HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 11:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 349145
  • Total Topics: 7443
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: A Glimmer of Hope - Rule Snippets  (Read 1277 times)

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
A Glimmer of Hope - Rule Snippets
« on: December 06, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »
Initiative
Decide how many sides are in the battle - narmally there's just two: the player characters and whoever they're fighting.

The character with the highest Perception on each side rolls that attribute.  The character who gets the highest roll gets to decide whether his side acts first or last in that round.  (Re-roll in the event of a tie.)

Roll Actions
The first side acts now.  The character with the highest Perception goes first. The player tells you how many actions he's making this round and you assign the multiple actions penalty.  Then, the player rolls his character's first action.

Acting in Perception order (highest to lowest), every player tells you how many actions his character is making and rolls his first action.

This process is repeated for each character on the second side.

After every character has taken his/her first action, the characters on the first side take their second actions.

Reaction Skills
When a character gets attacked, he can react by trying to get out of the way: the most common reaction skills are dodge, melee parry and brawling parry.
A character can wait until he's attacked to use a reaction skill.
The character can use up any remaining actions for a reaction or have the reaction be an extra action, accepting the higher multiple action penalty for the rest of the round.

(pages 78 - 79)

Offline Player123

• Herald
Re: A Glimmer of Hope - Rule Snippets
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:55:16 AM »
We usually had house rules that each char rolled their initiative, then go in that order for the duration of the combat. I liked doing it for enemies too as long as there weren't too many of them, because it added depth to the rounds, but I could see how it'd slow things down particularly for PbP.

The team-based initiative can really suck when 5 troopers all go at once - sometimes, one PC ends up being the best target and takes all the lickings.

Always wanted to toy with the idea of actions occurring simultaneously. Order isn't as big an issue if no one can be 'knocked out' before their turn or whatever. But there are other logistical problems (movement, what order actions are *declared* still has to be determined, etc.)...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:09:56 AM »
We often did the each char rolling initiative as well.  But I think it would slow things down, however, I'd be willing to give it a try if most of the players want to.

Offline Maelstrom

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
No difference for me.  Just let me know when Uon is due for his action. 
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  The life I live in this body I live by faith in Jesus Christ who loves me and gave himself up for me.

Red Cap