Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 15873 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6585
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2018, 01:23:39 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

Do I know what the namzāq namzītim is, Enheduanna?

"The battlefield, was that carnage caused by you or him?"

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3599
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
Klumenos


"I am not opposed to helping, but I can not speak for those I barely know," says Klumenos. "This namzāq namzītim, do you think it close?  If it is not far I might be able to convince the others it is worth the detour?"

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1098
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #402 on: September 02, 2018, 05:45:49 AM »
The scorpion hesitates for a moment, then skitters off around the bridge and into the shadows beneath it.  It disappears under the bridge, but only after it pulls the bodies of the two dying werejackals into the shadows.  It seems strange to the Gutian, that the giant scorpion and the bodies of two grown men could be concealed under that bridge, but try as he might, he can see no sign of them afterwards.

— —

The werejackal croaks.  “He opened Namzīt Bēlim Gitmālim ša Emūqam Rašub (“The Tub of the Perfect Lord Whose Power Is Terrifying”) and released the god’s holy breath.”  The shabby man smiles, “He wasn’t prepared for the result, I think.”

OOC:  DW, you could roll History Lore at -50 (Sheer Folly) or Religion Lore at -30 (Ex. Hard) given the obscurity of this knowledge.

— —

To Klumenos, Nur-ili replies, “Oh, very close.”  The astrologer nods his head towards the bridge, but his eyes are watching the last remaining werejackal.  “We would do well to hide it from him,” he whispers to the Minoan.  “My king would compensate you [he uses the singular form, implying Klumenos only] handsomely, should we deliver the key and the weapon it unlocks to him.”
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:50:44 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9571
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #403 on: September 02, 2018, 06:53:32 AM »
Murdus

Finishes binding the wounded human/jackals wounds. Then binds him securely.

He'll no doubt over hear something of what is being said... and will try and make sense of what he overhears....

-----------------------

OOC: I'll assume I'm in a position roughly central to the two conversations... ;)

I'll make these rolls... in the correct thread

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3599
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #404 on: September 02, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »
Klumenos


"And which king is it, that you are working for?" asks Klumenos.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1098
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #405 on: September 02, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »
Lahwi-Addu listens to the lycanthrope’s words, and clearly remembers an evening during his religious schooling, when a group of boys with whom he trained gathered around a fire to listen to the tales of the old, blind priest who was charged with their religious instruction.

Quote from: Lahwi-Addu's Teacher
Many years ago, before the flood, the Lord of the Underworld, Nergal unleashed his Seven Champion Gods (OB. Ilū Sebetti) into the land.  The people cried out to Marduk, but even that greatest of gods was afraid of their combined might, and he abandoned the land.

The people starved and died, the righteous and the unrighteous alike lay dead and unburied.  Enemies invaded the land, and the canals and fields lay fallow.  It was then that Nergal’s advisor, the calm and noble Išum, begged him to recall his gods, and give men a reprieve.

Long into the night did Išum debate with his lord Nergal, but the Lord of the Underworld steadfastly refused to corral his demons.  As morning dawned, clever Išum spoke to his lord thus, “So be it, my lord.  The Seven will control the lands, and they will reign as kings.  Foreigners will worship them as the mighty gods they are.”

Nergal said nothing, but this statement troubled him.  The next evening, he spoke to Išum again, “Do you not think men will worship me as greatest of all gods, now that I have defeated Marduk, and now that I control all the lands?”

“My lord,” the wise Išum answered after a moment, “Men know who have defeated them, and who control their lands.  It is your Seven Champions, whom you have released.”

“But it is I who have released them, is it not?  I who control them?”

The advisor bowed his head, and then answered, “No, most terrible lord, I am afraid no one controls them.  They are like rampaging lions, who wander across the steppe.  No man tells them whom to kill and devour, or whither to spread their terror.”

