Real Roleplaying Forums

Games => The Gaming Table => Arda - The Seventh Age (HARP) => Topic started by: Old Man on March 27, 2019, 11:37:22 PM

Title: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on March 27, 2019, 11:37:22 PM
As the giant furred warrior and his equally giant mount disappear into the distance, you turn to face the road ahead. You estimate about another hour or thereabouts until you reach the site of the remains of the caravan.

** Marching order?
** Perception rolls here or in your thread, especially for Skrawk and whomever leads the group (that is - in front)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on March 28, 2019, 02:18:06 AM
Ammon

will head up the main body, allowing the guides to lead him if they choose. If they prefer, he’ll walk with them and let them point him in the right direction.

He’ll have Jay march up front with him, and the other militia soldier bring up the rear.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on March 28, 2019, 02:54:02 PM

Red will lead by a few yards to ensure he can get as good a view of any sign of the movement of the Orcs. He's pretty sure that tracking the whole hive isn't going to be hard, but he wants to keep an eye out for anybody splitting off.  Could be some of the Orcs split off for some reason, could be that some of the wounded did. With breakfast and greeting the stranger done, Red is all business and focused on making sure that we find any survivors and don't get ambushed.

Perception roll
Rolled 1d100+60 : 34 + 60, total 94
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on March 29, 2019, 07:45:22 PM
Shrugging. due to the lack of response, Skrawk announces he's taking wing, and will scout ahead, up to half-a-mile or so. 

"Any specific things this one should be looking for?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on March 29, 2019, 10:21:00 PM

"Please keep an eye out for any sign of anybody splitting off from the main group. I can't imagine tracking the main hive will be hard, but any groups splitting off may be dangerous to us, or tell us what the hive is doing. I assume you know your business, but I'd keep my distance. They seem pretty wound up and prone to violence, so if they can take a shot at you, they might."

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on March 29, 2019, 11:27:11 PM

** Skrawk, perception roll when you have a moment.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on March 30, 2019, 03:51:13 AM
84
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on March 30, 2019, 03:52:49 AM
Skrawk smirks, as best as a face with a bird's beak can smirk, and says, "Keeping my distance is one of my best skills..."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on March 30, 2019, 03:56:13 AM
Sorry for any ambiguity; that "84" was unmodified so you can add another 53 to it.

Rob
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on March 30, 2019, 01:22:24 PM

** Feel free to use the in-line dice roller ... colondice 1d100colon ...
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on March 30, 2019, 03:23:18 PM
+bonus after the 100
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on March 30, 2019, 06:59:01 PM

Skrawk takes to the air as the group takes to the road. It is a quiet morning that only grows quieter as the hour passes.

Eventually Skrawk spots signs of the ruined caravan in the distance. About 30 yards of trail is strewn with wrecked or overturned wagons, a half dozen or so. Dark shapes suggest debris or perhaps bodies, human or beast of burden, scattered about. Aside from small movements, which suggest jungle scavengers, the scene is still.

From the air, Skrawk sees signs, between the trees at trail's edge, of the passage of the Orcs across the road from his right (northish) to his left (southish).

Several beats after Skrawk's discovery, Red can see the near end of the caravan. Nothing stands upon the road or moves nearby. The Orcs are long gone. A faint smell, death or at least the beginnings of putrefaction drift down the trail.

** Actions?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on March 31, 2019, 01:44:58 AM
Red steeled himself. If you live in Hogwood, you've seen death. But that isn't the same as coming across the scene of a battle, or more likely a slaughter. He was pretty sure it was going to be ugly and disturbing. He knew he was green. Hallr had said as much and thought he shouldn't come. They'd 'discussed' it. But Red was of an age now, and wasn't going to shy away from work he could do that needed doing. He knew Hallr wanted to protect him, but it was time for him to stand up.

Red had a job to do here, and by the Moon's breath he was going to do it. He needed to learn what he could from the remains here, and check for any chance of survivors. Letting the gore of the scene distract him wasn't going to help him get that done. It wasn't going to help prevent this hive from doing it to the next caravan or village they bumped into while they were so violently inclined.

So he took a deep breath, and focused. His left hand ran through the twelve gestures of the cardinal prime as he walked. It was an early apprentice drill, but it helped keep his head clear and focused to do it. Plus, it didn't hurt to be ready in case of an attack.

"Hallo? Anybody here? Anybody need help?" he asked in a voice that would carry a bit through the forest, and he kept his voice calm. He circled the wreckage, focused less on the wreckage itself than the area around it. If somebody had staggered off after the battle, their trail would be fresh, coming after the mess of the hive moving. That is what he would look for first. Any sign of anybody moving out from the caravan after the hive passed through. He thought it unlikely, but he would be methodical. Hallr had drilled that into his head. Mages that cut corners did not fare well. So check each thing before moving on to the next, because thinking you know the probable answer isn't the same as actually knowing the answer.

Once that sweep was done, he would turn his attention to trying to count tracks to get a better real grasp on the size of the hive and any other intelligence that could be drawn from the signs of their passage. As he worked, he called out again from time to time. His voice and words exactly the same each time.

