HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 10:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350141
  • Total Topics: 7456
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Scene 11  (Read 6006 times)

Offline eijatriis

• Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »
OG: Now you can both post here for the combined thread.
Self proclaimed bard
Upholder of the virtues of romance and passion

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:48:59 PM »

Robin shrugged and said, "Not much to tell really. I was on my way to talk to somebody about a case that seemed a little off kilter when I get a weird phone call. I dial a certain key code that I kept hearing and all these clowns suddenly show up in my livingroom. The next thing I know, I'm here trying to figure out if I want to stay, become simply associated, or go home. There seems to be a lot here to learn, but at the same time, I have a certain level of repsonsibility back on Midgarth that I can't leave." He turned to where the lions are deep in their kumite and adds, "Still, this form of fighting by shifting shape could be useful in my role as both a mundane US Marshall, and as one who's been charged to stand between mankind and the darkness."

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
    • http://HealYourGrief.com
Scene 11
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »
Mack looks at him intently for a moment. If I understand things right, no time passes on earth while you're here, so this is a retreat where you can train for extended periods without shirking any of your responsibility on earth. It'll be the same time there when you get back as it was when you left. It's also a place where you can relax and recover without losing any time back home. No time passing, no responsibility avoided. This is an opportunity to extend your abilities for the assignment that you have with no minuses if I understand it right...

Mack pauses for a moment before continuing. As for myself I had no choice but to seek refuge, as I would have been a danger to everyone around me, my team included. Somehow I attracted the attention of a militant group of mages who believe they are only using technology, not perceiving the magic behind their technology. Cyborgs attacked me, and when I was too much for the regular enforcers they called in one of their heavy hitters, with a wing gun attached to his shoulder and missiles attached to his body as well. I barely teleported out, having to leave a comrade; though I believe he was dead. I had no choice. Another branch of their organization, less set in their ways, came to my rescue and allowed me the chance to come here instead of joining them. I've sworn to protect someone there though, taking Vicki as my ward... though she goes her own way right now... Yet if I find no way to shield myself I'll not be able to follow through without exposing her to their attack. Mack's frustration and determination is a visible aura as he speaks of this.

I would make my home here, going there, and where the Pride wishes me to, as needed. In doing that, I could spend all of my time there pursuing my duty, sleeping and training here while time is not passing there. So much more could be done there by returning here in between. Mack looks closely at Robin as he asks, Don't you agree? It may be that you were guided here so that you could spend all of your time on earth actively pursuing your duty as you see it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:20:21 AM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:40:19 AM »
Robin shrugged and indicated the rest of the practice area, "Why don't we find a nice tree to sit under and discuss it. As long as we're here, we may distract our hosts, and to be honest, I'd rather watch and learn a little more before I have to actually engage another werecat in combat, either real or kumite."  He began walking toward a tall tree off to the side.

As they continued to walk, he looked over at the tall handsome man in his boxer and wondered if he dared to try to use what little magick to summon him some more clothing he knew.  If it were changing his form, it would be easy, but changing his clothes would be a different story.  Finally, he said, "Sorry, I can't really help you with your clothing situation.  It's a magick I don't know.  I tend to focus more on the runes, the spirit world, and the small magicks of the home."

Reaching the tree, he flowed to the ground with the grace of cat, and sighed. "I know that time doesn't change on Midgarth while we're here," he pointed to his head, "but I guess my Uncle instilled too strong of a sense of repsonsiblity in me.  I'm having to learn a little patience here, and am finding it a lesson hard won."

Looking carefully at his companion he says, "The lion said that you were a bear.  Is that true?  I mean, I've heard the legends of the bears who stood shoulder and spell with Freyja's children when the wolves attacked, but I've never met one.  Never really even hoped to meet one.  I was told that most of you had taken the Final Walk.  Would you be offended if I said that I'm glad I was wrong.  The honor and the good name of the bear was something that I hated the idea of the world losing."