And with that, Lord Nergal became exceedingly angry, so that only his calm advisor Išum was not driven mad by his presence.  Then Lord Nergal inhaled, taking in all of his malice and ire in that moment, which surrounded around him like a mighty storm cloud.  Then he exhaled, and gave his divine breath to Išum. “Recall the Seven Gods to me, Išum,” he commanded the advisor, “And use this if they will not come.”

Išum wasted no time in securing the Seven Gods, who did not come willingly.  Once they were all returned to the underworld, the clever advisor had a great silver vessel made, and placed the god’s breath into it.  He gave this vessel to the priests, along with a key which would open it.  “Use this,” he said, “Should my lord ever again cede dominion to his Seven Champions.”

— —

The astrologer smiles, and says, “When we met you, I think you were coming from the north?”  Klumenos knows that the northern banks of the Tigris River are controlled by forces loyal to the king of Ešnunna.

Murdus overhears all of this.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:05:50 PM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3383
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #406 on: September 03, 2018, 04:56:25 AM »
Yarlaganda

shudders as the scorpion disappears under the bridge. Still, he says the prayer of gratitude to the desert, for sending such a fearsome protector.

While the wise ones interrogate the prisoner, the Gutian summons Gamesh and climbs aboard. He’ll cautiously probe the village, looking around for signs of any more surprises... but he won’t go into any buildings yet.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3599
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #407 on: September 03, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »
Klumenos


Klumenos states, "It is true I was departing the kingdom of Esnunna. But that does not answer my question about your loyalty or at least employment."

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6585
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #408 on: September 03, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

So you're saying he stole the Namzīt Bēlim Gitmālim ša Emūqam Rašub from your temple? For whom does he work and does he still keep it? And why would he want tot return to the scene of the crime?

The Amorite asked Murdus if he could help this werejackal from dying.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9571
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #409 on: September 03, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »
OOC: I thought he was... oh well... rushes over... tries his best. :)

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2018, 01:10:11 AM »
I, as casually as possible, look around for anything suspicious [observation skill].

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1098
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
OOC: I thought he was... oh well... rushes over... tries his best. :)
OOC:  No, no.  There's only one werejackal left, and he's the one you're tending.  Murdus is working on him while Lahwi talks to him.  Klumenos and the astrologer are roughly 15 feet away.

— —

The werejackal responds to Lahwi-Addu.  “Not our temple, it was taken from the ruins of our sacred city.  Those armies out there,” he says, indicating the battlefield, “The thief led a group of soldiers from one of them — the Marduk worshipers [i.e., Babylon] — to the site of it, and they took the Vessel of the Lord (OB. Namzīt Bēlim).  My brothers and I followed them, and we observed what happened next.

“A second army — from the north [i.e., Ešnunna] — hostile to the first, crossed the river from the east, and attempted to cut them off.  The thief’s group was trying to return with the Vessel to the main force of their army.  And it seemed at first as if they would accomplish this, as the larger force of the second army was slow moving.

That’s when the thief opened the Vessel.  When he did so, the Divine Madness seized the group he was with, and they turned and fought the second army, who slaughtered them.  The thief then fled, leaving the Vessel open, and the Madness spread to the second army, who then in their fury and rage went rampaging south, and ran into the rest of the first army.  The results are as you see before you.

“We have the Vessel now, and are grateful for its rediscovery.  But we cannot close it again without the key…”

OOC:  The tl;dr of it all is this:
- 1) The Babylonian army sends a small division with the astrologer to capture the Vessel.
- 2) An Ešnunnan army shows up, and tries to capture this small group of Babylonians.
- 3) As the small group of Babylonians is escaping the Ešnunnan trap, the astrologer opens the Vessel.
- 4) The small group of Babylonian soldiers are annihilated, but the Ešnunnan army is afflicted by the Vessel.
- 5) They run into the rest of the Babylonian army (who is waiting for the small group to return) and the two armies destroy one another.
- 6) The werejackals take back the Vessel, but can’t find the key.

— —

The astrologer smiles.  “Oh, if it’s employment, I was paid by that wretched upstart, the King of Babylon.  But my loyalties lie elsewhere, even if my kinsman are too slow and stupid to follow directions properly.  I can retrieve the key and lead us back to the Vessel easily enough, and together, we can give it to the future ruler of all these lands — Ešnunna.”

