HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 10:08:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350412
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 11
Total: 14

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: A Drop in the Ocean  (Read 53034 times)

Offline Avidos

• Viscount
    • http://www.oxin.co.uk/
Re: A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #580 on: August 15, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne gives Bruce an odd look as if she did not catch the meaning of his comment. 

She takes a few steps out on the debris then uses her hand in a salute-like position as to shade her eyes to the sun, "See anything James?"

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Offline Sir Wolf

• GamesMasters
  • Baronet
  • I might bite!
    • My website
« Reply #581 on: August 18, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
Dr. Keene tries to help Bruce as much as he is able, feeling a bit useless. When he hears about flying unaided, he shudders and groans in his mind.

"As for it, there is a what-if."

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #582 on: August 20, 2007, 04:11:42 AM »
BRUCE

As long as he left alone, Bruce will do his best to repair what he can with what he has.

rmfr
"Borders exist only because man imagines them; otherwise, there are none."
— RMF Runyan @ Invite Only Discussion Panel Seminar on 'Borders' @ UNM

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #583 on: August 21, 2007, 03:00:28 PM »
(OOC: Current situation as I see it

Bruce, Suzzanne, Caio, Bob and James are outside having cleared the engines, exhausts, hull, flying surfaces etc.

Dr Keene and Susan were working inside trying to get the electrics/communications working.)

It occurs to Dr Keene that it might be an external array that had been damaged and that is why the communications aren't working as well as they should.

From the outside the jumpship looks a little battered but nothings missing...just scrapes and a couple of minor dents on the underside of the hull. The top and front of the hull appears rather dirty, quite a lot of the paintwork has seen better days.

Together the communications is tested and, indeed, it appears as though, although the elctronics is working the mechanical element is stuck.

Quite the reverse for the engines..

"Where exactly are we?"  says Caio. "This stuff doesn't look much different to what we left.. anychance you can get that GPS working again?"

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #584 on: August 22, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »
BRUCE

If anyone is near enough, they may hear Bruce remark, "Well, it could have been much worse."

Later, "Poor baby, you've seen better days."

rmfr

Offline Avidos

• Viscount
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2007, 07:09:57 AM »
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne shrugs her shoulders, "That is a good question Caio.  I'm not much on gadgets but I will take a look." 

Suzanne will look at the GPS to see if it is working. She will also try to determine where the group is currently.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #586 on: August 25, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »
As Dr.Keene (and or Bruce) will probably tell you, although the electrics seem to be working fine, however both the computer and the communications arrays don't seem to be...

Some more tinkering by all concerned is required once again ...

James continues his look out, Caio climbs up onto the hull to look at the communications array.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #587 on: August 25, 2007, 03:47:38 PM »
Dr. Keene, twidles with the input leads on the computer (turn it off...then turn it back on again).

The screens stop showing snow and the internal systems and power indicators seem to be working fine. They flicker foe a moment, Suzanne gives it a tap...it flicks off momentarily.

It appears to have a loose connection... it works... barely.

Dr Keane punches in the GPS system... "signal degraded...accuracy not guarenteed.." the integral gremlin* says in a helpful cheery way.

Meanwhile on the roof, Caio finds what he believes in the communications array and tries to fix it.

The only thing James sees is Caio's efforts to manipulate the array. It somewhat distracts him. And nothing else is seen.

Then Dr.Keene remembers his mini-comp.

*Many items have Gremlins which provide instruction/guidence/information.

Offline Avidos

• Viscount
« Reply #588 on: August 26, 2007, 04:46:06 AM »
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne fans herself as she tries to stay out of the way. Technical gadgets are just not her thing.

Offline Sir Wolf

• GamesMasters
  • Baronet
  • I might bite!
    • My website
« Reply #589 on: August 26, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
Dr. Keene tries to find some instructions on how to fix a degraded signal, or if he can get a GPS fix via his minicomp.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #590 on: August 27, 2007, 07:55:10 AM »
Dr Keene has the same result on the mini-comp.... the onboard computer has a detailed maintenance manual.. plus a simpler "Gremlin" that gives verbal instructions.

He goes outside and tests the signal there. It is a little better, he comes to the conclusion that perhaps it is the trees blocking reception. (The onboard satilite reciever is more sensitive however and can pick up weaker signals...)

Caio shouts down from the roof of the jumpship...

"Hey, is this meant to have vines wrapped around it?" he smiles holding up one end of a severed vine. He takes out his knife and trimms away the obstructing vine.

Clambering up to the roof, Dr Keene sees that the vines have forced the receptor out of alignment and damaged its servos. (The receptor scans/homes into transmitted signals automatically by adjusting its alignment to maximise signal strength).

(OOC: It is possible for the Dr to use the mini-comps GPS, and increase it strength by piggybacking the jumpships recievers. It just needs the reciever to be pointing in the right direction.)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #591 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »
Once the vine has been removed from around the array... the reciever is free to move, although the servos are badly damaged, or the hydrolics are strained. Either way it still needs to be manually adjusted in order to get a decent signal.

"Well, it looks like we've got a choice... break radio silence and do a broad spectrum distress call, or we get this to work manually or we fly out of here..." says Caio.

Susan and Bob look to the others for the decision...

Caio continues... "Well, lets assume that the Gen-diver lot are now aware of what happened back there. They probably put two and two together and know that the only jumpship that flew out of there wasn't theirs... plus they may have had chance to talk to the brothers as well." he stops for a moment.

"Assuming they had something to do with the attack on the base...I'm sure they won't be wanting us to report back anytime soon..."

Offline Sir Wolf

• GamesMasters
  • Baronet
  • I might bite!
    • My website
« Reply #592 on: September 01, 2007, 05:28:02 AM »
"Well, it looks like we've got a choice... break radio silence and do a broad spectrum distress call, or we get this to work manually or we fly out of here..." says Caio.

"Flying, where?" Dr. Keene asks. "I mean we don't know where here is, so going anywhere will be a guess, at best, and with a half crippled vessel, I'd rather not risk that. I guess that means we got to get the damn GPS working. So let's get cracking!"

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #593 on: September 01, 2007, 04:18:43 PM »
BRUCE

"Where?  Anywhere but here.  Although I doubt anyone tracked us in that hellstorm, you never know.  Don't we have a map in the computer?  Or do we need the GPS program to access the map?"

rmfr

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #594 on: September 01, 2007, 08:26:58 PM »
There is a map in both the jumpships onboard computer... and Dr Keenes (and anyone elses who has got one) Mini comps...

Having had a good look at this you believe that you have travelled several hundred miles to the south-east of the town wher you recovered Bob.

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #595 on: September 02, 2007, 03:34:25 AM »
BRUCE

"OK.  We have maps.  I know [OOC: I hope] which direction we were travelling when we left.  Barring being blown seriously off course by that hellstorm, couldn't we at least make some ejicated guesstimations as to where are now?"

rmfr

Offline Gribble

• Baron
  • Easy Tiger
« Reply #596 on: September 02, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »
"Well we aint in Kansas anymore Dorothy..."

Growls the surly bodyguard.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Gribble

• Baron
  • Easy Tiger
« Reply #597 on: September 02, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
"Surely someone else has gps on their personal-comp?  Can't the doc splice a link?"
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Marquis
« Reply #598 on: September 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »
(OOC: Yes, All the players have GPS on their personal comp. Trouble is there appears to be a lack of signal strength and the personal computers simply haven't the power to boost the signal recieved. The jumpship has, though it's own reciever is somewhat malfunctioning.

It just takes someone to either manually "twiddle" with the Jump-ships OWN reciever or to get into a better position with a mini-comp (aka up into/above the jungle canopy...back towards the cliff edge.. or try juryrigging a personal comps reciever using power from the jumpship.

All these tasks are about the same complexity about average... either requiring Electronics or Computer or Communications skills... who is going to be brave enough?)

Offline Avidos

• Viscount
« Reply #599 on: September 06, 2007, 03:41:34 AM »
Suzanne Wrightsmith

Suzanne, looking the worse for wear, blows a strand of errant red hair from her face, "Okay boys put your collective thinking caps on and solve this technical snafu or we will be baking in this sun until we die of thirst.  Tell me what to do and I will do it.  Anything beats sitting on this pile of rubbish in the middle of God knows where."

RPGNow.com