HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 03:42:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350837
  • Total Topics: 7463
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Get the Band Together? (Rules-light d100)  (Read 839 times)

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
Get the Band Together? (Rules-light d100)
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:37:42 AM »
Any interest in a musical game? No? Wait! Let me explain! It's not what you think... :lol:

Looking for 3-5 players... characters would be members of a band. Guitarist, drummer, bass player, you get the idea. The genre details are negotiable (rock, country, jazz, metal, blues, gospel, we can discuss your preferences) as is the timeframe (I'm thinking 60s-70s, but any era works. Hell, if you all want to make it a bunch of Medieval harpists, I'll make that work!)

Really rules-light, we'd just roll a d100 for tests; the higher the number, the better the result. Each character could pick a couple of skills that would get a small bonus to relevant rolls... but we'll keep it simple.

Fair warning, this would be a sandbox game. I've got a couple of hooks in mind to get things started, but no real "plot." So the players really will determine the direction of the story.

Any takers?

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
  • "May Shiggeth Cha guide us." -Marjan (EPT Game)
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
Re: Get the Band Together? (Rules-light d100)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 03:02:49 AM »
I dig it.  Count me in.  I ran a convention 1-shot where all of the characters were clones of Dave Mustaine (Megadeth lead singer) in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  They quoted various metal lyrics to produce weird powers.  The skills we had were stuff like, Break Stuff, Burn Stuff, Guitar Solo, etc.  hehe. 

I'd like to play some sort of drummer in whatever you come up with. 
:mice 1d100:  :mice 1d20+1:  :mice 3d6:  :mice 1D6+1:  "m" -> "d"

"After awhile, I began using the simplest possible system with my own gaming groups. As my old friend, Dave Arneson, and I agreed, one simple die roll is all that one needs: failure or success. The players don’t really care, as long as the roll is honest. Who cares if I hit with the flat of my shield, with the edge of my shield, or whatever? The story’s the thing!" -M. A. R. Barker

http://samwise7.yolasite.com/

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 03:06:15 AM »
Video link of the character sheets I made for that game.  They were wrapped around two taped together tin cans. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncYXF3lJCgg

"After awhile, I began using the simplest possible system with my own gaming groups. As my old friend, Dave Arneson, and I agreed, one simple die roll is all that one needs: failure or success. The players don’t really care, as long as the roll is honest. Who cares if I hit with the flat of my shield, with the edge of my shield, or whatever? The story’s the thing!" -M. A. R. Barker

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »
Haha very cool. Yeah I remember watching Dave Mustaine on mTV.  How funny... I bet that would be a hard game to forget...  :lol:

This game will be set more in the “real” world, but of course strange things will happen from time to time.

Thanks for the interest! We’ve got a drummer.

Any more takers? One more and I'll request a board.

Edit: samwise7 I watched that video just now... :lol: :lol: :lol: Kip Winger? I'm gonna laugh about that all day...awesome.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:01:27 PM by Barrow »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
Well, here's the mechanics if we get this off the ground.

1d100 for each test. Higher is better. A natural roll above 90 is a crit, below 10 is a flop. In either of these extreme cases, I'll reserve the right to break all laws of nature, reason, and common sense when determining results. In-between results will normally be more mundane.

Each player will be able to pick three areas of talent, which will give his character a small bonus on rolls. These can be reasonably broad... Running, Fixing Stuff, Talking to Chicks, etc. would be good examples. One talent gets +20, the other two get +10.  No musical or performance talents during character generation, though, that will come later. (You'll be starting at a "garage-band" level).

Each character will have only one stat: Strut. It will range from -100 to 100. It's a measure of health & wealth & lifestyle, etc. If you get too far towards either extreme, well, things will get interesting.

The band itself will also have a single stat: Mojo. It's a measure of success, coolness, fame, etc, and it's shared between all players. Everyone contributes to it, and anyone can draw from it. Think of it as how happy the Rock & Roll gods are with you as a group. Theoretically, it has no upper or lower limits, but if it gets way below zero the band will break up. (Then you'll have to age your characters 20 years and then get back together for a reunion tour!  :lol:)

I'll post more specific details about Strut and Mojo if we get a game going. They will be related, indirectly.  You can earn both, spend both, or even exchange one for the other. It'll depend on the situation... more on all this later. Don't expect many definite rules on it... the Rock & Roll gods are fickle.  :mellow:

====================================================

Couple of ideas for era / setting...

1920s or 30s, deep South. Young, Dirt-poor farmers, playing blues in their free time on homemade instruments.

1960s hippies, playing on the street for pennies, living in a van. Hand-me-down gear.

