Real Roleplaying Forums

Games => The Gaming Table => Plague of the Raging King (RMSS/RMFRP) => Topic started by: Enheduanna on May 28, 2018, 03:07:21 AM

Title: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 28, 2018, 03:07:21 AM
What it says on the lid.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 02, 2018, 01:53:28 AM
4th day of Ayyarum (April 19th, 1767 BCE)
It’s the 4th day of the Babylonian month of Ayyarum — a warm, clear morning, and the four of you are in the vicinity of Babylon’s old Market Gate.  This neighborhood is one of Babylon’s oldest, and though this gate used to be an entrance into the city, it’s now a decaying remnant that stands well inside the city’s outer fortifications.

This is normally a busy, crowded place, and today is no different.  All around you, merchants and craftspersons hock their wares.  Children chase one another through the streets and between the stalls, provoking several adults, who hurl curses in their wake.

About halfway between sunrise and noon, you spot a man making his way through the multitude toward you.  He is short (5’3”) and his face is either shaved or naturally hairless.  He has long, well-­cared for hair that has been pleated and gathered into a bun at the nape of his neck.  He waves a hand at you and calls Murdus [GB] out by name.  You notice that he’s wearing a robe with a fringe.  Something about this man causes Lahwi-­Maliku [DW] to suspect he’s a eunuch.  This is confirmed for all of you when the man reaches you and speaks.

Inimmu!” he exclaims, “What a crowd!  I thought I’d never find you!”  He looks over the group.  “Dadanum [Murdus’s merchant friend] told me that this enterprising fellow was leaving for the village of Birṣum soon —“  he begins to scrutinize Yarlaganda [Barrow] “ — And my my!  You’re a big one!”

The strange man turns back to the animist.  “Now, now, it’s no big secret!  Everyone knows the king’s engineers are sending you to Birṣum to make the final plans for his fortress!”  He looks at the Gutian’s camel and frowns, but continues speaking, “Well, anyway, I should really get on with it!  You’re clearly men of action.  I was wondering if I might hire you to run an errand for me, since you’re heading to the village anyway.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 02, 2018, 07:01:20 AM
Murdus

He frowns briefly, before a smile appears on his weathered face... "You have me at a disadvantage, but it matters not, surely my friend Dadanum would not send a stranger to delay me on my journey unless it was a matter of great import.... Pray tell me your name... the manner of this errand.. and the value of our time to you"

------------

Murdus is leading his donkey by it's muzzle, behind it tows a small cart.

At this point I'm assuming that a least Murdus and Yarlagnda have met before, probably travelling on the road to Babylon?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 02, 2018, 11:54:28 AM
Lahwi

The Amorite nods at Murdus' suggestion, and pushes his mule by the briddle to get nearer to the group.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 02, 2018, 02:46:30 PM
(Great picture, GB!)

Let’s go ahead and assume the players are acquainted with one another.  How exactly is up to you.

“Ah!  My name, yes!  Warad-Marduk, at your service,” the short man says, bowing.  “The task I need completed is a simple one.  All I need you to do is to deliver a letter to someone in the village, and another tablet with it.  I would do it myself, but I’m not really the traveling sort.  And what with the rumors and all…”. He glances around, as if to see that no one is eavesdropping on the conversation, then he leans in closer and adds, “I’ll pay you in silver, let’s say, 10 shekels (5 SP) per person for the delivery, and another 30 (15 SP) for your discretion in this matter.”

You all know that 40 shekels (20 SP) per person is a considerable amount of money.  Only the richest men in Babylon would be able to pay this for mail delivery.

You may have an observer, but you haven’t noticed him/her yet.  Because of the crowd this is going to be a Light Difficulty (+10) Hiding roll for these persons, modified by your Alertness bonuses.  Rolls are in the Dice Thread.  I suspect our Elamite thief is going to make an Observation attempt.  Anyone else?

Murdus’s Awareness:  Observer’s Hiding Roll (38) + O’s Hiding bonus (+78) + Light Difficulty (+10) - Murdus’s Alertness -33 = 93.

LM’s Awareness:  Observer’s Hiding Roll (38) + O’s Hiding bonus (+78) + Light Difficulty (+10) - LM’s Alertness -36 = 90.

Indattu’s Awareness:  Observer’s Hiding Roll (38) + O’s Hiding bonus (+78) + Light Difficulty (+10) - Indattu’s Alertness -23 = 103.

Yarlaganda’s Awareness:  Observer’s Hiding Roll (38) + O’s Hiding bonus (+78) + Light Difficulty (+10) - Yarla’s Alertness -38 = 88.

Lahwi-­Maliku and Yarlaganda both spot a man about 300 feet away who is standing on the back of a merchant’s cart and looking your way.  They don’t suspect him of anything more than a passing interest.  Murdus and Indattu barely register the man’s presence.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 02, 2018, 04:11:23 PM
Murdus

Looks a little confused for a moment... but leans in closer to Warad-Martuk.... and whispers.

 "Really? Just for a letter to Birsum?... Well, I'm sure I'd be able to.... once I remember exactly where Birsum is.. or who he is" he adds with a chuckle.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 02, 2018, 04:50:09 PM
Murdus has a general sense of where the village is, from your discussions about the fortress plans. Warad-Marduk can also supply you with better directions.  The other players can also make a region lore roll and add their Babylon region lore bonus.  Success means they might have more information about the village.

To get there, you'll head north along the course of the river Euphrates for about 35 miles (a day's travel) then turn east and head towards the Tigris for another day.  Bisrum is relatively near the Tigris. It's also near the western eastern edge of Hammu-rapi's influence.

Edit: I don't know my east from my west sometimes.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 02, 2018, 05:47:33 PM
Yarlaganda

dismisses the distant observer, but continues to survey the crowd for other signs that they're being watched.

He does not stop this scan, even as he speaks to the eunuch. "That is a generous offer," he says, skeptically.  "For that sort of pay, I suppose we should expect... surprises?"


Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 02, 2018, 06:28:45 PM
So I assume Yarlaganda is going to use Observation?  I’ll wait for Kantron to chime in, and then we’ll do Observation rolls for those who want to.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 02, 2018, 06:32:01 PM
So I assume Yarlaganda is going to use Observation? 

Yes.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 03, 2018, 03:13:51 AM
The short man suddenly looks nervous.  Perhaps the large, one-eyed Gutian is a little intimidating?  He begins to speak quietly, “Well, you know — the rumors.  Ibal-pi-El — or his generals — want that whole area back.”

You all know that Ibal-pi-El is the king of the city-state of Ešnunna, and that he controls an area of Mesopotamia centered on the Tigris River, north and east of Babylon.

While the eunuch is talking, Yarlaganda is scrutinizing the crowd.  Now he really notices the man on the back of a wagon, who is attempting to conceal himself with the projecting corner of a building.  To you at least, the man sticks out like a sore thumb.  He's clearly interested in your group, or in the eunuch.

Warad-Marduk continues, "Of course, I'll give you a contract.  10 shekels (5 SP) for each of you now, and I'll deposit the rest with the Temple of Šamaš, who will grant it to you when you return with a receipt from our man in Birsum."

The PCs know that this arrangement isn't unusual.  The Temple of Šamaš operates as something between a neutral bank and a register of deeds.  They're one of the most trusted institutions in the kingdom.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 03, 2018, 04:05:42 AM
Yarlaganda

listens to the eunuch's concerns about Ibal-pi-El with mild interest, and the mention of shekels gains his full attention. But, as the talk turns to 'contracts,' his attention quickly wanders. He has learned to let Murdus handle these details.

Contracts, he muses scornfully. Letters. Tablets. Receipts. Nonsense. Sorcery. Trickery. How can scribbles on paper hold a man's word? His honor? he scoffs, not for the first time. But, his years of mercenary work have taught him that the terms of his payment are often determined by those scribblings.  So he says nothing.

As the eunuch continues, Yarlaganda feeds his camel a handful of figs to conceal his interest in their distant observer. He watches as the would-be spy tries to hide. While Murdus talks to the eunuch, Yarlaganda discretely turns to Indattu and Lahwi and mutters:

"We're being watched. Yon wagon, by the building with the red roof. Be on your guard."

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 03, 2018, 09:47:20 AM
AS DESCRETELY AS POSSIBLE I RESPOND: Want me to do something about him (deal with the who is observing)?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 03, 2018, 11:12:43 AM
Yarlaganda

feeds Gamesh (his camel) another fig as he discretely watches the observer and considers Indattu's proposal. He is very sly, from what I've seen, Yarlaganda thinks of Indattu. He could easily deal with this watcher.  But, are there others?

"No, I think not," he answers quietly after a moment. "Not yet. Better to stay together, in case of trouble. It is enough to know he's there, for now. I will keep my eye on him. Watch for others."

Yarlaganda will keep scanning the crowd occasionally, and keep an eye on the known observer. He feeds Gamesh another fig. Snort twice if you see a threat, he thinks to his camel, rubbing between the beast's eyes.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 03, 2018, 12:19:27 PM
Discretely nods in agreement.  I move around acting as if checking to make sure Gamesh is well groomed.  Meanwhile, I check for anyone else who could be taking covert cues or instructions from the observer.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 03, 2018, 02:57:31 PM
Murdus

"Well, that seems an acceptable enough deal...give the message to me... I'll get it to... umm. Who was I meant to give it to? Did you tell me? I was distracted by my fellow travellers, I wish they wouldn't whisper so. It's so distracting...  Right, take the message to Barsoom, no, that's not right.. umm, Birsum was it? Yes, yes.. I shall do that." he says opening his satchel ready.

Meanwhile, he notices his Donkey's ear prick up. Murdus, distracted again, gives them a quick stroke. "Muffus.. Calm now, there are no bandits here."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 03, 2018, 03:51:16 PM
Lahwi

considered the eunuch's proposal He also remembered the talk about a general. He gathered his loose thoughts and tried to remember what the political situation was around the area. Ibal-pi-El wanted the zone back. What were the rumours he was talking about, he thought.

He also observed the man that was spying them, and whether he was still there.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 03, 2018, 05:20:47 PM
The man continues to look at all of you, but he doesn’t take any actions that make it apparent that he knows that you’ve noticed him.

Warad-Marduk narrows his eyes, and seems confused by Murdus's absent-mindedness.  When the animist mentions "bandits," he glances around, but doesn't see anything amiss.  He doesn't notice the observer.  He seems frustrated, and he looks past the merchant to the rest of you.  "Well, gentlemen?” he says,  “Do we have an agreement?  If so, I’ll be glad to accompany you to the temple so that I don’t delay you any longer.”

DW, can you give me a Babylonia Region Lore roll?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 03, 2018, 05:38:01 PM
Yarlaganda

looks at Warad-Murak, and nods towards Murdus. "He just told you we have an agreement, eunuch. Give him the scribbles."

He puts a firm hand on the eunuch's shoulder. It's not a friendly grip. "And, if you walk with us, you'll walk next to me."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 03, 2018, 05:56:44 PM
Like most Babylonians, Lahwi knows that Ešnunna controlled that region up until two years ago.  In Babylon, the king of Ešnunna has a reputation as the puppet of his generals.  Nothing specific about Birsum springs to Lahwi’s mind.

The eunuch jumps at Yarlaganda’s touch.  You can feel him shiver under it.  He breathes deeply, then says, “All right, let’s go.”

Together with Warad-Marduk, all of you proceed to the Temple of Šamaš, Edikukalamma (Sum. “House of the Judgment of the Land”).  This is located on the other side of the city, and you have to cross the great branch of the Euphrates River which flows through it.

(https://i.imgur.com/1XgQcEg.jpg)

To get to the river bridge, you pass down the broad, paved avenue named Išemme-ana-rūqī (OB. “He Listens to Those Who Are Distant”).  This street runs between the Temple of Marduk, Esagil (Sum. “House Whose Top is High”) and the seven-story ziqqurat of Babylon, Etemenanki (Sum. “House of the Foundation Platform of Heaven and the Underworld”).

GM:  I’m going to presume that Indattu, Lawhi, and Yarlaganda are going to be looking for any signs of pursuit or ambush.  Unless there are any objections, Observation or Situational Awareness seem the most applicable skills, since Sense Ambush is more passive.  Rather than have me roll for any potential pursuers’ Stalking rolls, how about we reverse things, and let the players roll?  Your result will be modified by your pursuer’s (if you have one) Stalking skill.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 03, 2018, 10:27:57 PM
Yarlaganda

keeps his eye open as they travel through the city, but there's so much going on. Danger could be anywhere, he knows.

He does keep Warad-Marduk close by though. He doesn't trust the eunuch; he didn't like the familiar way he approached them earlier, nor how he loudly discussed their mission to Birsum.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 04, 2018, 12:21:47 AM
On the way to the temple, none of you detect pursuit.  The man who was watching you from the cart appeared to watch you leave, but did not follow.  Lahwi is especially certain that none one is stalking you, and that no ambush awaits.

(https://i.imgur.com/uVDzQfS.jpg)

The Temple of Šamaš is the busiest location in an otherwise quiet neighborhood.  You pass through the temple doors, and enter a large antechamber.  In this cool, dry room, there are several temple officials and scribes who manage the financial business of the temple.  You wait with Warad-Marduk for an official to become available, and your transaction is concluded shortly.  Warad-Marduk has no money with him, but he provides the official with a receipt which satisfies the man that the temple already has enough money to cover the contract in his account.

The temple scribe drafts a contract setting out the basic terms of your agreement:
1) That you will each receive 10 shekels (5 SP) of silver now.
2) That you will deliver two tablets to a man named Nūr-ilī on the outskirts of Bisrum.
3) That Nūr-ilī will execute a receipt, and when you return to the temple, you may present the receipt to earn another 30 shekels (15 SP) each.

The document is certified by three witnesses, and the scribe himself.  Warad-Marduk removes a cylinder seal from his robe, and adds this to the bottom.

(https://i.imgur.com/Eq1xhZi.jpg)

The official calls for a slave, who disappears into the temple and returns with four small sacks containing 5 SP of silver each.  The contents of each of these is weighed to ensure you receive the correct amount. Meanwhile, the scribe makes two copies of the contract, and gives one to you, and the other to Warad-Marduk.

Would anyone like to do anything at this point, before you conclude your business and leave the temple?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 04, 2018, 01:57:49 AM
For as far as I can tell, I think this concludes the business... for now.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 04, 2018, 02:04:19 AM
Yarlaganda

jingles his new shekels in his hand. "How will we know this Nūr-ilī, when we get there?" he asks Warad-Marduk.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 04, 2018, 12:17:10 PM
As you exit the temple, Warad-Marduk answers the Gutian’s question.  “Well, we correspond regularly, so messengers will be expected.  He’ll be looking for you on the western edge of the village.  There’s a little bridge, as I understand it, where the road has to cross over an irrigation canal.  He’s a young fellow, with a noble sort of look.  Oh, and a good voice, from what I’m told.”

He begins to fish around in his robe, and eventually removes two tablets.  He offers them to Murdus, but before he lets them go, he says, in a plaintive tone, “Please, keep them safe.”

The animist can tell that these are both envelopes, which isn’t anything unusual.  The custom at this time was to write in cuneiform on a clay tablet, then encase that tablet in a layer of clay for its protection.  A copy, or at least a summary, of the contents of the enclosed tablet was then written on the outer layer of clay.  It appears both of these tablets are made this way.

(https://i.imgur.com/rdY97Xf.jpg)

What would you like to do now?  Also, I need another set of perception rolls for everyone.  If you’re actively searching, you should modify this by your Observation or Situational Awareness bonus, whichever is greater.  If you’re just passively going on your way, use Alertness or Sense Ambush.  Whatever you roll, modify it by a -43 penalty.  ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 04, 2018, 12:36:28 PM
Murdus

Taking them, he puts the tablets in his satchel.. "They'll be safe.." (He places each in separate empty leather "envelopes", of which, fortunately he had a couple).

He doesn't seem to take any great interest in what is written on the outside... there may be time enough later. But for now, for such a high price for delivery that whatever is written on the outside may very well not be a clear indication of what's inside anyway.

"Let us proceed.."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 04, 2018, 01:01:30 PM
Yarlaganda

is mildly amused by the eunuch's description of their contact. They have never met in person, he surmises. No matter. "Western edge of town, little bridge. We will see he gets these clay scratches," he says.

He falls in behind Murdus, and stays vigilant.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 05, 2018, 03:44:59 AM
As you leave Warad-Marduk and the temple, you enter the street, and one or two of the group may feel a slight chill.  This is strange, because it’s the middle of a spring afternoon, and the sun is bearing down upon you.  You are in a residential neighborhood where the houses are built very close to one another on either side of the street, and the narrow avenue is jagged and irregular as it dodges around haphazardly placed buildings.

(https://i.imgur.com/LVN9jwX.jpg)

There are several other people about, and it’s broad daylight, but for some reason all of you are on the look out for anything amiss.  Lahwi and Murdus certainly aren’t surprised when you approach two homes with a patch of unusually dark shadows between them, and they overhear a whispered conversation.

In perfect Amorite, the voice of one man murmurs, “See!  The Temple for the contract, like I guessed.  You owe me.”

A hiss answers, “Gotta get the letters from them first.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 05, 2018, 04:59:19 PM
I’ll give your characters an opportunity to prepare for what comes next, e.g. run, draw weapons, call out these cowards, pretend like you didn’t hear them, etc.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 05, 2018, 05:05:53 PM
Yarlaganda

In spite of his vigilance, the ranger is oblivious to the danger. He's carrying his spear as usual, but his sword is sheathed and his shield is lashed to his saddlebag, on his camel.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 05, 2018, 05:37:02 PM
Lahwi

In a low voice the Amorite tells the other party members that there are men ahead. He pretends to have heard nothing.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 05, 2018, 06:37:33 PM
Yarlaganda

looks at the paladin in mild surprise, but doesn't say anything. He does move closer to his camel and takes down his shield.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 06, 2018, 12:13:03 AM
As you continue along the street, you hear someone in the shadows of the alley blow a clay whistle.  In response, a man rushes into the street from the open door of a nearby house.  On the other side of the street, a large woman leaps down from the low roof of a building.  From the shadowed alley whence you hear the whispers, a second man steps out and rushes at you.

You’ve seen this last man before; he’s the one who was watching you from the cart in the market.

None of you are surprised, thanks to a few sharp ears in your party.

All of these individuals are wearing dark clothing, along with rigid leather armor.  The woman’s hair is long, and pulled back into a tight braid.  Both of the men wear beards.  All three look young, strong, and well-groomed.  You see that the woman is armed with a spear, and has several daggers in her belt.  The man from the market has a short sword in his hand, and his male companion wields a club.

“Give us the tablets!,” shouts the man from the market, as he brandishes his sword.

Declaration of actions, and initiative rolls, if you will.  The man from the market is moving to attack Murdus, the woman is closest to the Gutian, and the man from the house has rushed in the direction of Lahwi and Indattu.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 06, 2018, 01:21:19 AM
Yarlaganda

throws his spear at the woman.

Danger! he thinks, in an attempt to warn his camel.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 06, 2018, 06:30:04 AM
Murdus

"Tablets?" he says..

"I wonder which ones?" he thinks..

"That mans attacking me.." .he adds as a virtual afterthought.. "Hmmm.."

He lets the satchel slip from his shoulder and assumes a defensive stance with his spear.

(OOP: Full parry)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 06, 2018, 08:46:36 AM
I draw my weapon.

I mumble under my breath... "Let's do this."

In a loud voice "Which one of you wants to die first?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 06, 2018, 07:21:31 PM
Lahwi

will parry with half of his Axe's OB (134/2=67). The Amorite will charge his nearest opponent. "For Ištar!" he cried.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 07, 2018, 03:40:38 AM
Initiative Order:
27 Lahwi attacking Club Man
17 Spear Woman attacking Yarla
15 Yarla attacking Spear Woman
15 Indattu attacking Club Man?
14 Sword Man attacking Murdus
14 Club Man attacking Lahwi
9 Mystery Alley Man (Heard, but as-yet-unseen)
8 Murdus attacking Sword Man

The sword wielding man is cautious, and reserves 35 points of his 70 OB for parry.
The spear wielding woman reserves 20 points of her 60 OB.
The club wielding man is a rash fellow, reserves only 10.  He has 55 total OB.

I have Yarla’s attack, so why doesn’t everyone else give me their attack roll, and we’ll resolve actions in that order.  Your three opponents have AT 10. 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 07, 2018, 03:52:56 AM
Yes, I attack club man.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 08, 2018, 05:50:52 AM
Round One:
1.  Lahwi attacks the club-wielding man with his axe:
Roll 36 + 67 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -10 Opponent’s OB + -21 DB = 82.  Crit roll 81.
Result: “A” Criticial. 14 Hits, Stunned for 5 rounds, 6 hits of bleed damage a round, +20 to your next attack.

2. The woman jabs her spear at Yarla:
Roll 14 + 40 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -55 DB = 9.
Result: Jab and a miss!

3.  Indattu attacks the club-wielding man (who has already used his parry OB):
Roll 74 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -21 DB = 150.
Indattu also uses his Ambush skill:
Roll 72 + 97 = 168.  Critical Roll 63+26 = 89
Result: “E” Critical, Success on Ambush.  12 Hits, Foe drops and dies in 12 rounds.

4.  Yarla attacks the spear woman:
Roll 91 + 52 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -20 Opponent’s OB + -21 DB = 112.  Crit roll 60.
Result:  “C” Critical.  24 Hits, foe stunned and cannot parry for 1 round.  1 bleed damage per round.

5.  The watcher from the market attacks Murdus:
Roll 37 + 35 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -29 + -15 DB = 38.
Result:  Miss!

6.  The club-wielding man’s attack on Lahwi:
Incapacitated.

7.  The mystery man in the alley casts Mentalist Base — Mind Attack — Jolts III at Lawhi
Roll 90 + 24 skill = 114.  Spell cast successfully.
Spell Attack Mod. Roll: 11 = +60 to Lahwi’s RR
Lahwi’s RR Roll 66 + 6 Ment. Bonus + 60 Spell Attack Mod. = 132.
Result.  Lahwi easily shrugs it off.

8.  Murdus attacks the sword-wielding man.
Roll 41 + 10 Deliberate Action = 51.
Result:  Miss.

The several residents of this area scatter in terror.  A woman screams.
1.  The Paladin struck first, and caught the over-enthusiastic club-wielding man right as he stepped into his swing, dealing him a massive wound.  The man is stunned.
2.  Physically, the spear-wielding woman is a match for the Gutian.  But Yarlaganda easily avoids her spear-tip.
3.  Relying on his training, the clever Elamite, darts toward his stunned opponent.  His dagger plunges just below the man’s collar bone.  The club-wedding man drops his club, then drops himself.  He will die in 12 rounds.
4.  Yarlaganda throws his spear at the woman, and lucky for her, she was wearing leather greaves.  The spear strikes her thigh, inflicting a minor wound to her leg, and stunning her for a round.
5.  The cautious sword-wielding man moves to strike Murdus, but the Maganite easily parries the strike.
6.  The rash man with club is dying.  You think you hear him attempting to gasp something, but you can’t make it out.
7.  The other voice from the alley now appears about 100’ away, in the middle of the street.  He must have used some kind of magic to conceal himself until now.  He places his index fingers on the side of his head, looks at Lahwi, and shouts.  Lahwi feels the power of the spell hit him, but he resists its effect.
8.  Murdus spends the round so focused on his parry, that his attack whiffs.

The newcomer looks rather disappointed that his spell failed.  He's older than the others, and dressed in a soft leather breastplate, with no greaves.  He has a short sword at his side.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 08, 2018, 12:53:15 PM
Yarlaganda

Gods, what a woman! he thinks. From the neck down, anyway. Such a waste...

He draws his sword and attacks her.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 08, 2018, 03:33:05 PM
Murdus

*opens his eyes"

Thinks "I'm still alive?"

Says to the sword-wielding assailant "Oh.. that man over there is injured.. I really should see to his wounds... do you mind not attacking me for a while?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fully Parry ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 09, 2018, 02:43:20 AM
With a cruel laugh, the man redoubles his efforts to strike Murdus.

The woman is stunned, and can only parry with half of her OB. cannot parry.

The mentalist begins to cast again.

Edit: Fixed!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 09, 2018, 07:41:33 AM
Lahwi,

the Amorite pressed his attack, +134 for attack and no parry since his oponent was stunned (+20) + 10 Deliberate Action = 164 OB.

Rolled 1d100+164 : 14 + 164, total 178

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 09, 2018, 07:56:05 PM
Initative Order, Round Two:
26 Lahwi (DW)
23 Indattu (Kantron)
20 Yarla (Barrow)
18 Swordsman
14 Murdus (GB)
11 Spearwoman
6 Mentalist
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 09, 2018, 09:55:57 PM
Round Two Combat

Snap Phase:
1.  The paladin moves to attack the spearwoman.
3.  Yarla draws his sword.
7.  The Mentalist tries to sprint away before casting.
Sprint Away Moving Maneuver:  Roll 2 + -64 (Low O-E Result) = -62
Result:  Only moves 10% of his Sprint Speed.
Sprint rate is 159.  159 X .1 x. 2 = He gets 3 feet away.

Normal Action Phase:
2.  Indattu begins to fast sprint towards the Mentalist:
Fast Sprint Moving Maneuver:  Roll 6 + 18 Sprinting skill bonus = 24.
Result on Moving Maneuver Table = 60 percent of his his movement.
Fast Sprint Rate 296 per round times .6 = 177.6
Indattu can only cover 177.6 feet this round.  The mentalist is 100 feet away, but reaching him will require 57% of your action, not enough for an attack this round.
You cover 88.8 feet during this phase.

7.  The Mentalist Attempts to cast Closed Mentalism — Speed — Haste I on himself as an instantaneous normal action (10% activity) and use the rest of his action to flee.
Roll: 1 -87 (Low O-E Second Roll) + 26 Spell List Bonus + -35 Above Level Penalty = -96
Result:  Spectacular Spell Failure: Roll 70 - (-35x3) = 175
Result:  Mentalist takes 4 hits and is stunned for 2 rounds.

Deliberate Action Phase:
1. The Paladin attacks the woman:
Roll 14 + 134 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + 20 Stunned Opponent + -21 DB= 143.
Result “E” Critical” 27 Hits.  Foe stunned and cannot parry for another round.  Another 3 bleed hits a round for the woman.
2.  Indattu covers another 88.8 feet and reaches the Mentalist, but not with enough action left to attack.
3.  Yarla draws his sword and attacks the woman:
Roll 64 + 81 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate Action + 20 Stunned Opponent + -20 Part of Round Spent Drawing Weapon -21 DB = 149
Result “E” critical.  22 hits.  Leg greaves blocked all but the concussion damage.
4.  The swordsman attacks Murdus:
Roll 4 + -93 (Low O-E Second Roll) + 35 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -15 DB + -29 Murdus OB = -88.
Result:  Utter Failure.
5.  Murdus’s attack against the swordsman:
Roll 14 + 10 Deliberate Action + -35 Opponent’s Parry + -24 DB = -35.
Result:  Failure.
6.  The Spearwoman is dead.

Narrative:
While Lahwi moves to attack the spearwoman, Yarla draws his sword.  The mentalist makes eye-contact with the thief, and resolves to quit this ill-fated attempt. He attempts to flee, but only makes it 3 feet.

1.  As Lahwi swerves to attack the tall woman, and catches her in the stomach with his axe.  She doubles over as the paladin swings his axe free.
2.  The nimble thief fast sprints toward the mentalist.  But his muscles won’t move as fast as he would like them to, and he won’t make it to the mentalist in time this round.
3.  Yarla slashes the woman.  He catches her in the leg, and while her greaves prevent a bloodier end, the impact finishes her off.  She collapses, her legs knocked out from under her.
4.  Despite his anger, the swordsman misses Murdus by a mile.
5.  Murdus, however, is more concerned with his parry, and again fails to hit the man.
6.  Dead from the combined attack of Yarla and Lahwi, the dead woman lies slowly bleeding out in the street.
7.  The mentalist tries to cast Haste on himself, but this fails badly as well.  The feedback damages his mind, and he’s stunned, ending his retreat.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 09, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Yarlaganda

moves to attack the swordsman assailing Murdus. He'll attack from behind if he can, or failing that, his flank.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 09, 2018, 11:59:06 PM
Lahwi

will try to close on the fighter attacking Murdus (+67 OB, +10 deliberate attack, +67 parry). Initiative folllowed by attack roll,
Rolled 2d10+14 : 10, 8 + 14, total 32
Rolled 1d100+77 : 98 + 77, total 175

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 10, 2018, 12:00:13 AM
Here goes the 2nd open ended roll,
Rolled 1d100+175 : 58 + 175, total 233
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 10, 2018, 10:30:26 AM
Just to make sure it is clear, I continue against the mentalist to attack.  This declaration of action also applies into the next round.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 10, 2018, 01:40:53 PM
Murdus

Surprised not only to be still alive.. but also at the incompetence of his opponent he completely fails do come up with an original offensive action himself.

"Are you all right?" he says..

------------------

Full Parry...

OOP: Did he fumble? (Not sure what the fumble range for a "sword" is... depends on the sword... but it would 've been close.)

 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 10, 2018, 02:08:17 PM
OOP: Did he fumble? (Not sure what the fumble range for a "sword" is... depends on the sword... but it would 've been close.)
It was close.  I actually thought it was a fumble at first, but I'm using the attack tables from RMFRP Arms Law 5810, which lists the fumble range as UM 01-02.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 11, 2018, 04:20:52 AM
Round Three Order:
32 Lahwi
20 Yarla
19 Indattu
17 Swordsman
10 Mentalist
8 Murdus

The swordsman knows that this whole encounter is a disaster.  During his turn, he’s going to parry with his full OB and offer to surrender.
The mentalist is stunned, and is too dazed to risk running away again.  He’s going to draw his sword, and full parry (halved for stun).

OOC:  I noticed that with full parry, you get the +5 “shield” bonus for your weapon listed on p. 214 of RMFRP.  I hadn’t been giving this to Murdus, but will start now.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 11, 2018, 04:59:31 AM
Round Three Combat
Snap Phase:
1.  Lahwi moves to attack swordsman
2.  Yarla joins Lahwi.
5.  Mentalist draws his sword.

Deliberate Phase:
1.  Lahwi attacks the swordsman:
Roll 98 + 58 (OE 2nd) + 67 OB + 10 Deliberate + -24 DB + -70 Parry OB + -5 (Full Parry Weapon Shield Bonus) = 134.
Result “D” Critical, 24 hits.  Opponent forced back and must parry next round.

2. Yarla attacks the swordsman:
Roll 100 + 3 OE 2nd + 81 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate - 24 DB = 185
Result “E” Critical, 21 hits.  Opponent forced back and must parry next round.

3. Indattu attacks the Mentalist:
Stalking Maneuver, Roll 70 + 115 Skill Bonus = 185.
Result: Absolute Success, treat as +5 ranks for maneuver.
Attack Roll 31 + 89 OB + -3 DB + -12 Half Parry OB = 105
Result “B” Critical, 8 hits, but that doesn’t matter.  Strike to foe’s eyes, instant death.

4. Swordsman full parries, and does not attack.

5. The Mentalist is dead.

6. Murdus attacks the swordsman.
Roll 33 + 10 Deliberate Action + -24 DB = 19.
Result Miss.

Narrative:
As this stage of combat begins, the paladin and the Gutian move in on the swordsman who’s been harassing Murdus.  The Mentalist seems to recognize that he cannot escape the assassin now, so he draws his sword and prepares to fight defensively.

1 & 2.  Lahwi and Yarla’s combined attack inflict significant impact damage on the swordsman, and press him back on his feet.  He’ll be fighting defensively for now.
3.  The Mentalist’s worst mistake was entering this fight, and his fate was sealed the moment the shifty Elamite moved toward him.  Indattu leaps forward, and with a deadly precision that would make his teachers alternatively proud and terrified, he stabs the magic-user between the eyes, killing him instantly.
4.  The swordsman knows he’s beat, and spends his turn in full parry.  “All right,” he says, “You’ve got me!  Disengage, and I’ll surrender!”
5.  Indattu has wrenched his blade from the mentalist’s ruined face.  It takes a moment for the lifeless corpse to crumple to the pavement.
6.  Murdus continues to toy with the swordsman, who now has more than enough to worry about.

What do you do now?  The swordsman has offered his surrender.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 11, 2018, 05:16:44 AM
Murdus

"If you don't mind dropping your weapon, I'll accept your surrender.... for one, I'd like to know who you are." he says, still a little shocked at all the violence around him.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 11, 2018, 11:45:16 AM
Yarlaganda

stops his attack, but remains wary of treachary. He keeps his sword and shield ready.

(OOC: Yarla does not attack. He will take a 10% action for Alertness (to see if he's missing something) and use the remaining 90% to parry if needed).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 11, 2018, 10:41:42 PM
To the Sword's man:  Whom sent you?  What was your mission?

Consider your words wisely.  You have seen what I can do.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 12, 2018, 02:35:12 AM
Yarlaganda notices nothing amiss.  The swordsman steps back and drops his sword.

OOC: Before the swordsman gives his answers, we need DW's input here.  His character has the Bloodlust flaw, which means that he'll have to roll 1d100 and add his SD bonus x3.  Only if the result is over 100 can he prevent himself from attempting to kill the swordsman.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 12, 2018, 09:05:55 PM
Lahwi succeeds at his roll.

The swordsman throws down his sword.  He crosses his arms.

"I'm not telling you anything.  Go ahead and ransom me, or sell me into slavery."  With a grim smile, he glances from one of his fallen comrades to the other.  "Sue me, if you will!  I'm sure I can compensate you for your losses."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 13, 2018, 12:35:38 AM
The Amorite tries to tell if he belongs to his people that migrated to Sumer from Canaan; whether he might be Akkadian; or Sumerian.

He cleaned the blood from his axe and asked the swordsman, "Why did you attack us? Who paid you?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 12:55:09 AM
Yarlaganda

likewise wipes his sword, and sheathes it. He checks his fellows for signs of wounds, and seeing none, stoops to pick up Murdus' satchel. He returns it to the animist.

"You dropped this, Wise One," he says, using his tribe's honrific for a respected elder. "I'll check on the others," he says to Lahwi.

He'll go first to the club-man, who was still gasping and gurgling the last time the Gutian checked.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 13, 2018, 01:30:17 AM
I say to the rest of our Party:  I could work on some poisons which are painful, deadly, and take a long time to work.  OTOH, there are other ways we can do this [as I slowly clean off my dagger].

Of course if he were to talk...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 02:55:57 AM
The swordsman laughs.  “Listen to me,” he says, “Whatever you could do to me, it can’t be any worse than what my employer would do if he found out I gave you information.  He covets information like a miser covets silver.”

Lahwi believes that this man is local.  He speaks Babylon’s dialect of Akkadian perfectly (10 Ranks in Spoken Akkadian) and has none of the dialectical tells that would indicate he was from somewhere else.  He looks either Akkadian or Amorite, and is well-groomed enough that that you believe he’s a free man.

The man watches as Yarlaganda inspects the body of the club-wielding man.  The dying man lies in a gradually expanding pool of dark blood, and he’s stopped moving.  He’s breathing, but would need significant healing to save his life.

The swordsman’s smile fades as he watches the man die.  In a low voice he says, “I can’t tell you what you want to know, not as long as I’m in Babylon.  But I could be persuaded to change my mind, if you could pay me enough silver to get my wife and children out of town, where I can set myself up in one of the villages.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 03:06:08 AM
Yarlaganda

asks the dying man, “Who sent you?” as he searches him. "You fought poorly. But answer me quickly, and I shall see you die with a weapon in your hand." Then, perhaps, your soul will find its way to your ancestors' halls, he thinks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 04:11:43 AM
The dying man doesn't respond, at least not verbally.  At first, you weren't sure that the man was even conscious, but something must have registered in his mind.  His body spasms, and when you move closer, he vomits blood into your face and gives up the ghost.  That certainly could have gone better.

In addition to his AT 10 leather armor and dark clothing, the thug has the club, and a small bag tucked into one of his arm greaves that contains 3 SP worth of silver.  He also has a small figure with him.  The image is of a female goddess.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 04:15:38 AM
Yarlaganda

wipes the bloody vomit from his face the best he can, and fights to no retch, himself.  He’ll take the silver and figure, and then move to search the woman.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 04:31:23 AM
The woman is quite dead.  She also wears leather armor and greaves, which were constructed in the exact same way as her companion's armor.  They must have the same tailor.

She has the spear, and four daggers at her belt.  Yarlaganda should roll Alertness or Observation.

She has two pouches on her belt.  One contains 3 SP worth of silver, and the other a small tablet and three sprigs of a leafy red herb.  Someone with Herb Lore could try to identify this, or you could try to identify it with your Flora Lore skill (a Flora Lore bonus is halved when used to identify herbs).  Note that in either case this maneuver is Routine (+30), for reasons that will be apparent when someone successfully identifies it.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 04:46:34 AM
Yarlaganda notices nothing more than described above about the woman or her things.  He does not know what the herb is for. 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 04:49:48 AM
Yarlaganda

Since nothing seems amiss, he’ll unbuckle her belt and take it. He’ll also grab her silver.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 05:05:45 AM
The little statue of the club-wielding man:

(https://i.imgur.com/6lpa053.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 13, 2018, 06:29:46 AM
Murdus

"Ah, yes...thank you." he says taking the satchel back and hefting it back across one shoulder.

"Foolish me, I'd be misplacing my own head if I could not be separated from it.." he says with a giggle looking around at the carnage.

"...and that seems quite the possibility around here.."

He looks briefly at the 'hasn't got a sword anymore' man and listens to his conditions.. (About getting his family from town)

"Well, I'm sure that could be a possibility.... it seems your companions fared... badly." He says bending down and recovering the man's sword.

"I've no real need for silver, I can't say the same for my companions, but I appreciate your concern for your family... and well, it appears as even the streets here are a dangerous place... perhaps you'd consider the payment as continued employment for me, as we are travelling to, umm......Somewhere... along a route that an extra sword maybe of use. Your employer whomever they are would soon become aware of the fate of his lackeys....and their failure to achieve their task. Especially if we were let you to go free." He leaves the offer/question hanging as his attention is momentarily drawn away by the looting..

"Oh, herbs..."

==================
Herb Lore.... 190 +30 (routine) = 220...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 01:05:06 PM
The swordsman thinks on it for a moment.  "All right," he says, "my name is Abi-eqar" [an Amorite name]. I can meet you at the Ištar Gate.  How soon can we leave?"

Murdus knows the herb instantly.  It's šammu ṣūhim (OB. “Herb of Love-Making”) a common aphrodisiac.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 02:17:57 PM
Yarlaganda

rolls up the belt with the knives, and slings it over his shoulder for now.  He wonders if they might be poisoned, but he’ll look at them more closely, later.”

He tosses the club man’s silver and the statuette down between Indattu and Lahwi. “From your kill,” he explains. He looks at Abi-Eqar skeptically. “We are to trust him now?” he asks Murdus. “Come, let me blood these new daggers on him, and test his loyalty.”

He tries not to think about the implications of the tall woman’s herbs. We took the wrong bandit prisoner, he mopes.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 02:34:50 PM
You also have the tablet you found with the woman’s herbs.  It has writing on it, but the Gutian is illiterate.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 02:48:06 PM
(Thanks, missed that!)

Yarlaganda

hands the woman’s tablet to Murdus as he eyes the swordsman.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 13, 2018, 05:29:54 PM
Murdus

"Leave?"  he replies as he ponders the tablet he is just given. "Oh. yes... leave, that's what we were doing.. leaving" he says looking at the corpses and then back at Abi-eqar.

He starts to leave, then stops.

"at least...before we were interrupted." He then turns to Yarlaganda.

"This man, well, to kill him achieves little.. other than to add to the carnage... I'm not going to question his loyalty.. to either his former master or to his vanquishers.. umm. Us.  His presence with us not only ensures his silence but also retains a possibility of additional information from him in the future."

Looks at the man's sword and the tablet... then comes to a decision. "It's a fair trade..." and gives Yarlaganda the man's sword.

"Keep this... if he acts honourably till the city limits, then it is your choice how to return it to him." he then turns to the captive.

"For the moment, I hope you realise we cannot allow you to go free.. even for a moment. Come with us now."

IF he sounds agreeable:

Turns back to Yarlaganda "I'll tie him to my donkeys reins till we reach the city limits... the donkey's temperament is a burden and its cart enough to shackle I think.." He smiles.

--------------------------------------------
OOC:
If no-none want the herbs, he'll take them.. but not imbibe them.. ;) (put them in a spare belt pouch)
He'll look at the tablet only briefly before putting it in the satchel... he has Written: Akkadain 7
     
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 13, 2018, 06:07:07 PM
Yarlaganda

scowls as he accepts the sword, but nods. “As you say, Wise One.” To an outsider, the animist might seem vacuous and scatter-brained at times, but the Gutian had seen the man rend strong walls to dust with his engineering magics. There was wisdom there, though it was not always apprent.

He is less forthright about handing over the herbs, however; he keeps about half of them in his palm and returns them to his baggage.

He rolls up the knife belt and also tucks it into his baggage, for later inspection.

“Have you claimed your spoils?” he asks Indattu, gesturing towards the magic-man’s corpse. “He may have gold in his belly.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 13, 2018, 06:11:37 PM
"I agree to your terms," Abi-eqar says.  "My family resides in Tuba District near the Šamaš Gate.  You may accompany me there if you want.  If I am to leave, sooner would be better, before my employer comes looking for me.  I will reveal all I know to you once we're outside of the city."

Tuba District is relatively close to you now.  It's on this side of the river, south of the bridge you crossed this morning.  It's an older, less-affluent neighborhood of Babylon, with a mix of residences and shops.  The Šamaš Gate is one of the southern gates out of the city.

The woman's tablet is a love incantation:
Potency, potency, potency! I have made a bed for potency!
What Ištar does for Dumuzi,
What Nannay does for her lover,
What Išara does for her mate,
Let me do for my lover!
Let the flesh of Abi-eqar, son of Awīl-Adad, tingle,
Let his ;) stand erect,
May his ardor not flat, night or day!
By command of the Capable Lady, Ištar, Nannay, Gazbaba, Išara.


Does Murdus choose to read this to his companions?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 14, 2018, 07:01:04 AM
Murdus

"All is good then it seems..." he then turns to Yarlaganda...

" A small diversion... may serve to further confound... but the herbs... I'd not suggest you take them in haste, especially when aroused by combat, twill simply make you a bigger target my young fellow..." Sniggers...

OOC: But neither spent the time to fully read the tablet or disclose it's contents. ;) He simply wanted to know if he *could* read it..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 14, 2018, 07:31:51 AM
To Lawhi: Split the silver in half?

thinks to myself: this arrangement fascinates me.  I will go along with it, for now.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 14, 2018, 02:04:45 PM
Murdus
" A small diversion... may serve to further confound... but the herbs... I'd not suggest you take them in haste, especially when aroused by combat, twill simply make you a bigger target my young fellow..." Sniggers...

Yarlaganda

laughs heartily.

He takes his camel’s reins (Some fine help you were, he thinks as he pats the beast, who did not move throughout the combat), and still laughing, starts to lead him towards the Šamaš Gate. He’ll remain vigilant for any more threats.

If no one else does so first, he’ll stop at the magic-man’s corpse and search it as well.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 14, 2018, 02:16:46 PM
The mentalist wears a soft leather breastplate, dark clothing, and a cape without a hood.  Of course, given his rather violent death, all of the clothing is soiled and bloody.  He also wears a charm of protection against the evil eye (+10 RRs v. Essence and Channeling).  You also find a small tablet with one line of writing, and 3SP.

It seems that you're on your way out of town.  Now would be a good time for anyone to take care of any tasks they would like to complete before leaving, like shopping, etc.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 14, 2018, 02:27:54 PM
OOP:

Murdus, will probably acquire some dried food (Nuts, dried fruit etc) and watered wine (or something similar) from street traders for the journey. Whilst doing so he'll be trying to pick up local hearsay about the route.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 14, 2018, 03:18:07 PM
Yarlaganda

will give the tablet to Murdus. He’ll hand the silver to Indattu the Thief, and show him the charm.

“This was on your kill. I will trade you the woman’s  belt of knives for it,” he offers, rummaging through his pack and pulling out the belt for Indattu’s consideration.

(OOC: After any discussion with Indattu, he’ll look for an arms/ armor vendor).

“I have two sets of greaves, and three leather breastplates, all slightly used. And a spear and club. that are in good shape. Also, three cadavers... I will entertain offers on any and all of these items.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 14, 2018, 08:44:46 PM
Lahwi,

will accept the offer of Indattu. He'll keep an eye on the prisoner and wary ere he runs away.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 15, 2018, 04:36:26 AM
GB:  Unless you really want to, I'm comfortable declaring that the party has sufficient provisions for the journey, of whatever reasonable kind your characters prefer.  At least for right now, you're going to be traveling in civilized areas, where you can re-provision regularly.  Of course, if you head into the desert, or the mountains...:rolleyes: but I'll give you warning of that.

GB hears several rumors as the party passes through the city.  (Whether he remembers them is another matter entirely...)

1.  Ešnunna's generals have sent several large raiding parties into the border areas.  This is unusual, not only for the number of parties sighted, but for how much manpower they must be taking away from the rest of the armed forces.  General opinion is that the enemy city-state is mismanaged, and that it's king is an incompetent pawn of his privy council.
2. Three Elamite ambassadors (and their retinue) entered Babylon two days ago.  The average Babylonian is decidedly anti-Elamite, and public opinion is that they're up to no good.  While several people claim to have seen the envoys or their agents in town, most people trust in the spy network of Sîn-bēl-alpim, Hammu-rapi's "minister of foreigners" to keep them in check.
3. A large white lion has been sighted in the hinterlands with a pride of twenty females and cubs.  An important local diviner (OB. bārûm) has declared that this is a sign of Ištar's favor -- and a sign that the coming campaign season will be a bloody affair.
4. Several travelers who entered the city this morning reported witnessing a very large and disturbing cloud on the eastern horizon yesterday evening.  From the description, you believe this to have been in the direction you'll be traveling.
5. Ahum, son of Sumu-laba, is the latest local celebrity. Last week, his one-eyed jenny gave birth to two twin foals with six eyes between them.  If you see him, you can share in the gods' favor if you buy him a drink.

Barrow:  ;) Making me crack open Gamesmaster Law (ICE 5807), which always makes my day.  (The relevant section begins on p. 96; we'll use the "simple system").  Yarla needs to roll an OE 1d100 and add -4 (-15, No Trading ranks, but your Influence category bonus is 11).  Also, as you're going to be passing through a neighborhood with a lot of shops and individuals who can direct you to interested locals, I'm going to rule that this is an Easy (+20) maneuver.  So give me 1d100 + 16.

You guess that no one will want the bodies.  You could strip them and leave them in the street, and eventually one or the other of the locals would dispose of them, or perhaps their friends and relatives will collect them.

You aren't worried about any kind of local authority, at least not right now.  The modern concept of a police force doesn't exist at this point, and the king would only use the military if there was a serious threat to the whole city.  Instead, crimes are handled as civil matters.  So the family of your dead opponents would have to file a lawsuit against you, but of course, you have a pretty good defense since you weren't the initial aggressors.

Kantron:  Does Indattu accept Yarla's trade offer?  If you do take the daggers, give me an OE 1d100 + your Poison Lore skill bonus + 10 Light Difficulty.

DW:  Your prisoner seems to accept his fate, and allows himself to be led.  As he passes the woman and the man formerly known as "club-wielding", his expression is grim.  You hear him mutter a prayer to Šamaš and his consort Ayya. Abi-eqar will give you directions to his home when you get close to it.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 15, 2018, 05:54:18 AM
Yarlaganda
“Have you claimed your spoils?” he asks Indattu, gesturing towards the magic-man’s corpse. “He may have gold in his belly.”

Gold?

I draw my knife as I proceed to check into the truth of that statement.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 15, 2018, 07:07:08 AM
Murdus

"I'll be more than willing to help you in any trade negotiations... or appraisals... after all, if we are travelling together...it only makes sense" He mentions to the party in passing.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 15, 2018, 06:46:03 PM
Barrow:  Yarla fails to find any purchasers.  Perhaps the local Babylonians are a bit frightened by the Gutian’s stern voice and towering stature?  Maybe you take the scatter-brained Maganite up on his offer to help?  (Murdus’s bonus is 38, +20 for the Easy difficulty for a total bonus of +58).

Kantron:  No gold in there, just the remains of the man’s last meal.  You should really check out those daggers though...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 15, 2018, 10:54:44 PM
(OOC Maybe it was the bloody vomit still dripping from his hair?  :lol: Yes, he’ll take Murdus up on his offer.)

Yarlaganda

turns to Murdus. “Maybe you’ll have better luck.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 16, 2018, 04:00:11 PM
Initially, Murdus finds an armor merchant who is willing to purchase the items for 75% of their normal price, but Murdus uses his knowledge of the leather and armor markets to talk the man up.  He offers you 100% of their fair market value, and agrees to take the spear and club off of your hands as well.  After all, the campaign season is about to begin.