— —

On Gamesh, Yarlaganda starts off towards the group of houses whence the werejackals came.  Just as he gets to the soggy field areas, he sights movement from one of the houses.

Observing the scene from behind Yarlaganda, Indattu-Inšušinak sees the same thing.  A man stumbles out of the door of the middle house, and begins to make his way towards the party in a clumsy fashion.  It's clear the man has been restrained.  His hands are tied behind his back, and he has a gag wedged in his mouth.  He has a foreign look, and seems in distress.

OOC:  Gentlemen, at long last, WaitingCynicism joins the fray, bringing us, once again, to six players.  Welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:32:19 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline WaitingCynicism

  • Messenger
  • **
  • Posts: 20
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2018, 12:16:01 AM »
A young man, dark of skin and hair, tried to run out of the building he was contained in. "Help!" He calls out as best he can, being muffled.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3383
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2018, 03:37:10 AM »
Yarlaganda

Seeing that the young man is truly bound and not up to some trickery, waves for the man to approach slowly. When he’s close enough, he’ll stoop to untie the gag, but he’ll leave the man’s hands tied.

He’ll lead the man back to the group. “Look what more loot I found, brothers,” he calls loudly, indicating tne yound man,  with a chuckle. “Shall we split this five ways?” He laughs too loudly at his own wit.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3599
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #414 on: September 07, 2018, 01:05:13 AM »
Klumenos


Klumenos takes to opportunity to disengage from the astrologer and join with the rest of the party.  He says, "We have much to discuss.  The astrologer has finally opened up a bit and has a proposal for us."  As he sees the new comer he says, "What have we here?"

Klumenos will also take a good opportunity to thank Murdus for retrieving his bow.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:07:47 AM by Just X »

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #415 on: September 08, 2018, 05:46:07 AM »
PONDERING TO MYSELF:
Bound and gaged?  He may know much… and whomever bound and gaged him may desire much.

OUT LOUD
Run into a bit of bad luck, eh?

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1098
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:48 AM »
All right, moving on...

What would you like to do?  You still have the tablets to deliver, and you can interrogate Nur-ili or the werejackal some more.  There’s also the several houses to search, if you’re interested.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9571
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2018, 06:54:16 AM »
Murdus

"Well, isn't this just one big mess..." he ponders, glancing at the astrologer, Jackal and recently escaped man...

"I seem to remember there was a reason to come here... to, urmm.. Birsum. Ah yes, Birsum " he says wandering into a position where he can observe all three, to gauge their reactions, if any. Though he's not to worried about the Were-Jackal..  more of the other two.

"But for the life of me I can't remember what it is..." ... he then stops. "So you both seem to  come from the same village, perhaps you'd know each other... and might be expecting either us or something?"

========================

Looking for visible reactions from the pair.
 

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6585
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

The Amorite will ask the man they found prisoner from where he hails; and if he knows a man who goes by the name of Nūr-ilī in Birsun.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:55:26 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3383
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #419 on: September 13, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »
Murdus

"Well, isn't this just one big mess..." he ponders, glancing at the astrologer, Jackal and recently escaped man...

"I seem to remember there was a reason to come here... to, urmm.. Birsum. Ah yes, Birsum " he says wandering into a position where he can observe all three, to gauge their reactions, if any. Though he's not to worried about the Were-Jackal..  more of the other two.

"But for the life of me I can't remember what it is..." ... he then stops. "So you both seem to  come from the same village, perhaps you'd know each other... and might be expecting either us or something?"

========================

Looking for visible reactions from the pair.

Yarlaganda

"Wise One," the Gutian says patiently. "We were to deliver these tablets," he indicates the pack where they are held, "to a man named Nūr-ilī," indicating the astrologer, "who was to meet us by a bridge... in Birsum..." Here, he indicates the ground that they are standing upon. "Then we return to Babylon, and get our pay."

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk