HOME DOWNLOADS

*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 11:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350412
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 7
Total: 8

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

2

4

6

8

10

12

20

100

1

2

3

4

5

6

8

10

Author Topic: IC - Stranded in Space  (Read 22970 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline allenmaher

  • Herald
  • ****
  • Posts: 63
    • http://sask.nfgh.com
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2005, 03:46:42 AM »
Phill - in the cargo area

"So who are we shooting at? And which way to the turrets?"

Looks around and get ready to be usefull, he just doesn't quite know how right now.
spends a moment pondering bags that have tricks in them.

"If I get to shoot something, today is going to be a very good day."
Cyradon On-line Digital Gaming Table Campaign.  Every friday night 7:00pm PST / 10:00pm EST
Always room for more players...

Offline ob1knorrb

  • Moderator
  • Baron
  • *
  • Posts: 1900
    • ICE RPG Webring
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2005, 03:47:45 AM »
Quote from: QUOTE(crayok @ Oct 7 2005, 07:49 AM)
Prescott Harland - Shiip's Bridge[/font]

I turn whatever sensors this flying dustbin has towards where i spotted the explosions
"Hey ! Did you notice that ?"
"Seems there's some commotion near L4."

"Now, which of these buttons on this panel works the sensors? Hmmmm..." [/color]
[size=8]Prescott Signalling Roll: 58 + Skill -25 = 33[/size]

[OOC] Sadly, I think I missed the fact that Sensors are handled with the signaling skill, so most of you probably don't have it, although I'm sure someone got it as part of a training package...  I need to do up a summary sheet for myself with everyone's skills on it.

Offline jaysek

  • Knight of the Purple Sash
  • **
  • Posts: 153
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2005, 09:22:07 AM »
The Dutchman:

On his way to the main turret.
"OK, let's have a look at those sensors, shall we? although I don't pretend to be an expert (signaling skill 12), I'm sorry to say that you're way off, see... over here...." "And get someone to opperate the defence systems!"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 09:28:43 AM by jaysek »

Offline crayok

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3640
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2005, 10:03:16 AM »
Prescott Harland - Shiip's Bridge[/font]

As i swear profusely
"Crap ! Should have taken this optional in Sensor Operation back in university. Too bad repairing ain't be helpful at using it."

"Sensors all yours mr gunner. No stressing for shields pal, THAT i know to use. Lest pray though caus' been a long time since i last i had to use these."
"A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack."
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

Offline lonejedi

  • Squire
  • *****
  • Posts: 82
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
Pilot - Reegus

Mumbling to himself - "I have a bad feeling about this."
-Lone Jedi
(Jason Buchanan)
Co-Owner, Code Monkey Publishing, LLC
http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

Offline ob1knorrb

  • Moderator
  • Baron
  • *
  • Posts: 1900
    • ICE RPG Webring
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2005, 03:03:17 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(jaysek @ Oct 8 2005, 09:22 AM)
The Dutchman:

On his way to the main turret.
"OK, let's have a look at those sensors, shall we? although I don't pretend to be an expert (signaling skill 12), I'm sorry to say that you're way off, see... over here...." "And get someone to opperate the defence systems!"

From the amazing amount of information you gather from the sensors, it is instantly obvious that you aren't in immediate danger. From what you picked up, it seems that a large group of Silth fighters, around 20 have jumped into the system at high speed.  A few seem to have impacted the asteroids that are in the area of the L4 point.  This occurred about an hour ago, maybe slightly more. There is a small group of Federation ships posted at the L4 point, they managed to take out a few more of the Silth fighters.  Most of the surviving Silth fighters are flying towards the Space Station with the Federation fighters in hot pursuit, but the Silth were already moving at top speed and the Federation is starting from a stand still.  The Silth fighters have fired a volley of missiles at the Space Station and there are additional Federation fighters at the Station that are preparing to engage. There are 15 Federation fighters in each group, so they should be able to handle the Silth, but things could be ugly for awhile.  The explosion you saw was some Federation missiles intercepting some of the incoming Silth missiles.
You do detect that there are at least a couple of Silth fighters that are moving directly from the L4 point to the L5 point rather than heading towards the Space Station.  It appears that you should be able to beat them there, depending on how much you decelerate before you get there and whether they fire any missiles at you along the way.  They likely won't detect that you are heading towards the L5 point for quite some time (unless they also end up with an open ended Signalling roll).  Assuming of course that you choose to head that way.
 You've picked up enough information from the sensors that you will be able to calculate the times for likely scenarios fairly accurately.


[ October 8, 2005, 7:33 am ] - ob1knorrb rolled 1d100 and obtained 96. Reason : The Dutchman Signaling Roll.
[ October 8, 2005, 7:34 am ] - ob1knorrb rolled 1d100 and obtained 93. Reason : The Dutchman: Followup Open Ended Signalling.
Total = 96+93 + 12 =211

Offline jaysek

  • Knight of the Purple Sash
  • **
  • Posts: 153
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2005, 03:54:11 PM »
The Dutchman

Informs the rest of the people on the bridge, especially those who seem more used to calculations than he is. He stays with the sensors until someone he thinks of as more suited shows up, or until he should be maning the main gun.

to everyone who'll listen:
"I think we should man the missile protection and shield systems first, then I'll take the guns if neccesary, don't know if we should help those federal bastards or make a run for it though, if we start running now, we'll probably be able to get to the L5 gate before the Silths, anyhow, this station will take a couple of missiles in a short while, so we should get out of here fast... this'll be nasty quite soon."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 04:10:25 PM by jaysek »

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(munchy @ Oct 6 2005, 10:44 PM)
basic medical operations and nursing duties. I'm here to be your extra pair of hands and your assistant.
The Doctor:

The Doctor's upper lip raises in what could be taken for either a smile or a sneer as he continues to scan his subordinate.  

"Just as long as you remember who's in charge, nurse.  Give me your arm for your standard immunity booster for colonial diseases.  You can then administer one to the rest of the crew."


He gets a blister pack with three green stripes on it, pops out one of the single use nanotechnology infusers and administers the shot.  If no warnings have been issued he sends the nurse out to work.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Maelstrom

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4627
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »
Before the ride gets to incredibly bumpy, Toulaan pulls the suit from the locker and dons it as quickly as he can then attempts to calm his nerves to await any further revelations.
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  The life I live in this body I live by faith in Jesus Christ who loves me and gave himself up for me.

Offline TJ

  • GamesMasters
  • Baron
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2005, 01:11:07 AM »
Ryan - Leaving the Cargo Bay

"Phill, I think it's time we suited up. Come on and I'll show you to your station." As Ryan reaches the lockers he grabs out a pair of suits and passes one to Phill. Pointing towards the gunner position, "Have at it, and enjoy your day."

Ryan moves to the bridge and reports in. "Reegus, I've got the decoys should they be needed, but I'd feel much better if you just got us out of here before we need them."
HARP.... High Adventure Role Playing!
HARP SF....  The Sci-Fi Solution to Role Playing!
Apprentice of the Guild

Offline lonejedi

  • Squire
  • *****
  • Posts: 82
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2005, 01:31:43 AM »
Reegus - The Pilot

"I'm punching it for the exit vector now.  As soon as these coordinates are locked I'm going to suit up and then prepare to jump."
-Lone Jedi
(Jason Buchanan)
Co-Owner, Code Monkey Publishing, LLC
http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

Offline allenmaher

  • Herald
  • ****
  • Posts: 63
    • http://sask.nfgh.com
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »
Phill (at the gunners station)

Quickly dons suit, powers on the control systems and prepares to fire.  Then waits...
"C'mmon get here quick, waiting sucks!" he mutters.
Cyradon On-line Digital Gaming Table Campaign.  Every friday night 7:00pm PST / 10:00pm EST
Always room for more players...

Offline ob1knorrb

  • Moderator
  • Baron
  • *
  • Posts: 1900
    • ICE RPG Webring
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2005, 02:57:57 AM »
The additional calculations from the sensor readings are in.
Your ship, the Jenny Allen, is currently 1AU from the L4 Jump Point and you are starting from a stand still
The Silth fighters entered the system slightly more than an hour ago at full speed at the L4 Jump Point, they have travelled .5AU so far.  There are three fighters heading directly to the L5 jump point. It is 1.772 AUs from L4 to L5, the fighters have them same top speed as you, .07C or .5AU per hour, so currently they are 1.25 AU away from L5 (the extra .022 covers the extra few minutes over one hour).
It takes the Jenny Allen an hour to hit top speed and she travels .25AU in that hour.  That puts you .75AU away from L5.  The Silth fighters will have travelled another .5 AU and will also be .75AU away from L5. A little trig calculation puts you about .38AU apart at that point. Assuming all the ships travel at top speed for another hour, you are then all .25AU away from the L5 point, and about .125 AU apart, which is 18,750,000 KM.  You normally wouldn't expect the Silth fighters to be carrying missiles that had a range of more than 10,000,000 KM, but the fighters that launched missiles at the Space Station fired from around 100,000,000 KM away. Missiles with that sort of range are big and expensive, so it's quite likely that only the fighter craft designated for attacking the Space Station would be carrying them.
So, it really comes down to the last .25AU.  Assuming all ships either keep traveling at full speed, or are all decelerating, then you are within missile range when you get to .1AU away from L5.  Where it gets interesting is if you start decelerating at different times.
Note, ship to ship weapon combat (Lasers and Autocannons) doesn't even become remotely feasible until you are under 2000KM apart.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:04:52 AM by ob1knorrb »

Offline jaysek

  • Knight of the Purple Sash
  • **
  • Posts: 153
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »
The Dutchman
Is sensing away (especially from L4 to and around L5)... But will get ready to his post as soon as he feels danger growing near.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 08:25:37 PM by jaysek »

Offline ob1knorrb

  • Moderator
  • Baron
  • *
  • Posts: 1900
    • ICE RPG Webring
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2005, 02:59:48 AM »
You've got lots of time to work the sensors as you approach the decision point.  About the only new thing you learn is that there is a civilian passenger liner that is also headed to the L5 Jump Point.
You arrive at the  .25 AU point where you need to decide what you are going to do next.

The passenger liner is ahead of you,  it is decelerating and looks like it plans to come to almost a complete stop before making the jump. It still has about 40 minutes left before it gets to L5.  The Silth fighters are just slightly behind of you, two of them have started decelerating, one has not.


There are three likely plans of action for you at this point.  You can start decelerating immediately so that you will be able to come to nearly a complete stop when you hit L5.  However, this means that the three Silth fighters can definitely be at the jump point waiting for you.  It also means that the Silth fighter that is not decelerating could make it to the jump point before the passenger liner can jump.

At the other extreme, you could continue towards the L5 jump point at full speed, thus guaranteeing that you will beat the Silth fighters, with the exception of possibly have a missile or two to deal with.  However, since it would only take you 30 minutes to reach the jump point at top speed, you would also leave the passenger liner to the mercy of the Silth. It also means a fairly difficult maneuver to Jump.

The third choice is to split the difference.  If you continue at top speed for just slightly more than 7 minutes, then do a constant deceleration until you hit L5, then you arrive at the same time as the passenger liner and be traveling at just under 50% of your top speed.  You should be able to keep the Silth fighter occupied so the passenger liner can jump, and you will have an easier jump than if you were moving faster. Of course you'll also have at least one Silth fighter to deal with.  (You could also start decelerating now, then stop decelerating when you hit half speed. I'm not that the math is exactly the same but close enough)

Of course, should the Silth decide to do something unexpected, then plans could change :)



[ October 13, 2005, 7:23 pm ] - ob1knorrb rolled 1d100 and obtained 64. Reason : Dutchman Signalling.  64+12 =76
[ October 13, 2005, 7:24 pm ] - ob1knorrb rolled 1d100 and obtained 86. Reason : Dutchman Signalling Followup. 86+12=98

Offline crayok

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3640
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2005, 08:51:05 PM »
Prescott Harland - Shiip's Bridge[/font]

Looking inquiringly at Ryan
"So Boss , what do we do now ?"
"A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack."
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

Offline TJ

  • GamesMasters
  • Baron
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2005, 03:05:38 AM »
Ryan  sighs deeply, "Part of me is itching to tell you to go full speed and let them worry about themselves, but I'm not sure I can live with that."  Ryan looks around the crew, pauses a moment and then announces. "I can't promise any more money, and I know this wasn't part of the job you were hired for, but unless there's an objection - let's run some interference and see what we can do to help them escape."
HARP.... High Adventure Role Playing!
HARP SF....  The Sci-Fi Solution to Role Playing!
Apprentice of the Guild

Offline lonejedi

  • Squire
  • *****
  • Posts: 82
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2005, 03:53:19 AM »
Reegus - Pilot - Bridge

"By your command," Reegus winked to Ryan.

"I'll try to cut our arrival close so that we stay as far ahead of those fighters as we can, but without blowing past the liner.  If we get a little lucky we may only have to fight off that one speedy ship for a minute or two before we can all Jump outta here."

{I still have a bad feeling about this,} he worried to himself.
-Lone Jedi
(Jason Buchanan)
Co-Owner, Code Monkey Publishing, LLC
http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

Offline jaysek

  • Knight of the Purple Sash
  • **
  • Posts: 153
    • http://
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2005, 03:25:19 PM »
The dutchman

"OK, I'll buckle up then" Then he leaves for his station..

Offline crayok

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3640
IC - Stranded in Space
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2005, 07:07:34 PM »
Prescott Harland - Shiip's Bridge[/font]

Acquiescing at Ryan
"Roger that Boss , let's give these slith a ride."

Then ibuckle up and begin to check up and operate the force shields.

"You know what ? The better shape we come out of this the better sill be the bottle i'll let you have a share of ... and i am knowledgeable about that.." on a cheerful tone
"A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack."
"Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain! " - Big Trouble in Little China

 

Ridgway Photography