Author Topic: Dark Magic (HARP) OOC  (Read 57936 times)

Offline Jaeru

• Marquis
Re: Dark Magic (HARP) OOC
« Reply #1060 on: June 01, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
Ok that suggests he was seriously demoted after his falling out with Auris

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #1061 on: June 02, 2020, 01:33:15 AM »
Ok that suggests he was seriously demoted after his falling out with Auris

Works for me. Nameless also would have suggested, or implemented if Auris gave him leeway, splitting up Jylnath and his buddies across squads.
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Hayek

• Viscount
« Reply #1062 on: June 02, 2020, 05:35:13 PM »
Auris would certainly have approved!

Offline Jaeru

• Marquis
« Reply #1063 on: June 13, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
I've been tinkering with the HARP rules and the excel character sheet with the aim of streamlining things and make it more manageable for all. Please check out the following link for the excels: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AowOg8XZs3IKghuXue6NufUQXC69

Curious to hear what you guys think.

Biggest changes are:
- Life points (adjusted version of the optional rule in HARP) This greatly eases my admin of battles. If you are all on board, I'd like to experiment with this. It will be an experiment and as such all will get an additional fatepoint to avoid unfortunate deaths as a result of this new rule
- Streamlining skills: the old character sheet (which I borrowed in any case) was too confusing for me. So I cut out a lot of skills I don't like in the rules (all the concentration skills) or which were vocational in nature (i.e. artistic, vocational skills are now optional) and made it more adventuring centered (I took some inspiration from the much easier skill list in MERP)
- Beefing up the influencing skills: fits with the game and makes that willpower RR a bit more relevant
- Easier rules regarding Maneuver rolls: I took some inspiration from D&D which is more streamlined here
- Encumbrance: I calculated armor into the character sheet and simplified it, so we now actually use it. I cut out regular encumbrance. I'm allowing a backpack full of normal stuff (not stuffed with gold for example) and nothing more. If you want more, get a horse and saddle bags :-)
- Spell preparation: the formula in HARP was cumbersome and didn't really reward scaling spells. Now it's more easier and makes scaling more interesting (i.e. without making the spells sloooooowwww)
- Missile attacks: streamlined reloading and range modifiers there as well, so we might actually use them for once ;-)

I also brought everything combat wise together, so hopefully you can now add all modifiers to your rolls yourself without having to consult the rulebook. Helps me, you and hopefully reduces the time required to execute an attack.

So hope you guys like it. Curious to your comments. If everyone is positive we'll port the PCs to the new character sheet and try the new house/combat rules.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #1064 on: June 15, 2020, 01:52:39 AM »
See my post under house rules

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #1065 on: June 15, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »

I may need some help recalling the base DPs for the original build vs. current version.

Offline Jaeru

• Marquis
« Reply #1066 on: June 15, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Don’t worry, we can deduce the number of DPs you got ove time...I don’t mean to redo the characters...at most a skill or two need to be changed the majority can just be ported over. The excel sheet will do the rest.

Offline Hayek

• Viscount
« Reply #1067 on: June 15, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
In the 'houserules' tab the focus is mainly on melee combat - is everything set for magic too?
Also because as far as I can tell, it would still require continuous referral to the source PDFs for scaling of spells (range, potency etc etc).

Offline Jaeru

• Marquis
« Reply #1068 on: June 15, 2020, 07:44:44 PM »
Yes that is unfortunately correct. I can’t summarize 100 spells...scaling depends on the particular spell, but at least preparation, rr are now streamlined and can be found on the tab.

Offline Hayek

• Viscount
« Reply #1069 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:02 AM »
Then it might be good to find a shortcut for that as well. Now we would, strictly speaking, need to refer to tables for the different scaling variants and again for the damage/effect of a spell.

Might be a whole lot simpler if we would simply look at the intended effect of a spell, and use a variation on table 1 for this. (e.g. minor damage intended: use the numbers for maneuvres, normal damage intended add 25, catastrophic damage intended add 50) and dispense with range modifiers, size modifiers in 7 or so categories, radius, duration etc. etc. Would mean GMs discretion on how to rank the intended effects, but in essence we have that already, as debating all the variables is way to cumbersome and simply not fun at all.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #1070 on: June 16, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »

Btw is the current combat going to continue in parallel with the PC conversion?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #1071 on: June 18, 2020, 01:50:16 AM »
Then it might be good to find a shortcut for that as well. Now we would, strictly speaking, need to refer to tables for the different scaling variants and again for the damage/effect of a spell.

Might be a whole lot simpler if we would simply look at the intended effect of a spell, and use a variation on table 1 for this. (e.g. minor damage intended: use the numbers for maneuvres, normal damage intended add 25, catastrophic damage intended add 50) and dispense with range modifiers, size modifiers in 7 or so categories, radius, duration etc. etc. Would mean GMs discretion on how to rank the intended effects, but in essence we have that already, as debating all the variables is way to cumbersome and simply not fun at all.

I think the there might be 2 columns in the table one for utility spells and one for elemental/attack spells.  then there could be a standard PP add for range multiples, radii multiples, duration multiples, etc.  For example, an increase in range for a utility spell might cost an extra 2 PP, while a similar increase for an attach spell might be 4 or even 5  extra PP.  A similar system could be used for each of the other scaling factors.  That would leave on adjudicating the actual effects, i.e. damage, healing, number of targets affected, etc to determine for the scaling effects.

Offline Jaeru

• Marquis
« Reply #1072 on: June 18, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »
I’ll have a look at that...but it will require some work and time, so don’t expect anything soonish ;-)

Offline Jaeru

• Marquis
« Reply #1073 on: June 18, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
Let’s finish the current combat under the old rules and start conversion after

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk