HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 11:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350440
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Broken Covenant (OOC)  (Read 23070 times)

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
    • Musings about the world of Kurant
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2005, 05:31:01 PM »
Well, in case Servius, Enrique and Beren all agree to accepting a new colleague in the expedition, I will definitely jump in. That said, I don't think it makes much sense right now to build a new character from scratch, as I guess that would slow down things unnecesarily, and doing all the introductions at this stage would be a bit stupid.

So I bet I'll be fine with Archae's character. Probably he/she's been strangely quiet for most of the trip, and will now start to open up - just a little bit, as I intend mostly to listen to others (read) for a good while. Or perhaps Sorloc will come up with a better plot twist to explain this sudden "resurrection".

(I definitely had no intention to take Gayle... although I guess it would have been nice to peek at her private life more closely...   :wub: )

I'll include a few facts about the area in a future post - gotta run now.

Rb
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
-- Paul Beatty

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2005, 06:24:04 PM »
I don't care enough bothering an opinion :P
Go ahead as you wish ;)
"A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack."
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

Offline rmax

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2005, 06:57:01 PM »
Welcome aboard koustaki!
"I have feelings about you, not for you!  There's a big difference! "
- from "Soapdish"

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2005, 10:20:23 PM »
Ok, a few disperse facts coming to my mind:

TERRAIN (just practicing)
If I am not mistaken, the group has been heading north from Barcelona to what conforms the French border nowadays - that's circa 150-160 km. The first half of it is called El Maresme, and about 70 km north of Barcelona, you have La Costa Brava (The Rugged Coast). I think the name says it all. The coastline here becomes very rugged, even more than the coast of Barcelona, which in itself is quite hilly. I must say the episode at the cliff sounded pretty much possible considering my limited knowledge of the area. La Costa Brava is a beautiful place, and even now, it still keeps some of its former, "wild" personality (despite massive real estate aggression in recent times).

VEGETATION
Not really knowledgeable here. The land is not really humid, though, and therefore you will necessarily see species that adapt well to a dry climate, as well as to the occasional heavy thunderstorms in Spring and late Summer/early Fall (e.g., from palm trees in the coast to coniferous species in the mountains). But note also that you're close to the Pyrenees, and this means that, in the second half of the trip (roughly the region of Girona), the climate gets much more humid and the woods become denser and richer, as they feed on the streams born in the mountains nearby. This region is particularly beautiful because of this, and mostly because these dense and rich woods merge with beautiful creeks and cliffs in the nearby coastline. Mountain, dense forest and rugged coastline, an amazing mix.

CLIMATE
Now yes, my specialty. Mediterranean climate - very mild, although seasons actually *can* be differentiated (for instance, in southern Spain, you could arguably say that there is no Winter as such). Winter and most of Summer are very dry seasons - note that the winds in most of Western Europe blow from the West (coming from the Atlantic) and therefore the most humid areas are western France, Ireland and Britain, and to some extent western Spain. But rain does not get as far as here, at least on a continuous basis.
However, Fall is usually a rainy season, in the form of long, violent rainfall episodes and heavy thunderstorms - which feed on the warm Mediterranean waters. Spring is very rainy too, but not as intense - much more variable, at least until mid-May, where usually weather gets very summer-like  B) .
A side note: in La Costa Brava, Northern winds are very usual, specially in Winter (it's called Tramontana here). It's a very dry, cold and persistent wind, and folks here say that it drives people insane - which is interesting as far as gaming is concerned, in my opinion; it opens some nice possibilities  ;)  

Overall, I guess that's it. I don't recall reading anything "suspicious" in the IC thread about the area. Perhaps some minor things, such as the names of people and villages... but this can easily be solved. I have a huge reservoir of Catalan names in case you need them  :)

Rb
-- Paul Beatty

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2005, 12:56:49 AM »
Thank you very much, I appreciate that.
That does lead in to another question, you being local - What can you tell us about the history of the languages there?

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2005, 09:48:28 AM »
True, I forgot languages.

I was not born here, so I have limited knowledge of the history of the Catalan language. But browsing the Internet I could learn a few facts.

Apparently, in the XIII century, Catalan already existed as a language, and it was in the midst of a great expansion (towards Valencia and the Balearic islands). Catalan was very related to the Iberian and Occitan (Provençal) tongues, and as such, received some influence from beyond the Pyrenees. Meanwhile, in the rest of the peninsula, the fight with the moors was still going on, and therefore, the use of Castilian was restricted to the "conquered" areas, possibly north of Madrid by this time.

All in all, both Castillian and Catalan were reasonably similar to Latin, so people talking in "pure" latin should be able to communicate (to some extent) with folks talking one of the Castillian dialects (there were at least 4 by this time). I wouldn't call Catalan another dialect, because of its unique culture and influences, but it was born from the same roots - latin plus some iberian influence plus (in this case) some influence from the French. Possibly, one key difference between Castillian and Catalan was that the former received almost no influence from the Arab tongue, and quite a lot from southern France.
Overall, I don't think latin as such will be spoken anywhere, except by some freaks such as covenant mages  :P . The nobility will usually speak Castillian, which was spreading fast, and the nobility in Catalonia will speak Catalan. In the XIII century, these tongues are still evolving, so I suppose plain folks would just look for some common ground in order to communicate with each other.

Rb
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 11:09:52 AM by koustaki »
-- Paul Beatty

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2005, 06:16:36 PM »
Hum, hum... methinks that koustaki needs a character if he's to take part in the game...  :unsure:

Rb
-- Paul Beatty

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2005, 06:31:18 PM »
Going to ask you to stand by a bit...
I'll find a good spot to make an insertion  :o
Are you sure you will be satisfied with the characters?

Heleileen Rehte
http://rpgrm.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...indpost&p=11465

Marcus Nolat
http://rpgrm.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...indpost&p=11466

As you can see here,
http://rpgrm.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...indpost&p=12613
The character she made is good at controlling people's minds - but she has no intellego to read minds.  
The character is quite limited in scope, and there is no correlation between the house affiliation and the scope of powers.
On the other hand, the character is quite strong in the one area chosen.  

The forester is great, and would be useful addition.

You can keep one and create a replacement for the other, or create both, or keep both.  
I just want to make sure that a character that is basically a very good hypnotist would be appealing to you.

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2005, 08:54:05 PM »
Ok, if time is not of the essence, I will try to work on a new magus this weekend. Heleileen is, as you already said, a bit unbalanced, and I have already started to conceive an alternative... I'll discuss the details with you via PMs as I develop this basic idea.

Marcus, though, looks like he'll fit very well in the group and the situation. I don't have the character sheet but I am sure he will be fine.

Rb
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 09:41:14 PM by koustaki »
-- Paul Beatty

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »
One general question about character creation:

How do "General" spells work? Do you buy any number of levels of the spell as you wish, and then whenever you use it, you check if your level is enough to achieve the desired effect?

Rb
-- Paul Beatty

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2005, 03:01:27 PM »
To Cast A Spontaneous Spell (Spend Fatigue) :  
(Int + Technique + Form - Enc) / 2 + roll > Spell Level

To Cast A Spontaneous Spell (No Fatigue):  
(Int + Technique + Form - Enc) / 5 + roll > Spell Level

To Cast A Formulaic Spell:  
Sta + Technique + Form - Enc + roll > Spell Level

To Cast A Ritual:  
Formulaic Total + Concentration + roll > Spell Level

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2005, 03:10:27 PM »
Sorry, my question was badly worded.

I meant, how are Formulaic spells that don't specify a level learnt? May I, for instance, learn a 11th-level "Free the accursed body" spell (Creo Corpus)?

I guess so, it's just that I skip some parts of the book in order to speed up building the character, and I am sure I am messing up lots of things in the way.

Rb
-- Paul Beatty

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »
All formulaic spells specify a level.  

Spontaneous spells are of a level determined by the GM to be appropriate to the effects desired.

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2005, 05:58:36 PM »
I think I found it.

"Some spells are General spells (abbreviated to Gen), which means that they may be learned at any level of difficulty—the higher the level, the more powerful the spell. You may even learn General spells at levels that are not multiples of 5."

I should read more carefully before I post  :unsure:

Rb
-- Paul Beatty

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
d'oh!  sorry about that...
did not even occur to me, sorry.

Offline koustaki

• Knight of the Quest
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2005, 07:46:11 PM »
Did we follow the apparition or are we discussing the riddles right now?
I posted on the premise that we were doing the latter, but now I am confused.

Rb
-- Paul Beatty

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2005, 12:25:22 AM »
Well, you already know what it has to say, so you can either wait here, or follow it.  However, you have learned from experience over the past day and a half that you meet guides more often at the 'lairs' than you do wandering around.[/font]

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2005, 08:23:34 AM »
Quote from: QUOTE(Sorloc @ Dec 4 2005, 11:42 PM)
...investigators...
As the guides come and go, which one do you follow first?
[/color]
[/b]

investigators ?!? is this ars magica gone cthlhu ?!? *Yelps* Where's my Voorish sign ? and my Elder Sign ?! OMG OMG OMG !!!! :P

I'd say the red fox but my character ain't no leader :P
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

Offline crayok

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2005, 04:00:42 PM »
So which one next pals ?

I myself hesitate between two
the ghost and the rooster ... with a light plus on the ghost because of the in of "crawls in the air" the mortal from "watch ovver mortal realms" of the fox riddle

but it's not big a hunch
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 04:02:09 PM by crayok »

Offline LadyCatreece

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • Working....
Broken Covenant (OOC)
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2005, 07:03:27 PM »
I'm going to go with Drake. If you look at a drake, especially, say, an oriental dragon, they seem to crawl and slither in the air.
Nya!