder, " think ... puff ... Auris can ... pant ... down that Troll? puff ... puff."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 14, 2013, 07:22:28 PM
Duror, the Invisible Dwarf

... will continue to run with the rest of the party, keeping an eye open for the others so he doesn't get lost.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 15, 2013, 03:40:35 PM
Auris, R4, near the troll

Auris sees he's on his own, and unlikely to be able to stay ahead of the troll anyway. "I'll be damned if I die running away!" Not that Auris hasn't done his fair share of running away from peril - quite a bit more than his fair share, actually - but the indignity of being impaled by a troll without doing something is too much to bear.

Auris presses himself to the wall, turning the still orc corpse as a shield between him and the troll using one hand, and braces for impact, while trying to smash the troll with the gauntlet in the other as the troll crashes in.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 15, 2013, 08:10:37 PM
Round 4 - part 1 (slow-motion)


Auris manages to pull the corps in front of him and get his back against the wall...the troll lowers his head and spears the dead orc sideways...if he wasn't dead, he sure is now...the troll then smashes his shoulder in the direction of Auris...


ooc: @ Auris, please declare and roll what you will do
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 15, 2013, 08:30:11 PM
Auris, R4, part 2

Auris begins to believe in divine intervention by now, and hopes that it will continue just a little while longer. He lashes out with his gauntlet, hoping to kill the troll in one desparte effort - 'just a small scratch in the shoulder is enough....'.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 17, 2013, 07:53:43 PM
Round 4 - part 2 (still slow motion)


Auris ducks behind the dead orc in the hope of dodging the blow...it dampens an otherwise lethal crush...Auris walks away with a broken shoulder (and gets 3 more rounds of stun)...the pain prevents him from landing a blow on the troll, he is lucky to be alive...the troll charges onwards

Duror reaches the fork in the tunnel they encountered earlier...straight forward is where they came from, a sharp right turn is the other option you didn't pick

ooc: please declare actions for round 5
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 17, 2013, 07:55:06 PM
ps: the dead orc is basically mush and collapses to the ground
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2013, 11:46:23 AM
psps: Auris can hear orc scurrying in the distance, probably the orcs accompanying the troll, or its trainers, coming to pick up the mess
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 18, 2013, 02:29:01 PM
Duror


Where is the rest of the group? I don't want to break up the group, but if I'm alone, I'll go the direction I haven't gone yet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2013, 03:07:18 PM
Auris is still at the beginning...laying under a dead orc


The others are roughly 1 round running behind you
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 18, 2013, 09:15:01 PM
Auris, R5

Auris realises that he's in a predicament. He doubts he has any chance running away from a party of orcs in the state he's now, but he gathers he has a bit of time before they are upon him. He stays where he is, as lying under the dead orc may be a good hiding spot. But at the same time he wants to try to reduce his bleeding a bit, so he gives himself just enough room to see if he can patch up his shoulder a bit (bleeding reduction, not even stopping, being his intent) using his healing skill.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 19, 2013, 02:39:28 PM
Duror

Got it. In that case, I'll wait for the others until they get near before deciding which way to go.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 19, 2013, 11:35:49 PM
Nameless,

Continue running til I bump into Duror and say, "Where now?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 20, 2013, 07:27:18 AM
ooc: no time to stop and discuss, there is a raging troll 1 round behind nameless and mobius
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 20, 2013, 05:24:46 PM

Then run past Duror if he stopped. :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 20, 2013, 07:01:54 PM
where do you run to?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 20, 2013, 07:05:25 PM

Nameless has lost track, so unless someone yells otherwise, he will keep taking left turns when available...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 21, 2013, 09:21:48 PM
Left is essentially where you came from
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 25, 2013, 08:15:39 PM
Richard shouts to Nameless while running, "Maybe it's better we fight the Troll before it smashes us to pieces!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 25, 2013, 10:13:04 PM
Richard shouts to Nameless while running, "Maybe it's better we fight the Troll before it smashes us to pieces!"

"Find us enough room to manuever or use missiles then I am with you."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 26, 2013, 12:11:25 PM
Richard turns to a side entrance where he may hide, and attack the Troll from behind.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 26, 2013, 07:43:40 PM
Round 5:


The group running away from the troll:
The troll seeing the group split off, goes for the easiest route (which is straight, or left) and charges after Nameless and Mobius...he passes the tunnel Duror and Richard are in




Auris

(ooc: please declare actions for round 6)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 26, 2013, 08:09:57 PM
Richard goes after the Troll as silently as possible and tries to deliver a backstab.

Rolled 1d100+33 : 17 + 33, total 50
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 26, 2013, 08:19:35 PM
(ooc: the troll is running, so you need to make a run to keep up with him)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 26, 2013, 09:19:55 PM

Does Nameless pass anything he can pull down behind him (like a rack of tools or such) in order to slow the Troll (and perhaps help Richard)?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 26, 2013, 10:53:19 PM
Auris, R6, still under the orc

Auris makes a desperate last attempt to stop his bleeding.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 27, 2013, 05:04:31 AM
@ Nameless...no, unless you take time to pull at a wooden beam, but that's a big gamble
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 27, 2013, 12:41:32 PM
@ Nameless...no, unless you take time to pull at a wooden beam, but that's a big gamble

OK. Look for a branch or side passage smaller than the Troll.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 27, 2013, 01:50:58 PM
Duror will continue down the tunnel to see where it leads before circling back to the others. He will continue to wear his ring.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 27, 2013, 02:03:10 PM
It leads on for quite a while...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 27, 2013, 03:08:57 PM
Duror will go on for a few more feet, then circle back and follow Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 29, 2013, 06:19:21 PM
Mobius
Hastily prepares a cavein, drops to the ground (in a corner of the passage) and hopes the troll tries to avoid the rocks and himself.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on July 29, 2013, 06:21:13 PM
Added senses of sound and and rumbling ground.
 
Rolled 1d100+64 : 84 + 64, total 148
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2013, 07:39:17 AM
Round 6:
@The tunnel where the troll is:@ The tunnel where Duror is:@ Underneath the dead orc:ooc: please declare actions for round 7
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 30, 2013, 03:11:23 PM
Richard backstabs the Troll.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 30, 2013, 03:29:46 PM
Duror, confused, will stop and see what Richard is up to. He will keep his ring on.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2013, 03:49:29 PM
Duror sees that Richard has ran into the other tunnel where the troll also went into...he can see that part of the tunnel seems to have collapsed semi-trapping the troll...richard is attacking the troll from behind
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 30, 2013, 04:16:19 PM
Auris - EDIT: withdrawn.

Auris sees this as a great moment to get away, as he's sure the undead orc will not like the person responsible for his death. He uses the distraction to get out, and runs towards his comrades.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2013, 04:22:17 PM
Ooc: please note there are three other orcs that cam probably outrun you in your current state
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 30, 2013, 04:31:49 PM
OOC: does the undead have a beserker rage or similar? I'd find it logical that once he begins on a fellow orc, he wants to eat it properly :p Also, i reckon that the orcs would be quite startled by having an undead in their midst. (i mean, even in mordor they aren't common....)

last but not least, could I heal myself for a fate point? Getting bored of being invalid :p
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 30, 2013, 09:13:23 PM
Nameless:

Nameless stops and whirls, seeing the Troll's predicament, he laughs and starts to load his crossbow, itching for the chance to fire.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 31, 2013, 07:33:16 AM
Ooc: please note that shooting through the illusion will shatter it
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 31, 2013, 09:46:05 PM
Ooc: please note that shooting through the illusion will shatter it

Noted. Nameless figures Richard will have the Troll's full attention by the time he has loaded the weapon. :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 01, 2013, 01:49:37 PM
OOC: Ok, strike the previous response. instead of running away, we'll go for the creative solution.

Auris, R7

Auris will attempt to dupe the orcs into believing he controls the undead orc. "Eat! Eat your fill of the living, we'll bring a new curse to Mordor worse than they have ever seen before!" Auris hopes the orcs will turn and run for their lives...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 01, 2013, 07:12:53 PM
Mobius, R7
Coordinates his attack with Nameless by preparing a mystic bolt and holds until the troll is "free" of the "landslide".
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 05, 2013, 07:41:21 PM
Ooc: the troll is not actually stuck beneath a land slide...that would have shattered the illusion, instead it believes it cant moce forward, given its size it cant turn in the tunnel so the only option is to walk backwards. If you shoot through the illusion then its shattered
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 05, 2013, 09:31:49 PM
Ooc: the troll is not actually stuck beneath a land slide...that would have shattered the illusion, instead it believes it cant moce forward, given its size it cant turn in the tunnel so the only option is to walk backwards. If you shoot through the illusion then its shattered

If Richard stabs it in the back, can it turn around?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 06, 2013, 06:45:24 AM
No
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 06, 2013, 10:27:36 PM
No

OK. Good for Richard.... Hope he stuns it ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 14, 2013, 08:15:49 PM
Round 7 resolution


@ the troll


- Richard sneaks up on the troll as it is backing away, with an awesome strike he severs one of the massive legs of the beast...a literal fountain of blood spews forth covering Richard from head to toe in troll blood
- the troll jerks forward in a reflex clawing at the rubble it sees but finding none and comes dashing through the illusion


@ Auris


- the orcs run for their lives, except for the hapless Orc that has an Orc zombie chew through his Achilles heel he trips over and the Orc zombie digs its claws in the upper leg of the Orc as it takes another bite of flesh...the Orc screams and kicks in desperation


Ooc: please declare actions for round 8
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 14, 2013, 09:04:15 PM
Auris, R8

Auris, feeling that he's finally going to pass out, makes one last attempt to put some distance between him and the zombie, and get closer to the rest of his team, hoping they'll heal him. "Must ... get ..... help........ soon..........." Then all goes dark.

OOC: you mentioned I'd go unconcious at the end of R8, so there it is. I will try to put as much distance between the chewing zombie and myself, and close in on the party. I'll not use a fate point right now, assuming you do allow me to use it while unconcious should the need arise.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 15, 2013, 12:41:22 AM

Nameless will shoot the troll in the head and then see if he can clamber across it to the other side.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 15, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Richard will try to take another blow at the Troll.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 15, 2013, 07:15:06 PM
Mobius
Casts boost quickness and runs as fast as gnomely possible to Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 15, 2013, 07:18:39 PM
Duror


Will stay invisible and watch to see what Richard does.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 16, 2013, 07:04:19 AM
Ooc: there's a frantically thrashing troll blocking Mobius' route to Auris
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 16, 2013, 07:52:54 PM
ooc: oh dear.  I knew I should have picked up a passing spell.
 
Mobius draws his weapon and hopes that a well placed hit will convince the mountainous mass of flesh that it is actually dead.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 16, 2013, 08:19:35 PM
Round 8 resolution


@ the Orc zombie
- Auris crawls away as much as he can before passing out...he can hear the hapless Orc scream and gurgle as the Orc zombie takes more and more bites out of him


@ the troll
- Richard is not taking any prisoners...the second leg of the troll is cut off too...Richard is now completely red and soaked to the bone in blood...pretty horrific sight
- the troll rears its head in agony only to be shot in the face by nameless, the poor beast gives up on life and dies
- möbius slashes at its head just to be sure, but sure enough the beast is dead
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 16, 2013, 08:26:47 PM
Mobius, R9
Casts his boost quickness and makes for Auris post haste once again.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 16, 2013, 09:27:14 PM
Richard runs to the last place where he saw Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 16, 2013, 09:29:57 PM
Auris, R9

'what a beautiful light.... can i stay here?'

(obviously, I'm going nowhere, just having a near-death experience :p)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 19, 2013, 07:09:05 AM
Round 10



Möbius is the first to arrive at the scene where Auris is...it is quite a gruesome scene. Auris looks like he's been crawling, but is lying unconscious covered in blood, much his own. A little bit further you can see an Orc scrunching on another Orc
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 20, 2013, 07:27:27 PM
Mobius, R10, Auris' bloody mess
 
Casts a Major Healing on Auris to prevent his impending death.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2013, 11:08:47 AM
Auris, R10, Auris' bloody mess

Don't forget..... halflings have.... bloodtype.... K.....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 21, 2013, 11:41:24 AM
Round 10

As Mobius starts healing Auris, the eating Orc, turns its head and sniffs the air...it growls/gurgles and starts crawling towards Mobius...you can see the orc's body is quite crushed, as if the troll ran over it, but its still crawling quite determined
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 21, 2013, 07:49:24 PM
How long until it reaches Mobius?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 21, 2013, 09:56:22 PM
Richard should be arriving; he'll attack the Orc Zombie, if in time.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 26, 2013, 04:39:43 AM
Ooc: it will take it at least a round to get into combat range, so you have time to cast major healing again. Richard please roll attack
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2013, 08:22:21 PM
Round 11


Richard strikes the crawling zombie in the head...it gurgles and lies still


Mobius casts two major healing rolls on Auris, his bleeding stops and he can move his arms and legs normally again


Ooc: dropping out of combat rounds...feel free to discuss and plan on what to do next
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 28, 2013, 09:11:19 PM
Auris

Auris turns his head, shakes a bit, blinks thrice, and says: "Thanks Mobius, excellent timing. I was about to meet my family.... my ancestors" No need to share that something in this foul land killed your family, old chap he thinks suddenly. But even with this realisation that self-control is needed, Auris still looks a bit emotional.

After a few moments he then talks to Richard: "You killed it? Best make sure, I struck it with the dark gauntlet, which should have killed it, the troll mangled it, which should have killed it, and then it still moved. I hate to say it, but it sounds like one of those stories were foes became undead instead of just dead. Also, I used it to frighten off a bunch of orcs that came after the troll. We're definately heading towards an exit, but there will be more foes, I fear."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 28, 2013, 10:05:23 PM
"Let's get going then," says Richard to Auris. "Maybe this tunnel leads to an exit."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on August 29, 2013, 07:05:29 PM
Mobius
 
"Sounds good to me.  Let's get the others and beat feet outa here!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 02, 2013, 02:31:21 PM

Nameless checks to see if there's anything of note on the Troll or other nearby bodies and then prepares to follow everyone.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 02, 2013, 02:38:26 PM
The troll is naked so to speak, so nothing of interest. The orcs carry crude swords and whips.


Ooc: just to be sure, you guys haven't decided on a direction yet
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 02, 2013, 02:44:05 PM

Are the swords "bigger" than the short sword Nameless already has? If yes grab one. He also grabs a whip.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 02, 2013, 03:00:39 PM
Auris takes a sword (or kitchen knife :p) if there are any that match his size. He also takes a whip, bows towardsMobius in gratitude, and starts walking in the direction the troll came from.

OOC: I think we do have decided on a direction in the last 6 posts:p
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 02, 2013, 03:50:40 PM
Te swords are all short swords...ideal for fighting in close quarters such as mining tunnels


Ooc: I beg to differ...Duror for one is hanging out in another tunnel which goes in a different direction
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 02, 2013, 04:05:50 PM
Ooc: I beg to differ...Duror for one is hanging out in another tunnel which goes in a different direction

OOC: Do we even know that? He's invisible to us. I'm not waiting for people when I don't know I have to wait for them...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 05, 2013, 05:45:21 PM
(OOC- I'm lost. I thought Duror was following Richard? Anyway we can get locations in a map?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 05, 2013, 08:22:24 PM
Ooc: don't have a map just now, but its actually quite simple...you were at a fork, everyone chose the right tunnel...there you met the troll...you ran back...Duror decided to take the left tunnel, the others chose to go where you came from. Now everyone except Duror is at the right tunnel again, Duror is alone and invisible at the left tunnel
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 05, 2013, 09:38:13 PM

Nameless says, "Go the other way (left) until we find Duror then?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 06, 2013, 07:20:09 AM
Auris

"Do we even know Duror is there? Now does not seem like a good time to go searching these tunnels. i suggest the one with the loudest voice calls out his name, and tell him to get here. The element of suprise is gone anyway."

OOC: trying to get around the downside of that invisibility; it would be groosly out of character for Auris to consent to a search party (he isn't really big on solidarity if he thinks it will get him killed, and Duror wasn't doing much to help here anyway), and that's what it is, since Duror might be anywhere, even in front of us, or dead.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 06, 2013, 09:40:56 PM

Nameless says, "OK then. Flip a coin, pick a tunnel and leave an arrow in the Troll's blood on the wall ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 09, 2013, 07:59:03 PM
Mobius
 
"Sounds good to me." and digs for a coin.  Finding he has none, shrugs his shoulders, "You pick, then."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 09, 2013, 10:07:36 PM

Nameless smears Troll blood on one side of a sword and flips it on to the body - "Blood side up, we go left."

(1-50 left, 51-100 right)
Rolled 1d100 : 44, total 44


Btw, can Duror hear our discussion?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 09, 2013, 10:07:48 PM

Namelss says, "Left it is then ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 09, 2013, 10:08:14 PM

and grabs the sword back as he departs ... wiping it on the troll.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 10, 2013, 06:56:43 AM
Depends...if you have this discussion at the orc zombie, then no (ie right tunnel)...if you have it at the trolls location, then yes if you talk loudly
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 10, 2013, 10:32:28 AM
While the rest is having this discussion, Auris whispers to Mobius:

"Thanks for the healing, but could you try again? I may be up and about, but not in fighting shape yet; I couldn't take a proper blow right now"

(OOC: in other words: please heal my hitpoints as well ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 10, 2013, 07:40:48 PM
Mobius whispers back, "Sure.  It's gonna cost ya though."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 10, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
Depends...if you have this discussion at the orc zombie, then no (ie right tunnel)...if you have it at the trolls location, then yes if you talk loudly

At the troll yes, loudly no. :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 11, 2013, 07:45:47 AM
The Group reconvenes at the fork in the tunnel...you decide to go in the other tunnel...


Duror has missed the conversation, but is soon rested by the party passing him in the left tunnel where he was hiding...still invisible.


The tunnel runs along for a while, with relatively few mining tunnels to the side. A couple of minutes later, the group hears Orc voices in the distance...they seem of a higher tone than usual and you can swear you're hearing baby cries intermittently
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 11, 2013, 10:33:33 AM
Auris

In a low voice, to the others: "just what we needed, sounds like a orc kindergarten" His tone makes clear he regards this as just what he didn't need.

 "Now I suggest we don't go all sentimental over that filth, even if this is an orc nursery. Orc filth is orc filth, larvae makes fleas. In fact, do you still have that severed head from the first group we dispatched? Might toss that in to scare the young ones, keeps the elders busy while we make for the exit."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 11, 2013, 12:12:36 PM
Duror is going to keep going down the left tunnel, remaining invisible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 11, 2013, 12:33:08 PM
Ooc: are you ahead or trailing the group?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 11, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
Duror will trail the group, and remove his ring, revealing his awesome presence!  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 11, 2013, 09:35:51 PM

Nameless, surprised, shoots Duror dead ... jk :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2013, 07:18:12 AM
Rol the dice  :mellow:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 12, 2013, 08:55:58 AM
OOC: Is that because we lost the severed orc head (http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=7782.msg281890;topicseen#msg281890) and need a new one?  :deathwink:

I'm all for assuming that Duror most resembles an orc, gets me off the hook on that account :p
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2013, 12:49:16 PM
Ooc: I fear people are starting to suffer from tunnel syndrome...I'm trying to get you out...I really am  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 12, 2013, 06:43:01 PM
Auris

Whispers to Mobius "And what is your price then?"

OOC: missed that post earlier, sorry.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 12, 2013, 07:05:27 PM
Mobius
 
Whispers back to Auris, "Half your share of the bounty when we are safely back in civilization."


To everyone at the nursery games, "Don't need the orc head.  I can conjure one up."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 12, 2013, 07:35:19 PM
Auris

"You wouldn't expect me to honor such a deal anyway. At least, you shouldn't." Auris pats Mobius on the shoulder in a friendly way, and speaks of it no more.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 12, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
Does the group continue towards the sound?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 12, 2013, 08:17:56 PM
I am doing just that, yes, and will only stop if I notice the rest turns around.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 12, 2013, 08:21:04 PM
Richard

Me too.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 12, 2013, 09:17:28 PM
Richard

Me too.

Nameless follows them.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2013, 07:30:00 AM
Throwing caution to the wind, the group travels onwards...they walk straight into annorc breeding pit. What they see there is not pretty...if you though male orcs were animalistic brutes, the women are worse...stripped of all signs of civilization (armour, clothing) they look like primate brutes...kept stupid and only used for violent breeding. The women have their motherly instincts though, they quickly grab there spawn and start backing away from the group hissing and growling
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 13, 2013, 07:56:13 AM
Is the breeding pit a dead end, or is there another exit than the one we came in from? If so, I'll point in that direction and move there. Any orc in the way - man, woman, child - gets a taste of the gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2013, 10:34:33 AM
There is another exit straight through the pit on the other side
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 13, 2013, 12:46:47 PM
Duror (who apparently looks like an orc) will nonetheless put on his magical ring and try and make his way to the exit on the other side of the breeding pit.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 13, 2013, 05:45:47 PM
A wave of shocked murmuring goes through the group of Orc females as they see Duror disappear in thin air...the violent hisses and growls to the group te louder
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 13, 2013, 07:57:41 PM
Mobius
 
Begins gathering mystical energy while he puts his hands in his pockets and saunters through the cavern whistling merrily.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 13, 2013, 10:02:29 PM
Richard sheathes his sword making a sign of peace with his hand while he walks through the Orc den.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 14, 2013, 02:53:01 AM
Nameless keeps his sword in his right and crossbow in his left, while following everyone through, hurrying them along.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 14, 2013, 05:33:28 AM
The group makes it through without being attacked...the other sides sees yet another tunnel...again this is a tunnel without mining side tunnels. The tunnel runs on for a while and then you see light at the end of the tunnel...you're not sure though what kind of light it is
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 14, 2013, 08:42:10 AM
Auris halts in his tracks at a point where he can let his eyes adjust, and where he should still be out of sight of anything located at the same spot as the light. (which should be possible unless the last 300m of the tunnel is all ruler-straight).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 14, 2013, 03:30:50 PM

When the group stops, Nameless turns to face the way we came, just in case ...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 14, 2013, 08:47:39 PM
No one is coming from behind...after Auris' eyes have adjusted to the light he sees that the light is a combination of torch light with some dim daylight
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 15, 2013, 10:17:37 AM
Auris

He sees Mobius but not Duror, so he says in a low voice in no particular diection: "Invisible recoinnaisance may come in handy, if you'd please." and "Should the exit be exposed, the illusion of a big cloud of dust might provide cover."

Auris then carefully moves closer, gauntlet at the ready. (and will continue to do so, slowly, untill the first sign of trouble or a report from Duror)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 15, 2013, 05:14:20 PM
Duror, hearing Auris, responds, "Yes, I'll scout the tunnels and will report back with lies ahead." Duror proceeds ahead to recon the tunnel.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 16, 2013, 06:39:28 AM
Duror walks to where the light is
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 16, 2013, 05:54:40 PM
Duror makes his way back to the party and removes his ring, becoming visible. To the group:


"The tunnel leads into an overgrown chasm. There are wooden rope bridges spanning from several of the tunnels on both sides. I think we can reach the top by crossing to the other side then climbing up. I didn't notice any orc activity in the chasm."


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 16, 2013, 06:14:16 PM
Auris

"No more orcs? Sounds good, too good. But its high time we get to the surface, and figure out the shortest route to civilization. Let's go"

Auris walks up to the point he gets a good look at the rope bridge. Het then takes a good look, especially at the places where the ropes are secured, as any trap would likely start with cutting these ropes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 16, 2013, 06:46:49 PM
Duror shrugs and follows Aurius.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 16, 2013, 07:47:57 PM
Mobius
Returns Duror's shrug with a nod and follows along as well.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 16, 2013, 08:36:07 PM
Your all at the opening...you can see the chasm, which seems to narrow towards the top and is overgrown, thereby hiding the Orc activity below...several rope bridges connect mining and other tunnels together...from your current location you can take a rope bridge across and then climb to the top...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 16, 2013, 11:25:20 PM
Nameless

He stops and takes the time to load his crossbow, "One at a time? Quietly? We cover each other?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 17, 2013, 08:10:18 PM
Mobius
 
"I can change each one's appearance to be that of an orc.  Give me a moment to think if we can get this done quickly."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 23, 2013, 07:41:48 PM
Mobius
 
Mumbling as he considers options, "If I.. no.  What about... Hmm....            Nope.  Well?  uh uh."  He speaks up, "Nope.  Gotta do it the hard way.  We could make it look like we're captives.  Go in groups of two.  We'd get across quicker and less chance of spell fizzles."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 25, 2013, 05:41:53 PM
Auris

"Let mr invisible go first, and with the first group a few meters behind behind - that way we'll have three people across straight away. I don't mind being part of the first group."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 25, 2013, 07:12:56 PM
Mobius
 
"The invisibles should go first and we'll follow in one big group escorted by an orc ahead and behind the entire group.  Act like we're captives or they may suspect something is amiss."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 25, 2013, 07:42:40 PM
Möbius is able to create a particularly nasty looking Orc out of thin air
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 25, 2013, 07:51:33 PM
Duror slips on his ring and proceeds before the group.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 25, 2013, 09:24:23 PM
Richard goes along with the first group; he's proficient in mellee combat, so he'll be able to hold the bridge at the other side. But he's acting as a captive while he crosses the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 25, 2013, 10:03:18 PM

Nameless will remain on this side, ready to assist with the crossbow, as required.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Maelstrom on September 26, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Mobius
 
The orc "pokes" Nameless into moving with the rest of the group.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 26, 2013, 09:52:10 PM

** OK, now I'm confused. The first group is invisible folk? So thats Duror and? ... So then Richard is part of the second group which is the "faux" prisoners? So there's an illusion of an Orc and a fake Orc? Who's the fake Orc?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 27, 2013, 06:46:31 AM

** OK, now I'm confused. The first group is invisible folk? So thats Duror and? ... So then Richard is part of the second group which is the "faux" prisoners? So there's an illusion of an Orc and a fake Orc? Who's the fake Orc?

OOC: The was a change of plan, we go as one group, see Maelstrom's post above.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 27, 2013, 08:04:31 PM
Ooc: there's only one Orc illusion. Only Duror is invisible. The plan is to get the whole group across in one go...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 27, 2013, 10:36:39 PM

** OK. Wasn't clear. Thanks.

Nameless "goes" with the plan. (Keeping the crossbow concealed from view, perhaps against the back of whomever is ahead of him.)


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 28, 2013, 08:10:07 PM
As the group moves across the bridge an Orc voice calls out from above...it shouts something in orcish
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 29, 2013, 11:47:06 AM
What's the tone of voice? agressive? challenging/threatening? or merely inquisitive? Afraid? Boastful or joyful?

Even though Auris doesn't speak orcish, he should be able to pick some of that up, if only by virtue of having heard a lot more orcish than he cares for the last day.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 29, 2013, 11:52:31 AM
Challenging/inquisitive
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 29, 2013, 12:48:17 PM

Can we tell if the voice is from above and behind (this side of the bridge) or above and ahead (the other side)? Can we see anything up there?
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 29, 2013, 05:29:21 PM
Above and ahead...the orc yelling is obscured from sight...roll perception if you want to discern where he might be
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 03, 2013, 05:33:27 PM
Where is Duror located? I assume he's crossed the bridge or is close. If so, I can scout ahead to see if there are any orcs ahead or where the orc is calling from.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 03, 2013, 10:14:26 PM
Richard tries to see where the voice of the Orc came from.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 04, 2013, 09:20:37 AM
Ooc: I expect Duror to be ahead, but the rest need to decide whether to respond or not before Duror is able to reach the other side or not. The orc is obscured from sight but calling from above your location not directly ahead
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 05, 2013, 12:05:03 AM
Richard increases his pace to try to get to the other side quickly. He lifts his hand in recognition saying in Orcish, "Everything all right, all right!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 05, 2013, 02:15:59 AM
Nameless

follows Richard quickly, keeping his gear hidden from view

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 05, 2013, 06:41:27 PM
Auris

OOC: this action is conditional, disregard if Richard does indeed speak orcish. (the reason I post this, is that last time we tried this, we had no orcish speaker...so I reckon that we may have an issue there. if not, please disregard, then i simply had to past earlier.)

Auris thinks quickly. he can't make out what the orc wants, but the asusmption that they demand to know where they're going or by what authority they're allowed to pass the bridges seems natural. Luckily he thinks he has an answer that might work on both questions.

Using his best impersonation of an orc (and making effort to look like the words originate from the same spot as the orc illusion), Auris uses the one orcish word that every halfling knows from the stories of old, and says it with brutish conviction "Nazgul". Just the one word.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 05, 2013, 07:40:50 PM
ooc: Richard speaks Orcish?!?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 05, 2013, 11:04:03 PM
Okay, it was a wild guess; I wait for the Orc's reaction to Auris' gamble.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 07, 2013, 08:38:52 PM
An Orc crossbow bolt flies past Auris' ear, nearly hitting him
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 08, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
Duror


Seeing (or hearing) the arrow, the invisible dwarf will pick up the pace to cross the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 08, 2013, 09:26:04 PM

** Btw what is our rough order - Duror (invis), Richard, Nameless, Auris? ... Who am I missing?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 08, 2013, 09:31:13 PM
Mobius
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 08, 2013, 10:04:57 PM
An Orc crossbow bolt flies past Auris' ear, nearly hitting him

Did the bolt go anywhere near Mobius' fauxOrc?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 09, 2013, 10:46:55 AM
No
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 09, 2013, 09:55:43 PM
No

Nameless mutters, "Richard, get moving while it reloads!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 10, 2013, 10:05:42 AM
Auris

Auris curses under his breath, "Those filty sons of intestinal worms! So much for creativity." He then prepares to use his gauntlet, and quickens his pace, in order to run across before the situation gets any worse.'
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 10, 2013, 12:01:03 PM
Another bolt flies by...no one is hurt...but you suddenly see multiple Orc crossbow men above you with crossbows pointing at you


Please declare actions for round 1...for visualization please take appropriate scenes from LOTR - Moria and the Hobbit - the great goblin  :mellow:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 10, 2013, 01:40:08 PM
Duror will run to get to the other side of the bridge.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 10, 2013, 01:57:26 PM
So will Richard. He'll keep his shield up to defend him from the incoming bolts.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 10, 2013, 08:49:38 PM
So will Richard. He'll keep his shield up to defend him from the incoming bolts.

Nameless follows close behind Richard, using him for cover, and fires in the direction of the incoming shooting (taking whatever minuses to keep pace with Richard.)

Rolled 1d100+47 : 48 + 47, total 95

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 11, 2013, 07:58:43 AM
R1: 4 more bolts fly the first one hits Möbius full in the side...the arrow protrudes from his side as he scrambles across the bridge, bleeding. The Orc illusion shatters. The other bolts miss their targets.


Nameless shoots a bolt back, but it doesn't seem to hit any target


Everyone makes it across...there's another tunnel, where you can hide, but the way out of this complex is a rope ladder to the surface. It will make you vulnerable to at least another round of bolts, maybe more depending on how fast you climb/ how fast the orcs reload


Ooc: please declare actions for round two
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 11, 2013, 01:23:53 PM
Duror will remain invisible and climb up the ladder.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 11, 2013, 06:53:12 PM
Richard too, and at a running pace if possible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 11, 2013, 11:00:39 PM
Richard too, and at a running pace if possible.

Nameless slings the crossbow and uses his shield (and Richard) for cover while following up the ladder.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 12, 2013, 10:34:03 AM
Auris doesn't want to be left behind, so takes his chances climbing the ladder as well, trying to grab some cover of Nameless' shield (as a halfling, he wont need much).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 12, 2013, 08:17:41 PM
Möbius groans as the arrow protruding from his side makes climbing a very painful affair
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 12, 2013, 08:21:16 PM
Bolts fly close to the climbers...most of them ricochet harmlessly against the rocks, but one bolt grazes nameless' shoulder (10hits)


The group reaches the overgrowth that hides the Orc activity from the world...the group climbs through it and reaches the surface...not far from the bridge they were ambushed earlier
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 12, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

"Ow!" Nameless grunts ...

Then a big smile, "Sunlight! Finally .... "

Nameless looks about, hoping they are finally out of danger.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 13, 2013, 06:55:11 AM
Sunlight and safety? Not quite...you're in the middle of Mordor with ash gray clouds overhead only letting through snippets of sunlight. Given that you are close to the bridge where you were ambushed earlier from below, you get the idea the chasms which are all around you hide a lot of Orc activity. It's probably wise to get out of here before the night comes
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 13, 2013, 08:19:34 AM
Auris

"Light, but no civilization yet. Let's push on guys."

Auris tries to find the way they came from. if he succeeds, he'll start off in that direction straight away.

OOC: do I need a perception roll for that, or is it a mundane action?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 13, 2013, 02:04:14 PM
Sunlight and safety? Not quite...you're in the middle of Mordor with ash gray clouds overhead only letting through snippets of sunlight. Given that you are close to the bridge where you were ambushed earlier from below, you get the idea the chasms which are all around you hide a lot of Orc activity. It's probably wise to get out of here before the night comes

** Spoilsport - but any thing is better than tunnels. :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 13, 2013, 08:16:28 PM
Nameless and Auris both recognize the bridge in the distance as being the one they were on earlier...there should be a road from there back to the gates of Mordor
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 13, 2013, 08:31:32 PM
"Let's get away from this place as soon as possible !" says Richard. "We'll have to be looking for the Baron's ambushes too, I'm afraid."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 18, 2013, 12:47:31 PM
Nameless,

Stalks toward the bridge, from chunk of cover to cover, in case there are Orcs here on the surface as well.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 18, 2013, 06:41:38 PM
Ooc: do the others let nameless scout ahead, or does the group follow, thereby negating his stalking efforts?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 18, 2013, 06:58:33 PM
Richard

I go with Nameless stalking ahead, while doing a Perception roll to notice any Orcs, or the Baron?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 18, 2013, 09:06:31 PM
Auris

Auris will also covertly approach the bridge, but through a different route (from the other side of the road, if the terrain allows), so that if he or nameless is spotted, the location of the other is not given away, and if there is an orc, one could approach from a different direction for extra suprise.



PS / OOC: for some strange reason, my earlier post evaporated....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 19, 2013, 05:52:06 AM
Assuming Duror is stil invisible and follows the Group, everybody makes it to the bridge...you van still see the corpses from the battle you had here. On closer inspection it looks like a large animal has been gorging on them since then

Other than the dead orcs, no Orc activity is visible, but you know there are caves below that hide Orc activity
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 19, 2013, 01:23:31 PM

Nameless whispers to the others, "What's the plan - cross the bridge and get out of this cursed place?"

** If we stay low and to the center of the bridge, will that minimize the chance that Orcs below will see us?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 19, 2013, 02:05:39 PM
"Looks like a good plan," says Richard in a low tone.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 19, 2013, 04:43:18 PM
That would certainly help...it would require a stalk and hide roll though
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 19, 2013, 05:14:47 PM
That would certainly help...it would require a stalk and hide roll though

Gladly! Suggest some space between all of us, 10 paces from person to person perhaps, to prevent misstep.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 20, 2013, 07:21:49 PM
The group makes it across the bridge without interruption.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 20, 2013, 07:33:51 PM
Ooc: this is perhaps a good time to say that it will be a three day travel to the gates from here if you continue on this road. You have no rations food/water on you.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2013, 12:08:24 PM
Auris

"Guys, as much as I want to get out of here, it took us three whole days to get to this point from the gates of Mordor. We may last that long, we may not. Food and water would help, but the orcs I've searched didn't have any. I'd rather not eat orcs either. Some kind of beast seems to have feasted on the corpses of our earlier battle, perhaps that crature would be more edible.

Can someone track its traces?"

OOC: will look for tracks myself as well, and will make the appropriate roll tonight.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 21, 2013, 05:02:39 PM
Duror


Removes his ring and returns to visibility.


"Aye- I agree we need to restock before we enter the Black Gates."


OOC- does anyone have a foraging skill?





Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 21, 2013, 05:54:26 PM
Duror's foraging roll:

Rolled 1d100+14 : 65 + 14, total 79
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2013, 07:16:18 PM
Auris

Auriis looks around for food and water, and then suddenly realises that the corpses on the bridge might have some. Sure enough, he smells something when he gets close. He checks all corpses for leftover food and water.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2013, 07:56:02 PM
The dead adventurer still has lembas on him...it appears that whoever ate him is not fond of elvish food. Then again most evil creatures aren't...Auris is able to find two flasks strewn across the bridge...they are half full
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 21, 2013, 11:23:27 PM
Nameless replies, "I have some skill in tracking."

He looks to see where the creature went. And how long ago.


Rolled 1d100+32 : 53 + 32, total 85


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 22, 2013, 06:43:57 AM
You deduce that the creature was here roughly a day ago...give the shifting ash which covers the ground it's very difficult to see tracks...you have no idea where it went
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 22, 2013, 04:51:43 PM
Auris

"Gentlemen, I found ourselves some lembas! Not overly much, but better than nothing. I suggest we all share a bit of it, and make sure our wounds are healed as much as possible" - he eyes Mobius as he says this - "so we have better odds getting out of this hellhole." he then wipes some ash of his eyebrows, muttering 'cursed place'.

He then hands out about half of what he found (not flaunting that he might have more) to each in roughly equal proportions.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 22, 2013, 11:19:43 PM
Nameless,

Bows and thanks Auris. "I have a little skill in healing (Minor Heal - 3ranks) which everyone is welcome to."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 26, 2013, 12:40:07 PM
Duror eats his portion o the Lembas bread.

OOC- How much damage have we sustained? Do we need healing?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 26, 2013, 02:32:21 PM
OOC: I have some unhealed ailments, if memory serves me. I was offered a heal for half my loot a while ago, an offer which I declined :p

 Jaeru undoubtedly has the details (status board mentions only hits, but has Mobius still bleeding, oddly enough.. is that correct?)  ;evil)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 27, 2013, 07:10:38 PM
ooc: the status board should be up to date. Yes, Mobius is bleeding, he was shot on the way up and hasn't come around to healing himself...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 05, 2013, 08:12:24 AM
Möbius


Will take the time and heal everyone and himself
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 10, 2013, 03:48:05 AM
Möbius
Will take the time and heal everyone and himself

Nameless will assist as required.

When healed, he says to all, "Let us make haste out of this blighted place."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 10, 2013, 07:06:05 AM
Do you backtrack the way you came, towards the gates of Mordor, or do you venture in another direction?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 10, 2013, 09:19:21 AM
OOC: refresh my memory as to which route out would be the most direct from our current location. Though Auris would indeed be inclined to retrace our steps, as that would - at worst - mean a hostile guard garrison at the end, rather than potentially infinite amounts of orcs. Not to mention Ungolianth's distant kin in a certain passage out of Mordor in another direction (and I assume the number of ways out is extremely limited, also in our setup).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 10, 2013, 02:49:29 PM
OOC: refresh my memory as to which route out would be the most direct from our current location. Though Auris would indeed be inclined to retrace our steps, as that would - at worst - mean a hostile guard garrison at the end, rather than potentially infinite amounts of orcs. Not to mention Ungolianth's distant kin in a certain passage out of Mordor in another direction (and I assume the number of ways out is extremely limited, also in our setup).

** Aye, how did we get in here in the first place :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 11, 2013, 08:42:15 AM
The way back to the gate is by following the road you are currently standing on...other options mean you get off the road in another direction (Im assuming you will not be heading back to mount doom)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 11, 2013, 08:45:52 PM
Richard

Maybe following the road that leads to the Gates of Mordor is the best way possible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 11, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
Nameless

Frowns, "Perhaps ... but lets parallel the road so we have some cover."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 12, 2013, 07:25:05 AM
Auris

"Good call." And he starts walking. and walking. walking....
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 12, 2013, 08:17:53 AM
Ooc: there is no 'cover' next to the road, we're talking about the plains of gorgoroth where you are on, so apart from the occasional boulders and poisonous bushes, there's not much shrubbery to hide behind
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 12, 2013, 12:56:25 PM
The occasional boulder is a benefit in Auris' mind. As for poisonous bushes, given the trouble Auris had finding one earlier, he is convinced he won't barge into one unplanned.

Auris keeps his eyes, ears and nose well open, attentive of potential dangers in his surroundings, both in terms of terrain and orc ambushes. (OOC: Say so if he needs to roll percepion.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 12, 2013, 05:30:29 PM
Duror follows the group; if onward to the Gates of Mordor, so be it. Dwarfs are small and don't need much cover...  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 13, 2013, 12:53:56 AM
The occasional boulder is a benefit in Auris' mind. As for poisonous bushes, given the trouble Auris had finding one earlier, he is convinced he won't barge into one unplanned.

Nameless agrees - 50-100 feet or yards also gives us a head start to run our butts off if spotted ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 15, 2013, 08:28:07 AM
Te journey back is quite uneventful, except from the hunger and thirst and the fear of being caught in the night by something sinister. After a couple of days you reach the gates of Mordor. In the distance you can see the gigantic gates with the small wooden fort in front on the gap that was left open. On top of the gates you can see small figures walking about. You remember them to be archers.

Ooc: You all have a -5 to all actions due to exhaustion and hunger/thirst.
The guards on the walls can't see you yet as you are covered by the boulders...the moment you come closer, or you step into the open you will be noticed.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 15, 2013, 08:42:41 AM
Auris, in front of the gates

Auris halts, and tries to make sure the group can discuss things while out of sight.

"Gentlemen, my opinion for any better one - damned hunger and thirst! A halfling needs proper food - but I see three options: that infernal baron may have come here before us, and set up that garrison against us, as we know at least one of the officers is in his pay; the garrison may not be hostile, but corrupt enough to try to extort our treasure; and finally the may be the only civilized people for many miles around." He quickly adds "present company excluded, of course."

"Do we want to try to sneak past, fight past or simple try to talk our way past them?"

Auris also looks at the mountains looking for small paths etc that may lead outside without going through the gate. that doesn't have to be invisible; he prefers any fighting in the open over an assault on the fortifications. Despite the powerful artefacts they carry, he's not sure that would be a good idea.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 15, 2013, 02:32:26 PM
Duror

"We can scout the gate and tower.  I have my precious... err... my ring that would help."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 15, 2013, 09:03:03 PM
Auris can't make out any paths...the mountains near the gates are impenetrable, otherwise the gates would be of little use...further out the mountains are too far away too be able to see
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 15, 2013, 09:22:54 PM
Auris

"Ah yes Duror - that would be an excellent idea. Just don't loose any fingers over it." He accompagnies this references to recent history regarding the ultimate 'precious' with a friendly wink.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 19, 2013, 07:46:06 AM
@Duror: It seems the rest of the group is will wait for you to scout ahead. What do you do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 19, 2013, 01:44:37 PM
Duror will put on his ring and scout ahead towards the gate to see if there is any path or way around (or through).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 19, 2013, 01:46:32 PM
Duror's perception roll-


Rolled 1d100+39 : 57 + 39, total 96
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 19, 2013, 02:02:23 PM
Duror arrives unobserved at the opening in de gates where the fortress is built up against. There doesn't appear to be another way through...they did build a wooden staircase up to the top of the massive gates, so the archers can climb up there. But to reach those stairs, you would have to go through the fort as well.

Duror doesn't notice any heightened alertness in the troops, but they are still there guarding the gate opening just as they do any other day
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 24, 2013, 06:17:06 PM
Auris (assuming Duror reports back with the above, if he does something else, ignore this post)

"Well then, at least they aren't forming a reception committee for us. That's good. But I still don't trust them. Duror, would you think it possible to get to the other side, invisible, take your ring off out of sight, and approach them from that direction, and make enquiries about us?" Auris pauzes.  "Or maybe even distract them enough so we can come through?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 24, 2013, 06:46:38 PM

** Could you refresh us with the situation - who are the guards? (I think I joined when you were already in Mordor hence either missed or dont recall this part.)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 25, 2013, 12:37:42 PM
Ooc: it's a small fortress of gondorian soldiers that guard the gap in the gates of Mordor, that was left open after the cataclysm. The gap is wide enough for two people to stand side by side
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 25, 2013, 01:20:44 PM
Q- How many guards does Duror see?

With that information, he returns back to the group and relays what he saw (as per Hayek's post).

Duror, "I could sneak through the gates and try and take out the guards, but that may be risky. We can attempt to deceive the guards- does anyone speak orcish and do we have any orc-armor? Don't we have an illusionist?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 25, 2013, 01:31:02 PM
Auris

"Wouldn't they react far more hostile to an orc trying the breach the gate? I'd rather propose that you go as your normal self, but pose as your brother, pretending to come from the capital, and ask if the guards know what has become of our party. That will tell us what kind of reception we can expect. You may even toss in that you went to the baron's estate first, and that his concerned wive asked to enquire after him too.

If all is well, we can simply present ourselves and ask for provisions on the way home. if not, we can always kill the lot, but I'd rather avoid killing the King's soldiers, even if they are corrupt.

Come to think of it, ask for some provisions for the way back whatever they tell you, I could use some food!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 25, 2013, 01:58:07 PM
OOC- Sorry. I missed the detail that they were Gondorian soldiers. :huh:)

Duror, "Yes, I see your point. They may not welcome us back with open arms, either way. Subterfuge might be our only option. Killing them may make us outlaws. Possibly a distraction to draw them from the gates?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 25, 2013, 03:39:32 PM
A: it is difficult to estimate , but duror estimates 15-20 on the gates with bows and at least another 30 foot soldiers. This fortress is equiped to handle a minor orcish incursion
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 25, 2013, 11:57:44 PM
Ooc: it's a small fortress of gondorian soldiers that guard the gap in the gates of Mordor, that was left open after the cataclysm. The gap is wide enough for two people to stand side by side

** Thanks. And are we Gondorian as well? Or are they pre-disposed against us for what reason?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 26, 2013, 02:31:46 AM
Well your not gondorian a per se, but you would be considered the good guys also...the question others have raised if whether the commander has Ben bought by the baron or not
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 26, 2013, 02:56:46 AM
Well your not gondorian a per se, but you would be considered the good guys also...the question others have raised if whether the commander has Ben bought by the baron or not

Nameless asks those remaining behind, "So we fear a confrontation, more violence and," tapping the armor, "losing these artifacts of greater power to lesser people such as the Baron? Can any of your items help an escape or a way to pass around, over, through or under the game and ridge?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 26, 2013, 07:08:41 AM
Auris

"I can deal out death, perhaps destruction, but I'm pretty sure that i cant get a mountain to crumble. Moreover, it would fall on top of us."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 05, 2013, 11:53:57 PM

Nameless replies, "Well then ... lets see what Duror has to say. Surely he has returned by now?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 07, 2013, 01:32:58 PM
Duror reports back the following:


There doesn't appear to be another way through...they did build a wooden staircase up to the top of the massive gates, so the archers can climb up there. But to reach those stairs, you would have to go through the fort as well. There doesn't seem to be any heightened alertness in the troops, but they are still there guarding the gate opening just as they do any other day

duror estimates that there are 15-20 guards on the gates with bows and at least another 30 foot soldiers. This fortress is equiped to handle a minor orcish incursion
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 07, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
Auris

"I remain convinced that my earlier suggestion is best. Go through while invisible, become visible again out of sight on the other side, report to the gate with the question if they know anything about our whereabouts - so we get an idea how we'd be received - go out of sight again - and with some food for the way back, please! - re-equip the ring, sneak back to us invisible, and then we decide if we're going to ask friendly to be let out, or that we need some sort of deception to get us all through."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 07, 2013, 04:12:12 PM
Nameless

"That sounds good to me. Up to it Duror?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 14, 2013, 06:14:07 PM
Duror disappears in a cloud of water vapor...its up to the rest to find a solution for this predicament until Duror materialises again
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 14, 2013, 07:16:17 PM
Maybe we should approach the guards simply and tell them we're explorers that found nothing and are looking forward to resupply in Gondor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 14, 2013, 08:06:26 PM



** Well, at least we have water ... did the ring fall to the ground?




Nameless agrees, "What's the worst that can happen eh?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 14, 2013, 09:21:26 PM
Ooc: no, this is just a way to deal with absent players and have the game go on
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 14, 2013, 10:39:25 PM
OOC: The notifications aren't working.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 15, 2013, 03:17:37 AM
Duror re-materializes.  :lol:


To Auris, "That plan requires too much back and forth, and my questions may raise a suspicion in the guards. I think the best way is to create a diversion inside the fort to draw off the troops so the rest of the party can sneak past the gate. Before we decide, can the illusionist help with a distraction?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 16, 2013, 08:13:52 AM
The illusionist

"I can create a monster, but I doubt I will be able to fool the whole fort...besides once the first arrow from the bowmen passes through it the illusion is shattered"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 16, 2013, 04:45:17 PM
Nameless


asks Duror, "Could you create the diversion after sneaking through?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 16, 2013, 05:26:58 PM
Duror, "That could work. Maybe with my diversion inside and an illusion outside, we can cause enough confusion that the party can slip through the gate unnoticed."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 16, 2013, 09:04:46 PM
Illusionist

"Tell me what I need to do and I'm game"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 19, 2013, 02:00:28 PM
Duror looks around, "Any ideas? I figure I could start a fire or something inside, depending on what's presented to me, and the illusionist could conjurer up something out here."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 19, 2013, 03:48:16 PM
Nameless asks, "Can you [the illusionist] make an image or source of sound on the far side of the gate? The distraction plus whatever Duror does, may allow us to 'join the crowd' that moves to watch/investigate ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 20, 2013, 12:32:01 PM
Mobius

"I can certainly do that, just tell me what you want"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 20, 2013, 02:13:19 PM



Nameless,


"I would think sounds easier that images? So Orc drums perhaps? Or someone screaming for help?"


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 20, 2013, 02:39:50 PM
Duror


Intrigued, "Could we use the sound of drums to draw them out so we could slip by when the gates are opened? My plan was to draw then inward from the gates, but drawing them outward might be better. What about an illusion of a flying threat, such as a fell beast?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 20, 2013, 02:42:58 PM
Nameless


Pondering, "On the other side of the road, sure. I was thinking far side of road and gate. But near side of gate and over there (points across road) may work as well."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 20, 2013, 08:52:36 PM
Auris

He feels like he needs to try once more to argue reason: "Guys, and what if things fail? Then the soldiers will definately fight us. These aren't orc filth. You can argue whether killing them is distateful" - at this point his eyes should convey that he has been responsible for deaths before, including humans, and didn't really liked it - "but one cannot argue it will go unnoticed."

"If you insist on some diversion, make one that we kill, in front of the fortress, so we look like heros, and then we claim we have an urgent message for the King. Don't give them time to think, commandeer horses straight away - that kind of ruse. If they are hell-bent on fighting us, we can always do that, but let's minimize the chance of that. Getting caught sneaking in while the garrison is distracted looks too much like an attack."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 20, 2013, 08:58:39 PM
Nameless


Offers, "How about we draw straws. Low man walks to the gate and sees what happens ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 24, 2013, 09:42:58 AM
Möbius

"I fear a flying fell beast is beyond my capabilities...given that this is open terrain would Orc drums out of nowhere not be suspicious...in the sense that it would be unbelievable?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 24, 2013, 01:57:56 PM
Nameless


"I was thinking if the drums came from the distance or a place with cover, say a gully or ravine, indicating the Orcs snuck up and now plan an attack?"


He looks about and starts getting the right number of pieces of dry grass or sticks for drawing straws.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 24, 2013, 03:28:04 PM
Möbius

Looks around and says: " I don't see such a place that is large enough to be convincing...maybe when it's dark?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 24, 2013, 03:30:54 PM
Arius

Arius gets impatient. Halflings don't function too well on an empty stomach, and this makes two plans of his that have been consigned to the dustbin.

He waves to Nameless and says "come here with those straws and let me draw one. I'm tired of this. And hungry."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 24, 2013, 04:18:22 PM
Nameless


Also impatient (and who was about to just head on over to the gate) sorts the straws, puts them in his closed hand and holds it out to to Aurius, the ends poking up.


** Jaeru, do you want to pick randomly or have us all dice and see who gets lowest.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 24, 2013, 04:43:45 PM
Auris draws the shortest straw
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 24, 2013, 05:21:01 PM
Shortest....  :angry:


Auris walks toward the gate (appearing to come from the main road, not to give away the location of his companions), at a slow pace, giving the impression he´s in much worse shape than he truely is.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 24, 2013, 06:43:07 PM
Duror, intrigued by the halfling's plan, watches anxiously. He fumbles at his ring, just in case he needs to slip it on...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 25, 2013, 06:16:36 PM
Auris can see one or two of the archers on top of the gates snap to attention, as do the guards at the gates...

As Auris comes near, one of the guards asks: "who goes there and what business had you in the dark lands?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 25, 2013, 09:57:08 PM
Greetings - it is good to see the King's men again!

Bynar of Greatgarden is my name in the civilized world - I've been lured under false pretenses to the dark lands, and now seek a cure for my ailments and food for my stomach. For the sake of the King's benevolence, I beg admittance, food and shelter for the night!

OOC: As always, indicate any rolls I might need.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 26, 2013, 06:12:05 AM
Guard


"What false pretenses were those then? And who lured you here?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 26, 2013, 11:27:52 AM
Baron Gelvas brought us in, hoping to study ancient remains - all we found were ancient curses.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 26, 2013, 04:16:56 PM
Guard

"So where is the rest if your group then? I doubt you wandered the dark lands all by yourself"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 26, 2013, 04:23:00 PM
Behind me, if they still live, which I'm not sure of. These lands are not healthy, I may be the only survivor left.

So for pity's sake, ask your cook for a cup of water and some bread - I'm not far from collapse too.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 26, 2013, 08:20:53 PM
Guard

"How far behind? Did you leave them somewhere?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 26, 2013, 10:22:21 PM
"The man that can save himself should. Maybe they still live, maybe the orcs got them."

Auris keeps walking towards the gate, and enters upon reaching it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 27, 2013, 12:08:56 AM
Nameless


Watches anxiously and if he gets through alright, then he says to Richard, "Our turn. We'll be the similar bedraggled sorts."

 (though Nameless makes sure he hides the new armor under his clothes/cloak if possible with dirt if needed)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 27, 2013, 06:16:14 AM
Guard


The guard stops Auris and says: "Where do you think you're going...you didn't answer my question"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 27, 2013, 11:19:51 AM
"I answered it allright - they couldn't keep up, the last ones a few hours ago. Maybe they're close behind, maybe they're dead. I kept on walking. If you want a philosophical discussion whether that means I left them behind or they left me, I'll have that discussion with your commander."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 27, 2013, 11:45:54 AM
Guard

"I will take you to him myself...but first I will need your blades, any conceiled weapons on you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 27, 2013, 11:53:48 AM
"No blades left, nothing in fact - broke my dagger yesterday on an Orc's skull.."

Ooc : Auris is wearing his gauntlet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 27, 2013, 01:28:30 PM
Richard enters after Nameless, concealing his sword under the cloak.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 27, 2013, 04:44:29 PM
Duror places on his ring and while invisible, proceeds to follow Nameless through the gate. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 27, 2013, 04:44:52 PM
Ooc: whoa hold on...are others coming to the gate or not?...I'm assumin the rest is still hiding

Guard

Looks at the gauntlet and says: "At least you still have your fancy gauntlet...come with me, the commander will want to see you...we'll semd out a search party for the others as long as it's still light"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 27, 2013, 04:47:06 PM
OOC- I assume Duror is out of sight of the guards and will only place the ring on his finger if that's the case.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 27, 2013, 04:56:13 PM
Ooc: Duror can do ao unnoticed...does he follow auris, or only if nameless goes?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 27, 2013, 05:00:02 PM
Ooc: whoa hold on...are others coming to the gate or not?...I'm assumin the rest is still hiding

** Still hiding until Nameless sees whether Auris succeeds or not.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 27, 2013, 05:45:10 PM
Duror will follow Aurius if he can enter the gates.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 27, 2013, 07:27:31 PM
Auris follows the guard into the fort...duror is able to follow invisibly
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 27, 2013, 07:37:31 PM



Nameless listens for a count of 100, for screams and fighting, and then nudges Richard, "Our turn," and loops around to join the road a bit back the way we came (out of site of the gate if possible) and then appear as we are, bedraggled/hungry/dirty/blood-caked survivors.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 27, 2013, 07:56:48 PM
Richard follows Nameless and Duror, hiding the sword under his cloak.

OOC: Jaeru, what is the Gondorian law regarding confiscation of weapons and other valuables? Do they have the right to take our weapons?

When Richard reaches the guards he asks about whether other travelers have returned to the fort; if not, he asks directly about the baron.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 27, 2013, 08:20:35 PM
Auris

Upon reaching the inside of the fort, he thanks the senior officer, and says that, if they're still unaware of it, the capital should know there are trolls again employed by the remaining orcs. And of course he asks if there is any chance of a meal.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 27, 2013, 10:12:22 PM
Ooc: they don't have the right to confiscate the weapons, but they are allowed to make you hand them over while you are inside the fortress for security reasons


Inside the fortress:


The commander of the ford welcomes Auris: "I heard there was an excavation party active in the dark lands...too bad to hear that things went awry...I would love to know what you found and what happened and what intelligence you have gathered besides the trolls...we've had some intel about Orc activity , but I would be keen to kow more" He invites Auris to share dinner with him and tells him they will send out a search party for the others


Outside the fortress:


The guard outside greets Nameless and Richard: "good to see you, you must be part of the halfling's group...are there others out there from your group? We're planning a search party." Then to the question of Richard: "I don't know of no Baron, but a man came here a couple of days ago, he had dinner with the commander and left the next day" ... "Please hand over your weapons"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 27, 2013, 10:29:32 PM
Richard hands him the sword.  :huh:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 28, 2013, 01:00:55 AM
Nameless nods and hands him the miscellaneous Orc weapons that he gathered on the trip ...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 28, 2013, 07:53:53 AM
The guard's eyes widen as he grabs the sword made from eog..."uhm I 'd better bring this with us to the commander" he walks the group to the command cabin, where they see Auris sitting at a table while soup is brought in

"Ah more survivors...welcome, welcome...please sit, youmust be starving Is this the rest of the group, or are there others?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 28, 2013, 10:23:40 AM
OOC : Mobius and duror are both not in yet?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 28, 2013, 12:13:07 PM
Ooc: mobius joined the others, duror is invisible
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 28, 2013, 01:18:30 PM
Auris

Auris informs the commander that one is still missing; he had a habit of wandering off on his own, and while that lead to a lucky outcome once, it might have caused him to fall back far, far behind - he commends Nameless, Richard and Mobius for catching up so fast.
(He thinks it won't  hurt to have some soldiers out looking, should there be any fighting afterall.

While enjoying his dinner "yes, a second helping would be much appreciated" he tells in broad strokes what happened, leaving out the baron's treachery, and replacing it by cowardly desertion at the moment the vulcano erupted. He opines that the baron (always referred to as the expedition leader, in case the commander has any lingering deference to the nobility) should have either made his way back days ago, or must have perished at the hands of the orcs. He also doesn't mention any abilities of the artefacts they found, or how many. Instead he offers detailed descriptions of all orcs they encountered, from the taskmasters to the hatchery.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 28, 2013, 03:46:05 PM
Commander

"Wonderful, wonderful, so you have been in a treasure chamber underneath mount doom!...you must show me these wonderful items you found there"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 28, 2013, 03:54:12 PM
Nameless


Mumbles between bites carefully shovelled under his mask, "Only saw lava, traps and orcish mines myself."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 28, 2013, 03:58:32 PM
Auris

"Well, that was at once the highlight and the disappointment of the trip. Your soldier just entered with our prime catch, a sword of eog! For the rest, I landed a gauntlet, but the thing must still have lingering curses on it, it won't come off and doesn't seem to do much of anything. A disappointment indeed. I hope sages in the capital can help with that. The sooner the better, in fact.

Auris eyes his compagnions, as he doesn't know if the others tried to hide any more of the haul.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 28, 2013, 04:01:16 PM
...
Auris eyes his compagnions, as he doesn't know if the others tried to hide any more of the haul.

If Auris is perceptive, he might notice Nameless conceals the suit of armor under his clothes/cloak/dirt/blood etc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 28, 2013, 04:29:53 PM
Auris doesn't mention any other items, but leaves the decidion to reveal them to their owners.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 28, 2013, 10:12:23 PM
Commander


To Auris: "we should let our squadron Mage look at it, perhaps he can get it off for you"


He then shouts to one of the two guards standing at the door of the command cabin: "Fetch me the two artifacts of our guests here...and bring more wine"


Te guard returns shortly with two weapons in his hands, The sword of Richard and the scepter of Möbius. "Sir, here are the two items...we've sent out a search party for the last member of the group"


The commander nods, then his eyes widen as he sees the scepter p close, he scrambles to his feet as he reaches for it then in a surprised voice: "Ancestors be praised, as I live and breathe I'm holding the scepter of Numenor itself! Look at the exquisite craftsmanship I've only read about this in our history books and now to hold it in my hands, is truly amazing...the King himself will want to see this!!!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 29, 2013, 10:10:38 AM
Auris nods at the suggestion of the squadron mage, but takes no further action on that, only resolving in his mind to scream like he's being gutted if someone makes an attempt to remove it gently, snd draw blood with it if they try harsly.

He continues eating, but at the suggestion the King will want to see the scepter, he speaks up again: "My my, we knew it was something but we didn't knew it was that fabled sceptre. We should go to the capital forthwith - sir, could we perhaps borrow a few horses and ponies? There' s light for several hours, we should be on our way to the King!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 29, 2013, 12:24:23 PM
Commander

"No,no...I must insist you be my guests for the night...we'll wait for the search party and tomorrow I'll arrange an escort to Gondor"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 29, 2013, 01:32:28 PM



** Is anyone still missing from our group - or does he mean any part of the others?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 29, 2013, 02:39:27 PM
Ooc: he's referring to Duror but he doen't know Duror is present but invisible, then again you don't know that either for sure
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 29, 2013, 03:32:46 PM
OOC : Auris is willing to make that gamble. Afterall, if Duror wants to get through, he can do so at any time.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 29, 2013, 04:45:10 PM
OOC- Going over the posts, Duror followed Aurius and should be with him, though invisible.


OOC- Right now, are we alone with the Commander or is anyone else present?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 29, 2013, 06:33:07 PM
Ooc: Duror is in the room, the thing is no one can know for sure, since he's invisible. There are two guards in the room and probably more within hearing range
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 30, 2013, 08:14:26 PM
Commander


Not hearing anyone protest, proclaims: "It is settled then, you stay for tonight...now where is that wine! And fetch the Mage, there is no room for cursed items at this table"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 30, 2013, 08:17:12 PM
Nameless


Shrugs, torn between the thought of food and a warm bed versus the spectre of the Baron re-appearing and/or whether the Commander bears ill-will to the group.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 30, 2013, 08:36:12 PM
Duror continues the observe the Commander in order to assist the group or retrieve their "confiscated" items.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 30, 2013, 09:50:48 PM
Auris

After his second and third helpings, Auris supreeses s gentle burp "I would have loved to continue, but I won't say no to a warm bed either! No offense, sir, but I fear that now the pressure of the orcs is gone, I'm barely able to kerp my head on my shoulders. I hope you'll excuse me from further social obligations and have a soldier show me where I can get some sleep."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 30, 2013, 10:56:02 PM
Commander


"Of course, the Mage will help you in the morning...have a good nights rest"


A soldier is called and he escorts Auris to the guest cabin, where there is plain, but comfortable accommodations.


Ooc: for the rest, please indicate what your plans are...continue drinking and eating, retiring, or otherwise
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 30, 2013, 10:59:01 PM
Richard will retire to the sleeping quarters but will feign sleep for about an hour; if nothing strange happens, he'll go to sleep.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 30, 2013, 11:51:32 PM



Nameless would like to stay but figures we need to stick together. If we are all in the same cabin he whispers, "Should we set a watch?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 31, 2013, 10:50:24 AM
Auris

"Yes, they are either very friendly, or planning something very foul. I wouldn't want to wager our lives on it, let's set a watch. Also, a common soldier might still become a common thief. I'll take the first watch.

And did we get all our artefacts back?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 31, 2013, 02:05:52 PM
Nameless


Nods in agreement. "Wake me for last watch."


Nameless will sleep in the armor, counting on the bed to counter it's effects. :)


** Any more DP so we can buy more attunement? :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 31, 2013, 02:19:00 PM
Now with the guards and Commander gone, Duror slips off his ring to reveal himself. "I may have to sleep with the ring on... In the meantime, any thoughts on how we should play this out? It's possible his hospitality is just a ruse..."

OOC- Did the Commander take the artifacts with him? Is the door locked to the chamber?
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 01, 2014, 04:39:38 PM
Ooc: the commander kept the two artifacts, as your other (non concealed) weapons, as it is not allowed to carry weapons while in the fortress. You don't know whether the door is locked, so it probably isn't, but you hear movement outside, so likely the door is guarded
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 01, 2014, 04:42:49 PM
Ooc: DP's will be handed out when you exit the dark lands successfully, till then you're free to try a fate point  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 01, 2014, 04:45:21 PM



** So if we jump out a window and run frantically across the border - that counts? :)
** Btw, Happy New Year everyone.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 01, 2014, 05:12:12 PM
Auris

"Ok, as I see it, we have 2 choices: Duror sneaks in and reclaims our items, then sneak out,  or we wait till the morning and see if/what we get back and accept an escort. I'm fine either way."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 01, 2014, 06:04:19 PM
Nameless


"I just want to escape to the west with all speed. I have no preference otherwise... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 01, 2014, 07:19:37 PM
OOC- Happy New Year!   :wizi:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 01, 2014, 09:01:43 PM
I think Duror should try to sneak into the common hall and hear what the leader is talking about; like that we'd know if he's been bought by the baron or not.

Happy New Year everybody!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 02, 2014, 02:54:45 PM
Auris

Duror, if you want to check out what's going on, that would be great.

Ooc: happy new year indeed ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 02, 2014, 03:25:47 PM
Duror will check the door to see if it's locked.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 02, 2014, 03:46:42 PM
How does he check it?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 02, 2014, 07:11:56 PM
When Duror slips on his ring, Auris - who has the watch - moves to the door, so he can open it without arousing suspicion when there happens to be a guard just outside it. He simply tries the door.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 02, 2014, 07:15:14 PM
Auris is able to open the door...as he steps outside he's greated by two soldiers who ask: "is there anything you want?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 02, 2014, 07:26:20 PM
OOC- where are the guards? Are they on either side of the door or somewhere else?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 02, 2014, 09:08:08 PM
Auris is able to open the door...as he steps outside he's greated by two soldiers who ask: "is there anything you want?"

Auris keeps the guards busy and the door open for a few minutes as he engages in light conversation (and hopes to allow Duror to exit):

"Evening gentlemen! Now I wouldn't want to imply there's something wrong with your hospitality, which is of course as good as the King's, and given that His Majesty pays for it, it undoubtedly is the King's hospitality, and I know that accomodations cannot be the same here on the verge of civilization - in fact, does Mordor even counts as part of the kingdom of Gondor? Since if it doesn't it's not the verge but the very edge of civilization, from beyond which we have thankfully returned, and in no small part due to your - nay, the King's - hopsitality, as we were quite destitute of food and drink, without which even the most hardy and daring adventurer cannot survive, even if he wouldn't be beset by orcs and trolls, as we most certainly were. Yet even taking these quite obvious, and natural, and understandable limitations into account, and in no way wishing to imply we aren't grateful for your kind benevolence, I do wish, in all humility, to make a small request which would very much improve upon our present condition, which as you know has taken quite a beating from having to traverse Mordor, that blasted land, full of foes against which you so courageously stand watch, protecting the righteous and all of civilization by being a barrier greater than the gates of Minas Tirith, and ennobled by your steadfast watch, which I hope you will make even more magnanimous by fulfulling our tiny and most humble request, my dear sirs."

He catches his breath and continues:

"Do you also have some warm water, please?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 03, 2014, 09:10:40 AM
Ooc: the guards are on each side of the door

The soldier reels from the amount of words just spewed over him...then asks:"you want warm water? For tea or a bath?...its a bit late for both don't you think?...I would have to see if the cook is still awake"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 03, 2014, 11:38:03 AM
Duror will try and sneak through the door between the guards using haste. Hopefully Auris can keep the guards occupied.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 03, 2014, 11:49:48 AM
Roll a stalk & hide...don't fumble
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 03, 2014, 12:55:40 PM
Auris

"A bath, please - or better said, for my feet. They have taken quite a beating, I'll sleep better if i can soak them for a bit."

OOC: I'd say I've used enough words for Duror not to need haste to get past :p
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 03, 2014, 01:52:21 PM
The soldier looks not very amused at Auris, them says: I'll have a servant boy fetch you a kettle of water. You can heat it yourself over the fire place"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 03, 2014, 02:47:12 PM
Duror's stalk/ hide roll


Any modifiers for being invisible?


Rolled 1d100-14 : 29 - 14, total 15
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 03, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
Ooc: nope just to see if you fumble :-)

Duror is able to move between Auris and the guard...Auris can feel Duror passing him as he bumps into him
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 03, 2014, 03:03:11 PM
Auris

Acts as if him shifting his weight to his other leg due to the bump is in fact amazement at the soldier's response.

"Thank you very much sir! You're most kind! in fact, it has been since the fall of the...." Auris sees the look on the soldier's face, shuts up, and closes the door again.

Back inside, to the rest, in a low voice:

"Two guards outside. Now I'd say that is one too many for a butler - we're being guarded, perhaps imprisoned."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 03, 2014, 05:50:52 PM
Duror will quietly distance himself from the guards. 

OOC- What directions do I have to choose from? Am I in a hallway or some other structure?  :huh:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 03, 2014, 11:40:06 PM
Duror finds himself outside in the middle of the fortress...he can choose to go to the armory, the barracks, the command cabin, up the gates, through the gates...the prison...choices aplenty :-)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 07, 2014, 12:18:18 PM
Duror will scout out the command cabin.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 07, 2014, 12:39:55 PM
Although Duror is able to move freely through the courtyard, there are soldiers on guard duty walking around...as Duror reaches the command cabin, he is faced with a closed door
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 07, 2014, 12:48:14 PM
What does the cabin look like? Are there any windows or other ways inside?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 07, 2014, 01:25:44 PM
It's a square solid wooden-beam building situated at the back against a wall. The front sports a door and there are two windows on each side, all four have closed wooden shutters. The roof is thatched.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 07, 2014, 04:44:06 PM
hmm... Duror will scout out the armory.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 07, 2014, 06:11:56 PM
Did Auris' water arrive yet?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 08, 2014, 07:50:51 AM
Duror quickly realizes all buildings are closed for the night...although he can walk around freely without anyone noticing, opening a door without a guard seeing it, will be difficult.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 09, 2014, 05:34:03 PM
Frustrated, Duror will climb up the gates to scout out his surroundings.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 10, 2014, 12:59:44 PM
Just as Duror starts climbing the stairs up the gates, he sees a man walking towards the command cabin. It appears to be the squadron mage from what you can tell.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 10, 2014, 01:59:37 PM
Duror will follow the squadron mage.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 10, 2014, 03:54:21 PM
The squadron mage knocks on the cabin door and moments later the commander opens it and invites the mage in. Duror is able to follow.

Inside the commander starts talking to the mage: "Well my friend, I have great news...here have some wine" He pours some wine in two cups and then proceeds to his desk, where he has the sword and the scepter on disply, he picks them up and continues: "I hold here in my hands the keys to our wealth and fame...this is THE scepter of Numenor, compliments of the adventurers that just walked into this fortress. I will need your help...but if you do, I promise you wealth, a title and an artifact of power...our ticked out of this damned place" Duror can see the eyes of the mage widen with greed as the commander tells him this. He nods, and says, "tell me what to do".

The commander continues: "I need you to help me attune to this sword, then tomorrow I need you to help me remove a magical artifact from a Halfling. He claims it is cursed, but I suspect that to be a ruse. Formally I had no grounds to take it from him, but he said himself he wants to get rid of it, so we will "help" him with that tomorrow. We'll then send this merry bunch on their way, keeping the weapons and the 'cursed' item, claiming they will need to go to the crown. Which we'll do, but only with the scepter. I guarantee you, the king will not ask us for any other items we might have confiscated after he receives this item and will reward us with many riches. The best part is, we won't do anything visibly illegal, as this is property of the crown and the king frowns upon treasure hunters anyway. We'll just not tell him the full story."

He pauzes feeling quite pleased with himself

"Remember that baron that passed not long ago? He offered me a bribe for turning in these fellows should they return. Sneaky bastard forgot to tell us they'd return with all these items. I've taken the liberty of sending a messenger out that they will be exiting the gate tomorrow, ready for him to pick up. My suggestion is that we let the Baron deal with our merry band and then we'll have the Baron hanged for murder. That way any loose ends get cleaned up and we have our hands clean...we maybe even end up with some more items" He laughs...and the mage laughs with him
Commander: "So do we have an agreement?" The mage nods, then asks: "Do you expect any resistance from the treasure hunters?" Commander: "No, they look quite beaten, we've taken their weapons and we have the law on our hand, so they'll be facing a fort full of loyal soldiers...but just to be sure, I need you to help me attune to this sword, that way I can use it just in case as insurance..."

He hands it over to the mage for study and picks up a cup of wine
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 10, 2014, 04:14:26 PM
In the cabin where the group is staying, someone opens the door and the group can see a grumpy soldier with a bucket full of water: "Here, hope your feet enjoy themselves" He then mutters under his breath as he turns and closes the door: "You could give boots a try...barefooted freak"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 10, 2014, 05:42:38 PM
Auris

"Thank you, kind sir!"

And, just after the soldier mutters: "May the fungus between your toes grow ever more dense!"

To his comrades: "That's an ancient halfling wish for good health." He rolls his eyes.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 10, 2014, 06:34:08 PM
OOC- What lawfulness and evil. I love it.  :lol:

Duror, overhearing the mage and commander, appreciates the gravity of the situation. Duror will sneak out of the chamber when (or if) the mage leaves. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 10, 2014, 06:41:29 PM
OOC- What lawfulness and evil. I love it.  :lol:

OOC : I'm already thinking about the forms our frontier justice will take. I doubt it will be pretty :p
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 10, 2014, 08:19:59 PM
Ooc: glad you like it


Duror waits for a couple of hours, while the Mage tries to figure out the sword...he first attuned to it himself, then when he realizes its power, Duror can tell he considers a double cross for a moment, but doesn't...then explains to the commander how to attune to it...when the commander finally masters the sword, he exclaims..."it is even better than I expected...I can only imagine how powerful the gauntlet of the Hobbit is...we will be rich my friend...and powerful...perhaps it is the gauntlet of the dark lord himself"


The chatter some more on their plan and what they'll do with their newfound wealth and power, but moreover how they long to be away from this post. In the end the Mage bids him goodnight and returns to his own place, allowing Duror out of the cabin...he finds himself outside again, with the same predicament as before...walking around is easy, entering a building to so much



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 10, 2014, 08:29:06 PM
Duror will follow the Mage...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 13, 2014, 07:52:07 AM
The Mage walks to a smaller officer cabin next to the barracks he enters his cabin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 13, 2014, 04:34:24 PM
OOC- Can Duror see into he cabin? Are there any stables close by?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 13, 2014, 05:17:10 PM
Ooc: Duror can't see into the cabin, unless he follows the Mage, otherwise the opportunity is lost. There are stables across from the barracks
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 13, 2014, 05:57:59 PM
OOC- who has the artifacts? The Mage or the Commander? Are there any guards in the stable?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 13, 2014, 07:34:48 PM
Ooc:


The commander has the artifacts. There are no guards specifically near the stables, but there are guards walking around and guards upon the gate that can see what happens below
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 13, 2014, 07:35:54 PM
Richard feels that he is no longer attuned to the sword, as does möbius regarding the scepter.

Möbius informs the others that he suspects someone has attuned to the scepter
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 13, 2014, 07:58:21 PM
Duror, to himself, "We need to get out of here. A diversion might be out best bet to get the party out of the clink."


Duror will make his way to the stables and will see if there is a fire source close by.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 13, 2014, 09:05:53 PM
Auris

"If they attune to the artefacts, then they are stolen. It's as simple as that. I reckon they will come for the rest of the items they know about as well" - he looks at his gauntlet, then produces a wry smile - "I propose that we give them a taste of these artefacts. We are justified in doing so now. Hopefully Duror can help in getting back the ones we lost. I wonder where he is...."

"Anyway, this is my idea: they proposed the squadron mage should help me get this gauntlet off. With a bit of luck, that is one of the few, maybe even the only one, in the garrison versed in magic. I suggest that if he indeed comes and ignores my warning not to remove it, he gets a small 'accident' when trying to tinker with the gauntlet. It only takes a drop of blood, not much more than an unfortunate movement, and he's gone. That would be one thief less... And then they either back off, or we'll have to fight our way out. But I fear we might have to do that anyway."

OOC: what would be the estimate of the size of the garrison?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 14, 2014, 07:25:25 AM
duror estimates that there are 15-20 guards on the gates with bows and at least another 30 foot soldiers. This fortress is equiped to handle a minor orcish incursion
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 14, 2014, 07:26:40 AM
Duror finds no fire source at the stables (fire and hay don't mix well), but there are torches here and there placed strategically. He can pick on of them up, but guards will see the "floating" torch
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 14, 2014, 01:40:38 PM
OOC- would Duror have a tinder box on him as part of his normal adventuring gear? I would think so...  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 14, 2014, 06:52:00 PM
Ooc: only problem is that this tinderbox together with the rest of your gear was taken by the baron and is now buried under a couple of tons of lava  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 14, 2014, 07:33:59 PM
I forgot about the Baron! How many horses are in the stable?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 14, 2014, 08:02:09 PM
10 horses
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 14, 2014, 08:49:38 PM
I forgot about the Baron!

OOC: best keep him in mind, he's responsible for greater crimes than the loss of your tinderbox  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 15, 2014, 12:38:55 AM



** Strike sparks of ye ole magick ring perhaps? But a spooking-of-horses sounds good as well

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 15, 2014, 01:28:17 PM
Duror will enter the stables and spook the horses, wit the intention of starting a stampede. THEN in the confusion, he'll grab a torch...  ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 15, 2014, 01:56:18 PM
The horses are individually boxed, so he will have to open their doors first and then find a way to spook them collectively. Opening the doors can be done out of sight...he will have to roll to do it quietly though
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 15, 2014, 02:38:41 PM
What skill should I use? Are there any guards in the stable?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 15, 2014, 02:53:22 PM
Not in the stable, but patrolling outside...a stalking & hiding roll, will be sufficient, just to test your skill at timing and doing stuff quietly (and to see if you fumble :-)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 20, 2014, 03:57:32 PM
Duror's stalk and hide roll


Rolled 1d100-14 : 23 - 14, total 9


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 21, 2014, 08:20:24 AM
Duror starts opening up the boxes...helped by his invisibility he comes a long way, but he's unable to do it quietly. Halfway through, he hears one of the guards passing by commenting "I hear something in the stables" and Duror can hear footsteps approaching
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 21, 2014, 02:11:11 PM
Duror will hide in the stall and stay still until the guard passes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 21, 2014, 04:05:09 PM
The guard enters the stables and looks around with a torch in hand...he sees half of the boxes opened and shouts to the other guard: "He, someone opened half of the horse boxes, get some of the guys over here quick!" He starts closing the boxes again, looking around to see if he sees someone hiding
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 21, 2014, 04:07:08 PM
OOC- Does haste work while invisible?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 21, 2014, 04:20:24 PM
yes
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 21, 2014, 04:32:42 PM
Stupid Klutzy dwarf...  :-[

Duror will attempt to escape the barn past the guard while using haste...  Where is the guard and where is Duror? 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 21, 2014, 05:03:37 PM
It doesn't really matter where Duror is...he manages to escape from the barn...as he uses haste, the guard does feel a gust of wind passing him...he turns around violently, grabs his sword and shouts: "Who goes there!" A group of 4 guards come to the stables and inquire what is going on. The first guard repsonds: "Someone has been opening these horse boxes and I felt someone moving...did anyone see anything?"

The other guards answer negatively. "Raise the alarm just to be sure" One of the guards runs away and moments later a bell can be heard. Within minutes, fires are lit everywhere and soldiers start running from the barracks with gear on. The commander and the mage enter the scene near the stable, inquiring what is going on (the commander is carrying Richard's sword, but not the scepter).

ooc: the group in the cabin can hear the commotion from outside
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 21, 2014, 05:46:08 PM
Duror will make his way using haste to the Commander's cabin.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 21, 2014, 08:06:33 PM
Auris

Upon hearing the commotion, Auris tells his compagnions: "well, sounds like he's causing some mayhem. Let's join the fun".

Auris slams open the door, and will go towards the source of the noise, unless challenged/stopped by a guard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 21, 2014, 08:57:38 PM
So will Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 22, 2014, 01:56:03 AM
Nameless


Making sure his armor is covered, follows as well, bringing a chair from the room as an implement of brawling.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 22, 2014, 09:03:18 AM
The two guards outside stop the enthusiastic bursting out

"Apologies gentlemen, we appear to have a security breach, regulations dictate I must ask you to remain in the cabin. We're not under attack so I assure you, you're in no danger"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 22, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
Auris

"We have fought and killed more orcs than all milkteeth of this garrison combined. If you have a security breach, you don't know if you're not under attack. Now, do you wsnt us to do domething useful, or drain troops from where the real danger is? Use your wits man, your life may depend on it."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 22, 2014, 10:38:33 AM
Guard,
"Sir, you are strangers to us...as such regulations dictate that you are confined to quarters until the commander indicates security has been restored. We are not under attack...he points up to the archers on the gates...they'd be shooting fire arrows by now if we were...there is no danger, please go back inside"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 22, 2014, 03:16:42 PM
Auris

"And you are strangers to us as well. Which is why I didn't tell your captain everything, but seeing you have a security breach, I'll have to - right now. Not all dangers from he dark lands are visible and can be targeted by flaming arrows. And you have something terrifying on your hands!!

Take me to your leader! 

Erm, commander."

Auris eyes his compagnions behind him, to see if they would use force if rebuffed.

OOC: I suppose a duping roll is required?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 22, 2014, 04:21:21 PM
Ooc: you suppose correctly :-)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 22, 2014, 06:00:23 PM
The guard


"Sir, I will relay your message to the commander, but for now I need you to go back inside!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 22, 2014, 07:53:31 PM
Auris

While he doesn't like that response, Auris suddenly gets an idea. He decides to play along, hoping that his compagnons will get the hint.

He turns on his heels, and grabs the doorhandle. "Well sir, on your head it will be. We'll defend this cabin, and I hope you will regret it before the morning - that means it won't visit us". He winks to his fellow-adventurers, indicating as clearly as is nonverbally (and non-noticeable to the guards) possible that he has a plan he needs to discuss inside, quickly.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 23, 2014, 12:03:07 AM
Nameless


Chair in hand, withdraws to hear what Auris has to whisper

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 23, 2014, 02:20:04 PM
Modric arrives at the front door of the commander's cabin...it is closed. There is a lot of movement going on, focused primarily on the area outside the stables, so there could be an opportunity fro Duror to enter the cabin unnoticed (will require a S&H roll though)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 23, 2014, 02:34:23 PM
Auris

"OK, we know Duror is out there, somewhere. They speak of a security breach, but not an attack, so it's likely he hasn't gone about unnoticed. Let's use that. I propose we scare the heck out of these superstitious soldiers - they always are superstitious - by suggesting that an invisible wreath, who was guarding the dark lord's treasure, has followed and attacked us ever since. More to the point, we must convince them that the current users of the artefacts are attacked, so that they aren't safe either. If we create enough misery, that way our welcome here will be brief.

I suggest we start by setting fire to this cabin, so we can run out and scream that 'it' is attacking us. Then we surreptilliously add as much damage and mayhem to this garrison as we can, all the while blaming it on that invisible foe. Duror can help with that, as can Mobius' illusions. Giant snails on the foodstores, water turning into blood when they try to drink it, some unexplained injuries and damaged facilities... And the cherry on the pie would be giving the commander or the mage - one or both are thieves of our treasure - a 'kiss' with my gauntlet.

Play along, and we'll be out of here soon. Play it convincingly, and they will beg us to take all artefacts with us again. Heck, it will even be fun.

Now, let's burn this cabin, I'll bet you my next dinner it will help us getting an interview with the commander so he can hear of our 'nemesis'."

Auris gets a look in his eyes that might worry his relatives, as if a small bit of evil has taken root recently. The garrison will not like what he has in mind.

Auris starts assembling burnable material for a nice cozy blaze.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 23, 2014, 10:41:57 PM
Nameless


Shrugs and begins to break up the chair he was holding and tosses the pieces on to the (to be set) bonfire.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 25, 2014, 07:47:54 PM
When there is a decent amount of flammable material to the back of the cabin, Auris spreads it, so it wouldn't look like a purposely built pyre if someone would be stupid enough to come in. He also wants to create a broad front of fire. Ideally it would make the thatched roof catch fire quickly.*

Then he the lights it.

He takes a few minutes to blow into the fire for extra air, then starts fanning the smoke away from the door so the guards don't notice it too soon.

"Hold it guys, stay. We all burst out, but only when there is a big blaze going on. Put your ear to the door, as soon as you hear a guard making a move to come in and investigate, we slam it open over him, and burst out screaming "fire". We run and don't stop till in the center of the fort. And don't hesitate to take some burning wood and start a few more along the way, just don't get caught."

* OOC: I just realised I didn't ask if the cabin we're in has the same materials/thatched roof etc. as the command cabin described earlier. Correct if that assumption (that they are built roughly the same) is grossly mistaken.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 27, 2014, 12:30:12 PM
ooc: cabin is built roughly the same.
 
What does Duror do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 27, 2014, 02:01:45 PM
Duror- Will attempt to enter the cabin. Here goes nothing...


S&H roll
Rolled 1d100-14 : 95 - 14, total 81
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 27, 2014, 02:53:38 PM
He succeeds and hears no voices indicating someone saw anything
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 08:58:11 AM
ooc: What does Duror do inside the cabin?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 08:59:51 AM
In the cabin, it doesn't take long for the walls to catch fire, the fire then quickly moves up to the roof. The smoke is now starting too become unbearable for the people inside...People at the door hear the guards outside say: "Do you smell smoke?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 28, 2014, 09:40:14 AM
Auris

"Steady guys, wait for maximum effect, get your weapons, beersteins, whatever....."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 09:57:25 AM
ooc: what weapons? all were handed over remember?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 28, 2014, 09:59:39 AM
OOC: whatever implements they have - hence 'beersteins' :p The bavarian kind still packs a punch.

(and I didn't keep track of what was held back besides my gauntlet - the armor was, right?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 11:34:15 AM
ooc: yup...and Duror's hammer + ring, but those are on him
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 28, 2014, 11:56:36 AM
Auris

Auris bursts out of the door, slamming it open with force (hopefully against a guard), shouting "Fire! It has come! " and runs straight for the courtyard.

OOC: Obviously I have some element of surpise, but tell me if/what I need to roll.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 12:22:02 PM
Auris successfully passes the two guards...as he runs into the courtyard, he sees the commander and a group of soldiers sweeping the stables, they see him running
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 28, 2014, 01:23:46 PM
OOC: I want to engage the commander in conversation, but I also want to give the other players to spread out and get away from unwanted guard attention.

Can I assume that the rest is abit behind, and that I can signal them, or is there a building that blocks theline of sight of the commander and his party? In that case, I'll go behind it, only to emerfe a little later - alone - and then start talking to the commander (to distract and deceive him, ofc)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 01:55:43 PM
ooc: there is a clear line of sight...with regards to the others, that depends on what they do
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 28, 2014, 02:00:52 PM
OOC- Sorry for the delay...

Duror- while in the cabin, will look for any items that were taken from the party members. Also, are there any sources of fire? Anyone in the cabin?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 28, 2014, 02:08:29 PM
Richard will take 2 pieces of chair to serve as torch and club.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 02:34:28 PM
The commander only had the scepter and the sword, the other items are probably still with the gate guards, or in the armory. Duror looks around, but can't see the scepter out in the open. There is a fireplace.
Please roll perception if you plan on looking for places where he could have hidden the sceptre
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 28, 2014, 05:02:59 PM
Perception roll

Rolled 1d100+39 : 19 + 39, total 58
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 28, 2014, 05:42:42 PM
It could be anywhere...maybe under the bed, or in the cupboard, or in the trunk, or in a drawer in the desk, maybe he has a secret hiding place  ???
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 28, 2014, 05:58:46 PM
Auris

Auris signals those behind him to go in the direction of the armory. He approaches the commander, in a hurry:

Putting as much fear in his expression as he can muster: "Sir! You have no ordinary security breach on your hands! I haven't told you everything; some horrors were left best behind in that cursed black land. But tell me: did you sight an invisible creature? if so, it's a wreath we had dealing with before. If "it" is here......" He makes it look as if he doesn't dare finish the sentence.

he draws a deep breath:

"then the fire we just escaped was just the beginning."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 28, 2014, 07:21:42 PM
Duror to himself, "If any items of the group are in here, I'm sure the Commander will come to rescue them if his cabin burns down..." Duror will compile some flammable material near the fireplace but before setting it off, he plans his escape route. Any windows that I can climb through?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 28, 2014, 11:03:39 PM
Nameless


Takes up the chant, "Fire! Fire!" as he runs behind the others, headed roughly midway between Auris and the Armory.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 29, 2014, 08:15:34 AM
The windows are shuttered, but he can open them from inside
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 29, 2014, 08:52:25 AM
The commander looks Auris straight in the eyes...processes the information for a moment, then pokes Auris in the chest with a finger while angrily saying: "You should have told us!...damn you treasure hunters...if any of my men are hurt it'll be on your heads"

then to the soldiers: "You know the fire-drill...get to work" then to the mage: "Start scanning for magical/invisible creatures, take ten men with you"

then to Auris: "Get your people and help with putting out the fire!"

then he calls 4 soldiers: "you four with me" and he walks off towards his cabin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 29, 2014, 10:50:38 AM
Auris replies, to the back of the commander,

"Putting fires will buy you time, but not victory over this enemy. It relentlessly pursues its target, till it is contained again by magic. Till then it causes death and destruction. It always remains invisible. We succeeded before, we may succeed again."

He raises his voice on the last three sentences, as the commander walks away. He hopes it's loud enough to be heared by Duror as well, where-ever he might be in the garrison.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 29, 2014, 11:36:42 AM
ooc: Duror doesn't hear this

The commander ignores Auris, but the mage approaches him and inquires: "what is the nature of this wraight and how did you contain it last time?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 29, 2014, 12:32:01 PM
Richard follows the commander to his cabin.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 29, 2014, 01:05:06 PM
@ Richard: do you do this conspicuously, or inconspicuously?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 29, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
Duror will light the fire in the commander's cabin and will exit the cabin using Haste.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 29, 2014, 02:11:05 PM
Auris

To the mage "It's a manifestation of the magical essences - though a small part of them, no doubt - of the previous owners of the artefacts we carried with us. Sadly, that includes Sauron himself. One has to contain it again in the artefacts, it is set free if the previous attunement is broken. How the containment is done I'll discuss with your commander, and him alone."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 29, 2014, 07:36:08 PM
@ Richard: do you do this conspicuously, or inconspicuously?

