HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 11:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 349145
  • Total Topics: 7443
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 13
Total: 14

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Suggested changes to Recruiting & Game board creation  (Read 2152 times)

Offline WorldofLTiene

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • They call me WoLT or AKK
    • A kLoKwErK kAoS
Suggested changes to Recruiting & Game board creation
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
It seems to me one of the problems with having GM's is that it's kind of difficult and not user friendly to set up a game.  You have to go and hunt down a mod and ask them how, and that's a lot harder than most people want to be bothered with on the net.  If you make it easier for people you'll likely end up with more GM's.

Request to split, create a game request sub-forum and Sticky:

So you want to start a game on RealRolePlaying.com, that's great!  We're always looking for new Game Masters!  
Before you request your board though, you should make sure you are prepared to do so.

-Is this your first experience with Play by Post Role Playing Games(PBPRPG)?  If so you may want to try playing in a game first.  There is no reason you can't start a game without lots of experience but you should understand this is a very large undertaking and shouldn't be done lightly because your players will really depend on you and your ability to constantly go the extra mile.  Your players will also count on you to be the expert on the system you decide to use as you are the arbiter of the rules and to know how to help them with the PBP interface whenever they have questions. If you're not sure about your abilities you might want to try joining a game first.  Simple one-shot adventures are a great introduction to PBP RPG.

-Are you ready to run the game or are you just doing an interest check?  If it's just an interest check for players, please  post it here: http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?board=284.0
In the title of your post list the system used (Palladium, Rollmaster, HARP, etc.) and setting type (fantasy, Vampire, Star Trek, etc.).  If you don't have player interest then setting up a game is something you probably aren't ready for.  There are some rare exceptions to this.  You only need one player and one GM but generally four players is average for a PBP game.

-When making an interest check describe your game in great detail to players.  Include Pictures, links, articles, attachments and even some meta-data if you think it's appropriate (such as maps, major NPC's etc.).  This will give players a good idea of what to expect.  Be sure to spend lots of time on your game advertisement and invite players that seem interested in such a game to have a look at the advert.  This is your one opportunity to really get the attention of some quality players and make some great gaming friends.  

-When preparing your game be sure to use all the resources available to you.  Some great resources for any system are:
   -http://tvtropes.org/ this site has some great lists of writing cliches to either embrace or avoid depending on your preference and style.  These range from plot devices, story types, character types and even just things that drive audiences crazy.
   -Google.com is your best friend as a game master.  Need a pic of that old war vet with the scar and beard?  search it.  What if you need a random name generator for Lovecraft style monster names, pirate ships, or Tolkien style Elves?  It's there (trust me I know).  Random weather generators?  Room generators? NPC motivation and background generators?  It's all there.  Just search for it.
   -What if your world is huge?  How about having a supporting wiki for your players to reference? Wetpaint.com does this for free.  It's fun and easy to use.
   -Image hosting.  You obviously can't upload every picture to realroleplaying.com but you can upload them all to various file sharing services for free!  There are lots out there but I recommend tinypic.com  It's fast, free and even provides the BBCode right as soon as you upload it.
   -File Hosting.  If you are not lucky enough to have Google Wave yet, then consider using google docs.  This service will allow you to host all your goodies for editing, where uploading them to realrolplaying.com will only allow for permanent files to be downloaded.  In the case in which you are drafting something I recommend google docs.
-After you have interest and are confident that you are prepared to start the game you are ready to post your game request.  What do you need as a minimum requirement?
   -A Game title
   -What system the game is run in
   -A three to five sentence Blurb about your game
   -A list of how many sub-boards you would like as well as what to title them and what players will have access to them.  Try to have this prepared ahead of time so as to not disturb the mods and admins so much with lots of requests.  If you do need another sub-board please post it in this area and a moderator will assist you at the first convenience.

-Be sure to remember that being a GM/DM/ST,  just like being a player,  is a privilege, not a right.  You still must obey all site policies within your board.  You may wish to revisit the site rules here:  http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=1180.0  as a GM you are expected to enforce these rules on your own board.  If there is some problem with enforcing them, or if you have a question about the policies,  notify a moderator/admin as soon as you are able.

-Congratulations on your decision to become a GM/DM/ST!  Good luck and great gaming!

http://www.youtube.com/v/WyACNukXOn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »
In order to get a game board, it would still require the intervention of a mod to create one. . .can't just allow any registered member to edit the board structure, so that step is required anyway, and you can't skip over it.

Recruiting has refined, over years to:

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=300.0

We try to keep a certain number of mods at a certain level of activity, to where nobody ever has to wait more than a few hours to have their board set up for them.

Essentially, much of what you're talking about, in effect if not in the exact form you're discussing, already exists:

1) You can always just go right to creating a game and getting a game board via PMing a mod, then recruiting via PM, e-mail, phone, face to face or however.

2) Call for players to join a new game / probe for interest in a game you're willing to run is done via "Recruiting for the Gaming Table":

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?board=58.0

3) Filling in holes or attracting players to an already running game is done via "Active Games Still Recruiting":

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?board=398.0

4) Just stirring the pot for interest in a concept, hoping someone will run it, is handled via the "I want to Play" board:

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?board=340.0

Pretty much covers all those bases, the other items are mostly under "How to GameMaster Play-by-Post":

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=2663.0

The rest is mostly style. . .some GMs are very picky about who they allow into their games, while some are happy to throw the door open to anyone, and a lot of variations in between.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:29:56 PM by Celedor »
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline WorldofLTiene

• GamesMasters
    • A kLoKwErK kAoS
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »
PMing the mods the is a challenge though... since there is no master mod list... I did request one of those too... in the who's who section.  

I sent it to you in a PM.

I had to ask around for hours before I found a mod, and again, that's inconvenient and many people new to the site don't want to have to track down a mod to start gaming.  They want plug and play if at all possible.

If you have a board for it right on the front of the forum then it's hard to miss.  The key is user compliance.  Make everything as idiot proof and user friendly as possible  :yes:

At least that's how I prefer to build my sites.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:48 AM »
There was a mod list available previously...it went down due to tech problems only a few days ago...it will return soon.

Usually finding one of us isn't hard, and such a system has worked well and smoothly for us for some time.
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

Offline WorldofLTiene

• GamesMasters
    • A kLoKwErK kAoS
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »
I'm not saying it doesn't work... of course it does... I'm saying it's not optimal.

I realize no one wants to hear the new guy propose ideas and everyone is resistant to change but please try and put that aside and look at the value idea posed for what it is.  :yes:

I don't think I'm important or special, but I do know a thing or two about user compliance.  I design websites.  I actually putting together two of them right now for a client I just got about an hour ago and he wants two more eventually.

Here's some I've launched in the past:

http://www.AKKsite.com
http://www.kutzbymike.com
http://www.thebobtreffilettiproject.com

Now they are different typs of sites... but I also admin a full social network and a wiki and most importantly, I spend far too much time on the computer.  

I'm not demanding anything, I'm just trying to help out and I think if you take a min to assess what I'm posing you'll see that it makes it a lot easier for a new user... and you do want new users right?  More users = more content, traffic and ad revenue, not to mention more games, players and GM's.  :yes:

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
Re: Suggested changes to Recruiting & Game board creation
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:40:32 AM »
No need to cover for me U, I deleted half the mod list a couple days ago while fixing a typo then pulled the thread to repair it and haven't gotten around to it. . . . :rolleyes:

Shrug, if we wanted to gloriously climb to a giant membership, we'd allow d20. . .telling the purposefully niche board that's stated mission statement is to provide a place to play 1% market share games that they're not maximizing their growth potential seems to miss the whole thematic point of the board.

We're here to have fun, and do so in a rather laid back manner. . .and we're very receptive to listening to comments about how to improve things, though perhaps you might get actual responses to your comments if you post individual threads on suggested improvements, as I previously suggested you do. . .trust me, short, clean, single topic posts are the way to go, as resolving a tangle of interconnected requests is simply never going to gather enough support to actually happen . . .beyond the fact that making sweeping changes is simply not our style of board management, we make deliberate, incremental improvements.

My suggestion is to consider the changes you think are a good idea, break it down into base concepts, and suggest them individually in separate threads.

We were way off topic from the other thread, so "magic wand" split. . .
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:42:25 AM by Celedor »
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline WorldofLTiene

• GamesMasters
    • A kLoKwErK kAoS
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:30:56 AM »
I get what you're saying... I never missed that this place is for niche gaming but...

I'm going off the fact that the board owner (OP of the place where this thread started) posted a thread about needing more GM's and to do that you have to increase user-base.  To do that you need to increase user-friendliness; better features, etc., etc.

I will get around to making separate topics... but at the moment I'm involved pretty deeply in getting 2 new websites built for a client I picked up today.  For some reason my nav buttons are cranky and not playing nice  even when I make them from scratch... rawr!

:(

Anyhow, I'll get on it eventually, but I gotta get my work done first.  This job comes with free tattoos, yay!

PS: my roomie should be moving over shortly.  He's been a bit hesitant since there isn't any spoiler tags and he needs them as much as I do, but I talked him into it.  Probably within the next week he'll start importing some of his data and then we'll dragging players over.

/dread (like pulling teeth)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:34:15 AM by WorldofLTiene »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
The best way to get the attention of the moderators is to start what some might percieve as an inflammatory thread.

Congratulations. ;)

My opinion is this, the more you try and shoehorn into a forum-type structure, the more there is to go wrong, especially when the software needs upgrading/modification, this leads to the chance that you will not only breaks the modifications...but risks the integrity of the base structure of the forum itself. This has happened before on other boards and caused considerable disruption. Enough disruption that the user base actually dwindled to nothing.

I confess that sometimes I have difficulty typing, let alone struggling with the concepts of "spoilers" mid post... though I do understand why they might be used, I fail to see why it is any better than Pm'ing the relevant player direct with information that they have that others might not.

As far, as user-friendliness is concerned...simpler is better. So, if such modifactions to the board are made there will need to be extremely SIMPLE well-written instructions as how to use them.

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
Interesting thread, and some interesting ideas about what may help people if included in the forums.

The spoiler tags aren't to hard, and as long as I can find clean code for it I may add them, though I personally never saw the need for them, except for revealing punch lines to jokes or answers to questions.

As to ease of use, this place has grown organically and things get changed to make something clearer or easier to use. Which will always be the case.

I've always believed the best way to make places easy to use is for the people already there to be friendly helpful and respective to new members. This is most definitely the case here which makes me immensely proud and grateful to everyone here for that.

Things will change as they always do, though perhaps not immediately and perhaps not to your tastes. If you feel you have very specific needs perhaps you could use your great web design skills to create one tailored to those needs, we've often supported people going this route, as our remit is not to jealously guard our membership but to help develop roleplaying.
Visit the welcome section of the forums and click on the VOTE link,
so you can vote for us and move us up the rankings at the gateway :)

Please vote once every 24 hours for best results

Offline WorldofLTiene

• GamesMasters
    • A kLoKwErK kAoS
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 05:28:39 AM »
I have considered building such a site, but the problem is I already run several of them and I couldn't easily take up another devoted to being a PBPRPG site.  I simply don't have the resources.  As it is my staff members mostly run the other sites I do and contribute content with the users, plus I'm not really familiar with the mechanics involved in forum mods other than simply adding BBCodes for things like phpbb and such.

The uses of the spoiler tags are many, I made another thread concerning specifically them and their uses in this forum :)

The key thing is that they are the collapsable kind, not the highlight kind. That makes they have more applications (data organization).

RPGNow.com