1 SP Arm Greaves
1 SP Arm Greaves
1.2 SP Leg Greaves
1.2 SP Leg Greaves
1 SP Soft Leather Breastplate
4.5 SP Rigid Leather Breastplate
4.5 SP Rigid Leather Breastplate
2.3 SP Spear
.01 Club
-----------
16.71 SP total.  Good job guys.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 16, 2018, 08:41:39 PM
Yarlaganda

shakes his head in wonder at Murdus’ skill. What did he do differently than I? he wonders, wiping bloody vomit from his brow. The man truly has strong magics.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 16, 2018, 10:30:58 PM
Within moments of leaving the armor merchant, Abi-eqar directs the party to a winding, narrow alley.  You have no trouble noticing that he's looking around you, at the corners of buildings, behind carts, and at the rooftops.  He seems nervous.

"My family lives eight ašlātum {480 meters, roughly 1575 feet} into that lane," he says, nodding his head at the alley entrance.  "My wife should be at home, with my middle child and infant daughter.  If we're lucky, my eldest is also there.  We own a small cart, and I can borrow a donkey from my wife’s brother, who lives next door.  It won't take us long to collect our things."

OOC:  How do you play this?  Do you follow him into the alley?  Let him go by himself?  This is a neighborhood of poorer families and small, family-owned businesses.  There are many people and animals around going about their lives.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 17, 2018, 07:28:27 AM
Murdus

"It would be best if one of us assists with the collection of your family...Perhaps my friend here.." he says glancing towards Yarlaganda.

"But if it won't take long to collect things, you have no need for a cart, you can use mine.. and donkey. It is unnecessary to bother your wife's brother." he says.

"I do not want to tarry long here, the agreement was for safe passage with your immediate family... not all of your bulky possessions, they can be left here in care of your wife's family.. since they live nearby,  who you can contact after we have left the city.."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 17, 2018, 07:53:50 AM
Abi-eqar sighs and looks up at the tall Gutian.  "All right," he says, "But you're going to take a bit of explaining.  The sooner we get out of here the better."

OOC:  Observation, Alertness, Lie Perception, Sense Ambush -- all of these things are options right now.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 17, 2018, 09:43:51 AM
Lahwi

The Amorite will take a short look of the surroundings scratching his short black beard for fleas existant in this neighbourhood (See thread for rolling dice).

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 17, 2018, 11:53:24 AM
Kantron:  No gold in there, just the remains of the man’s last meal.  You should really check out those daggers though...

I do everything I can to identify the daggers.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 17, 2018, 01:50:49 PM
Yarlaganda

nods, but doesn’t speak. He turns to Gamesh and pulls his shield down again. He looks down the alley, at the corners, the people, the windows, the rooftops... watching, listening...

Danger? he asks Gamesh.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 17, 2018, 05:22:23 PM
Kantron:  There’s a paste coating the blades of each of the daggers.  You suspect this is poison, but you can’t tell exactly which one right now (Roll = 64, Failure).  Perhaps if you tried again in a couple of hours?  Or alternatively, stabbed someone and watched the effects.

DW and Barrow's Observation:  Both of you scrutinize the area carefully, and you detect no signs of observation or hidden foes.  Lahwi is particularly certain that no one has followed you.

For simplicity’s sake (and to save multiple rolls) I’m going to rule that these Observation rolls are good for the duration of your stop here, unless the scene changes dramatically.

Is Yarla going to escort Abi-eqar the rest of the way?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 17, 2018, 08:26:11 PM
Is Yarla going to escort Abi-eqar the rest of the way?

Yes. He'll leave his spear behind, sword and shield only.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 17, 2018, 09:32:03 PM
Kantron:  There’s a paste coating the blades of each of the daggers.  You suspect this is poison, but you can’t tell exactly which one right now (Roll = 64, Failure).  Perhaps if you tried again in a couple of hours?  Or alternatively, stabbed someone and watched the effects.

[as I put the daggers into storage] To the open group: I think they were trying to poison us.  I will continue thinking about this.  I might figure out what poison was used.  This could help determine who is behind this.

We must be careful.  First rule of assassination:  When in doubt kill the assassins.  There may be future attacks to cover up their tracks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 17, 2018, 10:43:03 PM
Yarlaganda

leans in to whisper in Abi-Eqar’s ear. “Did you hear that? You’re a marked man. Your employer will kill you, if you last that long. Perhaps you’ll have an accident, in the alley. Perhaps my blade... will slip.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 17, 2018, 10:53:12 PM
Murdus

"Poison? Oh... what kind, blade venom?" he says... he'd seen the others pass stuff around, pick stuff up.. and in one case disembowel a corpse. He wasn't to sure of the wisdom of such actions but they did probably save his life.. so it probably wouldn't hurt to offer advice.

"I have a small amount of knowledge.. of naturally occurring poisons and such noxious substances but cannot profess to any skill in its use...

---------------------

Poison Lore +63
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 17, 2018, 11:09:15 PM
While the rest of the party waits, Yarlaganda accompanies a very nervous Abi-eqar to his home.  The man is visibly shaking now, and he's sweating profusely.

(https://i.imgur.com/XqG36Q7.jpg)
(I really wish this image was larger)

The Gutian finds a modest two-story structure, with a small courtyard or garden on the side.  Yarla figures that the house has one room on the lower floor, with a ladder leading up to the upper-level.

The first member of the household he sees is a male child of about eight years.  The child looks up from some kind of animal he's been sculpting out of clay.  He wears only a loin cloth and a pair of rudimentary sandals that look too big for him.  The child doesn't speak to you -- it's obvious he's in awe of the tall, one-eyed Gutian.

His father pats him on his shaggy head.  "Your mom home?" the swordsman asks.

"Yep," answers the child, without taking his eyes off of Yarla.

"What about your brother?"

"With mom," says the child.

"Stay here with this man while I go speak with them."

Yarla carefully observes the house and the alley without.  He detects no sign of anything out of place.  The only people he sees are a few normal civilians going about their errands.

While he's watching, the child finally speaks to him.  "What's that red goop in your hair?"

___

While the rest of the party waits outside of the alley, Murdus examines the daggers.  He is quite familiar with the smell and light-green color of the paste, and identifies the poison as the imat lā-dagāl-īnī (OB. "the poison of unseeing eyes").  When he says the name, Indattu can't believe he didn't recognize it before.  This paste is a virulent poison that grows near cool mountain streams.  A person injured by a weapon coated with this poison will receive 1-10 hits, and after three rounds, will become permanently blind.

___

Eventually Yarla returns with the family in tow.  Abi-eqar's wife is a small, thin woman roughly his age.  She wears a modest dress of simple-quality, and covers her head with a head cloth.  She carries a basket on her back and an infant in her arms.  She seems distressed -- or possibly terrified -- by recent developments, and doesn't speak for now.

Deprived of his weapons, the swordsman carries another bag in his hand.  With his free hand, he steadies his middle child, who rides on his shoulders.  From this vantage point the boy can see eye-to-eye with the Gutian, and continues to scrutinize him.

The final member of the household is a thirteen-year-old boy.  He's dressed in a modest kilt and a loose-fitting shirt.  He carries heavy-looking bags in either hand, and there's an old short sword at his belt.

___

Since Yarla left you, Lahwi has been keeping a careful lookout.  As you prepare to leave the alley, the paladin chances to notice a man who comes around the corner, but abruptly stops when he sees the family with the party.  He ducks into the doorway of a building roughly 150 feet away, in the opposite direction from the one you'll take out of the city (so you don't have to pass by him).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 17, 2018, 11:25:43 PM
Yarlaganda

Quote
While he's watching, the child finally speaks to him.  "What's that red goop in your hair?"

The Gutian glowers at the boy. “It is what’s left of the child I ate for breakfast. Now be quiet.”

Yarlaganda follows the family out of the alley. The prisoner was, at least, honest about his family. He’s leery of the thirteen-year-old though... he himself was killing men at that age.

“If your hand touches that sword,” he growls at the teenager, “I’ll have your arm off at the shoulder.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 18, 2018, 01:27:20 AM
The teenager grits his teeth and mutters some kind of insult under his breath.

Even if the boy has some training with the sword, you notice he's very awkward with it belted at his side -- like he's never actually worn it before.  The blade seems old and not very-well-cared-for.  If the boy moved to draw it, you might wonder if the sword would fall apart in his hands.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 18, 2018, 02:55:12 AM
Yarlaganda

ignores the youth's grumbling.

He catches the younger boy looking at him from atop Abi-Eqar's shoulders. He scowls at the boy. "If you don't stop looking at me," he growls, "I will show you my Death-Eye," he threatens, tapping his eye patch.

When they reach the rest of the party, he'll nod to Murdus as the family loads their gear into the wagon. "All's well."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 18, 2018, 07:56:51 AM
Murdus

He nods, then turns to the wife and in an attempt to calm her rather obvious nerves... "Good day, sorry to intrude upon your family routine, but I'm afraid your husbands recent business dealings have not worked as well as he had hoped. However, it would appear that, as one door closes, another opens, so to speak, meaning opportunities have arisen with us. I'm pleased to meet you, I'm Murdus." he says with a smile.   "If you would like to ride atop the cart with the infant you'd be welcome.."

He looks at the youth, smiles at him also.. "We should be going...".

Noticing the boys own burdens....and attitude  " I too have a great burden to carry young man, however, I find constant and gentle travel eases the discomfort...." he leans in, and whispers with a laugh. "Although the Gutian only has one eye....be assured he has two good ears and is quick to temper.. for your families safety... I would remember that."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 18, 2018, 11:53:28 AM
Lahwi

the Amorite quietly warned the Elamite and the Gutian that he noticed a man that upon seeing this family, abruptly stopped and hid into the doorway of a building about 150 feet away.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 18, 2018, 05:13:11 PM
The woman takes Murdus up on his offer, and climbs aboard the cart.  As Abi-eqar hands the baby up to her, she casts her gaze down the alley, tears in her eyes.

The man in the doorway watches you, but does nothing else.  He wears only a modest commoner's garment, and does not appear armed.  When you depart the area, he does not follow.

___

It is late afternoon when you exit Babylon via the Šamaš Gate.  The first thing you pass are several large encampments -- virtual tent cities of foreigners, nomads, merchants, and various military forces whose access into the city Hammu-rapi carefully regulates.

As you cross the river and move around the city to the east, you walk among vast fields and orchards worked by slaves and poor commoners, who are virtually naked, their skin baked by the afternoon sun.  These fields are irrigated by networks of carefully-maintained ditches, which you must cross to proceed on your way.

(https://i.imgur.com/JVpeIHL.jpg)

By nightfall, you've left Babylon behind, and you're proceeding north along the course of the Arahtum branch of the Euphrates River.  This is a rather well-traveled, civilized area of independent family farms and modest villages without walls.  You haven't been followed, unless your pursuers have some glamour that allows them to remain invisible for several hours.

Abi-eqar and his wife have been discussing the family's next step at length.  They make no secret of this.  It seems they plan to leave you tomorrow, at whatever village or small settlement seems most convenient.  The teenager is sullen and awkward, and the baby is quiet as well.  The swordsman's middle child remains fascinated with Yarlaganda.

You've had an eventful day, and should probably rest.  You can find rudimentary lodgings in one of the settlements, or camp out near the road.

At this point, you have several dangling plot threads.  Abi-eqar has promised to give you information.  You also have 1) the two tablets given to you by Warad-Marduk, 2) the woman's tablet, and 3) the small tablet taken from the mentalist.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 18, 2018, 09:26:48 PM
Lahwi

the Amorite quietly warned the Elamite and the Gutian that he noticed a man that upon seeing this family, abruptly stopped and hid into the doorway of a building about 150 feet away.

Yarlaganda

nods and gives the Amorite a friendly thump on the shoulder. "I am happy for your eyes, my friend. And, my thanks for the warning earlier... I did not know the attack was coming."

Quote
You've had an eventful day, and should probably rest.  You can find rudimentary lodgings in one of the settlements, or camp out near the road.

Yarlaganda looks for a suitable campsite as they travel. "I have a tent big enough for four," he reminds Murdus. "And I can provide food, from the wild."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 20, 2018, 05:37:14 AM
5th day of Ayyarum (April 20th, 1767 BCE)
(Like many ancient cultures, a Babylonian day begins at sunset.)

In a small grove of stunted trees, you find a comfortable (everything’s relative out-of-doors) site on which to build your camp.  Abi-eqar’s family chooses to huddle up together, and somewhere out of all of their baggage they begin to produce several heavy blankets.

For a night on the arid Mesopotamian steppe, the weather is not unusual.  The sky above you is clear and the air is cool.  You see no travelers on the road now, and there’s no activity on the river, or out on the steppe.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 20, 2018, 08:38:53 AM
I make a camp for myself

TO THE GROUP: Wake me up only in case of a severe emergency.  I value my privacy.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 20, 2018, 10:13:46 AM
Murdus

Quickly helps set up camp, then has a quick forage of the surrounding area... for food, herbs, interesting pieces of distracting dirt, pebbles, rocks... that sort of stuff. Muttering, apparently to himself most of the time... 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 20, 2018, 02:00:57 PM
Yarlaganda

keeps an eye on the sky as he helps set up camp, for some clue about how comfortably their night might pass. He starts a fire for the main camp, then sets off with his sword and spear in search of something for dinner.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 20, 2018, 04:20:29 PM
Yarla notices nothing unusual about the weather (Roll = Failure).  It’s a normal night, as far as he can tell.

On the other hand, the Gutian’s attempt at setting up camp goes so well, that he finishes in record time (Roll = Success).  In fact, as you start the camp fire, you hear the little boy whisper to his father, “Adda is he a sorcerer?”

Finally, Yarla’s hunting attempt fails to result in a catch.  You detect the tracks of a small herd of gazelle, but in the dark, you can’t quite figure were they went just yet (Result = Partial Success).  Per School of Hard Knocks p. 74, your attempt took four hours.  You can try again, but you might pass the night without sleep, which would dramatically affect your performance the next day.  (I.e., if you woke at 7:00 am the previous day, and have not rested, your exhaustion points will be modified by 5x at 8:00 am the next morning, with an additional 1x every five additional hours without sleep.  Per RMFRP, you need at least 30 minutes of continuous sleep to recover your points and stave off any penalties.



During the night, nothing, human or animal, approaches your camp.

The only noteworthy event is a dream that visits Lahwi.  When he wakes, the paladin can only half-remember two scenes:
1.  An image of the inner sanctuary of E-mašdari — the temple of Bēlet-Akkade, Babylon’s version of the goddess Ištar in her most warlike aspect.  The larger-than-life image of the goddess presides over a long table, set out as if for a banquet.  But the plates are broken shields, the utensils are bloody weapons, and the viands the flesh of strong men.
2.  A battlefield under a dark, sunless sky.  Two armies attack one another, first with the normal weapons of battle, then they fall upon each other like mad animals, tearing at friend and foe alike in a frenzy with teeth and nails.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 20, 2018, 05:20:54 PM
...as you start the camp fire, you hear the little boy whisper to his father, “Adda is he a sorcerer?”

Yarlaganda

chuckles quietly, in spite of himself.

Before he goes hunting, he approaches Abi-Eqar. "Your family may use the tent tonight," he offers. He starts to leave, then hesitates. "Tell me, what was the spearwoman's name? I must pray for her soul to find its way to her ancestors."

---

(He'll try to get some sleep... but first...)

After the failed hunt, the frustrated Gutian will return and bed down for the night, contenting himself to a ration of his travelling food.

Before he turns in, he will approach Murdus (if he's still awake).

"Our guests speak as if they will leave us tomorrow. Should we allow this? Should we find out who this Abi-Eqar's employer was?" His hand moves to his side, where their prisoner's sword still hangs.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 20, 2018, 09:58:17 PM
Lahwi approached the party in the morning and specially the animist, Murdus, and related him his dream. "Nothing but a dream, but what may you do of this, wiseman?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 21, 2018, 03:58:52 AM
The swordsman looks embarrassed, but was it the offer of the tent, or your question about the spear-woman?  “Ayala” he says giving an Amorite name, “And the brash man with the club was Šamaš-rabi.  I didn’t know the other man very well.  Not much of a fighter.  Nabi-Sîn was what he called himself.”  The last two names are Akkadian, and common in Mesopotamia at this time.

Without another word, Abi-eqar begins to usher his family into the tent.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 21, 2018, 09:53:11 PM
Yarlaganda

"Ayala," he says quietly. "Šamaš-rabi. Nabi-Sîn." I will pray for them all, even the sinister magic user.

"My thanks," he says to Abi-eqar. "One thing more," he says before leaving on his hunt, "do not leave tomorrow, without taking your leave of the Wise One," he says, indicating Murdus. "You owe him your life... had he not spared you, myself or the god-warrior (he points to Lahwi) would have ended you."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 22, 2018, 04:06:43 AM
Murdus is in rare form tonight. This area near the river is well-traveled, but he is very familiar with the landscape from his journeys, and could probably survive indefinitely on the steppe with only his wits to feed him.  Scrounging in the area around the camp, he's able to find more than enough vegetables and potable water to survive on.  He also knows that the river is overflowing with fish (OOC: and with those rolls, you shouldn't have any chance catching a few quality ones, if you’re inclined).

When Murdus turns his eye to searching for useful herbs, the benefits of his knowledge in this area are canceled out by the difficultly of finding them in such a heavily-trafficked region.  Still, you're able to find among the vegetation near the river a peculiar kind of aloe called kūṣāyum (OB. “wintry”).  (OOC: You find enough leaves for three doses; these leaves exude a gel that will heal burns within an hour if entirely covered; you know its fair market value is 5 SP per dose).

In the morning you notice several white sprigs of nēhtum (OB. “calm, peace) near where Lahwi slept.  It’s enough for six doses.  You completely missed this herb the night before — it’s almost as if the sprigs grew overnight.  Anxious or mentally disturbed persons chew this herb for its calming effect.  (OOC:  Chewing one dose acts as the Calm I spell with a duration of six hours; you know the fair market value is 0.25 SP per dose).

——

The animist looks at the shining lights of the firmament above him, and knows precisely where he is, and the time of night.  However, based on his meteorological skills, Murdus knows that something isn’t quite right with the weather.  The sky remains clear, but you feel cool gusts of wind from the northeast.  This is strange to you, because you know that spring breezes normally blow from the southwest.

— —

Murdus's assessment of Lahwi's dream is that it is an important omen.  He strongly suspects that the war goddess has specifically chosen to send it to her champion.  It means that a bloody battle has, is, or will take place, and that the slaughter pleases the goddess.  The occurrence of the white sprigs of nēhtum are even stranger.  Why would the war goddess bless you with a herb that represents an anathema to everything her faith professes?

— —

When Yarlaganda tells the swordsman to speak to Murdus before he leaves, the man nods his head.  “Thus far, you’ve all been honest with me, and as I was trying my best to kill you this morning, it’s better than I can expect.  I swear by the names of Šamaš, Ayya and Marduk, I will tell him what I know.

— —

As dawn comes to the banks of the Euphrates, you begin to strike camp.  Murdus still feels that the weather is off.  The wind has died down, and the air is dry.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 22, 2018, 06:31:35 AM
Murdus

Awakens early the next morning, he seems a little at unease, slightly fretful but seems to calm when he sees the embers of the campfire. Retrieves a few pieces of kindling and restores the fires vigour poking it with a stick... then starts... as it hits something.

He slaps his forehead with one hand, smiles, giggles then scoops a few objects from around the edges of the campfire with the stick. "Oh foolish man..."

"These should be baked just about right by now..." he says, to whoevers awake, cracking open one of the now mud-baked fish that he'd caught the night before.

Having then boiled some of the water, he slices and adds some tubers he'd found by the waters edge, making a passable stew. "Enough for everyone I think... even you my friends" he says to the one-eyed Gutian and Lawhi...

"I sense something amiss with the weather... I cannot say for sure but it's certainly an ill-wind..." he frowns, then when the War-Priest recalls his dreams.

"I do not know fully for sure what your God wishes of you, but it seems that it's important enough that she has provided us with aid to prevent your reckless endeavour in combat... perhaps she has bigger plans for you...?"  he says with a wink, whilst referencing the uncommon herbs he'd recovered earlier.

=====================

OOC: Probably best you have a separate thread for the Herbs & other stuff we found...because it will get overlooked otherwise ;)

Please assume that Murdus will always cast "Enhancement" (Lvl 2 Herb Mastery) on ALL the herbs he finds whilst foraging, using the maximum time (and deliberate) before he then prepares them. He has a lot of spare PP so he can cast several per day and still suffer no penalty (Before 25% PP used... 25% is  about 12 PP, so 6 times).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 22, 2018, 02:43:24 PM
Yarlaganda

wakes and feeds Gamesh first. Then he takes one of the baked fish and stew with mixed feelings. His stomach is grateful, but his pride remembers his ineffective hunting the night before. He keeps this disappointment to himself, though. "My thanks," he says to Murdus with a mouthful of delicious fish.

At Murdus' weather declaration, he looks at the sky doubtfully... he still sees nothing amiss. Nor does he note any wind, ill or otherwise.  But again, he keeps his mouth shut and eats his bitter breakfast.

When the time comes, he'll rouse the family and strike his tent. He'll keep an eye on Abi-Eqar, not convinced the swordsman will honor his vow from the night before.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 22, 2018, 06:14:52 PM
Lahwi

thanked Murdus for the fish and ate it with delight. He also kept his eye on Abi-Eqar.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 23, 2018, 03:17:46 AM
The thief is wary this morning, but as he carefully scrutinizes the landscape in the morning light, nothing seems out of place.

Soon after you resume your journey, you come to the place where you must leave the course of the river and set off toward the east.  There’s a small, nameless village here, little more than a collection of one-story mud brick homes surrounded by small irrigated field plots.  There’s no wall to protect these people from an enemy army, or pastoral bandits — their poverty is all the protection they need.

(https://i.imgur.com/e3Oya5w.jpg)

It is here that the swordsman decides to take his leave.  He speaks to his wife, and she and the teenager begin to collect their belongings.  The swordsman motions to the party to follow him, so he can put some distance between him and the rest of his family.  The inquisitive middle child hops down from the cart and follows him, and when Abi-eqar stops, the child wraps himself around one of his father’s legs.

“I’ve been honest with you so far, and I mean to keep the oath I’ve given to the Gutian.  It seems to me that you wouldn’t bring me and my family all this way just to murder us, or sell us into slavery.  When I say what you want to know, you’ll understand my desire to get away from Babylon.  The three of us, that is, Šamaš-rabi, Ayala and myself, have worked for Sîn-bēl-alpim for the past five years.  He’s paid us well, and our strength has never failed us, until yesterday.”

You know that Sîn-bēl-alpim is one of the most important men in Babylon, and almost as famous as the king himself.  He serves on Hammu-rapi’s privy council, and his official title is sukkal ubāri (OB. “Minister of Foreigners”).  In this capacity, he has authority over dealings with foreigners, from ambassadors to poor merchants.  He also has a reputation as a clever spy-master, one who has eyes and ears everywhere.

The swordsman continues, “I’ve done a lot of jobs for him over the years, and most of them I don’t understand.  ‘Kill this person — steal this — take this property and leave it here’ I’ve survived by doing, and not by asking questions or thinking about them overmuch.  Anyway, I was told to watch the eunuch, but not to confront him.  We were told he was probably going to hire someone to deliver some tablets — and we were told to wait until this happened and then take them from whomever he hired.  It would have been simpler to kill the eunuch and take them, but those weren’t our orders.  After we had the tablets, Nabi-Sîn was supposed to take them.  I don’t know for what.”

He turns to go back to his family, and as he begins to pry his son off of his leg, he adds, without looking at you,  “Whatever is on those tablets, if Sîn-bēl-alpim wants it, you should probably give it to him, or make yourselves scarce.  Me, I’m changing my name and starting a new life here, or maybe somewhere further upriver.  It shouldn’t be any of your business now.  Don’t come looking for me.”

— —

OOC:  Yes, I’ve recognized the need for an equipment/money/herbs page, and I’m going to work on that next.  DW sent me some useful material on herbs as well!  :wizi:
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 23, 2018, 06:27:01 AM
Murdus

He thanks the swordsman and wishes him well. Then pats the little boy on the head.

Turning to the rest, he then says, "We should not tarry on this mission... I am keen to be on my way for no doubtless I've neglected something important because of this distraction.. at least this diversion will possibly confound any pursuit.. "
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 23, 2018, 01:10:18 PM
Yarlaganda

returns Abi-Eqar’s sword and scabbard to the man. “Go in peace... but know that if I see you again, I will not assume you are a friend,” he says, ominously.

Then he gives the boy an exagerrated scowl and sticks his tounge out at him. Then he squats, so they are at eye-level, and hands the boy a silver piece.”This is for your mother, and brothers, that they do not go hungry. You must always see to your family.” He gives the boy a small smile and nods at Abi-Eqar.

As they walk away, he says to Murdus:”Sîn-Bēl-Alpim. This could be better news. Perhaps it’s time to see what we can learn from the scribbles? On the outer tablets, and from the loot we gathered?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 23, 2018, 01:27:22 PM
Murdus

He looks a little confused. "Oh... yes. I suppose I should really.... " he looks around for a few moments. " Perhaps later, when we are away from this place.."

And starts to lead the donkey and cart away on the road that leads, more or less, in the direction of that the rest of the party seem to want to go but then stops waiting, almost as if he'd forgotten where exactly he'd intended to go.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 23, 2018, 02:13:20 PM
Yarlaganda

clears his throat and points to the east. “Birsum, Wise One? Shall I lead the way?” he asks, mounting his camel.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 23, 2018, 04:06:43 PM
Murdus

"Birsum? Oh, yes.. that's the place. Yes, yes, probably best...." he says already distracted..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 23, 2018, 10:25:58 PM
The child takes the silver with both hands, looks at it, and responds to Yarlaganda with a big smile.  Then he turns and runs back to his family.  "Umma!, Umma!," you hear him say to his mother, "Look at what the ogre (OB. asakkum) gave me!"

The party strikes off to the east and leaves the family behind.  There’s no true road here, just a path between patches of grass that has been packed down by the feet of traveling animals and men.  During the morning, you do not encounter anyone, although you sight two shepherds off in the distance with their flock.

It’s getting close to noon.  Does anyone want to do anything at this point (i.e., before the next encounter)?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 23, 2018, 10:45:48 PM
Murdus

As he wanders along leading the donkey and cart, he'll be casually perusing the ground, occasionally he'll kick a pebble... and greet the odd weed/shrub, should one be close enough to the *path*.

When, and if, they stop for a break, he'll retrieve the tablets (from the loot...NOT the ones given by the eunuch) and see if they are any further interest... 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 24, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
The woman’s tablet is as stated above.

The short tablet of the mentalist contains the spell Invisibilty II, but the spell has been cast, and the magic discharged.  It’s worthless.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 24, 2018, 01:30:31 AM
Yarlaganda

As they travel, Yarlaganda will ride his camel and range a fair distance ahead of the party (within shouting range). He’ll watch the ground for signs of those who may have gone before, and watch the sky for some sign of the ill weather Murdus spoke of earlier. He’ll also just keep his eyes open in general for anything unusual.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 24, 2018, 03:15:47 AM
OOC:  Excellent rolls.

— —

With his skill at reading tracks, Yarlaganda can tell that for the past few days, many more people and animals have followed this path east than have returned from that direction.  In fact, it seems a lot of people and animals passed this same way recently, probably within the past week.

You now understand what Murdus meant about the weather.  The breeze from the east is wrong, and it even carries a hint of an odd smell — something that sets ill at ease with the Gutian.

A little ways ahead of the party, Yarlaganda is the first to notice a small knot of humans appear in the distance.  There are at least three of them, and one of them seems to be pulling or dragging something behind him.  They are moving at a pace much slower than a walk.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 24, 2018, 05:03:26 AM
(OOC: Can Yarlaganda tell if the group is approaching us, or heading away?)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 24, 2018, 05:21:15 AM
(OOC: Can Yarlaganda tell if the group is approaching us, or heading away?)
They’re headed toward you.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 24, 2018, 08:21:59 AM
Lahwi

dismounted from his donkey awaiting news from Yarlaganda or the passing of this company of men heading toward our group. When they are within eye sight, he'll make an observation.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 24, 2018, 11:35:08 AM
Yarlaganda

casually rides back to his group and makes his report. “I think something has happened along our road. Perhaps a battle, perhaps something else.” He tells them what he has seen, and describes the group approaching them.

“Let us keep heading east, but alter our course to the right a little,” he suggests. “And we will see whether they turn to meet us. That will tell us sometjing about their intentions.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 24, 2018, 02:53:36 PM
OOC:  Partial Success on Observation by Lahwi, no new information.  Luckily, Yarlaganda’s one eye is better than his two.

— —

As they grow closer, Yarlaganda sees that there are, in fact, four people in the group.  At the head of the party is a man wearing only a light loin cloth.  His hands appear bound in front of him.

Behind him are two more men, both armed and dressed in armor.  The first wears a bronze breastplate with greaves, with a sword strapped at his side.  The other wears leather armor without greaves, and also has a sword.  The man in the leather armor seems injured, and is steadying himself on a makeshift crutch.

The man in the bronze breastplate is dragging a makeshift litter behind him, where it appears a fourth person is laying.

They haven’t reacted to your approach, or your turning off the track.

Currently, they’re at a distance of 5,000 feet (0.93 miles, 1.5 km — if you want the Babylonian measurement it's 25 ašlātum, “cords”).  They’re moving roughly 50 feet in a round, so you have more than enough time to make a decision.

How far off the path are you going to get?  (In other words, how much distance do you want to have between you and them, if they continue on their same course.)

You can also make further Alertness or Observation attempts.

-- --

Edit:  Fixed results of Lahwi's Observation.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 24, 2018, 08:37:10 PM
Yarlaganda

will choose a path that leave about 100’ between the parties as they pass.  However, as they get closer, he says to his fellows, “Let me approach them, alone. If we all go, they may feel threatened. But be ready... if I think there’s going to be trouble, I’ll poke the ground with my spear tip three times.”

As they are about to pass the other group, he will veer towards the strangers. He approaches slowly, with his spear laid unthreateningly across his camel’s back, and both his hands visible. If unmolested,  he will stop about 30’ away and raise a hand in greeting.

“Peace,” he calls. “Does he need medicine?” he asks, pointing to the man in the litter.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 24, 2018, 10:03:57 PM
As the group of men get closer, you notice several things about them:
- The lightly-clothed man is young, and many would say he was attractive (Appearance 97).  He wears only the kit, and his exposed skin is sunburned, as if he’s not used to life outside.  He is bound with an old rope, the end of which drags the ground.  He’s the only one of the party uninjured (except for the sunburn).
-  The man with the bronze breastplate, who pulls the litter, is injured.  He’s suffered a head wound, and there is a copious amount of dark dried blood on his bandages.  His armor is dinted.
-  The man on the crutch is bruised and cut.  His leg is probably broken, it’s in an improvised splint.
-  The man on the litter has had his armor removed.  Someone has attempted to provide him first aid, but it appears he has suffered some kind of terrible abdominal injury.  His arm has also been cut badly.  He is very pale.

— —

“Yes!” shouts the man on the crutch, in response to the Gutian’s question.  By his expression, the Gutian gets the sense that the man who pulls the litter is less enthusiastic.

The group stops and the man sets the litter down carefully.  You hear the man who lays there sigh loudly.  The attractive man in the kit takes a few extra steps after the others stop, but the man on the crutch hobbles forward and places an arm on his shoulder.  The attractive man doesn't resist, instead, he sits down in the road.

The man in bronze armor turns to you, sets his legs in a wide stance, and rests his hand on the hilt of his sword.  But he doesn’t draw it.  “Aye,” he says, “We need healing if you can render it.  But first, whence do you come, and whither are you bound?  We didn’t fight our way through an army and the demons of the steppe to be led so easily to our deaths.”

— —

Result of perception rolls:
- Yarlaganda notices only the above.  (Failure)
- Murdus, however, senses something out of the corner of his eye, on the edge of his perception.  (Near Success).  Maybe if he tried again next round (+10), and focused his sight further up the crude path, in the direction from which this new group came.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 24, 2018, 10:44:38 PM
Yarlaganda

Quote
...But first, whence do you come, and whither are you bound?

Yarlaganda looks at the questioner quietly for a moment, considering the man’s claims. Armies? Demons of the steppe?

But, he suppresses his curiosity, for now. Instead he just gives the strangers a casual farewell wave and lazily turns Gamesh around. “Either you want our help, or no,” he calls as he turns. “May the gods smile upon your journey.”  He lets Gamesh walk slowly, giving the stranger time to re-think his situation.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 25, 2018, 02:58:36 AM
There's a moment of silence after you turn around, then you hear the man on the crutch shout, "Hey, wait!" and he immediately begins to implore the man with the breastplate.  You catch snatches of his pleading, "-- This is his only chance -- Look at him!  He'll be dead before we see the Euphrates -- "

-- --

OOC:  I'm going to wait on the results of your Observation/Awareness rolls before their next round when they'll probably make their decision.  Murdus can share his +10 with the rest of the group if he draws their attention to the east.

-- --

Trying to keep track of everyone's positions:

(https://shukamupress.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/map-2.png)

1 Square = 5 feet.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 25, 2018, 07:49:15 AM
Murdus

Seeing the rest divert their path to the injured party he is drawn towards their predicament... and turns towards the main path.

He pauses and turns squinting towards the East... the whiskers of his beard tingling.

He alerts those still with him to his feelings..

"I can feel something amiss.... to the east.. but my eyes, they are not as good as they used to be... over there.." he says nodding to the east.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 25, 2018, 10:21:35 AM
Lahwi

turned east and focussed his sight on the plain (Perception roll).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 25, 2018, 12:22:05 PM
Their attention drawn to the east by the animist, both the theif and the paladin easily observe a pack of large dog-like creatures.  The dogs seem strangely thin, and their fur is an unusual color, as if they’ve been dyed blue-black.  Lahwi also sees a symbol on their flanks.

The canines are moving quickly towards both groups.  There are 11 of them.  At their current pace (240/round) they will reach you in five more rounds (they’re 1200 feet away at the end of this round).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 26, 2018, 01:36:54 PM
Does Lahwi recognize the symbol carried by the lupines? (Maybe I should roll for some history type skill.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 26, 2018, 02:31:03 PM
Murdus

"Oh..." he says, and attempts to quickly lead his donkey (and Cart) towards the other group. He'll place his satchel on the cart and then shift to the far side of the donkey and cart to try and get as much cover as possible from  the on-rushing pack. After two rounds of travel he'll call out... "Join together...don't let yourself be flanked."

==================

He'll try a Fauna Lore to better identify the beasts... (I guess he can use the previous bonus for that ;). If they are "un-natural to the area, it wouldn't... but at least I'd know they wouldn't be normal to the area... just not know what they are.. ;) )  )
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 26, 2018, 03:36:22 PM
Yarlaganda

as he's turning his back to the strangers, he sees his fellows get excited about something to the east. He sees Murdus start to move his cart towards the road in a hurry.

Yarlaganda will wheel Gamesh back around towards the strangers and look east himself, to see what Murdus and the others are excited about.

(OOC: Can I assume that Yarla sees the dogs now too?)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 26, 2018, 11:31:26 PM
Murdus identifies the creatures as large (but not fantastically large) jackals (specifically canis aureus syriacus, if you’re googling).  These creatures are scavengers and opportunistic predators of the Mesopotamian wilds.  They will eat almost anything, but it is unusual for them to attack healthy creatures larger than they are. From your observation of them, however, you are certain the jackals mean business.  They are clearly following the trail of the injured men, and headed straight for you at a deliberate speed.

You also know that jackals are not normally blue.

Yarlaganda can’t precisely identify the animals.  He knows they’re canines, but the name of the species is beyond him.

OOC:  Also, you don’t gain any specific bonuses.  As mundane creatures, they don’t have any special weaknesses which you’d be able to exploit.  If you have RMFRP Creatures and Monsters, I’m using the entry on page 23 for Dogs, Large with some minor modifications.

— —

Lahwi can attempt Religion Lore to identify the symbol.

— —

Yarla sees the jackals now.  What’s the plan?  Face them here?  Make for the hills?  Do you suggest anything to the injured men, or let them make their own choices?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 26, 2018, 11:40:12 PM
Yarlaganda

races towards the strangers. He dismounts quickly and heads towards the man on the litter, drawing his sword.

"How important is he to you?" he shouts at bronze breastplate, indicating the man on the litter. "Your life or his?"

===

OOC Yarlaganda is going to try to buy the ambulatory folks some time with a... distraction.  ;evil)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 27, 2018, 01:50:09 AM
TO THE MAN ON THE LITTER: I do suggest you answer his question… for your sake.

I pull out the poisoned dagger and look at it admiringly.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 27, 2018, 03:19:55 AM
The man on the crutch is horrified.  "Barbarian!" he shouts, "He hasn't made it this far--" but he's cut off by the man in the bronze breastplate.

This man, obviously his superior, narrows his eyes at the Gutian.  Then he turns to his comrade on the crutch.  "Dagan-niri, you said it yourself.  He's at death's door.  Unless these fools be gods, better to put him out of his misery, if it means we make it to Babylon and see that his wife gets his pay."

There are tears in the leader's eyes as he turns to Yarlaganda.  "Do it.  But be merciful."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 27, 2018, 03:32:28 AM
Yarlaganda

does not break stride as the debate between the two is resolved. "Then run," he commands, when they've made their decision. "To those hills," he says, pointing to the hills north of the road. "The hills!" he roars back to his comrades, making sure they know where he plans to make his stand.

He does not wait to see if they obey. He stoops over to the man on the litter and slits his throat. May you reach the halls of your fathers, he silently prays.

Then he rips the dressing off the man's injured abdomen, and pulls out his entrails and scatters them on the road, making a bloody mess. If only a few of those beasts come here to feed, perhaps we'll have a chance... he thinks.

Stay close, he commands Gamesh. We must stick together for this.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 27, 2018, 05:22:32 AM
Round Two:  The characters notice the jackals and begin to move toward the new group.  Jackals 960 feet away.
Round Three:  The rest of the party arrives at Yarla’s position.  Yarla kills the man on the litter and spreads his entrails.

Positions at the start of Round Three:
(https://i.imgur.com/EWIRjFu.jpg)

I’ll say that the discussion took 20% of the round, leaving the newcomers 80% to flee.

The handsome young prisoner is the first to bolt.  The man in the bronze breastplate wraps an arm around Dagan-niri, and they begin to hobble after him.

The young man (“A”) moves for the hills.  He’s able to make a fast walk with a base movement rate of 50, and can move 75’ in a round.  With 80%, he’ll move 60’ (or 12 squares).  This will not require a movement roll.  Eight squares will put him at the hills, and he will have to make a climbing roll.  He has a +16 bonus in a Routine (+30) Climbing maneuver, and a -15 because of his exhaustion and the fact that he has limited use of his bound hands.  We’ll see how he does in the rolling thread!

The other two men (“B” and “E”) will move together, at a pace equivalent to a walk.  I won’t make them roll for this.  Their base movement rate is 40, so at 80% of the round they'll cover 6 squares.  Next round, we’ll see how they do with the hills.

At the end of this round, the jackals will be 720 feet away, and closing.  (And not on the map yet, which is only 250 feet across).  As yet, they haven't quickened their pace.

Yarla has taken his action for round three, but the rest of you still have 80%.

Edit:  Climbing is actually a 60% maneuver, but I'll keep pretty boy's rolls and move the completed action to next round.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 27, 2018, 06:17:47 AM
Murdus

He is shocked... but is understanding of the one-eyed rangers actions... his pace does not seem to immediately change, but seeing the plans to then flee to the hill, the old mans pace seems to increase as he urges the donkey to a fast walk.

-------------------------------------

OOC: His aim is to at least stay with the two walking men, at least till until he reaches the rough ground/hill that would slow his progress. (Possibly only one rounds movement). He'll then quickly shift the satchel on the donkey, unharness it from the cart and abandon the cart for the moment.

My intention with the Fauna Lore roll was to gain and advantage in positional defence... knowing that certain pack animals tend to surround or "run down and tire before attacking" or "just charge in" gives us a significant advantage. We can "second guess" what a "normal pack" of jackals would do/hunt and react accordingly.  As it is, these don't appear to be "normal" ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 27, 2018, 08:45:07 PM
Lahwi

will use his lore of relgion to try and assess what the symbol means. He'll be guessing whether these are summoned or undead beasts.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 28, 2018, 04:04:42 AM
Lahwi remembers that the symbol has some kind of religious significance (Partial Success).  It’s shaped like Ω, except upside down.  Perhaps if you spend some more time thinking about it, once you’re out of this combat situation?

— —

Murdus knows that the jackals are normally opportunistic scavengers, and that this behavior, chasing a group of men across the wilderness, is unusual.  But they’re doing it?  :lol:  Of course, jackals aren’t normally blue with religious symbols either.

— —

As far as tactical bonuses, Murdus may want to consult with Lahwi.  ;)  He does have +27 in Tactics.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 28, 2018, 09:32:53 AM
Yarlaganda

“Keep moving,” he says as his fellows reach him. “Stay together. Get to the hills. I’ll join you there.”

While he talks, he keeps at his butcher’s task. Having turned the litter into a proper abbatoir, he cuts off about 10-12 feet of intestine and then sheathes his sword. He’ll climb back onto Gamesh. He’ll then ride quickly to the northeast, holding the entrails in his free hand and ensuring they drag the ground.

===

OOC: After cutting off the parts, and mounting the camel, he’ll spend the balance of his turn heading northeast at a Run (2x). His path will basically parallel the hills; on our map, he’s heading geneally towards the word “Round.” When he gets there, this round or next, he’ll drop the entrails and hurry back to rejoin the group on the hill.

The overall idea here is to make a scent trail that will hopefully lead at least some of the jackals to feed at the litter, and maybe buy us some time to climb those hills and get some cover.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 28, 2018, 10:15:01 PM
Lahwi

waited for the Gutian to develop his plan; thinking about Tactics he looked about the overall terrain, the plain and hillls (roll a Tactics check).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 29, 2018, 03:29:41 AM
Round Four, gentlemen:

(https://i.imgur.com/3a20IwJ.jpg)

The injured men find that the hills have easy footholds and a gentle slope.  The three living members of this new group make it onto the higher ground during this round.

OOC:  Cruel GM confession:  I made the two men roll for Climbing, more for the fun of it if they screwed up than anything else.

— —

Lahwi spends the round making a tactical assessment.  (Absolute Success!). If you follow the paladin’s recommendations in combat, everyone gets a +30 OB bonus.

Yarla is on Gamesh, spreading the trail of entrails.

Murdus reached the hills with the soldiers at the end of the last round.  Based on his last declaration, he will spend 50% of this round unharnessing the cart.  He has 50% of the round left for further action.  Murdus's can direct the animal into the hills, should he desire to.

Kantron, what does the shifty Elamite do in round four?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 29, 2018, 05:45:29 AM
I go to attack after the men climbing the hills.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 29, 2018, 06:35:13 AM
Murdus

Leads the donkey into/up the hills. When he sees that the new groups survivors have separated from his own he'll stay with them until they reach a defensible position. At that point he'll stop, place the satchel on a high point and observe.

=====================================

OOC:  being next to useless in combat, he understands the value of avoiding it. If he can find somewhere to hide, he will, else he'll tie the donkey off (on a long leash, so that it can defend itself but not just run away.. ;) ) and then get ready to defend
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 29, 2018, 02:43:34 PM
Yarlaganda

will use the balance of his turn riding Gamesh northeast, paralleling the hills, dragging entrails along the ground. He’s trying to make a scent trail leading to the litter.

OOC Sorry, guess I got ahead a round on my last post. Yarla’s actions remain the same.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 29, 2018, 03:13:54 PM
OOC:  Wait a second Kantron, are you attacking the injured men?  I mean, you can do that, but they don’t appear much of a threat (or even hostile at this point), and you do have the jackals bearing down on you.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 30, 2018, 06:10:50 AM
Balance of Round Four:

Murdus follows the three men into the hills with his donkey.  Murdus isn’t injured, and the donkey is rather spry, so he doesn’t have any trouble.

Yarla spreads the entrails.  Gamesh has a base movement rate of 60, and at a run, he can move 120 feet in a round, and won’t have to make a maneuver check.  I’ve marked his path in red (with an X where he dropped the entrails).  Barrow, confirm that this path is acceptable?

Indattu runs across the plain (movement rate 148’) and has enough of his action left to successfully mount the hills before the end of the round.

The jackals are now 480 feet away.

Round Five:

(https://i.imgur.com/i44AEdt.jpg)

The handsome captive is going to plop down on one of the hills and watch Yarla and Gamesh spreading the entrails with amusement.  The man in the bronze breastplate is going to help the man with the crutch sit down.  When this is accomplished, he’ll go to stand with Murdus.

In round five, the jackals are going to increase their pace to a Sprint (360/round), which could put them as close as 120 feet from you at the end of the round.  This is an easy moving maneuver for them.

Indattu, Murdus, his donkey, and the three men are now on the hills.  Lahwi has finished his tactical assessment, and is free to take action.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on June 30, 2018, 10:28:01 AM
Quote
Barrow, confirm that this path is acceptable?

OOC: Yes, it’s perfect! Thanks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on June 30, 2018, 11:19:45 AM
I guess I got confused as to whom is where.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 30, 2018, 05:03:40 PM
I guess I got confused as to whom is where.
:wizi: No problem, I figured as much.  By having the jackals so far away (and me too lazy to do a larger map, or a map at a larger scale) I can see where it’d be confusing.  I also referred to the men as “soldiers” in one post, even though they haven’t told you that yet.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 30, 2018, 08:21:22 PM
Lahwi

rode his donkey into the hills, and drew his sword; he got ready to enter into combat.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 01, 2018, 12:43:41 AM
Yarlaganda

takes up a position on the hill as well, where he judges he can best slow the jackals’ advance. He’ll unsling his shield and get his spear ready to throw, and he’ll watch the jackals advance.

===

OOC: What sort of ‘formation’ are the jackals in? Are they in a random gaggle, or do they seem organized?

Also, he might like Gamesh to be more directly involved in this combat. Should I control Gamesh too, as part of Yarla’s turn (since they’re supposedly in sync), or would you prefer to NPC the camel?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 01, 2018, 04:13:48 AM
Go ahead and control Gamesh.  Right now, the jackals are in a loose formation of two rows, five in front and six in the second rank.  Based on his success at Tactics, Lahwi believes that the jackals will fan out a bit as they approach the hills.  They may also be distracted by the entrails.

When they reach the entrails, I'm going to roll a d100 for all of them.  Any that score above 50 won't be fooled.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 01, 2018, 04:36:39 AM
Round Six Declarations?  Last chance to get into position before the jackals are on top of you.

(https://i.imgur.com/gUzRkP9.jpg)

Remember, the squares are 5x5 feet.  Even the nearest jackal is barely out of spear throw range at the beginning this round -- but he'll be moving into it quickly.

Also, I'll need initiative.  Because there are so many of them, I'll roll for the jackals all at once.  They're going to spend their snap action phase (20%) sprinting toward you, which means several of them will fall into missile range before the deliberate action phase.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 01, 2018, 07:06:44 AM
Lahwi

took formation near the Gutian barbarian. "These are not normal jackals, I believe. I can't remember now but they carry a religious symbol on their bodies, and besides that they seem to have been dyed with those strange colours."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 01, 2018, 11:05:01 AM
Yarlaganda

nods at Lahwi’s insights.

 He quickly surveys their position and sees Murdus on the front line, in front of bronze breastplate. He calls at them to switch positions. “Get back, Wise One,” he shouts to Murdus  without his usual respectful tone. “That shiny armor doesn’t do any good in the rear,” he growls at bronze breastplate.

He turns back to the foe and readies his spear. He sees the unnatural intensity of the lead beast (#3) and knows instinctfully that jackal, at least, will not be distracted.

When Jackal 3 is about 15-20’ away, Yarlaganda will throw his spear (snap action).

Edit: I forgot to hold back any OB for defense when I rolled, so I changed this post to reflect that.  :lol:
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 02, 2018, 07:31:32 AM
Lahwi

shot an arrow at one of the jackals approaching and will then quickly unsheath his sword (rolls in the thread).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 02, 2018, 09:05:43 AM
Murdus

Looking at the approaching Jackals realises that his curiosity had got the better of him, shifts to be in the back lines and hopes there is enough natural cover to prevent them being easily over-run.

=============

Dedicating maximum OB to parry.. (but he does receive +10 OB from the bonus of the Spear for any attack in the deliberate phase)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 03, 2018, 04:38:40 AM
Round Six

Initiative Order
Indattu 26
Lahwi-Addu 25
Jackals 25
Yarlaganda 24
Bronze Breastplate Man 15

1. Snap Phase

The jackals advance.  Some advance more than others.  Jackals #s 1, 3, and 6 are all unfazed by the entrails.  Murdus changes places with the soldier in the bronze breastplate.  Yarlaganda throws his spear as a snap action.

1.1.0 Breakdown
1.1.1  Yarla’s Attack Roll on Jackal #3:
Roll 74 + 52 OB + 30 Tactics Bonus -20 Snap Action -40 DB = 96.
Result:  10 Hits + “A” Critical
Crit. Roll 31.
Result:  +2 Hits, must parry 1 Round, +10 bonus to action next round.