He'd leave searching the wreckage for goods and the dead for others, or for last since he didn't think he had any special insights to offer there.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on March 31, 2019, 01:46:27 AM
Skrawk first returns to report to the group, and then says, "Unless you have a better idea, while you check on the ground more closely, I'll take a larger circle around to see if I can spot any other activity."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on March 31, 2019, 03:35:02 AM
** Ry - please provide us with a perception roll for looking for survivors and a tracking roll to see how many Orcs passed this way.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on March 31, 2019, 03:37:23 AM
** Mollari - please provide a perception roll once you are airborne again. How far out are you going to circle?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on March 31, 2019, 04:09:29 AM
Perception

Rolled 1d100+60 : 48 + 60, total 108
Rolled 1d100+35 : 90 + 35, total 125
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on March 31, 2019, 09:21:09 AM
Ammon

nods at Skrawk. “Aye, that’s a good plan. Let us know what you see.”

To Red and the others, he advises: “Look for survivors, but do not stray far. Stay out of the forest for now. Stay vigilant; I think the orcs have likely moved on, but other beasts will no doubt be drawn to this carnage.”

He’ll do his own search for survivors, leaving the tracking up to the trackers.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on March 31, 2019, 04:10:15 PM
The site:


A search reveals six dead, likely guards or drivers, of various ages and races. There were no survivors. Each died of combat injuries - cuts, punctures and impacts. Rigor has begun to set in. Local creatures took notice over night and soft tissue (eyes, skin, lips) shows evidence of their scavenging. Deathly quiet except for the sound of your own movement.


** Everyone please make a SD or CO bonus roll (which ever is higher) in your personal thread. Add +25 if you are a hunter. Add +50 if you have military experience in your background. If you've killed a humanoid or happen to be a doctor/coroner, no need to roll.


The path:


Red can see the trail made by the Orcs headed southward. Given such a larger group, they did not try to conceal their tracks, but moving in several lines makes their numbers difficult to estimate, perhaps several score or more. Small tracks suggest young children are among them, which reinforces the thought an entire small Hive is on the move. Captured animal tracks mix in with the footprints.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on March 31, 2019, 05:09:32 PM

Red looks a little green as he reports in, but his voice doesn't betray it, "It's a full hive. I'd say minimum of 60 orcs, and maybe twice that. Sorry I don't have more experience tracking groups this large to be able to estimate better. But as you can see from the tracks over here (he points them out), they're traveling with youngsters and animals.

That isn't what a raiding party would do, at least to my knowledge.

They also aren't trying to hide their passage, probably pointless with a group this size, but still they aren't. They are travelling in a few columns which does make the estimating numbers harder for me. Maybe somebody who knew orcs movements better could draw a useful conclusion from the number of columns. I can't.

I'm not sure what I make of the fact that they crossed the road, but didn't take it. If they were fleeing from something, going up the road for a ways would make sense because it would be faster. Then again, could buy them more trouble from us that they want to avoid, and it would leave them more exposed from the air if whatever they are running from can put eyes up there.

I think we'd be wise to keep an eye out the way they came. There may be something on their tail and if it scared a whole hive, then it is probably best avoided. Could also be that the whole hive needs to get someplace in a hurry. I have no idea what would cause that though. I'm more inclined to think they're trying to get away. But the trail looks straight, more or less, so maybe they're in a hurry to get to a particular place or thing."

He pauses then asks, "Should we bury the dead and check the remains of the caravan for recoverable goods? Maybe Skrawk could fly back the way they came a little bit while we do to make sure nothing is coming up on us?"

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on March 31, 2019, 06:58:36 PM
** Clarification- there are no survivors at the caravan site. You've all met several of the survivors at the Hogwood Inn
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on March 31, 2019, 07:16:17 PM
Quote
He pauses then asks, "Should we bury the dead and check the remains of the caravan for recoverable goods?

Ammon

shakes his head, mindful of his mission. “Let’s keep moving, for now,” he suggests. “A brief search, perhaps, but to bury these unfortunates would take too much time.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on March 31, 2019, 10:49:15 PM
Qaron comes within 20 feet of the first caravan, and spots his first corpse. His eyes grow big, and he looks away quickly.

"I... I... I think we should...", is all he gets out before his entire breakfast comes back up in his throat. He tries to fight it, but quickly runs to the forest edge and lets go. A full two minutes of him wretching is all you can hear, which you swear is the only sound being made in the forest area.

After that, he stands straight and turns to face the group. He is white as a ghost.

"Sorry about that. I'm... I'm just going to sit over here."

He crosses the road and stays upwind of the feast he left on the other side of the road. He takes out a skin and takes a few sips before sitting down.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on March 31, 2019, 11:46:38 PM
Quote
He pauses then asks, "Should we bury the dead and check the remains of the caravan for recoverable goods?

Ammon

shakes his head, mindful of his mission. “Let’s keep moving, for now,” he suggests. “A brief search, perhaps, but to bury these unfortunates would take too much time.”

Jay replies, "Sir, by my count, there is no one missing from the caravan...."

** Assume the survivors told you their total number.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on April 02, 2019, 10:51:13 PM
44+53 = 97 for Perception.  A quarter-mile for range.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 04, 2019, 08:59:22 AM
Harold, one of the other guards, looks to Ammon, "We (meaning the guards) can stay here and bury the dead, while you go on ahead."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 04, 2019, 11:46:04 AM
Harold, one of the other guards, looks to Ammon, "We (meaning the guards) can stay here and bury the dead, while you go on ahead."
** Harold's a nickname for Tera the Hani as Andrew the Young missed the earlier note - The two with you are Tera Chanur (a calico Hani Woman, distantly related to the Sheriff) and Jaleh Kalpana Rainia ak Jay (a Human Woman of dark skin and some distinct animal tendencies) :)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 05, 2019, 07:28:40 PM
Harold, one of the other guards, looks to Ammon, "We (meaning the guards) can stay here and bury the dead, while you go on ahead."

Ammon

considers this for a long moment. Then he thinks about his mission, and the hive of orcs he may need contend with. He shakes his head.

“No. Let’s stay together. Our mission is to retrieve that cargo. Let us keep that in sight.” He pauses. “If we succeed, we can come back by this way to bury what is left.”

To the group at large... “Let us keep moving.”  He looks to the trackers. “Lead on, if you will,” he asks.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 05, 2019, 10:20:14 PM

** Harold is local Rhyming slang for Tera - Harold -> Harry -> Hairy ...

Tera and Jay exchange glances but say nothing about his plan.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 05, 2019, 10:42:44 PM
Arc

followed the company. (How many men do we have with us?)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 05, 2019, 11:39:06 PM
Tera and Jay exchange glances but say nothing about his plan.

Ammon

notices the glance, and wonders what he’s missing. Some local superstition? Some taboo I’m not aware of, perhaps?

But he refuses to second-guess himself. The mission is paramount. And it would be weakness to not show resolve. They would never stop questioning my leadership.

He says nothing and moves back towards the forest.

=============

OOC: Ammon may be stubborn... but Barrow now thinks he’s making a mistake. But we’ll play it out... I foresee something interesting happening...  :mellow:
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 06, 2019, 12:05:05 AM

"You may not know the area around here, so I'll point out the obvious to you in case it isn't obvious. I'd probably be lost in the city, myself.

There won't be anything to bury when we get back. The animals will have eaten them by then. They've been at the bodies already. They'll soon finish the job. We all end up food for the worms or the beasts, I guess. But, most people like to think their remains don't get dragged off into the bushes and gnawed on. I'd personally like to tell the folks at the Inn that we gave their friends and kin a decent burial. I'd like them to think well of us at Hogwood.

Sheriff put you in charge, and we'll follow, but the orcs have at least most of a day head start on us.  With kids and animals, they aren't moving at full speed, even if they want to. Hard to say, but I'd guess two days to catch up to them, maybe three. If they're really desperate and on the run, could be more though we'll probably see some abandoned orcs who couldn't keep pace by then.

I'd like to earn the gold as much as the next man here, but I'd be grateful if you'd let us do right by the dead before we set off after the orcs, sir."

Red/Ry

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 06, 2019, 12:19:59 AM
Ammon

stops in his tracks. He glares at Red for a moment... and starts to rebuke him. But then he sees the looks of the others, including his own guards, and realizes he’s in the wrong. His shoulders slump.

“Very well. You make a good point. Let us do right by our fellow villagers.”

“Jay, you and Tera stand watch. Let the rest of us bury the dead.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 06, 2019, 02:32:07 AM
Arc

followed the company. (How many men do we have with us?)

I count eight.

Qaron
Red
Arc
Ammon
Jay
Tera
DaynT
Skrawk
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 06, 2019, 02:33:42 AM
** three of which are women.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 06, 2019, 03:24:46 AM
** three of which are women.
** And a Jaguar :)

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 06, 2019, 05:55:55 AM

Red nods respectfully.

He gestures at spot of the side of the road. "Widowbells like soft ground, so probably best to put 'em in there. That will be the quickest digging around."

Red gets to work digging, figuring his smaller size would be better for that than trying to drag the bodies. But if it looks like moving the dead is too much for others, he'll trade off.

He's managed to work himself past sick to just grim. He figures he'll have nightmares about this, but he'll get over it. Has to be done, so no point wasting daylight wishing it didn't. Sooner started, sooner done.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 06, 2019, 02:44:16 PM
Qaron finds his courage and rises to the occasion. Not willing to push his luck, he decides to help Red with the graves. Despite his lean and lanky look, he is able to move mounds of dirt with relative ease.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 06, 2019, 04:32:40 PM
Ammon

will drag bodies to the graves.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 06, 2019, 08:30:10 PM
Arc

Is 8 our whole number counting with the guards?

Arc also helps with burying the dead.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 06, 2019, 09:03:54 PM
Yes, Jay and Tera (Harold) are the names of the guards.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 06, 2019, 11:56:03 PM
Arc

And how many do we estimate the Orcs to be?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 07, 2019, 12:12:53 AM
Arc

Is 8 our whole number counting with the guards?

Arc also helps with burying the dead.

** Yes
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 07, 2019, 02:04:52 AM
Arc

And how many do we estimate the Orcs to be?

** from the lone warrior, and your trackers, there are over one hundred Orcs. Unknown how many of that is workers, women and children; and, how many of that would be warriors. It would all depend on which hive the Orcs belong to and how aggressive they are.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 07, 2019, 05:41:43 AM
To remind us, can you give us common knowledge on orcs? I'm assuming they're just a different race (not tolkien orcs which were inherently corrupt). Generally viewed by humans (and like-minded people perhaps) as more violent and 'barbaric', and best avoided? But trade and other relations do exist? etc.

I just want to make sure I'm properly roleplaying the semi-educated country bigot.  :mellow:

Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 07, 2019, 07:53:56 AM
Arc

Yes, some information on Orcs would be handy. How many men are we burying? And how big had been the group of men that these Orcs attacked before?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 07, 2019, 01:02:53 PM
...
 How many men are we burying? And how big had been the group of men that these Orcs attacked before?
** You are burying 6 bodies which say average to 6 people (some larger some smaller) in size. The caravan numbered, based on the survivors you saw, perhaps 2 dozen with 5 wagons and a number of draft animals.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 07, 2019, 03:30:52 PM
Ammon

when the bodies are gathered, he’ll help with the digging.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 07, 2019, 07:23:32 PM
To remind us, can you give us common knowledge on orcs? I'm assuming they're just a different race (not tolkien orcs which were inherently corrupt). Generally viewed by humans (and like-minded people perhaps) as more violent and 'barbaric', and best avoided? But trade and other relations do exist? etc.

I just want to make sure I'm properly roleplaying the semi-educated country bigot.  :mellow:

Ry
** See the Rules and whatnot thread for some background. But generally the summary above fits.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 08, 2019, 07:39:16 AM
Arc

goes with spade in hand to dig near Ammon. "Have you noticed how few we are and how many the Orcs. I think it will be a small band of farmers against a warrior tribe. Not many chances, I reckon. Don't you think this expedition should be called off?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on April 08, 2019, 12:05:07 PM
Skrawk nods vigorously.  "I don't like the odds.  We should go back, report, and return here with several platoons of soldiers."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 08, 2019, 12:33:38 PM
Ammon,


who knew the odds from the start, shakes his head. “This was never meant to be a combat mission, my friends. This was always an emissary, to see if we can recover certain goods. There was never any possibility that we’d succeed by force.” Well, if we’d had the giant badger with us, maybe, he thinks sadly, but leaves the thought unsaid.

“There are no platoons of soldiers to be had, my friend,” he says to Skrawk. “And even if there were... it might not be enough against a swarming hive.” He sighs heavily. “But no oath binds you, my friends. You are free to leave. Return to Higwood, with my blessing, and report what you’ve seen, if you wish. Jay, Tera and I will continue on, alone, if need be. I think even I can follow this trail, if our guides wish to return to Hogwood.”

He looks at the sun. “Either way, let us finish our business with the dead and be on our way. Whichever way that may be.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 09, 2019, 05:19:33 PM
Arc

"You're in lead though I don't think these Orcs will respect emissaries." He awaits for the others to have their say.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 09, 2019, 06:11:59 PM

"They're moving with the whole hive. If they're at all rational, they'll negotiate.

They need a lot of food and they're very exposed with young and others they want to protect.  Scaring off the game, and picking them off as they travel won't be trivial, but it is probably doable. If they range out to hunt and get food, we can pick them off. If they don't, they starve. They should know this as well as we do. We don't need to take them all at once to hurt them. Their numbers play against them here to some extent because they're slower and need to protect the queen and young.

So, while I don't really want to fight the entire hive, it isn't crazy if we do it right. We bleed them instead of trying to go for the killing blow. We fly over their heads and drop rocks down on them.  We scare off the game so they can't find enough to eat. We can harass them until they relent if we have to.

I hope we don't have to, because that's going to be a lot more dangerous, but we do have options. I agree a standup fight with all of them is crazy, but that's not the only way we play this.

And then there's the unknown of why they're on the move in the first place. What are they running from? If they're got enemies, then they may well want to negotiate with us because if we slow them down or weaken them, even if they beat us, then their enemies will finish them off.

If we have to fight, it is going to be the work of days or a week or two, not one grand melee."

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 10, 2019, 06:37:29 PM
Arc

"Let's see how it goes, then."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 10, 2019, 09:48:12 PM
Ammon

listens to all the opinions and nods.

“Good points, all. If it comes to conflict... we are likely doomed. Though an indirect approach may work if needed”

“Let us find the hive first. It may be that another solultion will present itself.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 13, 2019, 01:34:16 PM

** Later ... before I forget and after Andrew post's the passage of time

Tera, the other guard, asks all, "Before we leave ... Can anyone have a prayer for the dead?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 13, 2019, 04:23:46 PM
As mid-morning passes into afternoon, the sun climbs to its zenith and reminds everyone that these bodies really need to buried quickly. You don't really remember it being this oppressively hot in Hogwood. Fortunately Qaron spotted some shovels in one of the wagons during the search.

Absolutely no one is interested in food as noon passes and you finish digging the graves.

As you move the bodies you notice that several animals have already visited them in the night (anyone touching the bodies please give us a CO roll). Qaron tries to explore the wagons again as the bodies are being moved. Not finding anything useful, he is just doing it so as not to embarrass himself any further.

You are putting the last shovels of earth on the graves when you hear a low grunt coming from the near side woods and you all can see the bushes then shake.


Actions?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 13, 2019, 07:24:47 PM

Jay

Asks out loud, "Bard ... is that you barfing again?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 14, 2019, 01:15:29 AM

Red lets out a long whistle in the direction of the rustling. He'd normally consider hunting whatever it is, but given what it's likely been eating lately, that isn't a very appetizing thought. 

So he settles for letting it know that we're here. There isn't much in a forest that wants to mess with men. Mostly it's getting surprised that causes issues, so he'll avoid that by letting the creature know we're here before it has a chance to startle itself coming out of the bushes.

"We'll have a fair bit of things sniffing around here for a while. We should say what words to the dead we think best, and then move on. Skrawk, perhaps you could offer a prayer on their behalf?"

Red/Ry

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Barrow on April 14, 2019, 05:02:35 PM
Ammon

offers no opinion either way on the prayers for the dead. He’s anxious to be moving again.

When the bushes rustle, he springs into a defensive posture, and signals for his two guards to do the same. If possible, he’ll place himself between the unknown creature and the rest of the party.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 15, 2019, 08:05:07 PM
** which of you are moving the bodies? I assume someone is, cause if the bodies are moving on their own, we have a bigger problem on our hands.

Qaron is not moving any of the bodies. While he did help dig the graves, he is giving the bodies a wide berth. He won't even look at them.



Jay

Asks out loud, "Bard ... is that you barfing again?"


"No, most definitely not", cries out Qaron with a shaky voice.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 16, 2019, 02:54:06 AM

**If the bodies are that messed up, we can use pieces of the broken wagon to move them. We don't need to handle them.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 17, 2019, 09:32:19 PM
From out of the bushes steps a big black bear. He grunts a few times and then when he notices that you have been taking his meal, he lets out a loud bellow, which sends shivers down even the most seasoned of you.

(Please give us a perception roll)

Actions?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 17, 2019, 11:36:00 PM
Arc

draws his war hammer out and sees whether the bear attacks or not.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 18, 2019, 03:03:39 PM
Red is a bit surprised, and concerned that the bear didn't back off after his whistle. That's unusual. He tries to remain aware of his surroundings since something else might be at play here as his left hand begins inscribing several runes in the air which flicker with a bit of blue light that makes your eyes hurt when you look at them. He speaks in a clear voice, but the words don't mean anything and slip right out of your head, He then grabs a handful of that light and pushes it out towards the bear.

**Red is casting sleep on the bear.

**Red is trying to understand why his whistle didn't get the bear to back off? Is the bear ill? Are we in nursing season and this is a mother bear? Is this a particular species of bear that is aggressive enough that it would confront a relatively large pack of men?

(edited to add) Initiative:

Rolled 1d10+17 : 5 + 17, total 22
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 18, 2019, 10:31:13 PM
** In addition to declaring actions, please make an initiative roll.

As a reminder, that is a d10+IN bonus+QU bonus
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 19, 2019, 07:38:02 PM

** Map showing where the bear appeared (from the SW) and where everyone is. Dayn's jaguar is w her.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 20, 2019, 12:09:48 AM

** The gray squares are the graves. The orange ovals are the bodies. Scale based on a wagon bed being roughly 6' across.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on April 20, 2019, 02:15:15 PM
Dayn quickly scans the bear to see if anything is wrong with it. She says, " I would prefer not to kill the bear if something is wrong with it, unless it is in a lot of pain, of course." She knocks an arrow into her bow and waits to see if the bear succumbs to the sleep spell. She also mentally has Ouwr stand ready to attack. Ouwr growls at the bear and then prepares to pounce.

(Perception and initiative in personal thread.)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on April 20, 2019, 11:49:41 PM
Arc

awaits to see if the bear advances to attack (Initiative in the personal thread).
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on April 21, 2019, 05:19:43 PM
Dayn
"Look at the bear's eyes!  They are glowing and seem to be pink in color. I know this bear; but not like this.  She usually has to cubs with her. I hope they haven's been injured!' Please lets try not to hurt it!."


(I have also posted in my personal thread.)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 22, 2019, 03:40:13 PM

Red makes no sign he has heard Dayn, focused on ensuring that he completes the spell, and then hoping it's strong enough to end this confrontation.

But, a part of his mind wonders if whatever is wrong with this bear is connected to the Orcs. Has some form of virulent curse affected the Orcs and the wildlife? Worse, have the members of the caravan brought it unwittingly to Hogwood? The thought is more than a bit distressing.

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 22, 2019, 11:00:00 PM

** Initiative for the bear:
Rolled 1d10+19 : 1 + 19, total 20

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 24, 2019, 01:56:22 AM
Guard 1:

Rolled 1d10+17 : 1 + 17, total 18



Guard 2:

Rolled 1d10+15 : 7 + 15, total 22
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 24, 2019, 02:05:25 AM
Ry please make a spell roll.

D100+spell bonus
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on April 25, 2019, 02:16:33 AM
Time seems to pause, as you all asses the situation. The bear then charges, running right at Red, who releases his spell.

The essence flows out around the bear, seems to grow stronger and then dissipates. The bear barrels through Red, who, having just finished his spell, barely (bearly?) has enough time to jump out of the bear's path. But, unfortunately he doesn't get out of the way fast enough, as the bear clips him and sends him sprawling to land at DaynT's feet.

The bear moves quickly considering its size and manages to get to the first body and takes a rather large bite out of the torso before most can react.

Seeing the bear charge finally unfreeze time, and the guards and Arc quickly cover the distance between them and the animal.

(Please state actions and give another initiative roll for round 2)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on April 25, 2019, 11:36:15 AM

** Approx positions (I assumed a rough 50' rnd move)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on April 26, 2019, 12:18:31 AM
Dayn
"I've asked Ouwr to push the bear down. I'm hoping we don't have to hurt it."

(Initiative rolls are in my personal thread.)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 29, 2019, 04:19:40 PM

{Mild Retcon}

Having stumbled from scrambling out of the bear's way, Red gets to his feet again.


"There is something seriously wrong with this bear, Dayn. I don't think I can stop it without killing it. I can try, but I'm just not good enough. What do you want to do?"

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on April 29, 2019, 06:17:31 PM
Dayn,
"I know we may have to kill it; but please let Ouwr try to knock the bear down first and does anyone have a detect magic or cure disease in animal ability? If we don't have any of that then please let's try to make it quick and then lets see if we can find the bear cubs and see if they have the same problem. Thanks."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on April 29, 2019, 06:57:25 PM
**Not sure where skrawk is, but he's clearly the person for this.

"I'll try a sleep spell. I don't have much of a shot though."

Red will attempt the sleep spell, knowing it's mostly futile, but at least he's out of the way of the bear's wrath.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on April 30, 2019, 02:27:49 PM
"Thanks for giving this a try, Red."
Dayn signals Ouwr to hold off on pouncing on the bear to see if the sleep spell works first.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on April 30, 2019, 11:00:01 PM
**Not sure where skrawk is, but he's clearly the person for this.

"I'll try a sleep spell. I don't have much of a shot though."

Red will attempt the sleep spell, knowing it's mostly futile, but at least he's out of the way of the bear's wrath.

Skrawk swoops down from flying overhead.  "What's going on?  I see the bear, and I heard my name mentioned.  I certainly don't have sleep spells!  Do you want me to look for its den?"

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on May 01, 2019, 06:28:03 AM
Red speaks quickly, keeping the bear in sight.

"Skrawk, There is something very wrong with it. It's sick or cursed, though I I think cursed with those strange eyes.  Can you tell what is going on here? My studies didn't cover this kind of thing.

It has not yet attacked us, My sleep spell is mostly ineffective against bears and more direct assaults are likely to provoke it.  It seems very unnaturally intent on eating the remains of that man. Bears will scavenge, but they'd never pass through a group of men to do so. And Dayn said it had 2 cubs. She wouldn't leave them or bring them near us."

Red leaves hanging the thought that whatever is wrong with that bear may well be connected to the problem with the orcs.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on May 02, 2019, 11:36:53 PM
Skrawk responds, "Cursed, I can't help with.  Sick?  Er, maybe.  I have some healing, and I can neutralize some poisons, things like that.  Would it be worth casting Detect Magic first, to see if that's an aspect of the problem?"

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on May 04, 2019, 03:02:24 AM

"You tell me. I have no idea what's going on here." Red shrugs, but points at the bear's glowing eyes. "But that is definitely NOT normal."

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on May 04, 2019, 03:52:56 AM

"You tell me. I have no idea what's going on here." Red shrugs, but points at the bear's glowing eyes. "But that is definitely NOT normal."

Red/Ry

Skrawk makes the equivalent of an avian shrug and says, "I tell you?  OK, I tell you that I will detect magic, and then will consider a healing spell.  Though I don't believe any spell *I* know will get rid of glowing eyes..."

Skrawk then goes aloft, circles to the far side of the beast (so that if it charges toward hir, the bear will have its back to the party), and casts Detect Magic.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on May 04, 2019, 03:09:42 PM
  Please make a roll in your personal thread.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on May 05, 2019, 12:56:01 AM
As Skrawk leaps into the air and circles around the bear to prepare, Red starts preparations of his own.

The rest of you wait to see what becomes of the manipulation of mana, both divine and mundane. Ammon with the same bewildered look upon his face as he has since the bear's appearance.

Except for Arc, whom rushes forward and either doesn't want to step in the entrails now being pulled apart, or afraid to get too close to the business end of the bear, as he takes a swipe at her with his hammer.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your view, he misses terribly. The bear who originally might have thought you were here for a free meal as well, now probably views you as a potential threat, and let's you know she doesn't appreciate it by standing on her hind legs and growling at you. If you failed to notice the unnatural pinkish glow of her eyes, you certainly notice them now, as they grow more intense.

Meanwhile, Qaron, hiding at the back of the group, has taken out his lute and is hoping to soothe the savage beast by playing music.

(Actions and initiative please. Spells will go off at the start of next round)
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on May 05, 2019, 08:02:42 PM
Dayn:
Knocks an arrow to her bow; but moves out of the direct path of the bear.
Ouwr:
Pounces on the bear from an angle if possible, she attempts to knock it down.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on May 10, 2019, 12:15:26 PM
Ammon

nods at Skrawk. “Aye, that’s a good plan. Let us know what you see.”


Skrawk casts his spell from behind the bear, and then calls out, "This thing is, well, awash with magic.  I don't see how my weak healing is going to do anything about it.  I could try to neutralize any poison in it, but I've never heard of poisons that create such thaumatrgic fields..."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on May 19, 2019, 05:25:36 AM
** Sorry for the delay in the action, we have a brief pause while we are dealing with one character's actions that may have grave consequences.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on May 21, 2019, 07:42:10 PM
The bear stands on its hind legs, to bring its full weight down upon Arc.

Essence swirls out from Red's hand, and strikes the bear full on, and for a moment you think the mighty bear will topple. The bear loses her footing and falls back to all fours, while Arc takes this opportunity to move back. Her eyes roll back in her head briefly, before her eyes regain their focus, and charges at Arc.

