HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 10:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350141
  • Total Topics: 7456
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 9
Total: 10

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Character Creation Thread 2: Steam Age Boogaloo!  (Read 784 times)

Offline Sir Harry Flashman

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • VC, KCB, KCIE
Character Creation Thread 2: Steam Age Boogaloo!
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
Righto then! I was originally going to insist that we use the old thread - but I thought starting afresh would be better, the character creation questions have been reprinted below - once you are sure of the character that you want to play, please post in this thread with the [in-character] answers

What is your Name?
Where were you born and where do you live now?
What do you look like?
Describe your childhood and general upbringing
What are your best qualities?
What are your worst qualities or vices: your bad habits?
Describe the kind of clothing or dress you prefer, as well as any special quirks you affect as part of that style
Describe your personality in two words
Describe your favourite things
Describe the things you dislike
What principle do you value most in life?
What is your most treasured possession?
Who do you value most in the world?
Who (or what) is your Nemesis?
What are your alliances?
Describe your romantic life
What are your goals in life? – One social, One professional, One Romantic
What event or action in your life do you most regret?
What event or action in your life are you proudest of?
What have you been doing for the past few years of your life?

After this, you must select 1 Attribute you're Great at, 4 you're Good at, and 1 you're Poor at. Attributes included in Comme Il Faut are allowed. If you wish to have break from the above mold and posses multiple Great abilities, or an exceptional or two etc.. you must follow the rules printed on p82 of Comme Il Faut, with abilities worth the following:

Poor: -2
Average: 0
Good: 1
Great: 2
Exceptional: 4
Extraordinary: 6

There will be strictly NO min-maxing! If you do so, I will track you down and beat you about the head with a bowling pin!

Offline coydna

• Messenger
Re: Character Creation Thread 2: Steam Age Boogaloo!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:15 PM »
What is your Name?
Dmitri Yefimovich

I was born and raised in Russia, St. Petersburg, and currently I'm spending my self-imposed exile in London.

What do you look like?
Male, 6'3" in height, and weighing roughly 18st. I am in posession of a black beard, with streaks of grey, well-kept and my eyes, while technically brown, are such a dark hue as to almost be black. In my younger days while I still fought in the Tsar's grand armies, I earned the name of 'Young Bear' die to my size and penchant for wrestling. Now, due to recent years of easy living and increasing age, I find my once formidable physique turning to soft flab. My legs are clock work mechanisms, having lost my real ones on the warfront in France fighting the English. While they are a marvelous work of mechanical ingenuity they tend to seize up in the cold and are nowhere near as adept and agile as a healthy pair.

Describe your childhood and general upbringing.
I was born an only child, my mother sadly passing in childbirth. I was raised by my strict, religious father. Descended from a long line of military men devoted to the Tsars, he was a firm believer in the lash as much as he was the Holy Book. Unfortunately, due in no small part to my mother's death, he was also very fond of his drink and so I was mostly left to fend for myself in my younger days both a t home and beyond. When I was twelve I was inducted, at my father's behest, into the Grand Military Academy, where all my male ancestors had also attended. The Academy, while rough on most was no where near as strict as my father's teachings. In some ways I found it easier there than I had at home. I left the top of my class in all subjects bar fencing and politics (a foreboding omen in hindsight). I then joined the military as an officer of the Tsar's 2nd Fusiliers before ascending the ranks quickly.

I am open and honest. I have no skill for politicking and nor do I wish to develop any. Deceit and back-alley deals tarnish a man's honour. I am always polite to ladies from all walks of life, regardless of their station, and I play the role of gentleman very well.

I am blunt. Hideously so, which has won me few friends. As I have said, I don't involve myself in politics and games of court. This also led to my betrayal on the field in France, fighting the English. My second, always an ambitious man, and my superior conspired to 'remove' my presence form the army after I had embarassed them both during a military tribunal some months before hand.

