HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 11:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 349145
  • Total Topics: 7443
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Character Generation  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Jojojopo

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
    • My YouTube Channel (with some piano and keyboard videos)
Re: Character Generation
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 11:54:53 PM »
Sorry for the many posts, it's the only way to write without editing my last posts.

Summing up, this are the rolls I just made with this forum's dice roller:
58  49  11(83)  75  3(61)  72  81  100  21  51

Now I'll roll the dice for the potential stats:
Rolling 1d100:
(44): Total = 44

Rolling 1d100:
(4): Total = 4

Rolling 1d100:
(2): Total = 2

Rolling 1d100:
(55): Total = 55

Rolling 1d100:
(43): Total = 43

Rolling 1d100:
(30): Total = 30

Rolling 1d100:
(38): Total = 38

Rolling 1d100:
(5): Total = 5

Rolling 1d100:
(6): Total = 6

Rolling 1d100:
(100): Total = 100

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
Final summary:

Temporal stats rolls:
58  49  11(83)  75  3(61)  72  81  100  21  51

Potential stats rolls:
44  4  2  55  43  30  38  5  6  100

Is this ok?

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »

Not bad your rolls Jojojopo. About the Yahoo site, you're the first person not to be able to access it. Try accessing the Yahoo mail, and from there, try the link of the MERP Rolemaster adventures. If you're able to access the Yahoo mail, it automatically opens you the access to the Yahoo Groups sites.

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
Good! I finally got to access the files. I guess it was just bad luck yesterday.

A little question. Do I have to pair the temporal stats rolls with the potential stats rolls in the order in which they were rolled, or can I choose how to pair them? For example, my first temporal stat roll is 58 and my first potential is 44, do I have to pair them like this when checking in the corresponding table to find my final potential stat? I am not sure about this rule, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Yes, you can pair them like you want Jojojopo.

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
Very well, I'll probably have my character finished tonight. I'll be using your Spreadsheet, so you want me to upload it to the group when I'm finished? Also, I'll send you the final details respecting the story.

A few more questions about character generation. Do you use the optional rule, in which you add your magical realm's stat modifier to the spell acquisition rolls? This would mean that if, for example, an essence spell caster wants to learn a spell list, and has 8 ranks in that spell list (meaning a 40% chance) and he has +10 Empathy, he would have a final 50% (40% for the purchased ranks, plus 10% for his related stat) of learning the spell list.

Another question. I've never played with SO MANY secondary skills XD. Are there any skills that you consider that it will be wise to learn?

Yet another one: do you use and allow magical rituals?

I guess those are all my questions.... for now mwehehehe (¿?).

EDIT: By the way, I've checked and the rules for Overcasting spells are in the section 10.9.2 of Spell Law. Or at least they should be there if there are no differences between the spanish version of the book. There you can find all the modifiers of the ESF rolls, and there is a table which tells the modifier for each level the spell is higher than the character's level.

And speaking of ESF, do you allow the development of a Spell Mastery skill for each spell to alleviate penalties of Exceptional Spellcasting?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:46:42 PM by Jojojopo »

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 11:24:27 PM »

Hi Jojojopo,

When you've finished your character, you can copy/paste it in this section.

I tend to add the stat modifier to the spell list acquisiton roll.

Concentrate on the core skills of your profession, plus 2 skill ranks in Perception, Leadership, Diplomacy or Streetwise, Tactics, and Military/Work Organization

I'd recommend putting a Background Option (+10) in a weapon plus a hobby (3 skill ranks) (you have to free hobbies of 3 skill ranks each) thus getting your maximum skill ranks in the weapon plus the extra hobby, plus the +10 Background option.

I use magcial rituals as described in the Companion 3.

I have to read the Overcasting rule (probably will accept it) and the individual spell mastery (maybe not).

Regards,
António

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
Well, here are some more rolls for the character generation:

Body Development, 5 ranks. Meaning, 5 d8 dice. Here they go! (please roll high).
Rolling 5d8:
(8+2+6+4+8): Total = 28

Spell Acquisition roll for level 0. 75%, so I learn the list rolling 75 or less.
Rolling 1d100:
(7): Total = 7

Depending on this result I will do the spell roll for level 1.

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 06:01:57 AM »
Alright! Good so far.

Spell Acquisition roll for level 1. 65%, so I learn the list rolling 65 or less.
Rolling 1d100:
(61): Total = 61

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 06:05:10 AM »
Good! Well, it ended up well :).

António, please tell me, do you allow to spend two background options to have a +2 spell adder?
(By the way, since you have a spanish name, do you speak spanish?)

This is the summary of my character:

Profession: Illusionist.
Level: 1
Race: Common Man (I assumed that a mixed Dúnedain - Northmen would be common man, just tell me if it isn't so that I can adjust the values).
Total Hits: 34
Armor Type (AT): 1.
Defensive Bonus (DB): 5.
Power Points: 3.

Essence RR (EM Bonus): 30; Channeling RR (IN Bonus): 0; Mentalism RR (PR Bonus): 0; Disease RR (CO Bonus): 5; Poison RR (CO Bonus): 5; Fear RR (SD Bonus): 5.

Spell Lists:
Feel-Taste-Smell (from Background Option).
Illusion Mastery (from Background Option).
Spirit Mastery (75% chance, successfully learned at level 0).
Sound Mastery (100% chance at level 1, bought automatically with enough skill ranks).
Guises (65% chance, successfully learned at level 1).

Skills:
Academic: Administration: 19; Basic Mathematics: 14 (yeah, I want to be able to do basic operations without using my fingers XD); Military Organization: 17; Philosophy/Religion: 14; Racial History: 14; Tactics: 17.
Animal: Riding (horse): 20.
Athletics: Body Development: 33.
Combat: Projectiles (short bow): 15.
Evaluation: Appraisal: 17.
General: Advertising: 12; Cookery: 10; Tactical Games: 17.
Linguistic: Public Speaking: 25; Trading: 30.
Magical: Attunement: 33; Magical Ritual: 20; Runes: 33.
Medical: First Aid: 22.
Perception: Direction Sense: 17; General Perception: 10; Lie Perception: 17.
Social: Diplomacy: 10; Leadership: 10.
Subterfuge: Acting: 26; Bribery: 11; Falsification: 13; Stalk/Hide: 8; Trickery: 13 (is this used for fast manual tricks?).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:43:49 AM by Jojojopo »

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »

Hi Jojojopo,

I'll allow the spell adder. I'm Portuguese from Lisbon but I can understand and speak the basics of Spanish.

Your character sheet is fine! There might be a small mistake. I meant for Ambushes and tactical communication, the Academic skill Tactics, not Tactical Games.

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I added the ability "tactical games" as a roleplaying ability. I want my character to like this kind of games, and so I thought that it would be necessary to reflect this trait in his character sheet (since I found a skill for it).

I purchased the skill "tactics" too, following your recommendation, since it can be useful in many situations.

There's one thing I forgot to ask, do I get to roll to see if my temporal stats increase towards their potential when leveling up from lv 0 to lv 1?

That's the last thing I need to know. Then I'll write a few more lines clarifying some aspects of the story (geographical references), and a few lines respecting my chosen background options (which are, 1 option to increase in one point three stat's temporal and potential values, 2 options to obtain a +2 spell adder, 2 options to obtain two spell lists, and the last option to learn a language).

Respecting languages, I would only know my native language (spoken skill at 6), and the one from my background option (10 both spoken and written) right? If so, I would like the one purchased with my background option to be the one I use formally and in tasks related to knowledge, while my native language (probably the common tongue) to be able to communicate with the majority of people. Could you recommend me what languages would be most appropriate?

And before I forget, I've been looking for my initial equipment. This is what I would like my character to have (tell me if I missed something crucial):
- A backpack, carrying:
  - Brush and ink, and a blank book with a red leather cover, which I use as a journal.
  - A book from my mentor, which has the letter he wrote to me before his death between two pages. The last half of the book is mysteriously blank.
  - A moss-green robe.
- A short bow, with a quiver holding 20 arrows.
- A plain silver bracelet, a +2 Essence spell adder, which I always wear in my right hand.
- Clothes (and personal accessories).
- A small purse carrying a few small stones, of different sizes, shapes and weights.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:07:03 PM by Jojojopo »

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 02:10:10 AM »

Hi Jojojopo,

My mistake, I overlooked the fact that you had picked up Tactics.

You get to roll to see if your temporal stats increase towards their potential when leveling up from lv 0 to lv 1.

I'd consider learning Sindarin, the language most spoken by the Elves.

You need in your equipment a spell book like in AD&D, to memorize the spells, 1 minute/level. This is free and contains all the spells you know to level 10.

I've read the ESF rules and I use them. The skill spell mastery as described in Companion 2 is also used.

Your profession, Illusionist, is seriously restricted by the Orange Catholic church. If you enter the military you'll get a licence permit that allows you to pursue your profession.

I had written some rules on Illusionist spells, though they are incomplete; I'll post them in the Rules section.

Regards,
António

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 02:43:31 AM »
I checked the rules concerning Illusions. So, it explains how illusions can be detected right? Meaning, for example, if I make the illusion of a plant, someone with flora lore is more likely to notice. Is this it?

How is the system concerning memorizing of spells. Do I need to select each day which spells I am going to cast beforehand (like in D&D)? Or do I just need the spellbook to "refresh my memory each morning"?

Respecting the Church, am I going to the pyre if I am caught making illusions without a permit? :P.
I think that I'll be interested in joining the military then, at least for the time being. Can you give me a few more details on this, or I will find out when I start playing?

And now that I think of it, I should have bought some more lores to make my illusions more credibly. Right?

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 05:11:52 AM »
 Hi Jojojopo,

The rules for illusions go like this. You cast an illusion of a forest with a tiger. You can make a skill check with Fauna + 1/2 of Flora, as the complementary skill, to set a higher difficulty than Medium for the illusion to be perceived by the target.
The target makes a Perception roll to spot the illusion + 1/2 of his Fauna or Flora lore added, as the Complementary skill.

I should have put these rules before, sorry, but don't worry too much; a 3rd level fighter has +25 in Perception. To score a success, he needs to have a 111. If actively looking for illusions he gets a +30; he'll have to roll a 60, but most of the times a 90, as Illusionists are rare and not expected.

You need to select each day which spells you are going to cast beforehand like in AD&D.

Yeah, the church defends good customs and the use of high power is only permitted to clerics, monks or soldiers. As the rest of the party have taken service with the militia of the Danelaw, you can also do the same. Jeff a warrior mage, received a permit. There are burghers that went to the universities and serve as counsellors and administrators in city councils that are able to evade clerical restrictions due to their power and connections.

You could change these 2 skills for the Flora and Fauna lores necessary to illusions. You might also need architecture for duplicating buildings.
Cookery: 10
Direction sense:
Tactical Games: 17 - you may use Gambling
Trickery: 13 - useful for gambling
Acting: 26 - useful for illusionary dialogues

I would choose a 1-Handed Slashing Weapon (dagger & broadsword) instead of a short-bow but that's your call.

If you need more Development Points (DPs), you might consider taking in Disadvantages. I use the GURPS 3rd Edition disadvantages multiplied by 3 to get the Rolemaster DPs. I can send you the pdf by e-mail as it is under 10 MBs.
For example, you might consider taking the Pirate's Code of Honor: Always avenge an insult, regardless of the danger; your buddy's foe is your own; never attack a fellowcrewman or buddy except in a fair, open duel. Anything else goes.
This code of honor is also suitable for brigands, motorcycle gangs, and so on.
5*3 points=15 DPs. That would solve your problem.

Regards,
António

Offline Jojojopo

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Ok, I'll see what I can do to get this abilities.

How do I select the spells I'm going to cast? I don't know since I don't have "spell slots", but Power Points. If I am going to overcast a spell, how many "slots" it uses?

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »
You can select as many spells as you have PPs to cast plus the +2 spell adder.

Ridgway Photography