The bear takes a swipe at the fighter, who tries to dodge under the mighty paw, but the bear is too quick. The bear's claw tears into his flesh, there is a spray of blood, followed by a sickening thud as Arc's body falls to the ground before the bear.


Actions?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on May 24, 2019, 01:10:23 AM

"'shiznit'!" Red shouts when the bear takes his comrade down.

Red begins to speak words of power, his left hand begins to glow with a ghostly red fire that plays up along his arm.

(Red firebolts the bear)

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on May 27, 2019, 01:01:04 PM
Dayn fires her arrow at the bear and Ouwr continues his attempt to knock down the bear.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on May 27, 2019, 02:50:37 PM
NPCs:

Jay moves to attack the bear while Harl moves to drag Arc out of the way.

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on May 27, 2019, 05:53:17 PM

** Rough round 2 start map (figure the bear threw Arc to the ground at Jay's feet. Skrawk's position (flying) approx as he's moving. Ammon and Quaron didn't move. Hari and Jay did


Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on May 27, 2019, 11:10:12 PM

** Rough round 2 start map (figure the bear threw Arc to the ground at Jay's feet. Skrawk's position (flying) approx as he's moving. Ammon and Quaron didn't move. Hari and Jay did

Skrawk pulls out his heavy crossbow, loads, and fires from about 30 feet away (mostly above).
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 03, 2019, 10:05:24 PM
The grisly death of their comrade seems to have awaken the group as a whole.

The air all around is drawn toward Red, as he traces mystic symbols that glow and then flicker out.

Skrawk rides the currents, as he takes out his crossbow to load a bolt.

Hari moves to defend the body of her fallen friend, as Ouwr leaps onto the bear's back, hoping to pin it.

The bear merely shrugs off the Panther, undaunted by the attack and not even remotely cautious of another predator present, the bear goes to take a bite out of the new corpse, but Hari is able to fend off the attack.

DaynT lets loose her arrow, but it glances off the bear's side unable to penetrate the hide. 

The bear, easily outnumbered, still presses its attack, raising its claw high above the Hani, ready to claim a second victim.

Even though it's midday you could swear the sun is somehow brighter, and you all feel the rush and hear the flames as they explode from Red's outstretched hand.

You all blink from the intensity of the light, and when you reopen your eyes, where once stood a majestic bear, now lies the charred remains of the beast, split open and blackened.

Actions?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 03, 2019, 11:49:06 PM
Tera finishes pulling Arc out of the way and then checks for signs of life. Jay takes a step towards the charred bulk and pokes it with her sword.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on June 04, 2019, 01:01:27 PM
Skrawk loads his crossbow and fires at the bear.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on June 04, 2019, 05:01:01 PM

Red lowers his left hand, the faint wisps of ghostly flame fading as the smell of charred flesh begins to fill the air.

He looks horrified at his fallen comrade.

"Skrawk! Skrawk! Can you do anything? Is he...?" Red doesn't want to finish that statement. He moves forward to do what he can to help the fallen.

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Mollari on June 04, 2019, 10:57:22 PM
Once his bolt has flown, Skrawk seems to hear Red's cry.

"Give me a moment, and keep that bear away!"

Skrawk dives down, taking care to stay out of the way of the bear's reach, heading to the victim.  If there are any game-mechanic things he can do (e.g. prepping Major Healing if seconds count), he'd do them to the extent he can as he's dashing.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: DaynT on June 05, 2019, 09:23:13 PM
Dayn says,
"I'm of no use to heal anyone so I will check for tracks that might lead us to where the bear cubs are so we can check to see if they are infected by the pink eye disease.

Rolled 1d100+31 : 6 + 31, total 37

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 11, 2019, 09:10:59 PM
Skrawk's bolt hits the bear's corpse with a resounding thud. Parts of the ashen husk falls inward after the bolt. The bear does not move anymore than this.

[end combat]

Hari rolls over Arc's body, so the cleric can perform triage a little easier, but instantly regrets it, as half of the fighters face flops down against the fur on her forearm. She flinches, but doesn't outright drop the body. She gently lays his head on the ground and goes to wash up.

Those of you coming to aid Arc know without a doubt that any efforts would be in vain.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 12, 2019, 01:30:51 AM

** Does Ammon pitch over dead or just auto-run in NPC-mode?
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 12, 2019, 09:20:58 AM
** right now, we will run him as an NPC.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on June 12, 2019, 11:24:50 PM

Red looks at his dead companion in abject horror.

He turns and walks away and stares out into the woods for a few minutes, struggling to get himself under control.

He eventually comes back and using a stick, pokes through the remains of the bear's charged body attempting to see if he can determine anything that might be the source of the horrible curse that seemed to infect it.

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 18, 2019, 03:02:27 PM
The charred body of the bear reveals no hidden secrets as to what caused the bear’s aggression.

Qaron steps forward and stammers, “sh... sh... should we bury him as well?”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on June 18, 2019, 04:50:39 PM

"I don't know. Probably. But I'm not going to do it right now.

What I do know is that we're not competent to handle this.  There is some magic at play here that I have no clue on, and neither does Skrawk.