1.2.0. Narrative
1.2.1  As the jackals advance rapidly toward you, Yarlaganda snaps his spear at the closest one.  The spear scrapes the beast’s abdomen, and he must parry for one round.

Positions at the end of Snap Phase:

(https://i.imgur.com/tStsDjh.jpg)


2. Normal and Deliberate Phases
Indattu acts first in the Deliberate phase, and throws a dagger at Jackal #6.  Lahwi fires his bow at Jackal #3, and the rest of the creatures move in.  Yalraganda draws his sword.

2.1.0. Breakdown
2.1.1.  Indattu’s Dagger Throw at Jackal #6:
Roll 41 +53 OB +30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate = 134
Result:  11 Hits + “D” Critical.
Crit. Roll 81
Result:  +10 Hits, 3 Rounds Stun, 1 Round No Parry, -20 Action Penalty, 6 hits bleed per round.

2.1.2. Lahwi’s bow shot at jackal #3.
Roll 94 +73 OB +30 Tactics - 40 DB + 10 Deliberate + 15 Flank attack = 182
Result:  17 Hits, “E” Critical.
Cit Roll 15
Result, +3 Hits, jackal #3 must parry next round.

2.1.3. Jackal #1 covers the last 10 feet to Yarlaganda and attacks him with the remainder of his action.  He’s used 24% of his action so far (20% in Snap, 4% in Normal) and now attacks with the remainder.  He’ll suffer a -24 Penalty to his OB.
Roll 29 +45 OB -24 Round Penalty -30 DB = 20
Result:  Miss.

2.1.4. Jackal #2 spends a total of 64% of his round getting to the party.  He doesn’t have enough action to attack.

2.1.5. Jackal #3 is stunned, and in poor shape.

2.1.6. Jackal #4 covers another 65 feet to attack Lahwi.  He’s used 39% of his round to get this far, so he takes a -39 OB penalty.
Roll 54 + 45 OB -39 Penalty -32 = 28
Result:  Miss.

2.1.7. Jackal #5 spends 48% of his round getting to the hills.  No attack this round.

2.1.8.  Jackal #6 is stunned and must parry next round.

2.1.9. Jackal #7 gets distracted by the entrails, and advances no further.

2.1.10. Jackal #8 also gets distracted by the entrails, and advances no further.

2.1.11. Jackal #9, really, is there a point in all this running?  Oh look!  A tastes bit of intestine!  Slow poke jackal is distracted.

2.1.12. Jackal #10 makes it to the hills using a total of 36% of his round.  He’ll attack the man with the bronze breastplate (who is in full parry) at -36.
Roll 36 + 45 OB -36 Penalty -30 DB -75 Opponent’s OB after injury mod.
Result:  Miss.

2.1.13. Jackal #11, is distracted by the entrails, and advances no further.

2.2.0. Narrative

2.2.1. Indattu waits for the next jackal (#6) to get in range, and when the thief has the beast right where he wants it, he sends a dagger spinning towards it.  The blow to the jackal’s abdomen is audible, and he’s bleeding profusely.

2.2.2. Lahwi scores a solid shot on jackal #3, and the intrepid beast is staggered.

2.2.3. Jackal #1’s jaws close on empty air as he attempts to bite Yarlaganda.

2.2.6. Jackal #4 is winded by his sprint towards the hills, and misses Lahwi as well.

2.2.12 Jackal #10 is also tired, and cannot get past the soldier’s parry.

Positions at the end of Round Six:
(https://i.imgur.com/2ZbHrZ2.jpg)

So!  If you followed all of that, at the end of Round 6, Jackals 7, 8, 9, and 11 are distracted by the entrails.  Jackals 3 and 6 have taken damage, and both have suffered status effects that prevent them from attacking next round.

In round seven, the jackals who can attack will, while we see if their distracted friends decide that the players look more tasty than the dead man’s strewn remains.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 03, 2018, 08:36:03 AM
Lahwi-Addu

said to his companions that he was not thinking to become jackal's meal. With that in mind he unsheathed his sword and awaited the beasts' attack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 03, 2018, 12:08:32 PM
Yarlaganda

facing a wall of snarling blue jackals, Yarlaganda will attack the one that just snapped at him (Jackal #1)

Gamesh the camel will defend himself for now (fully parry).

OOC: Yarlaganda will attack 1, but hold back 30 OB for parry. He also has his shield... if I understand the book, that will add +20 to his parry?

Do we get any defensive bonus for position (higher ground)?

Edit: I had contradicting Jackal numbers down. It’s fixed, attacking #1.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 03, 2018, 01:31:44 PM
Murdus

Glancing around the armoured man, he tenses waiting for the opportunity to strike should the opportunity present itself..

=====================

Basically he'll allocate 50% OB to parry, however, if by the deliberate round he's not been personally attacked, he's take a sneaky stab with his spear in the deliberates... ;)





Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 04, 2018, 05:13:40 AM
Round Seven

Initiative Order
26 Lahwi-Addu
24 Indattu
19 Jackals
13 Yarlaganda
10 Murdus
9 Bronze Breastplate

Snap Phase
Jackals 7, 8, and 9 continue to be distracted by the entrails.  But Jackal 11 notices the commotion caused by the rest of the pack, and moves on to tastier prey.

Jackal 6 and Jackal 11 close in around the party using 15% of their action, but Jackal 6 remains stunned.

Yarlaganda ignores the stunned Jackal 3 for now, and turns his attention to Jackals 1 and 2, preventing them from gaining a flanking advantage.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1.  Lahwi attacks J#4.
Roll 50 + 60 OB + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate - 40 DB = 110.
Result 14 Hits + “B” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll 25
Result:  +2 Hits, must parry one round, -20 to maneuvers.

2.  Indattu attempts an Ambush against Jackal #11.
Roll 6 + 115 Skill Bonus = 121 Success, +26 to his attack.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll 15 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus -40 DB = 119
Result: 10 Hits, “B” Crit.
Crit. Roll 31 + 26 = 57
Result:  +3 Hits, 1 round stun, 1 round no parry, 2 hits bleed per round.

3.  Jackal #1 attacks Yarlaganda (Yarla is facing J1 & 2, no flank bonus)
Roll 53 + 45 OB -30 DB -30 Parry -20 Shield -10 High Ground = 8
Result: Miss!

4.  Jackal #2 attacks Yarlaganda
Roll 87 +45 OB -30 DB -20 Shield - 10 High Ground = 72
Result: 5 hits to Yarla.

5.  Jackal #3 must only parry this round.

6.  Jackal #4 must parry this round.

7.  Jackal #5 attacks Gamesh
Roll 67 + 45 OB -10 DB -40 Parry - 10 High Ground = 52
Result: Miss.

8.  Jackal #6 is stunned.

9.  Jackal #7 is busy with the entrails.

10.  Jackal #8 is busy with the entrails.

11.  Jackal #9 is busy with the entrails.

12.  Jackal #10 attacks Murdus’s donkey.
Roll 68 + 45 -40 DB -40 Parry -10 High Ground = 23
Result: Miss!

13.  Jackal #11 is stunned this round by Indattu.

14.  Yarlaganda’s attack on Jackal #1.
Roll 66 + 51 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactical - 40 DB = 132
Result:  18 Hits, “D” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll:  33
Result:  +3 Hits, stunned one round, no parry for one round.

15.  Murdus sneaks a spear strike on Jackal #10.
Roll 8 + 20 OB + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate -10 Distance -40 DB = 18
Result: Miss!

16. Bronze Breastplate will attack Jackal #6 with all of his OB.
Roll: 63 + 95 OB -20 Injury -40 = 98
Result:  11 Hits, “B” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll:  100 (!)
Result:  Disembowelment!  Insta-death for Jackal #6.  BB’s sword is stuck in the corpse for one round.  (And that’s why I love RM!)

Narrative
The party continues to benefit from following the paladin’s battle plan.  The jackals, for their part, are mad and ravening.  Foam froths that the edges of their jaws.

1.  Lahwi strikes Jackal #4 in its side, and the creature reels clumsily.
2.  Indattu bobs and weaves, and strikes Jackal #11 with deadly accuracy.  The beast is stunned this round.
3.  Jackal 1 attacks Yarla, but the Gutian parries it easily.
4.  Jackal 2 nips at Yarla’s shin.  Minor damage to the Gutian.
5-6. Jackals 3-4 are unable to attack this round.
7.  Jackal 5 attacks Gamesh, but the wily beast fends it off easily.
8.  Jackal 6 remains stunned, and alas, is not long for this world.
9-11.  Jackals 7-9 are still busy with the entrails.
12.  Jackal 10 attacks Murdus’s donkey.  The clever beast dodges the attack, and the jackal chews empty air.
13.  Jackal 11 has been stunned by Indattu.
14.  Yarlaganda slashes at Jackal 1 and scores a solid hit.  The animal is stunned through next round.
15.  Murdus, having not been attacked this round, ventures a strike at jackal 10.  The herbalist misses.
16.  The man in the bronze breastplate is in pitiful shape, but this day, he earns the War Goddess’s favor.  With a single, perfect sword slash, the injured man disembowels the creature.  Unfortunately, his sword becomes stuck in the carcass, and he’ll spend a round retrieving it.

(https://i.imgur.com/6JRME8x.jpg)

In Round 8, the jackals are going to continue their attack.  For everyone's benefit, I remind you of the parry rules.  Based on his earlier Fauna Lore check, and the behavior of these animals, Murdus does not believe that they will willing devote any of their OB to parrying.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 04, 2018, 06:48:38 AM
Lahwi-Addu

was encouraged by the pause due to stuns in the beasts' attack. He pressed on without a parry against the most immediate jackal standing by (J#4).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 04, 2018, 08:39:17 AM
Murdus

Feeling somewhat incensed, he uses the Donkey both a distraction and a motivation, he skirts the cart and tries to flank attack the Donkey's attacker.

----------
Attack in Deliberate J10.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 04, 2018, 11:31:30 AM
Yarlaganda

Gamesh will continue to fully parry this round.

Yarlaganda grunts at his wound, but will try to finish the stunned Jackal #1. He’ll reserve 50 OB for parry this time though.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 05, 2018, 02:19:16 AM
Kantron, I assume you’re probably going to try finishing off Jackal 11.  Are you going to save any of your OB for parrying?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 06, 2018, 05:10:01 AM
I go after Jackal 11 with total domination.  All into my OB.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 06, 2018, 02:03:08 PM
I go after Jackal 11 with total domination.  All into my OB.
;)  The dice are a fickle mistress, but my bets are with the thief on this one.

I’ll post the next round this evening.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 07, 2018, 03:55:14 AM
Round Eight

Initiative Order
22 Indattu
19 Lahwi-Addu
15 Yarlaganda
12 Murdus
12 Bronze Breastplate
11 Jackals

Snap Phase
Murdus moves into position beside Jackal 10.

Jackals 7, 8, and 9 continue to be distracted by the entails.  They’ve collectively caught the scent of the man on the litter, and head off at a walk towards the remains.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1.  The assassin attempts to dispatch Jackal 11.
Roll 67 + 115 Skill Bonus =  182 Absolute Success, +31 to his crit.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll 56 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus -40 DB = 160
Result: 13 Hits, “E” Crit.
Crit. Roll 45 + 31 = 76
Result:  You’ve broken the jackal’s leg!  +10 Hits + 3 rounds of Stun, 1 round No Parry.

2.  Lahwi-Addu goes all out on Jackal 4.
Roll 41 + 119 OB + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate - 40 DB  -25 Forced Parry (includes -20 penalty) = 135.
Result 20 Hits + “D” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll 6
Result +4 Hits.

3.  Yarlaganda against Jackal 1.
Roll 86 + 31 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactical - 40 DB = 132
Result:  18 Hits, “D” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll:  82
Result:  Major abdominal wound.  +10 Hits, 4 rounds Stun, 2 rounds No Parry, 8 hits Bleed/ round, -10 Penalty.

4.1  Murdus hold his action until after Jackal 10 attacks.

5.  The man in the bronze breastplate wrests his sword from the corpse of Jackal 6.

6.  Jackal 1 is stunned.

7.  Jackal 2 attacks Yarla.
Roll 8 +45 OB -30 DB -30 Parry -20 Shield - 10 High Ground = -37
Result:  Pathetic.  The jackal’s fellows are embarrassed for him.

8.  Jackal 3 attacks Yarla
Roll 33 +45 OB -30 DB -20 Shield - 10 High Ground + 15 Flanking = 33
Result:  Miss!

9.  Jackal 4 had to spend this round parrying.

10.  Jackal 5 attacks Gamesh
Roll 36 + 45 OB -10 DB -40 Parry - 10 High Ground = 21
Result:  Miss!

11.  Jackal 7 reaches the corpse on the litter (F on the map)

12.  Jackal 8 reaches the corpse on the litter (F on the map)

13.  Jackal 9 reaches the corpse on the litter (F on the map)

14.  Jackal 10 attacks Murdus’s donkey
Roll 64 + 45 -40 DB -40 Parry -10 High Ground = 19
Result:  Miss!

4.2. Murdus attacks Jackal 10.
Roll 32 + 29 OB + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactical +15 Flank +10 Spear -40 DB = 86
Result:  8 hits, no crit.

15.  Jackal 11 is stunned.

Narrative
Jackals 7, 8, and 9 remain distracted by the entails.

1.  The action begins with Indattu delivering a cruel hit to Jackal 11’s leg.  He’s injured, and it shows.

2.  Lahwi attacks Jackal 4, who was already on his heals from the Paladin’s momentum last turn.  Lahwi’s axe strikes the animal hard, but the injury is all concussion damage.

3.  With practiced adroitness, Yarlaganda flicks his blade at Jackal 1.  He deals a massive abdominal wound.  Blood gushes from the animal, and you suspect the massive blood-loss will finish him off with the next round.

4.1  The animist holds his action until Jackal 10 commits to his attack of the donkey.

5-15.  NPC actions.  The jackals who can attack this round all snap at their respective targets, but each misses in turn.

4.2.  Once Jackal 10 is involved with the donkey, Murdus scores a hit on the beast with his spear.

(https://i.imgur.com/KD0f3gR.jpg)

The Jackals have the following status effects for Round 9:
Jackal 1:  Too many to bother listing.  It won’t matter anyway.
Jackal 4:  -20 to actions.
Jackal 11:  3 Rounds stun, 1 round no parry, 2 hits Bleed / round.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 07, 2018, 04:25:59 AM
Yarlaganda

Gamesh will continue to try and keep Jackal 5 occupied (full parry again).

Yarlaganda turns to Jackal 3, and tries to finish what his spear started.

===

OOC: Attack J3, hold back 50 OB for parry again.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 07, 2018, 05:42:35 AM
OOC: Sorry... I forgot to include the "+10" for the Spear.. his spear is +10 NM..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 07, 2018, 06:37:58 AM
OOC: Sorry... I forgot to include the "+10" for the Spear.. his spear is +10 NM..
My fault as well!  That will hit.  I’ll go back and edit it in.

Edit: Fixed!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 07, 2018, 08:08:13 AM
Looking at the Jackal, I would assume that Jackal 11 is lying on its side or very limited in movement (broken leg).  I move around the jackal looking for a weak point. 

On my next attack for Jackal 11, a directed attack driving my blade through the jackal's chest.  This is a very calculated planned attack.  Again total domination, all to my OB.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 07, 2018, 08:51:33 AM
Murdus

Having rebuked the Jackal with the wrong end of the spear, he decides withdrawl behind the cart and going fully defensive is probably the wisest choice...

"Umm.. some help here please, if you've finished recovering your sword"... he quickly says to the Bronze armoured man...

-----------

 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 09, 2018, 12:12:36 AM
Lahwi-Addu

the paladin will use parry this round as J#4 will no longer be stunned. He eyed the other jackals apprehensively. "Let's hope we can finish these quickly so we can face the rest of the pack," he said.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 09, 2018, 04:26:12 AM
Round Nine

Initiative order
22 Lahwi-Addu
21 Yarlaganda
21 Bronze Breastplate
20 Indattu-Inšušinak
19 Jackals
13 Murdus

Snap Phase
Jackal 7 gets bored with the remains of the man on the litter, and decides to go help the rest of his pack.  He’ll move towards you in the normal phase.

Murdus withdraws behind the cart.

The man in the bronze breastplate responds to Murdus, “Aye, friend.  Malik-Dagan is my name.  If I don’t make it, tell my mother.  Kumar [District] — Babylon — near Enamtila [Ellil’s Temple].”

Normal Phase
Jackal 7 moves 40 feet toward the group.  20% of his activity was wasted in Snap, and this movement takes 17% of his activity.  He will attack Malik-Dagan (he of the bronze breastplate) in the deliberate phase, at a -37.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1.  Lahwi-Addu attacks Jackal 4.
Roll 74 + 60 OB + 15 Axe + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate - 40 DB = 149
Result 23 Hits + “E” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll 28
Result +3 Hits, 1 point bleed per round, -10 penalty.
Jackal 4 dies from hits.

2.  Yarlaganda attacks Jackal 3.
Roll 30 + 31 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics - 40 DB = 76
Result:  8 Hits.

3.  Bronze Breastplate attacks Jackal 7, saves 50 of his OB for parry.
Roll: 54 + 45 OB -20 Injury -40 DB + 30 Tactics = 69
Result:  Miss!

4.  Indattu makes a called attack on Jackal 11.
OOC:  My thoughts on directed attacks are this, combat is chaotic in Rolemaster, and with the Ambush skill, you’re already taking advantage of any openings and specifically and efficiently targeting the creature's vitals.  I don't think you can make it any more efficient (or deadly) than you already are.
Roll 75 + 115 Skill Bonus =  190 Absolute Success, +31 to his crit.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll 97 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus -40 DB = 201
Result: 13 Hits, “E” Crit.
Crit. Roll 13 + 31 = 44.
Result:  +3 hits, must parry next round.
Jackal 11 dies from hits.

5.  Jackal 1 drops dead as a result massive blood loss.

6.  Jackal 2 attacks Yarlaganda.
Roll 80 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -30 DB -20 Shield -10 High Ground = 75
Result: 7 Hits.

7.  Jackal 3 attacks Yarlaganda.
Roll 64 +45 OB -30 DB  -20 Shield -50 Parry -10 High Ground = -1
Result: Miss!

8.  Jackal 4 is dead.

9.  Jackal 5 attacks Gamesh.
Roll 86 + 45 OB + 10 Deliberate -10 DB -40 Parry - 10 High Ground = 81
Result:  7 Hits + "BT" Critical.
Crit. Roll:  50
Result:  +3 Hits.

10.  Jackal 7 attacks Malik-Dagan
Roll 35 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -30 DB - 50 Parry -10 High Ground -37 Activity Penalty = -37
Result:  Miss!

11.  Jackal 8 is still devouring the remains of the man on the litter.

12.  Jackal 9 is still devouring the remains of the man on the litter.

13.  Jackal 10 will attack the donkey.
Roll 62 + 45 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 DB -40 Parry -10 High Ground = 27
Result:  Miss.

14.  Jackal 11 is dead.

15.  Murdus is on defense this round.

Narrative
1.  The Paladin’s mighty axe announces the beginning of this round’s combat, and Jackal 4 collapses dead.

2.  Yarlaganda delivers another solid hit to Jackal 3, but the beast still stands.

3.  The man in the bronze breastplate, who has declared his name as “Malik-Dagan” is fighting more cautiously now that his opponent is fresh and not stunned.  He misses.

4.  Indattu carefully chooses his moment and strikes at Jackal 11.  Alas, all that skill seems wasted on the beast, who after another stab of the assassin’s blade, dies from shock and its accumulated injuries.

5.-14.  By the time they have an opportunity to attack, Jackals 1, 4, and 11 all lie dead.  Jackal 2 scores a minor hit on the Gutian, but Jackal 3 misses him.  Jackal 5 also scores a hit on Gamesh, and the camel belches out in furry.  Do something about these annoying beasts, why don’t you! Yarlaganda feels the animal say to him through their empathic rapport.

(https://i.imgur.com/h7JPewq.jpg)

Four jackals down, seven to go, gentlemen!  Jackal 3 and Jackal 10 are injured, and none of the jackals have status effects going into round 10.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 09, 2018, 08:42:50 AM
With the blood lust of victory coursing through my veins, I charge after Jackal 7.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 09, 2018, 11:46:24 PM
Yarlaganda

The Gutian grimaces twice, once as he's hit, and again, empathetically, as Gamesh is injured.


Quote
...the camel belches out in furry.  Do something about these annoying beasts, why don’t you!

Yarlaganda, equally frustrated, thinks back, I'm a little busy here. Why don't you kill that one yourself. When you're done dancing with him, that is... he adds.

Yarlaganda will stick to the same plan as last round. Gamesh, however, has had enough and will launch a full attack on his foe.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 10, 2018, 06:06:48 AM
Murdus

Hoping no-one saw him use the wrong end of the spear, he waits for an opening to rush in and attack...

=================

Full attack in Deliberate.. J10
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 10, 2018, 02:41:32 PM
Lahwi-Addu

scratched his beard and neck irritated by the sweat. "Hold on fellows, we'll get them!" With that said to his companions, he picked another jackal.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 11, 2018, 03:54:17 AM
Round Ten
Initiative Order
21 Lahwi-Addu
20 Indattu-Inšušinak
18 Yarlaganda
16 Gamesh (His Initiative Bonus is +0)
13 Jackals
12 Murdus
11 Malik-Dagan (Bronze Breastplate)

Snap Phase
Jackal 8 gets tired of the remains, and decides to see what all the commotion is.

Normal Phase
Jackal 8 moves 45 feet to take the place of deceased Jackal 11.  20% of his activity was wasted in Snap, and this movement takes 19% of his Normal Phase activity.  He will attack Indattu in the Deliberate Phase, but with a -39 penalty.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1.  Lahwi-Addu attacks Jackal 10.
Roll 177 + 60 OB + 15 Axe + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate - 40 DB = 252
Result 23 Hits + “E” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll: 93
Result:  +20 Hits, you sever the animal’s spine.  He’s gone to doggy heaven.

2.  Indattu attacks Jackal 7.
Roll 20 + 115 Skill Bonus =  135 Success, +26 to his crit.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll 69 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus -40 DB = 173
Result: 13 Hits, “E” Puncture Crit.
Crit. Roll 46 + 31 = 77.
Result:  +10 Hits, you break one of the animal’s forelegs.  He’s stunned for three rounds, and cannot parry next round.

3.  Yarlaganda attacks Jackal 3.
Roll 26 + 31 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics - 40 DB = 72
Result:  6 Hits.

4.  Gamesh aims his hooves at the onerous Jackal 5.
Roll 47 + 40 OB +10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics - 40 DB = 87
Result:  13 Hits, “AK” Critical.
Crit. Roll: 16
Result:  +2 Hits, the camel’s fury worries the Jackal.  He steps back 5 feet, and must parry for one round.

5.  Jackal 2 attacks Yarlaganda.
Roll 95 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -30 DB -20 Shield -10 High Ground -50 Parry = 40
Result:  Miss!

6.  Jackal 3 attacks Yarlaganda.
Roll -23 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -30 DB -20 Shield -10 High Ground -50 Parry = 28
Result:  Miss!

7.  Jackal 5 must parry this round.

8.  Jackal 7 is stunned.

9.  Jackal 8 attacks Indattu
Roll 5 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -19 DB -10 High Ground -39 Activity Penalty = -8
Result:  Miss!

10.  Jackal 9 is still occupied by the corpse on the litter.

11.  Jackal 10 is dead.

12.  Murdus had planned to attack Jackal 10, but Lahwi dispatched the animal before the animist could move.  Instead, he stabs out with his spear at the next closest Jackal, #7.
Roll 11 + 29 OB + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactical +10 Spear -40 DB = 50
Result:  Miss!

13.  Malik-Dagan attacks Jackal 7.
Roll 1!  I’m not wasting my time with the rest.
Result:  Fumble!
Fumble Roll:  52
Result:  He loses two rounds while he recovers.

Narrative
1.  Lahwi-Addu delivers a deep cut across Jackal 10’s back.  He severs the animal’s spine, and the creature collapses.

2.  Indattu leaps forward and stabs at Jackal 7.  He breaks one of the animal’s forelegs, and stuns the creature.

3.  Yarlaganda takes another swing at Jackal 3.  He hits the beast again.  It’s still standing, but it’s not looking very well-off.

4.  Wounded, Gamesh unleashes his fury against Jackal 5.  The trampled jackal is injured, and falls back for a round.

5-11.  Jackals 2 and 3 attack Yarlaganda, to no avail.  Jackal 8 attacks the Elamite, but its attack also misses.  The remaining jackals are either dead or otherwise unable to attack this round.

12.  Murdus leaps around the camel and uses the reach of his spear to stab at Jackal 7.  He misses , and moves back.

13.  Malik-Dagan also attempts to swing at Jackal 7, and learns just how fickle the War Goddess can be.  He spins around twice on the spot, and will loose two rounds recovering.

(https://i.imgur.com/teK6fie.jpg)

OOC:  You’re almost there, guys.  Only six jackals remain standing.  Jackal 3 is badly injured, and Jackal 7 is stunned next round with no opportunity to parry.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 11, 2018, 05:42:09 PM
Yarlaganda and Gamesh

Gamesh resists his instincts to pursue the injured jackal, and holds the line and the high ground. If the jackal comes at him again, he'll attack again if given the opportunity.

Yarlaganda takes another hack at Jackal 3.

====
OOC:
Yarlaganda attacks J3 the same as last round, keeping 50 for parry.

Gamesh holds his position. If J5 closes on him again, he'll do another all-out attack (if the rules allow that).

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 12, 2018, 05:29:51 AM
On my next round I make another focused attack on J7.  All to OB.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 12, 2018, 06:49:47 AM
Murdus

Seeing the armoured man perform a dance in combat after recovering his sword causes him to raise an eye-brow.

Sighing at his own ineptitude, he then tenses preparing to dispatch the jackal that's immobile and apparently confused... though secretly he hopes it will be dispatched before he has the chance to display his lack of skill with the pointy stick...

==================

Attack in deliberate... 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 12, 2018, 08:06:33 AM
Jahwi-addu

will continue to fight the jackals. He wonders for an instant if the beasts were after the soldiers or the group.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 13, 2018, 04:29:14 AM
Round Eleven
Initiative Order
27 Indattu-Inšušniak
133 Lahwi-Addu
20 Yarlaganda
18  Malik-Dagan
18 Jackals
15 Murdus
9 Gamesh

Snap Phase
Jackal 9 finally, finally decides to join the fray.
Jackal 5 moves back to challenge Gamesh.  -2 to his attack this round.

Normal Phase
Jackal 9 moves 50 feet towards the party at a Run. This takes 21% of his round, so with the 20% from Snap, he has spent more than 40% of his round already, and cannot attack this round.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1.  Indattu attacks Jackal 7.
Roll 53+ 115 Skill Bonus =  168 Absolute Success, +31 to his crit.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll 6 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus -40 DB = 110
Result: 9 Hits, “B” Puncture Crit.
Crit. Roll 2 + 31 = 33
Result:  +2 Hits, must parry two more rounds.

2.  Lahwi-Addu greets Jackal 9 with the business end of his axe blade.
Roll 9 + 60 OB + 15 Axe + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate - 40 DB = 84
Result: 7 Hits.

3.  Yarlaganda attacks Jackal 3.
Roll 69 + 31 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics - 40 DB = 115
Result:  15 Hits, “C” Critical.
Crit. Roll:  86
Result:  +9 Hits.  Broken bones in back, 4 rounds stun, 4 rounds no parry, -10 activity — all irrelevant.  Death by hits.

4.  Malik-Dagan is still spinning.

5.  Jackal 2 attacks Yarlaganda.
Roll 33 +45 OB +10 Deliberate -30 DB -20 Shield -10 High Ground -50 Parry = -22
Result:  Pathetic.  Miss!

6.  Jackal 3 is welcomed by his fellows into the Jackal underworld.

7.  Jackal 5 attacks Gamesh.
Roll 52 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -10 DB -10 High Ground - 2 Action Penalty = 85
Result:  9 Hits, “DT” Critical.
Crit. Roll:  50
Result:  +3 Hits, 1 hits bleed per round.  Punctured the camel’s side.

8.  Jackal 7 is still stunned.

9.  Jackal 8 attacks Indattu.
Roll 40 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -29 DB -10 High Ground = 56
Result:  So close, but a miss!

10.  Jackal 9 can’t attack this round.

11.  Murdus takes a stab at
Roll 78 + 20 OB + 30 Tactics +10 Deliberate +10 Spear -40 DB = 134
Result: 21 Hits, “D” Puncture Critical.
Crit. Roll:  69
Result:  +3 Hits, 2 rounds stun with no parry, -20 penalty to actions.  Blow to forelegs.

12.  Gamesh is out for blood.  Jackal 5’s blood specifically.
Roll 79 + 40 OB +10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics - 40 DB = 119
Result:  23 Hits, “CK” Critical.
Crit. Roll:  39
Result:  +9 Hits, 2 rounds of -25 penalty.

Narrative
1.  The shifty Elamite deals another puncture wound to jackal seven.  It’s injured enough it won’t be attacking for two additional rounds.

2.  Lahwi-Addu deals a glancing blow to Jackal 9.

3.  Yarlaganda slams his sword into Jackal 3’s back.  The Gutian has more than earned the satisfying crack he hears.  The beast has had enough.  He’s dead.

4.  Malik-Dagan is still woozy from last round’s pitiful failure.

5-10.  Jackal 3 is dead, and Jackals 7 and 9 can’t attack this round.  Jackal 2 misses his attack on Yarlaganda, and Jackal 8 comes very close to scoring a hit on the thief.  However, Gamesh is injured by Jackal 5, wounded in his side.  The furious camel cocks his head.  Payback is coming, in the next few moments.

11.  Murdus delivers a major injury to Jackal 9’s legs.  It’s stunned and can’t parry for two rounds, and will operate with a penalty.

12.  Gamesh repays Jackal 5 for his injuries, and the generous camel doesn’t forget the interest.  He tramples the beast’s foot, and it will take the jackal two rounds before he can attack without pain.  The poor creature looks like a strong breeze could finish him.

(https://i.imgur.com/jUP80bY.jpg)

Five animals left standing gentlemen.  Jackals 7 and 9 can’t attack next round.  Jackal 5 is almost down.  Jackals 2 and 8 are unwounded.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 13, 2018, 01:36:33 PM
Yarlaganda and Gamesh

Yarlaganda

winces as he feels his camel’s wound. He roars in fury and turns his full attention to Jackal 2.

Gamesh

snorts and spits in Jackal 5’s face. He’ll quickly attack his injured foe again.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 13, 2018, 02:31:41 PM
Murdus

Almost dropping his spear in shock, he quickly gains his composure, takes a breath and then stabs at the stunned beast again....

---------------

Same target deliberate, full attack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 13, 2018, 09:56:50 PM
Lahwi-Addu

said to his companions, "These stubborn beasts don't leaves in peace!" And with that he picked another jackal.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 14, 2018, 05:49:53 AM
Kantron, pick your target for next round and I'll do the next set of combat rolls.  Jackal 7 can't attack this round, but Jackal 8 is fresh and ready to attack. ;)  Your choice.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 14, 2018, 06:00:18 AM
I'll go after J8.  Full OB.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 14, 2018, 07:08:07 AM
Round Twelve
Initiative Order
23 Lahwi-Addu
21 Jackals
17 Indattu-Inšušinak
16 Yarlaganda
12 Malik-Dagan
10 Murdus

Snap Phase
Gamesh attacks Jackal 5 as a Snap Action
Roll 80 + 40 OB + 30 Tactics -20 Snap Action - 40 DB = 90
Result:  14 Hits, “BK” Critical.
Crit. Roll:  51
Result:  +6 Hits, 2 rounds must parry.
Jackal 5 is dead from hits.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1. Lahwi-Adad attacks Jackal 9.
Roll 106 + 60 OB + 15 Axe + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate - 40 DB = 181
Result: 23 Hits + “E” Critical.
Crit. Roll: 22
Result:  +3 Hits, 1 bleed per round, -10 Activity.  Side wound.
Jackal 9 is dead from hits.

2. Jackal 2 attacks Yarlaganda.
Roll 43 +45 OB +10 Deliberate -30 DB -20 Shield -10 High Ground -30 Parry = 8
Result:  Miss!

3. Jackal 7 is stunned.

4. Jackal 8 attacks Indattu.
Roll 15 +45 OB + 10 Deliberate -29 DB -10 High Ground = 31
Result: Miss!

5. Indattu attacks Jackal 8.
Roll 93 + 115 Skill Bonus =  118
Result:  Success, +26 to his crit.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll -4 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus -40 DB = 100
Result: 8 Hits, “A” Puncture Crit.
Crit. Roll 57 + 26 = 83
Result:  6 rounds stun, 5 bleed per round.  +20 attack next round.  Deep side wound.

6. Yarlaganda attacks Jackal 2.
Roll 37 + 51 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics - 40 DB = 103
Result:  13 Hits, “B” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll:  67
Result:  +7 Hits, 2 round stun, 3 bleed per round, -5 penalty to actions.  Neck wound.

7. Malik-Dagan is still recovering from his fumble.

8.  Murdus attacks Jackal 7.
Roll 30 + 20 OB + 30 Tactics +10 Deliberate +10 Spear -40 DB - 45 Parry = 15
Result: Miss!

Narrative
Before any of the humans can act, Gamesh furiously presses his advantage, and stomps the life out of Jackal 5.

1.  Lahwi-Addu finishes off Jackal 9 with a wound to its side.

2-4.  Jackal 2 attacks the Gutian and misses, likewise Jackal 8’s attack on the Elamite.  Jackal 7 is stunned and must parry this round.

5.  Indattu leaps forward.  Though his attack appears weak at first, he still manages to score a deep wound on Jackal 8.  The creature suffers a major injury.

6.  Yarlaganda’s sword deals a cruel gash to Jackal 2’s neck.  He’ll be on defense also next round.

7.  Malik-Dagan is finally getting his bearings, but he’s still out of the fight until next round.

8.  Murdus takes another stab at Jackal 7, but misses.

(https://i.imgur.com/0TcOD87.jpg)

All the remaining Jackals are injured, and none of them can attack next round.  So much animal cruelty.  You’re almost there guys.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 14, 2018, 01:02:56 PM
Yarlaganda and Gamesh

Finally with a little room to breathe, Yarlaganda quickly looks back over their line to see how the others are faring. “Go help Murdus,” he suggests to Lahwi, indicating Jackal 7. “Gamesh and I can finish this one.”

Gamesh bleats in agreement and moves in to stomp another jackal.

===
 Yarlaganda will take the opportunity to do an Awareness maneuver, and see if anything unexpected is going on. In particular, he’s curious about the prisoner, whether he’s made a break for it, or if he seems to be “rooting” for the jackals.

Regardless of what he sees, after his look-around Yarl will attack J2 with no parry.
Gamesh will move 5’ southeast and also attack J2 with no parry.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 14, 2018, 04:01:28 PM
Lahwi-Addu

went to lend a hand to Murdus. He attacked Jackal #7.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 14, 2018, 07:25:35 PM
Murdus

In the confusion of battle... Murdus appears just as confused as ever. The brave jackal's efforts to save his stricken friend were obviously in vain as the badly injured Jackal lies slain nearby. Shaking his head, he sees his ally move to strike the replacement foe. Smiles with some relief... before backing off, taunting the beast by waving his spear ineffectually at it.

=======================

Full parry... with any pointless opportunistic (+0 attack..) stabbing happening in the deliberate phase :).

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 15, 2018, 01:10:39 AM
Another attack (when possible).  Full force (OB).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 15, 2018, 06:17:57 AM
Round Thirteen
Initiative Order
25.  Lahwi-Addu
24.  Yarlaganda
20.  Indattu-Inšušinak
15.  Malik-Dagan
13.  Jackals
12.  Murdus
4.  Gamesh

Snap Phase
Lahwi-Addu moves 5 feet to flank Jackal 7.
Gamesh moves 5 feet to attack Jackal 2.

Yarlaganda makes an Alertness Roll:
Roll 7 + 38 Skill + 30 Routine + 75.
Result: Failure.
You notice notice nothing out of the ordinary about the prisoner.  He is standing, with his hands tied in front of him, watching the end of combat.

Deliberate Phase
Breakdown
1.  Lahwi-Adad attacks Jackal 7.
Roll 89 + 60 OB + 15 Axe + 30 Tactics + 10 Deliberate +15 Flanking - 40 DB -45 Parry = 134
Result: 20 Hits + “D” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll: 91
Result:  +15 Hits, 9 rounds stun, no parry.  You lop off one of the creature’s forelegs.  It dies, and doesn’t waste any time doing it.

2.  Yarlaganda attacks Jackal 2.
Roll 65 + 81 OB + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate + 30 Tactics +20 Stun -10 Alertness Maneuver - 40 DB -40 Parry = 131
Result:  18 Hits, “D” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll:  10
Result: +4 Hits.

3.  Indattu attacks Jackal 8.
Roll 30 + 115 Skill Bonus =  145
Result:  Success, +26 to his crit.
Indattu’s attack.
Roll 32 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate +30 Tactics + 15 Weapon Bonus +20 Previous Round Crit. +20 Stun -40 DB -45 Parry = 131
Result: 12 Hits, “D” Puncture Crit.
Crit. Roll 61 + 26 = 87
Result:  +9 Hits.  Strike through kidneys, foe is down and isn’t getting back up.  It’ll bleed out in 3 rounds.

4.  Malik-Dagan sees that the player characters have the combat in hand, and lowers his sword.  He seems happy, but very tired.

5.  Jackal 2 is the only one left standing, and he’s stunned.

6.  Murdus isn’t left with any enemies near him.

7.  Gamesh moves to trample Jackal 2.
Roll 96 + 40 OB + 30 Tactics +20 Stunned - 40 DB = 146
Result:  32 Hits, “EK” Critical.
Crit. Roll:  30
Result:  +6 Hits, -10 Penalty.  Hooves crush ribs.
Jackal 2 is dead from concussion hits.

Narrative
With the remaining jackals all injured and unable to attack this round, the party makes short work of them.

When combat is over, the party is standing atop the little foothills, surrounded by the bloody carcasses of the jackals.  Lahwi confirms his previous suspicion — these seem to be normal jackals, but they’re covered in a dark blue powder.  Perhaps, up close, he might have a better understanding of that symbol?

Malik-Dagan throws down his sword, and takes a seat beside the man with the injured leg.  He looks up at Murdus.  “To whom do we owe our lives?” he asks.  “Let me know, so that I may praise your gods on your behalf.  It was fortunate that we encountered you when he did, although I am sorry that you had a share in our misfortunes.”

The captive man had watched the battle intensely, but no that it has ended, he seems to have lost interest.  He takes a seat and puts his back against a part of the hill, and closes his eyes as if to sleep.

Gentlemen, what do you do next?  It’s a little after noon.  Yarlaganda has suffered nothing so serious as 12 concussion hits, and his mighty humped companion has suffered 24, and is bleeding 1 hit per round.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 15, 2018, 07:24:49 AM
Murdus

"Hmmm..." he says distractedly in reply, instead immediately moving first to stop the camels bleeding wound...

After having done this he returns.... "I'm Murdus... thanks for distracting them.. though I'm sure you could have done better.." he says looking at the spear and then back at Malik-Dagan.

---------------------------

Uses the Daily item to do so "Flowstop V"...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 15, 2018, 11:28:16 AM
I attempt to bind the bleeding wound.  Believing others are staring at me.  An assassin binding someone's wounds?  I say "He might be useful."  I then look back at him and say "however, don't make me regret this. Trust me, you don't want that."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 15, 2018, 01:51:18 PM
Lahwi-Addu

took a step closer to the jackals and inspected their symbol. "How strange that they're covered in dark blue powder," he said to the rest of the party.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 15, 2018, 03:25:28 PM
Yarlaganda

Once the fight is over, Gamesh suddenly realizes he has a minor injury. I'm dying! he reports to Yarlaganda. This is all your fault! I'm too young too...

Be still! Yarlaganda chastises, even as he rubs his camel's nose. You are fine. It's just a scratch. It is probably not even your blood. At any rate, the Wise One is tending too it, see?

When Gamesh is calmed, Yarlaganda looks to the rest of his party. Seeing that none of them are injured, he retrieves his spear and looks at the sun... still plenty of daylight left.

He sees the man on the crutch looking at him. "What was his name?" Yarlaganda asks, sadly. "Your comrade on the litter?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 15, 2018, 10:37:20 PM
While Indattu-Inšušinak binds the camel’s wound, Murdus stops Gamesh’s bleeding with his item.

In answer to Yarlaganda’s question, the man on the crutches replies, “Lu-sagga.  He was the son of a baker in Kullab [a neighborhood in the city of Babylon].  His wife and three children live there now.”

— —

Up close, Lahwi-Addu recognizes that the symbol is in fact religious in nature, and relates to one of the underworld deities [Eriškigal, Erra, Nergal, etc.] — he just can’t quite remember which one [Near Success].

— —

The two remaining men introduce themselves.  The man on the crutch is Dagan-niri, a bērum (OB. veteran foot-solider) in the Babylonian army.  The man with the breastplate is Malik-Dagan, who is a wakil ušurtum (OB.  “sergeant”).  Poor Lu-sagga was also a bērum.

Dagan-niri’s injuries seem uncomfortable, and he remains quiet.  Thus, Malik-Dagan speaks to you:  “Our gods are good to us, for we have come out of a great misfortune.  Two days ago our division was ambushed by a force of Ešnunnan troops.  I do not know their number, but we were 500.  They gave us no time to properly set up to face them, and came at us much like these dogs.”  He kicks the nearest jackal corpse for emphasis.

“Strange, terrible things happened then.  The sky darkened as if a great storm was come, and the enemy troops carried with them some kind of dark vapor, that swirled about them and half-obscured the battlefield.  When they neared our men, we realized that many of them did not carry weapons, and their armor, if they wore it, was often carelessly, or half-thrown on.  They attacked our men like wild animals; if they had no weapons, they used their teeth and fingernails."

“The strangest thing was our own men immediately began to suffer the same affliction.  Some even threw down their weapons, or attacked one of their own fellows if they were closer than an enemy.  It was like a vision from a cruel and violent god.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 15, 2018, 10:56:08 PM
Yarlaganda

nods at the man on the crutch. “Lu-sagga. I shall pray for him.”

The Gutian listens to Malik-Dagan’s story intently, not sure if he believes it all, but he does not interrupt. When the story is complete, he points to the prisoner. “And, who is this one?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 15, 2018, 11:44:26 PM
“That’s a good question,” Malik-Dagan says, casting his gaze at the young man.  The prisoner responds with a mocking sneer.

“He calls himself Nūr-ilī,” the sergeant continues, “but I don’t trust that, nor anything from him.  We mean to ransom him.  Clearly he’s not some rural farmhand — and I suspect he’s something much worse, or perhaps better, for us.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 15, 2018, 11:53:41 PM
Yarlaganda

looks at the smug prisoner for a moment, then kicks one of the jackals. “Why were these beasts after you? Do you suppose they were trying to... rescue him?” he asks Malik.

When he says it out loud, it sounds ridiculous. Jackals on a resucie mission? But the blue powder, the symbols, the way they ignored the entrails, and came on in spite of the odds they faced... maybe some sorcery was at work.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 17, 2018, 12:20:27 AM
Lahwi-Addu,

turned to the Gutian and the Elamite. "What about interrogating the prisoner the hard way?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 17, 2018, 12:34:54 AM
Dagan­-niri, who has been looking at the prisoner, speaks up now.  “Tell them about the flowers.”

The prisoner continues to rest.  He gives no indication that he is paying attention to the conversation.

Malik­-Dagan nods toward the prisoner again.  “In a way, he saved our lives.  Even if he’s worth nothing, those of us that remained decided to spare his life on that account.  My decurion captured him while out on patrol.  We were bringing him back to our camp when the Ešnunnans attacked.  He doesn’t say much, but when the sky grew dark, he insisted that we chew these.”  The sergeant pulls from a small pouch on his belt three sprigs of nēhtum.

“I can only guess that this herb is the reason the frenzy didn’t seize us as well.  By the time we fought our way to freedom, my ten were down to four, plus myself.  On the first night, a demon attacked us as we slept.  It slew my nephew, Haliya, injured Lu­-sagga, and broke Dagan-­niri’s leg.  Somehow, we managed to drive it off.”

“At sunrise, another of my company, Hammi­-zaku, deserted us.  He is not of Babylon, but one of the gayyū (OB. sub­clans) of the Yaminā [a large tribe of pastoral Amorites] — maybe the Yahrurû?  Rather than make for Babylon, he chose to strike north for his people.”

The sergeant begins to loosen the straps that secure his breastplate.   “I do not know if this Nūr-­ilī knows anything about the jackals, but this is the first we’ve seen of them,” he says.  Malik­-Dagan seems at ease with all of you for a moment, but then he stops.  He looks around at the four members of the group with narrowed eyes, “Why are you out here?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 17, 2018, 12:56:48 AM
Yarlaganda

Nūr-ilī. Nūr-ilī. Why does that sound familiar? Yarlaganda wornders, the wheels in his head turning slowly.

He’s a young fellow, with a noble sort of look... he remembers the little man in Babylon saying. And he has an excellent voice.

He ignores Dagan-niri’s questions. “He saves your life, and still you hold him prisoner?” He walks over to Nūr-ilī and cuts his bonds. “You are free to go.”

If I’m right, this man is our contact. If I’m wrong... well, how hard can it be to kill a naked man?

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 17, 2018, 02:44:13 AM
The prisoner opens one eye and looks down at his cut bonds.  Then he opens the other eye and smiles.  “Thank you,” he says.  He stretches in dramatic, exaggerated fashion, then brings his arms up and puts his hands behind his head.  He closes his eyes again.

The two remaining soldiers exchange glances.  After a moment, Malik-Dagan sighs, “Free him if you want.  You’ve split your blood for us, so I won’t challenge you.  Not that we could do much anyway.”

Dagan-niri pats the ground to get the Gutian’s attention.  “Don’t trust him,” he whispers to Yarlaganda.  “He’s a spy, or a fool.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 17, 2018, 03:17:10 AM
Yarlaganda

shrugs at the warning. He looks at the sky. “We should not linger here for long,” he says to the grouo. “These dead beasts will draw attention.”

He turns to Malik-Dagan and says, “If you like, I will help you build a cairn for your dead man. For Lu-Sagga. It’s the least I can do, after what I did to his corpse. But then we must be on our way. Will you continue to Babylon?”

Regardless of the soldier’s answers, Yarlaganda will find an opportunity to speak to Murdus and Lahwi; he’ll discretely tell them, “I think this prisoner might be the man we’re looking for. The man who we give the tablets to.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 17, 2018, 06:22:42 AM
Murdus

After he finishes tending to the camel, Murdus then calms his donkey.... all the time mindful of the actions of his comrades. He looks up when the herb is mentioned..

Pauses, as if to say something, but then shakes his head. When the prisoner is released he does react.. the whispered comments from Yarlaganda cause him to furrow his brows. He heads over to the ex-prisoner and offers a hand in greeting.

"Well, friend, from where do you hail?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 17, 2018, 02:10:12 PM
Malik-Dagan nods at Yarlaganda's offer.  "Yes, I will help you."  Between the two of you, you should be able to take care of what's left of the remains rather quickly.

"I should get Dagan-niri back to Babylon as soon as I can," the sergeant says.  "We need to report the loss of my division, and I think he's in a lot of pain.  If we leave now, we might make it to one of the villages by nightfall."

——

When Murdus stands over the former prisoner, he opens his eyes again.  "Ah!  A sun-shade, how considerate."  He doesn’t rise to take your hand, but after a moment, his expression changes.  "I'm from a little village near the Tigris," he says, sitting up.  "If you're going that way, I'm sure I could make it worth your while."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 17, 2018, 02:56:15 PM
OOC: Are we?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 17, 2018, 06:35:13 PM
"I should get Dagan-niri back to Babylon as soon as I can," the sergeant says.  "We need to report the loss of my division, and I think he's in a lot of pain.  If we leave now, we might make it to one of the villages by nightfall."

Yarlaganda

nods. He tells Malik-Dagan what he knows of the road back to Babylon, and of the villages he passed along the way. He asks about the road ahead, where the soldiers came from.

As they talk, he’ll take a look at Dagan-niri’s injuries, and see if he can do anything for the man.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 17, 2018, 06:39:09 PM
Lahwi-Addu

heard Yarlaganda and said, "I think this is just the case of two similar names. I think we should proceed to the location that we were given and then look for the person with the name that the Babylonian gave us."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 17, 2018, 06:47:34 PM
OOC: Are we?
You’re headed to Birsum, a village near the Tigris.  So you’re going in that direction.  Now as to whether that’s the same village that this fellow wants to go...:rolleyes:

— —

Barrow: The best you could do for the man with first aid is to improve his splint.  You confirm this from your analysis, and decide that there is little you can do to allieviate his pain.  It will take some kind of magic, or many days rest, to heal the bone.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 17, 2018, 06:49:53 PM
Yarlaganda

does what he can to improve the man’s splint.

He considers that Lahwi might be right about the prisoner’s identity, but he doesn’t have any ideas on how to tell. He sees Murdus talking to the man, and he’s confident his companions will sort the matter out.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 17, 2018, 09:51:21 PM
Murdus

"We were, in fact, heading towards the Tigris... My name is Murdus. I'm an architect and herbalist.. my companions are rather efficient warriors, myself a humble trader of sorts... I prefer to talk rather than fight... perhaps tend to plants.. or tinker. Yourself?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 17, 2018, 10:12:16 PM
For the first time, the handsome young man seems interested in conversation.  "Plants?  That's interesting."  He hops to his feet, and brushes the dirt from his legs.  "I've never really paid attention to them. Always looking up!  I'm a star-watcher myself."  He pauses for a moment, and blushes as he says, "At night, the heavens speak to those who understand their language."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 18, 2018, 09:58:25 AM
Quote
He pauses for a moment, and blushes as he says, "At night, the heavens speak to those who understand their language."
…and what are the stars telling you?  In recent times, what have they said about things to come?  Speak plainly.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 18, 2018, 10:25:20 AM
Murdus

"Please excuse my friends enthusiasm... but, of late I too have seen ill-omens in the night sky.. and the weather during the day.. is, let us say... unseasonal.. I'm sure it's something that concerns us all... Please. Share what you have managed to divine.. perhaps between us we can make some sense of all this..."

and he stops to indicate the bodies of dead, blue, jackals...  "Recent uncommon unpleasantness...." he says softly, but also regretfully.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 18, 2018, 01:08:55 PM
Dagan-niri has been listening to your conversation.  He snorts and says, "He's possessed -- not right!"

The young man ignores him.  He responds to Indattu, "If the stars wanted everyone to know their secrets, then they'd speak so that everyone could hear.  It's not..." he thinks for a moment, then continues, "It's like translating from a language that you only half understand, and the speaker often speaks of irrelevant or distant things, so context isn't helpful.  The concerns of heaven aren't always the concerns of those who dwell below."

To Murdus he says, "Yes, the weather.  It obscured my sight, and circumstances --" here he nods his head to indicate Dagan-niri, "-- did not allow me to attempt it again when the skies cleared.  I am sure that more episodes like the battle are imminent, though.”

Yarlaganda and Malik-Dagan take care of the dead man's paltry remains shortly and return to the party.

"We should be moving on," the sergeant says, as he bends down and helps Dagan-niri to his feet.

As they pass close to Murdus, the crippled man grabs Murdus's wrist and tells him, "Be wary of him," clearly referring to the handsome astrologer.

Both soldiers wish the party well, and Malik-Dagan vows to make sacrifices to his gods on your behalf.

----

Is there anything else you want to say to them?  Anything you want to do before you move on?  Otherwise, Just X and Quixotic's characters will be encountering you next.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 18, 2018, 02:10:46 PM
Yarlaganda

when they finish the Cairn of Lu-Sagga, Yarlaganda hands Malik-Dagan four silver pieces. “For his wife and children,” he says solemnly. “Know that I killed him without malice.”

He wishes the soldiers well on their journey, then mounts his camel and prepares to continue when the party is ready.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 18, 2018, 05:54:27 PM
Lahwi-Addu

also went and fetched his monkey. He was suspicious of the young man, but for now he waited trusting the wisdom of Murdus.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 18, 2018, 08:07:53 PM
Murdus

Simply smiles as the wounded man grabs his wrist... and gives him a brief nod. 

Turning to the rest, he looks to the sky again... "Yes, we should be on our way..." he says, reclaiming the satchel from the cart and swinging its strap over one shoulder before grasping the Donkeys reins and leading it back to the cart.

He then turns to the young astrologer...

"We will be departing soon... and you may accompany us.. for the meantime. I'm afraid I'm a little hard of hearing... I did not hear you give your name.. I like to know people names I tend to think that evokes trust... and those that travel together need to trust in each other.. do they not?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 19, 2018, 03:24:39 AM
Malik-Dagan takes the silver from Yarlaganda.  “After everything,” he says, “we are truly blessed.  Inquire after me in Kullab District if you’re ever in Babylon and in need of help.  I swear upon the names of Šamaš and Ayya, you noble gentlemen have earned my respect and affection.”

— —

To Murdus, the astrologer says, “I am called Nūr-ilī, old man, and I am from a small village called Bisrum.  These men fell upon me there.”

— —

You part ways with the soldiers.  Dagan-niri seems to be moving faster and with greater ease now — likely thanks to Yarlaganda’s adjustments to his splint.  As Murdus, Lahwi-Addu, Yarlaganda, and Indattu-Inšušinak head further east, they see no more signs of jackals, or anyone else for that matter.

In the evening, before the sun touches the horizon, you come in sight of another track or path which intersects yours from north.  You sight two men on the track, and it seems you will meet each other at the crossroads.

— —

Klumenos and Qīšti-Marduk set out from Ešnunna two days ago heading south.  That evening, (the 3rd day of the Babylonian month Ayyarum, or April 18th, 1767 BCE) they witnessed a massive storm on the southern horizon.  Since that event, they have encountered only one man on this road, which seems unusual.

The man, disheveled and bloody, was dressed in a leather cuirass and carried an axe caked with what appeared to be blood.  He refused any help and only asked for tidings of Yaminā tribesmen.  He gave his name as Hammi­-zaku, and muttered a warning about demons in the wilderness.

— —

OOC:  I’ll let Just X and Quixotic introduce their characters.  Sorry it took so long guys.

I also suspect you might want to use some of your skills.  Nur-ili, in case you’re wondering, won’t be much help during the day, or in combat.  He does have a +57 in Weather Watching.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 19, 2018, 07:58:03 AM
Yarlaganda

points out a promising location for a campsite, not far off the road by the crossroads. "Let's make camp there," he suggests to his companions.

Then he'll ride towards the two strangers, spear across his lap; visible, but not threatening. He'll stop about 50' away from them and hold up a hand in greeting.

"Peace," he says to them. "Any news of the road?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 19, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
Klumenos


The man leading the donkey, wearing leather armor, raises his free hand and calls out, “Hail, fellow travelers!”  As they approach closer, it can be seen that the donkey bears a spear a shield and several packs.  It is also obvious that the man is not from Mesopotamia.  He continues, “The road is almost deserted.  I suspect that it has to do with the storm two nights ago.  Since then we have encountered only one other traveler, a soldier by the looks of him, who was worse for wear and rambled about demons.  Whether or not demons prowl the area, there is safety in numbers, would you camp with us this eve?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 19, 2018, 03:45:48 PM
(http://mpfilmcraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/achilles6.jpg)


This is generally what the foreigner (Klumenos)  looks like.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 19, 2018, 04:23:42 PM
Yarlaganda

chuckles. “We’ve heard some of the same tidings, friend. Yes, you are welcome to share our fire, I think. I am Yarlaganda, and this, this churlsome beast,” here he gives Gamesh an affectionate pat, “this is Gamesh.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 19, 2018, 08:04:06 PM
Murdus

He smiles immediately upon seeing the donkey. He trusts people with donkeys.. apparently they can be trusted. Not like Camels. In his experience, it's best not to trust them.

Although Gamesh seems pleasant enough... for a camel.

When he gets close enough to speak... "Hail then friend, please join us... indeed there is danger abroad, and I suspect some safety in numbers... I am Murdus.  We travel to... umm, um, ah yes..  Birsum.. escorting this young fellow to his village and then to.. umm, somewhere else along the Tigris... it'll come to me in a minute.. perhaps if I spend a few moments in reflection I'll recall where exactly....."

With this he becomes distracted by the area where they are camping, wanders off and starts talking to the plants asking if they know.

==================

OOC: He'll forage for food, herbs...and random stuff.  ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 19, 2018, 08:10:19 PM
Klumesco
“I am Klumesco Envoy of the Palace of Knonssos, in a far distant land within the great see to the west.  This is my donkey, she is a beast and has no name, and this is Qīšti-Marduk, my traveling companion.”  He looks expectantly to the man by his side.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 20, 2018, 07:08:28 AM
To Klumesco: I speak better with daggers than words.  Yet, you are welcome around our campfire.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 20, 2018, 09:51:16 PM
Yarlaganda

will see about starting a fire and setting up his tent. He'll take a look at the weather out of habit, even though he's learned Murdus can read the skies better than he.

Between the attack today,  the rumors of 'demons' in the wilderness, and the stranger joining their camp, Yarlaganda decides to try to summon a guardian beast, in the old ways of his tribe. He makes a small circle out of rocks and places some dried meat from his rations in the middle. He says the old words and finishes by throwing a handful of sand into the air.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 20, 2018, 10:41:59 PM
Lahwi-Addu

welcomed the Minoan to their company, "Well met, Klumesco!"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 21, 2018, 05:17:32 AM
Yarlaganda’s Activities

Survival
Roll 42 + 60 Skill = 102
Result = Near Success.

You have no trouble setting up camp, but you fail to find any water on this arid steppe.  Based on some of the vegetation though, are clear signs that water must be present in this environment.  You can try again in one hour with a +20.

Weather Watching
Roll 51 + 51 Skill + 10 Light Difficulty = 112
Result = Success!

The sky is clear and cloudless to the horizon.  It’s roughly 32°C (89.6°F) when you make your check, and based on your knowledge of life in the Mesopotamian wilderness, you believe it will get no cooler than 16°C (60.8°F).  You might want a blanket to sleep comfortably, but you certainly won’t freeze without one.

You also suspect that tomorrow will bring more of the same.  There is virtually no wind tonight.  Everything is normal.

Summon Guardian
Roll 27 + 25 Skill = 52
Result = Near Success, you cast normally.

As the Gutian feels the call of his spell disperse, he’s at first puzzled by the lack of an effect.  He performed the ritual carefully and precisely, but no guardian has appeared.  At a grunt from Gamesh, Yarlaganda looks toward the southwest.  Something is moving there, on the horizon.  As the party squints to identify the summoned beast, the Gutian is reminded of one of the rumors they heard in Babylon.  The creature is a solitary albino lion.

The creature calmly, almost lazily walks past the humans and animals, and into the midst of the camp.  It’s fur and wild mane are an unblemished shade of white; there’s not a speck of dirt to be observed on it.  When the lion reaches the circle of rocks, the beast snaps up the rations Yarlaganda had laid for it.  Then it settles down within the circle of stones, folds its paws in front of it, and begins a solemn watch.

— —
Murdus’s Activities

Foraging
Roll 13 + 171 Foraging Skill = 184
Result: Absolute Success.

The animist is like a minor god of foraging — it’s impressive, and almost unsettling to watch him return to the camp with harvest after harvest of berries and roots.  Murdus finds more than enough water and edible vegetation in the area around the camp to feed the camp for the night.  It’s not meat, of course, but it’s not exactly like you have many choices out here.

Herb Lore
Roll 20 + 105 = 125
Result:  Success.

Among the berries you pick, you find a small bush that bears a curious yellow berry with many seeds.  These berries have a bitter taste, but just one will cancel the effects of stun for 4 rounds after they’re ingested.  You find 7 doses.

(I should really finish that herb chart!)

Random Skill
Murdus has 26 non-weapon skills under his “Notable Skills.”
Roll 26.
Result: Weather Watching.
Roll 32 + 79 = 111
Result:  Success.  Murdus confirms Yarlaganda’s impressions.

— —
Nur-ili’s Activities
Sunset for Mesopotamia, at this time of year, is a few minutes after 6:30 PM.  Sunrise would be around 5:30 am, with (astronomical) twilight beginning around 4:00 AM.

If left to his own devices, Nur-ili will beg you for a blanket or some heavier clothing, and find somewhere to sleep as soon as you stop.  He will nap until around 10:00 PM, then rise and walk a short distance away from the camp.  Away from the fire, whatever characters are awake will see him watching the stars, and singing to himself.

Singing
Roll 28 + Skill 51 = 79.
Result:  Partial Success.

The young man has obvious talent, but whether its the setting, or the stresses of his recent captivity, it’s not a perfect performance.  Maybe he’s just not trying?

For those characters who listen, he repeats this hymn over and over to himself:

Pullusū rubû;
Wašrū sikkūrū šērētum šaknā.
Habrātum nišū šaqummā.
Petûtum uddulū bābū.
Ilī mātim ištarāt mātim
Šamaš, Sîn, Adad, Eštar
Īterbū ana utūl šamê.
Ul idinnū dīnam,
ul iparrasū awâtim.
Pussumat mušītim;
Ekallum šahur, šaqummū ṣērū.
Ālik urhim ilam išassi, u ša
dīnim ušteberre šittam.
Dayyān kīnātim, abi ekiātim,
Šamaš, īterub ana kummīšu.
Rabûtum ili mušītim,
Nawirum Gibil,
Qurādum Erra,
Qaštum, Nīrum,
Šitaddarum, Mušhuššum,
Ereqqum, Inzum,
Kusarikkum, Bašmum,
Lizzizū-ma.
Ina têrti eppušu,
Ina puhād akarrabu,
Kīttam šuknān.
Ikrib mušītim.


Princes are diverted;
Door-bolts are set, rings in place.
The noisome people are silent.
Doors that were open are locked.
The gods and goddesses of the land,
Šamaš, Sîn, Adad, Eštar,
Have entered heaven to sleep.
They render no verdicts,
they decide no suits.
Night is veiled;
The palace is still, the countryside silent.
A traveler calls a god, and a litigant remains asleep.
The judge of just causes, father of the homeless,
Šamaš, has entered his cella.
May the great gods of the night,
Bright Gibil,
Warrior Erra,
Bow, Yoke,
Orion, Dragon,
Wagon, Lyra,
Bison, Hydra,
Stand ready.
In the divination I perform,
In the lamb I dedicate,
Place the truth.
The prayer of the night.

Nur-ili will watch the stars until morning twilight, unless interrupted. Then he will return to sleep and be difficult to rouse.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 21, 2018, 01:15:45 PM
Yarlaganda

offers his blanket to Nur-īlī when the man asks. But, he does not think his clothes will fit the smaller man.  He'll abandon his search for water when Murdus finds some, seemingly out of nowhere, and fills his waterskin.

The Gutian is awed by the albino lion, as it approaches. Surely, this is a good omen. He remembers the rumors from the city... Perhaps we have the favor of a god? He looks at Lahwi the Holy Warrior, but says nothing.

Gamesh has plenty to say, however. Wonderful, he says with sarcasm. Haven't we seen enough predators today? And now you call another one. Blue dogs, white cats, where does it end... But Yarlaganda ignores him, and the camel soon trails off. He knows what's afoot, and that the lion is no threat. In fact, he spends the night as close to the lion guardian as he dares, sleeping soundly just outside the circle of stones.

Yarlaganda watches solemnly as the lion takes its position. "I have called the desert, and the desert has answered," he says quietly, in the Old Words of gratitude for a successful summoning. They're not just empty words, like the time years ago, when the wilderness sent him an irritable ground squirrel. This time he means the words with all his heart.

After a few moments of prayer, he'll join the others by the fire. "Rest easy tonight, my friends," he says. "The Desert itself watches over us."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 22, 2018, 06:56:32 AM
Lahwi-Addu

eyed the white lion's appearance with a mixture of disbelief and awe. He gave a quick walk around the camp looking eastward to see if a tempest of devils would come forth. After a while he settled down to sleep.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 22, 2018, 08:59:46 AM
Murdus

Having found the Berries... he'll do the standard enhancement on them before distributing one to each of his 'company'... explaining it's correct usage and effect..

"If you have time, during combat, place the berry in your mouth.. and bite upon it only when you are stuck and feel yourself disorientated... it will bring you to your senses"

---------------------

Basically giving one each to the players ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 23, 2018, 10:32:16 AM
Lahwi-Addu

The Amorite thanked the Animist for the herb. He tucked it in the pouch carefully.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on July 23, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
Keeping a knife handy, Indattu thinks <<these truly are strange times; Blue wolves who attack and a white lion which doesn't.>>
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 23, 2018, 11:57:32 PM
Yarlaganda

takes the berry Murdus offered and stores it away.

He'll sit by the fire and listen to the astrologer sing.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 24, 2018, 01:39:24 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos is surprised by the new travelers to say the least.  Who introduces them selves saying they speak better with daggers than words; can't remember where they are traveling to; or summon an albino lion without giving any warning.  However, Klumenos does feel better knowing the lion will be watching over their slumber--given that it obviously has know interest in feeding upon them.  The youth he might be able to sing, but hasn't proven, it seems odd too.  But then again, this Murdus offers a berry to relieve stun!


Despite the lack of meat provided by the local, Klumenos rummages in a pack and produced a bundle of meat.  "I have some salt pork here, but if any of you are Hebrew, I Also have dried fish."  He looks about to see if any are put off by the pork.  He also produces a 1 gallon copper cook pot, a knife to cut the meat and a wooden ladle.  "Oh I also have some wine, too," he adds, then almost as an after thought he says, "Just because you are traveling doesn't mean you need to suffer--well not every day!"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 24, 2018, 06:12:25 AM
Murdus

"A little variety in the diet is good for the body and the spirit... yes, I can make use of these.. if you wish?" he says in reply to the newcomers offer, turning to the rest.

He, himself knows no reason as to why this Hebrew offering should  pose him any problem.... as the others, he does not know.

He'll use what ingredients he has to prepare a meal.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 24, 2018, 08:06:24 AM
Lahwi-Addu

took a bit of the pork meat offered by the Minoan and thanked him. (Just X, I think there are still no Hebrews around as it is the time of Hammurabi and I think the precise date of the adventure is 1785 BC.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 24, 2018, 06:56:06 PM
Yarlaganda

happily takes some of both the pork and fish, and has some wine as well.

“My thanks,” he says around a mouthful of food. “You have the look of one from distant lands. Where is your home?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 25, 2018, 01:50:53 AM
Klumenos


"While it has been a long time, since I have been home, I am from the island of Kaptara in the middle of the great sea to the west.  It is a beautiful place with Cyprus trees, three high chains of mountains, golden coasts, cool blue rivers, and beautiful women."  He gets a bit misty eyed as he reminisces, and the continues, "But what I think I miss most is the joy of vaulting the bulls.  And what of each of you?" 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 25, 2018, 03:42:19 AM
OOC:  I’ll update the Equipment thread tomorrow to reflect the berries, etc.  I’ll let you guys roleplay through this meeting, and give Quixotic a chance to post as well.

While we’re doing that, everyone should make two perception checks (Alertness or Observation, your choice), modified by -20.  This represents your perceptions during the portions of the night when you’re awake or on watch.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 25, 2018, 09:29:11 AM
Lahwi-Addu

responded to Klumenos, "My people has come from the land of Canaan, the bridge betweeen Africa and Asia. To Egypt we look no more. We settled in the land of the Sumerians but they dwindled, and our peoples have merged; ours were the hands that built Babylon."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 25, 2018, 07:20:24 PM
Yarlaganda

nods in appreciation of Klumenos’ description of his homeland. “That sounds like a land of beauty and plenty.” He is intrigued by the ‘bull vaulting,’ but he decides not to badger the stranger with questions.

“I am a Gutian; my people live beyond the Zagros mountains,” he says in answer to Klumenos’ queesion, gesturing in the appropriate direction. “We have no trees, nor blue rivers, nor coasts, nor vaults, nor bulls, nor beautiful women,” he laughs. “And so I am here.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 26, 2018, 03:23:49 AM
As you scan the desert around you, there are times that Murdus, Indattu and and Qišti-Marduk get the odd feeling that something is watching them back.  But only Lahwi-Addu actually sees anything.  A mannish form moves in the starlight, stooping low to the ground at least 500 yards away.  It does not move closer to your camp, but seems to prowl about for an hour or so before you loose sight of it.

The night is otherwise uneventful.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Quixotic on July 26, 2018, 05:13:45 AM
Qīšti-Marduk

watched the others at the camp, and the white lion that was summoned to guard those who would sleep.  It was good to be a larger and more military capable group, Qi was tired from lack of sleep and, while he did not mean to be, he had been rude by keeping quiet and letting his companion be their host.

He was feeling better now that morning had come.  He took the last watch, and introduced himself as the others woke up.

"I am Qīšti-Marduk of Babylon." He finally answered. "I was visiting my mentor who resides in Ešnunna and was exploring the rumours of the smaller towns.  I am a teller of tales and a keeper of knowledge.  I am glad to meet you."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 26, 2018, 09:02:07 PM
Yarlaganda

“Well met, Qīšti-Marduk,” the ranger says as he breaks camp. He slept unusually well last night, under the protection of the noble lion.

“Tell me,” he says to the bard a bit later, “In the knowledge you keep, do you know why a troop of jackals might be covered in blue powder? And adorned with a symbol?” he asks, drawing the symbol in the sand.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 27, 2018, 04:06:08 AM
Klumenos
Klumenos approaches Qisti-Marduk when none of the others are nearby.  “When we left Esnunna headed south to Babylon, your home, I agreed to be your traveling companion.  Now we meet this group.”, he nods to the rest, “They are unusual, not military, nor merchants and guards, nor even a reconnaissance patrol.  Yet, they can produce food and water in the desert, summon an albino lions to watch over us as we sleep and had dispatched a band of potentially mystical jackals.’’  He stops himself, and then starts again, “What I am saying is that I plan to join this crew and follow them to Birsum, assuming that they will let me.  I mean no disrespect to you and feel bad that I cannot accompany you to Babylon; however, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 27, 2018, 04:26:35 AM
From Yarlaganda’s description, Qišti-Marduk immediately recognizes the symbol.  It was used roughly 500 years ago by the Kalbū Šamrūtum (OB. “The Furious Dogs”), an obscure cult devoted to the god Meslamtaea.  The cult was driven out of the Sumerian city of Gudua (now Kutha) during the reign of Sargon the Great, and briefly settled in a small enclave now called Kūr-Nergal Kār-Nergal, where they were eventually annihilated by the army of Naram-Sîn.

In these enlightened times, most people believe that Meslamtaea is an aspect of Nergal.

The site of Kār-Nergal, interestingly enough, isn’t that far away.  You’re about half a day’s journey eastwards to the village of Bisrum, and if you follow the river upstream from the village, you would reach it in another half a day.  It is not known to be inhabited, and travelers who follow the river north generally shy away from it.

As for the practices of the cult themselves, the kings of Akkade persecuted the Dogs because they believed them responsible for plagues and famine.  The cult’s adherents were often said to be fanatics, whose rituals included violence and death.  Even wild animals shunned them, with the exception of carrion-feeding dogs and jackals.

The Dogs were also known to have favored the color blue.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 27, 2018, 11:13:30 PM
Lahwi-Addu

complimented Qīšti-Marduk. "It's good to meet a Bard on our voyages! This thing of the jackals seems to be for now explained."

And he addressed the rest of the party, "Is there any way to avoid passing near Kūr-Nergal, the ruins and lair of these beasts?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 28, 2018, 02:00:41 AM
Yarlaganda

nods in satisfaction at Qīšti-Marduk's explanation, and in agreement with
Lahwi. "But how is it that we were attacked by jackals with the sign and color of this old cult, five hundred years later? It seems they may not have been annihilated after all."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 28, 2018, 02:26:11 PM
The party’s path so far…

(https://i.imgur.com/iux2Yc6.png)

Credit to Ian Mladjov for the map.  You can see the full one here (https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/imladjov/maps).  I decided not to use this map earlier because many of these place names (e.g., Karduniaš) are either Kassite or Neo-Babylonian (and therefore after our time period).  As you can probably guess, Bāb-ilim (OB. “Gate of the God”) is the Akkadian name of Babylon.

I also mistyped the name of the cult’s last refuge.  It should be Kār-Nergal not Kūr-Nergal (In OB. kārum is usually “harbor” or “quay”, but here, “Colony of Nergal”).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 29, 2018, 04:15:46 AM
6th day of Ayyarum (April 21st, 1767 BCE)
The sun rises normally over the Mesopotamian wilderness.  Will the party take any other actions before finishing their journey to the village of Bisrum?

On the above map, Bisrum is a little south and west of Kār-Nergal.  If you continue on your way, you will not have to pass by it (in fact, you have to pass through Bisrum to get to the river).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 29, 2018, 06:23:43 AM
Murdus

"Birsum? Birsum?... where have I heard that before.. ah, yes.. I remember..." he thinks..

"Oh well, it appears as if Birsum is on our way... it would be rude not to visit.... I vaguely remember a matter of some import there... perhaps we should not tarry... strange blue jackals not withstanding..?" he says, chewing on a piece of random root vegetable he seems to have picked up somewhere.

 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 29, 2018, 09:12:59 AM
Lahwi-Addu

nods, "Yes, Murdus let's hurry up." He motioned his donkey to walk.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 29, 2018, 03:38:43 PM
Yarlaganda

pulls Murdus aside, and reminds him gently that they are delivering the tablets to Birsum, for silver. He emphasizes the "silver."  He also hints that their new companion Nur-īli may in fact be the intended recipient of the tablets.

He also heats a large portion of dried meat from his own rations and tosses it into the circle with the albino lion. "We thank you for your protection," he says quietly. "May you be blessed in your hunts. Go in peace." He moves some of the stones aside, breaking the circle.

He then feeds Gamesh, and eats his own breakfast before breaking camp.

He's ready to move on.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 29, 2018, 06:37:16 PM
Murdus

"We are?" he says.... adding a wink.

"Indeed, Indeed, he might..." he then whispers in return.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 30, 2018, 12:16:46 AM
Klumenos

Klumenos says, “I have no pressing business in Babylon.  I am curious about the oddities going on storms, jackal attacks, and long extinct cults—would you mind if I tag along with your group?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 30, 2018, 03:36:48 AM
The white lion eats the meat slowly, while the rest of the party begins to pack up.  When he’s finished, the beast gets up and leaves the circle.  With a lumbering stride, the lion walks into the wilderness to the southwest.

The party abandons their campsite soon after.  Nur-ili was difficult to wake, and begs for whatever rations the party will share.  Despite his hunger, he seems to be in better spirits.

— —

The party travels for a few hours.  Soon after you begin your journey, the more eagle-eyed members of the group notice several large birds moving in the same easterly direction you’re traveling.  (OOC:  a fauna check anyone?)

The terrain is becoming more hilly now, with a general tendency toward a decline in elevation.  It’s not enough to cause you any trouble (OOC: you won’t need any rolls or anything), and it’s probably a welcome change from the mostly flat wastes you had been traveling through.

— —

A little after mid-morning, the vague track you’re following skirts a group of natural hills.  As you come to the end of them, you see the body of a man laying face down on the path, at the place where the road finally seems to move on past the mounds.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 30, 2018, 08:08:46 AM
Murdus

Whilst apparently idling along the road, his attention always seems to be elsewhere other than his immediate environment. Whether this is due to his trust that the donkey he leads will warn him of impending pot-holes etc or that Murdus has some innate arcane ground-following sense isn't exactly clear... but it's fairly obvious he's not really concentrating on anything in particular... He'll occasionally make the random comment about certain plants, bushes and shrubs they pass... and in some cases openly greet them good morning...

He spots the birds and declares what they are... before then becoming distracted again by another shrub.

When they come across the body of the man though.... unless he is stopped he will investigate. 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 30, 2018, 12:48:23 PM
Murdus immediately recognizes the birds as vultures.  They appear normal.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 30, 2018, 02:57:58 PM
Yarlaganda

will intervene and investigate the body first.

“Wise one,” he says to Murdus, signalling for him to wait, “Allow me please.”

He’ll appraoach the body, still riding on Gamesh, and if it doesn’t move he’ll prod it gently with his spear.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 30, 2018, 03:08:53 PM
Klumenos

Klumenos will approach closer to the body, but still maintain several yards allowing  Yarlaganda to perform the up close inspection.  Klumenos will look to see if he can determine the direction the man was traveling.


I assume this is observation (+32)


Rolled 1d100+32 : 94 + 32, total 126


Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 31, 2018, 04:43:35 AM
OOC: Success!  Observation works.

— —

As you get closer to the body, the smell of decay fills your nose.  Yarlaganda's spear point easily punctures the flesh of the man.  The body doesn't respond, except perhaps the odor grows worse.  The corpse appears quite dead, and has been for several days.

It's wearing the remains of a leather breast plate, but you don't see a weapon, or a helm.  The body displays a host of wounds.  From Klumenos's cursory inspection, he sees that the man is missing all the fingers from his right hand.  There are several deep wounds on the man's exposed arms and legs, and what remains of his head and face are covered in dried blood.

You sight several spots where blood stains the dirt beyond the body.  If this blood once belonged to the corpse, then the man was traveling away from the direction you’re going.

Perhaps someone would like to make a skill check related to the analysis of his injuries?  Or examine him closer?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 31, 2018, 07:57:35 AM
Murdus

First covering his mouth with a cloth he goes and has a closer look... but a thought occurs to him as he does so... those Vultures he saw, they were also headed along our path...

"I sense this will not be the last we find..." he states.

--------------------------------

OOC: Skills wise... he has Lore (Technical, default) +33....  for medical conditions, Fauna Lore +62 (Possible cause of source of attack?)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 31, 2018, 03:41:58 PM
Yarlaganda

will leave the corpse to the wiser men. While they study the body, he'll take Gamesh up one of the hills. He'll have a look around to see what lies ahead. He'll also study the ground as he searches, looking for signs of who passed this way.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 31, 2018, 03:56:44 PM
Murdus

Looks puzzled, "Well he's dead.... I'm guessing it wasn't from Old age...".

Distracted he goes over to the nearest bush to ask if it saw anything...

-----------------------

OOC: LOL "It doesn't hurt to aske... after all next level he's gonna get "Plant Tongues"... ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 31, 2018, 08:02:24 PM
Lahwi-Addu

tentatively offered that "The body might have belonged to the same detachment the soldiers we found on the road before?"

He asked the assassin, "You're pretty calm Elamite, what do you propose? Make a detour at the base of this awful cult or go straight to Birsum, Indattu?"

And to the Gutian, "If you were able to summon a pack of lions the like of the albino, we might have a chance to confront the devils!"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on July 31, 2018, 08:57:34 PM
And to the Gutian, "If you were able to summon a pack of lions the like of the albino, we might have a chance to confront the devils!"

Yarlaganda

laughs happily at the thought. "If only I could, god-warrior!" he says to Lahwi, giving the paladin a friendly slap on the back. "Alas, all I can do is ask such things of the Desert. The Desert answers how she chooses, if she answers at all. I find she has a fickle humor... though that noble lion was certainly a sign of Her favor. She was likely pleased that we rid her of those unholy jackals."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 31, 2018, 10:18:59 PM
Klumenos


"I hope he isn't from the village we are headed for," says Klumenos.  Then he turns to the astrologer and ask, "Do you recognize him?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 01, 2018, 04:25:39 AM
Taking things order:

Murdus’s analysis doesn’t tell him much beyond what his eyes can see.  The man is dead.  His end was probably unpleasant.

— —

Yarlaganda marches Gamesh up one of the hills.  From the top of the hill, the Gutian can see 2.24 bērū (15 miles, 24.14 KM*) to the horizon. It’s a bright, clear day, and he doesn’t have any difficulty recognizing the carnage below.  Just beyond this line of hills, over a space of roughly five square miles, the bodies of perhaps a thousand men and animals litter the ground.  From your observation point, you do not spy movement, except a host of large birds who are feasting on the remains.

At the farther edge of the battlefield, you can see a small network of canals and fields.  There is a cluster of houses beyond, which appear to signal the edges of a village.

Back on the path, you can tell that several men fled the battlefield down this path a couple of days ago.  Other than animals, you find no other tracks.

— —

The astrologer has seemed occupied with his own thoughts all morning.  He responds to Klumenos’s question quickly, but his expression is of someone coming out of a trance.  “No, not one of mine.”  Then after scrutinizing the body for a moment, he laughs.  “Babylonian — Ešnunnan — they all look the same dead.  I wonder, foreigner, if we’d be able to distinguish your corpse?”

— —

OOC:  *This number isn't arbitrary.  √((*7,917.5 miles [diameter of the earth] * 150 feet [elevation above ground level] )/ 5280]) = 15.00 miles.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 01, 2018, 03:10:35 PM
Yarlaganda

retraces his steps down the hill to the group.

"A large battle happened, just over the hill. A thousand dead, maybe. It looks like the danger has moved on. At any rate, I did not see any threats, but one never knows."

"There is a village on the other side. Birsum, perhaps?" He looks at the astrologer for confirmation, but doesn't really expect any.

"We'll have to cross the battlefield to get there. We must be careful."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 02, 2018, 06:02:51 AM
I check for any...

interesting injuries.
symptoms of poisons I might recognize
Are there any heraldic emblems I might recognize?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 03, 2018, 03:41:46 AM
There are no emblems on the body, but Indattu-Inšušinak suspects that the style of armor is identical to that which foot-soldiers purchase in Babylon — but he’s not precisely sure (Partial Success on Region Lore, Failure on Heraldry).  He observes no other signs, besides those already mentioned by the other party members.

However, using his assassin’s knowledge of poisons, Inadttu is absolutely certain that the man did not die as a result of poison.  Instead, his grizzly wounds killed him.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 04, 2018, 02:02:22 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos takes a deep breath and moves forward toward the corpse.  He quickly searches the body for a purse of other valuables.


Rolled 1d100+23 : 10 + 23, total 33
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 04, 2018, 03:13:18 AM
Regrettably, Klumenos isn’t rewarded for his gruesome task.  The man has no weapon, and his cheap armor would need significant repairs to make it worth anything.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 04, 2018, 06:43:23 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos backs away from the corpse and gulps for fresh air.  Once he catches his breath, he says, "Well if he had any wealth, he certainly wouldn't need it now, but we may have made good use of it!"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 05, 2018, 03:58:15 AM
Gentlemen, shall we move on?  Is there anything else you want to do, or do you continue on your way to Bisrum?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 05, 2018, 06:50:46 AM
Murdus

Wrinkling his nose in displeasure, Murdus leads his donkey and cart around the corpse... and continues on his path to Birsum.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 05, 2018, 11:53:15 AM
Yarlaganda

will carefully pick a path for the party through the battlefield. He won't linger in the midst of the corpses, but he'll keep his eye open for trouble (and any shiny baubles that the ineveitable looters might have missed).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 06, 2018, 05:19:47 AM
The party crosses the battlefield.

The bodies you encounter are in a similar state as the last one you found -- multiple wounds, many of them unusual for soldiers injured in battle.  Many have missing ears or noses, and several have had one or both eyes gouged out.  Many of the dead also don't have weapons near them.  You also notice that more than a few appear to have human bite marks upon their exposed skin.

You find the occasional animal among the dead -- mostly donkeys.  Their wounds are even worse than the men, and most appear to have been deliberately mutilated.

You can attempt to scavenge the bodies if you want.  You know that both sides of this conflict probably had camps nearby, or some kind of baggage train, since it seems that they aren't carrying packs or camp goods.

-- --

You're all nearing the village now, and the network of canals.  Many of the ditches seem to be damaged, and the fields which have been deprived of water already appear to be suffering.  After moving through several of the parched fields, you come to a little bridge over an empty ditch.  On the other side of this is a short barren space, then a few more fields and three outlying houses.

The view from the bridge:

(https://i.imgur.com/75lJENy.jpg)

Probably a good time for perception rolls.  Also to let me know if you want to adjust your positioning.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 06, 2018, 07:14:06 AM
Murdus

He feels a pang of sadness come over him. Crops left un-tended, donkeys mutilated.. men biting men... he'll ponder over the dress of the combatants... does there seem to be two separate "sides" or as if all just attacked each other?

Comforting his own donkey he'll look around, though he suspects younger eyes than his own will determine if there is any threat...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 06, 2018, 06:54:31 PM
Yarlaganda

Gamesh snorts at the donkeys, visibly perturbed. I don’t like this at all.

Yarlaganda agrees. Something fell is afoot here...

Normally, he would loot rapaciously. But he feels uneasy here, and keeps his eye moving and his spear ready. In particular, he’ll watchvthe canals and the village for signs of activity.

======

OOC: Yarlaganda will stay mounted on Gamesh for now. Also, did the  astrologer come with us onto the battlefield? Didn’t see him on the map.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 06, 2018, 11:35:36 PM
Klumenos


Following the assassin toward the village Klumenos drops back to the donkey and retrieves his shield.  He feels the nervousness of the rest of the party having seen the gruesome acts played out on the battlefield.  More to calm himself than anything else he says, "That did not look like an ordinary battle and both side appear to have lost!  Mutilation of the dead is not a common practice amongst any army I have known.  I suspect that the not so extinct cult may have much to do with this.  I am unfamiliar with the ancient history of this area.  Do any of you know more about this cult?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 07, 2018, 03:44:44 AM
Also, did the  astrologer come with us onto the battlefield? Didn’t see him on the map.
OOC:  Um...I kind of forgot about him?  :wizi:  He’s there too!

-- --

Murdus can see that there are generally two types of armor represented among the dead. The curious thing is that several of the bodies seem to have died while locked in combat, and more than a few of these couples appear to include a member of one side fighting against a man on his own side.

-- --

The hair on the back of Yarlaganda’s neck prickles, but nothing seems out of place.  Maybe if he looked around a bit more?

Perhaps it’s Murdus’s position relative to the other party members, but the animist notices movement within the middle house.

The astrologer points at this structure.  “This is where things get interesting,” he says casually.  You notice that he’s hanging around at the back of the group.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 07, 2018, 06:21:26 AM
Murdus

"I agree...I see movement.. there.." he indicates to the rest as he turns to the Astrologer... "then it would be rude of me to obscure your view.." and with that, guides him toward the front.

"I believe a madness came over them... some seemed to be attacking those of their own side.." he says showing him a closer example.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 07, 2018, 12:18:01 PM
Yarlaganda

never disregards the prickling of his neck hairs. He hears the conversation between Murdus and Klumenos, and looks closely at the building they’re indicating.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 08, 2018, 03:33:57 AM
Yarlaganda notices the movement now as well.  There's definitely someone inside the house.

As soon as the Gutian sees this, however, an ear-splitting howl issues from somewhere in the structure.  As if in response, three men exit the house on the ground level, and another one comes out of the small room on the roof.  Three more men step out from around another of the houses (the one at the bottom of the map).

It seems to you that none of the men are wearing armor.  Instead they are clothed only in loose-fitting robes.  At this distance, you see no weapons on them, and they are either barefoot or wearing thin sandals.  The man on the roof jumps to the ground.  As one, they all begin to walk toward you.

OOC:  A successful Observation check might yield more information.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 08, 2018, 08:51:11 AM
Lahwi-addu

thought that the men on the house might know what happened on the battlefield. He scanned the area around the house with attention (Observation check).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 09, 2018, 03:51:05 AM
OOC: I’m giving everyone a +30 Routine bonus on Observation because it’s broad daylight, these fellows are the only thing moving on the scene, and you’re relatively close to them.  So the final results are Lahwi 138 Success, Indattu 102 Partial Success, and Yarla 111 (Barely) Success.

— —

Lahwi-Addu, Yarlaganda, and Indattu are able to gain more information.  There is nothing peculiar about the house and its surroundings other than the men.

These men look rather rough to you, and there’s something about their thin faces, scrawny limbs, and wiry, irregular facial hair, and moreover their threadbare garments — you're reminded of the homeless beggars you've seen in the villages, and along the road outside of city gates.  (Hammu-rapi, authoritarian that he is, does not suffer beggars within the walls of Babylon).  You’re pretty certain they’re unarmed.

(https://i.imgur.com/oPmIAku.jpg)

The men have all assembled in a rough line and continue to advance toward you.  One near the center (J3) points toward the astrologer as Murdus drags him forward.  “Take him alive, and kill the others,” he orders the other men.  He speaks this quite loudly in Akkadian, as if he wants you to hear it, but his voice seems hoarse.  Anyone with more than 6 ranks in spoken Akkadian finds the accent strange.

— —

OOC: Round 1 Declarations?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 09, 2018, 07:05:47 AM
Murdus

He will draw a dagger, step forward behind the astrologer and hold the dagger to his neck..

He'll quickly whisper in the astrologers ear "Do not be afraid, I won't hurt you"

Then louder he says "Speak your business or the youth dies..."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 09, 2018, 04:17:25 PM
Klumenos


Seeing Murdus's ploy he will take the opportunity to ready his bow, setting his shield still within reach
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 09, 2018, 04:39:16 PM
Yarlaganda

dismounts, draws his sword, and readies his shield.

Get on the bridge, he directs Gamesh, remembering the disembowled animals on the battlefield. See if the donkey will go with you,
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 09, 2018, 09:19:08 PM
Lahwi-Addu

will follow the rest of the party to the bridge, and will dismount and hold the donkey by the reins.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 10, 2018, 04:12:49 AM
In response to Murdus’s threat, the same man who spoke before (J3) holds out his arms and stops the men on either side of him.  The rest of his group does the same.

He looks at Murdus for a moment, and then seems to hold up his nose, as if sniffing the air.  This is odd, as there’s still roughly 125 feet between you.

The man looks back at Murdus and smiles.  “All we want is the namzāq namzītim!” he calls out in his strange accent.  All of you recognize the Akkadian words, for what they're worth.  Namzāq namzītim means, literally, "the key to the tub."

In the instant after the spokesman says this, one of the other men, (J5) adds in a guttural growl, “And the thief’s hide!”  Some of the other men signal their assent, but a look from their leader (J3) quiets them.

“I wonder,” the leader calls out again, “Do you have the will to do it?  It must be a difficult choice for you: kill the young man, and lose your only bargaining chip!”

— —

OOC:  I feel like this should be a Duping roll.  It's a good gambit, but your opponent is wily and driven.  I suspect it would be at least a Very Hard rating, given that 1) the men want to capture him quickly, and 2) they would enjoy seeing him killed, they only want the information he has.  Of course, I'm open to any other skills you may attempt.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 10, 2018, 05:10:32 AM
Yarlaganda

takes advantage of the parley to kneel and scratch a small circle in the ground. He knows he's pressing his luck to ask the Desert for aid again, so soon, but these men seem unnatural to him. He says the old words again, and throws a handful of dust in the air.

Gamesh retreats back onto the bridge, stopping at the highest point in the middle.
====

OOC Yarlaganda attempts to cast Summon Guardian.

Edit: Added Gamesh's action.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 10, 2018, 06:35:04 AM
Murdus

"Truthfully, I care not..... for by your own words we were to die anyway. I'm not a bitter man, but I see little point in both dying and giving you want you and your men want... so what choice do I have?"

===================

OOC: Who says he is lying? ;) ..... but he is trying to stall, besides the Astrologer makes a good shield. ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 10, 2018, 12:04:48 PM
>> In the instant after the spokesman says this, one of the other men, (J5) adds in a
>> guttural growl, “And the thief’s hide!”

You are welcome to try.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 10, 2018, 01:45:20 PM
Klumeons


Klumenos listens to the man's accent and tries to place it, if he can.







Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 11, 2018, 04:50:22 AM
Indattu doesn’t recognize any of the men.  On second thought, you think the “thief” in question might be the astrologer.  (OOC: Sorry for the confusion!)

— —

Yarlaganda casts his spell.  After a moment, he senses something moving in the shadows under the bridge.  A giant scorpion (OOC: Size M, see the “Gemsting” entry on p. 34 of C&M) scuttles out of the ditch and climbs up onto the bridge to stand before the ranger.  Its carapace is beautiful and otherworldly, in the sunlight it glistens hues of black and green.  You’re reminded of the precious gems you’ve seen adorning the statutes of the gods in their holy processions.

(OOC:  Keep in mind, a guardian is not really an offensive creature — you can’t tell it to run up and attack someone.  It will, of course, attack if Yarlaganda is, and stand and protect him.)

— —

Klumenos, having widely traveled among Akkadian-speaking regions, knows that this accent is unique.  In fact, it almost seems slightly archaic to him.

— —

After Murdus speaks, and the men see Yarlaganda summon the magical creature, their leader makes his decision.  A shudder passes through his whole body, and after a moment, the bodies of the other men began to convulse in a similar fashion.

The scrawny bodies of the men began to warp and change.  Their faces, hands, and feet grow longer, and yellow-brown fur sprouts to cover them from head to toe.  You’re reminded of the jackals you faced yesterday.

(https://i.imgur.com/4AXKTh4.jpg)

Only one of the men (J6) fails to make the change.  You see him straining as if to force it, but all his effort is for naught.

The six lycanthropes who have successfully changed into their jackal forms crouch down.  They’ve spent this round changing, but appear ready for battle next round.

“Don’t let them bite you,” suggests the astrologer with a smirk.

— —

Declarations, Initiatives, and Actions for Round 2?

For their part, the werejackals are going to wait and see what you do next, i.e., delay their action until the deliberate phase.  Hint: Some of them might have skills from the Self Defense or Combat Maneuvers skill categories.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 11, 2018, 07:44:17 AM
Lahwi-Addu

will grab his bow and try his luck at the Jackal leader, the one who spoke.

Great picture, Enheduanna!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 11, 2018, 10:35:37 AM
Murdus

Keeping the Astrologer within reach, changes dagger to left hand, retrieves spear, then advances (him and the Astrologer) to a position where the remainder of the party (and the Scorpion ;) ) can interpose themselves against any attackers.

----------------------------

OOC: I'm guessing this is to the rear of the bridge... He'll go full defensive.. for whatever good that will do... ;). All actions taken in the deliberate phase.   
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 11, 2018, 10:42:09 AM
Yarlaganda

moves to stand beside the scorpion. "Get on the bridge," he suggests to Murdus and the astrologer, "and block it with the cart, behind you."

To the others he suggests, "Form a perimeter around the bridge entrance. Stay near the scorpion. Let them come to us."

He glances back at the astrologer. "I don't suppose you could just give them this 'key?'"

Gamesh crosses the bridge the rest of the way and will keep an eye on the battlefield behind them, watching for any threats from the other side of the bridge.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 11, 2018, 11:15:10 AM
Donkey (and Cart)

Feeling rather neglected Dubus the Donkey just wants attention and decides to follow Murdus... the cart being similarly attached to Dubus doesn't have the option.

However, Dubus is a *little* dubious... when it sees the scorpion at the far end of the bridge... it decides that it feels quite close enough to Murdus and stops directly behind him...

=====================

OOC: ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 12, 2018, 01:31:18 AM
Lahwi-Addu

formed a perimeter around the bridge entrance, and staid near the scorpion as suggested by Yarlaganda. He'll throw another arrow while he has the time (two per round at -10). The range was bad but he fired nevertheless (101'-180'   -40).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 12, 2018, 07:10:10 AM
I draw my weapon and fight the nearest foe to me.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 13, 2018, 01:45:39 AM

Klumenos

Klumenos will fire at the foe that doesn't change (J6).  And reload with the intent to find a new foe at What ever penalty is applied to a second shot that round.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 14, 2018, 05:50:18 AM
Round Two[/u]
As the werejackals are all waiting to see what you do, there’s not really much point in initiatives this round.

1.  Lahwi-Addu shoots an arrow at J3.
Roll 43 + 73 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 Range = 36
Result: Miss!

2.  Lahwi-Addu shoots another arrow at J3
Roll 6 + 73 + 10 Deliberate -40 Range -10 Reload - 50 DB = -11
Result: Miss!

3.  Klumenos shoots an arrow at J6
Roll 4 = Fumble
Fumble Roll 67
Result:  Your bow is now two rounds away from you.

— —

The werejackals have waited until the Deliberate Phase to act.  They now spend all of the remaining 80% of the round in movement.  They also have to deal with the ditches and soggy fields, a Medium maneuver for your un-armored foes.  The werejackals all have a +40 bonus to the MM roll.

The werejackals' normal movement rate is 120’, so they can run 240’ in a full round.  Their route over the ditches includes the roughly 50 feet of soggy terrain.

— —

4.  J1 runs the first 20 feet (4 squares) (8% of his 80% movement) before he encounters the ditches.  He rolls a 91+40=131 on his MM, so he navigates the soggy area at 100% of his MM rate, but 100% on an MM only equals 1/2 of the base movement rate.  The 50 feet of marshland equals 100 feet of normal movement, and thus, he still has another 7 feet to go next round before he’s on dry land.

5.  J2 begins five feet closer to the ditches, and only spends 15 feet at a run to get there (6% of his 80% available).  He rolls a 54+40=94 on his MM, and so moves at only 70% of his MM rate.  For him, the 50 feet of marshland takes 130 feet of his movement, so he won’t clear the ditches this round.  He has another 21 feet of soggy land to cross next round.

6.  J3 runs the first 20 feet (4 squares) (8% of his 80% movement) before he encounters the ditches.  He rolls an 18+40=58 on his MM, and so moves at only 40% of his MM rate.  For J3, the 50 feet of marshland takes 160 feet of his movement.  He has 24 feet to go next round.

7.  J4 runs 10 feet to the nearest ditch (4% of his 80% round).  He rolls a 41+40=81 on his MM, and so moves at only 60% of his MM rate.  For him, the 50 feet of marshland takes 140 feet of his movement.  He has another 5 feet to move through the wet ground next round,.

8.  J5 begins the round at a ditch.  He rolls 77+40=117 on his MM, so he moves at 100% of his MM rate.  He’ll step on to dry land as round 3 begins.

