HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 01:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350764
  • Total Topics: 7462
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Episode 1.11: What Do Klingons Call a 'Klingon Standoff'?  (Read 16673 times)

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
Episode 1.11: What Do Klingons Call a 'Klingon Standoff'?
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
Captain's Log, Stardate 8664.3: After a week's shore leave at Starbase 11, the Drake has been patrolling the Klingon border, near Delta Outposts Six, Seven, and Eight. It has been largely quiet, which, as the commodore likes to say, is enough to worry him.

On a personal note, I received a communique from Dr. Spengler, who says the commendations I forwarded for the cadets have been received and noted, and the demerits for the ACRTIP incident removed from their records.

Cadet Sonek has been shadowing Lt. Cmdr. Tyler since his arrival; he is taking to his chosen field naturally. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Mr. Sorak looked rather pleased...

The Drake is cruising at warp factor 3 about a half-day out of outpost 7. The Alpha shift is on duty, with Cadet Sonek standing next to Paula at the library computer station. The neutral zone is quiet.

As the captain is reading a fuel report just handed to him by Yeoman Zorana, a panel on Miguel's communications station lights up. He taps a gem on his console and begins to hear a faint signal in his earpiece - it's difficult to make out.

OOC: Okay, the new guy gets the first crack at a task.

This will be a Reason + Engineering task vs. Difficulty 1. Roll away. :)

Oh, and all of the major characters may be on the bridge, if they so desire.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:18:27 PM by Dafydd Jones »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Re: Episode 1.11: What Do Klingons Call a 'Klingon Standoff'?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
Miguel snaps to as his attention is drawn to the console. He mentally berates himself, he'd obviously been day-dreaming. Although, for him, this often meant simply translating and reciting complex song lyrics and poems of various languages into the more common languages.. and vice versa. 

-------------------
Reason +Engineering (16)
Rolled 2d20 : 7, 18, total 25

Offline Ronin84

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Keeping a constant watch on the screens, the silence is deafening out here is all that Rafe can think about.  Their ready Rafe, it's a good crew you have down there on weapons, they blew away their best reaction times, stop fidgeting.  Smiling to himself for talking to himself.

Noticing the young communications officers hand moving towards his earpiece and his controls...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:18:13 AM by Ronin84 »

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
    • CODA Star Trek RPG Support Site
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
OOC: And an appropriate Focus, too. Nice start!
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
OOC: There's nothing Rafe can roll for at the moment. :) That said, it's not hard to notice the change from routine at comms.

1 Success for Miguel, so the task is successful (0 Momentum gained).

It's faint, faint enough to force him to boost the gain on the incoming signal, but it's definitely a distress call. In his earpiece, he can make out...

"...survey ship Skathi. We're...attack over Zeta Eridani...any ships, respond...repeat...this is..."

Miguel loses the signal at that point.

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
OOC: Would his Subspace Communications Focus come into play? That would make 2 successes and generate some Momentum.

Offline Ronin84

• Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
OOC: Sorry thought it was said we could all roll but that's ok I was trying to figure out how to post that...

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
OOC: For a Focus to generate a second success, the die result has to be equal to or less than the character's Discipline score. Without the Focus, he'd need a 1 on the die to get a second success.

And, as a general reminder, always check to see if you have a Focus or Talent that would apply to the task, and mention it when you make the roll. :)

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
Treyva looked over the report, signed it, and handed it back to the young Denobulan yeoman. "Thank you, Zorana," he said in their native language. "After shift change, would you like to meet and have a snack in Rec Room 2? We can catch up on all the news from back home."

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »
As hard as she had worked to get this assignment, and as excited as she was to work for a Denobulan starship captain, it still seemed to catch her off-guard that said idol asked to meet off-duty to just be, well, Denobulans. The shocked expression on her face was fleeting, and she quickly replaced it with a genuine smile and replied, "That would be fantastic, sir. I'll see you there."

Offline Dougals

• Baron
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »
Sorak reviewed power status at the engineering station and listened to the bridge chatter,  including the Captain's log entry. Indeed he was pleased for his son, but not because of his performance. Rather Sorak was pleased his son had found s field that he enjoyed, something the Vulcan had struggled with himself.

Noting the activity at Communications, Sorak looked up, his expression once more sober, and glanced across the bridge.
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Offline llashb

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
OOC:  You might alert the Sick Bay that we might have injured coming in.

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 05:47:07 AM »
Treyva smiled in return. As he did so, he saw his communications officer knit his brow and lift his hand to the receiver in his ear. "What have you got, Miguel?" he asked, the smile fading quickly.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »
Miguel turns in his seat..

"Captain, A distress call, from a survey ship, the Skathi. Apparently under attack whilst in orbit over Zeta Eridani. I then lost the signal.."

-----------------------------

If he can he'll then try to determine the reason for the loss of signal.. at the same time trying to re-establish communications.. not sure whether that would be allowed or required.

OOC: Also I personally have little knowledge of where Zeta Eriandi might be in relation to our ships current location... or what race operates the "Skathi". Can we assume that attempting these checks be made in addition to another check?     

OOC: Re. Focuses, I'd assumed that one would apply (i.e. Subspace Comms), but would have mentioned it had the roll been low enough, which it wasn't ;)

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »
OOC: Feel free to make another Reason + Engineering task roll; Subspace Communications Focus will apply.

For the location, I will say there's no task needed; Zeta Eridani is a nearby system, about 1.5 light years or so from your current position. (For those of you with the Star Charts book, it's about 2ly toward Earth from Organia, under the name Zibal. Yes, we're in Organia's neighborhood...)

For the origin of the Skathi, that would be a Reason + Conn task, Difficulty 0 to determine it's planet of origin and current "flag." I had envisioned this as something Lt. Cmdr. Tyler would have Sonek do, but someone needs to finish his son's secondary character sheet. ;) (Poking Doug!)

By the way, you folks start with 0 Momentum in your pool. In contrast, the starting Threat pool is 5. (It's normally supposed to be 2 Threat per player, but I think that's a bit excessive.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:56:43 PM by Dafydd Jones »

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »
OOC: Oh! I'm totally bollocksing the tasks. I completely forgot you have the ship as an assist in all of these tasks. in the initial and current tasks for Miguel, he should also make a 1d20 Communications + Engineering (9) roll to assist. If Miguel succeeds on his task (like he did with the first one), and successes gained by the ship are added to his total.

For the information on the Skathi, the task will be assisted by the ship's Computers + Science (12).

Also, I should say that I always prefer to have the major characters (formerly called PCs ;) ) perform actions, even though this would normally be the function of the library computer.

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
OOC: Someone also needs to finish the CSO's sheet....

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
Miguel adjusts the settings, frequencies and boosts the receivers in an effort to re-establish reception of the Skathi's transmission.

"Skathi?" he thinks "...Where have I heard that before?"

---------------------------

"Computers?.. I dun need no stinking computers...." ;)

Reason+ Engineering D1 (11+5) :Focus.. Subspace Comms
Rolled 2d20 : 13, 7, total 20
Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11

Reason + Computers? (Or is that Conn?) D0 (11+ 2) :Focuses. Cultural Studies or Linguistics: ?
Rolled 2d20 : 15, 6, total 21

Offline Dougals

• Baron
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »
That was going to be my question, GB.
Could also be Command...
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
OOC: Sorry I mucked up too, the formatting when using the dice roller.

Should have read..

Reason+ Engineering D1 (11+5) =16 :Focus.. Subspace Comms"

Result 13, 7... two successes.

+ Ship Assist: Computer + Science (12)

Result 11. + 1 success, because Miguel rolled at least one. So 3 Successes in total.

The second check (for identifying the Craft's Origin) I not sure about which Discipline that comes under (Computers didn't seem appropriate. Or even exist as a discipline) , though he did get a single success anyway, even without adding a discipline. So, I used Conn because I wasn't sure what cultural/linguistic information comes under.

Please could you clarify what IS covered by "Conns"

Advertisement