It turned a common bear into an insane killing machine. What would it do to orcs and others who actually have skills in killing and fighting? I don't know and I don't want to get close enough to find out.  For all I know it's contagious, and everyone at the inn was infected and our town is in danger right now. We might be infected right now and it is just a matter of time before we turn into that bear.

I'm going home to check in and make sure people are ok, and to see if we can find somebody who has a clue what we're dealing with, because all my training in the arcane gives me nothing here. I don't want whatever happened to that bear to happen to us, or to the town, and I have no idea how to stop that from happening.

Orcs, I think we could handle. This, whatever it is, we can't."

Red goes over and picks up his pack, and turns and heads back towards town.

Red/Ry

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 18, 2019, 11:25:09 PM
Ammon


Thinks for a moment, "I think the Orcs worried about the same and that is why they headed south. Can you detect or sense Magic? That might give us a clue as to who is affected and who isn't. Likely this corrupted bear still carries some magics about it?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on June 19, 2019, 12:51:11 AM

"I tried. I couldn't tell anything. I'm not a master mage, but I'm not unschooled, and I just have no idea. Maybe Skrawk can tell if we're contaminated, but I've got nothing.

Whatever this is, we've got no clue what it is, or what to do."

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 19, 2019, 01:46:02 AM
Tera


She says to all, "We should at least complete the burial. Did anyone know Arc well enough to know if burial here is OK?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 20, 2019, 01:03:33 PM
Qaron

“I know his family has a farm on the far side of the river. I think it is just his father, as his mother passed away two winters ago.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 20, 2019, 03:06:20 PM
Jay


Suggests, "If we are continuing, we should bury him here. If we are returning, we should bring him with us."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 22, 2019, 06:05:33 PM
Ammon

“Well, it is up to the rest of you. My mission has been satisfied. I was told to investigate the attack on the caravan, and we’ve done that.

While the reward for the return of the crates is substantial, I cannot go it alone.

As far as whether or not this bear was contagious, I couldn’t possibly know, but if so, we would all already be exposed, so going further wouldn’t matter.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 22, 2019, 06:28:39 PM
Jay looks at Tera , Tera looks at Jay, both reply to Ammon, "We await your orders."
:)

Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 23, 2019, 03:17:48 AM
Skrawk

The Birdman flutters up and then lands, repositioning himself a little further away from the bear.

“I could cure it if it was a disease.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 25, 2019, 11:14:09 PM
Repost for Heleen:

Dayn:

"I am willing to scout ahead with Ouwr and see if we can follow the trail. I can cover the ground while Skrawk covers the sky.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 26, 2019, 06:47:09 PM
Ammon

"Let's bury Arc, and move on, looking for the crates."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on June 26, 2019, 08:27:25 PM
** FYI, everyone. DW will be taking over the role of Ammon.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 26, 2019, 09:30:02 PM
Jay and Tera nod and will help complete the burials or stand watch as Ammon dictates.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on June 27, 2019, 05:10:41 PM

"Skrawk, can you tell if whatever was affecting the bear has affected us?

If you folks want to continue, I'm heading back to town to report and see if they can find somebody that can help us understand what's happening here and how to stop it without becoming part of it."

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 28, 2019, 01:50:53 AM
Tera asks Ammon, "Should one of us go back with Red?"
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 28, 2019, 10:35:47 PM
"Maybe we should all go with Red, rather than split the party," said Ammon to Thera. "After all, our mission has been satisfied and we have found what happened to the caravan."
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 28, 2019, 10:44:22 PM
"Maybe we should all go with Red, rather than split the party," said Ammon to Thera. "After all, our mission has been satisfied and we have found what happened to the caravan."

Tera nods and returns to helping with the burial. They'll go with Ammon as ordered.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Dalewarrior on June 29, 2019, 09:56:04 PM
"We all go back with Red, then," said Ammon.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Ry on June 30, 2019, 05:37:05 AM

Red pauses a moment, and seems to struggle a bit to keep his composure. Then he gets himself under control, and nods. He turns back towards town and starts walking. He doesn't really seem to be paying much attention to anyone around him or notice who is following.

Red/Ry
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on June 30, 2019, 05:54:40 PM

** Dayn will follow the group as well.
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on July 01, 2019, 02:41:34 AM
Skrawk flutters up and lands again, a bit nervously remarks.

“Don’t you think we should determine if whatever afflicted the bear has not infected us as well? I mean, before we go back to town?”

If everyone waits, he will start unpacking and testing individuals.

[this can be done while Arc is being buried]

After testing Red and himself, he relaxes a bit.

“I doubt it is contagious. I see no signs.”
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: Old Man on July 03, 2019, 11:27:08 PM
It fortunately takes somewhat less time to finish burying the other dead, and then to dig Arc's grave and lay him to rest. As afternoon creeps toward evening, the group realizes they'll need to make haste to return to Hogwood before it is totally dark out.

But, prior to departure, Tera asks, "Would anyone wish to say any words for the dead? I am not a priest, but perhaps one of you are?"


If not, the party departs. If someone volunteers then the party pauses for a moment ...
Title: Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
Post by: I8flesh2 on July 04, 2019, 04:38:34 AM
Skwark makes a clicking noise, that can only be described as a bird clearing his throat.

He makes a short speech, praying to the gods, and thinking back on it you get a feeling that while he invoked the names of Seycrare (creation) and Cybele (nature), it had strong undertones of everything happens for a reason.