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:51:04 AM »
Sitting as well, Mack smiles at the question. It's true that most of our kind were slain in the War of the Rages. Just as you find it hard to be patient, we find it hard to change our ways. We have lived scattered lived as we awakened from the long sleep... or I should say as my ancestors did. At the end of that time many of us crossed the small bridge of land that led from Siberia to Alaska, including a few clans of the wolves who elected to stand with us. Many of those were killed by other wolf clans when they finally made their way over. When my people awoke again to defend the earth and her people we found so much damage done... we wonder if we waited too long in our sleep at times... Most of us still stay by ourselves, or work with our younger brothers and sisters, the other changing breeds. I have chosen to protect the people of earth, yet am a warrior and medicine man as many of my ancestors, the Lokota Sioux. I protected first though special forces, learning to work in small groups, and larger squads as well. I learned to coordinate with other squads for special missions. It seemed right to continue as an officer of the law when I got out of the service, but I found the unit coordination of special forces useful, so chose the SWAT team. I've had to make a few adjustments, and find these mages of technology fight to exterminate us just as the wolves did... with heavy guns and many devices all magical, yet none of which I'm familiar with. So here I am, trying to learn and find a way to still do my duties without putting those I would protect in danger. Especially I worry about Vicki.

Pausing a moment Mack spoke again, saying: No, I'm not offended that you are glad we survive. There has always been someone on watch for trouble, ready to awaken us, though some of the ancient ones still sleep. There are even a few who took part in the war sleeping, occasionally waking. Mack flows easily into his bear shape and back. Yes, the gurahl live still, but I find our solitary nature a negative in protecting the people of earth, so choose to work within squads. My squad on earth contains a vampire, a mentalist, and another sort of undead as well as me. We take care of the special assignments... Patience is something that we Gurahl exercised too much of, sleeping through too much time. Yet we are back. This is something different. It is preparation for the war without any wasted time. They took me in when Stephen brought me. His aura is unbelievably strong in life magic. He created all these places. I think it good to live and allow the lessons to change me into more than I was before coming... I committed my blood and essence to them as they extended theirs to me on my arrival, yet still would I make trips to earth to protect her people too. Mack begins to watch nearby bouts as he speaks, pauses for a moment; then as he finishes what he was saying he asks, What special assignment are you working on that is turning out so weird, and what part of the country are you working on it from?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 08:53:25 AM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:39:59 AM »
Robin leaned back against the tree, and said, "I understand the idea of sleeping.  When Charlemagne came and his forces began the conversion by the sword, many of my people were already dead at the hands of those who would claim Jormandgr's brother as their sire.    Some fought and were killed, yet others returned to Alfheim with our Lady, Brisengamen's Owner.  Some of our line she sent back to Earth to watch over the wolves and to cull their herd when they got too upity.   It's not too difficult, for what wolf can stand alone against a tiger," He looked over at Mack, and added, "or bear for that matter; and we are of course masters of pulling down the pack one by one."

He sighed, "My line was one of that was taught the secrets that the Allfather hung on the World Tree for Nine days for, as well as the gift of Seidr that our Lady taught the Waytamer.  For fifty generations we've stood watch over man.  Personally, I was raised among the mundanes with no knowledge of what I was until I was sold to my Great Uncle by my family.  My lessons began on that first night, as he taught me what I would need to know to carry out our mission.  He introduced me to the old ways and the old faith, and I took to it like a man in the destert to water.  I am told that my birth is strange.  My parents are not shapeshifters, yet I was born in my hybrid form, what the wolves call crinos."

He leaned forward and shook his head, "As for the case I'm supposed to be working on, that's even more strange.  I was handed a folder and told to investigate this girl.  The problem was that the folder didn't even have a name on it, had a blurry picture, and almost no information as to why she was supposed to be investigated or what intelligence had been gathered.  I finally found out her name was Vicki and was supposed to meet at the University in (he names the city he's from) with someone with more details.  To be honest, it's weirder than my Aunt Alice's green wig."

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »
Mack sits up straighter as Robin mentions the city's (yet to be determined) name. That's strange, that's the city I'm from now as well. I know there're a great number of us who are not mundane in the city. You mention that your investigation is into a girl there named Vicki and things are pretty strange. Her name wouldn't be Vicki Raymond would it? Living at (address that we never determined either)? I have to ask because she's the girl that I've sworn to protect and taken as ward. It seems wierd enough for us to meet here that I just have a feeling we might be talking about the same person and want to know what you know about what you're looking for. Vicki Raymond is awakened and her mother, who is not, is very worried about the company she's keeping. I promised her mother I'd look into it, but can't until I find a safe way to go back without endangering Vicki. Based on some of what I saw I think her mother is right to worry.

Mack pauses for a moment, his eyes fixed intensely on Robin's. The advise I got from those here and in the city has amounted to the same thing... live and allow what happens around you to become part of you, making you more than you were before. I like the way Dane, the human learner I share rooms with said it best; but if your investigation does involve Vicki then we have some strong ties to each other. I have ties and commitments both here and there, and until I grow into more than what I am now though, going back would bring that techno gang down on me, and whoever was with me, like hornets with their nest disturbed. Is it the same Vicki?

OOC: Page 10 post # 149 in your thread...  B) save you from having to search your thread.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 08:21:22 PM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:36:11 AM »
Robin met Mack's gaze and said, "Yes, that's her name. The whole thing didn't make a whole lot of sense because what they were asking doesn't really fall into the jurisdiction of the US Marshall's Service.  I mean, our primary job is to bring in people for whom there is already and arrest warrant, protect federal witnesses and judges.  Picking up some girl for questioning on  DEA investigation is really out of our jurisdiction."  

Again, he sighed, "As for letting the world around you change you, that's not always a good thing when the changes take you away from what your core beliefs are.  I don't know what this place is, but I am interested in it, but I'm not about to give up what is right because it means I may learn something new.  That's how more than one cat got their whiskers clipped."

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 01:34:44 AM »
Mack shakes his head at Robin's comment.I don't believe that you understand my meaning, probably because I'm still thinking through it and don't voice it well enough; I believe the idea is to let experience allow you to grow, for anyone who doesn't grow through his experiences, the life he lives, is really dying. In reality they begin to resemble the wolves who tried to destroy all the other changing races, so caught up in being right that they wouldn't learn to see the holes in how they believe things to be. When we stop growing we start dying... Change can be embraced without giving up who you are, or what you believe right. It is important not to be so convinced of your own rightness that you are unwilling to examine it to see if it really fits; take the good from what you experience, becoming more than what you are now, though not a different person. Allowing yourself to be changed by life is just another way of speaking of learning. Mack smiles at Robin amiably as he pauses a moment, then continues with a piercing look from his eyes and the aura of unshakeable purpose and dignity surrounding him, I don't believe anyone speaks of giving up your core beliefs, yet even core beliefs should be examined to see if you believe them because you have examined them and find them to be true, or if you only believe them because you trusted the person who told you. No one is perfect, so everyone has problems in what they believe to be true. If they are true they will hold up to that examination, becoming convictions. Allowing yourself to be changed and shaped by the life you live will never change a true conviction of right from wrong. For example, I know it is right to protect Vicki from someone who is using her and guiding her the wrong way. That will never change, nor my role as protector of the people of earth, yet my life experiences should always make me more than what I was before I lived them. That is what I feel I'm being told, and if what I believe cannot bear examination, but is just believed because I trusted the one who told me... It's not worth much unless it is what I decide I believe. But that is for each to decide on their own, though fun to speak on, it is better thought on. Once I make up my mind it is almost impossible for me to change it, yet I speak of things I have accepted blindly and not made up my mind on. I've spoken my thoughts on it too much for now. Let us talk more about something else, like this investigation?

I think you're right about it being strange. I smell a rat in this, but she does need to be taken away from this association with whoever is supplying her with drugs; I assume it must be a drug smuggler or big time dealer if the DEA is involved. You have the assignment which gives an excuse to do that. I would help in this if you allow; because I have placed her under my protection as a ward.
Mack smiles again as he says the last.

OOC: Out of pocket until tomorrow sometime, or Sunday...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:25:23 AM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 11:09:28 AM »
Robin thinks a momement about what the bear had to say and finaly adds, "I agree that it would be a good idea to get her away from the drugs.  A mage on drugs could be a frightening thing.  Do you think she's using, dealing, or just hanging around?  If we can figure out who her supplier is, we could always just eat him."  At the last comment Robin grins in a way that leaves Mack unsure if he's serious or not.

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 01:51:36 AM »
Mack pauses, glancing at him quizically, then says, I think she's using, joints at least. I think that's how she's channeling her magic. Turning grim, Mack says to Robin, We do need to get her away from him and from those others who are holding this influence over her; they are a danger to the people of earth too; but I still wish to take time to settle in here too, becoming more than what I am. I have a commitment here as well, for I have been given a place and given my commitment to the Pride in return. We haven't even met many of them yet. Let's look around and take our time right now as those on earth are frozen in time while we're here. We should take time to get to know the pride since they are allies, and family, to us both. I'm sure we need that... or will soon. Like I mentioned, right now I'm a magnet for some pretty heavy hitting attention on earth... We'll need a plan too... Mack scowls with clenched jaws at the last, then a wry smile.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:16:54 AM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 12:18:39 PM »
Robin nodded at the wisdom of the bear's words.  "I tend to agree with you about getting her from under that kind of influence. However, the question is: Will she seek it again?   She needs something to replace the influence from which we are removing her that she feels will fill the same need.  Simply removing one bad guy won't be enough.  There are always bad guys out there to replace the first, otherwise our mundane jobs wouldn't be so busy.  Have you considered what to do to replace the influence of the this drugster?"

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »
Mack nods at the direction Robin's words take: saying, That's one of the big things to plan for, and to ask about. I was considering what is available here, through Alta Vista, then maybe the University of Magic even as we have been speaking. We would need to ask Stephen, or find out who should ask, if bringing her here, or to Alta Vista, would be permissible. I believe that my guide Kara would have the answer to this and she imprinted her mental image on me so that I could call on her at need. I can't think of any other place that would allow pursuit of pleasure and knowledge without the negatives. Also this place would set boundaries that she would have to respect, since everyone else is gifted in some way as well, including law enforcement officers. Here she couldn't just do as she wished and jump away, which would restore boundaries for her again, something everyone that age needs, and I could watch over her as well, setting some guidelines and being a stable influence, if it's permissible to bring her here too.

That's another thing that we need to plan out well before moving ahead. At home she would just move to the next source, with no one able to set boundaries. Here alternatives could be found for her so that she doesn't lose her powers as mage, but is again bound to honor rules that are in place. I imagine that many of the answers are in this source of information I was given on coming to Alta Vista.
Mack gestures to the device on his arm. He adds, Since I just got here myself I haven't had time to look through it to try to find answers, and many of them I hadn't considered because until you gave me this information because I didn't realize what all she was into, or see even a possibility of doing anything...yet. There are changes and growth that I need so that I can have an alternative to offer her. I believe she would follow my lead if given the opportunity.

OOC: I have to get ready for work. I have to go in today.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:09:32 PM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »
Robin began to chuckle, then to genuinely laugh outloud, finally rolling on the ground in an absolute fit of mirth.  Finally looking over at the confused look on Mack's face he got enough control of his humor to express the thought that his Avatar suddenly sent his way.  Between tears of mirth chuckles he held up a hand and said, "I'm sorry. It sudenly just hit me.  You're talking," another fit of laughter rolled out of him until he got it under control and said, "you're talking about the Alta Vista School of Witchcraft of Wizardry." Again he began to laugh until he finally got out, "I just had an image of her on a broom playing Quiddich for one of the," he made quotation marks in the air with his fingers as he said between chuckles. "Houses."

OOC- No problem.  We're going to my Dad's today to watch the Auburn Game.  Dad's not taking the latest news about Stevie very well.  We've still got our hopes out for better than what he got though.

Danny

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 03:21:28 AM »
Mack still looks puzzled at Robin's reference's, but smiles at the idea of Vicki on a broom. Actually I'm talking about the Academy, another realm that opens off of Alta Vista, also created by Stephen, if I understand correctly. I see it showing up here on the communication device now that I'm thinking about it. I'm sorry, but what's a Quiddish and what do you mean by one of the "Houses?" Mack immitates Robin's use of his hands to emphasize "Houses," and looks at him questioningly, with a waiting smile to be clued in to what the rest of the joke, or pun, is about. Somehow he's sure there's a pun involved, but is still pretty lost on the reference... Yet as Robin continues laughing, he finds it contagious and begins to laugh himself even though he has no idea why...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 03:22:21 AM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline cobalt-blue

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 04:15:11 AM »
Robin gave Mack and unusual look and finally said, "You can't tell me you're unaware of the best selling series of books in all of history:  Harry Potter.   He's a young wizard who plays quiddich on a broom and fights the forces of "He Who Must Not Be Named while attending the Hogwartz School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 01:25:45 PM »
Mack immediately pops himself on the forehead and says to Robin, Oops, I just didn't make that connection. I thought that you were being serious... Too focused during the last 8 years on active duty and deployment. I've seen a couple of the movies and now I see where you're coming from. Mack chuckles at himself, shaking his head. I really should have picked up on that! Just because I don't know the place yet, I took it literally... Caught me off guard completely. Mack smiles good naturedly and as he pictures others on brooms including the ridiculous picture of himself and Robin on brooms, he laughs even harder... I never paid attention to the name "quiddish" and I'm laughing now because I just pictured us on brooms as well, Mack manages to snort out between bursts of laughter, as the tension of the last day sorts itself out in this laughter.

As the laughter begins to fade away, Mack finds himself focusing on the fighting, and extends his magical senses toward those fighting, knowing that the scent of life will overpower use of the more passive way of looking at how they are doing things, he sorts through the fighting for magic being used in the fighting. At the same time he morphs his nose and ears into bear form to investigate with all his senses at their sharpest. He tries to "feel" what they are doing, to catch the rhythm of it and how it could sync with his special forces training, and his training in the use of his shapes as Gurahl, trying to put the three together in the way that makes the most sense to him, trying to see how he could use it most effectively after practice. He sings a song of seeking and learning from others as he does so, in the style of his ancestors... After watching for awhile and singing, he asks Robin, while still watching, How long have you been watching the way they're combining methods here?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 01:18:00 AM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline eijatriis

• Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 09:18:36 AM »
It is a bit confusing as the two white lions are obviously using magic, yet at the same time, the resonance seems to be blocked and masked while they are working. As they watch, the woman falters for a fraction of a moment in keeping her life fixed and defined. The male extends a strike toward the woman. Her body shifts form and the strike hits a vulnerable spot within that form. She defends, then reinforces her Self, but the male presses his advantage.

All of this mystical interaction is taking place among and along with an intensely physical match.

Obviously these techniques would take years to learn and many years to master.
Self proclaimed bard

Offline sbcjohn

• Baron
Scene 11
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 06:49:28 PM »
Wow! Those two down there are really going at it. Using magic and this shapeshifting combat technique together seems pretty complicated. That'll take a long time to learn. Have you watched them long? Mack points with his chin as he speaks, watching the combat come to an end. My first guides mentioned mystical training with the whites. I wonder what all we'll end up learning from our brothers and sisters here?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:49:50 PM by sbcjohn »
Murphy was an optimist.
Robert Asprin

Sun Tzu

Offline eijatriis

• Knight of the Quest
Scene 11
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 08:31:13 PM »
The two lions vanish from view, leaving those watching with a sense of loss.

A moment later, the lion that seemed to be one of the leaders, lets out a loud roar. All warriors to the marshalling point!!!! Symphony is under attack!!!!
Self proclaimed bard

Ridgway Photography