HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 10:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350141
  • Total Topics: 7456
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: The Vigil  (Read 9689 times)

Offline rmax

• Viscount
The Vigil
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »
General Events for April 5th
Yesterday was rough, as was the night.  It wasn't a dream.

The morning news continues their "round the clock" coverage, constantly rerunning interviews with witnesses, or at least interviews with people who were at the ball park.  It's funny, but either people grow dumb during the interviews, are still in shock, or the reporters find people that give the blurbs that they want to show.  "I thank God that I got out of there alive,"  or "I prayed to God that he spare me and my child from this evil," are general themes that get played, and replayed.  There are a few interviews with people that actually talk about what happened, or with people who tried to help, but by far, all the news agencies concentrate on the "human tragedy" of what happened.

Occasionally they cut to a government official that vaguely provides some small bit of information.  There is a long segment where Mayor Shirley Franklin and Governor Sunny Purdue talk about what is known, about the sorry they feel for those who died in the incident, and how everything will be done to assist the federal agents in their investigation, and the families who were affected.  Gov. Purdue calls for a prayer vigil tonight at the capital a candle light procession to the stadium (about 3 blocks away).

The radio news shows, especially those who pay lip service to facts, are quick to bring up frightening scenarios of terrorist activities.  Some bring up stories of terror cells in America, and leave you feeling that you can not trust anyone around you.  Even if you don't listen to talk radio, their most notorious sound bites are repeated by the news stations.

There is a general state of shock among most of the people you encounter today.  Even if they were not there, the news of what happened has everyone on edge.  The constant coverage and speculation seems to only heighten this general malaise. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:48:07 PM by rmax »
"I have feelings about you, not for you!  There's a big difference! "
- from "Soapdish"

Offline rmax

• Viscount
Re: April 6th
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
General Events for April 6
(I am going to continue to the events of the next day.  I will give Nick and Theira until Friday to finish any discussion at Manuel's Tavern, then I'll move their personal threads along).

The mainstream news media has started to lighten their coverage of what happened at Turner Field, but there is still ample coverage for those addicted to tragedy.  As the day before, the government has no firm comment about what has happened, though the national security threat level is still at red.  It is announced that President Bush will visit Atlanta tomorrow, April 7th

All of the news stations have segments on the strange occurrence of headaches the day after the "Brave's event" as it is now being called.  Theories focus on chemical attacks, bio agents, or mass trauma.  It is also announced that the celebrity therapist Dr. Phil will be venturing to Atlanta to hold a series of mass trauma therapy sessions.  It is also announced that there will be a prayer vigil this night at Turner Field, hosted by Rev. Elijah McDougal, who gave the invocation on Opening Day.

Beyond the news, people around Atlanta seem a little jumpy, and many seem down.  You see this every where you go, from the bus, to business, restaurants, bars, etc....  A malaise has taken hold of the population. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:57:54 PM by rmax »
- from "Soapdish"

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:22:12 AM »
(There are a few more posts for Nick and Theira, Dan needs to think about going to see Emmie's High Priestess, and Flo will wake up soon.  But, I'm going move onto the night shortly since it seems only two characters will be at the vigil tonight).
- from "Soapdish"

Offline Dranthor

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:10:37 AM »
not sure where to post this but.

just trying to let everyone know my computer died and I'm waiting for my new one wil get involved when I get it.
Dranthor

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »
April 6th
The early edition of the Evening News talks about the massive car wreck on Peachtree Street in front of Piedmont Hospital.  The on scene reporter talks to supposed eye witnesses, and shows footage of the accident.  All indications is that a patient ran out of the emergency room and straight into traffic.  No other details are currently known.  (There is also no indication that there is any link to what occurred at Turner Field).

The human interest story for the day deals with the upcoming vigil tonight in Lot B of Turner Field.  The anchorman encourages all who are planning on attending to take MARTA (the public transit system) as there is little parking available. 