1970s-early 1980s suburbia. Late teens-early 20 somethings, starting out in Dad's garage, with pawn-store gear.

Late 80s-90s. Old long grey hair burnouts, in their 50s-60s. Never made it big, but came close, back in the day. They have a regular gig at the bowling alley. Midrange quality gear, but time has taken its toll on their fire.

I'm open to other ideas, too! Just let me know.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:55:33 PM by Barrow »

Offline Jaeru

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
Sounds intruiging...

Definitely 1960s hippies. I'm thinking of the following skillset: +20 taking substances, +10 talking to women, +10 either brawling or bullshitting or recognising "narcs"  :lol:

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:53 AM »
Haha very good. Is he gonna play an instrument too?  :lol:

I’ll start moving forward with the 60s-era plan then!  :wizi:

=== Edit. There I go writing rules already. Who let The Man in? :rolleyes: I'll just say we'll shoot for PG-13.===

I’ll be mostly offline until Friday. When I get back, I’ll request the board. In the meantime, anyone else want in?

edit: deleted some "rules" already.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:17:02 PM by Barrow »

Offline Jaeru

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
Guitar...what else  :lol:

I'm basically going to play a Keith Richard wannabee...unless we play heavy metal...in that case it will be a Toni Lommi wannabee (I'll change one of the skills to brawling then  :yes: )

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »
Haha perfect!

Now that I think about it, don't sweat music genres too much at the beginning. You can pick something, but we can also let it evolve in-game as the band develops. (ie Start out folk-y, follow the girls and money to rock then to metal, and then after a 20 year burnout cut a country album... something like that!  :lol:)

Or you guys can stay true to your roots... "No way, man, I'm not a sellout, man..."

Haha we'll see what happens!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:10:45 PM by Barrow »

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
Edit: samwise7 I watched that video just now... :lol: :lol: :lol: Kip Winger? I'm gonna laugh about that all day...awesome.

Kip.  Winger.   :wizi:

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
Anything 1960's on works for me.  I lean more toward rock/metal.  The idea of being in a garage band that plays at a local dive once a week sounds great. 

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
LOL "I'm in Man, I'm in...."

Tortured Vocalist with Classical aspirations.....

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
Tortured Vocalist with Classical aspirations.....

Lol I almost snorted my drink when I read this.

Drummer, guitar, singer. We’ve got a band, man!

I’ll go van-shopping this weekend...  :lol:  in the meantime, still room for 1-2 more... bass player and keyboards, maybe? No experience required!  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:39:35 AM by Barrow »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:16:53 AM »
Anything 1960's on works for me.  I lean more toward rock/metal.  The idea of being in a garage band that plays at a local dive once a week sounds great.

How about this...
Mid 1960s. Your characters are late teens or early 20s. They are currently part-time musicians with day jobs or school. They get gigs sometimes, but nothing regular.  At least one of them still lives with their parents, who have a single car garage where they practice several times a week.

The music they’re playing as we start is what’s now called Blues Rock.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_rock

They like the groove, but they’re still looking for their “sound.”  So it can evolve in many directions as we progress.  If this goes well your band will be, er, instrumental in music history. (Sorry  :rolleyes:)

Everyone okay with this? I don’t wanna get hung up on musical  genre in a text-based game.  The “rock & roll” lifestyle is what will hopefully be the focus of the game, rather than the exact music. But I also want you guys to be invested, so I want it to be something you’re all into.  :mellow:

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
Have to admit I'd prefer the early 80's...

Same musical genre, but with some fall-back on other stuff, like Prog Rock, Thrash Metal, Pomp Rock.... Punk, electro pop...Reggae,  it had it all.

I like the 80's it had a wealth of musical genres. Besides that's when I was a teenager!

Besides all the band members don't have to *like* the same thing... and that could add a little humour to the game as we try and find *our* sound.

Offline Jaeru

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Maybe our band could become the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal:lol:

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
I know the 80s better, but the 60s might be a bit of a fun challenge for me. 

I like the idea of being a senior in high school, and I still live with my parents, and the band practices in my parent's garage. 

I'm sure there are some awesome van pictures out there.  hehe. 

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
I like the van.

I'm definitely more with the 1980's themes... but that doesn't mean the character is. I imagine him as a "has-been-moment-of-stardom" type of hippy from the 60-70's.

Trying to make a come back with the "hip and happening" youngsters.

He'll just turn up at the garage in response to a postcard posted at the local store. ;)

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
We’ve got a place to play, man!

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=9102.new#new

Thanks GB.

So far just an OOC thread, but I posted some info. Please take a look!

Advertisement