HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2019, 11:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350764
  • Total Topics: 7462
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4
Total: 4

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Episode 1.11: What Do Klingons Call a 'Klingon Standoff'?  (Read 16672 times)

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
Re: Episode 1.11: What Do Klingons Call a 'Klingon Standoff'?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »
"I should be able to program all of the relevant parameters in four-point-three to four-point-five hours. I am sorry I cannot be more precise, sir."

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
    • CODA Star Trek RPG Support Site
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
Treyva smiled. "It should be more than adequate, Cadet," he said. Turning to the library computer station,  he said, "Commander Tyler, please find Mr. Sonek a station where he can work undisturbed; I imagine there should be something available in the physics lab."

Returning his attention to Sonek, he continued. "This is your current assignment, Mr. Sonek. Please notify me when the programming is complete; I am very interested in seeing how the simulation turns out. Carry on."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Offline Dougals

• Baron
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 08:40:47 PM »
Sorak nods thoughtfully at his son's suggestion, "In essence, we would be creating a sort of 'Structural Integrity Field'. The possibilities are astounding. A most promising theory."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:07:18 AM by Dougals »
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 06:06:49 AM »
"Aye, sir."

The cadet nods appreciably to Sorak and heads for the turbolift.

OOC: Okay, I think Rafe is waiting on a response to his suggestion... :)

Offline Ronin84

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »
Moving over to take back the primary weapons station pulling up data on the system in question...

Computer Assist
Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18
Rolled 2d20 : 19, 9, total 28

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
As the Vulcan cadet departed for the physics lab, Treyva turned to his father. "That was inspired," he said with unforced respect, "whether it works or not. In regards to the 'how bad' issue, 'how much' is going to be warp 8, and 'how long' is going to be for as long as she'll take the strain; use your discretion, drop us below warp 7 if things look bad. I hope, as the Humans put it, that you laid in enough duct tape at Starbase 11."

Returning his attention to Rafe at the weapons console, he said, "Sorry about that. I served with Anderssen longer than you did; it's not just a matter of remembering him. He's a friend. We'll have at least 24 hours to scan ahead and see what Zeta Eridani has in store for us. In the meantime, check the existing records on the system and see what we know. And see what Starfleet has to say about the Skathi's mission. Starbase 11 would be the local Starfleet port of call for the Science Bureau; they would have had their mission plan logged there, and it should be in the last update we did before we set out."

He turned around to face Miguel. "Speaking of Starbase 11, inform them that we have changed course to respond to the Skathi's distress signal. Also inform them that, due to the nature of the distress call, we are exceeding recommended safe speed for our vessel, and will per protocol keep them apprised of our engine status at 30-minute intervals. Give me ship-wide."

"Ship-wide, sir," his comms officer replied calmly.

He turned back around to face the main viewer. "All hands, this is the captain. We are responding to a distress call in the Zeta Eridani system. Due to the distance involved, we will be going to higher speeds than the ship normally reaches. There's going to be some turbulence over the next several hours, so be prepared for that. Treyva out." He punched the cutoff switch on his armrest, then said, "Mr. Del Vecchio, take us to warp factor 8."

OOC: Davy, if I did anything up there that will mess anything up, or if I took too many liberties trying to help things along, let me know and I'll edit.

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
OOC: I have no problems with the post.

*~*~*~*~*

Rafe is finding out more about the mission. (Greg just rolled the task.)

Ship Assist: Computers + Conn (10)
Rafe: Reason + Conn (11), Difficulty 1.

Greg, I know I told you Computers + Science, but, looking at the rules, "astronomical phenomena and spatial variations" are the purview of Conn.

Result: 1 Success. Successful Task. 0 Momentum

*~*~*~*~*

GB, how about a Difficulty 0 Control + Engineering (15) task for Miguel, assisted by the ship's Communications + Conn (9), to send the regular reports to Starfleet? His Subspace Communications focus is appropriate to the task.

Also, let's go with a Difficulty 0 Insight + Command (12) task, assisted by the ship's Computers + Command (11), to call up from the database what Starbase 11 forwarded on the Zeta Eridani II Expedition.

*~*~*~*~*

Doug, Sorak's task will be a Difficulty 2 Control + Engineering (15) task, assisted by the ship's Engines + Engineering (10), to maintain warp 8 for as long as possible. Maria will also assist Sorak with Control + Conn (14), to ride the engines as gently as possible during the transit; her Helm Operations is appropriate to the task.

The Difficulty is 2, because I'm invoking the ship's Antiquated Spaceframe trait.

Maria Control + Conn (14); Helm Operations Focus
Rolled 1d20 : 6, total 6

*~*~*~*~*

Sonek will have a Difficulty 1 Reason + Science (12) task, assisted by the ship's Computers + Science (12), to research the viability of his proposed Structural Reinforcement Force Field (SRFF).

Patrick, since you're pretty much the only one not rolling here (not sure if Phil would check this quickly enough), why don't you roll Sonek's task?

*~*~*~*~*

In character post to follow.

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
OOC:
Cadet Sonek Reason + Science Task, no applicable Focus, total TN 12
U.S.S. Drake Computers + Sciences assistance Task, TN 12

Sonek
Rolled 2d20 : 8, 8, total 16

U.S.S. Drake
Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
OOC: Maria will grant 1 additional success to Sorak (if he gains at least one success on his task).

The various officers each get to their taskings. Maria acknowledges her orders, and smoothly accelerates the ship to warp 6 and beyond. As she hits warp 7, she begins to call out one-tenth increments as the spaceframe protests with shudders and groans.

"...Seven-point-six...seven-point-seven...seven-point-eight...seven-point-nine....maxing out at seven-point-nine-eight, Captain," she reports.

Meanwhile, Commander Santos is looking at data on the Zeta Eridani system.

Also known as Zibal, Zeta Eridani is a blue-white A-type main sequence star. The most recent survey in 2267 shows the star to have four worlds and a significant amount of accretion dust in the outer region.

ZE I is a Class B geomorteus world in close orbit with no satellites

ZE II is a Class M terrestrial world with no satellites; the survey noted a hydrography of 58% and extensive vegetation, but detected no higher order animal life; however, the survey detected an ancient structure that might have been some form of outpost

ZE III is a Class I gas supergiant with 27 rocky satellites of various sizes

ZE IV is a Class I gas supergiant  with a large ring system and 14 larger rocky satellites

The "extended accretion disc" beyond ZE IV is, essentially, a massive asteroid belt comprising several orbits. It's as if the supergiants interfered with planetary development beyond their orbits.

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »
OOC: If I have input on any Momentum Sonek generates here (I count 2 Momentum, but I could be wrong), he'll bank at least 1. I'm gong to review Momentum spends and see what he'll do with the other one.

ETA: Rather than shortening his programming time, like CODA would have done in a similar circumstance, I'm going to invoke Create Advantage in the following manner, given GM approval: As he's programming the ship's parameters into the simulation, he's learning things about its construction and the weaknesses they're going to have to overcome (he is his father's son, after all). Taking his interest in force fields into account, he's basically saying as he goes, "If we put a field emitter node here...here...and here on this strut...." This should help Sorak later when it comes time to implement things. So the created advantage here goes to Sorak and the engineering crew later on.

SO bank 1, spend 1 as above, pending GM approval.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:54:48 PM by PGoodman13 »

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
OOC: Bank 1 Momentum, aye.

The most obvious spend, in this case, would be to Create Advantage to reduce the difficulty of the actual design/construction task (which I may create as an Extended Task); however, this would cost 2 Momentum to create.

The second most obvious spend would be to add a d20 to the first roll of the design/construction task. :)

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »
I'd gone back to edit that Momentum spend post. Since the advantage I want to create would cost 2 Momentum, I leave it to the guys: Do I bank 1 and buy an extra d20 for the Task later with 1 Momentum, or do I spend 2 Momentum to reduce the Difficulty of the Task in question?

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
Current
Momentum 2 (2 pending)
Threat 5

Offline Ronin84

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »
Spend the two momentum to reduce the cost...just my vote.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
Miguel concentrates at the appropriate times whilst sending regular reports to Starfleet, between times scanning the database forwarded from Starbase 11 about the Zeta Eridani II Expedition. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Difficulty 0 Control + Engineering (15) : Focus Subspace Communications
Assist: Ship's Communications + Conn (9)

Then

Difficulty 0 Insight + Command (12)
Assist: Ship's Computers + Command (11)

Rolled 2d20 : 10, 15, total 25
Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20
Rolled 2d20 : 13, 19, total 32
Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
Miguel, check his communicator.... the scheduled reports seemed to lag somewhat, tapping the send button again manually seemed to do it though..

The database reports about the mission, began to clog up with mundane details and he finds it difficult to make any sense of them.. 

----------------------------------
OOC: I think I broke the ships computer... hmm. Any spare Momentum.. Anybody? ;)

*edit* I may have generated a point (or two) on the first part of the task... if 0 Difficulty tests are allowed to generate momentum...?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:22:57 PM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline Dougals

• Baron
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2018, 12:49:37 AM »
Sorak Difficulty 2 Control + Engineering (15), Warp Drive focus.
Drake Engines + Engineering (10)

Rolled 2d20 : 3, 5, total 8
Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Offline Dougals

• Baron
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 12:53:24 AM »
I see three success (4 with Maria's).
Correct me if I'm wrong. Need time to think on Momentum from that. Will check in on next break.

I say use both Sonek's Momentum for the extra die on install.

ETA: I believe I'd rather use the Momentum gained from my task to counteract the Complication from the ship's assist. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:54:57 AM by Dougals »

Offline PGoodman13

• Viscount
  • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2018, 03:51:47 AM »
OOC: Don't worry about the computer, GB; we have good technical staff. :) Where do you stand on the Momentum spend I'm contemplating? Phil, you can chime in, too.

Offline Dafydd Jones

• Earl
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »
OOC:Miguel
Updating Starbase 11
2 Successes vs. 0 Difficulty. 2 Momentum gained.
Also, a Complication has been rolled.

Aaaaaand I'm stuck. Any ideas on what the complication could be (the end result is that the Difficulty on tasks related to the Complication will be increased by 1)? Of course, you can buy off the Complication by adding 2 Threat to the pool.

Starbase 11 Information on the Skathi
0 Successes (since Miguel didn't get a success on his task, the success from the ship assist isn't counted)

Current
Momentum 2 (4 pending - 2 Sonek, 2 Miguel)
Complication Pending (on Communications task)
Threat 5

Miguel pores through the minutiae of the Starbase 11 reports and eventually finds only a single reference to a "Zeta Eridani Expedition" departing Deep Space Station K-7 with a crew of 3 and a survey team of 3. Unfortunately, that's it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:40:35 AM by Dafydd Jones »

DriveThruRPG.com