Describe the kind of clothing or dress you prefer, as well as any special quirks you affect as part of that style.
I am usually seen wearing outdated english military uniforms, cherry red with golden thread bereft of medals. I burned my old Russian uniform and had my medals melted down upon my betrayal and vowed never again to wear those trappings. At home or when not attending formal affairs and meetings, I wear simple tweed suits and linen shirts.

Honest and loyal

Cigars, facial hair (a man with a well kept beard, is a well kept man), the platonic company of ladies.

Politics and favouritism, alcohol in all its forms, arrogance.

Trust. Without this we are nothing. In thrust we build our loves, our friendships and our camaraderies.

A locket of my mother that my father gave to me in one of his more sober moments upon my graduation from the Military Academy when I was 18. Before then I had never seen a photograph of her face.

Samson Lowell, son of Dr Jonathan Lowell. Dr Lowell was the man who ministered to me when I was captured by the English in France, and with his aid and friendship I was granted a pardon in return for Russian State secrets. He also helped to teach me English during my time in London, and took me into his family when I had no one. Alas, he was killed in action during the Spanish Civil War while aiding the revolutionaries there.
Since then I have taken to acting as guardian and pat-time paternal figure for his son, Samson, and take a great deal of pleasure in teaching him the fine art of brawling, as well as fine table manners.

Nikolai Markov, my second while I served in France and my betrayer.

What are your alliances?
The Lowell family and the British Military Council as military and strategic consultant.

Describe your romantic life.
Ah, a sore subject. When I lost my legs in France I also lost...this is difficult to put into words...my 'urges'. I sweek only companionship these days, someone with which I spend my twilight years and bore with stories of my mighty military conquests.

Social - To finally feel accepted in my adopted home.
Professional - To retire from the military and avenge myself upon Nikolai
Romantic - To spend the last of my years with Sarah Lowell, wife of the good Doctor, offering her the same companionship I seek.

In some ways, the death of my mother. This has been the driving force of my life in a way, as I always feel some guilt that it was my birth that proved her undoing.

Graduating from The Grand Military Academy. It was the only time I ever saw my father smile at me.

Acting as a military advisor for the British Council, offering my expertise in all matters, particularly in preparing new defences ashould my homeland attempt another attack across Europa.
I've also been tutoring young Samson in fighting technique, courtly manners and how to smoke cigars. His mother doesn't particularly approve of the latter.

Stats:
Athletics - Average
Charisma - Average
Comeliness - Poor
Connections - Great
Courage - Good
Education - Average
Exchequer - Great
Fencing - Good
Fisticuffs - Exceptional
Marksmanship - Average
Perception - Good
Performance - Good
Physician - Average
Physique - Good
Social Graces - Average
Sorcery - Poor
Stealth - Poor
Tinkering - Average
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:32:41 AM by coydna »

Offline Shuttle

• Herald
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
What is your Name?
The name? It's D'Ascoyne dear boy. Finlay Harvey Ascoyne D'Ascoyne.

Well I was born at Chalfont, the old family pile, on the table in the kitchen, or so Mama told me. Apparently I was too eager to join the world to give her time to reach her bed. Home for me these days though would be London, in a reasonably-sized townhouse off Leicester Square. Not as nice as old Chalfont, but with things the way they are between Ethelred and myself I shan't be going back there anytime soon.

What do you look like?
Well, as you can see by my photo, tall, handsome in a certain light and absolutely impeccably dressed!

What else is there to say, but that home was a lovely place, that Mama and Papa were the most caring and indulgent of parents and that we had the best of educations. I was a Winchester boy myself, and still proudly have the old school tie in the closet.When your family owns half of Kent you really have little to worry about. After that I joined the family's banking business and made a tidy package, enough to invest for myself and can safely live on those earnings for the rest of my life.

I suppose a certain level of ingenuity would count, as would an unflappable nature that would do anyone proud. But Mama was always most proud of my manners, saying those good manners could get a man anywhere, and they most certainly have.

Well it has to be said that, like a fair few of my relatives I do posess a certain... superiority? (I do wish to avoid the word arrogance. It implies that you aren't actually superior to those you're looking down upon...) And while I have been persuaded to stop smoking cigars it will be a chilled day in Tartarus before they take my pipe from my hand.

Describe the kind of clothing or dress you prefer, as well as any special quirks you affect as part of that style
Well I always go to Saville Row for my suits. If one has the means then it would be simply criminal not to buy the best. In the country I go for Harris tweeds, with their utter reliability and resistance to briars.

Impeccably charming.

Well, a good brandy is a delightful thing! But the family home of Chalfont is perhaps my favourite place in all the world. A large country house surrounded by acres of woodland. Sadly my brother Ethelred has forbidden me from entering the grounds due to our family feud and I will have to wait until his death before I will ever see my home again. My new home-from-home is the Diogenes Club, a delightfully quiet place, where all talking is forbidden. An old friend of mine, Lord Greystoke, reccomended it and I first encountered one of my new closest friends, Mycroft Holmes, within its silent halls. 

I hate to say it but my family really has done much to earn my ire. You see, they really do see themselves as the tops, and hang the rest of the world. Now obviously we are richer and better than most, but that brings about a certain obligation to help those less fortunate. Not that you could get them to admit that. I mean d--- it, you wouldn't be able to get them to understand what you meant! That just really gets my goat...

Noblesse oblige. We are blessed by birth so we owe it to others to repay our good fortune with hard work for their benefit.

I have the pipe that dear Sarah gave me before she was taken from me.

I have several friends, but I would say I value Samuel more than most of them. Samuel was one of the servants at Chalfont who disagreed with the family's decision to pressure Sarah into her choice,and he chose to leave service when I left. He now works for me at the town house, and I doubt he would ever leave my service until old age stops him moving. A reliable man like that is not to be taken lightly.

I hate to say it, but it would have to be my eldest brother, Ethelred. The man is a pig who hasn't had a magnaminous thought in his life. I'm sad to say it was probably grandmama who turned his head. Being the eldest his head was filled from the earliest age with the lineage of the family, stretching back to the Restoration, and he is dedicated to producing an heir. Worse is that the family supports him in this and when they brought the youngest daughter of the Redwood family to Chalfont for a visit and she fell in love with the wrong D'Ascoyne brother, both they and her own family bullied her into accepting Ethelred's proposal instead of mine. It was this action that finally drove the wedge between me and my family. Other than my other brother, Ascoyne, I have not spoken to any of the family in years.

What are your alliances?
Well, the chaps at the Diogenes Club are pretty useful fellows to know. You see Mycroft is a pretty big chap in government circles and uses us at the Diogenes to help him out with important stuff that has to be done quietly. Myself, I generally carry stuff across Europe for him, or act as financier and companion or others' travels. Some of the chaps, like Lord Greystoke and Lord Roxton, are more inclined to get involved in the fisticuffs and shooting, but that's all a bit energetic for me.

Since Sarah was forced into marriage with Ethelred I have had no romantic life. Well, technically not true. I should say that since Ethelred's wedding night I have had no romance in my life. Ethelred always had a unattractive love of the port bottle, and every bride deserves a proper wedding night...

Socially there is little left to do except wait for Ethelred to die and follow him into the position of Duke of Chalfont. Professionally I would hope that I could start doing more to help old Mycroft. He has mentioned the idea of using me to gather information in the upper circles of Europe, which sounds like it could be exciting. Romantically I only look forward to the day when I can be reunited with Sarah and o... her daughter.

More of a lack of action, I'm afraid. I almost persuaded Sarah to run away with me to the smithy at Gretna Green, but sadly we decided to try to persuade our families instead. And you know how well that went.

When Johnny Roxton got involved in a scrape in the Chancellor's Palace in Prussia earlier this year I managed to liberate a hansom cab and came driving in to rescue him as he came running down the steps. It certainly was exciting, fleeing through the midnight streets, the bullets whizzing around us as he fired his custom-made Enfield revolvers back at our pursuers. I'd never done anything like that before and it certainly made me keener to get involved in other Diogenes work.

Mostly jumping from club to club when I'm in London, the Diogenes, the Reform, the Athenaeum, the Drones. I go out to the country piles of my friends when I'm invited. And I often travel around Europe, sometimes on Diogenes business, sometimes just for the pleasure of it. I visit soirees, balls, the opera and other social gatherings, and enjoy myself though my flirtations are never entirely serious these days. Oh, and then there's the management of the orphanage I fund, which always seems to take up so much of my time, but you can't really complain about such things can you?

Charisma - Great
Athletics - Good
Comliness - Good
Education - Good
Social Graces - Good
Sorcery - Poor

Extras
Fencing - Poor (-2)
Fisticuffs - Poor (-2)
Marksmanship - Poor (-2)
Tinkering - Poor (-2)
Connections - Exceptional (+4)
Exchequer - Exceptional (+4)

Offline BatMandalore

• Herald
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
What is your Name?
Samuel Herrmann, named for my grandfather.

I was born in Paris, as nineteen years ago my father had a stint of shows there.
Whilst I am often on tour across Europa, I maintain a small town house in Vienna.

What do you look like?
I am slender, with a bush of black hair. Much like my father and uncle, I sport an imperial beard, and handlebar moustache. My dark eyes are said to have a mischievous glint to them.

My father was often on tour with my uncle, and whilst I was a child he often often left me and mother behind. As I got older father taught me his stage-craft, and I too joined them on tour. As Alexander got older, I would take on the roles in the shows that my uncle had used when he was my age. Eventually I fully took on the position when Alexander and Carl went their separate ways.

My performances mix the best elements of my father and uncles approach.  Mixing up the mystique of Carl’s shows, with the charm and humour of Alexander’s.

I believe I can often take on to much of my stage persona, which can lead to me being secretive when I don’t need to be.

Unless I am travelling incognito, I can often be found in my stage clothes;  Black velvet evening clothes, with a top hat and white gloves

Mysterious & Charming

I adore the appreciation of a crowd after a successful performance.

The arguments that erupted backstage between my father and uncle rate as my worst memories. I dearly wish to get my family back together, as I despise the atmosphere that currently stands between them.

A magician never reveals his secrets.

A pocket-watch my father gave me after my first performance as his assistant.

My family.

William Fay, who works with the Davenport Brothers. He has taken a dislike to my family and I. He has even taken to spreading slanderous rumours that I stole a trick, which he falsely claims to have devised.

What are your alliances?
My family are my closest friends, even if they themselves are not currently talking to each other. I also have many other contacts within the magic circle.

As I am often on tour, I have not had the time to settle down with anyone.

I wish to gain recognition within the Illuminated Brotherhood, as members of my family have before me.

I have just began to embark upon a career of my own, and wish to make a name for myself under its own merit.

Once I have my own career running smoothly I would not object to courtship, but till then I do not wish to be tied down.

When my uncle and father had their parting of ways, I feel I did not do enough to smooth out their disagreements. I wish I knew what I could have said or done to make their separation more amicable.

My first ever solo performance, just nine months ago in London. Whilst not as grand as my father’s shows have become, I am pleased with what I accomplished on my more modest budget.

Until roughly a year ago I was my father’s assistant upon the stage, however I have endeavoured to start my own career. As a result I have been touring Europa with my own stage show for the last nine months.

Great Performance
Good Sorcery
Good Charisma
Good Tinkering (as the stage shows don't actually use real sorcery...)
Good Education

Poor Fisticuffs

Extras
Poor Fencing (-2)
Poor Marksmanship (-2)
Good Perception (+1)
Good Connections (+1)
Good Stealth (+1)
Good Physician (+1)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:41:01 PM by BatMandalore »

Offline Sir Harry Flashman

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • VC, KCB, KCIE
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
Everything looks tip-top! I shall get working on a game thread - which should be up in a couple of days - should all go to plan... *runs to knock on some wood*

Offline BatMandalore

• Herald
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
Gah! Just noticed I missed off the Extras bit of my copy/paste, it's now been added...

Advertisement