(In your threads, please tell me what your planning on doing.  Among specifics, I need to know if Dex is doing anything else, or keeping an eye out...some of the people were acting mighty strange.  Nick will be at the hospital most of the afternoon finishing up with people.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:47:52 PM by rmax »
- from "Soapdish"

Offline rmax

• Viscount
Re: The Vigil
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:43:18 PM »
The Vigil

In the late afternoon of April 6th, Lot B of Turner Field's parking lot is turned into the site for a vigil commemorating those whose lives were taken during the Turner Field Riot (a name the manager of the baseball stadium has been trying to get changed).  The crew from Muse has been working tirelessly to get the stage, sound and lights ready for the evening.  Taking a break, the crew, public safety officers, and other enjoy a wonderful array of freshly cooked goodies (from fried chicken, to potato salads, and fresh brownies...and don't forget the sweet tea). 

Dex, as the crew is finishing dinner, you can see a number of people milling around a black limo that recently pulled up.  You notice a man slowly moving through the crowds, shaking hands, and speaking to those around him.  He seems to have a smile for each and every person he sees.

He seems familiar.

There is a presence about him, and you realize that your just staring at him, that's when you remember where you saw him.  He is the man who gave the invocation at the Opening Day.

He stands about 6'5" (~1.9m), Caucasian, with light brown hair.  He is dressed in a suit, and knows how to wear it.  As he gets closer, you realize that the suit, while well made, does not look to be a name brand suit.  Then you realize, he's walking toward you.

"Hello there, I'm Rev. Elijah McDougal.  I wanted to stop by personally and thank you and your crew for be'in willin' n' able to help on such short notice."  He does not try to hide his Southern accent.  You don't place him as an Appalachian, but maybe more Southern coastal (heavy, molasses drawl, and very melodic).  Being someone who deals with sound, you can immediately tell that this guy gives great voice.  His demeanor quickly puts you at ease (even if you were not tense, you realize that this guy has a natural talent for making people at ease around him).

Bruce, you meet up with Kira at Georgia State University, and take one of the shuttles over to the stadium.  It's about seven o'clock, and the sun is still high (sunset is around 8:30pm).  While early Spring, it still get's chilly at night.  Kira is carrying a light jacket,  is dressed in jeans and a long sleeve green blouse, and is carrying a backpack.  "Have you had supper yet?  Well, don't worry, I brought us something.  We're going to meet with some others, and Cathy said that she was going to pack some food as well."

When you get to the stadium, you notice that Lot B is starting to fill up.  A stage is set, with the stadium acting as a backdrop.  Kira waves, and starts moving over to a group of young people.  They have spread blankets out, and have a large picnic set up.  "Cathy," she says as she hugs another young woman.

"You must be Bruce," says Cathy.  She is about 5'9" (~1.75m) tall, with sandy blond hair and hazel eyes.  She shakes your hand, and looks up at you.  With eyes filled with compassion, "Kira told us of your loss.  Your in our thoughts and prayers."  She smiles a little, then says, "please, come join us."  She leads you over to the blanket, and hands you a plate. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Elsewhere
(Just so you know, the news/radio have been talking about the vigil all day, so it is within reason that all characters currently conscious know about it).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Nick, you finish up at Piedmont hospital around 4pm.  Your boss hasn't called yet, asking for you to come to work.  When you call him, you find out that he heard about you helping out at the hospital, so he's not call you in tonight. 

Theira
In your dream, you run from the shadow.  There is suddenly a pulling at you, and a voice, "be safe."  You wake up to a police officer shaking you

"Mame, are you alright?"  You realize that your screams were not just in your dream.
Florinka

You wake up on a bed in the hospital with a splitting headache.  You try to move your hand to your head, only to realize that you are in restraints.

- from "Soapdish"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • Nice lad, but a bit cup-and-plate in the head...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »
Dex

"My privilege Reverend. Like you, I was one of the people who went through it. I figure we all need this. At times like this it's important to remember that we're not alone, that other people were wounded and other people care."

I'll point out to him those on my crew who were there. Theo at least, dunno how many more. "Just like those who came, and just like you yourself, we're here to heal ourselves as much as to help those around us heal."

I'll try not to be jittery or paranoid, but the fact is this many people who were there, in basically the same place where it all happened, is making me a little nervous.
Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.
Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting, lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing.
   - Traditional physical spell components
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out...
  - Traditional somatic spell components
Ooo Eee Ooo Aaa Aaa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang.
   - Traditional verbal spell components
Take the lime and the coconut, and drink them both together.
  - Traditional potion formula

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
Dex

Your not as jittery as you might imagine.  This guy is just charismatic, and he easily makes you feel comfortable.  "I didn't realize that members of your crew were there that day.  Well then double the welcome brother."  He pauses for a moment, "now you have been feel'in alright since that day.  If not, tell me, and I'll make sure our congregation holds you in their prayers."  His smile is infectious.  You can see how this guy was able to build such a huge following.
- from "Soapdish"

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
"Hi Cathy, pleased to meet you. Thanks very much for your concern, I don't know what to say.....other than thanks." says Bruce sitting down the blanket and accepting a plate of food.

It feels nice to have some genuinely nice people around for a change he thinks, Even though I don't know these people, they are really friendly.

Bruce looks about the stadium holding his plate of food, just slowly picking at the pieces on it. The happenings, although still very recent, at the same time feel like years ago. He gazes soberly up towards the balcony seats where Matthew and himself sat and holds a breath of air. After a moment he slowly exhales and turns back to the group. "The mood is going to be sombre as it is.....better not bring everybody down."

So, I'm not really sure what to expect here, what is the program for tonight?"
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
Bruce
(Just to clarify, your in one of the parking lots.  You can actually see the part of the stadium where it started, but the vigil is being set up outside the stadium).

"Thanks is always welcome," says Cathy.

"Well," Kira explains, "some of the cities leaders will speak, as well as some of the prominent Minsters from around town.  Reverend McDougal, I have heard, will then do a reading and lead those gathered in prayer."  After taking a bite of chicken, she adds, "have you ever heard one of his sermons?"
- from "Soapdish"

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:42:43 AM »
Bruce

(Ok thanks.)

"Er...no. Cant say that I have. I take it he must be quite good to be called in for such an occasion.".

Bruce is a little uncomfortable, partly due to his memories of the recent incident and partly due to his unfamiliarity with religion. He has never been a religious person and has avoided it as he feels he doesn't identify with it's concepts....but on the other hand....these people, Kira and Cathy, until a short while ago they were complete strangers. Now Kira has really been there at a difficult time and Bruce is glad of that.

"So when does this thing kick off?"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
Dex

What little of my jitters remain, I'm gonna keep to myself. Dex is a very hard headed guy, with very much a "show me" attitude about things, which tends to result in his 'religious' beliefs having fairly major differences with those of anyone else he meets. To quote Terry Pratchett, "religion is just a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms". So while he appreciates the good wishes, he doesn't regard the prayers as anything but just good wishes.
And while Dex tends not to be bashful about speaking his mind, here he's running up against one of the most basic rules of the entertainment industry: Don't offend the client, and don't offend the 'talent'. So while no, he's not "feelin alright since that day", he's gonna keep the fact that he hasn't to himself.

I appreciate the support from the Reverend, and respect the work he's doing to help people heal. Fine and good, but it's time to go to work. Right now I'm listening to voices, thinking about tonight's schedule of events, and thinking what minor adjustments might be done to bring out the best in each speaker's vocal qualities.

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »
"You will be impressed," says Cathy.  "He is the most inspirational man I have ever met.  You should come to his church some time."

Kira hands you a plastic cup filled with cold sweet tea, "well, it's getting close to time."  She looks over to the stage, "it looks like their getting ready."  You notice that there are some people dressed in suits up on stage."
Rolling 1d100:
(85): Total = 85
- from "Soapdish"

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 04:36:27 PM »
Dex:  Perfectly understandable.  Just throw things in to see how you react ;evil).  It also introduces you to yet another figure in our little drama.

The reverend thanks you again, and keeps the offer of prayers open.  His handlers though don't let him delay for too long before they are moving him to another throng of people.  You do realize that he has followers, not just parishioners, but die-hard followers.

The work continues, and your done in plenty of time to double check and test everything.
- from "Soapdish"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »
Dex

Depending on what I hear in the voices of the speakers, I may do a last minute change of mics. The standard vocal mic for band singers is good enough for most situations and is probably what's out there now. Some people, especially higher pitched voices, very "breathy" or resonant voices, or people who tend to be explosive in their consonants (P's, K's, etc.) sound better on a choir mic set farther away. But then as likely as not there may not be a mic on a stand at all, just a wireless that gets handed to such-and-such speaker just before he steps out. Those can be a little problematic if you don't know how to use them, but it's a safe bet these guys are all professionals when it comes to speaking on a mic.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
Bruce

Bruce gladly accepts the tea from Kira with a smile and sips it slowly, savouring its sweetness. I wonder if she is a regular attendee of this guy's sermons? he thinks to himself as he looks about. "So I take it then you have seen him speak often?......and met the man as well. Do you attend his church?" asks Bruce, not really knowing what he wants the answer to be.

Since he is just standing around waiting for this thing to start, he looks at the activity on stage. He will also scan the crowd to see what sort of demographic is most prevalent (young, old, well dressed or casual, couples or singles, man:woman ratio).

(Given the recent past events, what sort of security do they have here?)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:05:58 AM by Usdrothek »

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »
Brue

Kira looks over to you, "Oh, I've been to his church a few times.  I stay close to campus though, and go to services at the Baptist Student Union.  Cathy attends his church regularly," a comment to which Cathy nods.  Kira add, "I'm not very fond of large congregations.  I like a more intimate setting."

Dex
You make a few minor adjustments, but everything seems to be working out well. 

The Vigil
There is a diverse crowd present, Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, African-American, young, old, male and female.  While there are groupings of similar ethic groups with each other, you can't say whether one group dominates over another.

There are police and firefighters standing ready in case their needed, and you notice what looks to be private security around the stage.  There

The lights focuses on the stage as a group of people file in and sit down in chairs set on the stage.  A man moves up to the podium, "Let us pray."  With that, people begin to bow their heads, with many clasping their hand.

"Oh Lord, we come before you to day to pray for those we have lost, and for those still wounded in the riot during the Brave's opening day...," and thus begins the vigil.  The first speaker gives a basic prayer, nothing too fancy or inspirational, but it does start the evening.  As the Governor of Georgia speaks of how the community has come together in the face of this tragedy, people move through the crowd passing out candles.

(any comments or questions before I continue?)
- from "Soapdish"

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 01:05:36 AM »
(Nope, go ahead.)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:59 AM »
The Vigil
There is a diverse crowd present, Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, African-American, young, old, male and female.  While there are groupings of similar ethic groups with each other, you can't say whether one group dominates over another.

Are you kidding? I'm a blue eyed black man, I can do "diverse" sittin in a room all by my lonesome.

:lol:

Offline rmax

• Viscount
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
A young black man, with a very strong presence, walks over to the podium.  He pulls out a bible.  "A reading from Matthew," he starts out with a mild voice, but as he reads, his demeanor changes, his words conveying the power of the biblical reading.  (note: italics here just means a long quote)

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat was already a considerable distance[a] from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

The young man is followed by an older gentleman, from the St. Matthew African Methodist Episcopalian church.  This man is fiery, but he does not have the same cool, confident presence of the younger man.

Brothers and Sisters, we have come here today to make sense of this tragedy.  There are many in the media who are telling you to live in fear!  Even to fear your neighbor!  But this is the time where we need our neighbors, need them to help us carry the cross we must now bear!  And we must be there to help them! 

Now Brothers and Sisters, it is very human for us to fear.  Even the first among us, Adam, showed his fear before God.  Remember?  Do you remember what he said?  Why he was hiding from the Lord, for he knew that he had done bad.  But how can you hide from the Lord?  You can't, and when God found Adam, God asked why he was hiding.  Do you remember what Adam said?  'because I was afraid.'

God knows that we doubt.  Listen to the words of Matthew.  The disciples, they were afraid when they saw Jesus walking across that water!  They feared the power of God before them!  Why?  I'll tell you why!  It's cause they doubted in him.  They doubted their Lord and savior!  Why even Peter showed his doubt when he began to sink.  He just couldn't believe. 

The reverend wipes his brow with a white handkerchief, and shakes his head.
Dex Rolling 1d100:
(72): Total = 72

Bruce Rolling 1d100:
(58): Total = 58

So what does this mean for those of us here?  What does this mean for those dealing with loss?  Well, I'll tell you!
First!  We must confront our Fears!  We must find the root of that fear!
Second!  We can't let anyone convince us to doubt our love of God!  As you see from the reading, DOUBT WILL SINK US!
And third!
  The reverend starts pounding the podium, moving as if the spirit of God was in him, We must remember, that no mater what happens, NO MATTER WHAT, we have to remember that God WILL be with us!  Hallelujah!

Bang
- from "Soapdish"