Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 15795 times)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
Murdus

Sighs.

Thinks to himself... "Well, if that man isn't Nur-ill, just pretending and didn't know about the tablet.. Well, he does now"

=======================

OOC: *Face-Palm* ;)

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »
OOC: LOL, sorry. Yarlaganda isn't the  cleverest of people... and I suppose Barrow isn't either!  O0  :lol:

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #422 on: September 14, 2018, 02:11:42 AM »
Klumenos

I think I like this group thinks Klumenos, a wise man who play the fool and a warrior who lets his sword do his thinking, an assassin who lacks all social graces save for a swift death, and an Amornite who has the good sense to speak little and listen much.

Klumenos speaks when the party is out of ear shot of the jackleware and the astrologer.  "The one called Nur-ili fears that the fleeing jackleware will return shortly with more and potentially more powerful "friends".  Apparently the Tub is under the bridge and the Key is not far away.  They from a potent weapon of some sort.  While Nur-ili was in the employ of the King of Babylon, his loyalty seems to lie with Esunna."  After a breath he continues, "I share his fears about more of the shape-shifters coming soon.  He claims them to be search parties looking for the Namzaq Namzitim, which makes much sense." Then almost as an afterthought he adds, "Do we know how this one indicating the new arrival ended up a prisoner and who was holding him?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #423 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:48 PM »
The astrologer overheard Yarlaganda's comment.  He calls out from where he stands, "Oh, you have mail for me?  Probably old news now," he says with a shrug.  He starts to walk towards the middle of the three outlying houses, and ignores the prisoner.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #424 on: September 15, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
Murdus

Roots around in his satchel, retrieves the tablet...

"Well, you just as well read it... and since whatever you've done concerns our safety... tell it what it says..." he says with a smile.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #425 on: September 16, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
Yarlaganda

Hearing Klumenos say that the Tub was under the bridge, he remembers how the giant scorpion seemed to disappear unnaturally with the carcasses, into the shadows. He steps back to the edge of the ditch and peers beneath the bridge carefully.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #426 on: September 17, 2018, 06:10:09 AM »
The astrologer takes the two tablets from Murdus.  He glances at the text on the envelopes only briefly, then smiling, he tears the layer of clay off of both of them to reveal the text underneath.

After reading both of them, he says to Murdus, “Well, a lot of good these did me.  Just a warning about the Babylonian army moving north to intercept me," he says raising one of the tablets, "That's already happened."  He raises the other tablet, "And a warning not to open the Tub, which I already did as well.  Did the eunuch give these to you?  It must’ve taken him a while to find couriers.”

He keeps the second tablet, but throws the first one he held up on the ground.

— —

Yarlaganda looks into the deep shadows underneath the bridge.  The hair on the back of his neck prickles.  In broad daylight, it seems strange to him that the darkness could be so deep there.

The astrologer notices him.  "Hey, Gutian!" he shouts, "Though your might may rival that of any living man, I think you might want some help before you venture into an antechamber of the underworld."

— —

The astrologer continues to walk towards the middle house.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:13:25 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #427 on: September 17, 2018, 10:59:31 AM »
Lahwi-Addu

tried his religion lore to fathom what was the darkness below the bridge about.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #428 on: September 17, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
Yarlaganda

At the astrologer’s warning, the Gutian bolts upright with a guilty look on his face, as if he’d been caught looking at something he shouldn’t. He says nothing, but wheels Gamesh around to follow the astrologer towards the middle house.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2018, 01:30:36 AM »
Klumenos

Klumenos takes the opportunity to pull Murdus aside and ask, "What did the dog-man have to say?  From what he said the tablet said, I suspect that he was double crossing the Babylonian King and planned to hand over the tub/weapon to Esuuna.  I suspect that is why he shattered to tablet; or he lied and broke it so we will never know.  I do not trust him, but think we need to play along to gain control of the weapon--he seems incredibly reckless."  After his discussion with Murdus (including his response) Klumenos assumes a position near the jackleware and stands guard, "What will we do with this one?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2018, 03:38:15 AM »
The preternatural darkness, coupled with the astrologer's comment about the underworld, jogs Lahwi-Addu's memory.

The paladin knows that somewhere deep beneath the earth lies the Apsû (Sum. Abzu), a primeval source of freshwater, that modern people tap into when they sink wells or that bubbles up in oasis springs.

Below the Apsû, and at times overlapping it, is the underworld, a place which goes by many names in Sumerian and Akkadian religious literature, "Kigal" and "Kur" among them.  This is a shadowy, depressing place where the souls of the dead pass eternity in a grim mockery of their life.

It is also a dangerous place for living men; demons and strange, ancient monsters have bred and flourished there since before the Deluge.

The paladin has also heard tales of entrances to portions of the underworld, ones that often bypass the Apsû and take mortals into the strange realm.  Often these entrances are in out-of-the-way regions, that are difficult to access.  If an entrance to a part of the underworld lies under the bridge, it would be of great religious significance, despite its danger to the surrounding communities.

