HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 09:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350440
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 8
Total: 9

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 14779 times)

Offline Kantron

• Knight Errant
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2018, 09:32:03 PM »
Kantron:  There’s a paste coating the blades of each of the daggers.  You suspect this is poison, but you can’t tell exactly which one right now (Roll = 64, Failure).  Perhaps if you tried again in a couple of hours?  Or alternatively, stabbed someone and watched the effects.

[as I put the daggers into storage] To the open group: I think they were trying to poison us.  I will continue thinking about this.  I might figure out what poison was used.  This could help determine who is behind this.

We must be careful.  First rule of assassination:  When in doubt kill the assassins.  There may be future attacks to cover up their tracks.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
Yarlaganda

leans in to whisper in Abi-Eqar’s ear. “Did you hear that? You’re a marked man. Your employer will kill you, if you last that long. Perhaps you’ll have an accident, in the alley. Perhaps my blade... will slip.”

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Murdus

"Poison? Oh... what kind, blade venom?" he says... he'd seen the others pass stuff around, pick stuff up.. and in one case disembowel a corpse. He wasn't to sure of the wisdom of such actions but they did probably save his life.. so it probably wouldn't hurt to offer advice.

"I have a small amount of knowledge.. of naturally occurring poisons and such noxious substances but cannot profess to any skill in its use...

---------------------

Poison Lore +63

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
While the rest of the party waits, Yarlaganda accompanies a very nervous Abi-eqar to his home.  The man is visibly shaking now, and he's sweating profusely.

(I really wish this image was larger)

The Gutian finds a modest two-story structure, with a small courtyard or garden on the side.  Yarla figures that the house has one room on the lower floor, with a ladder leading up to the upper-level.

The first member of the household he sees is a male child of about eight years.  The child looks up from some kind of animal he's been sculpting out of clay.  He wears only a loin cloth and a pair of rudimentary sandals that look too big for him.  The child doesn't speak to you -- it's obvious he's in awe of the tall, one-eyed Gutian.

His father pats him on his shaggy head.  "Your mom home?" the swordsman asks.

"Yep," answers the child, without taking his eyes off of Yarla.

"What about your brother?"

"With mom," says the child.

"Stay here with this man while I go speak with them."

Yarla carefully observes the house and the alley without.  He detects no sign of anything out of place.  The only people he sees are a few normal civilians going about their errands.

While he's watching, the child finally speaks to him.  "What's that red goop in your hair?"

___

While the rest of the party waits outside of the alley, Murdus examines the daggers.  He is quite familiar with the smell and light-green color of the paste, and identifies the poison as the imat lā-dagāl-īnī (OB. "the poison of unseeing eyes").  When he says the name, Indattu can't believe he didn't recognize it before.  This paste is a virulent poison that grows near cool mountain streams.  A person injured by a weapon coated with this poison will receive 1-10 hits, and after three rounds, will become permanently blind.

___

Eventually Yarla returns with the family in tow.  Abi-eqar's wife is a small, thin woman roughly his age.  She wears a modest dress of simple-quality, and covers her head with a head cloth.  She carries a basket on her back and an infant in her arms.  She seems distressed -- or possibly terrified -- by recent developments, and doesn't speak for now.

Deprived of his weapons, the swordsman carries another bag in his hand.  With his free hand, he steadies his middle child, who rides on his shoulders.  From this vantage point the boy can see eye-to-eye with the Gutian, and continues to scrutinize him.

The final member of the household is a thirteen-year-old boy.  He's dressed in a modest kilt and a loose-fitting shirt.  He carries heavy-looking bags in either hand, and there's an old short sword at his belt.

___

Since Yarla left you, Lahwi has been keeping a careful lookout.  As you prepare to leave the alley, the paladin chances to notice a man who comes around the corner, but abruptly stops when he sees the family with the party.  He ducks into the doorway of a building roughly 150 feet away, in the opposite direction from the one you'll take out of the city (so you don't have to pass by him).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:28:22 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »
Yarlaganda

While he's watching, the child finally speaks to him.  "What's that red goop in your hair?"

The Gutian glowers at the boy. “It is what’s left of the child I ate for breakfast. Now be quiet.”

Yarlaganda follows the family out of the alley. The prisoner was, at least, honest about his family. He’s leery of the thirteen-year-old though... he himself was killing men at that age.

“If your hand touches that sword,” he growls at the teenager, “I’ll have your arm off at the shoulder.”

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2018, 01:27:20 AM »
The teenager grits his teeth and mutters some kind of insult under his breath.

Even if the boy has some training with the sword, you notice he's very awkward with it belted at his side -- like he's never actually worn it before.  The blade seems old and not very-well-cared-for.  If the boy moved to draw it, you might wonder if the sword would fall apart in his hands.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2018, 02:55:12 AM »
Yarlaganda

ignores the youth's grumbling.

He catches the younger boy looking at him from atop Abi-Eqar's shoulders. He scowls at the boy. "If you don't stop looking at me," he growls, "I will show you my Death-Eye," he threatens, tapping his eye patch.

When they reach the rest of the party, he'll nod to Murdus as the family loads their gear into the wagon. "All's well."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2018, 07:56:51 AM »
Murdus

He nods, then turns to the wife and in an attempt to calm her rather obvious nerves... "Good day, sorry to intrude upon your family routine, but I'm afraid your husbands recent business dealings have not worked as well as he had hoped. However, it would appear that, as one door closes, another opens, so to speak, meaning opportunities have arisen with us. I'm pleased to meet you, I'm Murdus." he says with a smile.   "If you would like to ride atop the cart with the infant you'd be welcome.."

He looks at the youth, smiles at him also.. "We should be going...".

Noticing the boys own burdens....and attitude  " I too have a great burden to carry young man, however, I find constant and gentle travel eases the discomfort...." he leans in, and whispers with a laugh. "Although the Gutian only has one eye....be assured he has two good ears and is quick to temper.. for your families safety... I would remember that."

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
Lahwi

the Amorite quietly warned the Elamite and the Gutian that he noticed a man that upon seeing this family, abruptly stopped and hid into the doorway of a building about 150 feet away.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
The woman takes Murdus up on his offer, and climbs aboard the cart.  As Abi-eqar hands the baby up to her, she casts her gaze down the alley, tears in her eyes.

The man in the doorway watches you, but does nothing else.  He wears only a modest commoner's garment, and does not appear armed.  When you depart the area, he does not follow.

___

It is late afternoon when you exit Babylon via the Šamaš Gate.  The first thing you pass are several large encampments -- virtual tent cities of foreigners, nomads, merchants, and various military forces whose access into the city Hammu-rapi carefully regulates.

As you cross the river and move around the city to the east, you walk among vast fields and orchards worked by slaves and poor commoners, who are virtually naked, their skin baked by the afternoon sun.  These fields are irrigated by networks of carefully-maintained ditches, which you must cross to proceed on your way.

By nightfall, you've left Babylon behind, and you're proceeding north along the course of the Arahtum branch of the Euphrates River.  This is a rather well-traveled, civilized area of independent family farms and modest villages without walls.  You haven't been followed, unless your pursuers have some glamour that allows them to remain invisible for several hours.

Abi-eqar and his wife have been discussing the family's next step at length.  They make no secret of this.  It seems they plan to leave you tomorrow, at whatever village or small settlement seems most convenient.  The teenager is sullen and awkward, and the baby is quiet as well.  The swordsman's middle child remains fascinated with Yarlaganda.

You've had an eventful day, and should probably rest.  You can find rudimentary lodgings in one of the settlements, or camp out near the road.

At this point, you have several dangling plot threads.  Abi-eqar has promised to give you information.  You also have 1) the two tablets given to you by Warad-Marduk, 2) the woman's tablet, and 3) the small tablet taken from the mentalist.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:48:20 PM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Lahwi

the Amorite quietly warned the Elamite and the Gutian that he noticed a man that upon seeing this family, abruptly stopped and hid into the doorway of a building about 150 feet away.

Yarlaganda

nods and gives the Amorite a friendly thump on the shoulder. "I am happy for your eyes, my friend. And, my thanks for the warning earlier... I did not know the attack was coming."

You've had an eventful day, and should probably rest.  You can find rudimentary lodgings in one of the settlements, or camp out near the road.

Yarlaganda looks for a suitable campsite as they travel. "I have a tent big enough for four," he reminds Murdus. "And I can provide food, from the wild."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:30:20 PM by Barrow »

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2018, 05:37:14 AM »
5th day of Ayyarum (April 20th, 1767 BCE)
(Like many ancient cultures, a Babylonian day begins at sunset.)

In a small grove of stunted trees, you find a comfortable (everything’s relative out-of-doors) site on which to build your camp.  Abi-eqar’s family chooses to huddle up together, and somewhere out of all of their baggage they begin to produce several heavy blankets.

For a night on the arid Mesopotamian steppe, the weather is not unusual.  The sky above you is clear and the air is cool.  You see no travelers on the road now, and there’s no activity on the river, or out on the steppe.

Offline Kantron

• Knight Errant
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »
I make a camp for myself

TO THE GROUP: Wake me up only in case of a severe emergency.  I value my privacy.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
Murdus

Quickly helps set up camp, then has a quick forage of the surrounding area... for food, herbs, interesting pieces of distracting dirt, pebbles, rocks... that sort of stuff. Muttering, apparently to himself most of the time... 

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
Yarlaganda

keeps an eye on the sky as he helps set up camp, for some clue about how comfortably their night might pass. He starts a fire for the main camp, then sets off with his sword and spear in search of something for dinner.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Yarla notices nothing unusual about the weather (Roll = Failure).  It’s a normal night, as far as he can tell.

On the other hand, the Gutian’s attempt at setting up camp goes so well, that he finishes in record time (Roll = Success).  In fact, as you start the camp fire, you hear the little boy whisper to his father, “Adda is he a sorcerer?”

Finally, Yarla’s hunting attempt fails to result in a catch.  You detect the tracks of a small herd of gazelle, but in the dark, you can’t quite figure were they went just yet (Result = Partial Success).  Per School of Hard Knocks p. 74, your attempt took four hours.  You can try again, but you might pass the night without sleep, which would dramatically affect your performance the next day.  (I.e., if you woke at 7:00 am the previous day, and have not rested, your exhaustion points will be modified by 5x at 8:00 am the next morning, with an additional 1x every five additional hours without sleep.  Per RMFRP, you need at least 30 minutes of continuous sleep to recover your points and stave off any penalties.

During the night, nothing, human or animal, approaches your camp.

The only noteworthy event is a dream that visits Lahwi.  When he wakes, the paladin can only half-remember two scenes:
1.  An image of the inner sanctuary of E-mašdari — the temple of Bēlet-Akkade, Babylon’s version of the goddess Ištar in her most warlike aspect.  The larger-than-life image of the goddess presides over a long table, set out as if for a banquet.  But the plates are broken shields, the utensils are bloody weapons, and the viands the flesh of strong men.
2.  A battlefield under a dark, sunless sky.  Two armies attack one another, first with the normal weapons of battle, then they fall upon each other like mad animals, tearing at friend and foe alike in a frenzy with teeth and nails.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:22:59 PM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »
...as you start the camp fire, you hear the little boy whisper to his father, “Adda is he a sorcerer?”

Yarlaganda

chuckles quietly, in spite of himself.

Before he goes hunting, he approaches Abi-Eqar. "Your family may use the tent tonight," he offers. He starts to leave, then hesitates. "Tell me, what was the spearwoman's name? I must pray for her soul to find its way to her ancestors."

---

(He'll try to get some sleep... but first...)

After the failed hunt, the frustrated Gutian will return and bed down for the night, contenting himself to a ration of his travelling food.

Before he turns in, he will approach Murdus (if he's still awake).

"Our guests speak as if they will leave us tomorrow. Should we allow this? Should we find out who this Abi-Eqar's employer was?" His hand moves to his side, where their prisoner's sword still hangs.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
Lahwi approached the party in the morning and specially the animist, Murdus, and related him his dream. "Nothing but a dream, but what may you do of this, wiseman?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2018, 03:58:52 AM »
The swordsman looks embarrassed, but was it the offer of the tent, or your question about the spear-woman?  “Ayala” he says giving an Amorite name, “And the brash man with the club was Šamaš-rabi.  I didn’t know the other man very well.  Not much of a fighter.  Nabi-Sîn was what he called himself.”  The last two names are Akkadian, and common in Mesopotamia at this time.

Without another word, Abi-eqar begins to usher his family into the tent.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
Yarlaganda

"Ayala," he says quietly. "Šamaš-rabi. Nabi-Sîn." I will pray for them all, even the sinister magic user.

"My thanks," he says to Abi-eqar. "One thing more," he says before leaving on his hunt, "do not leave tomorrow, without taking your leave of the Wise One," he says, indicating Murdus. "You owe him your life... had he not spared you, myself or the god-warrior (he points to Lahwi) would have ended you."