9.  J6 stands firm and attempts to force his affliction again, to no avail.

10.  J7 begins at the ditch.  He rolls 38+40=70 on his MM, and so moves at only 50% of his MM rate.  For him, the 50 feet of marshland takes 200 feet of normal movement.  He only makes it it halfway across the ditches before the end of the round.

:ill: So much math.  I swear it all makes sense to me, even if I don't describe the percentages above articulately.

— —

Kantron, unfortunately your foes are too far away to hit with a dagger this round.  It was hard for even the bows, but don't worry -- our assassin should get his chance next round.

Just X, the Fumble Chart doesn't really explain what "two rounds away" exactly means.  Certainly it can't mean that the bow flew two rounds of movement away -- that's ludicrous.  How about we say it sprang out of your hand and fell into the dry ditch, and it would take you two rounds to recover it as a result?

— —

Positions, End of Round 2
(https://i.imgur.com/Akodc9O.jpg)

(Let me know if I need to move anyone)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 14, 2018, 01:30:02 PM
Yarlaganda

hears a commotion to his left, on the other side of the scorpion.  He looks over and sees Klumenos, holding an arrow as if to release it, but he has nn bow. Yarlaganda sees the bow sliding down into the ditch.  He laughs heartily.

"Friend, your people have a strange idea of archery!" he says, good-naturedly. "It works better in Babylonia if you shoot the arrow, and keep the bow..."

He puts the "stun-berry" that Murdus gave him between his cheek and gum, but does not bite it.

Then he'll wait, still chuckling at Klumenos' misfortune, and his own wit.  If a werejackal comes into reach during the next round, he'll attack it woth his sword, but he won't move from his spot.

OOC:  :lol: JustX he doesn't mean any harm by it!  :mellow:

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 14, 2018, 06:47:50 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos is disappointed with his performance and reddens visibly at Yarlaganda's jibe.  Seeing the movement to the beasts, he changes tactics and picks up his shield and draws his sword.  Over his should he calls, "I its not too much trouble could someone please retrieve my bow and put it on my donkey?" as he steps forward 5 feet to gain a better facing on the approaching beast-men.  Upon seeing Yarlaganda place the stun-berry in his mouth he will do the same (but in his own mouth).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 14, 2018, 07:16:24 PM
Lahwi-Addu

will do the same trick with the berry. He readies his axe for the incoming clash with the lycanthropes.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 15, 2018, 07:18:18 AM
Murdus

Attempts to retrieves the errant bow... if he can do so easily.(say by hooking it out with a spear point..;)) then returns to his same defensive posture.

OOC: That's a foraging roll right? ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 16, 2018, 04:12:52 AM
Partial Round 3
Snap Phase and Normal


Klumenos steps 5 feet forward.

J1 begins round 3 with 7 feet of muddy land to cross.  His MM roll is 10+40 = 50; result: 30% movement, or only 18 feet of MM movement in the whole round!  Those 7 feet take 39% of J1’s round.  He covers the remaining 45 feet at a run with another 30% of his round.  He arrives within striking distance of Klumenos having spent a full 69% of his activity, and cannot attack this round. 

J2 begins round 3 with 21 feet of muck and a final ditch to cross.  His MM roll is 13+40 = 53; result: 30% movement, or only 18 feet of MM movement in the whole round!  He still has 3 feet to go before he’s over that last ditch.

J3 begins round 3 with 24 feet of muddy land to cross.  His MM roll is 77+40 = 117; result: 100% movement, or 60 feet of MM movement in the whole round.  Those 24 feet take 40% of his movement, and he runs the other 50 feet to stand before the Gutian, using another 34% of his round.  He’s used 79%.

J4 begins round 3 with only 5 feet of soggy land in front of him.  His MM roll is 3+40 = 43; result: 30% movement, or 18 feet of MM movement in the whole round.  Those 5 feet cost him 28% percent of his round.  He runs the remaining 55 feet using 32% of his round, for a total of 62%.

J5 doesn’t need to roll for a MM.  He’s able to start out at a run and cover the 80 feet between him and Lahwi-Addu using only 33% of his movement.  He’s going to attack Lahwi during the Deliberate Phase, at a -33% penalty.

For a split second, if any of the characters are still watching J6, he almost looks as if he’s going to start to change.  But he’s not, and he fails again.

J7 begins round 3 with fully 25 feet of soggy land in front of him.  His MM roll is 28+40 = 68; result: 50% movement, or 30 feet of MM movement in the whole round.  83% of his round is spent getting out of the muck and across the ditches.  He breaks into a run, and covers another 40 feet using all of his round in movement.

Positions After Movement
(https://i.imgur.com/vfhtlJD.jpg)

I assume you’ve all delayed your initiative to strike at these guys during this round.

Kantron: You can step up beside Klumenos to strike at J1 this round if you want.  Or toss a dagger at J1.  Your choice.

Dalewarrior:  J5 is going to get an attack this round, and it’s aimed at you.  Since everyone (probably) delayed their initiative, I’ll resolve his attack after the rest of the party.  We’ll start rolling initiatives next round.

GB: How about you make an attack to retrieve the bow with your spear?  :)  The bow has +0 DB and won’t parry you this round.  You can do it!

Attack declarations and rolls to finish out the remainder of Round 3, gentlemen?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 16, 2018, 06:12:11 AM
Lahwi-Addu

will attack J5. The Amorite was worried that the lycanthropes' disease could be transmitted. (What does he know about that, Enheduanna? I'll postpone my attack pending this information.) Lahwi-Addu also asked, "Murdus, do you know whether these beasts are contagious?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 16, 2018, 12:10:52 PM
Yarlaganda

forces himself to stop chuckling as the werejackals begin to work free of the mud and begin their charge.

"A beast on two legs is still a beast!" he calls to his comrades. "Let us strike them down like the curs they are!"

As the lycanthropes close, Yarlaganda readies himslef behind his shield and roars. When J3 gets in range, he will attack him with his sword.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 16, 2018, 12:28:27 PM
DW: I feel like Demon/Devil Lore or Religion Lore are probably most appropriate, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Of course, you could always ask the astrologer for more information about his original comment, if he’ll tell you.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 16, 2018, 02:36:15 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos will impose his shield between himself and the beast-man, the strike the creature with his sword (Kopis/scimitar).  He reserves 30% for parry.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 16, 2018, 04:05:12 PM
Lahwi-Addu

will try his religion lore. Just for nothing he'll ask the Astrologer, "Friend, do you know whether these beasts are contagious? Have you met them before?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 17, 2018, 05:13:34 AM
The Rest of Round 3
Oh, the ups and downs!

— —

Lahwi-Addu recalls his religious instruction at the Temple of Šamaš.
Roll 66 +40 Skill Bonus = UM 66!
Result: Unusual Event!

The paladin is absolutely certain that he remembers the lesson where he learned that skin-changers such as these were great, holy warriors, blessed by the gods!  But why then are they attacking you?  You become more confused at the astrologer’s response to your question.

“Disease!” he shouts, “It’s a disease, like mešgûm" (OB. “rabies”).

— —

Murdus attempts to retrieve Klumenos’s bow.
Roll -52 + 29 Skill = -23
Result: Absolute Failure.

Murdus almost loses his spear attempting to retrieve the bow.  It slides further down into the ditch, making it more difficult to retrieve.  -20 to your next attempt.

— —

Yarlaganda attacks J3.
Roll 86 +81 Skill -30 to Parry +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -50 DB - 20 Adrenal Defense = 92.
Result: 10 Hits, “A” Crit.
Crit Roll: 53
Result: +2 Hits, foe must parry 1 round at -25 penalty, 1 hits of bleed per round.  Strike to Chest.

Despite the werejackal's deft movements the Gutian deals him a slash across his chest, causing him to stumble.

— —

Klumenos attacks J1.
Roll 191 +114 Skill -30 to Parry +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -7 Move -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 223.
Result: 25 Hits, “E” Crit.
Crit. Roll: 1
Result: +3 Hits.

The Minoan inflicts a mighty blow against the werejackal, but the beast miraculously manages to survive…for now.

— —

Lahwi-Addu attacks J5
Roll 74 +120 OB -60 to Parry +15 Axe +10 Deliberate  -50 DB - 20 Adrenal Defense = 89.
Result: 8 Hits.

As the paladin attempts to strike at the werejackal, he’s fascinated by the way the creature uses his hands and body to deflect his stroke.  It shouldn’t be possible, but the unarmed beast did it, and takes only a minor wound.

— —

Indattu-Inšušinak attempts to spring upon J1.
Ambush Roll 53 + 115 Skill = 168
Result: Absolute Success!  +31 to his Crit.
Attack Roll 86 + 89 OB +15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -50 DB - 20 Adrenal Defense = 130
Result: 12 Hits, “D” Crit.
Crit. Roll: 85 + 31 Bonus = 116.
Result: Your enters the werebeast's brain.

For a moment, it appears that the shifty werejackal is a match for the thief.  But no, with the skill of a practiced assassin, the Elamite springs on his foe and stabs him in the head.  He’s dead.

— —

J5 attempt to sweep (tier I) Lahwi-Addu!
Roll 68 + 66 Skill -33 Movement -60 Foe’s Parry -10 Armor -32 DB = 43
Result: Miss!

The werebeast’s movement isn’t the only thing that’s fascinating about his combat style.  He just attempted to sweep the paladin’s legs out from under him, but failed.

— —

The celestial scorpion tries to catch J3 in his pincers.
Roll 65 + 60 OB -50 DB - 20 Adrenal Defense = 55.
Result: Miss!

The magical scorpion attacks the werebeast Yarlaganda injured, but misses.

— —

Round 3 ends with J1’s death.  Round 4 declarations, initiative rolls, and attacks?

(:wizi:  I suspect DW may know where I got the idea of werebeast monks.)

Edit:  Forgot about the scorpion.  Added him in.

Edit 2:  A note about Adrenal Defense.  The RMSS Martial Arts Companion says that a character has to use 40% of their activity to use Adrenal Defense.  But all of the official material I can find for RMFRP is silent on this issue, and instead appears to say that the skill bonus is applied directly to the character's DB, without them having to spend activity or roll.  This is the way I'm playing it here, that it's automatic and doesn't cost activity.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 17, 2018, 01:57:34 PM
Yarlaganda

will turn and attack J4 with his sword.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 17, 2018, 10:08:16 PM
(  I suspect DW may know where I got the idea of werebeast monks.)

From the dungeon in the Yfelwood, Enheduanna?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 18, 2018, 03:30:51 AM
(  I suspect DW may know where I got the idea of werebeast monks.)

From the dungeon in the Yfelwood, Enheduanna?

Yep!  I think that was before I joined the party, but between them, and the werelion in Shadow in the South, I've always wanted to use lycanthrope monks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 18, 2018, 08:23:13 AM
Yes, they're very cool. There's an adventure by Necromancer Games that uses a weretiger on its cover that might be very nice. It's called Coils of Set.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 18, 2018, 02:27:35 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos will close and attack J3 with his sword.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 18, 2018, 10:13:52 PM
Lahwi-Addu

will try to score a hit on J5.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 19, 2018, 04:46:50 AM
Round 4
Initiative Order
26 Scorpion
23 Lahwi-Addu
21 Klumenos
21 Yarlaganda
17 Indattu-Inšušinak
10 Werejackals


Enemy Declarations
J2 will move into J1’s place and attack Indattu
J3 must parry at -25 this round
J4 will attempt Disarm on Lahwi-Addu
J5 will attempt another sweep
J6 will attempt to change
J7 will move in and attack Klumenos


Snap & Normal Phases
Klumenos moves 5 feet to position himself to strike at J3

J2 still has 3 feet of ditch to clear.  His MM roll is 10+40 = 50; result: 30% movement.  It takes 5% of his round to clear the ditch.  He has to cross the remaining 62 feet during the normal phase, which he will accomplish using another 27% of his round.  His attack this round will suffer a -32 modifier.

J7 moves 55 feet.  This takes 22% of his round, and his attack will suffer a -22 penalty.


Positions at the Beginning of Deliberate

(https://i.imgur.com/Q05D429.jpg)

Just X:  J7 has moved in behind you.  Would you like to attack J7 instead?

Kantron:  I assume J2 is your target?  I don't think this round will go well for him.

GB: :mellow: Still fishing for bows?

Once I have your answers, I'll adjudicate the Deliberate Phase of Round 4.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 19, 2018, 06:28:00 AM
Lahwi-Addu

is facing two foes this round; I'll run the gambit; 25% of parry for each and attack on J5. "I shout to J5 with as much majesty and honesty as possible, "Why are you attacking us?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 19, 2018, 06:56:30 AM
Murdus

Unless he sees a foe close enough to be a threat, he'll fish.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 19, 2018, 03:09:32 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos shouts out, "Yarlagands, are you good with this one before you?  I have another behind me."  He will then pivot and attack J7 for round 4.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 19, 2018, 08:46:14 PM
Klumenos
Klumenos shouts out, "Yarlagands, are you good with this one before you?  I have another behind me."  He will then pivot and attack J7 for round 4.

Yarlaganda

"Aye, I'll handle this one."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 20, 2018, 03:31:18 AM
Deliberate Phase, Round 4
1.  The summoned scorpion attacks J7 to protect Yarlaganda’s flank:
Roll 40 + 60 OB +10 Deliberate -50 DB = 60
Result:  Miss!

2.  Lahwi-Addu attacks J5:
Roll 37 + 60 OBAP* +15 Axe +10 Deliberate - 50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 52
*=Offense Bonus After Parry
Result:  Miss!

3.  Klumenos attacks J7:
Roll 70 + 84 OBAP +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -7 Movement -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 110
Result:  13 Hits + “B” Critical.
Crit. Roll: 13
Result: +3 Hits, you gain Initiative over J7 next round.

4.  Yarlaganda attacks J4:
Roll -82* + 76 + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = -51
Result:  Miss!
*(The fumble range on a Short Sword is 01-02 UM, so I used your “Fumble Roll” as the Low OE Roll)

5.  Indattu attacks J2:
Ambush Roll 68 + 115 Skill = 183
Result: Absolute Success! +31 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 72 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 116
Result: 10 Hits, “B” Critical.
Crit. Roll 83 + 31 = 114
Result: Strike through the eye, instant death.  The thief is on a roll!  +10 to all allies next round.

6.  J2 collapses along side the body of J1, as Indattu wrests his dagger blade from the creature’s eye socket.

7.  J3 must parry this round.

8.  J4 attempts to disarm Lahwi-Addu.
Roll 50 + 57 Skill = 107
Result: Partial Success.
J4 almost, almost succeeds in forcing the paladin’s axe from his hand.  But close isn’t enough, and Lahwi keeps his axe.  J4 will have +10 on his next attempt.

9.  J5 attempts to sweep (or throw) Lahwi-Addu.
Roll 54 + 66 OB +10 Deliberate -30 Foe’s Parry -10 Armor -32 DB = 58
Result: Miss!

10.  J6 Attempts Control Lycanthropy to force change into his were-form:
Roll 56 + 45 Skill +10 Deliberate -50 Daylight = 61
Result:  At last, J6 changes.

11.  J7 attempt to sweep Klumenos
Roll 89 + 66 OB +10 Deliberate -22 Move Penalty -30 Foe’s Parry -10 Armor -32 DB -20 Shield = 51
Result: Miss!

12. Murdus goes “fishing.”
Roll: 20 + 29 Skill -20 Last Failure = -29
Result: Spectacular Failure.  -20 penalty for next two rounds.

Roll: 20 + 29 Skill -20 Last Failure = 29
Result: Failure.

— —
Narrative
The werejackals move in as J6 finally forces his affliction.  The summoned scorpion, Yarlaganda, and Lawhi-Addu fail to score hits, but Klumenos slashes J7.  Indattu-Inšušinak adds another body to his kill count.

The werejackals' attacks are ineffective this round, but J4 almost disarms the paladin.  In response to Lahwi's question, J5 half-shouts, half-growls, "No witnesses!"

— —

In Round 5, J6 will move towards you.  J4 will attempt another disarm, while J7 will step back 5 feet to avoid being flanked by Klumenos and Indattu, and attack Indattu.  J5 will attack Lahwi, and J3 will attack Yarlaganda.

Round 5 Declarations and Rolls?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 20, 2018, 04:25:01 AM
Yarlaganda

attacks J3 with his sword.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 20, 2018, 08:28:11 AM
Murdus

In the stress of the moment, is distracted by a passing imaginary abacus... ;)

----------------------

OOC: Might want to check your addition there.. ;)

I make it 29... still a failure, but just a failure.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 20, 2018, 01:30:14 PM
OOC: Might want to check your addition there.. ;)

I make it 29... still a failure, but just a failure.
:lol:  I feel dumb every time I use a calculator to add simple numbers, but the one time I try to do it myself...

I’ll fix it.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 20, 2018, 01:59:36 PM
I attack the nearest enemy with full OB.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 20, 2018, 03:32:09 PM
Murdus

Looks at his spear, sighs... then says to the Astrologer... "If you can do anything to help.. it'll probably get you in someone's favour.. at the moment we are holding them... but they want you for something, and they seem quite keen to kill everybody, including you dead... so it'll be in your best interests.."

He'll tuck his dagger away, then retrieves the fishing line and hook from his belt.... "The right tool for the right job..." Uses that instead of the spear, which he'll hold in his other hand.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 20, 2018, 04:53:31 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos also steps forward to maintain his position on J7 before striking with his sword.


Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 21, 2018, 12:48:58 AM
Lahwi-Addu

who had heard the conversation between Murdus and the Astrologer, shouted to him, "You better speak up, man, we're not putting our lives on the line for nothing!" (25% parry this round).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 22, 2018, 02:19:17 AM
Round 5
Initiative Order
29 Lahwi-Addu
26 Klumenos
21 Indattu-Inšušinak
20 Yarlaganda
18 Gem scorpion
16 Werejackals
15 Murdus
12 Nur-ilī

Snap and Normal Phases
J6 will begin to move towards the party.  His MM roll is 80+40 = 120; result: 100% movement.  It takes 83% of his round to clear the ditches and soggy ground.  He moves another 41 feet before his round ends.

J7 will step back 5 feet, using 4% of his activity.

Klumenos matches J7, using 7% of his activity.

Deliberate Phase
1.  Lahwi-Addu attacks J5 again:
Roll 92 + 80 OBAP +15 Axe +10 Deliberate - 50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 127
Result:  18 Hits + “D” Critical.
Crit. Roll: 83
Result: Ever wondered what color a werejackal’s spleen is?  Now you know.  You expose his innards.  +10 Hits, 4 rounds Stun, 2 rounds No Parry, 8 hits Bleed, -20 Penalty to Actions.

2.  Klumenos attacks J7:
Roll 49 + 84 OBAP +15 Sword +10 Deliberate +15 Flanking -7 Movement -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 96
Result: 8 Hits, “A” Critical.
Crit. Roll: 17
Result: You catch him under the arm.  +1 Hit, he must Parry 1 Round.

3.  Indattu attempts to ambush J7:
Ambush Roll 79 + 115 Skill = 194
Result: Absolute Success! +31 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 53 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 97
Result: 8 Hits

4.  Yarlaganda attacks J3:
Roll 47 + 76 OBAP + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 78
Result:  8 Hits.

5.  The gem scorpion attacks J3:
Roll 183 + 60 OB +10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 183
Result:  19 Hits, “DK” Critical (Maximum Result for Large Pinchers)
Crit. Roll: 39
Result:  One of the pinchers catches the werejackal’s calf.  +10 Hits, -10 Penalty.

6.  J3’s attack on Yarlaganda:
Roll 56 +66 OB +10 Deliberate -30 Foe’s Parry -10 Armor -30 DB = 62
Result: Miss!

7.  J4 attempts to disarm Lahwi-Addu:
Roll 77 + 57 Skill = 134
Result: Success!
Lahwi-Addu’s RR Roll (L-A’s 10 Ranks in “Axe” v. J4’s 8 Ranks in “Disarm”):  67
Result:  Disarm attempt fails!  J4 takes a “B” Slash Critical!
Crit. Roll: 51
Result: J4 manages to grab Lahwi-Addu’s axe, but the paladin wrests it from him, causing a gash on the werejackal’s chest.  3 Hits, 2 round Parry, 1 Bleed, -5 to Penalty to J4.

8.  J5 is stunned by the paladin’s attack.

9.  J7 must parry this round.

10.  Murdus goes fishing.
Roll 93 + 171 Foraging = 264
Result:  Absolute Success.  You snag the bow easily and pull it up to you.

11.  The astrologer sighs at your exhortations, but despite his nonchalance, he’s clearly relieved when Murdus puts away his dagger.  “All right,” he says, “How about this!” and a spark of light shoots out of his hand and darts towards J3.
Roll 83 + 17 DS Shock Bolt -50 DB -10 Half Adrenal Defense = 40
Result:  Miss!
Nur-ilī shrugs as his shot goes wide.

Positions at the End of Round 5
(https://i.imgur.com/kw5Iifk.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 22, 2018, 05:34:22 AM
Murdus

"That's the spirit... a bit to the left, you almost had him.." he says, putting the retrieved bow on his cart.

--------------------------------

OOC: He'll return to his standard "please don't attack me because I'll have to wave my spear at you futilely" defensive posture.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 22, 2018, 03:07:01 PM
Yarlaganda

flinches as the astrologer’s blast of light goes past his head.

He recoovers and attacks J3 with his sword.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 22, 2018, 06:16:58 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos will strike at J7 again, but will use his full ability.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 22, 2018, 10:25:31 PM
Lahwi-Addu

will strike the Jackal #5 that was stunned last round, with 25% of parry against J4.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 23, 2018, 04:27:30 AM
Round 6
Initiative Order
31 Klumenos
25 Yarlaganda
25 Indattu-Inšušinak
22 Lahwi-Addu
20 Gemsting
17 Murdus
14 Werejackals
10 Nur-ili

Snap Phase
J6 runs 40 feet to attack Klumenos, using 17% of his activity, and consequently suffering a -17 penalty to his attack.

Deliberate Phase
1.  Klumenos attacks J7.
Roll 49 + 114 OB +15 Sword +10 Deliberate +15 Flanking -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 168
Result: 25 Hits, “E” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll: 2
Result: A tap.  +3 Hits.

2.  Yarlaganda attacks J3.
Roll 85 + 76 OBAP + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate -50 DB -10 Adrenal Defense = 126
Result:  17 Hits, “D” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll: 91
Result:  You sever his arm!  +15 Hits, suffers shock.  Collapses and dies in 12 rounds.

3.  Indattu attacks J7.
Ambush Roll 7 + 115 Skill = 122
Result: Success, +26 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 33 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 77
Result: 6 Hits.

4.  Lahwi-Addu attacks J5.
Roll 27 + 90 OBAP +15 Axe +10 Deliberate - 50 DB -0 Adrenal Defense = 92
Result:  9 Hits.

5.  Gemsting would have attacked J3 this round, but knows that he’s no longer a threat to Yarlaganda.  He stands his ground.

6.  J3 is stunned and dying.

7.  J4 attacks Lahwi-Addu with Martial Arts Striking (Tier I).
Roll 55 + 68 OB +10 Deliberate -10 Armor -32 DB -25 Parry = 66
Result: 3 Hits!

8.  J5 is stunned and in pretty bad shape.

9.  J6 attacks Klumenos with Martial Arts Sweeping (Tier I).
Roll 89 + 66 OB +10 Deliberate -17 Move Penalty -10 Armor -32 DB -20 Shield = 86
Result: 2 Hits, “A” Sweeps Critical
Crit. Roll: 88
Result:  Klumenos is swept off his feet.  He suffers no additional hits, but 2 rounds stun, with no parry, and a -20 to his actions for those rounds.

10.  J7 must parry this round.

11.  Nur-ilī sees J6 throw Klumenos to the ground, and casts Voice of Fear on J6.
Roll 38 +18 Spell Rank +10 Deliberate +10 Own Base -45 (Non-instantaneous Penalty) = 55
Result: -5 to J6’s RR
J6’s RR (Needs 55 to Beat): Roll 18 +31 Mentalism RR -5 Basic Spell Attack Result Modifier = 44
Result: The astrologer opens his mouth and chants the following:

Utukku lemnu
duppir ina pānīšu,
nīš šamê lū tamât nīš erṣētim lū tamât
awīlam nakram mār ilīšu lā teṭehhi.
Kīma šamê illil,
kīma erṣētim ibbib,
kīma qereb šamê inawwir.


“Evil demon,
Depart from before him,
Be adjured by heaven, and by earth!
May you not approach this foreign man, the son of his god!
Like the sky, he is pure,
Like the earth, he is clean,
Like the midst of heaven, he shines.”

J6 suddenly looks very fearful of Klumenos.  He will turn and flee next round.

Postions at the End of Round 6
(https://i.imgur.com/frFY380.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 23, 2018, 11:44:53 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos will attempt to move out of the immediate combat area shooting for the open area between Indattu-Insusinak and the scorpion.  As he attempts to move he remembers the berry in his mouth, but decides to wait until next round, as he would still be stunned another round anyhow.





Edit:  typo
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 23, 2018, 12:00:56 PM
Yarlaganda

sees Klumenos fall, and moves 5' towards J7 (the square in front of the scorpion) to cover the Minoan. He'll attack J7 with his sword.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 25, 2018, 02:59:50 AM
So, for Round 7, we have Klumenos and Yarla's declarations.

As far as the werejackals:
- J3 is lying in a pool of his own blood, dazed and slowly dying
- J4 is on his heels and must parry
- J5 is stunned
- J6 is suddenly terrified of Klumenos, and is going to flee the scene at a sprint
- J7 is heavily injured, but seems intent on attempting a martial arts strike on Indattu.

The astrologer is rather satisfied with himself.  He's going to cross his arms and smirk at Murdus smugly.

GB, Kantron, and DW, what are your declarations?  Just to remind you, Barrow has already declared his intent to attack J7.  :rolleyes: Of course, he may miss.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 25, 2018, 05:47:42 AM
OOC:  You forgot the evil GM smirck
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 25, 2018, 07:10:20 AM
Lahwi-Addu

saw with apprehension the attack of the were-jackal on Klumenos but was protected by the ranger. "Carry on Klumenos!" He pressed his attack on J4 that had hit the paladin the round before.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 25, 2018, 07:24:45 AM
Murdus

"Good work... now concentrate on the matter at hand..." he says to the astrologer.

------------------

OOC: He continues to defend/guard the bridge/donkeys/astrologer/himself... full parry, unless one of the Jackals comes within spear stab range in which case that'll be a +0 attack... he's not moving to engage... he'd only get in the way.. ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 26, 2018, 04:40:30 AM
Round 7
Initiative Order
30 Lahwi-Addu
26 Yarlaganda
25 Werejackals
24 Klumenos
17 Indattu-Inšušinak
10 Murdus
10 Nur-ili

Snap Phase
2.  Yarlaganda moves 5’ to attack J7.  This uses 13% of his round, thus a consequent penalty to his attack.
4.  As a result of the astrologer’s spell, Werejackal 6 is suddenly mortally afraid of Klumenos.  He’s going to flee the scene at a sprint.  This is an easy MM.  His roll is 52+40 = 92, result 100% movement rate.  He flees the scene at 360’ per round.  This will carry him off the map.  He’ll move northwest along the edge of the channel until he’s out of sight.
5.  Klumenos retreats 10 feet away.  This doesn’t require a MM.

Deliberate Phase
1.  Lahwi-Addu attacks J4,
Roll 88 + 119 OB +15 Axe +10 Deliberate - 50 DB -15 Adrenal Defense after Penalty = 167
Result:  23 Hits + “E” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll: 86
Result:  You sever his leg.  He collapses, unconscious, and dies in 9 rounds.  +15 Hits, +10 bonus to attack next round — I mean, if you really want to attack the dying creature.

2.  Yaralganda attacks J7.
Roll 59 + 76 OBAP + 15 Sword + 10 Deliberate -13 Movement Penalty -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 77
Result:  8 Hits.

3.  J3 is incapacitated and slowly dying.  He whimpers.

4.  J4 is now unconscious, and dying as well.

5.  J5 is still stunned, and bleeding badly.

6.  J6 is gone.  Long gone!

7.  J7, barely hanging on, attacks Indattu.
Roll 21 + 66 OB +10 Deliberate -10 Armor -19 DB -30 75%+Hits Taken = 38
Result: Miss!

8.  Klumenos catches his breath.

9.  Indattu-Inšušinak attacks J7.
Ambush Roll 59 + 115 Skill = 174
Result: Success, +26 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 22 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 66
Result: Miss!

10.  Murdus watches.

11.  The astrologer shouts after J6, “Coward!  Dog!  Run back to your dead god!”

Postions at the End of Round 7

(https://i.imgur.com/yi2m2ok.jpg)

Two werejackals left standing, in round 8.  J5 is stunned, and a strong wind could fell J7 (of course, it would have to hit him).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 26, 2018, 09:51:13 AM
Wondering if these are somehow related to the previous jackals we defeated, I move in for another attack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 26, 2018, 10:46:34 AM
Lahwi-Addu

the Amorite asked the other members of the company, "Shall we leave one of them living for questioning?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 26, 2018, 11:14:37 AM
Yarlaganda

agrees with Lahwi. He does not press his attack on J7. "You are defeated," he growls. "Yield, and live."

OOC: No attack this round, full parry if attacked.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 26, 2018, 12:01:34 PM
Kluenons


Seeing that the situation seems to be in hand, Kluemons will take another round to shake off the stun, and save his berry.  He looks off in the direction that the terrified jackleware ran, a bit mystified by his sudden change of heart.  Seeing the he ran to the northwest makes him wonder if that direction is home.  Kar Nergal?  Nergal, god of war, death, pestilence and famine--was the cult somehow responsible for the the bazaar battlefield scene we just passed?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 26, 2018, 06:03:13 PM
Lahwi-Addu

gives the Elamite thief a hand in fighting J7 for round #8 (no parry).


Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 26, 2018, 07:38:31 PM
OOC: Is it possible to use my ambush skill to subdue (not kill)?

If yes, then I do.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 28, 2018, 03:11:46 AM
OOC: Is it possible to use my ambush skill to subdue (not kill)?

If yes, then I do.
Sorry for the delay in response.  I don’t think there’s a way to do this in RM, unless you have a skill like Subdual (you don’t).  You could always use less OB in an attempt to limit the damage to him, but it’s random, so you could still kill him, or miss him completely.

With all of that being said, let me know what you want to do.  J3 and J4 are incapacitated and slowly dying.  I guess you could kill J7 and then save the life of one of the dying ones if you wanted someone to question.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 28, 2018, 05:46:58 PM
OOC:  I had always thought the ambush skill was a +/-  While typically you would not modify the crit roll down, it would make sense to me that you could use the same knowledge of anatomy to miss vital areas as easily as to hit them.  Still not subdue but could modify damage downward.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 28, 2018, 07:45:05 PM
OOC: Me too. What I usually do would be to let the player choose a result from the range of crit results which best emulated their intended action.

However, I never allowed using Ambush in Melee against foes that were aware of the attack... so it's a moot point ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 29, 2018, 01:40:38 AM
OOC:  I had always thought the ambush skill was a +/-  While typically you would not modify the crit roll down, it would make sense to me that you could use the same knowledge of anatomy to miss vital areas as easily as to hit them.  Still not subdue but could modify damage downward.
That's an interesting idea!  I hadn't considered it.  Okay, we can try it this way, but I'm serious when I say that J7 doesn't have much life left in him.  I suspect he'll probably be killed from concussion hits this round, if nothing else.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 29, 2018, 02:11:28 AM
Round 8
Initiatives
29 Lahwi-Addu
22 Werejackals
11 Indattu

Snap Phase
Lahwi-Addu moves 10 feet to assist with J7.  This uses 10% of his activity.

Over round 8, the bodies of J1 and J2 slowly revert into their human forms.

Deliberate Phase
Lahwi-Addu attacks J7:
Roll 50 + 119 OB +15 Axe +10 Deliberate -10 Activity - 50 DB -20 Adrenal Defense = 114
Result:  14 Hits + “B” Slash Critical.
Crit. Roll: 56
Result: Thigh wound.  +4 Hits, must Parry 2 rounds, 2 points Bleed.
Death from concussion hits.

J3 is out of the fight.  He will be dead in 9 rounds.

J4 is also down.  He will be dead in 7 rounds.

J5 is stunned, and bleeding badly.  He voluntarily reverts to human form, and kneels down on the ground, clutching his wound.  You might be able to save him, if you successfully stop his bleeding next round.

J6 has passed behind several low hills, and beyond your sight.

J7 is dead.

The rest of you have no one left to attack.

Positions at the End of Round 8
(https://i.imgur.com/FOMW1Ye.jpg)

I’m going to end combat here.  If you want to save J5, you better act quickly.  For now, the disheveled, bleeding man doesn’t speak, but looks at his dead and dying comrades.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 29, 2018, 03:30:58 AM
Yarlaganda

shrugs as Lahwi slaughters the werejackal who looked like he was about to surrender. Ah well. You should have yielded. He nods to Lahwi. "Well struck," he says.

He turns to offer Klumenos a hand up. "Well fought, friend. I would leave that cursed bow in the ditch," he laughs, "you fight well enough with a blade."

When he sees Indattu, he'll thump the Elamite heartily on the back. "I am glad you are on our side. You've racked up quite the body count."

He'll wipe his sword and start searching the dead and dying werejackals. He'll leave J5 in the hands of someone more skilled at the healing arts.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 29, 2018, 06:36:39 AM
Murdus

Will move to attempt to heal the wounded.. whatever it is.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 29, 2018, 09:03:45 AM
Lahwi-Addu

got close to one of the dying were jackals and asked, "Why did you want to kill the Astrologer? What is he to you?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 29, 2018, 12:05:20 PM
Klumenos


As the last of the stun passes Klumenos, looks after the one who fled and says, "Do you think that the one that got away will mean more will follow?"
He then turns his attention to the scene before him.  He turns to the Astrologer and says, "Thank you for your assistance."  he extends his hand in friendship.  The asks, "Why do they want you?  And how are you the Namzāq namzītim?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on August 30, 2018, 04:34:24 AM
Yarlaganda searches the bodies of the werejackals.  J3 and J4 retain their wereforms while they die.  Neither one moves to stop him, they are too gravely injured.  The body of J7 joins J1 and J2 in reverting back to human form.

Assuming the Gutian takes his time searching the bodies and dying creatures, he finds the following:

J1: In a pocket sewn in his dirty robes, the Gutian finds a leather pouch with a stitched Ω symbol.  Inside is 5 SP worth of silver and two doses of nēhtum.

J2:  There is no pocket in J2’s robes, but his leather belt looks new and has a number of pouches.  There is a total of 15 SP worth of silver in them, and a small diorite figurine with monstrous aspects.  There is also a tablet with writing on it.  He also has two doses of nēhtum and a curious bluish-purple stone.

J3:  The dying werejackal has a small bag with him.  Inside, you find a well-worn Game of Twenty Squares (a.k.a. “The Royal Game of Ur”).  This werejackal has no money, and two doses of nēhtum in a smaller bag.

(https://i.imgur.com/MbrJHXc.jpg)

J4:  This dying werejackal has a necklace around his neck with the Ω symbol on it.  The Gutian feels the hair on his arm rise when he removes it from the creature.  The werejackal also has 6 SP worth of silver in a pocket of his robes, a small diorite figurine that resembles the one you found on J1, and two doses of nēhtum

J7:  Carries a large pouch, whence a pungent odor emanates.  Inside, you find a small silver orb (3” in diameter), several little clay jars, and a handful of herbs, including several sprigs of nēhtum.

— —

Murdus has partial success at staunching J5’s bleeding.  He will need to work another two rounds to stop the flow entirely, but the beast will live for the time being, so long as he stays still.

— —

In response to Lahwi-Addu’s question, J5 laughs.  “He’s a thief, that’s what he is” he says in his strange accent.  “You are better to kill him now, for while you may escape us, even in death, he cannot.  The curse he placed on my novice brother [J6] will wear off eventually.  Then my brother will return to our den, and my family will not rest until they’ve recovered the property of our god.”

J5 allows Murdus to continue his work.

— —

The astrologer is looking towards the direction that J6 fled.

Distracted, he responds to Klumenos.  “I am not the namzāq namzītim,” he says, then after a moment he adds, “But we should find it and get out of here quickly.  The creature may run into other search parties.  I’ve seen the priests who govern them — in my visions.  I would not like to meet them, or their pets.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on August 30, 2018, 06:58:15 AM
I help dig through the jackals for anything useful/ informative.  After were done with that, I suggest that we build a fire to destroy the bodies.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on August 30, 2018, 10:43:01 AM
Lahwi-Addu

The Amnorite's voice got more quiet when he knew that piece of information, and he pressed on, "He stole property from your god; what property and what is his rank in your cult?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on August 30, 2018, 02:40:33 PM
I help dig through the jackals for anything useful/ informative.  After were done with that, I suggest that we build a fire to destroy the bodies.

Yarlaganda

“These bodies are not for burning, my friend. They are for our guardian.” He gestures at the giant scorpion.

He’ll make a pile of all the loot he found. He hands the tablet (from J2) and the pouch of herbs (J7) to Murdus. Then he says to the others: “Come make your claims to the loot.”

He’ll drag the dead to the ditch and throw them in... the almost dead, too. The only bodies he leaves are the ones his gellows are healing or questioning.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on August 31, 2018, 03:38:23 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos, begins to get used to the distracted nature of the youth, and continues his questioning, "if you are not the key, where is it?  I assume that you id it nearby."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 01, 2018, 03:14:06 AM
With the mid-day sun glinting off of its carapace, the scorpion barely moves.  It watches Yarlaganda and Indattu-Inšušinak with its tiny eyes as they deal with the bodies of the werejackals.  When the Gutian begins to throw them into the ditch, the creature catches his eye.  There’s a plaintive look there, almost as if to say, “May I be dismissed now?”

— —

The werejackal’s leader laughs at Lahwi-Addu’s question.  “He is not one of us — but nor do I think he is one of you.  He is a thief,” he hisses the word, “He desecrated our sacred places, and took the namzāq namzītim.  The battlefield you crossed, ask him how those men died.”

— —

In response to the Minoan’s question, the astrologer smiles.  “Yes, I think I would like your help with this, if you’ll give it.  You’re mostly foreigners anyway, what do you care about the squabbles of petty kings?”

— —

OOC:  I'm assuming that the two conversations (1. Lahwi-Addu and the werejackal leader; 2. Klumenos and Nur-ili) are happening at the same time in such a way that they can't overhear one another.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 01, 2018, 07:02:09 AM
Yarlaganda

Erases a hole in the circle in the sand to free the scorpion. Thank you for your trouble. he says, freeing it to go.

“Let’s make camp far from here,” he advises. “This beast will not recognize us as friends at nightfall.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 01, 2018, 01:23:39 PM
Lahwi-Addu

Do I know what the namzāq namzītim is, Enheduanna?

"The battlefield, was that carnage caused by you or him?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 01, 2018, 06:24:56 PM
Klumenos


"I am not opposed to helping, but I can not speak for those I barely know," says Klumenos. "This namzāq namzītim, do you think it close?  If it is not far I might be able to convince the others it is worth the detour?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 02, 2018, 05:45:49 AM
The scorpion hesitates for a moment, then skitters off around the bridge and into the shadows beneath it.  It disappears under the bridge, but only after it pulls the bodies of the two dying werejackals into the shadows.  It seems strange to the Gutian, that the giant scorpion and the bodies of two grown men could be concealed under that bridge, but try as he might, he can see no sign of them afterwards.

— —

The werejackal croaks.  “He opened Namzīt Bēlim Gitmālim ša Emūqam Rašub (“The Tub of the Perfect Lord Whose Power Is Terrifying”) and released the god’s holy breath.”  The shabby man smiles, “He wasn’t prepared for the result, I think.”

OOC:  DW, you could roll History Lore at -50 (Sheer Folly) or Religion Lore at -30 (Ex. Hard) given the obscurity of this knowledge.

— —

To Klumenos, Nur-ili replies, “Oh, very close.”  The astrologer nods his head towards the bridge, but his eyes are watching the last remaining werejackal.  “We would do well to hide it from him,” he whispers to the Minoan.  “My king would compensate you [he uses the singular form, implying Klumenos only] handsomely, should we deliver the key and the weapon it unlocks to him.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 02, 2018, 06:53:32 AM
Murdus

Finishes binding the wounded human/jackals wounds. Then binds him securely.

He'll no doubt over hear something of what is being said... and will try and make sense of what he overhears....

-----------------------

OOC: I'll assume I'm in a position roughly central to the two conversations... ;)

I'll make these rolls... in the correct thread
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 02, 2018, 01:48:08 PM
Klumenos


"And which king is it, that you are working for?" asks Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 02, 2018, 10:03:12 PM
Lahwi-Addu listens to the lycanthrope’s words, and clearly remembers an evening during his religious schooling, when a group of boys with whom he trained gathered around a fire to listen to the tales of the old, blind priest who was charged with their religious instruction.

Quote from: Lahwi-Addu's Teacher
Many years ago, before the flood, the Lord of the Underworld, Nergal unleashed his Seven Champion Gods (OB. Ilū Sebetti) into the land.  The people cried out to Marduk, but even that greatest of gods was afraid of their combined might, and he abandoned the land.

The people starved and died, the righteous and the unrighteous alike lay dead and unburied.  Enemies invaded the land, and the canals and fields lay fallow.  It was then that Nergal’s advisor, the calm and noble Išum, begged him to recall his gods, and give men a reprieve.

Long into the night did Išum debate with his lord Nergal, but the Lord of the Underworld steadfastly refused to corral his demons.  As morning dawned, clever Išum spoke to his lord thus, “So be it, my lord.  The Seven will control the lands, and they will reign as kings.  Foreigners will worship them as the mighty gods they are.”

Nergal said nothing, but this statement troubled him.  The next evening, he spoke to Išum again, “Do you not think men will worship me as greatest of all gods, now that I have defeated Marduk, and now that I control all the lands?”

“My lord,” the wise Išum answered after a moment, “Men know who have defeated them, and who control their lands.  It is your Seven Champions, whom you have released.”

“But it is I who have released them, is it not?  I who control them?”

The advisor bowed his head, and then answered, “No, most terrible lord, I am afraid no one controls them.  They are like rampaging lions, who wander across the steppe.  No man tells them whom to kill and devour, or whither to spread their terror.”

And with that, Lord Nergal became exceedingly angry, so that only his calm advisor Išum was not driven mad by his presence.  Then Lord Nergal inhaled, taking in all of his malice and ire in that moment, which surrounded around him like a mighty storm cloud.  Then he exhaled, and gave his divine breath to Išum. “Recall the Seven Gods to me, Išum,” he commanded the advisor, “And use this if they will not come.”

Išum wasted no time in securing the Seven Gods, who did not come willingly.  Once they were all returned to the underworld, the clever advisor had a great silver vessel made, and placed the god’s breath into it.  He gave this vessel to the priests, along with a key which would open it.  “Use this,” he said, “Should my lord ever again cede dominion to his Seven Champions.”

— —

The astrologer smiles, and says, “When we met you, I think you were coming from the north?”  Klumenos knows that the northern banks of the Tigris River are controlled by forces loyal to the king of Ešnunna.

Murdus overhears all of this.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 03, 2018, 04:56:25 AM
Yarlaganda

shudders as the scorpion disappears under the bridge. Still, he says the prayer of gratitude to the desert, for sending such a fearsome protector.

While the wise ones interrogate the prisoner, the Gutian summons Gamesh and climbs aboard. He’ll cautiously probe the village, looking around for signs of any more surprises... but he won’t go into any buildings yet.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 03, 2018, 01:00:19 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos states, "It is true I was departing the kingdom of Esnunna. But that does not answer my question about your loyalty or at least employment."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 03, 2018, 04:01:16 PM
Lahwi-Addu

So you're saying he stole the Namzīt Bēlim Gitmālim ša Emūqam Rašub from your temple? For whom does he work and does he still keep it? And why would he want tot return to the scene of the crime?

The Amorite asked Murdus if he could help this werejackal from dying.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 03, 2018, 07:25:32 PM
OOC: I thought he was... oh well... rushes over... tries his best. :)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on September 04, 2018, 01:10:11 AM
I, as casually as possible, look around for anything suspicious [observation skill].
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 05, 2018, 04:29:41 AM
OOC: I thought he was... oh well... rushes over... tries his best. :)
OOC:  No, no.  There's only one werejackal left, and he's the one you're tending.  Murdus is working on him while Lahwi talks to him.  Klumenos and the astrologer are roughly 15 feet away.

— —

The werejackal responds to Lahwi-Addu.  “Not our temple, it was taken from the ruins of our sacred city.  Those armies out there,” he says, indicating the battlefield, “The thief led a group of soldiers from one of them — the Marduk worshipers [i.e., Babylon] — to the site of it, and they took the Vessel of the Lord (OB. Namzīt Bēlim).  My brothers and I followed them, and we observed what happened next.

“A second army — from the north [i.e., Ešnunna] — hostile to the first, crossed the river from the east, and attempted to cut them off.  The thief’s group was trying to return with the Vessel to the main force of their army.  And it seemed at first as if they would accomplish this, as the larger force of the second army was slow moving.

That’s when the thief opened the Vessel.  When he did so, the Divine Madness seized the group he was with, and they turned and fought the second army, who slaughtered them.  The thief then fled, leaving the Vessel open, and the Madness spread to the second army, who then in their fury and rage went rampaging south, and ran into the rest of the first army.  The results are as you see before you.

“We have the Vessel now, and are grateful for its rediscovery.  But we cannot close it again without the key…”

OOC:  The tl;dr of it all is this:
- 1) The Babylonian army sends a small division with the astrologer to capture the Vessel.
- 2) An Ešnunnan army shows up, and tries to capture this small group of Babylonians.
- 3) As the small group of Babylonians is escaping the Ešnunnan trap, the astrologer opens the Vessel.
- 4) The small group of Babylonian soldiers are annihilated, but the Ešnunnan army is afflicted by the Vessel.
- 5) They run into the rest of the Babylonian army (who is waiting for the small group to return) and the two armies destroy one another.
- 6) The werejackals take back the Vessel, but can’t find the key.

— —

The astrologer smiles.  “Oh, if it’s employment, I was paid by that wretched upstart, the King of Babylon.  But my loyalties lie elsewhere, even if my kinsman are too slow and stupid to follow directions properly.  I can retrieve the key and lead us back to the Vessel easily enough, and together, we can give it to the future ruler of all these lands — Ešnunna.”

— —

On Gamesh, Yarlaganda starts off towards the group of houses whence the werejackals came.  Just as he gets to the soggy field areas, he sights movement from one of the houses.

Observing the scene from behind Yarlaganda, Indattu-Inšušinak sees the same thing.  A man stumbles out of the door of the middle house, and begins to make his way towards the party in a clumsy fashion.  It's clear the man has been restrained.  His hands are tied behind his back, and he has a gag wedged in his mouth.  He has a foreign look, and seems in distress.

OOC:  Gentlemen, at long last, WaitingCynicism joins the fray, bringing us, once again, to six players.  Welcome aboard!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: WaitingCynicism on September 06, 2018, 12:16:01 AM
A young man, dark of skin and hair, tried to run out of the building he was contained in. "Help!" He calls out as best he can, being muffled.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 06, 2018, 03:37:10 AM
Yarlaganda

Seeing that the young man is truly bound and not up to some trickery, waves for the man to approach slowly. When he’s close enough, he’ll stoop to untie the gag, but he’ll leave the man’s hands tied.

He’ll lead the man back to the group. “Look what more loot I found, brothers,” he calls loudly, indicating tne yound man,  with a chuckle. “Shall we split this five ways?” He laughs too loudly at his own wit.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 07, 2018, 01:05:13 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos takes to opportunity to disengage from the astrologer and join with the rest of the party.  He says, "We have much to discuss.  The astrologer has finally opened up a bit and has a proposal for us."  As he sees the new comer he says, "What have we here?"

Klumenos will also take a good opportunity to thank Murdus for retrieving his bow.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on September 08, 2018, 05:46:07 AM
PONDERING TO MYSELF:
Bound and gaged?  He may know much… and whomever bound and gaged him may desire much.

OUT LOUD
Run into a bit of bad luck, eh?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 13, 2018, 03:00:48 AM
All right, moving on...

What would you like to do?  You still have the tablets to deliver, and you can interrogate Nur-ili or the werejackal some more.  There’s also the several houses to search, if you’re interested.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 13, 2018, 06:54:16 AM
Murdus

"Well, isn't this just one big mess..." he ponders, glancing at the astrologer, Jackal and recently escaped man...

"I seem to remember there was a reason to come here... to, urmm.. Birsum. Ah yes, Birsum " he says wandering into a position where he can observe all three, to gauge their reactions, if any. Though he's not to worried about the Were-Jackal..  more of the other two.

"But for the life of me I can't remember what it is..." ... he then stops. "So you both seem to  come from the same village, perhaps you'd know each other... and might be expecting either us or something?"

========================

Looking for visible reactions from the pair.
 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 13, 2018, 02:53:39 PM
Lahwi-Addu

The Amorite will ask the man they found prisoner from where he hails; and if he knows a man who goes by the name of Nūr-ilī in Birsun.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 13, 2018, 03:34:06 PM
Murdus

"Well, isn't this just one big mess..." he ponders, glancing at the astrologer, Jackal and recently escaped man...