-- --

Just X: Nur-ili only destroyed the clay envelopes; this was necessary to read the tablets beneath.  The tablet he threw down was rather compact and sturdy, and did not break.  Anyone (who could read Akkadian) could pick it up and read it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:42:08 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #431 on: September 18, 2018, 06:55:00 PM »
Klumenos

As Kluemos watches the astrologer head for the middle house, he ambles over to where the tablet was dropped.  He picks it up and uses his skill in Akkadian to read the message.  (OOC: more accurately tries to read it)

Rolled 1d100+37 : 76 + 37, total 113

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #432 on: September 18, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
OOC:  Hallelujah or the Mesopotamian equivalent!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #433 on: September 18, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
Murdus

Seems content that the astrologer was telling the truth, at least in the events. as to his purpose.. he shrugs.

When the astrologer throws the tablet to the ground, he also seems content to let the newcomer pick it up... but does frown slightly at the impetuous of youth.

"If you don't mind... just picking that up for.....me." he says, rather belatedly.

"Ah you've done it already... good... good. I see you have greater trust in your abilities to ward off the curses that are sometimes placed on messages... Still...l We shall see, we shall see..." he smiles and edges away...

He then wanders over to have a look to see where the astrologer has gone. 

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #434 on: September 19, 2018, 04:26:40 AM »
Klumenos reads the following:

Siwe-Palar-Huppak says thus to Hammu-rapi: I have read the report of your messenger.  Do not trust the men who are now digging in Kār-Nergal.  Quickly, send your army to seize the Tub.  Take the man who led you to it and hold him for questioning.  He is a traitor.  I have sent this tablet with my important men, Luhišan and Pilir-Šazi.  Give them your response and they will send it to me.  My army is currently in Awan, and will set out for Kār-Nergal with Kudu-zuluš, the sukkal (viceroy) of Susa on the 6th day of Ayyarum.

You know that Siwe-Palar-Huppak is the great king of Elam.  The 6th day of Ayyarum is today.  Awan is relatively far away though, at least 450 kilometers (about 280 miles).

— —

The astrologer walks into the middle house with the air of someone who not only knows where he’s going, but has some kind of ownership over the property.

If Murdus follows him inside, he sees that the place has been ransacked.  A foreign-looking sword, short bow, quiver, and shield, are placed in a corner.  A donkey has been tied up there, and it seems loaded up with provisions.  (OOC: These are WaitingCynicism’s items, which the werejackals seized when they captured him).

The astrologer ignores the donkey and these items, and finds a jug of water, which he pours into a basin.  He quickly washes his face and hands.  He’ll retrieve a bright blue linen garment from a busted chest, and wrap it about himself.  The garment looks of high quality.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #435 on: September 20, 2018, 03:06:30 AM »
Kumenos

Upon reading the tablet, Kumenos thinks, so like Elam to meddle in the affairs of others.  I guess the upstart Hammu-rapi, figured he needed help if he was to stand up to Ibal-pi-El, he was going to need help!  Given the distance from Awan, I suspect that we have 5 days at a minimum, more likely 7 days, before they get here.  Ibal-pi-Elmust be very concerned about the Tub to send the sukkal of Susa; it must indeed be a powerful weapon.  Given what we have seen I have little doubt and if Babylon, Elam and Esnunna all know of its existence, others are sure to as well!  5 days may be an overestimate of how long we have until company arrives.

Klumenos turns his attention to the man-beast on the ground before him.  "So your cult have been the keepers of the Namzāq namzītim for how long?  How is it you let some upstart astrologer steal it from right under your noses--and given your canine tendencies that is saying something?"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:10:42 AM by Just X »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #436 on: September 20, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
Yarlaganda

will follow the astrologer and Murdus towards the middle house. When he sees there is no danger in the middle house, he’ll dismount and inspect the house to the left.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2018, 03:25:50 AM »
The defeated werejackal looks, for a moment, somehow more defeated.  After a pause he answers Klumenos, in his strange dialect, “The existence of such things are not normally taught to novices or lay-folk.  I think the learned among us suspected it was buried somewhere in our city. The rest of us knew nothing about it.  Only the astrologer could find it, led by his damnable stars.  But make no mistake, foreigner, it is ours, to keep for the god — the one whom your friends name Nergal, but we call Meslamtaea.”

— —

Before he ever crosses the threshold into the other house, Yarlaganda’s sense of smell gives him a forewarning. The house has been ransacked as well, but here, the Gutian finds the remains of three adults and a child.  There wounds are consistent with those he observed on the soldiers of the nearby battlefield.

Offline Kantron

• Knight Errant
« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:06 AM »
I move around making a perception roll.  Anything of interest?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
Klumenos

"So the astrologer was employed by your priests?", asks Klumenos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk