Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 21268 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6634
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

will follow the rest of the party to the bridge, and will dismount and hold the donkey by the reins.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:25:09 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1209
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2018, 04:12:49 AM »
In response to Murdus’s threat, the same man who spoke before (J3) holds out his arms and stops the men on either side of him.  The rest of his group does the same.

He looks at Murdus for a moment, and then seems to hold up his nose, as if sniffing the air.  This is odd, as there’s still roughly 125 feet between you.

The man looks back at Murdus and smiles.  “All we want is the namzāq namzītim!” he calls out in his strange accent.  All of you recognize the Akkadian words, for what they're worth.  Namzāq namzītim means, literally, "the key to the tub."

In the instant after the spokesman says this, one of the other men, (J5) adds in a guttural growl, “And the thief’s hide!”  Some of the other men signal their assent, but a look from their leader (J3) quiets them.

“I wonder,” the leader calls out again, “Do you have the will to do it?  It must be a difficult choice for you: kill the young man, and lose your only bargaining chip!”

— —

OOC:  I feel like this should be a Duping roll.  It's a good gambit, but your opponent is wily and driven.  I suspect it would be at least a Very Hard rating, given that 1) the men want to capture him quickly, and 2) they would enjoy seeing him killed, they only want the information he has.  Of course, I'm open to any other skills you may attempt.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:19:33 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3495
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2018, 05:10:32 AM »
Yarlaganda

takes advantage of the parley to kneel and scratch a small circle in the ground. He knows he's pressing his luck to ask the Desert for aid again, so soon, but these men seem unnatural to him. He says the old words again, and throws a handful of dust in the air.

Gamesh retreats back onto the bridge, stopping at the highest point in the middle.
====

OOC Yarlaganda attempts to cast Summon Guardian.

Edit: Added Gamesh's action.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:13:47 AM by Barrow »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9661
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2018, 06:35:04 AM »
Murdus

"Truthfully, I care not..... for by your own words we were to die anyway. I'm not a bitter man, but I see little point in both dying and giving you want you and your men want... so what choice do I have?"

===================

OOC: Who says he is lying? ;) ..... but he is trying to stall, besides the Astrologer makes a good shield. ;)

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »
>> In the instant after the spokesman says this, one of the other men, (J5) adds in a
>> guttural growl, “And the thief’s hide!”

You are welcome to try.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3951
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
Klumeons


Klumenos listens to the man's accent and tries to place it, if he can.








Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1209
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2018, 04:50:22 AM »
Indattu doesn’t recognize any of the men.  On second thought, you think the “thief” in question might be the astrologer.  (OOC: Sorry for the confusion!)

— —

Yarlaganda casts his spell.  After a moment, he senses something moving in the shadows under the bridge.  A giant scorpion (OOC: Size M, see the “Gemsting” entry on p. 34 of C&M) scuttles out of the ditch and climbs up onto the bridge to stand before the ranger.  Its carapace is beautiful and otherworldly, in the sunlight it glistens hues of black and green.  You’re reminded of the precious gems you’ve seen adorning the statutes of the gods in their holy processions.

(OOC:  Keep in mind, a guardian is not really an offensive creature — you can’t tell it to run up and attack someone.  It will, of course, attack if Yarlaganda is, and stand and protect him.)

— —

Klumenos, having widely traveled among Akkadian-speaking regions, knows that this accent is unique.  In fact, it almost seems slightly archaic to him.

— —

After Murdus speaks, and the men see Yarlaganda summon the magical creature, their leader makes his decision.  A shudder passes through his whole body, and after a moment, the bodies of the other men began to convulse in a similar fashion.

The scrawny bodies of the men began to warp and change.  Their faces, hands, and feet grow longer, and yellow-brown fur sprouts to cover them from head to toe.  You’re reminded of the jackals you faced yesterday.



Only one of the men (J6) fails to make the change.  You see him straining as if to force it, but all his effort is for naught.

The six lycanthropes who have successfully changed into their jackal forms crouch down.  They’ve spent this round changing, but appear ready for battle next round.

“Don’t let them bite you,” suggests the astrologer with a smirk.

— —

Declarations, Initiatives, and Actions for Round 2?

For their part, the werejackals are going to wait and see what you do next, i.e., delay their action until the deliberate phase.  Hint: Some of them might have skills from the Self Defense or Combat Maneuvers skill categories.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:55:05 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6634
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #327 on: August 11, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »
Lahwi-Addu

will grab his bow and try his luck at the Jackal leader, the one who spoke.

Great picture, Enheduanna!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9661
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #328 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
Murdus

Keeping the Astrologer within reach, changes dagger to left hand, retrieves spear, then advances (him and the Astrologer) to a position where the remainder of the party (and the Scorpion ;) ) can interpose themselves against any attackers.