"I seem to remember there was a reason to come here... to, urmm.. Birsum. Ah yes, Birsum " he says wandering into a position where he can observe all three, to gauge their reactions, if any. Though he's not to worried about the Were-Jackal..  more of the other two.

"But for the life of me I can't remember what it is..." ... he then stops. "So you both seem to  come from the same village, perhaps you'd know each other... and might be expecting either us or something?"

========================

Looking for visible reactions from the pair.

Yarlaganda

"Wise One," the Gutian says patiently. "We were to deliver these tablets," he indicates the pack where they are held, "to a man named Nūr-ilī," indicating the astrologer, "who was to meet us by a bridge... in Birsum..." Here, he indicates the ground that they are standing upon. "Then we return to Babylon, and get our pay."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 13, 2018, 04:33:09 PM
Murdus

Sighs.

Thinks to himself... "Well, if that man isn't Nur-ill, just pretending and didn't know about the tablet.. Well, he does now"


=======================


OOC: *Face-Palm* ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 13, 2018, 07:30:41 PM
OOC: LOL, sorry. Yarlaganda isn't the  cleverest of people... and I suppose Barrow isn't either!  O0  :lol:
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 14, 2018, 02:11:42 AM
Klumenos

I think I like this group thinks Klumenos, a wise man who play the fool and a warrior who lets his sword do his thinking, an assassin who lacks all social graces save for a swift death, and an Amornite who has the good sense to speak little and listen much.


Klumenos speaks when the party is out of ear shot of the jackleware and the astrologer.  "The one called Nur-ili fears that the fleeing jackleware will return shortly with more and potentially more powerful "friends".  Apparently the Tub is under the bridge and the Key is not far away.  They from a potent weapon of some sort.  While Nur-ili was in the employ of the King of Babylon, his loyalty seems to lie with Esunna."  After a breath he continues, "I share his fears about more of the shape-shifters coming soon.  He claims them to be search parties looking for the Namzaq Namzitim, which makes much sense." Then almost as an afterthought he adds, "Do we know how this one indicating the new arrival ended up a prisoner and who was holding him?"



Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 14, 2018, 11:21:48 PM
The astrologer overheard Yarlaganda's comment.  He calls out from where he stands, "Oh, you have mail for me?  Probably old news now," he says with a shrug.  He starts to walk towards the middle of the three outlying houses, and ignores the prisoner.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 15, 2018, 11:41:57 AM
Murdus

Roots around in his satchel, retrieves the tablet...

"Well, you just as well read it... and since whatever you've done concerns our safety... tell it what it says..." he says with a smile.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 16, 2018, 07:58:20 PM
Yarlaganda

Hearing Klumenos say that the Tub was under the bridge, he remembers how the giant scorpion seemed to disappear unnaturally with the carcasses, into the shadows. He steps back to the edge of the ditch and peers beneath the bridge carefully.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 17, 2018, 06:10:09 AM
The astrologer takes the two tablets from Murdus.  He glances at the text on the envelopes only briefly, then smiling, he tears the layer of clay off of both of them to reveal the text underneath.

After reading both of them, he says to Murdus, “Well, a lot of good these did me.  Just a warning about the Babylonian army moving north to intercept me," he says raising one of the tablets, "That's already happened."  He raises the other tablet, "And a warning not to open the Tub, which I already did as well.  Did the eunuch give these to you?  It must’ve taken him a while to find couriers.”

He keeps the second tablet, but throws the first one he held up on the ground.

— —

Yarlaganda looks into the deep shadows underneath the bridge.  The hair on the back of his neck prickles.  In broad daylight, it seems strange to him that the darkness could be so deep there.

The astrologer notices him.  "Hey, Gutian!" he shouts, "Though your might may rival that of any living man, I think you might want some help before you venture into an antechamber of the underworld."

— —

The astrologer continues to walk towards the middle house.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 17, 2018, 10:59:31 AM
Lahwi-Addu

tried his religion lore to fathom what was the darkness below the bridge about.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 17, 2018, 03:50:14 PM
Yarlaganda

At the astrologer’s warning, the Gutian bolts upright with a guilty look on his face, as if he’d been caught looking at something he shouldn’t. He says nothing, but wheels Gamesh around to follow the astrologer towards the middle house.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 18, 2018, 01:30:36 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos takes the opportunity to pull Murdus aside and ask, "What did the dog-man have to say?  From what he said the tablet said, I suspect that he was double crossing the Babylonian King and planned to hand over the tub/weapon to Esuuna.  I suspect that is why he shattered to tablet; or he lied and broke it so we will never know.  I do not trust him, but think we need to play along to gain control of the weapon--he seems incredibly reckless."  After his discussion with Murdus (including his response) Klumenos assumes a position near the jackleware and stands guard, "What will we do with this one?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 18, 2018, 03:38:15 AM
The preternatural darkness, coupled with the astrologer's comment about the underworld, jogs Lahwi-Addu's memory.

The paladin knows that somewhere deep beneath the earth lies the Apsû (Sum. Abzu), a primeval source of freshwater, that modern people tap into when they sink wells or that bubbles up in oasis springs.

Below the Apsû, and at times overlapping it, is the underworld, a place which goes by many names in Sumerian and Akkadian religious literature, "Kigal" and "Kur" among them.  This is a shadowy, depressing place where the souls of the dead pass eternity in a grim mockery of their life.

It is also a dangerous place for living men; demons and strange, ancient monsters have bred and flourished there since before the Deluge.

The paladin has also heard tales of entrances to portions of the underworld, ones that often bypass the Apsû and take mortals into the strange realm.  Often these entrances are in out-of-the-way regions, that are difficult to access.  If an entrance to a part of the underworld lies under the bridge, it would be of great religious significance, despite its danger to the surrounding communities.

-- --

Just X: Nur-ili only destroyed the clay envelopes; this was necessary to read the tablets beneath.  The tablet he threw down was rather compact and sturdy, and did not break.  Anyone (who could read Akkadian) could pick it up and read it.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 18, 2018, 06:55:00 PM
Klumenos


As Kluemos watches the astrologer head for the middle house, he ambles over to where the tablet was dropped.  He picks it up and uses his skill in Akkadian to read the message.  (OOC: more accurately tries to read it)


Rolled 1d100+37 : 76 + 37, total 113
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 18, 2018, 06:55:35 PM
OOC:  Hallelujah or the Mesopotamian equivalent!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 18, 2018, 07:56:00 PM
Murdus

Seems content that the astrologer was telling the truth, at least in the events. as to his purpose.. he shrugs.

When the astrologer throws the tablet to the ground, he also seems content to let the newcomer pick it up... but does frown slightly at the impetuous of youth.

"If you don't mind... just picking that up for.....me." he says, rather belatedly.

"Ah you've done it already... good... good. I see you have greater trust in your abilities to ward off the curses that are sometimes placed on messages... Still...l We shall see, we shall see..." he smiles and edges away...

He then wanders over to have a look to see where the astrologer has gone. 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 19, 2018, 04:26:40 AM
Klumenos reads the following:

Quote
Siwe-Palar-Huppak says thus to Hammu-rapi: I have read the report of your messenger.  Do not trust the men who are now digging in Kār-Nergal.  Quickly, send your army to seize the Tub.  Take the man who led you to it and hold him for questioning.  He is a traitor.  I have sent this tablet with my important men, Luhišan and Pilir-Šazi.  Give them your response and they will send it to me.  My army is currently in Awan, and will set out for Kār-Nergal with Kudu-zuluš, the sukkal (viceroy) of Susa on the 6th day of Ayyarum.

You know that Siwe-Palar-Huppak is the great king of Elam.  The 6th day of Ayyarum is today.  Awan is relatively far away though, at least 450 kilometers (about 280 miles).

— —

The astrologer walks into the middle house with the air of someone who not only knows where he’s going, but has some kind of ownership over the property.

If Murdus follows him inside, he sees that the place has been ransacked.  A foreign-looking sword, short bow, quiver, and shield, are placed in a corner.  A donkey has been tied up there, and it seems loaded up with provisions.  (OOC: These are WaitingCynicism’s items, which the werejackals seized when they captured him).

The astrologer ignores the donkey and these items, and finds a jug of water, which he pours into a basin.  He quickly washes his face and hands.  He’ll retrieve a bright blue linen garment from a busted chest, and wrap it about himself.  The garment looks of high quality.
 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 20, 2018, 03:06:30 AM
Kumenos

Upon reading the tablet, Kumenos thinks, so like Elam to meddle in the affairs of others.  I guess the upstart Hammu-rapi, figured he needed help if he was to stand up to Ibal-pi-El, he was going to need help!  Given the distance from Awan, I suspect that we have 5 days at a minimum, more likely 7 days, before they get here.  Ibal-pi-Elmust be very concerned about the Tub to send the sukkal of Susa; it must indeed be a powerful weapon.  Given what we have seen I have little doubt and if Babylon, Elam and Esnunna all know of its existence, others are sure to as well!  5 days may be an overestimate of how long we have until company arrives.

Klumenos turns his attention to the man-beast on the ground before him.  "So your cult have been the keepers of the Namzāq namzītim for how long?  How is it you let some upstart astrologer steal it from right under your noses--and given your canine tendencies that is saying something?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 20, 2018, 03:13:32 PM
Yarlaganda

will follow the astrologer and Murdus towards the middle house. When he sees there is no danger in the middle house, he’ll dismount and inspect the house to the left.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 23, 2018, 03:25:50 AM
The defeated werejackal looks, for a moment, somehow more defeated.  After a pause he answers Klumenos, in his strange dialect, “The existence of such things are not normally taught to novices or lay-folk.  I think the learned among us suspected it was buried somewhere in our city. The rest of us knew nothing about it.  Only the astrologer could find it, led by his damnable stars.  But make no mistake, foreigner, it is ours, to keep for the god — the one whom your friends name Nergal, but we call Meslamtaea.”

— —

Before he ever crosses the threshold into the other house, Yarlaganda’s sense of smell gives him a forewarning. The house has been ransacked as well, but here, the Gutian finds the remains of three adults and a child.  There wounds are consistent with those he observed on the soldiers of the nearby battlefield.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on September 23, 2018, 07:54:06 AM
I move around making a perception roll.  Anything of interest?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 23, 2018, 11:37:58 AM
Klumenos


"So the astrologer was employed by your priests?", asks Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 23, 2018, 07:01:12 PM
Yarlaganda

feels anger rising in his chest at the sight of the mauled child. He will leave the house, and the dead, in peace, and inspect the next house in line, epxpecting to see more of the same.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 24, 2018, 03:59:01 AM
The werejackal replies to Klumenos.  “No.  We did not know they were there until after they began to move the tub.”  He seems to grow reticent, “The city, Kār-Nergal, is large and the god’s followers cannot watch all of it, always.”

— —

Kantron, I'll assume that you and Barrow take your time searching, so I won't require a roll.  There's nothing out of the ordinary.

— —

Since they’re both mundane houses (no secret doors or the like), I assume Yarlaganda takes his time.

House 1:  You find a small pantry in the first house, from which you can salvage a small store of dates, and a large container of lentils.  There is unleavened bread here as well, enough to share between six people for one meal.  One of the residents of the house must have baked it before they died.  Most of the rest of the home’s modest contents was damaged or destroyed by the ransacking werejackals.

You also find a two jugs each containing a full seah (OB. sūtum) of low-quality beer.  (1 seah = 10 liters, or 2.64 gallons).

House 2:  In the second house, you find four bodies, all adults of various ages.  Outside, you find the bodies of two dead goats, and a dead cow.  These people appear to have been leather-workers.  While there’s no armor here, you find a good quantity of raw leather, as well as a completed riding saddle worth 150 SP, and four bridles of various sizes worth 15SP each.  The food in this home is all either spoiled or scattered about by the searching werejackals.

You also find three silver ingots worth a total of 100 SP (the leatherworker’s life-savings) in the ruins of the sleeping room. The werejackals found these, apparently, and tossed them aside.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 24, 2018, 10:04:38 PM
Yarlaganda

indeed takes his time searching, but his mind is on the mutilated child. He seethes inwardly, but outwardly helps Indattu collect the loot into a little pile for distribution to the party.

He occasionally glares at the surviving werejackal. Someone should pay for that child’s life, he fumes.

And the lives of the mutilated beasts, Gamesh agrees vehemently.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 24, 2018, 11:59:25 PM
Klumenos

"So he led a party into the City, exhumed your relic, and then fled the scene?  Your brothers gave chase, but the Northern King's army intercepted the thieves before you could get to them?  Then the fool activated the namzāq namzītim, right?  So did the tub effect both the armies over the next hill (indicating the rise behind them) and this area as well?  Just how far reaching are the effects of the tub?", asks Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 25, 2018, 12:42:24 AM
OOC:  Apparently, my age is given away by my over sized font use!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 25, 2018, 04:09:45 AM
“You have the truth of it, foreigner,” the werejackal growls.  “As to the range of the god’s curse, I suspect it depends on the wind.  It is potent,” he says smiling, “as I think you’ve seen.” He licks his lips, “Perhaps a šar?”

[A šar is a Sumerian area measure, 3.888 square kilometers (so 388.8 hectares), or 1.5 square miles]

“Do not worry though, foreigner,” he continues addressing Klumenos, “My brethren have taken the Tub back to the place you call Kār-Nergal, though we cannot close it without the key.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 25, 2018, 05:25:38 PM
Klumenos


"And the thief has the key?", asks Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 26, 2018, 03:00:00 AM
“Precisely, foreigner,” the werejackal responds.

— —

The sun is starting to set. (OOC: Moving on...)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 26, 2018, 12:01:09 PM
Yarlaganda

After loading the loot onto the pack animals, he goes to where Klumenos is questioning the werejackal. He can bear the smug creature’s smiles and sneers no longer.

He grabs the werejackal by the back of the neck. “My friend,” he says calmly to Klumenos, “Are you finished questioning this... abomination? If so, it is time for him to answer for his wickedness.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 26, 2018, 12:25:06 PM
Klumenos


Smiles at the beastman and says, "Yes I am finished."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 26, 2018, 07:59:17 PM
Lahwi-Addu

"So, from what the werejackal said the astrologer has the key," said the Amorite. "We should check this out before we put the werejackal to death."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 26, 2018, 11:42:46 PM
Yarlaganda

nods in reluctant agreement at Lahwi’s suggestion. He lifts the werejackal to his feet and takes him to the edge of the ditch, holding his bound arms behind his back.  “Tell me when I can dispose of him,” he calls to Lahwi.

He then whispers in the werejackal’s ear. “Did you enjoy killing children? I hope it was worth what awaits you.” He directs the lycanthrope’s head towards the darkness under the bridge. “Can you feel it? The hunger coming from that other world? It will embrace you ere long,” he hisses.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on September 27, 2018, 01:16:03 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos huddles with Murdus, "From what I have learned, the man-beast says his brother's have returned the tub to their city.  And the astrologer says the tub is under the bridge.  The jackle says the thief has the key/stopper but the thief says it is near by but doesn't know where.  Does any of this equate to what you heard?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 27, 2018, 05:15:58 AM
Lahwi-Addu

"Hold him a bit longer, Yarlaganda, until you throw him to the tub," said the paladin. "Wouldn't it be prudent to put the astrologer to interrogation too and confront him with what the jackal said?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 27, 2018, 09:19:47 AM
Murdus

In a slightly addled state... "Hmmm..?"  He's poked around the corpses.. using his spear haft.

"What makes you think the he..." indicating the were-jackal... "or his brothers were responsible for this atrocity?"

He ponders a while more.. "It seems to me that the effects of this tub were to blame for the crazed savageness of the battle-site around us... and these poor creatures.." he says indicating the dead children... "were simply sucked into the thoughtless carnage of it's effects."

He looks around to ensure that he cannot be overheard by either the astrologer or the were-jackal..

"My thoughts are this.... it is the Astrologer's actions that are to blame for this, although, perhaps inadvertently... after all he opened this tub... and these creatures were simply attempting to recover the missing element that might prevent this tragedy again...".

Another pause for ponder.

"My feeling are this... we need the Astrologer for his knowledge of the key ... but we also need the jackal... to certify that our involvement here was only as hapless travellers that just happened to blunder into a situation that was not our doing, not as active participants in whatever plans the Astrologer and his masters have.. For that purpose, killing him would not serve our cause. He has been open, more so I think than the astrologer, in this matter. Let him go, but with the knowledge that we seek the same aim.... to close the tub. I care not that they retrieve both the tub and the key...."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 27, 2018, 10:18:15 PM
Yarlaganda

cannot believe what he is hearing. “He- it- this... thing? This abomination is to be allowed to live?” he asks.

He normally trusts the Wise One implicitly, but this is beyond his Gutian understanding. He considers pushing the werejackal into the ditch regardless... he even gently urges his captive, slightly closer to the edge.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 28, 2018, 03:06:02 AM
The werejackal's only reply to Yaralganda is a savage grin.  When the Guitan turns to speak to Murdus, he licks his lips.

-- --

The astrologer meanwhile has pulled together the remains of several blankets and laid down on a read mat.

It's about 4:30 PM.  Sunset will occur in about two hours.

-- --

OOC:  You could salvage rope (to restrain the astrologer, or better restrain the were jackal) from the several houses, and many other household items besides.  If you're looking for anything specific, Observation would be appropriate.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 28, 2018, 07:17:24 AM
Lahwi-Addu

went looking for rope for both the werejackal and the astrologer.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 28, 2018, 07:42:29 AM
Murdus

"It would serve no purpose to keep the were-beast captive... my thoughts are that he be released now to inform what remains of his brothers and his allies that our motives are much the same as theirs....to close it. For this tub... if left open will only lead to further senseless slaughter.. it seems he and his masters intentions were not to use it... regardless of our loyalties on this matter this weapon should either be closed or destroyed... though currently we do not have the means to do either... which is why we need to keep the astrologer close and alive..."

He pauses and sadly looks towards the were-beast.

"For the purposes of expediency... if you feel that this is not the correct course of action.. well, then it would be more practical to dispatch the were-beast now, rather than keep him captive.. though I am not a man of such brutal action.." 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on September 28, 2018, 08:49:35 AM
Yes, I also think it is best to release the abomination....

...with a warning...

TO THE WEREJACKLE

If you betray us.  If you do anything against us, you will receive my "...tender..." care.

You have seen what I can do.  I do it well.  You have been warned.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 28, 2018, 11:15:36 PM
Yarlaganda

bristles inwardly, but defers to the others’ judgement. I am a soldier, not a strategist, he reminds himself, looking at Murdus. But for the first time, he finds himself doubting the Wise One’s sagacity.

He draws his knife, as if to cut the werebeast free. But first, he turns the lycanthrope around to look at him face to face.

“Jackals have a keen sense of smell, yes?” he asks, ominously.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on September 29, 2018, 03:08:57 AM
Lahwi-Addu easily finds enough rope to tie up both of the NPCs, if the need should arise.

— —

To Murdus and Indattu, the werejackal says, “Release me if you will.  I go to my people, and we will find you.  You are few, and we are many.”

The werejackal remains brave until he hears Yarlaganda’s question.  “Yes,” he hisses, as if sensing something coming.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 29, 2018, 01:26:29 PM
Yarlaganda

"Then this won't bother you," the Gutian says. He puts out the werejackal's right eye with his knife. 

His own missing eye throbs empathetically, but he does not flinch. That was for the slain child... you are getting off easy.

He speaks to the group, still holding the (probably thrashing) lycanthrope's bonds. "You heard him. He will cause us naught but trouble if we let him go. I will abide by the group's wishes... but I say let us end this now."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 30, 2018, 08:44:30 AM
Murdus

Shrugs.. "I have said my piece... and it is evident that this creature will prove me incorrect. By all means kill him now, for alas he also now has a reason to seek personal revenge.."

Disappointedly, he then turns, leaves the building to check on the donkey.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on September 30, 2018, 07:05:38 PM
I pull out my knife and attack to kill the beast.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on September 30, 2018, 09:23:16 PM
Yarlaganda

holds up his hand to slow his Elamite friend's attack. "That's too easy a death for this filth," he says.

To the werejackal, he whispers: "You should have kept your mouth shut. They were about to make me free you. Now... well, I shall leave you one eye to see what comes for you. And your tongue, so you can scream."

With that, he pushes the werejackal into the darkness below the bridge.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on September 30, 2018, 10:24:08 PM
Lahwi-Addu

was sad to kill the werejackal but that had to be done, he reasoned.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 01, 2018, 01:53:01 AM
OOC:  Sorry I was out of town for a family wedding, and while I had an internet connection, I had no time.


Klumenos

Klumenos nods with approval as the beast-man is pushed under the bridge.  He says to Murdus, "While the taking of life is never to be cherished, sometimes it is the prudent course.  The creature has contempt and disdain for any that are not of his order--an order dedicated to the  spread of misery and death.  I must also state that I approve of the Gutian's use of the bridge to test the veracity of the astrologer's assertion that the tub is under the bridge.  If the jackle-were tells the truth, he has not to fear from the space below the bridge, but if he lies the poison of the that giant scorpion would be a blessing."  To the rest of the party he says, "I do not feel that we need to restrain the astrologer, while I am not convinced that he works with us, he seeks the key/stopper, which I sincerely hope is the same course that we are upon.  For without that aertifact who knows when the tub may next bletch forth the noxious breath that has wrought all the death and horrific images we cannot un-see."  He then watches to see what transpires below the bridge.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 01, 2018, 03:23:10 AM
Even in his human-form, the werejackal howls like a beast when the Gutian takes his eye.  At this point, the beast-man finally seems to embrace his defeat.  But he manages to remain otherwise quiet as the party drags him towards the ditch, and Yarlaganda throws him into the blackness under the bridge.

The darkness of the hole is as impenetrable as ever.  Less than a second after the creature disappears, the party hears a sound as if the creature has struck the ground.  As they stand and listen, they hear movement, and then nothing.

— —

The sun is low on the western horizon, and the world becomes bathed in a shade of red like freshly-let blood.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on October 01, 2018, 04:52:56 AM
[Sheathing my dagger.]

TO THE GROUP: Maybe it would have been to easy of a death.  We would at least have known there is one less abomination to worry about.  However, what is done, is done.  Let us council on what to do next.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on October 01, 2018, 08:15:09 AM
Yarlaganda

Watches with satisfaction as the lycanthrope disappears below the bridge. Gamesh chuckles in his mind. Now may he feel the tooth, and the claw, himself, the camel says, spitting into the ditch.

The Gutianeyes the lowering sun.

"Let us move out of this place of the dead, and make camp in the desert," he suggests. "Were that scorpiion to return, it would not be our friend. And who knows what else may slither from under that bridge," he shudders.


If there is agreement, he will mount Gamesh and lead them the shortest way out of the town.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 01, 2018, 07:54:07 PM
Lahwi-Addu

mounts his donkey and followed the Gutian.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 02, 2018, 04:07:48 AM
(https://i.imgur.com/FKqzY0I.jpg)

The astrologer has bedded down in the middle house, and wasn't present when you disposed of the werejackal.  Do you retrieve him before you leave?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 03, 2018, 12:22:39 AM
Klumenos


"I do not know that it is prudent to leave the astrologer to  his own devices.  Wherever we go, we should bring him with us.  That ziggurat at the south end of the village will likely be the location of any survivors fro this village.", he says as he point to the tower above the surrounding houses.  He continues, "If there are none left alive that is also the most probable location of any wealth horded in the village.  We can always head out into the desert to the south; if that makes sense to you Yarlaganda."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on October 03, 2018, 02:05:43 PM
Yarlaganda

had begun to head north, but at Klumenos' words about the zigarraut (especially the wealth), stops and reverses course. "As you say, there may be survivors. And we may be better off overnighting in one of these houses, rather than in the open."

He'll let the others decide what to do with the Astrologer. When everyone is ready, he'll lead a path around the town to the ziggaraut.

OOC: Good idea JustX!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 03, 2018, 11:08:17 PM
Lahwi-Addu

I don't trust the Astrologer, but he's our best bet to find the key.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 03, 2018, 11:51:08 PM
Klumenos


Klumeons will head over the the middle house to retrieve the Astrologer, "NUR-ILL," calls out Klumenos, "We are headed over to the ziggurat for the evening."  Then in a quieter voice he says, "I think I have convinced them to help search for the stopper, but that will have to wait until the morning."  Then he adds, "Oh by the way, you might want to now that the Gutian has taken the eye of the Beastman and then thrown him into the tub,"



Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 04, 2018, 03:12:24 AM
The astrologer is awake when you enter the house, and rises rather quickly. He begins to tell you about the ziggurat,  “It’s an old shrine to Nuška, not really that impressive —,” but he stops as you exit the house and looks around.

“Wait,” he continues, “Did you really do something with the were-creature?”  He looks towards the little bridge with an uncertain expression.  He moves close to Klumenos, and whispers to him, “The hole under the bridge, he should be kept away from there.  I hid the key pretty well, but with enough time and determination, who knows?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 04, 2018, 03:40:39 AM
Klumenos


"You mean to tell me that you hid the key in the tub?" whispers Klumenos in surprise.  "Why did you need my help if you knew where it was hidden?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on October 04, 2018, 10:16:28 PM
Yarlaganda

Blissfully unaware of the potential harm that he may have unleashed by throwing the beastman into the Tub, the Gutian leads the way to one of the isolated houses on the southern extremity of the delta. He'll carefully approach it to see if it's occupied.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 05, 2018, 03:56:27 AM
The astrologer shakes his head, "No, the namzāq namzītim (the "tub") has been taken by the werejackals back to their city.  It is a large container-like object, something between a coffin and a large basin.”

“But the key is under the bridge.  I was serious about it being an entrance to an underworld.  Even with my spells and foresight, I barely made it out after I hid the key there."

——

As Yarlaganda approaches the home, he hears the periodic, distressed squeals of a large pig in an attached pig pen.  It's clear at first sight that both of the sow's hind legs are broken, as if something was dropped on them.  The animal is close to death.  The mangled bodies of several piglets are nearby.

The Gutian finds this two-room home in order (not ransacked like the first ones).  The bodies of an older man and a younger woman are present in the larger room.  Their wounds are consistent with those you observed at the first houses you checked.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on October 05, 2018, 05:54:54 PM
Yarlaganda

tells the others, "We can overnight in this home. It is easily defensible, and I do not relish being out in the open tonight," he explains, thinking of the giant scorpion. "Let us lay its former owners to rest, though, that their shades may not plague us."

He head out to the squalling pig, intending to put an end to its suffering. First, however, he will look to see if he can determine how the pig was injured, and maybe learn why it was not torn to shreds like all the other meat in the town.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 05, 2018, 11:54:42 PM
Klumenos

]Klumenos is visibly shaken by the news when he asks, "So you think there is no way that at one-eyed Jackal can make it out of that pit alive?  What else down there may take an interest i the key?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 06, 2018, 01:14:03 AM
Yarlaganda finds an medium-sized, one-wheeled cart [like a wheelbarrow] overturned in the pig sty.  One side of it is smashed, and it looks like something has chewed it’s way out of it.  Another side is covered in mud and blood.

— —

“The hole drops straight down, about one and a half qanû [“reeds”, about 4.5 meters, or 14.76 feet], and there are no handholds.  He would need a rope, or some kind of sorcery.”  A wistful look comes across the astrologer’s face for a moment, “I didn’t explore the whole thing — not by a long shot.  That strange darkness effect ends once you're down in the passage, but you'll need a lamp if you wish to see.  It’s confusing down there.  Twists and turns, like a dream.  I never saw the scorpion your friend summoned, but I saw other semi-demonic creatures — and one or two wandering shades.”  He shivers, and is silent for a bit.  But at last he shrugs and adds, “Maybe it does reach down to the underworld.  Maybe the werejackal won’t meet his god the old fashioned way?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on October 06, 2018, 02:08:28 AM
Yarlaganda

will put the injured pig out of its misery. Then he’ll look at the overturned cart and see what tracks he can find.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 06, 2018, 08:12:47 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos says to the astrologer, "The others are headed tot he south end of the village, I think is best that we join them, if for no other reason that safety.  As you say there are likely ore bands of the dog-men out searching."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 09, 2018, 02:50:30 AM
It appears to Yarlaganda that the sow had gnawed its way out from under the overturned cart, and then dragged itself through the carnage of the pigpen to the place where the Gutian discovered it.

-- --

The astrologer agrees to accompany the group.  Evening comes first on, and when the stars start to appear, the astrologer turns his gaze skyward.

It is very quiet and still.  There is no breeze.

-- --

OOC: Any actions as you set up camp for the night?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 09, 2018, 06:06:30 AM
Lahwi-Addu

will take the first watch. (Perception in the rolling thread.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 09, 2018, 05:32:06 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos will check his bow t verify that it has not suffered any damage or been knocked out of adjustment when visiting the bridge.  He will also check the edge  the his sword and hone if need be.  He will then search the house for feed appropriate for the animals (donkeys and camel).  If he fails t find any he will feed his donkey from the grain supply he carries.  then he will build a fire within the hearth if this has not been done already.  He calls out to Yarlaganda, "Will you be providing meat for this evenings meal?"


Searching roll


Rolled 1d100+13 : 3 + 13, total 16
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 10, 2018, 06:40:13 AM
Murdus

Meanders around gathering firewood, herbs, that sort of thing... keeping an eye out for more of that herb that calms the senses...

--------------------

Aka Foraging... ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on October 10, 2018, 10:44:43 PM
Yarlaganda

Nods in reply to Klumenos. "The Desert has provided, but I'll be pleased to do the cooking," he says happily.

He'll start a fire, clean and cook the poor pig. He'll tend to Gamesh, and keep an eye on the weather.

After dinner, he'll turn in early and take the last watch of the night, before everyone else wakes up.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 11, 2018, 02:31:16 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos smiles at the Gutian, "By all means chef, is there anything I can do to help, besides staying out of the way?"  He will search the home to see if there is anything worth salvaging while Yarlaganda cooks, unless he needs assistance with something.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 12, 2018, 03:09:06 AM
As Lahwi-Addu peers into the night, he doesn't sense anything amiss.  Besides the party, nothing moves.  He sees no birds or beasts, nor any insects.  It's as if you've entered the land of the dead.

-- --

Klumenos finds nothing of use in the house.  Everything is damaged by violence, and what food remains is either spoiled or otherwise contaminated.

-- --

Yarlaganda cooks and prepares the pig.  The large sow provides ample meat for the party tonight, and the generous Gutian relishes the taste of the pork.

(OOC: The Babylonians, Amorites, etc. had no cultural taboos against eating pork.  Your characters, however, may have their own preferences/practices.)

While he cooks, the Gutian observes nothing out of the ordinary.  It's a clear, cool night.  The stars are out, and he doesn't sense anything unusual about the weather.

-- --

Murdus forages about and is absolutely successful.  In a pile of detritus near the pigpen, a pungent odor leads him to several patches of karān šēlebim, the "fox grape", which restores 20 concussion hits.  There is enough for 7 doses.

Away from the house, digging beneath a peculiar bush, the animist finds a bulb of extremely valuable muštēšertum, which can restore the function of an organ within an hour.

-- --

While the party rests, the astrologer climbs to the roof of the house and watches the stars.  He does not sing this time, and only briefly comes down to take some of Yarlaganda's pork.

-- --

After the Paladin finishes his watch and goes to sleep, it seems like he dreams from the moment he shuts his eyes.

Lahwi-Addu sees himself traveling through endless dark passages, some of them man-made out of grey mud brick, others natural.  At times he passes through areas full of fire and smoke.  Though he doesn't see any dead, the smell of blood is thick on the air.  He hears the sounds of a distant battle that he rushes towards, but can never reach.

At last he comes into a cramped room with a large dais in its midst.  On top of the platform is an ancient stone casket, lined with carvings and other abstract markings.  He notices the strange Ω symbol among them.  Suddenly a terrible sound, like the pounding of a large hammer and chisel, causes him to collapse and cover his face in pain and terror.  When at last he rises and looks at the object on the dais, he finds that the Ω has been chiseled off, and replaced with a symbol like an eight-pointed star.  Then he wakes.

The night has been otherwise uneventful.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 13, 2018, 08:24:55 PM
Lahwi-Addu

wipes the sweat off his face. The next morning he relates the dream to his companions.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on October 15, 2018, 10:22:53 PM
I'll see if there is anything we can use to block the door shut.  I would also recommend staying away from the windows.  However, I will also look for any broken glass or pottery.

OCC I look from broken items to place underneath the windows (inside the room).  The logic is if anyone tries to slip through, this -might- injury them.  Or at the very least the sound of those items being crushed under an intruder's weight would act as an alarm to the posted guard.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 16, 2018, 03:10:00 AM
Indattu has no trouble finding material for his booby traps.  Everything in the house is ruined, including the pottery, so the assassin has a lot to work with.

-- --

7th day of Ayyarum (April 22nd, 1767 BCE)
Dawn greets you, clear and cool.  There is no wind.

Yarlaganda rises early, feeds Gamesh, and begins to prepare breakfast for the party.  As you all rise and go about your morning routines, you see no sign of the astrologer.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 17, 2018, 02:50:59 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos says, "Some cultures place heavy weight on the meaning of dreams.  Are you familiar with the meaning of such a dream?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 17, 2018, 02:54:46 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos waits for a response from Lahwi-Addu, but then heads to the roof to see if he can spot the astrologer from that vantage.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 18, 2018, 10:15:11 PM
Lahwi-Addu

answered Klumenos that he was at odds to find a meaning for the dream. "Probably just a dream," he said.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 19, 2018, 01:32:07 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos says to Lahwi-Addu, "Your description sounded a bit like the description Nur-ili gave of the entrance to the nether world, where he hid the stopper to the Tub.  And the description of the cask sounded a bit like the description of the Tub.  Do you think your dream might be related to those items?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 19, 2018, 10:56:07 PM
Lahwi-Addu

"That's a possibility, Klumenos, that these descriptions sound alike. Do you think that's an indication that we should enter the dark space below the bridge? That sounds very risky, if you want my opinion," said the Amorite to the Minoan.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 20, 2018, 12:32:18 AM
Klumenos


"The astrologer says he hid the key--the stopper--to the cask down there.  If we do not retrieve it, who knows when that tub may spew forth another cloud of death and misery?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 21, 2018, 02:21:46 AM
When Klumenos heads up to the roof, he finds the astrologer fast asleep.  It is difficult to wake him, but when at last he rises, he says, "Morning always comes too soon.  Has the Gutian made my breakfast yet?"  With one hand, he begins to collect his blankets, and stifles a yawn with the other.  "I wouldn't want to lead you all to your deaths on an empty stomach."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 21, 2018, 05:37:16 AM
Lahwi-Addu

answered the Minoan, "Your plan to go into the dark hole might be worth a talk with the rest of the party."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 21, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
Klumenos


"Agreed"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 21, 2018, 12:38:32 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos heads to the rood of this house to look for the astrologer and get a better sense of the village.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 22, 2018, 03:25:48 AM
The light of the morning sun is caught in the mist and vapors that rise from the streams and canals.  Klumenos sees nothing but the dead village, and the wastes beyond.  To the east, at the very edge of his vision, he can see the Tigris River.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 26, 2018, 10:10:28 PM
Lahwi-Addu

the Amorite got the party assembled and together with the Astrologer, asked if it might be a good thing to enter the black hole. "Otherwise, we should be getting ready to move," he said.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 27, 2018, 01:53:22 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos holds his tongue to see what the Astrologer has to say.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 27, 2018, 07:09:39 AM
Murdus

Sits listening to the others as he completes his preparations for the herbs he's found. Once finished he looks up.

"I'm sure my part in this was simply to deliver a message, in truth my memory is not great.. but I'm sure an enterprise such as this delve into the unknown was not... but it does appear as though this mans actions.. and any further tasks merit a greater recompenses than we may have been promised..." he says looking towards the Astrologer.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 28, 2018, 04:03:41 AM
The astrologer replies to the paladin, "When I went down there, I used a powerful charm of Invisibility, that my lord's vizier inscribed on a tablet for me.  I went slowly, because I was alone, and used my prophetic gifts.  It's not safe, by any means, but I've seen the kind of violence you're all capable of."

-- --

At Murdus's question, the astrologer drops his pretense of calm, and begins to speak loud, and fast.  He sounds angry. "How much did the silly eunuch offer you?  30 shekels (15 SP) -- 50 shekels (25 SP) a piece? You need my receipt?  Give me a tablet and I'll write it for you.  But know this, the king of Ešnunna would gladly pay 10 times -- 20 times that amount, to say nothing of the other interested parties.  You're a merchant aren't you?  Don't you know -- the more you risk, the greater the potential profit!"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on October 29, 2018, 05:36:50 AM
Indattu looks at the Astrologer with strong, deadly eyes saying:

I, too, am aware of such a saying.  I also think you would say anything to save your hyde.  What more do you have to offer than just words?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 30, 2018, 02:59:00 AM
The astrologer replies to the thief.  His tone is more deferential.  Perhaps he fears Indattu’s capacity for violence?  “Well, besides the silver, you mean?  If it’s power you want, I’m sure the king could be persuaded.  Once Ešnunna conquers all of the cities of Sumer and Akkad, he’ll have need of trusted subordinates to govern the territories, and make sure the locals don’t get out of line.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on October 30, 2018, 09:23:23 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos tries to suppress a chuckle, then says, "Whatever we are going to do, I suggest we get to it soon, as there will likely be armies converging at this location soon.  Once they are here I suspect that our options will be much limited, especially with regard to who we give the stopper to."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on October 31, 2018, 05:39:58 AM
“Ah,” says the astrologer, “The foreigner appreciates the situation.”

Standing at the end of the ditch, he points to a place on the bridge.  “Secure your rope here, and you can easily climb down.  You can tie your animals here or at the house, or leave them inside if you’d like to keep them out of sight.”

Gamesh is looking particularly ornery this morning.

Nur-ili continues, “Or you could try to lower them down, but I think they’ll be ill-suited to the roads under the earth.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on October 31, 2018, 08:43:29 AM
Lahwi-Addu

spoke to the astrologer, "Lead the way, we'll follow."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 01, 2018, 01:35:40 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos will lead than animals to the house and secure them inside, this assumes that Gamesh will cooperate.  If not Klumeos will leave him alone.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 01, 2018, 03:07:56 AM
When Klumenos reaches out to grasp Gamesh's bridle, the cantankerous animal pulls away and shakes his head.

Yarlaganda chuckles, and watches to see how the scene plays out.  But when Klumenos begins to lead the other animals away, Gamesh looks after them for a moment, then looks to the Gutian.  Yarlaganda waves him away, and the creature follows after the other animals, his head held high.

-- --

The party has no trouble securing the rope to the bridge.  The astrologer shimmies down into the hole first.  When he passes the lip of the entrance, he disappears into the magical darkness.

A moment later he calls up to you.  "Drop down a torch!"  His voice sounds very distant, like the magical darkness muffles his words, somehow.

When the party begins to make their way down the rope, they find that it opens up into a small squarish cavern, with the floor about 1.5 qanû [4.5 meters, or 14.76 feet] below the the surface.  There is a blood stain on the floor, directly beneath the hole.   The footprints of bare human feet lead towards the cave's only other entrance -- a rough-hewn doorway midway one of the walls.

-- --
Level 1, Hole Entrance

(https://i.imgur.com/jwnsz3e.png)

1 square = 5 feet.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 01, 2018, 06:24:42 PM
Lahwi-Addu

turned to the astrologer "Who is this blood from, Nūr-ilī? And what dangers do you expect here to face us?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 02, 2018, 04:05:05 AM
“You’ve had some religious instruction, I guess,” begins the astrologer.  “Best I can figure, this is a part of the underworld.  There are eṭemmū (OB. “Ghosts” or “Shades”) but they’re not hostile, unless Lady Ereškigal has figured out how to weaponize boredom.  It’s the monsters we have to look out for — things like that glittering scorpion — and demons.”

In the torchlight, he squints at the blood spot.  “I didn’t notice this the last time I was here.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 02, 2018, 04:30:22 PM
Klumenos


Klumeno says, "That blood is most likely from the man-beast we threw down here yesterday.  Murdus had tended to him, but he was not whole. the fall surely  opened wounds.  I have no doubt that he will attempt revenge given half a chance."  Kluemos then rummages in his pack as he says, "We should probably have a second torch lit just in case.  Unfortunately, I only have a lamp and oil.  Anyone else have a torch?"  Kluemos then dons his shield and draws his Kopis.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 02, 2018, 05:20:40 PM
Murdus

Knowing he will be little use, apart from being a distraction should they be attacked, offers to light and hold a torch.

------------------

He'll have reluctantly left the Donkey and Cart with the camel.. though he suspects the camel would prove more use in fight.
He will have retrieved useful items (such as torches and rope) from the cart first and add them to his satchel before decending.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 04, 2018, 04:21:49 AM
The astrologer volunteers to carry a torch.  "I'll be glad to lead the way," he says, but you note that he wears no armor, carries no weapon, and has no martial skill.

You look into the tunnel ahead, and it seems that it widens, and that three men could walk abreast.

(OOC:  Marching order?)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 04, 2018, 12:27:15 PM
Lahwi-Addu

can go on the front and there's space for two more, right?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on November 04, 2018, 01:07:24 PM
Indattu TO THE GROUP: How shall I walk?  One advantage to having a thief is recognizing the true hiding places.  Where in the order shall I march?

OOC I use observation skills to watch for ambush.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 04, 2018, 06:06:07 PM
Klumenos


"I will go i the front line, And maybe Nur-Ill can be third in the line--to direct us and hold a torch.  However, I do like the idea of scouting for traps as well.  Maybe for now  we will need to depend on Nur-Ill's prior experience down here." says Kulmenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 05, 2018, 05:42:03 AM
Yes DW, space for three up front.  With Lawhi-Addu and Klumenos on the front line, there's room for one more.
Yarlaganda will volunteer for the second row, with Murdus in the back, I presume.
That just leaves for all of you to decide whether Kantron's thief or the astrologer will go up front.  Indattu does have the following relevant skills:  Alertness +23; Detect Traps +36; Locate Hidden +36; Sense Ambush +21.

Both the astrologer and Murdus have torches now.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 05, 2018, 10:24:32 PM
Lahwi-Addu

I'd say that the expertise of Indattu on noticing ambushes would be relevant for him to go in the front rank, and the astrologer in the second rank with Yarlaganda and Murdus, but I'm happy with whatever the party decides.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on November 06, 2018, 08:46:41 AM
Indattu I'm willing to go upfront.  With my skills, I can help.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 06, 2018, 03:50:45 PM
Klumenos


"So be it, Indattu is in the front rank and Nur-Ill will guide from the second rank.  Probably best to keep you safer Nur-Ill as you are the one who knows where the stopper is hidden." says Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 07, 2018, 04:49:02 AM
The party moves into the corridor, and find that the path and ceiling stay level.  About 20 feet into the passage, the dirt floor is replaced by a pavement of dried brick, which seems to have once been painted with a red lacquer.  The paint is now scuffed and peeling to reveal the gray brick beneath, making the floor look like it's carpeted in bloodstains. A few more feet, and you see that the cavern walls give way to the same kind of brick, painted with the same kind of ancient lacquer.  About 70 feet down the corridor, you come to an intersection.  The passage continues on beyond an archway, whence you hear the sound of running water.  Two empty, rusted braces along one side of the archway are all that remains of the door which rotted away long ago.

To the left and right are small, dark passages.  (A square is 5', and I'm assuming the torches illuminate a 20' radius).

(https://i.imgur.com/oaXRduJ.png)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on November 08, 2018, 12:24:45 AM
Yarlaganda

looks to see if he can determine which way the bloodstains lead. I should have killed that abomination when I had the chance, he thinks with regret.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 09, 2018, 04:33:40 AM
Klumenos’s Observation
Roll 25 + 32 skill = 57
Result: Failure.
Klumenos sees little in the darkened passageway.

— —

Kantron’s Observation
Roll 37 + 39 skill = 76
Result:  Partial Success.
In the corner of your eye, you think the light catches on something in at the edge of the darkened passage to your right.  Did you imagine it?

— —

Yarlaganda’s Tracking
(The ease of following a trail of blood is canceled out by the peeling red lacquer on the floor)
Roll 39 + 43 skill = 82
Result:  Partial Success
The Gutian is able to distinguish what he thinks are a few spots of blood here and there, but he’ll have to try again if he means to track them.

— —
"Forward" whispers the astrologer.  "I hid the key further on."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 09, 2018, 07:27:43 PM
Kluemons


Klumenos awaits his cohorts before pressing on and admonishes the astrologer as needed t do the same.  "I understand the desire to press on and be done with this place,but no sense in rushing forward to be bitten in the arse--so to speak."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 10, 2018, 08:09:00 AM
Indattu has noticed something in the right passage at the edge of the torchlight.  He inspects further:
Kantron’s Observation
Roll 154 + 39 skill = 193
Result:  Absolute Success!

As the Elamite takes a closer look, he recognizes a familiar outline 15’ into the right passageway.  It’s the giant scorpion with the glittering carapace Yarlaganda summoned earlier.  The creature’s pinchers are open wide, and it seems to be waiting for an opportunity to attack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 10, 2018, 06:33:08 PM
Klumenos

As the Elamite points out the scorpion, the Minoan exclaims, "Yesterday's boon is today's bane!"  He readies his weapon and shield but holds to see if Yarlaganda has a trick up his sleeve.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 10, 2018, 09:49:51 PM
Lahwi-Addu

the Amorite prepares to face the scorpion. He asked Yarlaganda, "Do you have means to summon the scorpion and in this way make him obey you?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on November 12, 2018, 01:53:47 AM
Yarlaganda

shakes his head sadly. "No, that is not something I can do. When I am inside, The Desert cannot hear me. Our foreign friend is right: yeseterday's friend has become today's foe. But hold a moment more; let me see if I still have a connection."

He advances two feet towards the scorpion, hands outstretched, empty palms down. He tries to communicate with the scorpion in the same way he would with Gamesh.

We are not food. We are no threat. I fed you yesterday. Leave us in peace, and I may bring you food again. Attack us, and you will die.
 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 12, 2018, 05:01:48 AM
OOC: Well said.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 12, 2018, 11:07:31 AM
Murdus

Spends a few moments trying to scrounge some spare food items together... "What does a Scorpion eat?" He wonders....

"Perhaps it might wish another offering?"

----------------------

Plan to use some of the "Calming" Herbs in the food, to give to the scorpion...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 12, 2018, 07:14:23 PM
OOC:  Do we have any of that roast pig left?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 13, 2018, 04:15:44 AM
Yarlaganda's Animal Handling Attempt
Roll 40 + 45 Skill + -20 Monstrous Animal Penalty = 65
Result: Failure.

The creature steps fully into the light now, and does not seem placated.  It might be that something of the Gutian’s old rapport remains though, because the thought comes into his mind, Intruders — protect the home!

— —
Did you take any of the pork with you? I suspect there would have been leftovers — it seems like a reasonable thing your characters would have done.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 13, 2018, 09:10:11 AM
Murdus

"Umm...ahhh... yes... Hold on a moment..." he says checking his satchel with his free hand... "Can someone hold the torch for a moment?.... I have an idea..."

------------------------

He ALWAYS saves leftovers... ;)...

Uses the "Calming Herbs" and rubs it into the pork before handing it over..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 13, 2018, 06:10:30 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos does not relish the idea of having to fight the giant scorpion,  he says, "We can hold for a few moments if it is willing, but be quick about it." He does not want to give the beast too much undue advantage.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on November 13, 2018, 08:23:01 PM
Yarlaganda

will hold the torch for Murdus. “It’s defending its nest,” he tells the others. “But the food may work anyway. Let’s retreat slowly the way we came,” he suggests. “And leave it some pork.”

He’ll back away slowly, arms still outstretched, and urge the group to do the same. No threat, he tries to tell the scorpion. Backing away. We are no threat.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 14, 2018, 02:59:53 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos provides as much cover as possible with his shield to Murdus as he sets the food down.  Then he gladly follows Yarlaganda's lead and backs away slowly.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 14, 2018, 06:13:11 AM
OOC:  Clever ploy!

As the party backs away, the gemsting scorpion cautiously scuttles forwards, the final, barbed bulb of his tail glittering in the torchlight.  It tests the meat.

Gemsting's RR versus the Calm effect of the herb
Roll 38.  He needed a 55.
Result: Failure.

The giant scorpion cautiously tries the pork at first, then, after a moment begins to eat it more enthusiastically.  It lowers its tail.

Yarlaganda’s Animal Handling
(OOC: Because he's magically Calmed, I'm dropping the penalty!)
Roll 64 + 45 Skill = 109
Result:  Near Success, the beast reluctantly submits.

After several more moments, the scorpion picks up the pork and takes it into the other small passage (the one opposite the one in which he was lurking).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 15, 2018, 01:42:11 AM
Klumenos


"Nice work Yar', we might now have an ally...well at least as long as we have pork", quips Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on November 15, 2018, 03:53:27 AM
Yarlaganda

nods at Klumenos. "I wouldn't call him an ally, but maybe he is not a foe for the time being. Let's move," he suggests, ushering his companions forward.

"How long will your herbs work?" he asks Murdus.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 15, 2018, 09:08:05 AM
Murdus

"Long enough to pass, but for now that same dose I have given will have to do. I'm afraid I know little about this creatures ability to recover from the effects... but I have more herbs and pork should the requirement arise, if we return." He pauses...

"Though I have more of the calming herbs... I suspect their use will become of greater importance as we approach this artefact... in fact, I'd suggest once we have passed this danger I distribute a dose to each of us.. should we feel an unnatural anger rise within us. I do not feel as if I'd be able to administer such to you should you fall under the same rage that the unfortunates above us succumbed to...."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 15, 2018, 11:21:38 PM
Lahwi-Addu

thanked the Animist and put the herb in a his pouch ready to use.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on November 16, 2018, 01:25:27 AM
Yarlaganda

takes the herbs from Murdus gratefully.

As the party advances, he will stand between them and the scorpion and try to establish more of a rapport with it, in case the herbs wear off before the party returns.

Friends, he says, indicating his comrades. No threat. No fight. Remember us.  He considers a moment. Do you have a master? Has someone bound you here?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 16, 2018, 02:19:41 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos thanks Muruds, "These herbs are much appreciated, good thinking to try to off-set the effects of the evil cloud, should we encounter it again."  In preparation for what comes next Klumenos then puts stun relief berry back into his cheek.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 16, 2018, 07:07:51 AM
Yarlaganda’s Animal Handling Roll
Roll 9 + 45 Skill = 54
Result: Failure.

Yarlaganda doesn't get any response from the creature.  As the party passes behind him, he realizes that the gemsting isn't alone.

Out of the shadows of the small left corridor, another, slightly larger gemsting emerges.  This one also ignores the party, and moves to share the first one's meal.  It's then that the ranger notices an additional detail; on the second scorpion's back are a handful of smaller gemstings, whose pale-green carapaces look fragile in the torchlight.

(https://i.imgur.com/JUWypQp.jpg)

These young scorpions also ignore you, as they run over their mother's back to feed on the tainted pork.

-- --

The room in front of you is large and square.  This appears to been some kind of ceremonial place.  Two great stone statues of šēdū (sing. šēdum) stand on a dais in the middle of the room.  They frame a large tablet with writing in Akkadian.  There's a large doorway on the other side of the room.  There are also three smaller passages out of the room as well.

(https://i.imgur.com/Hfo6OyY.jpg)

The floor is bricked like the previous room, and painted with the same peeling red lacquer.

(https://i.imgur.com/4jupRvM.jpg)

Anyone who can read Akkadian reads the following:

1. They sit in silence on the path and are dispersed below,
2. (Once) the Seven of Them have wafted in with the ill wind, they cannot be challenged.
3. They have stood by the crossroads and discourage travel into the country,
4. You who keep wandering about in the temples.
5. But since no maṣḫatu-flour has been scattered for them,
6. Nor any divine offering has been made for them, their behavior is aggressive.
7. The old hag, maiden, brother, sister, lad, and old man, who are all godless,
8. They will abduct you, mother together with daughter and father together with son, and bring you down to the Netherworld.

1.  Ina ṭudat šaqummiš ušbū šapliš ittanaprarū šunu,
2.  Itti imḫullim izzīqā Sebēšina ul imaḫḫarū šunu.
3.  Šunu ina rebâtim izzizzū-ma erēb mātim usahharū,
4.  Bītāt ilī tartanappudā.
5.  Maṣḫatu ul issarraqšunūšim
6.  niqî ilī ul innaqqīšunūšim, alaktašunu lemnet.
7.  Puršumtum wardatum aḫum aḫatum eṭlum šībum ša la ilum.
8.  Ummum itti mārtim abum itti mārim mitḫāriš imašša'ū-ma ana erṣetim ušerredū.

You also notice something curious.  The text seems to use the plural male pronoun for emphasis at some points, as if to draw attention to it, but the "Seven of Them" is unusual in that it's written as female.  Are there two sets of beings discussed on the tablet, or one?

(I've color coded the gendered portions of the sentence to make it more obvious.  This distinction is obvious in Akkadian, but not some much in English).
1. They sit in silence on the path and are dispersed below,
2. (Once) the Seven of Them have wafted in with the ill wind, they cannot be challenged.
3. They have stood by the crossroads and discourage travel into the country,
4. You who keep wandering about in the temples.
5. But since no maṣḫatu-flour has been scattered for them,
6. Nor any divine offering has been made for them, their behavior is aggressive.
7. The old hag, maiden, brother, sister, lad, and old man, who are all godless,
8. They will abduct you, mother together with daughter and father together with son, and bring you down to the Netherworld.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on November 16, 2018, 08:52:18 PM
Yarlaganda

is dismayed at his failure, and at the appearance of more gemstings. Perhaps the mother will hesitate to fight, with her young in tow, he thinks.

As the others pass, he will fall back to keep watch on the party"s rear, in case the scorpions (or something else) tries to come up behind them. "Be quick," he urges the academics in the group. "Or we may need to find another exit."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 17, 2018, 03:57:23 PM
Klumenos


After studying the tablet for a moment Kulmenos says, "I am no historian nor a religious scholar, but it appears that the tablet refers to 7 goddesses that travel in the ill wind, which I assume is the same wind that Nur-Ill released.  I am guessing that the males refers to are some minions or avatars, that will wreak havoc on the mortals who do not worship the goddesses.   This is just my guess, any other thoughts?" 


OOC:  Would Klumenos have any idea of the significance of the Shedu?  Please roll for me if needed.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 17, 2018, 05:12:25 PM
Murdus

Absently minded wanders in to pursue.. and ultimately ponder over the text...

"At least the last two lines seems to make some sort of sense... It would appear as if the Old Hag and the Mother... also the Old Man and the Father... are one and the same... leaving the maiden and daughter... and lad and son... to also be one and the same. Four people.. or guardians.. or guides it seems..."

Looks around... "And.. perhaps there being four exits also has some significance...this being a crossroads of sorts"

"Regards all this conjecture is moot....Astrologer. Where is this stopper?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 18, 2018, 02:20:32 AM
"Forward, and down," says the astrologer.  He indicates the door across the hall.  "You'll see what I mean.  I never tried the other passages."

-- --

Klumenos would have seen other statues of Šēdum in his travels.  They're common enough in temple areas that he would probably have asked someone about them.  He knows that the statues represent mythological creatures, who supposedly protect sacred places, and often know a great deal of magical lore.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 19, 2018, 11:57:33 AM
Lahwi-Addu

also put the stun relief berry in his mouth. He asked the astrologer, "Do you expect opposition here?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 20, 2018, 03:56:31 AM
“I was using a spell tablet,” the astrologer says, “A powerful spell of invisibility from one of my lord’s sorcerers.  It hid me from most things.  But the air seems different down here now.”  He smiles, but you detect fear behind it.

“In truth, I don’t know.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 20, 2018, 07:34:45 PM
Klumenos


Ponders the tablet one last time and then decides that the secret to something so powerful would not be hidden in the entry.  "Let move on but be cautions and alert."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 22, 2018, 05:00:04 AM
The party crosses the room.

When the first of you gets within 10 feet of the exit the astrologer indicated, all of you hear the sound of stone grating on stone.  You turn and find that the two šēdū have animated.  As the right one begins to speak the words of a spell in Sumerian, the left one moves towards you.

(https://i.imgur.com/8iOdPLq.jpg)

Initiatives and actions?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 22, 2018, 03:52:25 PM
Klumenos


And there would never be a guardian at the entrance thinks Klumenos regretfully.  "If we can make it through the arch it will limit their approach on us, as long as they do not cast an area spell."


initiative


Rolled 2d10+13 : 4, 1 + 13, total 18




Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 23, 2018, 07:27:00 AM
Lahwi-Addu

turned at the guardian that had started casting a spell and tried to hit it first.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 26, 2018, 04:24:14 AM
Round 1
Current Initiative Order
24. Lahwi-Addu
23.  Šēdum 1 (spellcasting)
22.  Šēdum 2
18. Klumenos
17. Murdus
16. Yarlaganda
9.  Nur-ili

GB, what will Murdus’s action(s) be?
Kantron needs to re-roll Indattu’s initiative.  Whenever his attack hits, it’s going to pack a wallop.
Just X is Klumenos going to attack, or move to the exit?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 26, 2018, 08:43:39 AM
Murdus

Although, fascinated by the text, he's also aware that this is not a *nice* place.... he'll have stayed back and pondered further over the script...

When the things animate.. he's not surprised that they do so. He'll pull back and find *more* cover..

=======================

OOC: Using his cognitive abilities (rather than mine ;) ) he'll try and work out if there is a "safe word" or Password... or method to bypass the guardians...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 27, 2018, 02:20:30 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos backs to the cover of the arch and then retrieves the loaf of black bread from his pack and prepares to make an offering to the Sedu.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 27, 2018, 04:39:32 AM
Partial Round 1
Initiative Order
24. Lahwi-Addu
23.  Šēdum 1 (spellcasting)
22.  Šēdum 2
18. Klumenos
17.  Indattu-Inšušniak
17. Murdus
16. Yarlaganda
9.  Nur-ili

1.  Lahwi-Addu attacks the spellcasting Šēdum.
Roll 69 + 60 OBAP +15 Axe +10 Deliberate - 30 DB = 124
Result:  15 Hits + “C” Critical.
Crit. Roll: 49
Result: +3 Hits, 1 round Stun, no parry, 1 bleed.
The paladin's axe lances through the beast's chest.  He is staggered, and begins to bleed.

2.  Šēdum 1 is stunned before he can finish his spell.

3.  Šēdum 2 stomps Indattu-Inšušniak:
Roll 46 + 70 OBAP - 29 = 87
Result: 8 Hits, “ET” Critical
Crit. Roll:  +2 Hits, 1 bleed.
Šēdum 2 strikes before the wily Elamite can get into position.  His massive hoof grazes the thief, delivering 10 hits, and drawing blood.

4.  Klumenos makes an offering of black bread.
When the foreigner readies the bread, he feels the baleful gaze of the two large beasts fall upon him.

Klumenos, do you do anything with the loaf this round?  Let me know, and then we'll proceed through the other PCs actions.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 28, 2018, 12:45:13 AM
Klumenos

He breaks the bread into pieces and scatters them on the ground before the sedu.  as he does so he intones "We make this offering to those who sit in silence to beseech the gods of the underworld to allow us safe passage.  We mean no transgression."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on November 28, 2018, 04:20:56 AM
The same instant Klumenos finishes his prayer, every member of the party feels as if something is different.  The two Šēdū immediately revert to stone, standing where they are.

The rest of the party can continue their attack, but the statues AT now matches that of stone (AT 16 instead of the AT 4 of their animal hide) and any strike against them now might damage your weapon.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on November 28, 2018, 02:33:12 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos smiles at the effect, "I got luck with that one," he says.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on November 30, 2018, 06:10:14 AM
Lahwi-Addu

patted Klumenos on the back. "That was an ingenious device, Minoan!" he said.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on December 01, 2018, 04:01:07 AM
Hey guys, while you decide whether to explore the other side rooms, or to go ahead and follow the astrologer's directions, I'm going to call a hiatus for the next 15 days, until Saturday, December 15th.  The reason is simple: I'm moving my family over the next few weeks, and it's going to take a while to get everything straightened out to a point where I feel like I can focus properly.

Thank you all again for participating.  Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.  We will resume soon!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on December 03, 2018, 09:39:32 PM
Klumenos


"I suggest that we press on and retrieve the stopper, before any additional exploration is conducted.  That way if we need to retreat to the surface we will have the object of our quest already."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 04, 2018, 09:57:27 AM
Keptico

"Agreed, Klumenos" said the Amorite. "We didn't come here for booty, which seems to be well guarded."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on December 11, 2018, 01:41:22 PM
Yarlaganda

"I would not object to some booty," he mutters sullenly, under his breath. But he says nothing aloud,

He squats and examines the bread which Klumenos scattered on the ground curiously. He rises and gives the Minoan an approving nod.

"Well done, ally. I do not think that would have been an easy battle."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on December 12, 2018, 02:21:57 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos says, "I agree battling the sedu would likely have been difficult.  As I thought about it the words of the tablet stuck in my mind, particularly that bit about mashatu floor, so I took a shot at trying an offering."  After a brief pause he adds, "Once we have retrieved the stopper, we can explore at our leisure.  But if we fail to remain as lucky as we have with our last two encounteres, we can abandon this place with whatever loot we have gained knowing that we already have retrieved the stopper."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on December 16, 2018, 07:32:01 AM
The party passes through the archway located on the opposite side of the passage from their entrance.  The next room is a small antechamber, which reminds the group of a kind of gate house which they would find between an outside door, and a larger chamber or sanctuary.  This antechamber is barren and empty.  There is only one exit.

The doors of this exit rotted away long ago.  As the party moves to look out of the antechamber, they walk out onto a platform which overlooks a vast space.  At first it seems that this is some giant, underground cavern, but as your eyes adjust, and you take in your surroundings, you realize that you have truly entered some strange otherworld.

Above them, the party cannot detect a cavern ceiling.  Instead, they can only perceive a kind of cloudy haze several miles above.  A kind of luminance seems to issue from the haze, like moonlight through a heavy fog, and thus the whole vista before you is illuminated by this sickly light.

As you look behind and below you, you realize that the platform you stand upon, and the chambers you recently passed through, are only the topmost chambers (OB. gegunnûm) of a giant ziqqurat.  A stairway leads down from your platform to a little landing about five ašlātum (984.25 feet) below you, then from there another stairway leads further down.  These stairs are wide enough to allow a festival procession, or a marching army, to pass down, and leave you room to walk beside them.

From your position, you can’t tell how tall the ziqqurat is, but it must be at least five (1.12 miles) high.  Far below, there is a gray, colorless plain.  Many white figures are moving about like ants there.  Otherwise, everything, even the mudbrick of the ziqqurat, is a shade of gray.

“I hid the thing in one of the lower chambers,” the astrologer tells you.  “You should be careful though, the stairs are decayed and treacherous.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on December 16, 2018, 11:07:10 PM
Klumenos


"Now we must answer the most difficult question--should we tie ourselves together or not?  Tied add safety in case of a fall--tied we all fall if it goes horribly bad." says Kluemos dejectedly.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 17, 2018, 11:05:46 PM
Lahwi-Addu

What are the bonuses and penalties on climbing tied and aloe, Enheduanna?


Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on December 18, 2018, 04:25:35 AM
Without any aids, it would be an Extremely Hard Climbing/Scaling Moving Maneuver.  With a rope, you can gain a +20 modifier, which can become +40 if someone can make a successful Rope Mastery check in securing the rope.

I feel the best way to handle the benefits/dangers of you tying yourselves together is this: Every character who makes a successful Climbing check gives a +20 to the characters in front of or behind them.  However, if someone fails their check (i.e., scores a “fall” on the Moving Maneuver Table RMFRP p.50) the players immediately above and below the fallen player have to make another Moving Maneuver roll without the benefits of the +20 from adjacent players.  You’re also going to be limited in your movement to the slowest moving player.

Just in case someone is too busy to look the table up, results above 41 will succeed, 21-40 you will fail to move that turn, and anything below 20 means you fall. You have to score below -50 for things to really get grim.

The distance to the first platform is 984.25 feet.  Normal Climbing speed is 10’/round, so moving at 50% would take 197 rounds.  Rather than make you check every round (which would take forever) let’s break that increment up into 300 feet instead.  That way, if you move at 50% (which I think is a fair guess), the distance will take you 6.5 rounds, and I won’t be rolling dice from now until the end of time.

(As always, if my math doesn't make sense, don't be afraid to speak up!)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 18, 2018, 11:51:52 AM
The rope mastery uses which skill, Enheduanna, and what is the Difficulty of the Maneuver? I think I would have succeeded in both.  :wizi:
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on December 18, 2018, 04:53:56 PM
Wow, good rolls all around.  Rope Mastery is a Craft skill.  I believe both Murdus and Klumenos have ranks in it.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on December 23, 2018, 08:04:07 PM
Yarlaganda

feels his neck hairs prickle as he stands at the edge of the platform and peers down into the darkness. He resists the urge to spit.

(OOC: It's a long shot, but would any of his "Moving Ways" spells aid in this case?)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on December 24, 2018, 12:26:33 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos ties off the rope and gets in the next position in line.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on December 24, 2018, 07:45:11 AM
The members of the party lash themselves together under Klumenos’s and Murdus’s guidance.

Klumenos’s Rope Mastery Attempt:
Roll 13 + 22 Skill = 35
Result: Failure.

Murdus’s Rope Mastery Attempt:
Roll 76 + 39 Skill = 115
Result: Success!  +40 to everyone’s Climbing Check.

Barrow, unfortunately I don't think any of the Moving Ways spells will help you.  The closest is 1. Rockrunning, but the description notes "nearly horizontal rocky and earthen surfaces."  While a mud-brick ziqqurat may stretch the definition of "rocky and earthen", I think the descent is too steep to characterize as "nearly horizontal."

Before I adjudicate the rest, what order are you climbing in?  This matters, because if the adjacent bonuses, etc.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on December 24, 2018, 01:00:13 PM
OOC: Thanks for checking. Rockrunning was the one I was eyeing myself.

Unless anyone else has another plan for him, Yarlaganda can go last in the order. Hopefully if someone does fall, he can use his strength to mitigate the damage.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on December 25, 2018, 12:02:14 PM
Lahwi-Addu

could go second in line of climbing.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on December 29, 2018, 04:22:26 AM
Corrected Climbing Order (Bottom to Top)
1. Indattu-Inšušinak
2.  Lahwi-Addu
3.  Klumenos
4.  Nur-ili
5.  Murdus
6. Yarlaganda

Round One
Climbing Manuever Rolls
1. Indattu’s Climbing
Roll 95 + 58 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success = 180
Result: Success, 110% of 300 feet for 330 feet moved.

2.  Lahwi-Addu’s Climbing
Roll 98 + 51 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 229
Result: Success, Double of 300 feet for 600 feet moved.

3.  Klumenos’s Climbing
Roll 4 + 24 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 108
Result: Success, 60% of 300 feet for 180 feet moved.

4.  Nur-ili’s Climbing
Roll 46 + 7 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 123
Result: Success, 70% of 210 feet for 180 feet moved.

5.  Murdus’s Climbing
Roll 16 + 38 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 134
Result: Success, 80% of 300 feet for 240 feet moved.

6. Yarlaganda’s Climbing
Roll 46 + 34 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success = 140
Result: Success, 60% of 300 feet for 270 feet moved.

Narrative
The group begins to climb down towards the lower platform.  Your two strongest climbers (Indattu and Yarlaganda) go at the front and back, while the astrologer, your weakest climber, stays in the middle where he can benefit from the other character’s successes.

Both Murdus and Klumenos have some initial trouble finding good handholds, but bolstered by the rope and their companions, together, the party moves a total of 180 feet this round.  804.25 feet left to go.

OOC:  I had family in town this week, so it's slowed me down a little.  :wink:  There is a point to this, by the way.

Round two rolls?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 01, 2019, 04:41:24 AM
I corrected the order list above.  The roll and narratives where correct, but I transposed two characters in the list.

Round Two
Climbing Manuever Rolls
1. Indattu’s Climbing
Roll 46 + 58 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success = 164
Result: Success, 100% of 300 feet for 300 feet moved.

2.  Lahwi-Addu’s Climbing
Roll 23 + 31 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 134
Result: Success, 80% of 300 feet for 240 feet moved.

3.  Klumenos’s Climbing
Roll 94 + 24 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 198
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

4.  Nur-ili’s Climbing
Roll 65 + 7 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 152
Result: Success, 100% of 300 feet for 300 feet moved.

5.  Murdus’s Climbing
Roll 17 + 38 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 135
Result: Success, 80% of 300 feet for 240 feet moved.

6. Yarlaganda’s Climbing
Roll 12 + 34 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success = 106
Result: Success, 60% of 300 feet for 180 feet moved.

Narrative
The group manages to climb another 180 feet this round.  Only 624 feet left to go.

-- --

 ;evil) For next round, everyone needs to make perception rolls, in addition to their climbing checks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 08, 2019, 06:03:56 AM
Sorry for the delay.  I’m going to resolve the Climbing Rolls first, then we’ll deal with the Perception Rolls.

Round Three
Climbing Maneuver Rolls
1. Indattu’s Climbing
Roll 61 + 58 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success = 179
Result: Success, 110% of 300 feet for 330 feet moved.

2.  Lahwi-Addu’s Climbing
Roll 176 + 31 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success = 287
Result: Success, double of 300 feet for 600 feet moved.  Also +30 to all allies rolls for 4 rounds!

3.  Klumenos’s Climbing
Roll 91 + 24 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s roll = 225
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

4.  Nur-ili’s Climbing
Roll 63 + 7 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s roll = 180
Result: Success, 110% of 300 feet for 330 feet moved.

5.  Murdus’s Climbing
Roll 131 + 38 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s roll = 279
Result: Success, double of 300 feet for 600 feet moved.  Also +30 to all allies rolls for 4 rounds (does not stack with LA’s bonus)

6. Yarlaganda’s Climbing
Roll 38 + 34 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s roll= 162
Result: Success, 100% of 300 feet for 300 feet moved.

Narrative
Collectively, the group manages to climb another 300 feet this round.  Only 324 feet left to go.

Perception Rolls
1. Indattu’s Alertness
Roll 7 + 23 Skill = 30
Result:  Failure.

2.  Lahwi-Addu’s Alertness
Roll 65 + 36 Skill = 101
Result:  Near Success.  You notice something off in the distance, flying across the plain, under the strange atmosphere.  +10 to observe it next round.

3.  Klumenos’s Alertness
Roll 28 + 13 = 41
Result:  Failure

4.  Nur-illi’s Alertness
Roll 82 + 40 = 112
Result:  Success.  The astrologer notes the approach of ten winged, humanoid figures.  They’re flying towards the ziqqurat.

5.  Murdus’s Alertness
Roll -53 + 33 = -20
Result: Spectacular Failure.  You’re so distracted by your climbing, you might not even notice the creatures if your attention were called to them next round.

6.  Yarlaganda’s Alertness
Roll 84 + 38 = 122
Result:  Success.  The ranger also notes the approach of ten winged, humanoid figures.  They seem to be flying towards the ziqqurat.

Narrative
As you’re continuing your climb, Yarlaganda and the astrologer notice a group of winged creatures in the distance.  They’re a little over 900 feet away, and winging toward the ziqqurat.  They’ll probably reach you by the end of your next two rounds of climbing.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 08, 2019, 08:30:40 AM
Lahwi-Addu

asked the astrologer, "What is that, Nūr-ilī? And will they be aggressive?" (The Amorite makes a religious check to see if he knows them.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 08, 2019, 11:27:18 AM
Murdus

Buoyed by his success in climbing, he focuses on his further efforts...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 11, 2019, 04:47:08 AM
“Everything here is foreign and inimical to the living,” the astrologer replies.


Lahwi-Addu’s Knowledge Religion check:
Roll 79 + 41 skill = 120
Result: Success.

The temples of Ištar teaches its warriors about the various monsters and denizens of the underworld.  Lahwi-Addu therefore knows these creatures as Ahhāzū, lesser monsters who serve the demoness Lamaštum, and were created in her image.  They’re human-sized, with wings on their arms and terrible talons on their feet.  Some of these creatures can issue a cry which will paralyze men, and make them easy prey.  (OOC: Basically, they’re harpies.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 12, 2019, 12:33:17 AM
Lahwi-Addu

"Damn, Harpies!" said the Amorite. He doubles his effort to reach the top by the time the Ahhāzū fly to them.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on January 12, 2019, 02:54:35 AM
Klumeons


Hearing that they will soon be assailed by the Ahhuza soon, Klumenos redoubles his climbing efforts hopping to reach the plateau in time to prep his bow for a shot.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on January 12, 2019, 07:01:39 AM
Yarlaganda

continues the climb as well.

I feel a long way from the Desert, he thinks. And I am unsure that this will work... but what have I to lose?

He cannot scratch in the dirt this time, with his hands in the rope, but he remembers another trick the tribal elders taught him, in his youth.

He curls his tongue and whistles- a sharp, piercing sound.

OOC: Yarlaganda climbs and attempts to cast Sunmon Guardian.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on January 14, 2019, 09:59:56 PM
I also continue my climb to the best defensible spot.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 15, 2019, 04:45:26 AM
OOC: Yarlaganda climbs and attempts to cast Sunmon Guardian.
Natures Summons isn’t an instantaneous spell, so it takes at least 75% of your normal round under normal rules.  Also, casting it in combat without preparation incurs a -45 penalty (see the table on p. 47, RMFRP).

Of course, we’re not dealing with normal rounds here, because that would take forever to climb this distance.  So if there’s no objection, I’ll rule that it will take 10% of your action this round to cast it as soon as you can at a -45 penalty; 20% of your round to cast it at -20; or 30% of your round to cast it with no penalty.  Of course, you’ll be holding everyone else up.

What do you think?  Let me know and then I'll adjudicate the rest, since the rest of the party is literally tied to you.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on January 16, 2019, 10:07:01 PM
OOC: Well that’s fair enough. But I don’t want to prolong our time exposed on the rope. If it’s not too late to change my mind,  Yarlaganda will just climb normally and not cast the spell.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 17, 2019, 05:53:34 AM
Barrow:  That's kind of what I figured.  I'll assume that Yarlaganda has been able to appraise the situation before he makes his choice.

Round Four
Climbing Maneuver Rolls
1. Indattu’s Climbing
Roll 77 + 58 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 225
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

2.  Lahwi-Addu’s Climbing
Roll 57 + 31 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 198
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

3.  Klumenos’s Climbing
Roll 42 + 24 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 176
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

4.  Nur-ili’s Climbing
Roll -56 + 7 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 61
Result: Success, 10% of 300 feet for 30 feet moved!

5.  Murdus’s Climbing
Roll 20 + 38 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 168
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

6. Yarlaganda’s Climbing
Roll 32 + 34 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 156
Result: Success, 100% of 300 feet for 300 feet moved.

Narrative
While the rest of the party has clearly gotten the hang of climbing, your weakest climber, the astrologer is holding you back.  Even with all your help, he struggles to more a mere 30 feet this round!  (OOC:  Good thing for him though!  Without your help, he’d still be falling next round.)

294 feet before you reach the platform.  The harpies are now 600 feet from the ziqqurat, and heading straight for you.  If the dice are kind, you’ll make it.  If.

Edit:  You know, with the astrologer flubbing his roll so poorly, Yarlaganda wouldn't have slowed anyone down this round if he cast a spell.  Thinking about it more though, wouldn't a creature summoned with Summon Guardian protect the place where you were, and not the place where you're going?  With these larger rounds and given the distance you'd have to move, he'd be protecting a spot 300 feet above you when you make it to the platform.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on January 17, 2019, 07:43:50 PM
Yarlaganda

feels exposed on the climb. “Move!” he bellows. “Star-man!” he says to the astrologer, “Do not delay! Get to the platform!”

He continues to climb himself.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on January 17, 2019, 11:44:25 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos also feels the pressure to get to firm footing before having to face the flying surges.  Given the progress down the ziqqurat so far, he is abandoning hopes of plying  the bow and begins to think that shield and spear may serve him better.



Edit text size
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 24, 2019, 05:49:46 AM
Round Five
Climbing Maneuver Rolls
1. Indattu’s Climbing
Roll 65 + 58 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 213
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

2.  Lahwi-Addu’s Climbing
Roll 23 + 31 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 164
Result: Success, 100% of 300 feet for 300 feet moved.

3.  Klumenos’s Climbing
Roll 87 + 24 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 221
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

4.  Nur-ili’s Climbing
Roll 92 + 7 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 209
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

5.  Murdus’s Climbing
Roll 54 + 38 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +40 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 202
Result: Success, 120% of 300 feet for 360 feet moved.

6. Yarlaganda’s Climbing
Roll 28 + 34 Skill +40 Rope Mastery Success +20 Adjacent Character Success +30 bonus from LA’s epic success last round = 152
Result: Success, 100% of 300 feet for 300 feet moved.

Narrative
With Yarlaganda’s encouragement, the astrologer seems to get the hang of climbing, at least for now.

The party reaches the platform, and has a round to prepare to receive the harpies.  The platform is small compared to the rest of the structure, but more than adequate for the party’s needs.  In area, it’s roughly the size of a Babylonian ikûm (“field plot”, 3600 m2); 1.5 ašlātum wide (90 meters, 295.28 feet) and juts out from the ziqqurat 2/3rds of an ašlum (40 meters, 131.23 feet).  The strange gray brick of the platform is pitted and pockmarked, but not enough that it will cause you problems with your footing.

There’s a wide doorway that leads into the ziqqurat.  The cyclopean stair continues down from the opposite side of the platform, across the one you just descended.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on January 24, 2019, 02:06:17 PM
OOC: How wide is the doorway, and roughly how far is the party from it?

Do we have an estimate on the number of harpies?

Thanks
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on January 25, 2019, 02:52:41 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos will go with his shield and spear to defend against the harpies.


OOC: I can't remember if the figure 8 shield counts as a full shield or as a wall shield.  Can you provide clarification on that issue?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 26, 2019, 05:24:22 AM
Barrow:  The doorway is 12 feet wide.  But like the others you’ve passed, whatever door once stood there disappeared long ago.  The center point of the doorway is 49 meters (160.9 feet) from the bottom of the stair (thank you Pythagoras).

There are 10 harpies.

Just X:  I spent some time with ...And a 10-foot Pole and I’m going to say it’s a “full” shield, not a wall shield.  I don’t understand why they don’t list the full shield until the Iron Age — like no one had the idea to hide behind a bigger thing until New Kingdom Egypt.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 26, 2019, 08:01:43 AM
Murdus

Once safely to the platform and entangled from the ropes securing them, he'll shuffle to the archway... "There's too many to face here.. pull back into the doorway, deprive them of the chance of attacking you from above."

He'll check out what's through the doorway...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 26, 2019, 08:24:20 AM
Enheduanna,

I have a question for you. If I cast a spell, then a D100 + Spell Mastery skill bonus has to be greater than the ESF penalties, right?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on January 26, 2019, 10:09:18 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos follows Murdus's lead and heads for the archway.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on January 26, 2019, 10:45:46 PM
Calling out to the approaching threat: Come at me if you dare.  Leave if you value your life!

I take up a fighting position by the doorway.  I prepare for combat.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 27, 2019, 06:21:19 AM
DW:  It depends.  If you can automatically cast a spell (p. 46 RMFRP), then you don’t have to make a static maneuver roll.  So unless it’s an attack spell, you won’t have to roll at all if you can cast it automatically.

See this chart:

(https://i.imgur.com/SMxuy2F.png)

If you can’t cast it automatically, then you have to consider the following modifications to your Static Maneuver roll, which is modified by your skill bonus with that specific list (p. 47 RMFRP).

(https://i.imgur.com/7UAkBba.png)

Overall, this chart governs the static maneuver spell roll:

(https://i.imgur.com/SBr0wVl.png)

Edit:  Don't forget that you can apply your Transcend Armor bonus to any penalties you suffer for wearing armor.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 27, 2019, 10:56:41 PM
Ok, thanks, Enheduanna. I can't cast a spell automatically while wearing armour. :( With a -95 penalty to my static action, and a +22 in Transcend Armour, for now I won't cast any spells.

The paladin prepares for combat with the Harpies.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on January 28, 2019, 01:38:36 AM
Yarlaganda

scrapes the stone with the haft of his spear, making a large unseen "X."

I feel very far from the Desert, he thinks again, But perhaps not too far for Her to hear me.

He closes his eyes and whistles, the way the elders of his tribe taught him, years ago across the Zagros.

OOC: Yarlaganda casts Summon Guardian.  If there is any time left in the round he will retreat to the doorway.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on January 30, 2019, 05:59:58 AM
Barrow:  I think this is the first time you've actually cast this spell with combat so imminent.  It's -45 to your roll to cast it this round, but good news, you succeed with a total adjusted roll of 61 (for those unfamiliar with RMFRP's Static Spell Maneuver table, see the above; you can succeed with a much lower roll than on other RM tables).

This action took 75% of your round.  You've got 106.9 feet to cover to join your group.  Even dashing, you won't quite make it.  How fast do you want to move away?  Anything faster than 3x your base movement (20 ft./round) would require a moving maneuver check.  Keep in mind that you've also only 25% of your round left.

At maximum speed (without a moving maneuver) you could run (2x) and cover a total of 10 feet.

Narrative
While the rest of the party retreats, the ranger pauses to summon a mystical guardian.  He then begins to retreat towards the rest of the party.

As the party heads for the black hole of the empty door socket, an ugly, humanoid being covered in matted brown hair and possessing red, pupil-less eyes dashes from the doorway and past Yarlaganda.

Anyone passing basic a Demon Lore or Religion Lore roll knows this creature is a Lahmum (OB. "Hairy One") an ugly, violent demon -- yet one who is invoked to protect humans against the predations of other monsters.  He stands over the X that Yarlaganda made with the spear and barks at the advancing creatures.

The harpies arrive this round at the place where the Lahmum is posturing.  Two of them will land, with a third hovering above.  Next round, the rest of them will move the intervening 106.9 feet to attack the rest of the party (or Yarlaganda if he's straggling).

Action declarations for Round One, gentlemen?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on January 31, 2019, 02:50:56 AM
Klumenos

Klumenos will prepare to face the harpies with shield and spear, but will be ready to charge out to aid Yarlaganda if he needs help.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on January 31, 2019, 12:52:06 PM
I mumble under my breath "Harpies, why did it have to be harpies?" as I prepare to attack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 31, 2019, 02:44:34 PM
Murdus

"Ummm..." he says as the *possibly demon* rushes past him out of the doorway he'd been heading too.

Thinking that either the creature had either
1. Ignored him.
2. Been Blind
or the most unlikely option
3. Murdus had spectacularly succeeded in a hitherto unknown talent for spontaneously becoming invisible.

Probably comes to the conclusion that it's only a figment of his imagination.

... He hesitates before then declining to (probably fail) strike at this *figment* as it passed.

Although now wary that another *might* appear from the same place.. quickly shakes his head, disbelieves it and decides instead to pursue his previous plan. To shelter in the doorway trying to discern what lies beyond.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on January 31, 2019, 05:13:03 PM
OOC:  To keep things moving I will post actions as if Yarlaganda make it to the door without needing assistance.


Klumenos


Will attack fully with his spear and use his shield for defense (DB = 43)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on January 31, 2019, 06:21:58 PM
Lahwi-Addu

will attack one of the Harpies.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on February 02, 2019, 11:33:01 AM
Yarlaganda

seeing the Desert answered his call, will turn and stand his ground behind the Lahmum demon. He’ll use the balance of his turn on total defense... and wait to return to the doorway next turn. If there is a next turn for him.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on February 05, 2019, 05:05:07 AM
Klumenos

Staring at the demonic creature that appears to be aiding them, Klumenos thinks, The next time I am in a major city, I need to spend some time to study the occult creatures, as there are obviously far more than I had ever given thought too.  He hopes that the hairy beast can shoot lances of flame from its mouth or petrifaction rays from its eyes, because he fears a gorilla does not stand much chance against the winged she devils, otherwise.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on February 05, 2019, 06:02:50 AM
Round One, Against the Harpies
Initiative Order
29. Lahwi-Addu
28. Lahmum
20. Klumenos
15. Yarlaganda
15. Indattu-Inšušniak
11.  Nur-ili
10. Murdus
6. Harpies

Snap Phase (20%) and Harpy Movement
Seven of the harpies (H4-H7) fly to intercept the rest of the party, while the other three (H1-H3) stay to fight Yarlaganda and the summoned demon.  Their base flying speed is 90 feet/round.  They can move up to 4x this distance in a round with a Light MM.  They must cover 107 feet to get to the rest of you this round.  H4-H7 will attempt that now.

Harpy 4
Roll -22 +20 MM Bonus = -2
30% of 360 feet this round for 108 feet this round.

Harpy 5
Roll 25 + 20 MM Bonus = 45
70% of 360 feet this round for 252 this round.  The harpy has to have 60% of its round left if it wants to attack this round, but it can't quite make it and still have an opportunity to attack.

Harpy 6
Roll 26 + 20 MM Bonus = 46
70% of 360 feet this round for 252 this round.  The harpy has to have 60% of its round left if it wants to attack this round, but it can't quite make it and still have an opportunity to attack.

Harpy 7
Roll 161 + 20 MM Bonus  = 181
130% of 360 feet moved.  The happy can move 468 feet this round, but she just needs 107.  She reaches the party before the end of the snap phase, and will attack during deliberate with a -19 penalty.

Harpy 8
Roll 60 + 20 MM Bonus = 80
100% of 360 moved. Like Harpy 6, harpy 8 reaches you quick enough, but doesn't have enough of her action left to attack.

Harpy 9
Roll 85 + 20 MM Bonus = 105
100% of 360 moved. Like Harpies 6 and 8, harpy 9 reaches you quick enough, but doesn't have enough of her action left to attack.

Harpy 10
Roll 8 + 20 MM Bonus = 28
60% of 360 feet moved.  She gets there, but again, not enough action left to attack this round.

Snap Narrative:
Three of the harpies hang back to attack Yarlaganda and the demon.  The other seven wing their way forward.
Harpy 4 is the slowest of the bunch, and takes the whole round just to make it to your positions. Harpies 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 move much faster, but still can't reach you with enough time to attack.  Harpy 7, the quickest of the bunch, lashes out at Lahwi-Addu.

Like Harpy 3, Harpies 4 and 10 will hover, while the others remain poised to attack.

Deliberate Phase
Lahwi Addu attacks H7 with his axe
Roll 57 + 119 OB + 15 Axe + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 161
Result: 23 Hits, "E" Critical
Crit. Roll: 22
Result: +3 hits, 1 bleed, -10 penalty.
Narrative: The paladin delivers a mighty blow with his axe, but while he wounds H7, the creature is still in the fight.

The lahmum bites H1
Roll 37 + 90 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 97
Result: 14 hits, "AP" Critical
Crit. Roll: 31
Result: +2 hits, must parry one round, +10 next attack

Klumenos jabs at H5
Roll 32 + 72 +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 74
Result: Miss!

Yarlaganda plays defense.

Indattu attacks H6
Ambush Roll 55 + 115 Skill = 170
Result: Success! +26 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 68 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 142
Result: 13 hits, "E" Critical
Crit. Roll: 95+26
Result: You stab H6 in the eye and kills her instantly.  +25 to your next attack!

Nur-ili will cast Shock Bolt at H4
Roll 47 + 17 DS skill -40 DB = 24
Result: Miss!

Murdus's Demon Lore
Roll -46 +2 Skill = 44
Result:  You fail so badly, you think you may have forgotten a few more things in the process.
Murdus's Religion Lore
Roll 77 +44 Skill = 111
Result: That's more like it.  Murdus recalls that while many demons are inimical to humans, a few are well respected by the temples and priests.  The harpies, however, are often seen among the "bad" demons, and you know that it's taboo among many Babylonians to depict them in art.

Harpy 1 must parry this round.

Harpy 2 attacks Yarlaganda
Roll 81 +30 OB -96 Parry - 10 Armor -30 DB = -25
Result: Miss!

Harpy 3's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell)
Roll 88 + 50 spell = 138
Result: Spell is cast.
Lahmum's RR 26 +30 = Pass (Needed 50)
Harpy 3 attempts to paralyze the Lahmum with her shriek, but the demon resists.

OOC: I apologize for any weird formatting issues in advance.  I had to do this on an iPad.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on February 12, 2019, 12:16:47 PM
With the battle in my blood I go to attack the nearest harpy.

Initiative

Rolled 1d100 : 75, total 75
Rolled 1d100+25 : 100 + 25, total 125

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on February 12, 2019, 12:17:56 PM
OOC
The first roll is intended to be my initiative.
The second roll is my attack.  Full OB.  One question.  Should there be another open ended roll to my attack?  Just incase the answer is yes:

Rolled 1d100 : 53, total 53
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on February 12, 2019, 07:15:00 PM
Initiative is 2d10.  I’ll take the first two rolls as attack and then critical.  There’s no high or low OE results for criticals, but 100 is guaranteed insta-death for your opponent on a critical, so good job, your murder streak continues!

So give me a 2d10 for your initiative.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on February 12, 2019, 10:52:37 PM
How about this roll:

Rolled 2d10 : 2, 3, total 5
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on February 21, 2019, 12:59:57 AM
Yarlaganda

feels exposed out in the open. He will stay close to the demon and defend himself for now.

OOC: Yarlaganda will fully parry this round.

I am VERY sorry for the extended absence guys. I'll try to do better about keeping up.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on February 21, 2019, 06:39:36 AM
No problem Barrow!  We all get busy sometimes.  I really wish I could rely on the email notification system, but it's been spotty for the past few months.

(https://i.imgur.com/aW8vfsi.jpg)

Round Two, Against the Harpies
Initiative Order
28. Lahwi-Addu
27. Lahmum
17. Klumenos
15. Nur-ili
13. Indattu-Inšušniak
13. Harpies
12. Murdus

Deliberate Phase
Lahwi Addu attacks H7 with his axe
Roll 49 + 119 OB + 15 Axe + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 153
Result: 23 Hits, "E" Slash Critical
Crit. Roll: 1
Result: +3 hits.
Narrative: The paladin delivers a mighty blow with his axe, and H7 perishes from concussion hits.

The Lahmum bites H1 again.
Roll 41 + 90 OB + 10 Deliberate +10 bonus from success last round -40 DB = 111
Result: 19 hits, "BP" Critical
Crit. Roll: 55
Result: +3 hits, 2 bleed, must parry two rounds.

Klumenos slashes at H5
Roll 71 + 72 +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 113
Result: 14 Hits, "B" Slash Critical
Crit. Roll: 27
Result:  +2 Hits, must parry 1 round at -20.

Nur-ili fires another Shock Bolt, this time at H9.
Roll 27 + 17 DS skill -40 DB = 4
Result:  Miss!

Indattu attacks H8
Ambush Roll 53 + 115 Skill = 168
Result: Success! +26 to Crit.  (This promises to be messy!)
Attack Roll: 75 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate +25 from your last attack -40 DB = 174
Result: 13 hits, "E" Puncture Critical
Crit. Roll: 100+26 = Murder.
Result:  Another foe dispatched through the eye, and again, you score +25 to your next attack.  You're getting good at this.

Harpy 1 must parry this round.

Harpy 2 attacks Yarlaganda
Roll 33 +30 OB -96 Parry - 10 Armor -30 DB = -73
Result: Miss!

Harpy 3's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Lahmum
Roll 27 + 50 spell = 77
Result: Spell is cast.
Lahmum's RR 1 +30 = Pass (Needed 50)
Result: Fail.
Harpy 3 stuns the Lahmum for one round.

Harpy 4's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Nur-ili
Roll 16 + 50 spell = 66
Result: Spell is cast.
Nur-ili's RR 85 +39 = 124
Result: Pass (Needed 50)
The astrologer effortlessly shrugs off the effect of the harpy's voice.

Harpy 5 must parry this round.

Harpy 6 is quite dead.

Harpy 7 is also dead.

Harpy 8 is dead as well.

Harpy 9 attacks Nur-ili.
Roll 1 = Fumble
Fumble Roll: Must attack another foe next round.

Harpy 10's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Indattu
Roll 82 + 50 spell = 132
Result: Spell is cast.
Indattu's RR 96 +3 = 99
Result: Pass (Needed 45)

Narrative:  The harpies' attack is met by the party.  At the end of round 2, three harpies (H6, H7, H8) lay dead, while another is wounded (H5) and another (H1) is back on her heels for the time being.  H3, H4, and H10 all attempt to stun their opponents with their horrible shrieks.  Only the summoned Lahmum succumbs, and he's stunned next round.

"Intruders!  Living men!" you hear H4 say to H10 in an archaic dialect of Akkadian.  After Indattu shrugs off H10's spell, H10 responds, "Not for long!"

(https://i.imgur.com/F2MGKG6.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 21, 2019, 01:33:37 PM
Murdus


Seeing nothing of note about the entrance he turns to see the near wall of allies behind him... and that the Harpies assault has split the party, Murdus makes a tricky decision.

He prepares his sling...  and will try and hit one of the Harpies that is holding back.. or if he thinks he can, one of the three hovering around Yarlanga or the demon..

============

Treat as Opportunity Attack in Deliberate. He's trying to hit one that's not got a cover bonus from an ally. So, if they are flying.. probably one of those..

LOL He's got +6 with Sling.... ;) 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on February 21, 2019, 03:25:13 PM
Yarlaganda

seeing the Lahmum recoil from the harpy shriek, leaps into action with his sword. He’ll attack Harpy 2, who just took a swipe at him.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Kantron on February 22, 2019, 02:03:05 PM
My next roll

Rolled 2d10 : 5, 5, total 10
Rolled 2d100 : 24, 18, total 42

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 23, 2019, 09:50:46 AM
Lahwi-Addu

will attack the Harpy #10, meanwhile shouting to the beast, "We seek no harm, peace!"

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on February 26, 2019, 05:01:20 AM
Round Three, Against the Harpies

OOC:  Kantron, you rolled twice this round.  Without considering what they are (I haven’t gotten to that point yet, but I will before I finish writing this post) I’m going to take your first set of rolls in the Dice thread as your Initiative, Attack, and Critical.  I’ll use the first d100 you made in this thread as your Ambush.  From now on, it’s best to use the Dice thread, and make sure you give me an Ambush roll between your initiative and attack rolls.  (I’m assuming you want to use Ambush, since it’s the primary reason your attacks are so terribly lethal!)

(https://i.imgur.com/Tp9SU52.jpg)

Initiative Order
25. Lahwi-Addu
25. Yarlganda
23. Lahmum
20. Klumenos
19.  Indattu
14. Murdus
5. Harpies
5. Astrologer

Snap Phase
Lahwi moves 5 feet to intercept Harpy 10.  The harpy hovers only 5 feet above the ground, so he shouldn’t have any trouble hitting it.  This uses 2% of his round, so a -2 to his attack roll (like it matters).

Deliberate Phase
Lahwi-Addu attacks H10 with his axe
Roll 30 + 119 OB + 15 Axe + 10 Deliberate -40 DB -2 Movement = 132
Result: 19 Hits, “D” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll: 100
Result: +12 Hits.  You slash through the harpy’s ribs, and kill her instantly!
Narrative: Whether or not he meant harm, harm occurred.

Yarlaganda attacks Harpy 2
Roll -85 +81 Skill -30 to Parry +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -40 DB = -49
Result: Miss!
Narrative:  Well, at least you didn’t put everything you had into this attack.

The Lahmum will shrug off the effects of the harpy’s stun at the end of this round.

Klumenos slashes at H5
Roll 39 + 72 +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 81
Result: Miss!

Indattu attacks H9
Ambush Roll 24 + 115 Skill = 139
Result: Success! +26 to Crit.
Attack Roll: -15 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate +25 from your last attack -40 DB = 84
Result: 6 hits, no critical.
Narrative:  Your momentum from your last attack carried through to this one, and lucky thing — your strike was poorly timed, but you still managed to score a hit.

Murdus sling-flings a stone at Harpy 4.
Attack Roll: 72 + 6 OB +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 48
Result:  Miss!

Harpy 1 must parry this round.  She’s not looking too well.

Harpy 2 attacks Yarlaganda
Roll 48 +30 OB + 10 Deliberate -30 Parry -10 Armor -30 DB = 18
Result: Miss!

Harpy 3's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Lahmum
Roll 110 + 50 spell = 160
Result: Absolute Success.  Spell is cast, +10 on next spell casting.
Lahmum's RR 11 +30 = 41 (Needed 50)
Result: Fail.
Harpy 3 stuns the Lahmum for another round.

Harpy 4's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Nur-ili
Roll 15+ 50 spell = 65
Result: Spell is cast.
Nur-ili's RR 18 +39 = 57
Result: Pass (Needed 50)
Once again, the astrologer shrugs off the harpy’s spell.

Harpy 5 attacks Klumenos
Roll 31 +30 OB +10 Deliberate -10 Armor -32 DB -20 Shield = 9
Result: Miss!

Harpy 9 attacks Indattu.
Roll 38 +30 OB +10 Deliberate -10 Armor -19 DB = 49
Result:  Miss!

Harpy 10 is deceased.

Nur-ili fires another Shock Bolt, this time at H4.
Roll 66 + 17 DS skill -40 DB = 43
Result:  Miss!
(OOC: I temporarily forgot that UM 66 rolls don’t matter for directed spell attacks.  Bummer, I was really looking forward to things going haywire for him.  What a waste of a perfectly good UM 66!)

(https://i.imgur.com/70ikSv1.jpg)

Next turn, Harpy 4 is going to land and move in to attack Lahwi.  Also, as a reminder, H1 is still forced to parry next round as well.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on February 26, 2019, 08:48:51 AM
Lahwi-Addu

The paladin contemplated his fellows' low strikes againat the Harpies, but they were making it. "Spirits up, men, we're downing them!" With that said he moved to engage a Harpy that flew against him.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on February 26, 2019, 01:04:59 PM
Yarlaganda

The Gutian changes tacts, and goes after injured Harpy 1.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 26, 2019, 04:33:09 PM
Murdus

Inspired by the Paladins' comment he slots another stone in the sling, but this time licks his finger puts it in the air, judges for the *possibly lack of* wind and prepares to take another shot.... "perhaps it would help if I closed my eyes and stood on one leg..?"

==========
He will and attempt to hit *anything* that has wings... deliberately. *sigh*
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on February 26, 2019, 08:11:31 PM
Klumenos

Seeing the paladin having no issue hitting his harpy with a melee weapon he assesses if his foe too is hovering low enough to permit a switch to the Kopis/short sword.  If so, he will take the time to switch weapons while using his shield for defense.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 03, 2019, 08:18:36 AM
Lahwi-Addu, 5th round, rolling for Initiative; To Hit; and Critical,

+119 OB+15 Axe+10Deliberate-40 DB = 104

Rolled 2d10+14 : 6, 9 + 14, total 29
Rolled 1d100+104 : 56 + 104, total 160
Rolled 1d100 : 75, total 75
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on March 06, 2019, 03:51:49 AM
Just X, the harpy’s screech attack has a limited range of 10 feet, so (thanks again Pythagoras!) they’re only hovering 5’ above the ground so they can reach the back row.  So you can switch.  Per Table 3.2 on p. 39 of RMFRP, it will take 50% of your action this round, which means no attack.  Confirm if this is what you want to do.

DW, now I think you’re the one who rolled twice!  Without comparing the rolls, I’m going to follow the approach I took with Kantron above, and use the first set chronologically.

I’ll go ahead and make the NPC rolls, while we wait for Kantron and Just X.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 06, 2019, 10:34:17 AM
Yes, sorry Enheduanna, it seems that I rolled twice, and a darn good roll it was to waste. :lol:
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on March 07, 2019, 02:14:37 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos uses his shield for defense and switches from his spear to his short sword/Kopris.  I might not get a chance to attack this round but I am far better with the Kopis than the spear, so hopefully it will more than makeup for it next round.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on March 09, 2019, 06:27:35 AM
Round Four, Against the Harpies

Initiative Order
0. Klumenos
0.  Nur-ili
0. Lahmum
28. Lahwi-Addu
22. Indattu
22. Yarlaganda
13. Murdus
10. Harpies

Deliberate Phase:
Klumenos switches weapons.

Nur-ili spends the round preparing a spell.

Lahwi-Addu attacks H4 with his axe
Roll 13 + 119 OB + 15 Axe + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 117
Result: 15 Hits, “B” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll: 45
Result: +2 Hits, 1 round forced parry.
Narrative:  The paladin strikes harpy 4 in the shin, and she scrambles the rest of this round.

Indattu attacks H9
Ambush Roll 70 + 115 Skill = 185
Result: Absolute Success! +31 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 59 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 133
Result: 12 Hts, “D” Puncture Critical
Crit. Roll 30 + 31 = 61
Result:  + 3 Hits, Stunned 2 rounds, 3 Bleed, -10 Penalty
Narrative:  The wily assassin redoubles his efforts and deals a cruel wound to harpy 9’s arm.

Yarlaganda attacks Harpy 1
Roll 54 +81 Skill -30 to Parry +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 90
Result: 10 Hits, “A” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll:  55
Result:  +2 Hits, 1 Bleed, 1 round forced parry at -25.
Narrative:  Cut to the harpy’s chest drops her.  She’s taken too many hits.

Murdus flings his sling at harpy 9.
Attack Roll: 89 + 6 OB +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 65
Result:  Miss!
Narrative:  So close!  The harpy definitely felt a breeze.

Harpy 1 dies before she can act.

Harpy 2 attacks Yarlaganda
Roll 68 +30 OB + 10 Deliberate -30 Parry -10 Armor -30 DB = 38
Result: Miss!

Harpy 3's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Lahmum
Roll 56 + 50 spell + 10 from last round success = 116
Result: Spell is cast normally.
Lahmum's RR 41 +30 = 71 (Needs 50)
Result: Success.
The Lahmum resists another stun attack from the harpy’s shriek.

Harpy 4 must parry this round.

Harpy 5 attacks Klumenos
Roll 79 +30 OB +10 Deliberate -10 Armor -20 Shield = 89
Result: 6 Hits, “BT” Critical.
Crit. Roll:  +3 Hits, 1 round parry.
Narrative:  While Klumenos switches his weapons, the harpy slashes at his face.  He’s forced back a round.

Harpy 9 is stunned.

(https://i.imgur.com/qtjIT1t.jpg)

Summary:  Another harpy falls, this time to the Gutian.  Harpies 4 and 9 were stunned this round, but Harpy 4 will have recovered by next round.  While Klumenos switches weapons, harpy 5 scores a lucky hit — he’ll have to parry next round.  The astrologer is preparing to cast some new spell, while the Lahmum shrugs off the effects of the harpy’s voice, and doesn’t succumb to it again.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on March 09, 2019, 12:43:19 PM
Klumenos


Having switched to the Korpis, now must wipe the blood from his eyes before being able to attack the she devil.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on March 09, 2019, 03:59:25 PM
Yarlaganda

roars from his throat and turns his attentions back to Harpy 2. He'll attack with his sword.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 13, 2019, 06:08:09 PM
Lahwi-Addu

"Where do you come from? Who's your master?" Lahwi-Addu shouted in defiance.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on March 18, 2019, 05:15:34 AM
Round Five, Against the Harpies

Initiative Order
0. Klumenos
27. Lahmum
24. Lahwi-Addu
19. Yarlaganda
14. Murdus
13. Indattu-Inšušinak
10. Harpies
8. Nur-ili

Snap Phase
The Summoned Lahmum steps five feet forward to deal with H3.

Harpy 4 shrieks at Lahwi-Addu in response, “Lamaštum!”  The paladin knows that this is the most powerful demoness in existence, and that even the gods fear her.

Deliberate Phase

(https://i.imgur.com/n3MX5Ob.jpg)

The Lahmum attacks H3.
Roll 15 + 90 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 75
Result: 4 Hits.

Lahwi-Addu attacks H4 with his axe
Roll 71 + 119 OB + 15 Axe + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 175
Result: 23 Hits, “E” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll: 52
Result: +6 Hits, 2 rounds stun, 4 bleed, -10 Penalty
Narrative:  The paladin deals a cruel chest wound to the harpy.  She’s staggered and bleeding profusely, and judging by the amount of black blood flowing from her wound, she might not last another round.

Yarlaganda attacks Harpy 2
Roll 63 +81 Skill -30 to Parry +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 99
Result: 11 Hits, “B” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll:  71
Result: +6 Hits, 3 rounds stun, 1 round no parry, -40 Penalty
Narrative:  The Gutian’s sword shaves a hunk out of the harpy’s leg.  She’s stunned.

Murdus flings his sling at harpy 9.
Attack Roll: 2
Result:  Fumble!  Your ammo rolls out of your sling.

Indattu attacks H9
Ambush Roll 76 + 115 Skill = 191
Result: Absolute Success! +31 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 51 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate +20 Opponent Stunned -40 DB = 145
Result: 13 Hts, “E” Puncture Critical
Crit. Roll 40 + 31 = 71
Result:  3 Rounds Stun, No Parry, -75 Penalty.
Narrative:  The assassin stabs the harpy clear through her leg, and wrenches his blade free.  The monster grabs the wound, and stumbles.

Harpy 2 is Stunned.

Harpy 3's Paralyzing Voice (as Stunning Spell) at Lahmum
Roll 20 + 50 spell = 70
Result: Spell is cast normally.
Lahmum's RR 74 +30 = 104 (Needs 50)
Result: Success.
The furious Lahmum shrugs off another blast of the harpy’s stun.

On her turn, Harpy 4 collapses, dead from blood loss.

Harpy 5 attacks Klumenos
Roll 73 +30 OB +10 Deliberate -72 Parry -10 Armor -20 Shield = 11
Result: Miss!
Narrative:  Forced to fight defensively, the foreigner has no trouble fending off the harpy’s fierce attack.

Harpy 9 is stunned.

Nur-ili casts Voice of Fear on harpy 5.
Roll 86 + 42 spell -10 Rushed Casting = 118
Result (on Basic Spell Attack Table) -125 to Harpy’s RR
Harpy 5’s RR:  Roll 55 -125 Attack Mod = -70
Result:  Harpy succumbs.
Narrative:  It worked once before, so the astrologer again chants his Utukku lemnu, duppir ina pānīšu song, just as he did against the were-men.  Harpy 5 suddenly locks eyes with Klumenos, and the foreigner sees the terror there.  (She’s going to attempt to bolt next round during the snap phase).

(https://i.imgur.com/iKLJ0s4.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on March 18, 2019, 06:50:07 PM
Yarlaganda

senses he has the advantage over Harpy 2, and presses his attack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 19, 2019, 02:04:39 AM
Lahwi-Addu

“Lamaštum!” the Amorite exclaimed in distress. He looked at the Astrologer's face to see his reaction. (The paladin will make a religion check to help determine if the demoness is directly involved in this affair.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on March 19, 2019, 02:42:34 AM
Klumenos

Hearing the astrologers chant and seeing the look of fear in the eyes of the Harpy and having seem similar effect with the Jacklewares, Klumenos decides on a risky tactic.  He grabs for the Harpy's chicken leg.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 19, 2019, 07:55:13 AM
Murdus

sighs... "Perhaps it would help if I just threw it?" he says bemoaning his ineptness. Puts away the sling, grasps his spear and turns once again to see what he can see through the portal...
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on March 25, 2019, 06:02:47 AM
Round Six, Against the Harpies
Initiative Order
25. Klumenos
24. Indattu-Inšušinak
22. Lahmum
21. Yarlaganda
10 Harpies
0. Murdus
0. Lahwi-Addu
0. Nur-ili

Klumenos attempts to grab the frightened harpy
(OOC:  I’m going to treat this as Tackling, since that’s the closest analogue to what you’re attempting.  This is a Martial Arts - Striking skill.  Klumenos’s category bonus is 33, but he has no ranks in Tackling, so with the -15 penalty, that’s a +18)
Roll 70 + 18 OB +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 58
Result:  Miss!
Narrative:  The Minoan makes a desperate grab for the harpy’s leg, but she slips through his grasp.

Indattu attacks harpy 9.
Ambush Roll 72 + 115 Skill = 187
Result: Absolute Success! +31 to Crit.
Attack Roll: 83 + 89 OB + 15 Dagger +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 157
Result: 13 Hts, “E” Puncture Critical
Crit. Roll 21 + 31 = 52
Result:  +5 Hits, 1 round Stun, 1 round No Parry, -10 Penalty
Narrative:  The assassin strikes harpy 9’s leg, and she dies of hits.

The Lahmum attacks H3.
Roll 105 + 90 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 165
Result: 28 Hits, “BP” Critical
Crit. Roll: 45
Result:  +2 Hits, 1 bleed.
Narrative:  With a yelp, the hairy humanoid take a bite out of the harpy’s arm.

Yarlaganda attacks Harpy 2
Roll 31 +81 Skill +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 97
Result: 11 Hits, “B” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll:  18
Result: +2 Hits, +1 Round Must Parry, -10 Penalty
Narrative: The Gutian carves another slice off of the harpy.  She’s not enjoying this.

Harpy 2 is stunned, and badly wounded.

Harpy 3 lashes out at the Lahmum:
Roll 44 +30 OB +10 Deliberate -30 DB = 54
Result: Miss!

Harpy 5 takes flight and flees.  She’ll be 270 feet away from you by the start of next round.

Murdus takes his spear up.  The dim, diffuse light of the underworld partially lights the room on the other side of the portal.  It appears to be another large inner gate chamber, much like the one the party passed through to find the stairway.  It seems similarly devoid of anything of note.

Lahwi-Addu wonders at the presence of the demoness Lamaštum:
Roll 65 + 41 Skill +20 Easy = 126
Result:  Absolute Success
Narrative:  The paladin takes a moment to consider the harpies.  Could their “mother” be present here?  You’re doubtful.  While she might be a mother to demonic creatures such as these, Lamaštum is a solitary presence, and you can’t recall any instance where she’s been preceded or accompanied by minions such as these.  Even her connection to the underworld is tenuous; the demoness hates mankind, and preys upon the world of the living.  She’s most frequently encountered in the wastes, or at lonely, uncharted springs, or at crossroads in the middle of the night.  You can breathe a sigh of relief.

Nur-ili feels that he has done his part in this conflict, and chooses to save his energies for later.

(https://i.imgur.com/4ePqIzK.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on March 25, 2019, 09:32:14 PM
Klumenos


Kluemnos curses his luck, figuring given their location better than than any godHe hates to think that the harpy will get away, to warn whoever it is she will, but knows that she would be out of bow range by the time he changed weapons again.  Looking at the departing harpy, and seeing that Yarlaganda and his summoned friend appear to have the situation under control, he says, "Nur-Ili, how close is your hidden treasure, it appears our presence here is known and therefore, I would like to depart as quickly as possible."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on March 27, 2019, 10:20:20 PM
Yarlaganda

takes another hack at Harpy 2.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on March 28, 2019, 12:08:25 AM
Lahwi-Addu

will try an attack on a remaining Harpy for round #7.

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on March 31, 2019, 03:17:00 AM
Round Seven, Against the Harpies
Initiative Order
25. Lahmum
24. Yarlaganda
22. Lahwi-Addu
13 Harpies

The Lahmum attacks H3.
Roll 92 + 90 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 DB = 152
Result: 23 Hits, “DP” Critical
Crit. Roll: 90
Result:  +9 Hits, dead from concussion hits.
With a bark, the feral demon tears a hunk out of the skinny harpy’s side.  She looked like she was going to flee, but never had the chance.

Yarlaganda attacks Harpy 2
Roll 51 +81 Skill +15 Sword +10 Deliberate -40 DB = 117
Result: 15 Hits, “C” Slash Critical
Crit. Roll: 5
Result:  +1 Hits; Death from concussion damage.
With a swat from his sword, the Gutian ends the fight.

— —

In response to Klumenos’s question, Nur-ili stammers, “In-inside.  Past the gate chamber, there’s two chambers, then a hallway.  There’s a kind of archive off of the hallway.  I stashed it there.”

The fleeing harpy wings her way away from the party.  Her course carries her around the edge of the ziqqurat, and out of sight.  The scenery around you remains unchanged.  For a moment, it is eerily quiet, then the silence is broken by the Lahmum beginning to devour the remains of his kill.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on March 31, 2019, 09:27:27 AM
Yarlaganda

makes the proper gestures of gratitute for Mother Desert, who has graciously heeded his call once again.

“You have our thanks, oh ancient and fierce one,” he says to the Lahmum, head inclined in respect. He’ll search his own kill for anything of use, then drag the corpse over to the Lahmum.

He’ll then make scratches in the dirt to release the Lahmum from the spot, so it may leave when it wishes. Then he’ll rejoin the group.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on March 31, 2019, 09:56:19 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos searches his things for his lamp and adds a bit of oil and lights the lamp. 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on April 04, 2019, 02:37:17 AM
When Yarlaganda drags the corpse over to the Lahmum, the demon looks up for a moment and yelps, as if to show his gratitude.  He’ll finish devouring his kill, and then move on to the body the Gutian brought him.

Peering into the doorway by the light of his lamp, Klumenos confirms that the doorway is empty, and that there’s a larger room beyond.  The bricks of the floor appear to have once been covered by a yellow lacquer, but it’s peeling and faded, much like the red-lacquered bricks the party encountered in the first set of rooms.

The astrologer surveys the world “outside” of the doorway, and stares up at vaguely luminous clouds far above.  He seems to shiver.  “I don’t like not being able to see the sky,” he says.  “Can we move on?”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on April 04, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
Yarlaganda

also feels uneasy. And he feels the absence of his bonded steed actutely. It is not right, being this far from Gamesh for this long.

But he does not complain, like the astrologer. He rejoins the group and peers over their shoulders into the room inside. He’ll follow them, bringing up the rear and keeping watchful for attacks from behind.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on April 04, 2019, 03:16:19 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos says to the astrologer, Lead on, please."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on April 09, 2019, 04:14:54 AM
The party moves through the large vacant gatehouse room and into a large (300' by 300') room that appears to have once been similar to the earlier room with the Šēdū statues.  However, the most noticeable difference with this room is that some kind of catastrophic event has caused a gigantic rift in the floor.

The side of the room nearest to your entrance tilts at a sharp angle which falls to the southeast corner, so that at its most extreme point, it's 50' below the level of the even part of the floor.

Through the gap, you can only see a dark void -- presumably into the rooms on the level below you.

On the other side of the rift, the floor is level, so that it would be an easy Climbing maneuver to climb towards the northeast corner, and then cross over via the northern side of the room.

There were once two Šēdū statues here in the middle of the room, but both of them lie tumbled and broken on the floor.

The astrologer points to the upper door on the other side of the room from your entrance.  "Through there," he says.  "We're close."

(https://i.imgur.com/j5mYBnK.jpg)

OOC:  You entered from the eastern entrance.  I have zero artistic talent, and this is a really hard thing to depict.  The gap is what's important, and the way that the floor drops down in the bottom corner.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 09, 2019, 05:34:58 PM
To get us to the upper door indicated by the astrologer, we avoid the rift right, Enheduanna?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on April 10, 2019, 01:49:59 AM
Klumenos


Handing his lamp to Murdas, Klumenos will move as quietly as possible following the east wall to the right up to the corner and then head north along the wall opposite the rift to the door in the middle of that wall. (coming through the east entrance turns right to corner then left to door in middle of that wall.)  He is most concerned about approaching the doorway quietly.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on April 14, 2019, 05:13:27 AM
DW:  Yes.  That seems like the best path.  The astrologer wants you to go to the most northern door of the two doors on the western side.

Just X: Klumenos's Stalking Attempt: Success!  You glide through the shadows towards the northern door.  You're beyond the scope of the lamp you handed to Murdus, and so you can see nothing beyond the doorway.  The place is as silent as a tomb.

(https://i.imgur.com/grD7SmM.jpg)

By now, everyone has noticed a faint breeze which issues from the rift in the floor, and seems to pass around the group through the door by which you entered.  It carries a stale odor.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 14, 2019, 08:56:54 AM
Lahwi-Addu

"Better not mess with the beasts of the underground," said the Amorite. "Let's be quick in passing this floor."
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on April 14, 2019, 03:22:21 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos will wait at the door for the light to catch up with him so he can see around the door jamb
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on April 14, 2019, 04:56:44 PM
Yarlaganda

doesn’t like the large chasm. He’ll follow Klumenos, but keep himself in a position between the crack and the rest of the party as much as he can.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 15, 2019, 05:19:31 AM
Murdus

Keeping the wall on his right within reach he slowly makes his way right to the corner and then up to the next door..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on April 17, 2019, 03:37:06 AM
All of the PCs except Klumenos feel like they're being watched by something in the crack in the floor.

Hiding Attempt v. Murdus
Roll 71 + 60 Hiding/Darkness Mod. -33 PC's Alertness Skill = 98
Result: Near Success.

Hiding Attempt v. Yarlaganda
Roll 71 + 60 Hiding/Darkness Mod. -38 PC's Alertness Skill = 93
Result: Near Success.

Hiding Attempt v. Indattu
Roll 71 + 60 Hiding/Darkness Mod. -23 PC's Alertness Skill= 108
Result: Near Success.

Hiding Attempt v. Lahwi-Addu
Roll 71 + 60 Hiding/Darkness Mod. -36 PC's Alertness Skill= 95
Result: Near Success.

Hiding Attempt v. Klumenos
Roll 71 + 60 Hiding/Darkness Mod. -13 PC's Alertness Skill= 118
Result: Success.

The rest of the group catches up to Klumenos, where he waits by the north door.  As the light penetrates the hallway, you see a corridor with an open doorway on the left further down.  The walls of the corridor are lined with weathered bas reliefs of humanoid figures, and a long band of writing.

(https://i.imgur.com/t80CAwL.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 17, 2019, 11:32:18 PM
Lahwi-Addu

gives a try at reading the inscriptions in the walls.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on April 18, 2019, 12:21:05 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos will also take a look at the writing and see if he can make out what it says.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on April 20, 2019, 07:30:19 AM
The text is poorly persevered.  Someone who reads Sumerian can understand the following bits and pieces:

[unug ki ] e2 ?-an-na mu-[...]
She abandoned Unug and the Eana temple and went down to the netherworld,
zabalam ki gi-gun x (ZE2 ?)-na [...]
She abandoned Zabalam and the sacred terrace and went down to the netherworld,
nibru ki barag-dur2 -ĝar-ra mu-[...]
She abandoned Nibru and the Ebaragduryara temple and went down to the netherworld,
urim2 ki e2-dilmun-na ki  [...]
She abandoned Urim and the Edilmuna temple and went down to the netherworld,
x-xki-a? e2 -x-x [...]
She abandoned ... and the ... temple and went down to the netherworld,
...
umma ki  e2-ib?-[...]
She abandoned Umma and the Eibgal temple and went down to the netherworld
adab ki e2 -sar-ra [...]
She abandoned Adab and the Esara temple and went down to the netherworld
a-ga-de3 ki e2 -ul-maš [...]
She abandoned Agade and the Eulmaš temple and went down to the netherworld
kiš ki -a e2-hur-saĝ-[...]
She abandoned Kiš and the Ehursaĝkalama temple and went down to the netherworld

Even without a religion roll, Lahwi-Addu knows many of the places are temples of the goddess Ištar (but a successful religion roll might get you more information).

Further on down this side:
e?-ne ga?-ra-ab?-dug4 ga-mu-[...]
I want to speak a word(?) with you, I want to ...
a-a-ĝu10 an ma-an-ze2 ? il2 -la2 il2 -[...] dalla bi2 -x-[...]
My father gave heaven to me, (saying?) "Raise, raise ...!"(?) ... he made ... shine
uĝ3 saĝ-gig2-ga an ma-an-ze2 ?-x [...] na-x-bi? an? ga-mu-[...]
The black-headed people gave(?) heaven to me(!?), ... I want to ... heaven
nin gu-la-ĝu10 ga-ša-an-ki-gal-la-še3 kur [...] mu-ta?-[...]
Towards/on behalf my eldest sister Ereškigal, ... the netherworld

On the other side of the corridor, Sumerian reader can understand:
ud nam-lu2 -lu7 x UD x NIG2 mu-ub-sig -ge -ne [...]-na?-za
When humanity was placing ..., ...
utah-he ed x (ITI.DU)-de3-de3 šag4 mu-un-tum2 -am3 ...
...plotted/decided(?) to ascend into(?) heaven
ki? [...] an-na AN igi bar-ra SAHAR guru7-še3 x [...] x-dub-bu-ne
The onlooking ... of heaven/An ... were pouring sand/earth in the manner of grain heaps
x x LU? nam-lu 2 -lu 7 ! a-da-min 3 !? [...] x UD x [...]
... humanity ... a contest ...

That's as much as you can make of it, so far.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on April 21, 2019, 01:42:28 PM
Klumeons


Looking at the text Klumeons realizes despite his learning he cannot read the text.  So he moves back out tot he main room and north along the west wall to the limit of the lam's light.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 22, 2019, 07:18:12 AM
Murdus

Although he is fascinated by the text, he quickly realises he can't understand it.... "Does anyone understand this?" he asks.... "If so please can you read it out... slowly... ?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on April 24, 2019, 05:33:11 AM
Lahwi’s Attempt to Understand the Meaning of the Inscriptions
Roll 93 + 41 Religion Skill = 134.
Result: Absolute Success.

Trained by the temple of Ištar, Lahwi can identify the texts these passages come from.  The first inscription is part of a narrative poem about the goddess’s descent into the underworld.  The ways of the gods are mysterious, and while Ištar claims to want to attend the funeral rites of one of the underworld deities, instead she attempts to depose Ereškigal, her elder sister and ruler of the dark land.  But Ereškigal attempts to hold her in the underworld, while Ištar escapes and gives her playboy husband over to the pursuing demons.  The passages quoted above are specifically from an early portion of the poem, where the goddess abandons her temples in the land of the living to make the journey to the underworld.

The second passage is a myth about the building of a colossal tower by early humans.  The commotion and hubris of these humans angered the gods, who opened a great hole in the earth, and sent both the humans and their ziqqurat into the underworld.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 24, 2019, 08:31:31 AM
Lahwi-Addu

"I'm not sure of this, fellows, but the ziqqurat we're in may be the tower of Babel. If so, there's no interest in exploring it to the full as it is never ending." He turned to the Astrologer, "Where next?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on April 26, 2019, 09:37:58 PM
Klumenos


As he reaches the limit of the light Klumenos will again attempt to stalk/hide.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Barrow on April 30, 2019, 02:47:04 PM
Yarlaganda

wonders about the Tower of Babel, and what treasures it may contain.

He leaves the scribbles to the wise ones, and keeps his eyes moving for threats... with particular worry for the crack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 01, 2019, 04:03:56 AM
Klumenos's Stalking Attempt:
Roll 69 + 29 Skill = 98
Result:  Near Success.

As Klumenos moves through the darkness, he thrills with anxiety.  There's something in that great hole to his left, and somehow he thinks that it might be looking for him.  Will he complete the round without being noticed?

OOC:  Klumenos has managed to avoid the attention of whatever it is for now, but according to School of Hard Knocks, p. 144, in the instance of a Near Success, you have to succeed at a second roll with a +10 bonus to be successful for the round.  So give me another roll.

Any of the PCs want to attempt Observation on the crack?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 02, 2019, 06:28:24 AM
Lahwi-Addu will do a Perception check on the crack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on May 03, 2019, 02:25:19 AM
Klumenos


Not sure if he has manged to elude the seekers gaze, Klumenos will slowly make his way toward the door in the north wall that the Astrologer indicated.  as He does he will attempt to discern what lurks in the giant crack.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 06, 2019, 01:47:28 AM
Klumenos's Stalking Attempt:
Roll 38 + 29 Skill + 10 Bonus = 77
Result:  Partial Success.
Narrative:  Klumenos reaches the door, and though he moved carefully and quietly, he still feels that whatever is in the crack knows that he’s reached the door.

Lahwi-Addu’s Alertness Check:
Roll 31 + 36 Skill -60 Hiding/Darkness Mod. = 7
Result: Failure.
Narrative: The paladin notices nothing.

After Klumenos reaches the door indicated by the astrologer, everyone in the party harkens to the sound of shifting rubble in the crack.  As their eyes focus on that dark void, a great serpentine head shoots upwards out of it.

The snake’s head is at least six feet wide, its two great fangs four feet long.  You can’t see all of its body yet, but there’s at least 20’ of it out of the hole already.  It is either black, or a very dark shade of gray.

(https://i.imgur.com/ZcGE9dd.jpg)

It turns to face the doorway and Klumenos.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on May 06, 2019, 02:23:11 AM
Klumenos

Accepting the unknown in favor of the monstrosity before him, Klumenos seems the cover of the open doorway.  Once through the doorway he we root in his pack for an oil flask, while keeping a watchful eye on the serpent.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 06, 2019, 08:27:19 PM
Lahwi-Addu

sighs, "It seeems too big to fight, what next wise guy?" the Amorite asked Nūr-ilī. (Can we make a run to the other door before the serpent strikes?)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 07, 2019, 08:29:13 AM
Murdus

Initially distracted by the writings, he turns to see the snake appear from the crack..

---------------------

Fauna Lore:  +62

Rolled 1d100+62 : 15 + 62, total 77
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on May 09, 2019, 11:30:41 PM
Klumenos


Once he finds the oil he will attempt to start a fire  using a bit of rope for fuel.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 10, 2019, 03:30:26 AM
Murdus's Fauna Lore
15 Roll + 62 Skill +30 Routine = 107
Result:  Partial Success.
While Murdus has never seen a serpent anywhere near this big, he's familiar with snakes of all sorts.  This seems to be a huge version of a common species, but he can't precisely be sure which one.  He could spend another round studying it (and get a +10 bonus) and see if he recollects anything more, for instance, whether its smaller brothers and sisters are venomous or not.  Of course, the snake might not give him the chance.

It's 168 feet from where the rest of the party is to the doorway.  You could try to move faster than a run, but it would incur a MM roll.

The snake is 292 feet away from you.  He's also not all of the way out of the hole.  From Murdus's assessment of it, he suspects that you can make it, although Yarlaganda will have to hustle.  In game terms, the snake's base movement rate is 100', and because of his bulk, his max. pace is a Sprint (3x).)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 10, 2019, 06:05:19 AM
Murdus

He tries to remember more, but doesn't slow down, he heads instead to the north.. as he considers throwing one of the parcels of spare rations/meat in it's direction trying to distract/slow it down.


----------------

OOC: Was the roll good enough to determine how the Snake might sense things, i.e. Smell or Vibration or Movement or a combination. It appears to have noticed us, but might be reacting to a specific stimulus..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on May 10, 2019, 05:26:23 PM
OOC:  Unfortunately Klumenos seems to be that stimulus! 
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 11, 2019, 04:58:12 AM
Murdus notices the snake is constantly flicking its forked tongue out and tasting the air.  He suspects the snake is sensing Klumenos primarily by “taste” (i.e., scent).  He also knows that many snakes can sense the body heat of warm-blooded prey, and that he might be using this additionally.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 12, 2019, 10:07:11 PM
Lahwi-Addu

Asks the party, "shall we make a run for it?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 13, 2019, 09:59:32 AM
Murdus

"I'm not sure, it maybe I can delay, distract it's attention.. with a little help. I might have something to confuse it..."

He'll look in his satchel to see if there's anything pungent and/or distracting amongst the  herbs he's got.. perhaps wrapping it around an unit torch, then lighting it and throwing it close enough to the snake might give us more time. I'm not sure exactly what he's got left, but a couple of doses of that calming herb might work if we tried lacing some left-over meat?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on May 14, 2019, 07:47:24 AM
Lahwi-Addu

"Looks like a plan, let's do it!"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 17, 2019, 01:52:04 AM
So GB, what precisely are you going to do?  You should have some cooked meat left over from the pig Yarlaganda butchered the day before this one.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 17, 2019, 05:57:05 AM
Well, wrap some cooked (or otherwise) meat around an un-lit torch, smear the calming herb/drub into the meat, then get someone proficient to light and throw it, towards, past or over the snake in an attempt to distract it with a combination of food smells, heat and movement.. I'd suggest to the snakes left against the far wall, that should take the path of the throw between it and the north door... we then all peg it towards the door..
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on May 18, 2019, 05:20:16 AM
Klumenos


As he eyes the serpent and the room, he realizes that his initial plan to throw a flask of oil at the serpent may not be as easy as he initially thought. Throwing the oil flask 425 feet might not be realistic, at least not with any accuracy.  As he hears Murdas's plan he decides to wait on that ploy before trying anything else.  He does reach into his pouch and with draws a bit of bandage, which he wraps around an arrow, after he string his bow.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on May 21, 2019, 03:59:51 AM
The party tosses the torch.  As predicted, the giant snake senses the burning meat and darts towards it, giving you a free round to make it to Klumenos.

Everyone moves at a Dash (5x speed; medium maneuver).  This requires a moving maneuver using the Sprinting skill.

Dash to the Door, Round 1
Indattu's Dash base rate is 370 feet/round.
Roll 65 +3 Skill = 68.
Result 50% of base Dash rate moved.
185 feet moved.  The thief makes it to the door.

Nur-ili's Dash base rate is 250 feet/round.
Roll 72 -10 Skill = 62.
Result: 40% of base Dash rate moved.
100 feet moved, 68 feet to go!

Murdus's Dash base rate is 250 feet/round.
Roll 52 -13 Skill = 39.
Result: 20% of base Dash rate moved.
50 feet moved, 118 feet to go!

Lahwi's Dash base rate is 460 feet/round.
Roll 53 +37  Skill = 90.
Result: 70% of base Dash rate moved.
327.6 feet moved, and the Paladin joins Klumenos.

Yarlaganda's Dash base rate is 100 feet/round.
Roll 75 +15 Skill = 90.
Result: 70% of base Dash rate moved.
70 feet moved, 98 feet to go!

Dash to the Door, Round 2
The snake's Alertness
Roll 50 + 22 Skill -20 Distracted by Tasty Torch = 52
Result: Failure.
Also, the snake swallows the torch whole.

Nur-ili's Dash base rate is 250 feet/round, and he has 68 feet left to cover.
Roll 14 -10 Skill = 4.
Result: 10% of base Dash rate moved.
25 feet moved, 43 feet to go!

Murdus's Dash base rate is 250 feet/round, and he has 118 feet left to cover.
Roll 92 -13 Skill = 79.
Result: 60% of base Dash rate moved.
150 feet moved, and he's at the door.

Yarlaganda's Dash base rate is 100 feet/round and he has 98 feet to cover.
Roll 20 +15 Skill = 35.
Result: 20% of base Dash rate moved.
20 feet moved, 78 feet to go!

Dash to the Door, Round 3
The snake's Alertness
Roll 38 + 22 Skill = 60.
Result: Failure.

Nur-ili's Dash base rate is 250 feet/round, and he has 43 feet left to cover.
Roll 92 -10 Skill = 82.
Result: 60% of base Dash rate moved.
150 feet moved.  With a burst of speed, the astrologer crashes through the door.

Yarlaganda's Dash base rate is 100 feet/round and he has 78 feet to cover.
Roll 29 +15 Skill = 44.
Result: 20% of base Dash rate moved.
30 feet moved, 48 feet to go!

Dash to the Door, Round 4
The snake's Alertness
Roll 71 + 22 Skill = 93.
Result: Partial Success!  +10 next round.
The snake's head darts in the direction of the targeted doorway, but he continues to taste the air and doesn't seem to have noticed you yet.

Yarlaganda's Dash base rate is 100 feet/round and he has 78 feet to cover.
Roll 71 +15 Skill = 86.
Result: 70% of base Dash rate moved.
70 feet moved, and slowpoke rejoins the party.

You're all inside the doorway now, and the astrologer is tugging on Murdus's robe, as if to indicate that the party should proceed down the hallway.

Clever ploy!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on May 29, 2019, 12:25:19 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos will lead the way down the hall, now staying within the radius of the light.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 01, 2019, 03:58:57 AM
The astrologer shows the party down the hallway.  If the snake knows you’re inside, it doesn’t bother to pursue you.

The hallway is 10 feet wide and continues on beyond the circle of light.  About 50 feet into the passageway, you come to a door in the wall on your left.

“In there,” Nur-ili says.  He tries to move to the back of the PCs.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 01, 2019, 07:14:48 AM
Murdus

Blocking the astrologer's way, he puts a hand up, and urging him forward..

"I do not wish to tarry here lest the serpent changes it's mind.. and you obviously would rather face the serpent than what you wish us to face.. what lies beyond that door?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on June 01, 2019, 07:07:50 PM
Klumenos


Klumenos stares at the Astrologer and then says,"Come on man, we are a team, we have dealt with every threat and kept you safe.  Do not let me walk to my death without even a warning.  I am confident that together we can over come any obstacle but we need to plan to do so."


He will attempt to use his leadership skill to influence Nur-I'll
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 05, 2019, 12:46:04 AM
Klumenos' s Leadership Skill:
Roll 74 + 36 Skill = 110
Result: Near Success.

You tarry at the door as Klumenos and Murdus attempt to convince the astrologer to go on.  It takes longer than you think it should, but eventually he begins to talk.  He seems terrified, and not himself.

"Through the door is an antechamber that leads to a large archive of tablets.  I stashed the key in the archive.  I -- I'd like to go with you," he continues to stammer, "But I can't make myself do it.  The guardian is far too terrible.  She stands at the entrance of the antechamber.  Until now, I'd forgotten how frightening she was -- it was like trying to remember a dream.  But now that I'm here, oh please!  I want to help you!  But please don't make me go!"  He begins to cry.

Klumenos can make another Leadership check at +10.  Success means that he convinces the astrologer to follow them.  Failure, depending on the severity of the failure, could leave him anywhere from panicked, to catatonic.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 05, 2019, 07:22:35 AM
Lahwi-Addu

The Amorite asks the astrologer, "Is this guardian also a demon; how did you get past her in the first time?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 06, 2019, 12:46:57 AM
Through his sobs, he answers the paladin. “I don’t know what she is, but she can’t be human, not like you and me, not if she’s down here.  The first time, when she confronted me, she somehow got in behind me, and I was afraid, so I ran forward into the archive.  That’s why I stopped there.  I’m telling you, it’s like a dream.  I didn’t remember how terrifying she was before, but now I do!  Hunger and desperation were the only things that forced me to face her a second time so that I could get out.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on June 07, 2019, 02:06:03 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos considers pushing on with leadership, but decides that risk of failure is too high right now.  "So what does this woman look like and why does she scare you so?" he asks.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 15, 2019, 02:28:07 AM
“She looks...human,” he responds, calming a bit.  “She’s very comely, and dressed like an ancient queen, draped in fine, white linen with a long fringe.  She wears a gold headdress.”

He takes a long draw from one of the waterskins, and says, “I promise, I will wait for you here.  I’m not brave enough to venture further into this place, and I’d rather not try to sneak past the snake alone.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 16, 2019, 06:20:10 AM
Lahwi-Addu

"Sorry my friend, we can't risk losing you, you're our guide. You'll have to stick with us and not spli tthe party," said the Amorite.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on June 17, 2019, 02:38:26 AM
Klumenos


Klumenos asks, "What about this woman scares you so?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 21, 2019, 02:34:51 AM
“She’s cursed me,” he says.  “It’s like the spell I used on one of the jackal-men to make them frightened of Klumenos, but apparently more permanent.  Knowing I’m cursed doesn’t make it any less terrifying.”

OOC: In game terms, this operates like Evil Mentalism — Mind Disease — Phobia, with the object of his fear being the woman herself.  When the astrologer actually sees the woman, he’ll have to make the SD check used in that spell description, although if he goes willingly (that is, if Klumenos or another PC successfully influences him) his roll will be modified by the PC’s skill bonus, plus any bonus resulting from the successful check.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on June 22, 2019, 03:00:27 PM
Klumenos


The Minoan considers his options.  If I coerce the astrologer into entering the room he may panic and flee, likely being eaten by the snake in the process. But without him, who knows how long it will take to find the artifact within what he describes as a large archive.  So we are likely to loose him if we attempt to make him enter; however, if we do not we are not likely to find the treasure.  As he mulls over the dilemma he hits upon another option.  What if we eliminate the woman?  Would that break the cures?  Would it even matter if she was dead?


Klumenos places a calming hand on Nur-Ill's shoulder and says, "Let's forget about you needing to join us for a moment.  But could you describe the room, every detail you can remember, the size, furniture, statues, scroll cases, anything you can remember?"
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 23, 2019, 04:38:04 AM
“It’s an antechamber to the archive.  It’s empty, except for an image of a woman, which is inlaid into one wall of the chamber.”  After a moment, the astrologer proceeds to describe the inlaid image.  “The image is made of some red stone, carnelian? Perhaps? It depicts a woman holding open a cape top to show her nude body.  She has a mace in her hand, and wears a horned cap.  I also remember something on the floor — a star with eight points, perhaps?  I’m sorry, I didn’t have time too look at much of the room, after the real woman showed up.”
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 23, 2019, 04:14:55 PM
Lahwi-Addu

The Paladin puts together a message of religious terms intertwined with endurance and leadership to help the Astrologer come into the room. (Hopefully that will give him courage.)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 23, 2019, 05:26:22 PM
Lahwi's Leadership Attempt:
Roll 67 + 55 skills = 122
Result: Success!
Nice.  He's convinced, and agrees to go with you into the room.

Lahwi-Addu, as a Paladin of Ištar, knows precisely what these symbols are: they're the iconography of his goddess.  Certainly it can't be an accident that the frightening woman is present in that specific room. Lahwi instructs the astrologer on the teaching of his faith, and shares with him that in every story, Ištar is always opposed to the underworld creatures, and always returns triumphant.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 25, 2019, 11:34:22 PM
"May lshtar drive her flying chariot pulled by 7 enchanted lions to our salvation if needs be," the Paladin said to the Astrologer.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on June 29, 2019, 04:57:45 AM
Does the party do anything else, or take any other precautions before entering the antechamber?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 29, 2019, 09:54:11 PM
"I've got Communion - Cancel Channeling, Essence, or Mentalism. I could take off my armour, cast the spell and put the armour on again. Do you think this precaution is worthwhile?" the Paladin asked the Astrologer.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 02, 2019, 01:34:43 AM
“I don’t know,” the astrologer says.  “But the curse is an affliction of the mind, so to be sure your goddess has some spell that would help you.”

OOC:  Keep in mind that you have +22 Transcend Armor skill, which would help to mitigate the -30 to casting a Channeling Spell in AT 14 armor.  Also, (according to the chart on RMFRP p. 47) you get +5 if you cast the spell in your normal voice (+10 if you shout!) and another +10 because it’s a spell from one of your base lists.  This is all in addition to your +23 in the Communion spell list.  Of course, all you need is a final score of 26 or higher (Partial Success), since you’re not in combat right now.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 02, 2019, 07:41:41 AM
OOC: I thought he had AT 20, though a 26+ is still high methinks.

By an affliction of the mind does the Astrologer mean a Mentalism curse, I ask him?

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 02, 2019, 09:11:24 PM
Klumenos


Preps his bow prior to entering
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 03, 2019, 04:05:14 AM
DW: Lahwi only has a breastplate and greaves, thus AT 14.

I probably didn’t explain myself very well.  Your full bonus to your roll would be +30 with your armor on (+23 Communion List Bonus, +22 Transcend Armor, +5 Cast in a normal voice, +10 Base List Spell, -30 Armor Penalty).  This is the relevant table:

(https://i.imgur.com/xwIz0TB.jpg)
What I meant was that it shouldn’t be too hard for you to successfully cast with your armor on (since even a Partial Success would be a success when you’re out of combat and not tracking rounds).

So, all of that out of the way, the astrologer makes it clear to you that this is a Mentalism curse, and that Cancel Mentalism should work against it.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 03, 2019, 07:08:32 AM
Enheduanna, I think I got you there.

AT 14: Chain shirt, with greaves on the forearms and lower legs.
AT 18: Metal breastplate, with greaves on the forearms and lower legs.

I took a look at Osprey's Assyrians, and they have lamellar breastplates, which were equivalent to chain mail shirts. Maybe you were referring to that?

Some great pictures with metal breastplates, 1200 BC; the Achaeans must have gotten them from the East which was a more advanced civilization at the time, methinks.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/5a/23/595a234aa8c81d0ec71bf5f876ca6e92.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/45/ea/a0/45eaa06fbff2fa019c776b2c75ca9daf.jpg

https://www.pinterest.pt/pin/805651820820924315/

For the spell failure explanation, cheers! I think I'll cast Cancel Mentalism there, never know what the woman will do!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 06, 2019, 02:31:53 AM
OOC: You're exactly right.  I have no idea why I thought that a breastplate was AT 14, or where (or when) I made the mistake.  Thanks for correcting me!

Lawhi casts Cancel Mentalism on himself:
Roll 188 + 30 = 218
Result:  Absolute Success, +10 to your next casting.

Cautiously, the PCs enter the room indicated by the astrologer.  The antechamber is exactly like he described it, and the paladin confirms his opinion that these symbols and images are those of his goddess Ištar.

There is a woman standing on the other side of the room, and you can see the entrance to the archive behind her.  As the astrologer told you, she is beautiful, (Appearance: 100) and dressed in fine linen that a queen would envy.

"You have violated these sacred precincts!" She says to you in a sonorous voice, speaking perfect Sumerian.  "State your purpose, or know the wrath of the Lady of the Heavens!"

The woman's eyes begin to glow.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 06, 2019, 09:05:19 AM
OOC: Yes, a great boost, from AT 14 to AT 18! Thanks, Enheduanna.

Lahwi-addu,

"My lady we seek no harm. I'm an initiate of the goddess Ištar, so there has been no violation of these grounds. We come to ransom an item our friend deposited here, - pointing to the Astrologer - with your permission, of course."

Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 07, 2019, 01:32:45 PM
Klumenos


The Minoan not understanding the exchange, waits near the entrance to see how the Paladin fairs with the avatar of his goddess.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 09, 2019, 01:57:10 AM
The woman blinks at you for a moment, then casts Closed Mentalism -- Mind's Door -- 5. Leaving.
Roll 79 + 30 = 119
Result:  Spell Cast Normally.

She teleports herself behind the party.

The astrologer practically jumps out of his skin.  He has to make the check described in the Mind Disease -- Phobia description.  (Needs 75+ to succeed)
Roll 63 + 30 SD Bonus x3 + 55 Lahwi's Influence Skill = 148
Result:  Success.

The paladin's exhortations fresh in his mind, Nur-ili manages to control his fear.

The woman is behind you, standing just inside the doorway you entered through.  The way into the archive is clear.

She’ll begin to sing at the beginning of next round, as if casting another spell, but you still have time to act on this round.

Initiatives and declarations?  Lahwi-Addu (or anyone else) could attempt Diplomacy (at -50; -20 for Lahwi because he worships Ištar).
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 09, 2019, 11:47:20 AM
Lahwi-addu

OOC: Unfortunately, I don't have Diplomacy. Maybe I could try as a substitute with Public Speaking (+28) and Religion (+41) as the Complementary skill with the -20 penalty or greater?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 09, 2019, 11:35:11 PM
Klumenos


He was standing at the door so he should be at point blank range with his bow.  He will take a shot at the woman as a deliberate action, pending the outcome of the actions of others.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 10, 2019, 03:35:37 AM
DW:  I've never really liked the descriptions of Public Speaking and Diplomacy in School of Hard Knocks.  Diplomacy seems almost as if it’s only supposed to be used in haggling with royalty in some kind of formal negotiations, and doesn’t really address ad hoc negotiations with random antagonists that would occur more often within RPGs.

Public Speaking, on the other hand, only seems to apply to groups, but I’ve never understood why it can’t just apply to an audience of one.

So short answer is, yes, you can use Public Speaking, with Religion as a complementary bonus!
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 10, 2019, 04:56:05 AM
OOC: Ahh the old triangle of social skills.... IMHO  Persuasion, Public Speaking and Diplomacy are ALL complementary. Diplomacy (Knowing how to correctly negotiate in specific differing situations), Public Speaking (the ability to convey at a distance and/or multiple subjects) and Persuasion (the main skill, the ability to convince a single subject)

ALAS Murdus, is poor at all.... he simply goes defensive and tries to avoid the woman... heads off to look for the artefact. ;)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 11, 2019, 03:26:24 PM
Agreed, Enheduanna, there's a description that could be added, which is the one in GURPS 3e.

Lahwi-adddu

The Amorite will try that then.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 12, 2019, 03:40:04 AM
The Amorite attempts to negotiate with the woman:
Roll 69 + 49 Skills -20 Difficulty for Ištar worshiper = 98
Result: Near Success, +10 to next round's attempt.

A moment after Lahwi begins speaking, the woman reacts.  She closes her mouth, and seems to pay attention to him.  She's listening to him, for now, but she doesn't seem quite convinced yet...

Murdus is off to the archive, and the astrologer jogs to catch him up.  The light of his torch shines into the next room, and the merchant sees a long chamber, like a wide corridor.  The walls on both sides are lined with cubby-like shelves, all of them full of tablets.  All of these are larger than those he's used to seeing.  Some of them would have to be carried with both hands, others are even bigger.  The largest ones, standing on their sides, are as tall as a full-grown man, and appear to be made of some metallic material that dimly reflects the torch light.  The rest seem to be ordinary clay.

Seeing Lahwi-Addu's temporary success, does Klumenos hold his shot?
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 12, 2019, 04:22:11 AM
Klumenos

Despite being ready to loose an arrow, Kluemos, is enough of a diplomat to know enough to see how the Amorite's efforts play out.  But he stand ready should she start to sing again.




Edit grammar
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 14, 2019, 11:25:25 PM
While Murdus and Nur-ili enter the archive, Lahwi-Addu continues to appeal to the strange woman.
Roll 147 + 49 Skills + 10 Last Round Success -20 Difficulty = 186
Result:  Absolute Success.

As the paladin finishes his speech, he realizes that the woman is smiling at him.  "May our Lady Inana bless you with a mighty arm, and see you through many more battles," she says to him in Sumerian.  Lahwi knows that she is using the Sumerian name for his Akkadian goddess, Ištar.

Having spoken these words, the woman’s eyes flash, and she disappears.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Just X on July 15, 2019, 04:44:57 PM
Klumenos

Klumenos relaxes his grip on his bow and says, "Nicely done!" then proceeds to the archive with the others.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 16, 2019, 08:36:58 AM
Lahwi-addu

joins the party.
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Enheduanna on July 17, 2019, 02:34:36 AM
As the rest of the party enters the archive, they find Murdus watching the astrologer as he goes to the shelf where he stashed the key.  The object he retrieves is a large spike a little less than a span (OB. ūṭum, 25 cm, 9.84 inches) long.

"This is it," Nur-iii says, smiling.  You can see that there’s some writing on the key.

(https://i.imgur.com/kIVbWqn.jpg)
Title: Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
Post by: Dalewarrior on July 17, 2019, 05:50:45 PM
Lahwi-addu

"Great! So, what now?" the Paladin asked the astrologer.