Inconspicuously, as giving a hand to the soldiers, staying in the back.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 30, 2014, 12:06:33 AM
Nameless


Moves to near Auris.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 30, 2014, 08:46:36 AM
OOC: how does the squadron mage respond?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 31, 2014, 02:30:03 PM
Squadron Mage:
Raises an eyebrow at Auris' explanation: "Why are you so intent on discussing this with the commander alone...you heard him just now didn't you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 31, 2014, 02:34:29 PM
Duror exits the commander's cabin successfully. Unfortunately for him, the commander was just approaching his cabin, so they see the shutters opening. The commander draws Richard's sword and casts an iceball (with 100' radius) at Duror's estimated location
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 31, 2014, 02:39:31 PM
Duror takes 30 hits (iceball has a x6 dmg modifier) and his invisibility is shattered (can recast next round). The soldiers run towards him
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 31, 2014, 03:17:59 PM
OOC- How can invisibility be shattered if the ring is a continuous item?
OOC- How far away is the commander/ guards?



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on January 31, 2014, 03:28:04 PM
ooc: it's not continuous, then it would have been "the one ring".  :mellow:  Instead you can cast invisibility once per round. (see  scoreboard for item description)
The commander is roughly 150 feet away (45 meters)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on January 31, 2014, 04:27:13 PM
 :angry: Stupid lesser rings of power...!

OOC- I assume that Duror is not stunned.

Duror, shocked by the ice bolt, swears in Dwarvish and sprints with Haste away from the commander's cabin to avoid the guards towards the party (BMR 7' x 4 plus modification for Haste= x2?)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on January 31, 2014, 04:37:34 PM
OOC: is anyone looking at Auris and the squadron mage (who is detained by Auris'customary long-winding, content-free sentences in reply to his question, which I'll spare you on this occasion :p) instead of to the commander and his icebolt (or the fires that have broken out here and there)?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on January 31, 2014, 10:31:47 PM



** Could we have a map of the courtyard with everyone's relative positions?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 03, 2014, 08:15:05 AM
ooc: Duror is not stunned
ooc2: there are soldiers everywhere...a dying mage will be noticed
ooc3: I will try to make one asap, but it might take a while
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 03, 2014, 10:38:38 AM
ooc: Duror is not stunned
ooc2: there are soldiers everywhere...a dying mage will be noticed
ooc3: I will try to make one asap, but it might take a while

I intend the dying mage to be noted. The question is, will anyone see what caused him to die?  :deathwink:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 03, 2014, 12:52:53 PM
ooc: the answer is yes. First of all, you need to cause damage, so a simple slap will not do. Second, up till now the ripping away of the vicitm's soul has been quite dramatic. You're not going to cover that up. Remember that the previous owner had no need for subtlety when using it...he had a need for inspiring terror in his opponents
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 05, 2014, 05:45:43 PM
Richard runs between the commander and Duror, crying "A demon, a demon!", as if persecuting the said person but pretending to stumble and fails his attack giving Duror time to escape and go invisible again.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 05, 2014, 08:40:21 PM
Auris

To the mage "Well, I reckon you be involved by the commander anyway. Let's say I'm not very trusting by nature. Let me fill you in on the details, but somewhere with fewer eavesdropping possebilities - the wreath has ears too. Your quarters perhaps?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 06, 2014, 07:30:17 AM
ooc: moving into combat rounds for the moment. Everyone please declare actions. I'll try to have a map up this weekend...till then Nameless, Mobius and Auris are between the guest cabin and the stables, Duror and Richard are at the commander's cabin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 07, 2014, 12:19:50 AM
Nameless


Table-leg in hand, warily vs. any*thing* that might appear, follows Auris (holding action)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 07, 2014, 08:35:39 AM
Round 1 resolution:

With Duror running at haste, no-one is able to catch him. The commander tries to fire an icebolt at thim, but luckily for Duror Richard runs before him blocking his view. The commander shouts in frustration: "Get out of the way damn you"

The mage responds to Auris: "We're in the middle of a security breach and a fire break-out and you want to go somewhere and talk in private? What are you trying to pull here?!?...either tell me now, or go help with putting out the fire, unless you want me to have you detained!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 07, 2014, 08:39:35 AM
At the beginning of round 2, Duror is able to become invisible again, as such combat is averted...for now, dropping out of combat rounds again.

The commander grabs Richard by the tunic, with the other 4 soldiers returning to the commander, and angrily says to him: "That 'wraight' looked like a Dwarf to me...I wonder if we check our records, whether I'll discover that a Dwarf accompanied you on your little treasure hunt...perhaps he's your missing colleague...well?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 07, 2014, 02:02:17 PM
Duror, while invisible, will continue to cause havok...

OOC- a map would be good when you can...  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 07, 2014, 11:29:18 PM
Richard to the commander,

"Well, the thing that was pursuing us, was able to change shape at will; either a Doppelganger or a Demon. What about my weapon you're carrying? By Gondorian law, you're not allowed to steal the property that has been entrusted you for a while. Give that sword back to me! I'll catch the Demon in a gasp of time."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 08, 2014, 12:22:22 PM
Auris listens intently to the reaction of the commander to this challenge, and the reaction of the mage and soldiers around.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 10, 2014, 08:28:51 AM
ooc: It will be difficult for Auris to hear what's going on with the commander, besides he needs to answer the mage first...he's in the middle of his own conversation that's going south

The commander is taken aback for a moment by the accusation, he looks at the sword for a split second then fixes his eyes on Richard and sternly says: "You want to argue the finer points of Gondorian law NOW and accuse ME of theft?!? As long as you are in this fort you will not bear arms...THAT's the law! Your sword will be returned if it pleases the crown...I should have you hanged for treason...doppleganger my a#$...you'd better pray we catch this fiend and he proves not to be one of yours"

He addresses his soldiers: "You two confine this man to quarters and see to it his 'friends' are confined too. You two, get the dogs...invisible or not, a Dwarf we can hunt!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 10, 2014, 09:30:10 AM
"Okay, then I want to leave this fort; no need for you to confine me to explain for the security breaches; and my sword and the scepter please."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 10, 2014, 10:19:53 AM
Commander

"You can leave the moment we catch your "doppleganger" and ascertained your innocence"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 10, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
Richard gives him a look like he's an utterly corrupt man, and leaves accompanied by the guards.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 11, 2014, 11:15:20 AM
The mage seeing Auris is distracted at what's happening in the distance, shouts to the three standing near them: "You three, go help with putting out the fires!"


He then briskly walks away towards the commander's cabin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 14, 2014, 01:22:13 AM
Nameless

Whispers quickly to Auris, "What now?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2014, 12:04:29 PM
When the mage crosses Richard with the guards, he inquires: "What are you doing with this man"

Soldier: "We're to confine him to quarters"
Mage: "Are you thick? The guest quarters and jail are on fire! Who gave you that order?"
Soldier: "Uhmm...the commander"
Mage: "He should know better...why did he confine this man?"
Soldier: "Uhm..."
Mage: "Speak up man"
Soldier: "The commander believes the invisible fiend is a dwarf and a friend of the adventurers"
Mage: "What?!?"

He addresses Richard: "Is this true?...why on Middle-Earth would you attack a Gondorian garrison?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 14, 2014, 02:01:45 PM
OOC:  I'll take you up on your offer of attunement. I'm attuned to the ring, but not the hammer I'm carrying. I'll role and if I fail, I'll use a fate point.  :yes:


Attunement (for hammer)


Rolled 1d100+36 : 96 + 36, total 132



Regarding Duror, how I have it he's now invisible and moving with haste away from the commander. Since the structure is made of wood, Duror will find a fire source that's out of the way and set fire to the wood near the jail.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2014, 02:15:28 PM
ooc: lucky bastard...you've attuned successfully...I'll post the item's stat the coming days

Duror has no problem finding a fire source near the jail, since the jail is on fire  :rolleyes:  :lol: however, he will have a hard time torching the wooden wall without anyone noticing, since there are a dozen or so soldiers trying to put out the said fires there
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 14, 2014, 02:45:22 PM
Fortune favors the bold!  :mellow:

Like a cartoon character, Duror halts when he sees the fire and the guards and does an about face (that no one sees). He searches out the Mage.  :wizi: Need to take him out, mother ucker!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 14, 2014, 03:05:18 PM
When the mage crosses Richard with the guards, he inquires: "What are you doing with this man"

Soldier: "We're to confine him to quarters"
Mage: "Are you thick? The guest quarters and jail are on fire! Who gave you that order?"
Soldier: "Uhmm...the commander"
Mage: "He should know better...why did he confine this man?"
Soldier: "Uhm..."
Mage: "Speak up man"
Soldier: "The commander believes the invisible fiend is a dwarf and a friend of the adventurers"
Mage: "What?!?"

He addresses Richard: "Is this true?...why on Middle-Earth would you attack a Gondorian garrison?"

Richard says "Of course we'd not attack Gondor's men; things are that the commander is about to appropriate the treasures for himself, stealing them from ourselves, and the soldiers haven't understood this yet."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 14, 2014, 03:17:42 PM



Nameless nervously fingers the armor under his clothes (and his player ponders a fate point as well, if he has any left) ...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2014, 03:26:40 PM
The mage pales visibly then questions Richard: "I see...what makes you believe this?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 14, 2014, 05:11:28 PM
"He's using the weapons as if he had spent the time to use them, while he was on duty to only guard them; he used the weapon against the Doppelganger or whatever it is, like he had known all its secrets." Richard looks to Auris to do his thing; and at the mage and soldiers he wonders if they're with him.

OOC: I'm roleplaying as if I hadn't realized the Mage was in the plot with the commander.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2014, 07:45:08 PM
The mage hesitates for a moment and he looks at the soldiers, who look back at him questioningly: "Yes, that does seem odd...I will have a talk with the commander"


To the soldiers: "Ok, let him go, there's nowhere to put him and he can't go anywhere...we'll sort this after the fires are under control" To Richard: "I'll look into it...you go help the others with the fires"


ooc: Auris is no longer near the mage, unless he followed him, which would be unwise. Richard is roughly halfway between Auris and the commander
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 14, 2014, 08:54:52 PM
Richard goes looking for Auris and the rest of the party.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2014, 08:58:49 PM
He easily finds them near the stables, still wondering what to do next
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 14, 2014, 09:01:20 PM
Richard's sword appears in his hand (he has regained ownership of the sword and is thus attuned)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 14, 2014, 09:02:25 PM
Richard speaks to the other fellas low, "Shall we put these to the torch as well, and then head to the commander's cabin and request the sceptre? Anyone seen Duror? What is Auris up to?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 15, 2014, 06:36:20 PM
Auris

Auris was shaken by his intent to kill the mage outright, his mind wandered for a bit. A sudden attack of conscience, perhaps. He shrugs it off, decides he has no time for fits of conscience, and returns his thoughts to the task at hand.

"Well, I see you have recovered the sword. In that case, why not do the following: keep the soldiers busy by lighting up this place as well, and confront the commander directly. I doubt he'll be attuned to two artefacts at once... We can then ask his second in command to imprison him. The scepter can act as proof. Then we'll offer to deal with the demon/wreath/dwarf. In the meantime I'll track down that squadron mage again, the dogs hopefully don't know what they should hunt, so the mage is our worry. I'll be ready to dispose of him quietly. Just make sure you yell incriminations loud enough for me to hear if the commander isn't imprisoned. I'll try to put his body in the flames. And the records should go the same way, so try to set a discreet fire to the building hat seems likely to house them."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 16, 2014, 10:09:20 PM
Richard gathers a torch and says, "Anyone care to come with me; the commander has lots of men around him!.." If not he goes straight to the cabin where the sceptre is held.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 17, 2014, 08:44:20 AM
Quote
I doubt he'll be attuned to two artefacts at once...
If Duror can do it, then so can the commander  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 17, 2014, 08:48:30 AM
ooc: gathering a torch, means picking up a torch that is currently acting as a makeshift street light..
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 17, 2014, 10:35:46 PM
Nameless


Will follow Auris, not sure of what approach to take at this time (but confident that freedom is a snap of the fingers away).



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 18, 2014, 12:59:41 PM
ooc: allright, so what's the plan?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 18, 2014, 02:25:31 PM
ooc: allright, so what's the plan?

Richard to confront the commander to make our case once more (not having the sword anymore should have shaken his confidence), at the same time the records should go up in flame, and if the scepter isn't returned, the mage goes to meet his maker so Duror can continue to go around freely.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 18, 2014, 04:45:17 PM
ooc: Ok, but to get it clear: Richard will take one of the 'street lantern' torches and walk to the commander, while carrying his sword. And will proceed to argue with the commander (and the mage who will be there as well). The rest go to the guard captain first to torch his office and then follow the mage to wherever he goes?

Correct?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 18, 2014, 10:26:25 PM
IMO, absolutely correct.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 18, 2014, 11:27:44 PM
OOC: I think I'll follow the group for the time moment; don't want to confront the commander and his soldiers alone.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 19, 2014, 12:47:15 AM
Nameless


Stands in the center of the courtyard completely confused by all the plans and counter-plans ...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 19, 2014, 08:42:32 AM
ooc: what does nameless want to do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 19, 2014, 08:45:41 AM
The group starts to move from the square in front of the stables to the guard captain's quarters...just as they head out a voice behind them inquires: "He you, where are you going and why are you carrying a torch when you should be carrying buckets of water!" when you turn around, you see the guard captain who is apparently organizing the bucket brigade that runs from the well to the jail
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 19, 2014, 11:25:35 AM
Auris

"Dear Captain, unless you let the fires run completely out of control, we still need light to find our way."

And he walks off.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 19, 2014, 03:46:32 PM
Captain
 
"And so do we, so put the torch back where it belongs and grab a bucket"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 19, 2014, 11:34:29 PM



Nameless, watching the action swirl about him, decided to plop where he is ... watching and waiting. Curious to see how all this theater plays out.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 20, 2014, 08:47:54 AM
Captain
 
Seeing Nameless sit down on the ground addresses him: "YOU...get of your arse and go help!"
then to the rest: "There are buckets near the well, come on...get a move on, this fire isn't waiting for you"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 20, 2014, 10:57:41 PM
Nameless


Shrugs - "Help what? Find the ghost? Chase my erstwhile companions this way and that? I, as what I hope is a guest, will do as guests do, wait."


** Full parry/dodge if attacked ...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 21, 2014, 12:26:09 PM
Captain
 
"You people must be thick in the head or something...pick up a bucket why don't you and stand in the bucket line!...now move!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 21, 2014, 03:10:54 PM
OOC- I think Duror was going to continue to cause havoc, and make his way to the Mage..
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 21, 2014, 04:30:15 PM
ooc: yes that is correct, but it is quite important for me to know how...for there's a trade-off between running the risk of being found and the level of mayhem you can cause.
 
Duror is currently near the well and sees a large line of soldiers handing over buckets to quench both the fire at the commander's cabin and at the jail
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 21, 2014, 10:44:30 PM



** Wave, whistle or attract my attention if the Captain needs further distracting :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 24, 2014, 08:22:02 AM
ooc: allright enough sitting around, what are you going to do? And how will you handle the guard captain ordering you to help with the bucket line?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on February 24, 2014, 10:30:34 AM
Auris

"yeah, yeah" Auris grumbles, sets aside his torch - in a place that is not criminally unsafe, but dangerous enough that with a good gust of wind more fires will erupt. In a whisper to those around him: "don't follow me, distract them, then move on to the commander". And loud enough for everyone to hear: "And where are those damned buckets then?" Without waiting for an answer: "Ah, there's one!" - and he disappears into the shadows, as if he's fetching a bucket, but not re-emerging, with or without a bucket, counting on his companions to produce more than enough distraction.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 24, 2014, 10:41:00 AM
Guard captain
 
Seeing Auris run, semi cautiously between the stables (Auris fails his S&H roll miserably), shouts after him: "Don't you run from me, if I catch you, I'll have your hide Halfling scum" to the rest of the group: "Unless you want a good flogging, or worse, too after this is done, I suggest you get moving"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 25, 2014, 12:35:38 AM
Nameless


Laughs and laughs, mimicks wiping a tear from his mask, "Go on, go on and tend to your fires and buckets. I am quite content to rest here for a spell." Nameless rises to a crouch, in case malice turns its ugly face in his direction.



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on February 25, 2014, 06:28:25 PM
Duror will stop seeing the line of soldiers with buckets.

OOC- Where is the Mage? I think we need a quick map so we can figure out where everything is and our locations.  :yes:

P.S. I need the stats for the magical hammer I'm carrying, seeing that I'm not attuned to it and may need those perks pretty soon...  :wizi:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 26, 2014, 08:06:31 AM
ooc: the map is in the ooc thread. Nobody has moved, except for the mage and Richard, the mage is now at the commander's location (i.e. commander's cabin), Richard is at the group's location. Oh yes and Auris is now trying to stalk between the stables, but failing miserably  :lol:
 
The stats of your hammer have been sitting in the status board thread for a while now  :yes: 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 27, 2014, 02:53:15 PM
"Duror, where are you?" Richard asks in the darkness, knowing he's nearby us. What have you heard of the conversation in the commander's cabin?" asks Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 27, 2014, 03:02:17 PM
ooc: Richard, are you calling out to Duror within ears reach of the guard captain?  ???  he is currently shouting at you ordering you to help with the bucket line.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 27, 2014, 06:08:04 PM
No, I go out of reach of the captain to try and find Duror, if feasible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 28, 2014, 05:21:20 AM
ooc: please describe how you intend to get away from the captain
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 28, 2014, 06:07:51 AM
"I think I saw the Doppelganger there!.." Richard says and walks away with an eye to his back should the commander try anything.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 28, 2014, 12:30:55 PM
Guard Captain
 
"Where, wait, what?...Eh where do you think You're going, get your 'arse' back here, before I'll slap you silly!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 28, 2014, 03:47:15 PM
Richard parleys with the party what to do next.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on February 28, 2014, 04:30:51 PM
Mobius whispers to Richard: "Maybe we should play along for a while until there's an opportunity to make ourselves scarce"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on February 28, 2014, 11:23:02 PM
Nameless


Watches with amusement.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 01, 2014, 08:15:32 AM
Richard reflects that the sword came into his hand because someone tried to attune to it; that means the captain intends to steal the items. Richard smiles at the captain, "Why did this sword teleport into my hands, commander?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 01, 2014, 07:56:47 PM
Ooc: please note that the guard captain and the commander are two different people
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 01, 2014, 09:13:35 PM
OOC: Okay, wasn´t aware of that.  So disregard that conversation.

Since the rest of the party stay mute, Richard gives the soldiers a hand and hides the sword among his clothes the best he can.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 02, 2014, 07:48:48 AM
Auris

While he was spotted, Auris continues to make himself scarse (which is why he didn't join in on the conversation), and moves in the direction of the commander's cabin (but again, as much out of sight of the watch commander as possible).

OOC: want me to roll again?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 03, 2014, 08:13:58 AM
Richard and Mobius walk off to get buckets and help in the bucket line. The guard captain decides not to pursue Auris...he'll deal with him later.
 
What does Nameless do?
What does Duror do?
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 03, 2014, 10:22:46 PM
Nameless


Spins in a slow circle attempting to see if he can spot either Auris or Duror to determine whatintheheck they are up to. (PER roll in dice thread) Otherwise gladly ignore the guard captain.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 04, 2014, 03:49:57 AM
Nameless sees Auris disappear behind the stables...he's unable to spot Duror as Duror is invisible


Guard captain turns his attention to nameless: "he you, why are you sitting around, why don't you follow your friends and make yourself useful?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 04, 2014, 01:20:33 PM
Duror was making is way to the Mage. Where did he go?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 04, 2014, 01:30:14 PM
OOC Just checked the map and my stats for Durin's hammer. I'm ready to do some damage... :fight2:


I assume the mage is still located on the map. I'm going to move with haste to confront the Mage.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 04, 2014, 01:37:28 PM
Duror is currently at the well, he can see the mage in the distance from where he was just chased away...that is where the commander is...in front of his burning cabin (NB: Duror doesn't know (yet) that the commander has lost his sword!)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 04, 2014, 01:58:40 PM
OOC- How many rounds would it take me to reach the Mage or the Commander (I assume they are at two locations) at haste?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 04, 2014, 03:31:38 PM
ooc: they are at the same location...we're not in combat rounds, so you can go there whenever you want
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 05, 2014, 12:53:37 AM
Nameless


Smiles at the Guard Captain, "Ssh, I'm hunting Snipes."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 05, 2014, 07:01:40 AM
Auris

Auris tries to make it to the commander's cabin unseen.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 05, 2014, 08:50:42 AM
ooc: @ Auris, please look at the map and tell me how you will try to do this...there is a bucket line in front of the cabin...also it's on fire
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 05, 2014, 09:08:27 AM
Guard Captain
 
To Nameless: "You are what?...get on your feet you worthless piece of scum!" He unsheathes his sword
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 05, 2014, 02:01:30 PM
Duror will make his way towards the Mage and Commander while invisible, but will not attempt to attack them ... yet. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 05, 2014, 02:02:32 PM
OOC- I thought this was appropriate for where we are in the game.... :lol:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8YhCIVJzvhg/UxaHvSwckwI/AAAAAAAABxs/O-TDiolbIfI/w788-h630-no/056255e6-9267-42b6-98d2-ca27fde8c4b7
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 06, 2014, 12:37:51 AM
Nameless


Stands, bouncing on the balls of his feet, hand empty and raised, watching the Captain, innocently saying, "I thought I was a guest here ... Don't you have better things to do that wave that about?"


** Full OB to parry/dodge on top of the armor. If he commands the masses to attack me, teleport 1 mile outside of the front (in the direction opposite of Mordor)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 06, 2014, 12:42:41 AM
Hey  OM, can you teleport me with you?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 06, 2014, 12:50:05 AM



** Unfortunately, no. First question I asked. :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 06, 2014, 07:45:19 AM
Guard Captain
 
"Guest? GUEST?!?...while you are in this fort, you fall under Gondorian military regulations, which means you get to help with putting out this fire, or get to be acquainted with the pointy end of my sword...now stop being a @#$% and get moving!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 06, 2014, 08:05:13 AM
The situation at the commander's cabin has changed dramatically. The group of soldiers that were chasing Duror have scattered to do other things. Duror can see the commander and the mage discussing heavily. The commander's cabin is burning fiercely now  and a second bucket line has formed to try and put out this fire too. Just before Duror comes into hearing range, the mage casts a spell on the commander and he runs into the burning cabin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 10, 2014, 10:14:33 PM
Auris

Upon seeing the bucket lines, he realises he needs a new plan. He sneaks between the armory and stables 2, and halts at the northeren end of stable 2 to see if anyone is looking at the guard captain's house.

If he sees no-one, he'll find some burning wood, and take that, planning to sprint across and light the guard captain's quarter. (next target is the stairs)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 17, 2014, 10:24:37 AM
Ok, so what does everyone do? Situation as I have it is as follows:
 
- Duror is standing near the commander's cabin and sees the commander running into the inferno, while being magically protected
- Richard and Nameless have decided to join the bucket line, so they are walking to the well where buckets are being handed out
- Nameless is still being shouted at and needs to decide to listen or take an attack
- Auris is about to torch the guard captain's quarter
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 17, 2014, 11:26:19 PM
Nameless


Will prepare to dodge any attack that comes his way (Brawling or OB to full parry/DB) while protesting, loudly as a perhaps helpful distraction, that his guest rights are being violated...


"Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 18, 2014, 07:52:33 AM
The guard captain has had enough, he raises his sword and strikes you while shouting "Bloody peasant"

He hits Nameless, but his armor protects him fully...the guard captain has a surprised look on his face and readies his sword again...
 
ooc: unless you have a weapon in your hand, you will not be able to parry a blade...unless you want to lose a hand that is, in that case dodging is your only option
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 19, 2014, 12:28:50 AM
Nameless


Says to him, "Perhaps I am not really here? Another ghost? Don't you have better things to do?"


** I thought I had a chair leg with me from the lumber we broke in the room. If yes, use that to enhance DB w parry. Else use Brawling or Acrobatics (or simply QU) to Dodge however you/HARP do such.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 19, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
Duror

OOC- Is the mage concentrating a spell on the commander? I assume he's near the cabin with the commander.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 19, 2014, 03:27:02 PM
Ooc: the mage has cast some sort of spell of protection on the commander and is now watching the inferno. He's indeed near the cabin
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 19, 2014, 03:29:43 PM
The guard captain attacks nameless again and doesn't manage to harm him

"Damn you masked freak to the infernal pits of morgoth"

Ooc: forgot about the chair...you can use your brawling skill to parry with that item
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 19, 2014, 09:53:52 PM



Nameless smiles and sings a ditty,


"It's Burning, It's Burning, It's Burning for you ... "

** If anyone wants to hit him in the back, Nameless could steer him the opposite direction.


** Nameless would either parry with the chair or use his Acrobatics to dodge, whichever gives higher DB.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 19, 2014, 09:58:30 PM
Ooc: none of the others are near you
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 19, 2014, 10:02:21 PM



** Oh well.... :)  We'll continue to dance til he tires and wanders off, something else happens or the place burns to the ground eh?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 21, 2014, 01:21:27 PM
Auris manages to light the guard captain's cabin...he needs to stand there for a while for the wood to catch fire, which apparently caught the attention of one of the archers on the gates. An arrow whizzes pas Auris' head.
 
Mobius and Richard are each given a spot in the bucket line that runs to the cabin you were and are now passing along buckets back and forth. There is no bucket line formed to the commander's cabin. Given that it is separate from other buildings, you guess it is sacrificed.
 
Duror watches as part of the commander's cabin roof collapses, he can see the mage looking on anxiously to see if the commander makes it out alive...moments later, the commander appears, holding the scepter victoriously
 
The guard captain continues to attack nameless, but nameless is either able to parry with his chair leg, or his armor protects him from otherwise fatal wounds...frustrated the guard captain exclaims: "What evil magic is this that protects you, you must be a demon hiding under that mask"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 21, 2014, 02:58:11 PM
Nameless


If he notices, gladly points out to the Captain that his cabin is now ablaze.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 21, 2014, 07:32:38 PM
Auris

Auris tries to disappear again, and makes his way towards the stairs.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 27, 2014, 10:14:21 PM
Richard continues in the bucket line with Mobius, looking for a breakthrough.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on March 28, 2014, 04:43:07 PM
Duror


OOC- If I use the lighting bolt power with the hammer, will I become visible?


Duror will continue to watch the COmmander to see what he does with the Scepter. 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 30, 2014, 10:20:09 AM
ooc: yes...just with normal invisibility...the moment you attack you become visible
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 30, 2014, 11:30:53 AM
Auris

Hidden behind the stables, Auris now tries to spot the squadron mage.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 31, 2014, 07:10:36 AM
Auris is unable to spot the mage from his current position
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 31, 2014, 07:34:27 AM
Richard: Word travels through the bucket line that the guest quarter's fire is under control. The commander's cabin on the other hand has been lost. The soldiers around you seem to rejoice and relax a little as the pace drops a bit. Then someone from the gate shouts "FIRE AT THE GUARD CAPTAIN'S!" Immediately officers start to shout orders and the bucket line is rerouted to line up towards the guard captain's quarters...the soldiers around Richard groan and some mutter: "What evil magic is doing this?"

Duror: Duror sees the mage and the commander discuss for a moment. Then a group of soldiers is gathered...Duror moves in closer to overhear...they are give the order to find and apprehend Richard for carrying a concealed weapon. If he resists they can use deadly force. A that moment the shout from the gate comes. The mage curses: "My books!" He and the commander rush towards the mage's quarters

Auris: As the shout from the gates comes, Auris hears soldiers rushing to form a new bucket line to stop the fire

Nameless: The guard captain tries to attack Nameless but is unable to hurt him...he becomes increasingly frustrated, then as the shout comes from the gates, he stops, he then shouts at Nameless : "AArghh, I'll deal with you later demon"  and runs off towards his quarters


Actions please!

 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on March 31, 2014, 08:16:15 AM
Auris

Auris sees the commander and the mage come towards his position, and waits in hiding to see if they stick together or not, and if they can be attacked from behind.

OOC: how spread is that fire? I might be running after the mage if he runs in...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 31, 2014, 09:56:59 AM
The fire hasn't spread yet...you didn't have a lot of time to properly set a blaze given the archers on the gate...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 31, 2014, 02:38:15 PM
Richard sees the comander leave the bucket line; he says "I'll help there as well." He stops near Nameless and tries a Hide in Shadows from that position. "Nameless can you make me invisible? Maybe we should exit the fort now?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on March 31, 2014, 02:52:53 PM
@ Richard: The commander is not in the bucket line himself. So you wouldn't see him exit it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on March 31, 2014, 11:08:10 PM
Nameless


Smiles as the Captain runs off. Then a few moments later, he whispers back to Richard, "I am no mage. But I can cover a retreat. Pick a direction and I shall follow."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 01, 2014, 05:50:14 AM
Jaeru, I meant the captain, who left the bucket line.

I leave the bucket line and through the shadows try to make my way to the stairs leading the way out of Mordor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 07:25:08 AM
@ Richard: the captain is also not in the bucket line  :lol:  he is still trying to kill Nameless and failing miserably  :yes:
 
That said, in the commotion of the changing bucket line, you are able to move away from it towards the stairs (which lead up to the gates). The gate of the fortress that leads out of mordor is closed
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 07:25:48 AM
@nameless: things changed, Richard never moved towards you, so you are free to act as you want
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 01, 2014, 08:23:48 AM
Richard

Seeing that the gate is closed I move back to Nameless, moving in the shadows. Are there still archers in the walls or are they helping in the bucket lines?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 08:42:14 AM
There are still archers on the walls. You are able to move to the stables without much fuss
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 01, 2014, 10:39:58 AM
Richard

How many archers? 3-4?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 11:17:03 AM
more like 10-20
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 01, 2014, 12:19:45 PM
Richard

I find a place hidden in the shadows; make a small hole and place the sword there. If I need to I can always teleport it to my hand.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 12:50:03 PM
You succeed, it is not difficult to find such a place near the stables...you find Auris there hiding in the shadows too
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 12:51:39 PM
The commander and the mage have reached the mage's quarters. The fire hasn't reached his quarters yet, so both go in to salvage as much as possible
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 01, 2014, 12:58:49 PM
Duror will continue to follow the Mage and Commander to check out what's happening with his books.  :lol:




To Group- Any way to get out of this place???
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 01:11:40 PM
The mage is scared about losing his magical trinkets and books. Both him and the commander load a big trunk with books, crystals and trinkets.
 
The commander says to the mage: "You need to start scanning for this invisible fiend quickly, before we lose more buildings"
mage: "Yes, yes, but first we need to save this stuff...I'll go to the gates next"
commander: "What do we do with our guests?"
Mage: "I don't know, it was your idea...let's hope the one with the sword is arrested soon, that item is dangerous!...as long as the gates keep closed, no one should be able to get out"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 01, 2014, 02:39:06 PM
Richard goes back to the bucket line, not before he asks the captain, "Why don't you call those archers from the walls that will soon be burning to help us!.."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 01, 2014, 03:31:15 PM
Guard Captain
 
"Those walls are the gates of mordor, solid steel, the construction of which was overseen by the dark lord himself, they endured two wars and the cataclysm...they will not burn"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 01, 2014, 11:52:15 PM
Nameless


If ignored for now, will also attempt to fade into the darkness and then look for the others.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 02, 2014, 06:31:51 AM
Richard

Goes with Nameless to the stables where Duror is to try and open a hole in the gate. I'm assuming that's the Gondorian gate; if it's the Mordorian gate is there any chance we can open it like this?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on April 02, 2014, 12:51:33 PM
Duror will continue to follow the Mage to the gates. Does the Commander go with him?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 03, 2014, 09:12:04 AM
@ Richard: unless Duror chooses to become visible, you cannot find him. Also the stables are not near the gates. See the map. Auris and Nameless are near the stables however, so you should be able to find them there
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 03, 2014, 09:15:09 AM
The commander and the mage finish up loading the trunk. They then carry the trunk out of the mage's quarters.
 
Nameless, Auris and Richard find each other in the shadows surrounding the stables. They can see the mage and commander exit the quarters carrying a large trunk
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 03, 2014, 10:48:55 AM
Richard wishes - Set the trunk and then the gates afire Duror!.. -
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 03, 2014, 09:50:53 PM
Nameless

Whispers to Auris, "What now? I can get away easily enough, but I remain to help you three ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on April 04, 2014, 08:29:44 AM
Auris

"Either we storm out, abandon the artefact they stole, and let them charge us with crimes and elven tales* throughout Gondor, or we sort this miserable situation here. I'm in favor of not leaving till that mage and commander are dead. Let's see where they bring that chest. In the meantime, let's see if Duror lights some more fires - and if not, we'll have to do it!"


* Standing expression, originating from mirkwood: Elven tales are stories that might be true, after a fashion, but get mere mortals only in more trouble because those elements most relevant for humans and similar species are left out.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 04, 2014, 11:31:44 AM
The mage and commander carry the trunk past the stables in the direction of where the commander's quarters once were. When they reach the square the commander barks some orders, two soldiers come rushing and take the trunk with the explicit order to guard its contents with their lives.
 
Commander: "Allright your items are as safe as can be...now go to the gates and get me that invisible %$@#@... make sure the archers shoot him from above...I'll form a small party to intercept him and that sword carrier from below"
Mage: "Yes, yes...consider it done"

The mage runs off towards the stairs, the commander calls for some soldiers and starts instructing them on what they will do next. One of the soldiers runs of to get some flour to throw over the invisible fiend. Another is fetching the dogs in order to catch his trail once they find him again
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 04, 2014, 02:39:55 PM
Nameless

Whispers to Auris, "Well, there's the trunk and our chance. What's our move?"

** How far from us are the two soldiers and the trunk? Can I see Richard?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on April 04, 2014, 03:02:31 PM
ooc: I'm assuming Auris and Richard are next to you. The soldiers are walking away from you, so it really depends on how long you wait. However the sooner you react, the more likely it is the commander and mage are aware of it. By the time the mage and commander are well away from the 2 soldiers, you'd have to run after them
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on April 10, 2014, 01:49:11 AM

** Where - mapwise - are they taking the chest? (Also could you update it with current positions and extent of flames?) tks

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 05, 2014, 11:31:44 AM
Agreed. So, Richard lures the commander, "Hey, you, you're looking for this?", and points to the sword. I believe at the same point Auris will strike the magician..
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 14, 2014, 07:52:39 AM
@ the gate & mage

Mobius creates one of his trademark scary spiders...he has it crawling over the gate rattling and oozing poison. The two soldiers guarding the gate, back away instantly shouting "monster, monster"...this attracts the intention of the mage, who starts prepping a spell. While he does this, Duror becomes visible behind his back and shoots a powerful lightning bolt at the mage...it hits him square in the back and the mage collapses. Before any of the archers can react, Duror becomes invisible again.

The other archers start shooting at the spider...in the commotion Nameless rushes forward and starts opening the gates. An alarm is raised and some archers start shooting at nameless. However, his armor protects him from the incoming arrows


@ the commander's

Richard's not so subtle lure, certainly draws the attention of the commander, but also of the group of soldiers with him. The commander AND the 10 soldiers with him start running after Richard towards the stables, where Auris is in hiding. At that point the alarm is raised. The commander stops and shouts: "What in all that is holy is this now!?" He barks to 5 of his men "Don't let him out of your sight...get him! The rest of you, come with me" And he starts running to the gate.


ooc:

Richard has 5 soldiers running after him towards the stables. Auris is in hiding at the stables. Nameless is being shot at at the gate which is now open. Duror is invisible at the gate and Mobius is hiding somewhere near the gate in the shadows. Actions please
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 14, 2014, 05:17:02 PM
Duror will attempt to sneak through the gate to get out of the fort.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 14, 2014, 11:09:12 PM
Nameless

Steps outside, "Blessed freedom!" and turns, uses the door as more cover, and encourages the others to flee as well, "Time to gooooo."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 15, 2014, 12:00:47 AM
Richard runs away to the gate following his companions.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 15, 2014, 05:12:48 PM
Assuming Auris is alone in the stables:

Auris starts freeing the horses from their boxes. All of them, though he first leads teo horses gently to the stable doors, so they will not go outside thd dtables as they are set free, but all at once when he startles them. He keeps a rope to the reins of one good horse for each of his compsnions in his hands, hoping the horses will not realize a halfling will never be able to hold it...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 16, 2014, 08:27:42 AM
@ The gate

- Duror is able to walk out of the gate without problems, as long as he remains invisible
- Nameless is drawing fire from the archers on top of the gate...there is no door to hide behind...he is repeatedly shown how awesome his armor is, but he shouldn't push his luck too much.
- Mobius is able to use the diversion Nameless is creating to sneak through the gates. He takes a left turn, away from the archers but hugging the gates for cover

@ The stables
- Upon hearing the alarm Richard decides to let go of the plan and make a run for the gate. The commander and 10 of his soldiers run after him. The confusion in the fortress is complete. The soldiers who are still in a bucketline upon seeing Richard and the soldiers running by believe the fortress is under attack (given the earlier alarm) some start scrambling to their barracks to arm themselves, others run together with Richard and the chasing soldiers towards the gates. The frustrated shouts of the commander "Get him, get HIMMMmmm" are drowned out in the commotion
- The chaos outside also gives Auris plenty of time to do whatever he wants with the horses, which being heavily trained respond surprisingly well to whatever he tells them to do
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 17, 2014, 03:06:21 PM
@ The gate

- Duror is able to walk out of the gate without problems, as long as he remains invisible
- Nameless is drawing fire from the archers on top of the gate...there is no door to hide behind...he is repeatedly shown how awesome his armor is, but he shouldn't push his luck too much.
- Mobius is able to use the diversion Nameless is creating to sneak through the gates. He takes a left turn, away from the archers but hugging the gates for cover

** Do the gates open out? in? slide left/right? go up? I meant Nameless uses a gate for cover whichever way he has to move to do so ... unless the archers are directly overhead?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 19, 2014, 10:43:55 AM
ooc: the doors open in, so it's not possible to stand outside and have cover, as the archers are right on top of you...you can however be protected by standing behind the left door on the inside of the fortress...you can also do what Mobius is doing
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 19, 2014, 11:48:59 AM
Richard runs to the gate maintaining his run on the left side; if he has time he shoots a bolt at the commander, "Maybe we can still recover the sceptre..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 19, 2014, 12:29:26 PM
ooc: you can fire a bolt if you want...just tell me when and roll. The commander will continue to follow you (even outside the fort) at least for as long as there is archer cover...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 19, 2014, 01:05:42 PM
OK. Richard passes the gate and runs out of Mordor (yhew!). At the maximum distance of missile cover he'll turn back and fire the bolt.

I'll cast a +90 icebolt, 9x damage, max 600 feet, no range subtraction.

Rolled 1d100+90 : 76 + 90, total 166
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 19, 2014, 04:32:17 PM
Auris

Auris takes one horse for himself (the smallest one around) and instead of mounting on top of it, he looks one foot in a stirrup and stands one it, along the flank (so the horse covers his small body). He stabilizes his self with a rope, and ties another rope to the saddle that is connected to the reins of the other horses he has selected for his compagnions.

Then he opens the stable doors, and startles the horses by using his gauntlet on the last one in the pack (the ones in front of him).

He then attempts to get his group of horses through the recently opened gate.

OOC: if he encounters the commander a bit later, he might try to kill him if needed, or take the scepter as he passes, so please take the action sequence slowly. After all, this needs a bit of Indiana Jones style ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 19, 2014, 11:28:24 PM
ooc: the doors open in, so it's not possible to stand outside and have cover, as the archers are right on top of you...you can however be protected by standing behind the left door on the inside of the fortress...you can also do what Mobius is doing

Do the Mobius :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 20, 2014, 01:04:44 PM



- Mobius continues to run along side the left hand of the gate, past the walls of mordor

- Nameless decides to run after him

- After some time, Richard reaches the gates, followed by dozens of soldiers all rushing to meet the apparent threat at the gates (and of course the ten soldiers chasing him)...Richard exits the fort followed by the ten soldiers, the other soldiers hesitate for a moment unsure of what is happening...finally the commander can get through to them..."catch him, don't let him get away" This immediately focuses the attention of the archers on the wall. Several arrows miss their target, but one arrow hits Richard in the shoulder and pierces his armor (20 hits, 2/r). At that point Richard spins around and shoots a bolt at the commander. It hits him in the torso and he drops like a bag of sand...dropping the scepter in the dirt next to him. The soldiers chasing Richard stop for a moment to realize what just happened then continue to give chase. (the sword is empty for the rest of the night and will be recharged at sunrise)

- Auris is able to get the group of horses moving, though they do not stampede, but they do follow his group of horses nicely (well trained). The first meters to the gates are strangely quiet. Some soldiers are running from their barracks and look surprised at the horses running  by, but are not really in the position to do anything. At the gates, Auris sees a big group of soldiers standing outside and running to the left...he first passes the corpse of the magician and then sees the body of the commander lying on the ground with some soldiers surrounding them. He also sees the sceptrelying next to him. He spurs the horses forward. The soldiers run away from the body and Auris is able to grab the scepter...unfortunately for him he falls while grabbing it (10 hits)...but is able to grab his horse again and mount it. Meanwhile the archers start firing at Auris. Two horses are hit, but none of the arrows hit Auris. He's able to steer the group of horses towards where the others are running
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 20, 2014, 01:05:41 PM
ooc: I need riding rolls for everyone to see if they are able to mount a moving horse
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on May 20, 2014, 01:09:56 PM
Duror will remain invisible as he passes through the gate. He proceeds to the others and takes off his ring so they can see him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 20, 2014, 02:17:18 PM
ooc: in that case also a riding roll please
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 20, 2014, 04:39:44 PM
Richard's attempt to mount a horse, or at least grab its neck and run faster because grabbed to him.  :lol:

If successful in mounting the horse, Richard will ride on the right side of the horse grabbed to his neck to get cover from the archers, if we're still under missile fire range.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 22, 2014, 09:21:52 AM
All are able to mount  their respective horses and the group is able to get enough distance from the soldiers on foot and the archers...

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 22, 2014, 09:22:44 AM
BTW: congratulations...you've successfully exited Mordor with all the artifacts...each of you get 50 DP... :)bd
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 22, 2014, 06:48:37 PM
huzzah!!

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 22, 2014, 09:24:17 PM
Auris rejoices at being out of that dreaded place, even as he ponders what the next step will be.

He rides on and on, looking over his shoulder if the rest follows, and if there are any soldiers still following.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 23, 2014, 07:16:01 AM
The soldiers on foot quickly give up the chase, but Auris knows there might be riders that could come after you, so it is prudent to keep moving...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 23, 2014, 07:40:00 AM
Auris scans for terrain where he could ambush any riders that are following him and his group.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 23, 2014, 09:23:55 AM
It's flat country, so no places available to hide a group of people, let alone there horses. A single individual could probably hide behind a rock or bush, but that's it...it's flat grass lands
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on May 26, 2014, 08:35:28 AM
As no ambush seems possible, Arius will keep on riding.

But eventually he'll need a place to rest and change horses (he doesn't want to ride them up, especially since there are plenty of spare horses, so he only needs to stop to switch.) They'll need water as well. Moreover, at some point the group needs to get their bearings so they don't accidentally back up in the direction of mordor. (OOC: perception roll for water, navigation for the general direction?)

All this weighs as heavily on the halfling's mind as the question "what now?"

In the long run, he could be secure for life by selling just one of the two items he now has. The entire group could be with just selling one. But it appears to be that any buyers would be of the type of the baron: quick to remove a party who knows too much. And dodging that was the very same thing that he grew tired off in the capital. Also, after this episode in the garrison, there was bound to be trouble with the law. Another thing he had grown tired off.

Perhaps the highest percentage would be in getting back at that baron - the only other person alive with too much of an idea what they had brought from Mordor - and trying to make him own up to the corruption of the officers in the border garrison before he departed this life. The alternative would likely be finding some deserted forest in the north, slap any passing troll, orc or goblin silly till he had a cellar full of undeads for company, and reflect on the scantiness of the north's cuisine. Not exactly how he had imagined his retirement, and therefore not much of an alternative at all.

He'll speak of this to the otehrs in the group at the earliest convenient opportunity.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on May 26, 2014, 09:23:27 AM
ooc: the question regarding water is whether you are riding southwest towards the river Ithilien...this is also the route to Gondor. The alternative would be to go to the dead swamps and Rohan (northwest)...water and undead aplenty...perhaps not so fresh  :lol:

You could also go North (Mirkwoord) or NorthEast (Rhun)... or east back to Mordor  :yes:

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on May 26, 2014, 01:01:26 PM
Nameless

Riding backwards to keep an eye out for pursuit, says to the others, "I vote we find civilization and disappear in its crowds .... I'd like to put this long series of bad decisions behind me."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 06, 2014, 07:35:18 AM
Nameless doesn't see any signs of pursuit...it will take them quite some time to form one on horseback, given that Auris took half of their horses with them...it could also be that they decided not to pursuit...

In any case, you need to make a decision regarding direction and roll a navigation roll to see if you are able to get there efficiently...there is some light coming from behind you (think 4 am in the summer), so in any case you have a general idea where east is. You are currently heading west in a general direction
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 08, 2014, 10:40:57 AM
Auris

As the party rides slower and begins to talk about what to do next, Auris argues for going more north than west, and aim for Tirith Mimnen, skirting the dead marshes on the left side, and Rohan on the right side. He gently steers his horse (and all of those that follow him still) in that direction - or what he believes is that direction.

As he talks, he reviews the past adventures in Mordor. He wishes never to return to that place, but is impressed by the awesome power he now wields through his items. They are as different as night and day, and Auris notices the night side is stronger -  perhaps because he used it for longer, perhaps of the troll episode, which he considered the most frightening part of all. And he does know that to ensure survival as a free man, he'll need fearsome power.

He'll have to master the dead or become one, a voice whispers in his head.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 10, 2014, 08:15:19 AM
The group manages to ride north-west in a general direction...after a couple of hours riding, morning has set in, the grasslands give way to low shrubs...you also notice the ground gets soggier very fast. It seems you haven't been able to quite circumvent the dead marshes
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 10, 2014, 11:10:05 PM
Nameless

Frowns, "Further east of north then?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 11, 2014, 06:06:29 AM
Auris

"Both!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 11, 2014, 07:13:39 AM
As you move north and east, it becomes cloudy, a watery sun disappears from view...it seems as if the swamp encroaches upon you, the further you move east and north...at some point it suddenly seems as if there is swampland all around you...

In the distance you see a light appearing, deeper in the swamp

*roll navigation*
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 12, 2014, 10:37:40 PM

Nameless

Frowns, "This isn't something I can do ... Backtrack perhaps?" he peers at the light, "Friendly place or fiendish monster?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 13, 2014, 11:53:22 AM
Auris

"I have a pretty good idea of how we went, and this place is a maze. perhaps one with a mind of its own even, look how the clouds behave! Even the horses are uneasy.

The quickest way seems to cross an outcrop of the swamp, the safest to backtrack a few hours. Your call, gentlemen."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on June 13, 2014, 05:46:04 PM
Duror

"I'm for pressing ahead."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 13, 2014, 09:59:10 PM
Nameless

"I'm for backtracking. Richard?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 14, 2014, 08:05:45 AM
Backtracking, if I recall correctly from stories I heard in Minas Tirith's taverns, the light comes from underwater from undead of the fallen soldiers that seek to attract the unaware to their doom. If we get into the swamp we may really get lost.  :ill:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 16, 2014, 06:53:06 AM
Mobius doesn't vote he stares at the little light in the distance
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 20, 2014, 05:53:04 PM
Auris

"On another note, they might still be looking for us, and if we backtrack, we'll have to camp in what might be an uncomfortable place. Better risk the adventure."

Auris, trusting his excellent navigation, and less afraid of undead as he'd otherwise be, presses ahead, in such a way that he stays on course for Tirith Mimnen.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 20, 2014, 10:15:05 PM
Nameless

Frowns, not trusting his skill and not quite ready to trust Auris either, trails behind the party, nervously tugging on the edge of his armor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 23, 2014, 06:35:36 AM
It takes the group a good half hour of a ride to clear the swamp. It was relatively easy, provided that you knew where you were going. Although it was only half an hour, doubt on whether you were going in the right direction made it seem like an eternity.

The moment you step out into the plains again, the sun starts to come out from behind the clouds.

The rest of the day is spent riding towards the hill, taking extra measures to avoid the swamp. In order to completely circumvent it though, you are forced partly into the hills. You appear not to be the only ones that use that route to Tirith Mimnen. A well travelled path (cart tracks can be seen) crosses your path. Not long after you've entered the hills, the sun drops behind the tops and it quickly starts becoming to dark for your horses to safely go on.

You feel hungry and thirsty
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 23, 2014, 10:24:18 PM
Nameless

Turns to the others, "I have no skill in searching for food or water, just paths and trails .... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 27, 2014, 07:40:40 PM
Richard tries to measure how much time it will take the party to reach Tirith Mimnen; if it won't be better to press ahead rather than forage for food.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 28, 2014, 07:04:17 PM
Auris

"Look, I know it's hard, but be on the lookout for water. These are hills, there must be running water or a pool somewhere. And I promise I won't kiss the first person to shoot a rabbit."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 28, 2014, 09:23:04 PM
It's currently too dark for the horses to continue without risking serious injury to their legs due to rocks etc. You still have a little time to hunt/forage, but otherwise your only source of food is one of the surplus horses Auris brought
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 29, 2014, 12:37:34 AM
"To kill one of the beasts is perhaps too rash; maybe we should risk the undead pools to fill up the canteens," says Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on June 29, 2014, 08:50:21 AM
As Richard peers out, he sees more than enough lights to guide him to those pools.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 29, 2014, 09:14:18 AM
Auris

"Very well then, I'll risk the pools. Please give me all canteens you want filled."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 29, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
Richard suggests to Auris that before he enters the pool that he put a scarf around his eyes, so that he won't fall prey to the lights.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on June 29, 2014, 12:43:07 PM
Nameless

Looks about to see if we managed to end up with a length of rope. If yes, he suggests tying it to Auris as well.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on June 29, 2014, 09:06:56 PM
Auris declines the suggestion of a blindfold, trusting his abilities instead, but does take enthouasitically to the idea of a rope.

If there isn't enough rope to go around, he suggests the horse's reins.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 01, 2014, 08:18:37 AM
There was no time to grab ropes, but a couple a reigns tied together will do nicely...

The group of three descends the hill they are on. Once you reach the bottom, the ground quicly turns soggy. It isn't long before you find a pool of water. A small light lights up the pool...it moves slowly towards you

(all three, please roll RR willpower)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 01, 2014, 08:38:07 AM
Richard's will-power RR,

Rolled 1d100+33 : 17 + 33, total 50
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 01, 2014, 09:03:21 AM
Richard says, "Argh!.. The light is pushing me into the water, like a Siren's call!.. Help me.."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 01, 2014, 09:56:48 AM
Auris is trying to control the undead associated with the light, but fails.

All he can do is drop the canteens, and grab Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 01, 2014, 10:48:43 AM
Richard resists...roll strength checks to see if Auris is able to physically restrain Richard
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 01, 2014, 11:04:43 AM
OOC: strength, on a halfling? Poor Richard ;)

Rolled 1d100+4 : 57 + 4, total 61
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 01, 2014, 01:45:13 PM
Nameless

Will RR
Rolled 1d100+38 : 38 + 38, total 76


Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 01, 2014, 01:55:00 PM
Auris tries to stop Richard, but his small body is no match...nameless on the other hands firmly grabs Richard and throws him on the ground, snapping him free from the urge to move towards the light
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 01, 2014, 02:03:54 PM
Auris tries to stop Richard, but his small body is no match...nameless on the other hands firmly grabs Richard and throws him on the ground, snapping him free from the urge to move towards the light

Nameless, still holding Richard for the moment, says to Auris, "Did you get the water? Then let's get the frak out of here. If not, hurry up!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 01, 2014, 03:22:17 PM
Thank you Nameless, I thought my time had come; the urge to shoot for the light; bah, I don't want to talk about it!..
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 01, 2014, 03:37:23 PM
Auris picks up the canteens, and fills them, them passes them on to Nameless.

"here, take them and get richard out of here, fast."

He does study the undead in the swamp as closely as his position allows.

OOC: can I try controlling another nearby undead?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 01, 2014, 03:44:54 PM
Thank you Nameless, I thought my time had come; the urge to shoot for the light; bah, I don't want to talk about it!..

Nameless smiles, "Heh ... lets just try not to leave our boots in this sucking mud."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 02, 2014, 09:16:37 AM
As Auris looks into the water, he sees an elven corpse float by, the moment Auris looks at him, the corpse opens it eyes and stares straight at him with a pale blue light in his eyes

(roll another will RR)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 02, 2014, 04:07:23 PM
Auris is intrigued by the corpse floating by, and moves towards it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 02, 2014, 05:40:43 PM
Richard tries to grab Hayek, while avoiding the gaze of the undead.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 02, 2014, 08:23:46 PM
"No Richard, leave me to it - it's allright!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 06, 2014, 11:27:31 PM
"No Richard, leave me to it - it's allright!"

Nameless

Not convinced, stands at the ready to grab Auris.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 07, 2014, 07:11:01 AM
Auris seems to shake off his interest, fills the canteens and walks back with the others to the camp...

With their thirst quenched, the group manages to fall asleep...still hungry though.

Next morning, a watery sun and a cloudy morning greet the group. The next couple of hours are uneventful. Then the tower of Tirith Mimnen appears. It's not a big fortress, yet the tower is quite impressive. It spirals very high above a rocky outcrop overlooking a steep cliff. The path you're following forks with one leading down and one up towards the fortress. You can see large pieces of wood and straw upon the tower...this tower must be part of the ancient warning system between Rohan and Gondor you figure.

Which route do you take?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 07, 2014, 07:18:20 AM
Q: are the horses we took instantly recognizable as military horses?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 07, 2014, 08:24:20 AM
A: They aren't branded if that's what you mean...although an expert will see from their built that they are scout and war horses (capable of carrying soldiers with armor). The saddles and gear on the horses however carry the mark of Gondor military
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 07, 2014, 08:32:28 AM
Auris proposes to take the lower route, to the city, and before that, to hide the surplus saddles and other identifiable gear.

The plan would be to mask as a group of horse merchants. With Rohan near, that wouldn't be too odd a sight.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 07, 2014, 09:22:56 AM
ooc: there is no city at Tirith Mimnen...it's just the fortress. This guards the passage via the falls of Rauros to Rohan and serves as one of the great beakons
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 07, 2014, 10:15:24 AM
oops.

Still, downwards. I've learned better than to expect a warm welcome from the Gondorian military.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 07, 2014, 02:46:06 PM
Duror


I agree- we should go downward.  :yes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 07, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
As the group moves below the fortress, they can see guards looking from above to the strange group (you have a lot of horses with you) riding below. You feel very exposed from arrow fire or other missiles (large boulders, etc.)...and understand the location as a deterrent against armies that somehow made it across the river up ahead.

For the rest this is a very quiet place...the marsh on one side and a steep cliff on the other side make this a less than ideal spot for frequent trade. In the not so far distance you can hear the rumble of the falls of Rauros.

Not long after you finally reach the river and are treated with a spectacular view

(http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090912071315/lotr/images/thumb/0/0c/Falls_of_Rauros.JPG/500px-Falls_of_Rauros.JPG)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 07, 2014, 03:54:35 PM
To give you an idea of the surrounding:

You approach it from lower right corner:

(http://www.pikus.net/elendor/MEMaps/Tolbrandir.JPG)

(http://static.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1305/2013-02-03_131732_4761989.jpg)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 07, 2014, 03:58:53 PM
The marshes give way before you reach the river (being fed from a side branch of it)...the triangular island in between river, sidebranch and marsh is filled with lush green forest.

When you reach the river, you can see the road leads to a small pier where a boatman operates a small ferry service. Please note that all of this is still in sight range of the fortress   
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 07, 2014, 05:19:36 PM
Auris

To his compagnons: "Looks like we might need to pay for the crossing. Do we have any coin on us? Or do we have to offer him a horse?"

OOC: I see we're fast forwarding a bit, Tirith Mimnen lies a good distance from the Rauros. I'm pretty indifferent between continuing our adventures in Rohan or in Gondor (I'm unsure if the other bank of the river was classical gondor, but I guess it's incoporated into the realm in this setting), so I'll happily go along.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 07, 2014, 05:33:38 PM
"Why not pay him in horse tack; if he accepts them, we'd get rid of the saddles with the sign of Gondor," says Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 07, 2014, 06:35:38 PM
Auris

"I like efficient plans, normally - but this sounds risky. He lives next to the fortress, chances are he knows and recognizes military issue goods, especially if he has time to study them. Maybe he even is a veteran, retiring here to be able to drink with his old comrades in arms. Much better hide the provenance of our gear, and see if we can sell him one of these good horses for the price of an old nag and a crossing. We have plenty anyway."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 07, 2014, 06:40:09 PM
Duror

"Why doesn't a couple of us go down without the horses and see what it costs to ferry us across the river? Maybe we should discard anything on the horses that would give them any clues as to where we got them from..."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 07, 2014, 08:52:03 PM
"I can go," says Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 07, 2014, 11:30:20 PM
Nameless

If we have more horses than our numbers, then Nameless agrees with trading the worst of the bunch for passage across.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 08, 2014, 08:13:01 AM
The group hides the horses in the trees and Richard (+anyone else?) heads out to see what the fares are.
As he approaches the shore, he sees a large flatboat See pic for impression
(http://www.boatingsidekicks.com/presboaters/flatboats.jpg)
The boat is large enough for a cart and oxen to be carried across the water. An old man stands at the back of the boat and holds the paddle that acts as a rudder. The boat glides remarkably steady across the river, especially given the currents created by the nearby falls. It's also unclear what propels the boat.
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 08, 2014, 08:15:24 AM
The flatboat gently docks at the pier and the boatman greets Richard: "Good day there to you young sir...would you require passage across the river?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 08, 2014, 08:40:10 AM
Auris

Auris joins Richard, and steps out of the shadows when Richard is hailed.

"Good day to you, sir! Yes, we'd be interested in passage across. What would your fare be?"

As the boat seems a bit mysterious, Auris also casts a discreet sense magic.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 08, 2014, 09:01:54 AM
Boatman
 
"Oh, I didn't see you there master Halfling...well the price depends...do you have any merchandise on you? You see the fortress (he points behind you) has implemented a toll for enabling this safe trading route across the river. It's an expensive fortress for the realm given that there's not much around here you see. Not much else to tax, but the dead"...he laughs
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 08, 2014, 02:18:45 PM
Auris

"Well, master boatsman, we're a group of horsetraders. A pleasant trade, you get around. Sadly more and more places require tolls these days. So much even that we're currently, as you could call it, asset rich and cash poor. Could we perhaps persuade you to buy a horse of us first? Obviously at a discount - fine, strong trained horses for the price of a old nag and a crossing, that's what we offer!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 08, 2014, 03:04:31 PM
Boatsman
"Hmmmmm...well that would depend on the quality of the horses and the amount of horses you wish to ship across...it's a relative toll you see"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 08, 2014, 03:16:52 PM
Auris

"You'll need to make a few crossings, yes." He whistles, as a signal for the rest to come forward.

"Now, you see what fine horseflesh we have. One of them will allow you to settle the toll with our friends above" - he points at the fortress "and have plenty of leftovers. In fact, you might toss in some silver coins, you will never get better value!"

OOC: trading roll to help increase my luck ^^
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 08, 2014, 03:47:32 PM
ooc: has the gear with the markings (including your saddles) been removed?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 08, 2014, 03:50:31 PM
OOC: of course.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 09, 2014, 07:55:01 AM
ooc: so everyone is on foot and has tossed their saddles aside?  ???  That will make riding very difficult, unless you have awesome riding skills
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 09, 2014, 08:31:21 AM
No, we offer him one horse, unsaddled. That one is devoid of markings.

The rest is still on the shore, out of his sight or at least a couple of dozen meters away (i take it the markings are only visible upon inspection from within a meter or so, not from afar.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 09, 2014, 08:47:00 AM
ooc: understood...indeed, the markings are only visible upon inspection
 
Boatman
 
"I see, I see...your friends can come closer, surely they do not fear an old boatman?" He laughs and coughs, which stops his laughter...
 
..."given the number of horses you are carrying there, I fear I will have to ask for two horses. You see the commander is not keen on payment in goods...he tends to shout at me that 'he's not a bloody merchant' you see...he never really gets a good price...that's why. So you can see that I need two, so we get enough money. I'm sure you'll understand."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 09, 2014, 01:45:25 PM
Duror

Before approaching the boatman, Duror will check the surrounding area to see if he notices anything peculiar...

Perception roll-

Rolled 1d100+39 : 36 + 39, total 75
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 09, 2014, 02:50:45 PM
Duror doesn't see anything peculiar.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 09, 2014, 11:20:45 PM

** How many of us and how many horses? Can we spare two?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 10, 2014, 06:55:39 AM
ooc: you can easily spare two...Auris brought at least 5 extra horses with him (mostly by accident)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 10, 2014, 08:05:25 AM
Auris

Tries some haggling:

"Dear sir, these are horses fit for war or racing, not ones that you put in front of a plough. I'd say one is quite enough to settle our bill; you can have it without any payment. The commander will be well pleased with such fine horseflesh, and won't ask for any other tolls."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 10, 2014, 08:35:30 AM
Boatman
 
"Those are indeed some fine specimen, but I already took that into account when calculating my toll...again, I fear this is an expensive crossing...you can see why" he points apologetically at the large fortress behind you in the middle of nowhere
 
"Feel free to pay me in coin instead...given your trading skill you will fetch much more for these horses than we will, I'm sure...so it will make the crossing cheaper for you"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 10, 2014, 08:49:04 AM
Auris

"Then the last person who wanted our money shouldn't have asked for so much." he turns to his compagnions: "do we have enough cash on us still?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 10, 2014, 09:37:05 AM
ooc: for avoidance of doubt...thanks to the Baron, none of you have any money
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 10, 2014, 09:56:00 AM
OOC : I know, I ask that with the proverbial wink - if someone wants to pay with illusionary money (Mobius), cast a spell of some sort, or kill the nuisance on the spot, this is the moment for it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on July 10, 2014, 03:10:56 PM
OOC- Couldn't we just kill the boatman and ferry ourselves across? We are loaded with magical weapons...  ;evil)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 10, 2014, 10:51:41 PM
OOC- Couldn't we just kill the boatman and ferry ourselves across? We are loaded with magical weapons...  ;evil)

** Heck I could even row the boat back, return by teleport and nonethewiser ... unless the tower can see us from here?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 11, 2014, 07:00:44 AM
OOC: they can. We may have better odds at the other side though, this isn't a small river, but one I'd imagine to be several hundred yards in width at least. Now unless the binocular has been invited yet that means the tower won't see much detail on the other bank.

Auris presents the boatman with 2 horses, but stipulates that he and those horses will be ferried over last.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 11, 2014, 07:43:19 AM
Boatman
 
"Thank you master Halfling...those are fine specimens indeed. No problem with shipping you with the last horses. I will leave the two horses for toll here...no need to ship them across the river twice, no?" he smiles
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 11, 2014, 08:00:23 AM
Auris

"Then you'd have no need to ship me at all, in the end. You need to get back to this shore anyway. The horses go with me, we'll settle our accounts as soon as every last hair of our party is across, not sooner."

He puts a look in his eyes that suggests the boatsman is seriously testing his luck.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 11, 2014, 09:14:50 AM
Boatman
 
In angry tone: "I'm sorry, I thought we were in agreement...I cannot ferry you across, unless we've settled the toll. I need to make two trips, as not all horses will fit in one go...I understood it that you wanted to be ferried with the second trip together with the last horses. I will not ferry you with the payment to the other shore...I'm but alone and have to question your sincerity now"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 13, 2014, 08:03:14 PM
Auris

"And I have to question the sincerity of anyone who demands extortionist tolls. Yet I have agreed to the price. Now, take one of the horses in advance and you'll get the other at the end if you must, but don't think we will agree to a bargain you yourself seem to dislike so much."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 13, 2014, 08:11:42 PM
Nameless

Adds, "One horse per trip is fair by us. You take half of our party and your first horse. Bring it back and put it where you keep them. Bring the rest of us and the second horse. Sort of like Elven logic problems except no wolves or rabbits eh?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 14, 2014, 07:47:56 AM
Boatman
 
"You must take me for a fool...No, I will not ferry the Toll payment across the river...either you pay the two horses upfront, or I wish you a good day. There is a free route across or around the Emyn Muil, through the swamps or at Cairn Andros...no-one is forcing you to take this ferry"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 14, 2014, 09:37:05 PM
Auris

"Then take these two horses." Auris points towards the two towards the back of the pack, without markings.

He then turns his back to the boatman, and adjusts his baggage.

OOC: if the boatman indeed goes to those horses and takes then away, Auris will jump on his boat. Of course, he's not advertising that plan.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 14, 2014, 09:40:07 PM
Boatman
 
"You must take me for a fool...No, I will not ferry the Toll payment across the river...either you pay the two horses upfront, or I wish you a good day. There is a free route across or around the Emyn Muil, through the swamps or at Cairn Andros...no-one is forcing you to take this ferry"

Nameless shrugs, "I am just suggesting something palatable to all of us. Take one horse to wherever and take half of us across. Then take your second horse and ferry the rest of us. Think of us as two groups if it matters."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 15, 2014, 06:37:04 AM
Boatman
 
"Sure if that helps you, I will take one horse for each trip..." then to Nameless "You seem like you've been through a lot to get here. It must seem harsh to you to pay such a hefty toll...but you see the lord will have my head if I don't bring in the much needed income. There are no lands to plough you see...In any case, maybe I can help you a bit. These horse do seem fine specimens, albeit a bit worn out. Perhaps you can throw in some riding gear or whatever coin you have on you...I'll settle for one horse then"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 16, 2014, 12:03:58 PM
Auris

"I'm afraid we're out of coin if we want to eat at some point, and we'll be needing the riding gear we have ourselves. But I'm glad you see that we're paying dearly".

Auris still aims to jump on the boat if the boatman is sufficiently far away with the horse to grant him enough time to attune before he makes it back to the boat.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 16, 2014, 12:58:19 PM
The boatman
 
He nods..."Understood...which horse can I take for the first trip then?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 16, 2014, 06:22:13 PM
Auris points to one at the fsr back, devoid of markings that betray its borigin.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 17, 2014, 01:11:02 PM
The boatman walks up to it and gives it a quick inspection to see if its not lame, or diseased.


This gives Auris the opportunity to hop on the barge and see if it is attunable. To his surprise, the boat is not magical.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 17, 2014, 01:21:14 PM
Auris

Amazed, but quick to conceal his amazement, Auris pretends to shake the boat a bit to see if it will hold the horses. He realises payment for the ferry might be hard to avoid now.

He shouts to his comrades: "OK, she's sturdy enough, bring half our remaining horses please, and a few of you. let's get loaded, we waisted enough time already!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 17, 2014, 02:13:20 PM
Auris, Richard and Duror get on the first trip with half of the horses. Nameless and Duror stay behind with the other half


The trip is very short, it seems like the boat glides over the water in an unnatural way, especially given the strong currents from the falls. The view is quite spectacular. At the other end, the horses are unloaded without a problem.


ooc: unless anyone wants to try anything, the boatman will return with the empty barge to fetch the other half of the horses. Please also let me know what you do with the tack and saddles.



Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 17, 2014, 07:29:34 PM
Auris

Halfway the trip, Auris asks the boatman what makes this boat move so gentle, and yet so fast, without apparent propulsion of any kind.

OOC: I think we only took the tack and saddles of the horses we give to the boatman, we can keep our own. having accepted payment, he's complicit anyway. Are, to be safe, we can treat him on an icebolt or gauntlet-kiss after he's going back again after ferrying us all. Is the other bank still within sight of the tower, or is it too far away?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 18, 2014, 07:52:10 AM
Boatman
 
"That master Halfling is a boatman's secret" he smiles meaningfully.
 
ooc: The other bank is also within sight...you would need some sight augmentation, but it's plausible to assume they would have that, given that they protect this passage across the river.
Regarding the boatsman. Please keep in mind that in this setting everyone can potentially do magic.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 18, 2014, 08:57:37 AM
Auris nods, and starts singing (or humming where he forgot the words) an old halfling song praising the peaceful nature and good meals of the lands surrounding the Brandywine in the Shire. Not that his family has lived anywhere near for generations, but it seems fitting.

OOC: want a roll to see if Auris can sing on key?  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 20, 2014, 05:31:10 PM
As Auris is singing, the boatman listens intently with a smile on his face...the boat slows down, but the trip is still too short to finish the whole song.


"That is a mighty fine song there master Halfling...it's befitting the beauty of the falls...makes one forget the awful marshes that make these parts so desolate"


The horses and passengers offload safely. The boatman inquires if anyone wants to ferry back to get the rest. There is room for one more on the second trip.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 20, 2014, 05:34:43 PM
Auris goes back and forth again, he has some more singing to do.

Halfway through, he says that the Brandywine could use a similar ferry service. He tries to interest the boatman in a franchise (what he really wants to find out, is how the boat moves, ofc).

Duping roll to accompagny the trick.

OOC: I'm not going to write out cheap salesman tricks; roleplaying is all very nice, but there are limits :p
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 21, 2014, 07:03:52 AM
The Boatman questions whether the Brandywine would require such an expensive service such as himself, it being a much smaller and quieter river. A painful silence ensues for the rest of the trip.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 25, 2014, 09:06:51 PM
Auris

After everyone is acorss, Auris mounts up, still in silence. He rides off without another look at the boatman. He aims for the nearest settlement.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 28, 2014, 10:36:59 AM
The boatman carries the second batch of horses across safely. He bids the group a good day and journey and ships back to the other side.
 
The group mounts up and follows Auris. There is a road that follows the mountains on the right side. On the left side is still rough land, trees and marshes.
 
You ride on for another day and a half and just before the next night the marshes and trees on the left hand side give way to the start of grassy plains, you reach a crossroad, with a small farmers village just behind it. The road to the right continues to hug the mountains, while the road to the left goes into the plains.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 28, 2014, 10:50:27 AM
Auris

"Well, there's civilization and civilization, but for now I'll setlle for it. I suggest we ask for a bed for the night, and try to sell some horses for supplies and coin. And see if there's any gossip from outside Gondor to be had."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 28, 2014, 09:17:50 PM
Auris

"Well, there's civilization and civilization, but for now I'll setlle for it. I suggest we ask for a bed for the night, and try to sell some horses for supplies and coin. And see if there's any gossip from outside Gondor to be had."

Nameless asks, "How wary should we be? Can word of us have reached this far?" he pulls his cloak over his mask just a bit more.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 29, 2014, 07:52:36 AM
As the group enters the village, it appears to be a small farmers village. The outer houses all have big barns/fenced surroundings for animals that they herd. In the center you notice a small blacksmith, a small administrative building, and some other houses.


What sticks out is a very large inn in the middle of town. It looks too large for this village alone and seems to have fallen in disrepair.


It's the end of the afternoon, so farmers are trickling in with their livestock...given how you look people give you a wary eye, but otherwise don't seem apprehensive.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 29, 2014, 08:23:36 AM
Auris

Before they enter the village: "I doubt anything involving us has gone this way, Rohan is still administered separately. But let's make sure we make them none the wiser ourselves"

In the village, Auris hails the blacksmith he sees in his workyard:

"Greetings, master blacksmith! A good day to you and yours!
We're travelling traders, and looking for a place to rest our heads for the night, and wash off the marks of a rough voyage. Is there an establishment in your village where we can do this? That inn seems to have fallen on hard times."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 29, 2014, 09:31:36 AM
While riding through the village, Richard takes a look at the fences to see if there's any sign of the horses for which the Rohirrim are famous; not Méaras but plain quarterhorses or destriers.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 29, 2014, 11:31:39 AM
Blacksmith


"Aye and a good day to you too master Hobbit. Welcome to Rohan and our small and humble village. The Inn is still the place to be for the finest food and beds we can offer. She may not look like much on the outside, but the food and service is still the best there is."


He eyes the horses..."If you need shoeing for them fine horses you got there, I'll be more than happy to help...fair prices and good Rohanian quality"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 29, 2014, 11:33:08 AM
Richard sees some horses. All the farmers appear to have one or more horses they use for herding. They're good quality and fast, but not built to carry a man in armor, such as the warhorses you're sitting on
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 29, 2014, 12:02:30 PM
Auris

"Thank you, master blacksmith. I believe our horseshoes are still good, but we'll check before riding on; if needed we'll gladly use your services!"

Auris dismounts, and asks if someone could come along inside the inn, while the others stay outside (and have a look at the horses, it isn't a bad idea to keep them in good shape).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 29, 2014, 12:17:09 PM
The Blacksmith looks disappointed: "Very well sir, you know where to find me"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 29, 2014, 01:52:03 PM
Richard goes with Auris keeping the sword hidden by the cape.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 29, 2014, 03:20:01 PM
The inside of the inn looks like a bar mid afternoon without guests. You can smell the tobacco and stale ale that has accumulated over the years. The fireplace is out, but there is daylight coming through the windows. It's probably a very cozy inn once there are guests, but now it looks empty and a bit sad.


A small bell rings when you enter...from the back you hear a voice: "Aren't we a bit early...I'm still preparing for supper" a man walks out of what looks to be the kitchen (door is besides the bar) with his apron on and whiping his hands on some cloth. When he sees you he looks surprised:


"Oh, your not...your travellers...oh, welcome, Welcome!...how may I be of service to you? Would you like something to eat, drink? Perhaps you would like to rest?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 29, 2014, 03:47:31 PM
Auris

"Indeed, sir - we do want to rest, and eat, and stay the night. It has been too long since we had decent lodgings. Several of our compagnons are still outside, tending to our merchandise - fine warhorses, very strong and stout! So you see, we hope to bring a lot of custom to your inn.

But I want to play fair by you. Bandits and heavy tolls have reduced the amount of coins in our purse. Do you know of a customer who would be interested in buying one from us, or would you accept one horse as surety for payment later?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 29, 2014, 09:49:55 PM
The innkeeper's eyes widen visibly when Auris mentions more custom "Indeed, indeed"


When he mentions the toll, the expression visibly sours: "Damn toll indeed...who needs bandits when you have Gondorian toll killing this trade route. Of course I will take a horse as surety for payment later. Tonight I will ask around to see if anyone is interested in buying a...warhorse you said? Not sure if there's much demand for that here...mmm, are they Eaterling or Gondorian?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 30, 2014, 07:54:16 AM
"We bought them in the east, but they have Gondorian pedigree."

"Now, please show our compagnons outside where they can stable or tether the horses, reserve one for your bill should it come to that, and then we would love to refresh, eat and talk - we've been on the road long enough, and lack for news."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2014, 12:33:42 PM
Innkeeper
 
"I see, do you have any papers or are they...paperless?"
 
"Yes sir I will see to it...Corintha prepare 5 rooms and the two baths for our guests please!" a sixteen year old girl, obviously his daughter, appears from the kitchen and runs upstairs.
 
The innkeeper walks outside with Auris and heartily greets the rest...he pauzes a moment when he sees the travelers covered in blood and gore, but then regains himself and smiles "Welcome gentlemen...you look like you could need some rest and refreshment. If you take a seat inside I will take your horses to our stable and pour you some ale. We're preparing your rooms and have two baths at your disposal to freshen up. Of course we can also arrange for your clothes to be washed. If you want we can also have your weapons sharpened by our excellent smith do the horses need shoeing by any chance? We can take care of that as well...dinner will be served in a couple of hours, my wife is preparing it as we speak...please, please, come in and make yourself at home...welcome to Rohan!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 30, 2014, 01:08:56 PM
Richard bows slightly in reply. "I think I'll take one of the baths first, as this sense of being unwashed for more than 2 weeks beats me." He looks to the innkeeper's daughter to see if it's alright.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on July 30, 2014, 01:37:23 PM
The girl answers:
"Sure that's good sir...it'll take a while to get the water hot though...I'll work on it as fast as I can"

The girl turns around and runs down the stairs again and into the kitchen
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 30, 2014, 01:49:56 PM
Richard approaches the innkeeper and asks, "Has this new toll also taken you traffic away? We found its prices exhorbitant." Richard talks on about casual things trying to know why the inn is down on its luck. He thinks to himself, 'In Rohan we should be fine; no Ghost from the Marshes haunting the place, I expect.'
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on July 30, 2014, 07:35:10 PM
Auris

Auris orders an ale first ("no use to wet the body if the throat is still dry as sandpaper") and joins in the casual conversation, also keeping two ears open regarding to the misfortune that has befallen the inn.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on July 30, 2014, 10:09:31 PM
Nameless

Does the same as Auris, but a darker beer - stout or porter - if they have one. He pushes up the bottom edge of his mask and slides the mug underneath to drink (if only he had a straw :) )

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 03, 2014, 07:15:03 AM
Innkeeper


"agh don't get me started about that toll...it's criminal really...it seems like the gondorian guard commander wishes to kill this trade route. Ever since he came to office trade along this route has virtually stopped. There's nothing we can do...we've switched to cooking suppers for the local villagers, but it's not nearly enough to pay for necessary repairs..." He looks sad, then regains himself "but she's still solid and comfortable...we'll make sure you're stay is perfect"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 03, 2014, 08:24:00 PM
Auris

"I'm sure of that, your welcome is most heartwarming. I've seen you and your family - wife and daughter also in the business, right? - be more caring for our group than anyone we encountered in a long time....
Auris continues to make some more small talk. Then he, without any empasis, tosses in " but why would a Gondorian commander wish to kill a traderoute to such a nice part of Rohan?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 04, 2014, 11:34:56 AM
Innkeeper


"We can only speculate master Hobbit...it's just that the official reason [ed: high toll to cover the expensive costs of the fortress in the middle of nowhere] doesn't make any sense...I mean any merchant can tell you that if you want to make more money by raising prices, that at some point if you continue to raise your prices you start to lose money...trade along this route has almost stopped...so they are no longer making any money from their toll...what would your conclusion then be master Hobbit?"


he returns with a fresh round of ale and beer and inquires casually: "Are you from the Gondorian militairy yourselves?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 04, 2014, 06:32:41 PM
Auris

"I've once done some things for the Gondorian military. They do not like to get their hands dirty or their feet tired in the east. Suffice it to say, my experiences left me unimpressed. I like life as a trader better."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 04, 2014, 09:15:27 PM
Nameless

Whispers to Auris, "Any reason you can fathom why? Commander's hand in another pocket?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 05, 2014, 07:06:57 AM
Auris

Whispers back: "plenty of nobles who see still-independent Gondor as ripe for the taking, except for the fiercely independent nature of some horselords. Perhaps this is a way of breaking their will, and so perparing the ground."

To the innkeeper, at the next opportune moment:
"I've seen some Gondorian commanders more inteested in serving a nobleman with deep pockets than the crown. How have your Gondorian noble neighbours treated Rohan the last years?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 05, 2014, 07:37:21 AM
Innkeeper
 
"I do not know much of the ways of noblemen master Hobbit...I do know this south-eastern region hasn't seen much trade lately from the south or east. Our trade route has been all but closed down and the new route via Cairn Angren hasn't delivered what we have hoped. I know our lord protector has had talks with the lord commander, but to no avail"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 05, 2014, 08:09:56 AM
The evening progresses comfortably and uneventfully. The baths are a delight. Simple, but the water is warm and refreshed regularly and the soap smells like fresh lavender. The food is also simple but fresh and well prepared.
 
Around dinner time, whole families enter the inn. It gives a pleasant yet atypical atmosphere in the Inn. After dinner time the families leave fairly soon. Some men stay around a bit longer for ale and conversation/laughter.
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 05, 2014, 08:42:01 AM
It's around that time that the innkeeper and an older fellow (wearing a mayor's chain) approach your table.
 
The older man asks: "Good evening gentlemen, I'm the mayor of this small village, might I take up some of your time to discuss a proposition we have for you?"
 
(assuming you don't object to this) The innkeeper brings another round of drinks and joins the mayor at your table. The mayor begins to speak:
 
"As you have experienced yourselves, the tolls at the falls are killing the trade route through this territory. Our lord protector has tried in vain to negotiate and has provided various offers, but the lord commander has not budged one bit. Our lord protector and ourselves have formed the strong suspicion that the lord commander is receiving bribes from an unknown party to close this route. We've tried to inform the crown, but without evidence, there is nothing we can do offially. As such we could use help from people such as yourselves..."
 
He pauzes to consider his words: "You see...I'll be frank...we noticed you have no qualms with dealing with Gondorian military..."
 
The innkeeper interjects: "We saw the Gondorian military emblems on your horses, given that they don't have papers, we concluded..."
 
The mayor: "Never mind that, that's none of our business...what is our business is that we could use people with your particular talents. The lord commander is obviously corrupt...we have no qualms with the Gondorians, the problem lies with this one person. It so happens to be that tomorrow the lord commander will travel to our lord protector to have periodic talks about events in this region..."
 
He pauzes again, the next thing he's about to say obviously weighs heavy on his heart: "We would like you to kill the lord commander tomorrow...our farmboys know these lands by heart and can show you the ideal location to do it. They're not expecting anything, bandit activity is very low in these parts, so there won't be many soldiers accompanying him...it should be easy for you."
 
"We don't have much coin, but we can make it worth your while. We can arrange formal papers for your horses, so you can sell them as fine Rohirric warhorses. We'll get rid of those Gondorian emblems and give you proper Rihirrim embroidery. The smith will give you fresh shoeing and our healer will take care of their injuries. We will provide you with ample feed for the horses, so by the time you reach the market they will look in excellent health. You should have no problems fetching a substantial premium over the price you would have received now."
 
The innkeeper adds: "Of course you can have anything you want while you're here as my personal guests...for free"
 
The Mayor: "What say you of this?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 05, 2014, 01:03:03 PM
Duror considers the offer, concerned with a double-cross. He asks the Mayor suspiciously,


"Where will the Lord Commander be? Is there a good place for an ambush?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 05, 2014, 02:23:01 PM
Mayor
 
"The lord commander will be travelling the same route you took from here. It's the only route. Along the way are several spots where the mountains/hills on one side and forrest on the other give an excellent spot to ambush...you only need to know the right trails to get there...One of the boys from the village will accompany you to show the way. In older times this route was often used to ambush invading forces...but now with the new peace nobody expects anything. Also bandits are uncommon...there are simply not enough targets...so again nobody will expect anything"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 05, 2014, 02:37:50 PM
Duror,


"If we accomplish this, how to you expect the Gondolorians to react?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 05, 2014, 02:58:24 PM
Mayor
 
"After a short investigation, our lord protector will label it as 'an unfortunate attack by unknown rogues', apologies will be sent to the crown and patrols will be increased to 'ensure nothing like this will happen again'...after a while things will return to normal and trade will hopefully resume"
 
"It would be helpful if you could take their horses and valuables, you know such as..." he points to the stables
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 05, 2014, 06:36:33 PM
Richard looks to his companions in assent. "It seems fate has brought us outside the law. Maybe we can make a fresh start in Rohan with the help of these fellows," he says looking to the mayor.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 05, 2014, 08:50:32 PM
Auris

"Well, it's not exactly the easy and tranquil life of a trader, this assignment, but I happen to have a very deep grudge towards corrupt officials - a kind that seems to infest much of Gondor.

I have but two questions before this problem of yours can be settled:
first of all, do you have any information leading to who might be paying this commander? That is also in your interest, as the next commander might succumb to bribery just the same if the root cause is left unadressed.
Secondly, we would need some assurances that Rohan won't look too deeply in the matter. That is mainly your part, and I hope and expect you play it well. But you might be pressured very hard indeed if the person responsible for your misfortune is able to pull strings in the court of Rohan as well.
In sum, wouldn't it be a good idea if a son of yours would join our group as an apprentice trademan for a while? To see something of Rohan, further his education, etcetera....? Just long enough, say a month or so, to be sure things have blown away.

That, and the "freshening up" of our current horses and such that may be acquired in the process of dealing with your problem, as you described, would make this as satisfactory deal for me."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 05, 2014, 09:35:03 PM
Richard looks to his companions in assent. "It seems fate has brought us outside the law. Maybe we can make a fresh start in Rohan with the help of these fellows," he says looking to the mayor.

Nameless

Replies, "My fate is always to be outside looking in. This seems to be as good a proposition as any I've heard ... I am willing to assist as I can."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 06, 2014, 07:30:37 AM
Mayor
 
"I fear we don't know who that external factor is, or whether its just internal corruption. It is clear though that the good king Aragorn has lost control of some of his noblemen. It is also clear that if there is an external factor, than this external factor is no friend of Rohan, or has any influence here. Our lord protector has been fighting this toll any way he could, even overstepping some diplomatic boundaries...if this external factor had any influence in the courts of Rohan, then he would have been called off."
 
"If I had to venture a guess, then I would think the possible factor comes from the east. Diplomatic ties with the Easterlings have been strained for the first time since the Grand Peace (after the fall of Sauron). There have been rumors that there is a power struggle going on in the far east that might have caused this. I'm but a low level official, so for more information you should venture to our capital and inquire with the diplomats"
 
"I hope this gives you the comfort you need, the investigation will not point to you. Also remember that should you be caught, there is too much evidence that we helped you with things that are illegal. The papers etc...and given that we have motive, will corroborate any confession you could make. We would certainly face the same punishment you do"
 
You can see the Innkeeper is uncomfortable with that last statement...you can see him glance at his wife and daughter for a moment as if reconsidering
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 06, 2014, 01:00:15 PM
Duror the Mayor, "Well, it's settled then. The Lord Commander is as good as dead."


To the party, "With this in mind, maybe we should have killed the boatman when we had the chance?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 06, 2014, 01:40:58 PM
Mayor
 
"Good, good, thank you for your help...your efforts will feed a lot of mouths! Now drink and rest...we will get your horses ready for you with all the supplies you need. Tomorrow morning at dawn, you will be guided to the most suitable spot"
 
The mayor stands up: "With your permission, I shall retire"
 
The Innkeeper inquires: "One more round of drinks on the house?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 06, 2014, 01:57:04 PM
Does the Mayor leave the building? Is anyone else with him?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 06, 2014, 02:42:50 PM
If the group doesn't have any more questions, the Mayor wishes the last patrons goodnight and leaves the building alone. The last other guests heartily return the wishes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 07, 2014, 06:55:50 AM
Auris excuses himself directly when the mayor takes his leave, and asks for the outhouse. On the way (back), he deliberately takes a wrong turn in the hope of seeing where the mayor lives. He'll follow in the shadows for a few minutes if needed.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 07, 2014, 07:55:16 AM
Auris (and Duror?) have no problems following the mayor...he walks to one of the houses in the village. It looks slightly better, but not much, and enters it. He doesn't exit the building until next morning.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 07, 2014, 05:36:27 PM
Does anyone else enter or exit, or do I see pidgeons depart? If not, Auris returns after 30-40 minutes or so.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 07, 2014, 07:06:40 PM
Duror


Duror will slip on the ring out of sight from the townsfolk and scope out the mayor's house. Are there any windows?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2014, 07:33:37 AM
There are windows, but they have shutters that are bolted from the inside.
 
No pidgeons or other people that enter the building
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 08, 2014, 12:54:17 PM
Duror will return to the group, removing his ring while out of sight of any townspeople, and retire for the night.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 08, 2014, 02:20:40 PM
The group has a great night's rest. Being clean and in a warm and comfortable bed is an experience you relish after the hardships, ash and gore that Mordor brought you.
 
The next morning you are pleasantly awoken by the Innkeper's daughter and the smell of freshly baked bread. You are treated with a simple but heart breakfast with the comment of the wife: "you boys will need your strength today"
 
After breakfast, the innkeeper proudly shows you to your horses. The horses you'll be riding on all have fresh shoeing and are equiped with rope, rations, etc. You have no idea what's in the food the Rohirrim give their horses, but it must have some special ingredient, because the horses look in much better shape then when you left them yesterday.
 
Whilst you are inspecting your horses, the mayor comes walking into the stables with a small boy no older than 11 years. "Ah, here you are. This is Toah...he's our resident adventurer" he smiles and amiably gives the boy a pad on the head "he knows the hills better than anyone I know, much to the despair of his parents...he will show you the best place to..." He stops turns to the boy "Come on...go get your pony" The boy runs off...
 
"No need for him to know or see what you'll be doing...please be so kind to dismiss him once you are comfortable with the location. I hope everything is to your satisfaction. If you have any more questions please let me know. You shouldn't tarry to long"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 08, 2014, 04:05:16 PM
"pleasantly awoken by the Innkeper's daughter" can mean many things...  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 08, 2014, 06:22:09 PM
Indeed, Auris might take advantage of that if she is so inclined (and mature enough)  :lol:

Anyway, even if Auris is a few minutes late for breakfast, he eats heartily, is in a most satisfactory mood, checks his gear (especially gauntlet and scepter) and mounts up.

"Of course, lord mayor, we'll ensure no harm comes to him, physically or spiritually."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 11, 2014, 08:10:16 AM
Without any further ado, the group sets out...the boy fairly soon leads you up on a trail into the hills. You seem to move further and further into the hills, when suddenly you're at a spot overlooking the road you were on earlier.
 
The boy comments: "I look at travellers from here sometimes. And shoot small rocks at them..." he smiles mischievously "The only way to get up here is to climb on foot, so I'm long gone by the time they get here.
 
As you look down, you estimate it to be a good 100' down to the road. No problem for a good composite or longbow. On the other side of the road are some trees. You could hide some people there as well if you want to have some people on the ground as well. You could hide some horses further in the woods, but the escape wouldn't be as easy as from the overlook.
 
ooc: please plan and let me know how you aim to set up the ambush
 
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 11, 2014, 03:33:22 PM
Auris

"Very well, lad - thank you. Now be a good boy, and head home - then I daresay your father will not hold your throwing of pebbles against you, and be proud of his son.

Duror, could you please escort him back for a bit?"

Auris clearly doesn't want any living witnesses, let alone a small boy with more curiosity than is good for him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 12, 2014, 01:01:36 PM
Duror obliges and escorts the boy from the ambush site.  :mellow:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 12, 2014, 01:14:47 PM
The boy protests loudly "Ah, please let me stay, I won't bother you and won't tell anyone!!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 12, 2014, 01:15:58 PM
Duror, "Lad, I think it's best you follow me."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 12, 2014, 01:27:46 PM
Boy: "Why?...this is my spot, you owe me!...please nothing ever happens around here"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 12, 2014, 04:05:26 PM
Duror, "Why, because we say so." Duror approaches him menacingly and looks him in the eye (since they're about the same height... :lol: )
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 12, 2014, 07:31:06 PM
Auris

Overhearing the conversation, Auris interjects "and because if you don't obey, you'd wish nothing ever had happened here!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 13, 2014, 07:29:52 AM
The boy startles and runs to his pony...just when you turn your back on him, you're hit by a small rock...you hear him gallop off in the distance
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 13, 2014, 08:17:59 AM
Auris

"Aww - bloody imp!

I'd say we keep an eye out, that kid is as likely as not to come back"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 15, 2014, 08:08:15 AM
Auris climbs to a vantage point, and sees a dust cloud. Realising time is short, he decends, and asks the rest to move /throw boulders down to aid in the plan.

"And beware of that kid, he wasn't visible, not even the dust of his pony".

OOC: any indication from the dustcloud how many horsemen approach?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 18, 2014, 10:37:05 AM
The dust clouds indicates multiple riders, but not a big group (big ="army regiment")
 
You can roll boulders on the road below, but not enough to block the road, it will force them to slow down though
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 18, 2014, 10:44:39 AM

You can roll boulders on the road below, but not enough to block the road, it will force them to slow down though

That's the idea ;)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 18, 2014, 01:37:24 PM
Nameless

Will join in with the faux landslide generation

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 18, 2014, 01:49:19 PM
So will Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 18, 2014, 01:53:31 PM
Auris makes his way down, to his compagnons.

"Excellent guys, thanks! Just do me a favor and stop rolling them down once I get down too!"

Then he begins his own decend, a hunderd meters or so further on so that bolders don't hit him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 18, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
Nameless

Smiles and then follows with a couple small rocks or two, well away from Auris, to show the tail-end of the slide bounding down the hill. He then moves to wherever the party decided to wait.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 19, 2014, 07:47:05 AM
Quote
He then moves to wherever the party decided to wait.

Can everyone indicate their definite position and then make a hiding roll?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 19, 2014, 08:25:51 AM
Auris will be at the far end of the 'landslide' (relative to the incoming horsemen), but not hiding - he'll be visible, and calling for help. He'll take a position that is such that he'll be able to strike something - even if it's just a horse - with his gauntlet even if the group decides to ignore him utterly.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 19, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
Richard will be near Auris but Hiding; he'll plan to use the ice bolts and then strike with the sword.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 19, 2014, 11:03:08 PM
Quote
He then moves to wherever the party decided to wait.

Can everyone indicate their definite position and then make a hiding roll?

** Did you post a map?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 20, 2014, 05:36:08 PM
Duror will slip on his ring and prepare for the ambush.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 20, 2014, 10:26:54 PM
Nameless

Hides among the trees and is very very quiet

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 21, 2014, 07:14:35 AM
Auris

Upon noticing Richard isn't hidden that well, he urges him to go a bit deeper into hiding (in a low voice, obviously).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 27, 2014, 12:25:59 PM
Auris

When the riders get closer, Auris takes his position.

When they're close, he starts shouting:

"Gentlemen, help!

I'm stuck! Accursed landslides!

Help please!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on August 27, 2014, 04:56:07 PM
Duror, still invisible, will ready his warhammer for the attack.  :mellow:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2014, 08:38:27 AM
A group of 9 riders approach the group. 4 soldiers in front, 4 in the back and the commander in the middle. The soldiers wear chainmail with metal breastplates, helmets and greaves. The 4 soldiers in front carry lances with small banners, swords and shields. The 4 in the back have small crossbows,  swords and shields. The horses have no armor.
 
The commander is similarly armored, but wears no helmet and wears a tabbard depicting the Gondorian emblem that is also visible on the banners and shield.
 
(http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp149/LeoCustoms/LOTR/1439-GondorianSoldierwithHorseBanne.jpg)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2014, 08:43:46 AM
Upon seeing the landslide and Auris trapped, the group stop at a distance (60'/20 meters). The soldiers immediately take a defensive position. One of the lancers leaves the group and moves forward to take a closer look.
 
The formation looks like this:

Front
 
          L       L       L
           Cr    C    Cr
              Cr    Cr

Back
 
L= Lancer
Cr=Crossbow
C=Commander
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2014, 08:47:51 AM
The lone lancer approaches Auris up to (15'/5 metres) and looks around above and to the trees and asks: "You travel alone?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2014, 09:53:23 AM
Lancer:
 
"Answer me!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 28, 2014, 10:03:54 AM
Auris

"Argh.

Yes, I'm alone, and my @$(*^&% horse ran off too.

Got a rock to my head."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2014, 10:33:49 AM
Lancer:
 
"You don't look hurt...what brings you on this road?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 28, 2014, 02:23:46 PM
"I spend time in the south, but wanted to see my father before he died, so I'm on my way northwest. Then I lost my way, and to make things worse, falling rock hit me.

argh, my head."

Auris makes strange movements with his head and eyes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 28, 2014, 04:58:05 PM
Richard unsheathes his sword, ready to use its lightning bolts at Auris' signal.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on August 28, 2014, 07:33:43 PM
"You're lying...this route runs east and you're not hurt"

He lowers his lance, not pointing at Auris, but downwards to the ground

Almost immediately you see the lancers in the backgroud do the same. The crossbowmen and the commander start turning their horses in order to ride away
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 28, 2014, 10:59:30 PM
...
Almost immediately you see the lancers in the backgroud do the same. The crossbowmen and the commander start turning their horses in order to ride away

Upon the signal, Nameless will Teleport behind the group (at the spot at the bottom of the triangle) hoping to startle the horses and block/slow their departure (with lots of yells and pokes at the unarmored horses)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on August 29, 2014, 05:26:23 PM
Auris

Auris whistles loudly, hoping the rest will understand that as the sign for the attack now the initial plan has failed.

If the commander or someone else in his group is hit by any ranged ability, Auris will move forward to join any melee, placing boulders between him and the horses is any turn towards him to trample him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on August 29, 2014, 09:12:43 PM
Nameless

Activates the armor's Teleport ability and attempts to scare/startle the horses in the back with his sudden appearance, smell, loud noises etc.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 22, 2014, 04:12:54 PM
Round 0:
 
The horses startle. One crossbowman and the commander have trouble getting there horse under control. They don't fall off, but lose their ability to act.
 
The other 3 crossbowmen, shoot at Nameless from point blank range...Nameless wth the aid of his armor, moves like neo in the matrix and dodges the bolts or deflects them from his armor. He emerges unscathed. The commander shouts: "Run him down!"
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 22, 2014, 04:23:06 PM
Start of round 1:
 
- 4 lancers face Auris in a defensive stance, they were waiting for an answer, but are now obviously aware of the fact this is an ambush (they are 15' away from Auris and facing him)
- The commander has regained control of his horse and together with the 4 mounted crossbowmen will run down Nameless (this group is at 60' from Auris and facing the other way)
 
- Auris is still pretending to be injured (although not convincingly)
- Richard is hiding among the trees (a further 15' away from Auris)
- Duror is invisible (not sure where he is exactly)
 
ooc: please roll initiative (this roll will determine the sequence for the rest of the combat scene!), declare actions and roll appropriate dice for round 1
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 23, 2014, 08:33:18 AM
Round 1 resolution:
 
1. Auris: gets up and runs to the side of the road where the canyon is
2. Richard: An icebolt comes flying from the treeline and hits the commander square in the back. He gasps for air and then falls from his horse. The horse stays at this side
3. Nameless: Runs between the horses of the crossbowmen, towards the commander and sees him falling...he's (at least) unconscious when he hits the ground
4. The crossbowmen hear their commander fall and turn their horses to see. Two unsheath their swords. One shouts: "the commander is down!" and dismounts his horse
5. Upon hearing the commander is down, two lancers ride towards the treeline, one turns his horse and starts riding towards the others
6. Duror remains invisible and Mobius is still in hiding
 
ooc: please declare actions for round 2 and roll appropriate dice (the sequence is now set, with the exception of Duror)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 23, 2014, 12:57:32 PM
Duror


Still invisible will move towards the Commander. He will try to attack/ kill him using his lightning bolt attack (attunded Hammer of Durin). He is our target, right?  :mellow:


Initiative Roll


Rolled 2d10+8 : 3, 8 + 8, total 19
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 23, 2014, 03:13:21 PM
ooc: @ Duror please see personal thread
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 23, 2014, 11:14:38 PM
Nameless

Converges on the Commander as well, striking as he lay (or rises to his feet).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 25, 2014, 07:23:10 AM
Richard climbs down from the rocks to help in the attack on the horsemen. (Thanks for the fumble, Jaeru.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on September 25, 2014, 12:09:02 PM
Auris will taunt the 4 lancers after he reached the canyon wall. Full parry with his gauntlet if attacked, but he will try to jump away from the big unwieldy lancers, letting them crash into the wall, if at all possible.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 25, 2014, 05:03:39 PM
Round 2 resolution:
 
1. Auris: reaches the side of the hill and taunts the lancers, they ignore him
2. Richard: jumps out of hiding and sees two lancers ride his way
3. Nameless: is able to strike the commander. the body flinches when stabbed...he's dead
4. Duror: becomes visible and sends a lightning bolt at the body of the commander...it flinches again, but now because of the electrical charge...you smell singed hair
5. The crossbowman that climbed down strikes Nameless in the back: the armor protects Nameless. The other two ride towards Duror and will attack him (charge) on round three
6. The two lancers moving towards Richard see him and charge with their lances. They attack (lance charge) with automatic initiative win on round 3. The third lancer charges Nameless and will also have automatic initiative next round
 
ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on September 30, 2014, 11:52:49 AM
Round 3 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on September 30, 2014, 02:41:03 PM
Duror   
 
Will go invisible (use the ring).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on September 30, 2014, 11:48:54 PM
Nameless

Switching tactics, he charges the lancer (#3), swinging at his legs.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 01, 2014, 07:14:33 AM
Round 4 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 01, 2014, 11:08:02 PM
Nameless

Presses his attack on the Lancer in front of him, trying to manuever so that the Lancer's horse blocks the Crossbowman's attack.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 02, 2014, 07:44:03 AM
Round 5 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 02, 2014, 09:30:16 PM
Nameless

"Guys ... a little help before someone gets lucky ... " he stabs the lancer's horse. Perhaps it might panic and clear some space.

** Feel free to target Nameless' area w say a fireball or such ... Might just glance off of the armor. :)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 06, 2014, 08:00:10 AM
Round 6 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 07, 2014, 02:28:40 PM
Mobius continues to hide, crouching behind any convenient rock.  Assessing the grims situation below, He begins to prepare Phantasm.  In his mind, he begins detailing the image of an enormous boulder, loosened by the slide, toppling over the escarpment and rolling like a great ball of death down towards the horsemen.  His hope is that they will see it, but his companions will not.  In his crackly, strident, inner voice he chortles,

"Think I'll call this one  Ninepins!  Heh heh heh!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 07, 2014, 04:12:13 PM
Round 7 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 07, 2014, 11:25:14 PM
Nameless, shrugging off the one crossbowman, attempts to split the other in two.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 10, 2014, 11:22:23 AM
Round 8 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 10, 2014, 11:52:23 AM
Mobius peeks over the top of the rock concealing his little body.  Seeing Aulis' sorry state and Duror's deft recovery, he hesitates.  He continues to prepare the spell (as most recently described in his dice-rolling thread).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 10, 2014, 11:44:49 PM
Nameless

Turns from the downed crossbowman (#3), ignores the retreating crossbowman (#2) and attacks the lancer who struck at him (#3).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 14, 2014, 07:00:04 AM
Round 9 resolution:
 ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 14, 2014, 09:22:47 PM
Nameless

Presses his attack against the Lancer (#3).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 15, 2014, 12:20:57 PM
Mobius, peeking out from his hiding place, surveys the frightening scene below. 

"Things have gone from bad to worse!" he mutters to himself.  He casts his spell:

A great 5' boulder rolling rapidly down the hill, headed straight for the enemy.  Along with it a grinding sound: the crushing cacophony of an of an avalanche!

With any remaining action, Mobius jumps out from behind his rock and shouts:

"Look out below!  It's headed straight for you!  Oh no!  I can't look!"

But in his mind, he cackles to himself  "Ninepins!  Heh heh heh!  Get it?  Ninepins! Heh heh heh heh heh!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 15, 2014, 01:46:42 PM
ooc: everyone please roll RR magic roll in personal thread to see if you believe its real, Mobius please roll the "attack roll" to see if you cast successfully and to set the RR level
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 17, 2014, 07:32:01 AM
Round 10 resolution:
 At the beginning of round 11the boulder crashes into Nameless, but passes right through him, thereby shattering the illusion

ooc: please declare actions, split OB in attack and parry and roll for attacks (if attack(ed))
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 17, 2014, 12:50:43 PM
Mobius looks down in satisfaction at the great boulder hurtling down the hillside.  He tilts his head to one side in thought, never taking his eyes off the boulder. 

He knows what his companions are thinking:

"What on the earth or under the earth is that crazy gnome doing?"

And the thought pleases him.  Perhaps Mobius will reward his companions tonight with a little song celebrating his... I mean the team's... imminent victory over the horsemen.  If they're nice to him.

Jaeru, since Mobius' action is not likely to be evident to the rest of the party, I've posted it in his personal thread for your review.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 17, 2014, 09:42:45 PM
Nameless

Looks at the boulder, hopes the armor is proof against tons of stone and then is relieved when bounds through him ... whew!

"Hey where'd they all go?"

** Nameless moves to his closest foe - Lancer 2?

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 20, 2014, 07:36:30 AM
Round 11 resolution:
 ooc: The fleeing Gondorian knights are only in range for Richard (2 shots left) and Duror (4 shots left). The rest can do nothing about them fleeing now.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 20, 2014, 10:30:58 AM
Mobius leaps to the top of a nearby rock and shakes his wizened little fist at the fleeing attackers.

"How'd ya like that, you filthy rogues?" he cries, "Want some  more?"

Then he begins to dance a quirky, jerky jig and sings in his cracked, strident voice -- sort of a cross between Vizzini from the Princess Bride and the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.   It's a rap!

They call me Mobius!  'Cause I'm twisted!
I got spells that ain't even listed!
I chant and intone while reality bends!
'Cause like a Mobius strip, this trip never ends!

They call me Mobius...
My skills are copious...

I'll confuse you with sound!  I'll dazzle you with light!
That's why you never bring a knife to a gnome-fight!
The fighters all are bleedin' while I'm rackin' up kills!
'Cause I'm the gnomey Homey with the maddest skills!

They call me Mobius...
My skills are copious...
When it looks hope-a-less...
You call Mobius!

Heh heh heh heh heh!
Heh heh heh!
Heh heh!
Heh!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 20, 2014, 11:39:35 AM
Auris sees the two escape, and considers the ambush a failure. In his rage, he walks to all bodies that lie on the ground, and begins hitting them with his gauntlet in frustration. The same goes for any wounded horses.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 20, 2014, 09:33:54 PM
Auris sees the two escape, and considers the ambush a failure. In his rage, he walks to all bodies that lie on the ground, and begins hitting them with his gauntlet in frustration. The same goes for any wounded horses.

Nameless looks about and asks, 'Did we get the one they wanted dead?'
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2014, 06:15:13 AM
Auris comes to his senses - a bit.

"Yes, but those that got away will have tales to tell. They needed to be all dead. Dead!"

He wackes with his gauntlet one last time.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2014, 07:17:43 AM
Just before everyone thinks the two knights get away...Duror re-appears and fires two lightningbolts at the knights...both hit their target in the back at 300' and 400' and the two knights jolt in their saddles as the electric energy grips their bodies, then fall from their horses and lie still on the ground

Duror then sits down...and starts to look very, very pale from the bloodloss incurred
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2014, 07:22:26 AM
As Auris slaps the 5 bodies with his gauntlet (including the lord), 4 of the bodies have their souls ripped from their bodies...a ghastly wail can be heard everytime that happens. The last one was already dead.
 
ooc: does Auris walk over to the two remaining knights in the distance?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2014, 07:56:58 AM
Auris does indeed walk over to the last ones in the distance, and will make doubly sure they are "exspirited"  ;evil).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2014, 08:51:09 AM
Both bodies can't be "exspirited" by Auris...on further inspection one was already dead, but the other is merely unconscious
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2014, 09:37:07 AM
Does he look like someone with valuable intel, or more a lowly soldier.

If the latter, Auris will kill him with the gauntlet. The only PoWs he's interested in, are undead.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2014, 10:18:38 AM
Not a lowly soldier, his armor is too fancy for that...but a mere soldier nonetheless...he's no officer
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2014, 10:51:01 AM
Too bad for him.

And if his armor is fancy, Auris will look for valuables, and take them.

once returned to the rest, he'll ask the others to do the same.

"let's strip them of any valuables, we'll have to make it look like a robbery. Stuff that's too heavy or could be incriminating we can bury several miles away.

unless you propose to bury the corpses and make the entire party vanish from the face of the earth, but that would be a tough one"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 21, 2014, 12:03:55 PM
Finishing his merry tune with a strident "Whoop!" and a "Hey nonny nonny and a gnome, gnome, gnome!"  Mobius clambers down to the site of the main battle as quickly as his little legs will allow.   He approaches Auris, panting and exhausted, and asks "Any gems?  Hey!  Any gems?  Any gems?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2014, 12:31:33 PM
The group doesn't find a lot of gems and such, but the knights were carrying quite a bit of cash (25gp in total) one of them has a note with some adresses on it, with names that can only relate to establishments with women of pleasure. They were obviously planning to have a several day long party in the regional capital.

They were all riding lesser warhorses (20gp fair market value *6) and wearing full chain mail armor with full shields and swords.
 
The lord has a golden necklace with a gem and a ring with his seal on him. He also has a very nice full plate armor and was riding a greater warhorse (75gp fair market value) and was carrying 10 gp in cash on him
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 21, 2014, 12:40:23 PM
"Ooh!" coos Mobius, fingering the necklace.  Taking his trusty jeweler's loupe from his waistcoat-pocket, he holds the trinket's gem and setting up to the brightest part of the sky and examines it closely.

"Hmmm... let me see... is it precious?  Is it delightfully wonderful?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 21, 2014, 12:46:39 PM
Duror, "After you're done pillaging the bodies, I can use some healing before I die."  :ill:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 21, 2014, 01:12:49 PM
"Oh, all right, all right," whines Mobius, deftly pocketing the necklace.  "I see how it is!  First I have to get you out of a dangerous scrape, without so much as a thankee-most-kindly, and now I have to tend your wounds without so much as an if-you-please!  But after all, why not, eh?  I'm just a gnome!

Mobius quickly assesses Duror's injuries and prepares Major Healing, making a big deal of the verbal and gestural components.  His histrionics are as absurd and hammish as possible while still genuinely concentrating.

"Hic Jacet in Presepio!
Et lux et sango misca!
I'll heal these hurts 'neath bloodied shirts
And not even leave a blista!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2014, 01:36:11 PM
Auris turns away from Mobius' antics. He sees no reason to make a point of his mix-up of arcane human languages. He's more worried about his own rage just a few minutes ago. That was not how he prefers to handle things.

Auris gathers the horses, he sees no reason to let them go to waste.

OOC: we do need to get back to the village to get proper papers etc ofr those horses, or do we already have them for our own, and is this just a bonus - with the village not expecting us back?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 21, 2014, 02:13:26 PM
ooc: no, no...you need to get back for papers...and should bring back proof
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 21, 2014, 02:21:23 PM
After the horses are collected - Auris loves the easy following nature of military horses, otherwise he'd never be able to handle beasts several times his own size - he looks for the commanders corpse, and asks:

"Anyone handy with a knife? I guess we need to bring back his head."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 22, 2014, 02:33:10 AM
Nameless

Ponders the bodies and the chance for upgrades to his likely woe-fully inadequate gear (armor not included of course :) ).

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 22, 2014, 07:56:16 AM
Nameless finds crossbows, full shields (+30 to db), longswords...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 22, 2014, 08:43:13 AM
Aurius

"No matter, it doesn't need to be done nicely." Auris avails himself of the bloody decapitation task.

And to Nameless: "anything on them I might be able to use? An extra dagger never goes amiss"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 22, 2014, 09:59:28 AM
After the body is decapitated, Auris puts the head in some cloth. He then ties the feet of the corpse to his horse, so it will be dragged along; he hopes that has the twin benefits of allowing him to dump the corpse in some ravine or cave, and mistreat it so much that it will be hard to recognize - perhaps even so much that it becomes unclear has been decapitated or was just stuck behind a rock as it was dragged along.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 22, 2014, 10:24:55 AM
Richard picks a good shield from the fallen.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 22, 2014, 12:41:41 PM
Duror- Are there any shields appropriate for smaller-folk?  :rolleyes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 22, 2014, 12:54:22 PM
ooc: Well a full shield would be a wall shield for a Dwarf I think...or maybe even bigger, so no not really
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 22, 2014, 12:56:32 PM
Quote
Mobius quickly assesses Duror's injuries and prepares Major Healing, making a big deal of the verbal and gestural components.  His histrionics are as absurd and hammish as possible while still genuinely concentrating.

"Hic Jacet in Presepio!
Et lux et sango misca!
I'll heal these hurts 'neath bloodied shirts
And not even leave a blista!"


Duror tries to perform first aid on himself and bind himself, unsure of what the Gnome is doing. He actually fails to bind himself due to the Gnome's loud chanting...cursing under his breath he attempts a second time and is able to stop the bleeding with some makeshift bandaging
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 22, 2014, 01:15:32 PM
Mobius heaves a heavy sigh, wags his shaggy head, and curses under his breath.

"Duror, stop squirming so!  It can't hurt that much!  See, now you've ruined everything!  Now stand very, very still!"

Bric-a-bracka!  Firecracka!  Sis Boom Bah!
By the Power of Greyskull, I'll heal this arm!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 22, 2014, 10:11:20 PM
Nameless

Says to the others, "Better gear than what we scavenged from the Orcs ... "

He outfits himself with a new sword, shield, crossbow, bolts and a spare dagger or two. Then looks for purses, loose change, good shoes and the like.

"We making this look like what? Bandits? orcs? Trolls? Dragon? Fire?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 23, 2014, 07:14:25 AM
ooc: assuming the monetary findings are split equally...everyone gets/finds 5gp in cash
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 23, 2014, 09:16:38 AM
Auris

Tucks his 5 gp away safely in his purse (also looted, of course). After grabbing 2 small daggers (one in his boot, the other behind his belt) and such accessories that make him look more respectable, he answers Nameless.

"Bandits are our best bet. Saves use a whole lot of burning too."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 23, 2014, 05:02:19 PM
Mobius palms the 5 gold coins with a grimace.

"I never worked for so little," he mutters.  "Fellows, when are we going to find some real work?  Eh?  Isn't there a temple we can sack, or a caravan we could waylay?  I've got to think of my retirement, ya know!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 23, 2014, 09:47:15 PM
Nameless

Pockets his 5, adjusts new gear and observes, "I was thinking of a business around rental of this armor. :) "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 24, 2014, 08:49:15 AM
ooc: Please roleplay and let me know what the group will do next now that they've pocketed their change. I'd like to know what you intend to do with the corpses, the Gondorian horses, your own horses (up on the ridge) etc.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 24, 2014, 11:51:02 AM
Mobius, much amused, laughs loudly and overlong at Nameless' clever witticism:

"Heh heh heh!  Heh Heh!  Armor Rentals!  Heh heh Heh Heh!  A good business...

If you've got the mettle for it!

Get it?  Heh heh heh!  Mettle?

Then Mobius looks expectantly from face to face as if he expects the group to burst into uncontrollable laughter.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 24, 2014, 12:01:50 PM
Auris smiles at Mobius. "Well done, sir!" and he bows briefly.

"Now, shall we get to work again? I tied the commander's body to the horses, and will take all those horses, including our own, back to the village. They need to be whitewashed, afterall. I suggest we dump the commander's corpse somewhere along the way in a cave, ravine or pit. Leave the other bodies, I'd say. Did we forget anything?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 24, 2014, 12:55:53 PM
ooc: the other horses are on top of the ridge...you need to travel in two groups if you want to collect both group of horses
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 24, 2014, 01:08:44 PM
Delighted by Auris' recognition, Mobius dances a little jig of happiness, and sets to work helping his companions "clean up" and prepare for the next move.  He sings softly under his breath:

O cleaning the scene is a noble thing
Makes you laugh and makes you sing
Don't leave your litter by the side of the road!
Bury those bodies in a deep, deep hole!

O Bury those bodies in a deep, deep hole!

Know the techniques of the able thief
Plunder the pockets and pull gold teeth!
Tear out linings and feel for gold
Ere you bury those bodies in a deep, deep hole


O Bury those bodies in a deep, deep hole!

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 24, 2014, 05:12:55 PM
Duror, grimacing through the pain, "We should leave all the bodies and either kill or scatter the horses to make it look like they were ambushed by orcs. Do we still have orc clothing or armor from our time in Mordor? We can take something from the commander to prove to the villagers the deed was done without carrying him back."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 24, 2014, 08:30:58 PM
ooc: the other horses are on top of the ridge...you need to travel in two groups if you want to collect both group of horses

Only till we reach the top of the ridge, right? Besides, we left our own horses on top without anyone to babysit them, so we could ride out of the canyon with the horses we just captured, and then add to those our own. unless that's impossible, that's what Auris will suggest.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 25, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
Nameless

Chuckles in response to Mobious' mettle pun. He says to the others, "The gear I am leaving behind was Orc make. That will help. I'd rather free the horses than kill them, but would prefer to keep or sell them if we can. "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 25, 2014, 07:26:32 PM
Ooc: you can't bring the horses tot the top of the ridge...it's too steep for them. That was the whole idea of this ambush spot. That said, it should be easy enough to bring both groups of horses back if you split the group. That is unless you expect some trouble when heading back
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 27, 2014, 08:27:02 AM
The group splits up and rides back to town. Duror and Mobius take the horses on top of the ridge back, while Richard Nameless and Auris take the warhorses. The corpses of the Gondorian knights are left behind, with some Orcish items strewn near them to make it appear like an Orc raid. The decapitated corpse of the lord is tied to the back of Auris' horse. Auris himself is also tied/strapped in his saddle, as his headwound (a severe concussion) and the accompanying dizziness makes it difficult for him to ride (still at -30).
 
After a while the group taking the low road find an overgrown ditch where they leave the now mangled and decapitated corpse of the lord.
 
The rest of the journey is uneventful. When the group comes back at the inn, the innkeeper greets you warmly. When he sees you covered in blood and gore, he rushes you in his inn looking around making sure people don't see you in that state. Inside you are whisked up to your rooms and provided with proper baths to get cleaned up as soon as possible. "We'll speak tonight, but for now rest and get yourself cleaned" the innkeeper says to the group.
 
In the evening the group is brought down for dinner and find the mayor sitting at their table..."Please, please, sit down and tell me everything..."
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 27, 2014, 08:39:43 AM
Auris

Auris, now recovered to the extent he can enjoy a dinner, talks about what happens, but with so few details the mayor will have to ask for more. As the mayor presses him for more info, he simply says: "well, my lord, the details are at your feet. Do with them what you think best."

At that point he gives a slight kick to a cloth-wrapped package he brought to dinner and positioned near his feet. he kicks it in the direction of the mayor (all under the table ofc, the rest doesn't need to see it).

Of course, this package contains the severed head. (Auris wants to freighten the villagers, hopefully reducing the chance that they later betray the group)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 27, 2014, 10:27:04 AM
The mayor startles as something hits his feet. He bends over to open it up and gasps and almosts falls over backwards when he is greeted by the head of the Gondorian lord he exclaims: "My god! Why on earth have you brought that here?!?" The mayor pales visibly at the sight
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 27, 2014, 02:49:50 PM
Auris

"Let there be no doubt, we take care of the details. Now if you want those details elsewhere, that can be arranged.

By the way, this liver tastes great - really nice cooking."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 27, 2014, 04:39:38 PM
Duror to the Mayor, "Good question. Consider it proof of services rendered."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 27, 2014, 04:46:27 PM
The Mayor:
 
"My goodness, that's...just...horrible..." in a more hushed tone, suddenly aware of his surroundings "You can't bring that here! If someone sees we'll all be executed!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 27, 2014, 05:17:13 PM
Auris

"Your lordship, no-one but you has seen it. If you dislike it, we'll take it with us again when we go. Which reminds me, how are those new papers for all our horses coming along?"

and in a much louder voice, to the nearest person acting as a waiter:

"Splendid red wine too, I could do with another cup, if you could be so kind"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 27, 2014, 05:27:57 PM
Mayor
 
Taken aback by the cold-hearted nature of the halfling stammers: "Those, those have been taken care off of course" He gets up from the table "I will make sure everything is ready in the morning...we'll provide you with papers and directions to the regional horse fair not far from here...you should leave in the morning" he turns around to walk away, pauzes then turns back and says: "The village and I thank you for your help...I trust you will be discrete about our arrangement. The innkeeper will see to it that you will want for nothing. Good day to you sirs"
 
He then leaves the table. You can see him say something to the Innkeeper and he then walks out of the Inn. The innkeeper promptly comes to your table to pour some more wine. You can see him try to sneak a peek at the head below the table, but he says nothing of it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 27, 2014, 05:45:01 PM
Duror will try and get some rest, but will sleep with one eye open because he doesn't trust the mayor.  :rolleyes:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 27, 2014, 06:17:45 PM
Möbius avoids the wine completely.  Too convenient for the mayor to keep his little secret quiet by assassinating the assassins.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 27, 2014, 06:41:31 PM
The rest of the evening is uneventful. However, just before the group decides to retire Mobius' chest is starting to talk (I assume Mobius is wearing the gem he took for safety)
 
It sounds muffled, but it seems to be calling out: "Lord Tahor, are you there?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 27, 2014, 11:52:08 PM
The rest of the evening is uneventful. However, just before the group decides to retire Mobius' chest is starting to talk (I assume Mobius is wearing the gem he took for safety)
 
It sounds muffled, but it seems to be calling out: "Lord Tahor, are you there?"

** Chest as in torso or chest as in container?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 28, 2014, 07:41:52 AM
Mobius' torso
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 28, 2014, 12:17:20 PM
Mobius turnes as pale as a ghost and grabs at his chest.

"Must have been something I ate!  Or someone.... (laughs nervously)....

Um, fellows... I think it's time for a little private group meeting...

Mobius hustles his little gmonish body to the nearest place where no one can overhear, and puts his hand over the diadem under his clothes.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 28, 2014, 01:09:00 PM
The gem is silent until the group reaches Mobius' room. The gem promptly asks: "Lord Tahor can you talk?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 28, 2014, 01:20:41 PM
Duror, whispering, "Best we either act as the Lord or destroy the gem."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 28, 2014, 01:24:13 PM
Are we alone?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 28, 2014, 01:34:52 PM
Mobius nods to his companions and mouths the words "I've got this..."; he takes a deep breath...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 28, 2014, 01:49:57 PM
ooc: you are alone
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 28, 2014, 03:52:26 PM
Auris nods, but has his gauntlet at the ready.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 29, 2014, 12:15:32 PM
Ensuring that the stone is completely covered with a cloth, and grasping it tightly in his fist, Mobius attempts Duping: pretending to have a mouthful  of food, and making loud chewing and gulping noises to help mask his voice, Mobius says gruffly into the stone, in his best "annoyed nobleman" voice:

"I'm eating.  Report!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 29, 2014, 01:34:56 PM
The voice from the gem sternly asks: "Who is this?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 29, 2014, 03:09:01 PM
Mobius smiles, undaunted.  He's nothing if not confident!  With a wink to his comrades, he continues, this time gulping and slurping as if he's drinking, secretly hoping the voice on the other end of the stone belongs to someone more gullible than appearances presently indicate, and that inebriation may serve to explain any difference in voice or demeanor.

"Enough of this.  (gulp) You heard me.  (slurp) Go on! (belch)".
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 29, 2014, 03:17:19 PM
Auris

The halfling expects trouble now, did they arouse a more formidable foe? He casts a worried look at Mobius.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 29, 2014, 04:02:50 PM
The voice from the gem is silent for a moment, then responds: "Ha, clever...but Tahor would never adress me like that. I gather he is no longer among the living, or has he allowed himself to be stolen from like a fool?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 29, 2014, 04:05:33 PM
Mobius frowns with disgust at yet another of his obvious failures.  Summoning a weak smile he turns to his companions for inspiration.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 29, 2014, 04:40:21 PM
Auris

Speaks up, making a handmovement indicating the rest must remain silent.

"Oh. he is a fool allright. And a coward too - he ran and ran after the disgrace of being tricked so easily. I gather he is collecting leaves now to cover his naked body. In the meantime, I guess you just increased the value of this trinket!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 29, 2014, 05:08:56 PM
Möbius nods, hoping to appear wise and sagacious.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on October 29, 2014, 05:27:27 PM
Duror, shaking his head at the failed ruse, begins to gather his gear for a quick escape that will soon follow.  :lol:

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 29, 2014, 08:46:24 PM

The voice in the gem:

"I see, I see a brave thief it is...I could use a clever fellow such as yourself. Do tell me, how did you get him to undress and part with this 'trinket' so easily?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 29, 2014, 09:23:23 PM
Auris

"Let's say he expected delights, rather than expropriation, and that helped speed the process along quite nicely. But, dear sir, if you want it hire my services, an introduction would be in order."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 29, 2014, 09:56:59 PM
The voice from the gem:


"I have seen and heard more than you can imagine Young Hobbit...I can tell when someone's bluffing...before we formally introduce ourselves, I would like to know exactly what happened and how you got my property into your possession"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 29, 2014, 10:26:47 PM
Auris

"Now that last bit is not quite accurate anymore. I regret that on that basis, we can't do business."

Auris then drops the amulet in a tankard of ale. Upon seeing the looks of his compagnions faces, he explains:

"I assume he can hear through that amulet as well. But I doubt he'll be able to eavesdrop through half a pint of ale. So, what are we going to do with this? Shall i try to wrest control of the item? Or shall we toss it in a ditch somewhere? And, last but not least, what are the chances this guy knows our location as well?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on October 29, 2014, 11:33:46 PM
Nameless

Suggests, "Crush it with one of our artifacts - speaking gems only house evil spirits ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on October 29, 2014, 11:56:52 PM
"Let's play along," suggests Möbius, regretfully eying both the gem and the beverage.  "Could be an opportunity!  Tell it we need an advance!  In gems!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on October 30, 2014, 07:52:18 AM
you can hear a muffled voice coming from the ale, but can't understand what's being said
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on October 30, 2014, 08:02:49 AM
OOC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFxwxBzKk4
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 03, 2014, 03:03:38 PM
Auris

"Let's buy ourselves some time. Leave the thing in the ale till we sorted our affairs here, are well fed and provisioned, and ready to move on. I think that whatever the other side has in mind, it won't contribute to our peace and quiet. Let's maximize our starting position for the next adventure. I reckon that by not responding, we at least can delay any action from that mysterious guy on the other side.

When all is sorted, we'll see if he has anything to offer, or if we need to destroy it and get the hell out. "
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 03, 2014, 03:10:13 PM
Mobius furls his hairy brow and regards the gem, burbling away in the ale, for a long moment.

"I don't know about you fellows," he grumbles.  "But that last 5 gold is the only coin this old gnome has seen in a long, long time.  Surely there must be a way to parlay this... opportunity... into a pecuniary plethora.  I mean after all, the stone was dealing with a Lord.  Them don't come cheap.  What if we were to propose to the stone that it demonstrate its good intentions... and financial independence... by proposing that it reward us richly for a relatively simple favor.  After all, the best time to negotiate is before you take the job!  Heh heh!  Heh heh heh!
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 06, 2014, 10:37:38 AM
After some silence, Auris speaks again:

"Fine. But not now. I'm hungry again, and negotiations with a hungry halfling rarely end well!

We'll be on our way soon enough.

Innkeeper! Do you have some more roast beef? About the size of my torso, please, my tummy feels empty once more!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 06, 2014, 11:33:10 AM
Auris' shouts aren't heard by the innkeeper as you moved upstairs to Mobius' room to have some privacy  ::)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 06, 2014, 11:39:09 AM
Möbius

"You fellows mind if I hold the gem then?"  Möbius lifts the glittering diadem from the nut-brown brew and wraps it lovingly in its cloth.  "It is a lovely thing," he mutters.  "A precious thing.  Yes, precious."  He drops it, wrapped tightly in its cloth, back into his pocket.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 06, 2014, 03:52:33 PM
Auris

Auris sighs "I'd rather have it under water. Make sure you say nothing of relevance... " He stops at the moment the gems is lifted from the liquid.

He sighs again, and opens the door, sticks his room around the doorpost and shouts again for food in the direction of the stairs leading to the kitchen.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 06, 2014, 04:42:52 PM
Auris doesn't hear a response, but when he travels downstairs he's heard and properly fed.
 
I assume everyone retires for the night. Halfway through the night you are awoken by horsemen outside and someone knocking loudly on the door and calling for the innkeeper. As you groggily move towards the window shutters to hear better you can see light from torches coming from outside through the cracks in the shutters.
 
A soldier barks at the innkeeper "A group of Gondorian soldiers was attacked on the road here...have you seen anything?"
The innkeeper responds: "Uh...no, No...we haven't seen or heard anything to that matter"
Soldier: "Any travellers that came in today?"
Innkeeper: "Uhm, no not really...should I wake the mayor?"
Soldier: "Never mind that!"
 
At that moment you hear another soldier, who was apparently snooping around, join the conversation and say to the other soldier: "Sir, there are a lot of horses in the stables...perhaps them horse traders are here"
 
Soldier: "Why are there so many horses in your stables?"
Innkeeper: "Uhn...ah...yes, those...uhm...ah...yes, there are indeed horse traders here on their way to the horse fair up north...but they came in two days ago"
Soldier: "Well, fetch them..."
Soldier: "Don't just stand there looking stupid...fetch them NOW!"
Innkeeper: "Yes...eh, yes sir"
 
You hear frantic footsteps on the groundfloor and up the stairs and moments later a frantic Innkeeper appears at your doors. "There are...there are...Gondorians! outside...I...I don't think they know, but please don't tell them anything, or do anything...I'm not sure what they'll do...this doesn't look official...please, please...hurry!" He paces nervously while you get dresses saying "Quickly, quickly...they look very angry" then he stops dead in his tracks and with eyes wide open in fright he inquires in a panicked tone "Where's the head?!?"
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 07, 2014, 02:56:57 AM
Nameless

Slides on the armor of "making one braver than they should sensibly be" and turns to the others, whispering, "Guile or escape?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 07, 2014, 07:54:23 AM
Auris

"Let's try guile first."

He ignores the innkeeper. Why would he tell him that the head is under a pile of towels, under the guard of his own unwitting daughter?

He puts up his best duping face, and makes sure his gauntlet is within reach, but not visible to his would-be interrogators.

"Tell them I gladly receive them, but that I busted my knee and cannot descend the stairs."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 07, 2014, 08:58:39 AM
The innkeeper looks very unhappy...he stammers "please don't make any trouble"
 
He rushes downstairs and out
 
Innkeeper: "urm...the Hobbit asks if you can go upstairs since he hurt his knee"
Soldier: In an angry tone: "You simpleton...get one of the others then!"
Innkeeper: "but...uhm..."
Soldier: "Don't just stand there looking stupid...get going"
The Innkeeper runs inside and up the stairs
 
Innkeeper: "Uhm...they...uh...want someone else to come down"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 07, 2014, 09:38:29 AM
Auris

"I have the most experience duping such goons, I think. Best if you carry me down to continue the ruse. Make sure my gauntlet is hidden."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 07, 2014, 10:01:46 AM
ooc: the only way you can keep such a massive gauntlet hidden is by not wearing it and even then it will be difficult...unless you put it in a backpack
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 07, 2014, 11:50:56 AM
OK, it goes in a backpack, and Auris will ask another compagnion to carry that.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 07, 2014, 01:26:08 PM
Who carries Auris down?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 07, 2014, 08:16:06 PM
Richard can carry Auris down.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 07, 2014, 10:13:40 PM
Nameless

Follows and can carry the backpack (if needed he could teleport to Auris' side they become separated and the issue becomes desperate)

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 08, 2014, 11:23:10 PM
Ooc: how is everyone else equipped?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 09, 2014, 03:34:55 AM
Ooc: how is everyone else equipped?

Nameless wears his armor, clothes over top, sword at his side.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 09, 2014, 07:57:45 AM
Richard hides his sword behind his cloak.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 09, 2014, 09:38:06 AM
When you come out you are greeted by the eerie light of at least 20 torches being carried by fully armed Gondorian soldiers on horseback.


The officer in charge doesn't take time to greet you and gets right down to business: "A group of Gondorian soldiers was attacked yesterday on these roads. We saw you travel here earlier, did you see anything? Bandits, orcs, anything?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 11, 2014, 02:03:47 PM
Auris

"Sir, that is most grave. We were in fear ourselves two days ago, as we heard strange sounds during the evening. But it was already too dark to see much of anything, and it was most likely far in the distance. We didn't look for trouble, but continued our journey, even more so as I was in considerable pain from my knee. I reckon it came from the north, but we couldn't be more precise I'm afraid."

Auris then feeds them a nice story on how they are horse traders, trying to make a living but unknown in these parts, all very innocent and such.

"But in sum, I'm pretty sure there were others out there as well. Bandits or orcs, I cannot tell, but the sounds were vile and ferocious. Nothing decent men such as we would want to have business with, and we're very glad we didn't came near them. Hopefully they are long gone, further to the north. If not, would you be so kind to tell us?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 11, 2014, 02:43:53 PM
Soldier
 
"I see, I see...we suspect it to be orcs, but haven't been able to find any tracks...other than horsetracks"
 
he looks at Auris
 
"You say you hurt your knee, but you've sustained a nasty headwound as well...what happened to you?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 11, 2014, 03:04:38 PM
Auris

"But wait, I did hear them again just about an hour before he rode into this town. Yes, it must have been them! There was the sound of a bow, and a small animal making its last sounds. We had halted for a few minutes to water our horses - one must take good care of your merchandise! - and I heard fragments of conversation - they must have been hunting quite close by. Though halflings have good hearing. There was a question like "how long till we move on?" and the answer was "just after the big job, then we'll go north again, till we meet our friends." At that point they probably noticed us, as things fell silent till i heard galloping horses a minute later. Fast horses to, by the sound - I can tell, I know my business! But I never saw them, by then it was starlight only, and taking them for Rohirim, I didn't feel like making contact, as we hoped to press for a town and inn. Which we thankfully arrived at a bit later. But I now realise that, though they spoke westron, their accents where not from this region.

It sounded a bit like what I heard from a strange creature who carried goods between the Shire and Dale, and he probably came from somewhere around Dale. Far, far away. Just as my homeland - ah, to see it once more.

Sir, I hope you find the culprits. We are traders, having to benefit only from the peace of the land. We carry few weapons, and if we do, it is for trade or hunting. We rely on your valiant steel.

May i perhaps buy you a drink in recognition of that debt before you leave? Or is your hurry too great? Perhaps it is, that group of thugs would be moving quickly to the rathole they came from, most likely. But I reckon you have good horses, if you ride fast you might close the distance. I'm sure your superiors would want that. And you'd be doing all law-abiding citizens, us included, a big favor.

That reminds me of...."

And Auris continues to make small talk, emphasising between lines they are uninteresting, harmless traders, and that he has a tendency to answer his own questions. He mentions he slipped while dismounting, thereby busting his knee:

".. a yes, that headwound: you see, I fell while dismounting. My height makes it hard to get on those horses, even a small one. It thought I would land nicely enough, but the was this small rock that threw my off balance - and in falling I landed against sharp rocks, cutting my head and damaging the joints in my knee. The headwound looks worse than it really is; it's the knee I'm worried about. That might hinder me on my trading travels. I've been told that with a day or two it should be better, one can only hope. At least it is not that bad as that time I broke my leg..."

and a few minutes later: "but that isn't what you came for. back to those thugs, I'm afraid i can't decribe the location too well, but I'll try."

And he describes the points where he heard the thugs. Not that that description is much use, as it was getting darker quickly. All creating an impression of a law-abiding, uninteressting civilian who only wastes valuable time, but does that so friendly and congenial, you can't fault him for it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 12, 2014, 08:23:27 AM
The soldier holds up his hand and says: "Enough! I heard enough...so no orcs then. Allright, let's move out, we've wasted too much time already"
 
He turns his horse and rides to another soldier to discuss something. The group of Gondorian soldiers prepare to depart.
 
The innkeeper and you can enter the Inn again if you want
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 12, 2014, 08:39:53 AM
Auris

"Could you be so kind to carry me back in, Richard?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 12, 2014, 05:01:39 PM
Mobius glares at the armed men from his lurking place in the corner, and then returns to help his friends.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 13, 2014, 03:17:28 AM
Nameless

Moves in and then immediately and quietly upstairs to steathily peek out a window and ensure they depart.

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 13, 2014, 07:28:06 AM
Richard carries Auris back in.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 13, 2014, 11:32:10 AM
The Gondorians discuss for a moment and then depart.
 
A shaking stressed-out Innkeeper thanks you all for handling it and returns to his bed
 
The rest of the night is uneventful. Next morning at breakfast, the innkeeper provides you with the papers for the horses. Just as he hands them over a scream can be heard from the linnen room. The innkeeper's daughter runs out into the main room shouting: "A head, a head..." The innkeeper immediately shushes her and glances questionly to you...he guides his daughter into the arms of his wife and makes his way to the linnenroom
 
ooc: what do you do?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 13, 2014, 01:25:43 PM
Auris

Auris says nothing, but fetches the head, clearly taking it with him. Upon his return he declares:

"Well, thank you all for your kind hospitality. It's time we're off. Goodday!"

He grabs his gear, bits in one last chicken leg, and mounts up.

(Assuming the rest follows, Auris'next action will be once they are an hour's worth of riding away from the town - in a different direction as the soldiers. He proposes South-east).
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 13, 2014, 01:45:43 PM
"Well," jokes Mobius, a slight trembling in his voice,  "That's one way to get ahead!  Get it?  Ahead?"

He heh heh heh!

"Say fellows," he goes on, in hushed tones, "I think we'd better have another private discussion about that gem.  Something's up!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 13, 2014, 11:52:47 PM
Nameless

"As long as we stay ahead of the pursuit ... "

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 14, 2014, 08:45:19 AM
The innkeeper is not amused by Auris' actions, but dares not speak up. The friendliness of earlier is gone though. That said...the horses look in perfect condition and the papers look mighty official.
 
You are directed to the annual horsemarket in the regional capital of the province of Eastenmet. It is located square in the middle of the province, right in the middle between the Anduin and the Entwash. It is a great cattle centre as it is in the centre of the great planes of East Rohan.
 
As you set out, you can tell the innkeeper is happy you're gone. You can speak freely now while you're on the road
 
 
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 14, 2014, 01:50:40 PM
Mobius fingered the gem through its cloth, stuffed deep in his doublet.

"Fellows, last night... last night... the gem... it talked to me."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 14, 2014, 02:27:00 PM
Auris

"And what kind of info did you get out of it, and at what price?"

Auris tries to make his voice sound as neutral as possible. But part of him expects Mobius has become a bit unglued off late, and let the desire for  gems get the better of him.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 14, 2014, 02:37:44 PM
Mobius wipes a drop of sweat from his brow.

"Not much information.  It said its name is Mr. Luin, and it's trying to... trying to fight... Him... the Dark Lord.  It wants us to expose the Rohirrim in the matter of the unfortunate nobleman without  incriminating ourselves.  It gave me a fear spell to use... but I didn't agree to anything.

"Mr. Luin has a pretty... forceful... personality.  Heh heh heh.  Heh heh.

"Pretty funny, huh?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 14, 2014, 04:34:34 PM
Auris

"Very funny. Now let us get some distance between us and that village, and therefore twice that distance between us and the gondorian soldiers, and then we'll see what "mister Luin" has to say. And if I don't like it what he says, I'll attune that trinket right out under him!"

OOC: please inform us if there are any events during the next 6 hours or so of riding.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 14, 2014, 04:59:41 PM
The next six hours are uneventful
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 14, 2014, 05:04:39 PM
Auris

While riding at a decent pace, Auris makes sure to thank Richard and the rest for assisting in the successful ruse earlier that morning.

At a halt later that day, Auris approaches Mobius.

"Now, shall we figure out what that amulet of yours is all about? But before you take it out, tell me what you know about it, and make sure he can't hear it."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 14, 2014, 11:44:42 PM
Nameless

"Talking gems can't be a good thing ... Like Seeing Stones and Magical Scrying Pool ... I suggest you crush it with the Gauntlet."

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 17, 2014, 03:40:25 PM
Mobius:

"It's powerful, this thing, whatever it is.  I told it to prove itself and it became a spell item, just like that!  A good one too!

What could it hurt to play along, eh?  You never know...

It could be the opportunity of a lifetime!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 18, 2014, 12:57:01 PM
Auris

"Well, let's hear it then. And do you mind if I do the conversation? " Auris strevhes out his hand to receive the amulet.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 18, 2014, 01:27:50 PM
Mobius looks down into the palm of his friend's hand.  He scowls.

"It's my own... my... precious.  I'll hold it."

Mobius slowly draws the stone from his shirt, unwraps it, and hangs it around his neck.

"Matches my eyes," he says brightening.  "Don't you think?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 18, 2014, 02:15:53 PM
The amulet is silent
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 18, 2014, 02:32:46 PM
Mobius:

"Mr. Luin... Mr. Luin, are you there?  Yoo-hoo!"

Mobius laughs nervously as his face reddens.

"I swear, guys, it was talking last night, talking a blue streak!"

Mobius taps the stone gentle with his forefinger.

"Mr. Luin!  Mr. Luin!"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 18, 2014, 03:01:48 PM
Voice from the amulet:
 
"Ah young Gnome, you desire to speak again? I must say you ended our conversation quite rudely...did something happen?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 18, 2014, 03:19:00 PM
Mobius looks up at Auris triumphantly.

"Yes, something happened, Mr. Luin.  I soiled me breeches! Heh heh!  Heh heh heh!

"Um... if you don't mind, Mr. Luin... I mean if you're not too busy and all at the moment... um... there's someone here that would like to talk to you, that is... if you don't mind..."

Mobius turns to face Auris so that the latter can get a good look at the stone and speak directly into it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 18, 2014, 05:19:16 PM
Voice from the gem
 
"Not at all..."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 18, 2014, 06:43:46 PM
Auris

"Well, sir, our earlier conversation did also end abruptly. I hope you liked the ale I put your amulet in. Well, our amulet, now. " Auris puts a mildly triomphant tone in his voice, remembering the earlier point of contention.

"But my associate thinks hearing you out might be more profitable. Well then, what is your wish, and what do you offer in return?".

Auris studies the amulet intently.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 18, 2014, 07:20:53 PM
The voice in the gem

"Ah the Hobbit thief has joined our little conversation again...well you are nothing if not confident aren't you master hobbit."

"What I want I have stated clearly ro the young Gnome...my question to you is whether you are willing to join us in our cause against the darkness"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 18, 2014, 09:22:54 PM
Auris

"We're brains, swords and much more - for hire. Now we might be inclined to fight for good if it's all the same, but we might sit it out. Us hobbits aren't all going on quests for nothing. So if you want us, make it worthwhile."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 19, 2014, 11:21:55 AM
Voice from the gem


Äh, I see you are a pragmatist master Hobbit. Very well, our cause can certainly use some able bodied men such as yourself. What are you looking for...name your price"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 19, 2014, 07:39:26 PM
Auris

"For starters, a kingdom for me and each of my compagnions, eternal life and a good digestion! The price will depend on what you need to have done, and how difficult that is. Getting rid of a bunch of orcs will be cheaper than getting rid of the king's viceroy. Retrieving treasure from the shire's museum is cheaper than getting it from Smaug's little sister.

But if you me to open negotiations : my weight in gold. What do you want to have done that would merit such a reward?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 19, 2014, 08:36:41 PM
The voice from the gem


"I see your wit is as sharp as that of the young Gnome, but that you haven't discussed my proposal yet. How odd among companions such as yourselves"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 19, 2014, 08:51:45 PM
Auris

Looks at Mobius, as this suggest he was holding back info.

"Your proposal to betray the Rohirrim? That would not have been to our advantage. As with any proposal, we first must reach as stage that any action is worthwhile to undertake. Now, no more fooling around, make us an offer, with chapter and verse and all fine print, starting at square one, or back into the ale your amulet will go."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 20, 2014, 09:29:49 AM
The voice from the gem
 
"Ah, so you did discuss my proposal, you were just being coy. I also sense the same hesitation as the young Gnome had. Surely two people with the wits of yourselves should be able to find a way to bring the Rohirrim to justice, without incriminating yourselves. I assume there are no records of your involvements or witnesses other than those that will be accused? Use that sharp mind of yours master Hobbit. As regarding payment, your weight in gold should do...my guess is this would amount to roughly 2000 gold coins...this should be sufficient payment for you and your associates don't you think?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 20, 2014, 12:33:11 PM
Mobius gulps audibly, but his gnomish instincts tell him there's more to be had here.

He silently mouths the single word to Auris:  "Negotiate!"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 20, 2014, 09:33:36 PM
Richard is against turning against the Rohirrim and betraying them. In his opinion the gem should be destroyed like Nameless suggested.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 21, 2014, 12:19:08 AM
Richard is against turning against the Rohirrim and betraying them. In his opinion the gem should be destroyed like Nameless suggested.

Nameless agrees with Richard.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 21, 2014, 08:07:11 AM
ooc: @ Richard and Nameless: please roleplay this, now I don't know when you say this and whether the gem overhears you or not
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 21, 2014, 09:40:47 AM
Richard motions Mobius to put the gem in the ale cup and says,"I think it would be better of us not to betray the Rohirrim. Ask him what interests he has against the Rohirrim. Then we'll put the same question to the Mayor."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 21, 2014, 04:34:15 PM
Mobius fingers the stone lovingly and speaks to it in soft tones:

What you ask is difficult.  My friends here don't seem to entirely trust you, heh heh heh!  And two thousand... seems like very little for such a dangerous request.

We might be willing to discuss TEN thousand.  But we'd need some... proof... of your... ability to pay!  Heh heh heh!  And of course, there would have to be... an advance; the two thousand MIGHT suffice for that, though I must warn you that my friends are very... reluctant... heh heh heh! 

And we couldn't even consider THAT until you tell us WHY you want this done.  Why is it so important to you that we betray our Rohir friends?  Eh?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 21, 2014, 11:51:32 PM
Richard motions Mobius to put the gem in the ale cup and says,"I think it would be better of us not to betray the Rohirrim. Ask him what interests he has against the Rohirrim. Then we'll put the same question to the Mayor."

And, before the gem is removed, Nameless says, "Ask details. All of them or some? Why? If it is a single foe, like the man we just killed, I would consider it. To take arms up against a nation is folly and I will be no part of it."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 22, 2014, 07:39:00 AM
ooc: @ Richard and Nameless: you need to convince Mobius (in character) first to put away the gem...at the moment he's unwilling, so you can't ask your questions without the gem overhearing. As such I'm assuming you haven't had this discussion (yet)


ooc: @ Richard: you've been riding for a couple of hours now, so unless you stole a pint of ale, you need another way to put the gem away


The voice in the gem:


"You disappoint me young Gnome...do not get greedy with me. I respect that you are skilled mercenaries, hence I'm offering you a substantial payment, but I expect you to want to redeem yourself as well...otherwise you are just as evil as the traitors that hired you. You speak of these Rohirrim as your friends, I see them as traitors to our cause to stop the Darkness from returning. The Gondorians must know not all their allies can be trusted. Speaking of trust...I have shown you that I am good on my rewards, now it is time for you to earn my trust."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 22, 2014, 08:21:58 AM
Auris

To mobius, in the lowest possible voice to prevent overhearing:

"I'd say we need some alternative negotiating tactics. Now, if you hold on to this" - he hands Mobius the scepter of Numernor - "I'll try something else. We'll exchange items again when I'm done, don't worry."

If Mobius hands over the amulet, Auris will give Mobius the scepter. It is his full intention to reverse the trade after the attunement.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 22, 2014, 02:51:58 PM
ooc: @ Richard and Nameless: you need to convince Mobius (in character) first to put away the gem...at the moment he's unwilling, so you can't ask your questions without the gem overhearing. As such I'm assuming you haven't had this discussion (yet)

** Insert my comment at the applicable opportunity then ...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 22, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
Richard whispers at Auris' ear, "Ask him what is it that he has against the Rohirrim."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 24, 2014, 02:09:28 PM
Mobius looks down at the sceptre in sudden surprise.

"You would trade my own for my own?" he hisses angrily.  "Why haven't you returned my Sceptre before now?"  He clutches the stone tightly in his hand.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 24, 2014, 03:01:31 PM
Auris

"Your scepter? I took this as the spoils of war from the fortress as we exited Mordor. That commander wanted us dead or something close it, so though luck for him. Now someone might have been so careless to give that artifact to the commander in the first place, but that was his error and quite beside the point..."

And continuing, without allowing Mobius time to interject anything:

"So, it all matters on how we view the proceeds of our work. Either we see this as capital goods in a joint enterprise, and you can use that scepter whenever the job requires it - and I can likewise attune to that trinket to ensure we get a better deal out of that Luin chap. Or we see it as individual spoils of war, in which case I bid you good luck with your amulet and mr Luin, and the scepter is mine.

Your choice."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 25, 2014, 12:20:21 PM
"I see how it is," says Mobius sullenly.  Then, holding the gem up to his bloodshot eye, he speaks into it:

"Mr. Luin, what should I do?"
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 27, 2014, 07:37:06 AM
The gem remains silent
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 27, 2014, 08:25:20 AM
Auris

Looks at the others, eyeing if they will support him and talk some sense into Mobius. After all, his sudden gem-fever and attachment to the amulet might get them all into trouble.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 27, 2014, 12:49:52 PM
Same opinion here...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 27, 2014, 02:21:46 PM
Auris

Looks at the others, eyeing if they will support him and talk some sense into Mobius. After all, his sudden gem-fever and attachment to the amulet might get them all into trouble.

Nameless

The mask, likely dirty and worn (must spend some coin on a new one), gives a slight nod. Quietly he slides a hand to the hilt of his sword.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 27, 2014, 04:23:44 PM
"Do I have your word, then, all of you," says Mobius slowly, his eyes moving across the faces of the party, "That all property of this group is held in common?  If so, then I will gladly hand over the gem, temporarily.  If not, well, then things might not seem so well.  You see, I have a special connection with Mr. Luin.  Vow it, each of you, here and now."
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 27, 2014, 06:50:37 PM
"Do I have your word, then, all of you," says Mobius slowly, his eyes moving across the faces of the party, "That all property of this group is held in common?  If so, then I will gladly hand over the gem, temporarily.  If not, well, then things might not seem so well.  You see, I have a special connection with Mr. Luin.  Vow it, each of you, here and now."

Nameless

Simply says, "No" and departs.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on November 28, 2014, 12:26:59 PM
Duror, who has been watching the debates, agrees with Nameless. "What is mine isn't your. It's my... precious..."  :lol:
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 29, 2014, 07:33:08 AM
"I like to share my things as I see fit," says Richard. (Damilano, you just started playing, so I understand that you might not be entitled to the sceptre.)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 29, 2014, 01:54:04 PM
Auris

"Well, asking much always risks asking too much. You may want to tell mr Luin that he has to find himself some other associates."

Auris also starts packing his stuff, to move on again. He wears the gauntlet, and carefully tucks away the scepter.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on November 29, 2014, 03:27:21 PM
Mobius, puzzled, tucks away the gem, checks his gear, and prepares to move on.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 29, 2014, 03:41:42 PM
Nameless

Turns to the others, "Where to then? Somewhere a distance from here where we can spend our coin [such as we have] in peace?"

Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 29, 2014, 04:44:08 PM
Ooc: the idea was to go to the horse fair in order to sell your horses for more coin, but feel free to go somewhere else
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 29, 2014, 05:24:14 PM
Ooc: the idea was to go to the horse fair in order to sell your horses for more coin, but feel free to go somewhere else

** How many extra to we have or were we trying to "trade down" to less recognizable mounts?
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on November 29, 2014, 05:53:53 PM
Ooc: I've lost track, but you have roughly 10 spare horses
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on November 29, 2014, 06:01:47 PM
Ooc: I've lost track, but you have roughly 10 spare horses

** A veritable herd! OK. Who has Trading and/or Streetwise etc.? :)
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on November 29, 2014, 06:04:26 PM
Auris

"Come on, my trading nose tells me the best time to arrive at the horse fair is today!"

OOC: got some levels in it.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 01, 2014, 02:37:44 PM
The rest of the journey is uneventful.
 
You reach the regional capital of Eastenmet. It looks a lot like other Rohirrim cities, in the sense that they are not really cities as you are used to in Gondor. There is a wooden fortress in the middle of the city, with wooden houses/farms around it. There is a wooden pallissade that functions as a city wall. The inside of the city is very open. There are not as many houses as you would expect in a dense city, but instead they appear like mini farms. There are also plenty of places where cattle is kept and marketed. It is truly a nomad like city, or a village, but only bigger.
 
When you reach the gate you see other people coming in and out with cattle and horses. You don't seem to be the only ones coming here for a trade. The city guards ask you for your business, but quickly let you through when you state your business and show the papers you brought.
 
ooc: let me know what you want to do next
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: damilano on December 01, 2014, 02:40:03 PM
Mobius will  keep his eyes open and go with the group as they find a suitable trader.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Hayek on December 01, 2014, 02:48:59 PM
OOC : Auris will want to sell the horses as soon as possible, but at a decent price. His next objective would be to see if there's a way to know more about the region's lore. He'd be particularly interested in old towers, keeps etc -both for additional treasure, and as a potential base of operations.
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Old Man on December 01, 2014, 02:51:51 PM
OOC : Auris will want to sell the horses as soon as possible, but at a decent price. His next objective would be to see if there's a way to know more about the region's lore. He'd be particularly interested in old towers, keeps etc -both for additional treasure, and as a potential base of operations.

Nameless would assist with the transaction. He then wants to shop for a restock of gear and allow a change of appearance - different mask or hood or visored helm
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Modric on December 01, 2014, 03:23:44 PM
Duror votes to get what we can for the horses, then go get a drink and get some information about what's going on in/around the city...
Title: Re: Dark Magic (HARP) IC
Post by: Jaeru on December 01, 2014, 04:26:26 PM
Not really knowing where to go, the group decides to follow the other traders with flocks of horses and other cattle. They end up at the foot of a small hill, upon which is situated the wooden for