----------------------------

OOC: I'm guessing this is to the rear of the bridge... He'll go full defensive.. for whatever good that will do... ;). All actions taken in the deliberate phase.   

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3495
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #329 on: August 11, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »
Yarlaganda

moves to stand beside the scorpion. "Get on the bridge," he suggests to Murdus and the astrologer, "and block it with the cart, behind you."

To the others he suggests, "Form a perimeter around the bridge entrance. Stay near the scorpion. Let them come to us."

He glances back at the astrologer. "I don't suppose you could just give them this 'key?'"

Gamesh crosses the bridge the rest of the way and will keep an eye on the battlefield behind them, watching for any threats from the other side of the bridge.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:50:25 AM by Barrow »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9661
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
Donkey (and Cart)

Feeling rather neglected Dubus the Donkey just wants attention and decides to follow Murdus... the cart being similarly attached to Dubus doesn't have the option.

However, Dubus is a *little* dubious... when it sees the scorpion at the far end of the bridge... it decides that it feels quite close enough to Murdus and stops directly behind him...

=====================

OOC: ;)

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6634
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
Lahwi-Addu

formed a perimeter around the bridge entrance, and staid near the scorpion as suggested by Yarlaganda. He'll throw another arrow while he has the time (two per round at -10). The range was bad but he fired nevertheless (101'-180'   -40).

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »
I draw my weapon and fight the nearest foe to me.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3951
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #333 on: August 13, 2018, 01:45:39 AM »

Klumenos

Klumenos will fire at the foe that doesn't change (J6).  And reload with the intent to find a new foe at What ever penalty is applied to a second shot that round.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1209
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2018, 05:50:18 AM »
Round Two[/u]
As the werejackals are all waiting to see what you do, there’s not really much point in initiatives this round.

1.  Lahwi-Addu shoots an arrow at J3.
Roll 43 + 73 OB + 10 Deliberate -40 Range = 36
Result: Miss!

2.  Lahwi-Addu shoots another arrow at J3
Roll 6 + 73 + 10 Deliberate -40 Range -10 Reload - 50 DB = -11
Result: Miss!

3.  Klumenos shoots an arrow at J6
Roll 4 = Fumble
Fumble Roll 67
Result:  Your bow is now two rounds away from you.

— —

The werejackals have waited until the Deliberate Phase to act.  They now spend all of the remaining 80% of the round in movement.  They also have to deal with the ditches and soggy fields, a Medium maneuver for your un-armored foes.  The werejackals all have a +40 bonus to the MM roll.

The werejackals' normal movement rate is 120’, so they can run 240’ in a full round.  Their route over the ditches includes the roughly 50 feet of soggy terrain.

— —

4.  J1 runs the first 20 feet (4 squares) (8% of his 80% movement) before he encounters the ditches.  He rolls a 91+40=131 on his MM, so he navigates the soggy area at 100% of his MM rate, but 100% on an MM only equals 1/2 of the base movement rate.  The 50 feet of marshland equals 100 feet of normal movement, and thus, he still has another 7 feet to go next round before he’s on dry land.

5.  J2 begins five feet closer to the ditches, and only spends 15 feet at a run to get there (6% of his 80% available).  He rolls a 54+40=94 on his MM, and so moves at only 70% of his MM rate.  For him, the 50 feet of marshland takes 130 feet of his movement, so he won’t clear the ditches this round.  He has another 21 feet of soggy land to cross next round.

6.  J3 runs the first 20 feet (4 squares) (8% of his 80% movement) before he encounters the ditches.  He rolls an 18+40=58 on his MM, and so moves at only 40% of his MM rate.  For J3, the 50 feet of marshland takes 160 feet of his movement.  He has 24 feet to go next round.

7.  J4 runs 10 feet to the nearest ditch (4% of his 80% round).  He rolls a 41+40=81 on his MM, and so moves at only 60% of his MM rate.  For him, the 50 feet of marshland takes 140 feet of his movement.  He has another 5 feet to move through the wet ground next round,.

8.  J5 begins the round at a ditch.  He rolls 77+40=117 on his MM, so he moves at 100% of his MM rate.  He’ll step on to dry land as round 3 begins.

9.  J6 stands firm and attempts to force his affliction again, to no avail.

10.  J7 begins at the ditch.  He rolls 38+40=70 on his MM, and so moves at only 50% of his MM rate.  For him, the 50 feet of marshland takes 200 feet of normal movement.  He only makes it it halfway across the ditches before the end of the round.

:ill: So much math.  I swear it all makes sense to me, even if I don't describe the percentages above articulately.

— —

Kantron, unfortunately your foes are too far away to hit with a dagger this round.  It was hard for even the bows, but don't worry -- our assassin should get his chance next round.

Just X, the Fumble Chart doesn't really explain what "two rounds away" exactly means.  Certainly it can't mean that the bow flew two rounds of movement away -- that's ludicrous.  How about we say it sprang out of your hand and fell into the dry ditch, and it would take you two rounds to recover it as a result?

— —

Positions, End of Round 2


(Let me know if I need to move anyone)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:56:49 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3495
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
Yarlaganda

hears a commotion to his left, on the other side of the scorpion.  He looks over and sees Klumenos, holding an arrow as if to release it, but he has nn bow. Yarlaganda sees the bow sliding down into the ditch.  He laughs heartily.

"Friend, your people have a strange idea of archery!" he says, good-naturedly. "It works better in Babylonia if you shoot the arrow, and keep the bow..."

He puts the "stun-berry" that Murdus gave him between his cheek and gum, but does not bite it.

Then he'll wait, still chuckling at Klumenos' misfortune, and his own wit.  If a werejackal comes into reach during the next round, he'll attack it woth his sword, but he won't move from his spot.

OOC:  :lol: JustX he doesn't mean any harm by it!  :mellow:


Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3951
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »
Klumenos


Klumenos is disappointed with his performance and reddens visibly at Yarlaganda's jibe.  Seeing the movement to the beasts, he changes tactics and picks up his shield and draws his sword.  Over his should he calls, "I its not too much trouble could someone please retrieve my bow and put it on my donkey?" as he steps forward 5 feet to gain a better facing on the approaching beast-men.  Upon seeing Yarlaganda place the stun-berry in his mouth he will do the same (but in his own mouth).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:26:19 AM by Just X »

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6634
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

will do the same trick with the berry. He readies his axe for the incoming clash with the lycanthropes.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9661
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2018, 07:18:18 AM »
Murdus

Attempts to retrieves the errant bow... if he can do so easily.(say by hooking it out with a spear point..;)) then returns to his same defensive posture.

OOC: That's a foraging roll right? ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:20:55 AM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1209
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2018, 04:12:52 AM »
Partial Round 3
Snap Phase and Normal


Klumenos steps 5 feet forward.

J1 begins round 3 with 7 feet of muddy land to cross.  His MM roll is 10+40 = 50; result: 30% movement, or only 18 feet of MM movement in the whole round!  Those 7 feet take 39% of J1’s round.  He covers the remaining 45 feet at a run with another 30% of his round.  He arrives within striking distance of Klumenos having spent a full 69% of his activity, and cannot attack this round. 

J2 begins round 3 with 21 feet of muck and a final ditch to cross.  His MM roll is 13+40 = 53; result: 30% movement, or only 18 feet of MM movement in the whole round!  He still has 3 feet to go before he’s over that last ditch.

J3 begins round 3 with 24 feet of muddy land to cross.  His MM roll is 77+40 = 117; result: 100% movement, or 60 feet of MM movement in the whole round.  Those 24 feet take 40% of his movement, and he runs the other 50 feet to stand before the Gutian, using another 34% of his round.  He’s used 79%.

J4 begins round 3 with only 5 feet of soggy land in front of him.  His MM roll is 3+40 = 43; result: 30% movement, or 18 feet of MM movement in the whole round.  Those 5 feet cost him 28% percent of his round.  He runs the remaining 55 feet using 32% of his round, for a total of 62%.

J5 doesn’t need to roll for a MM.  He’s able to start out at a run and cover the 80 feet between him and Lahwi-Addu using only 33% of his movement.  He’s going to attack Lahwi during the Deliberate Phase, at a -33% penalty.

For a split second, if any of the characters are still watching J6, he almost looks as if he’s going to start to change.  But he’s not, and he fails again.

J7 begins round 3 with fully 25 feet of soggy land in front of him.  His MM roll is 28+40 = 68; result: 50% movement, or 30 feet of MM movement in the whole round.  83% of his round is spent getting out of the muck and across the ditches.  He breaks into a run, and covers another 40 feet using all of his round in movement.

Positions After Movement


I assume you’ve all delayed your initiative to strike at these guys during this round.

Kantron: You can step up beside Klumenos to strike at J1 this round if you want.  Or toss a dagger at J1.  Your choice.

Dalewarrior:  J5 is going to get an attack this round, and it’s aimed at you.  Since everyone (probably) delayed their initiative, I’ll resolve his attack after the rest of the party.  We’ll start rolling initiatives next round.

GB: How about you make an attack to retrieve the bow with your spear?  :)  The bow has +0 DB and won’t parry you this round.  You can do it!

Attack declarations and rolls to finish out the remainder of Round 3, gentlemen?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:14:23 AM by Enheduanna »

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk