HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 08:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350470
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 14854 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2018, 01:51:18 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

took a step closer to the jackals and inspected their symbol. "How strange that they're covered in dark blue powder," he said to the rest of the party.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »
Yarlaganda

Once the fight is over, Gamesh suddenly realizes he has a minor injury. I'm dying! he reports to Yarlaganda. This is all your fault! I'm too young too...

Be still! Yarlaganda chastises, even as he rubs his camel's nose. You are fine. It's just a scratch. It is probably not even your blood. At any rate, the Wise One is tending too it, see?

When Gamesh is calmed, Yarlaganda looks to the rest of his party. Seeing that none of them are injured, he retrieves his spear and looks at the sun... still plenty of daylight left.

He sees the man on the crutch looking at him. "What was his name?" Yarlaganda asks, sadly. "Your comrade on the litter?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »
While Indattu-Inšušinak binds the camel’s wound, Murdus stops Gamesh’s bleeding with his item.

In answer to Yarlaganda’s question, the man on the crutches replies, “Lu-sagga.  He was the son of a baker in Kullab [a neighborhood in the city of Babylon].  His wife and three children live there now.”

— —

Up close, Lahwi-Addu recognizes that the symbol is in fact religious in nature, and relates to one of the underworld deities [Eriškigal, Erra, Nergal, etc.] — he just can’t quite remember which one [Near Success].

— —

The two remaining men introduce themselves.  The man on the crutch is Dagan-niri, a bērum (OB. veteran foot-solider) in the Babylonian army.  The man with the breastplate is Malik-Dagan, who is a wakil ušurtum (OB.  “sergeant”).  Poor Lu-sagga was also a bērum.

Dagan-niri’s injuries seem uncomfortable, and he remains quiet.  Thus, Malik-Dagan speaks to you:  “Our gods are good to us, for we have come out of a great misfortune.  Two days ago our division was ambushed by a force of Ešnunnan troops.  I do not know their number, but we were 500.  They gave us no time to properly set up to face them, and came at us much like these dogs.”  He kicks the nearest jackal corpse for emphasis.

“Strange, terrible things happened then.  The sky darkened as if a great storm was come, and the enemy troops carried with them some kind of dark vapor, that swirled about them and half-obscured the battlefield.  When they neared our men, we realized that many of them did not carry weapons, and their armor, if they wore it, was often carelessly, or half-thrown on.  They attacked our men like wild animals; if they had no weapons, they used their teeth and fingernails."

“The strangest thing was our own men immediately began to suffer the same affliction.  Some even threw down their weapons, or attacked one of their own fellows if they were closer than an enemy.  It was like a vision from a cruel and violent god.”

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Yarlaganda

nods at the man on the crutch. “Lu-sagga. I shall pray for him.”

The Gutian listens to Malik-Dagan’s story intently, not sure if he believes it all, but he does not interrupt. When the story is complete, he points to the prisoner. “And, who is this one?”

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2018, 11:44:26 PM »
“That’s a good question,” Malik-Dagan says, casting his gaze at the young man.  The prisoner responds with a mocking sneer.

“He calls himself Nūr-ilī,” the sergeant continues, “but I don’t trust that, nor anything from him.  We mean to ransom him.  Clearly he’s not some rural farmhand — and I suspect he’s something much worse, or perhaps better, for us.”

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
Yarlaganda

looks at the smug prisoner for a moment, then kicks one of the jackals. “Why were these beasts after you? Do you suppose they were trying to... rescue him?” he asks Malik.

When he says it out loud, it sounds ridiculous. Jackals on a resucie mission? But the blue powder, the symbols, the way they ignored the entrails, and came on in spite of the odds they faced... maybe some sorcery was at work.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2018, 12:20:27 AM »
Lahwi-Addu,

turned to the Gutian and the Elamite. "What about interrogating the prisoner the hard way?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
Dagan­-niri, who has been looking at the prisoner, speaks up now.  “Tell them about the flowers.”

The prisoner continues to rest.  He gives no indication that he is paying attention to the conversation.

Malik­-Dagan nods toward the prisoner again.  “In a way, he saved our lives.  Even if he’s worth nothing, those of us that remained decided to spare his life on that account.  My decurion captured him while out on patrol.  We were bringing him back to our camp when the Ešnunnans attacked.  He doesn’t say much, but when the sky grew dark, he insisted that we chew these.”  The sergeant pulls from a small pouch on his belt three sprigs of nēhtum.

“I can only guess that this herb is the reason the frenzy didn’t seize us as well.  By the time we fought our way to freedom, my ten were down to four, plus myself.  On the first night, a demon attacked us as we slept.  It slew my nephew, Haliya, injured Lu­-sagga, and broke Dagan-­niri’s leg.  Somehow, we managed to drive it off.”

“At sunrise, another of my company, Hammi­-zaku, deserted us.  He is not of Babylon, but one of the gayyū (OB. sub­clans) of the Yaminā [a large tribe of pastoral Amorites] — maybe the Yahrurû?  Rather than make for Babylon, he chose to strike north for his people.”

The sergeant begins to loosen the straps that secure his breastplate.   “I do not know if this Nūr-­ilī knows anything about the jackals, but this is the first we’ve seen of them,” he says.  Malik­-Dagan seems at ease with all of you for a moment, but then he stops.  He looks around at the four members of the group with narrowed eyes, “Why are you out here?”
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:41:07 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2018, 12:56:48 AM »
Yarlaganda

Nūr-ilī. Nūr-ilī. Why does that sound familiar? Yarlaganda wornders, the wheels in his head turning slowly.

He’s a young fellow, with a noble sort of look... he remembers the little man in Babylon saying. And he has an excellent voice.

He ignores Dagan-niri’s questions. “He saves your life, and still you hold him prisoner?” He walks over to Nūr-ilī and cuts his bonds. “You are free to go.”

If I’m right, this man is our contact. If I’m wrong... well, how hard can it be to kill a naked man?

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2018, 02:44:13 AM »
The prisoner opens one eye and looks down at his cut bonds.  Then he opens the other eye and smiles.  “Thank you,” he says.  He stretches in dramatic, exaggerated fashion, then brings his arms up and puts his hands behind his head.  He closes his eyes again.

The two remaining soldiers exchange glances.  After a moment, Malik-Dagan sighs, “Free him if you want.  You’ve split your blood for us, so I won’t challenge you.  Not that we could do much anyway.”

Dagan-niri pats the ground to get the Gutian’s attention.  “Don’t trust him,” he whispers to Yarlaganda.  “He’s a spy, or a fool.”

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2018, 03:17:10 AM »
Yarlaganda

shrugs at the warning. He looks at the sky. “We should not linger here for long,” he says to the grouo. “These dead beasts will draw attention.”

He turns to Malik-Dagan and says, “If you like, I will help you build a cairn for your dead man. For Lu-Sagga. It’s the least I can do, after what I did to his corpse. But then we must be on our way. Will you continue to Babylon?”

Regardless of the soldier’s answers, Yarlaganda will find an opportunity to speak to Murdus and Lahwi; he’ll discretely tell them, “I think this prisoner might be the man we’re looking for. The man who we give the tablets to.”

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2018, 06:22:42 AM »
Murdus

After he finishes tending to the camel, Murdus then calms his donkey.... all the time mindful of the actions of his comrades. He looks up when the herb is mentioned..

Pauses, as if to say something, but then shakes his head. When the prisoner is released he does react.. the whispered comments from Yarlaganda cause him to furrow his brows. He heads over to the ex-prisoner and offers a hand in greeting.

"Well, friend, from where do you hail?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
Malik-Dagan nods at Yarlaganda's offer.  "Yes, I will help you."  Between the two of you, you should be able to take care of what's left of the remains rather quickly.

"I should get Dagan-niri back to Babylon as soon as I can," the sergeant says.  "We need to report the loss of my division, and I think he's in a lot of pain.  If we leave now, we might make it to one of the villages by nightfall."

——

When Murdus stands over the former prisoner, he opens his eyes again.  "Ah!  A sun-shade, how considerate."  He doesn’t rise to take your hand, but after a moment, his expression changes.  "I'm from a little village near the Tigris," he says, sitting up.  "If you're going that way, I'm sure I could make it worth your while."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »
OOC: Are we?

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »
"I should get Dagan-niri back to Babylon as soon as I can," the sergeant says.  "We need to report the loss of my division, and I think he's in a lot of pain.  If we leave now, we might make it to one of the villages by nightfall."

Yarlaganda

nods. He tells Malik-Dagan what he knows of the road back to Babylon, and of the villages he passed along the way. He asks about the road ahead, where the soldiers came from.

As they talk, he’ll take a look at Dagan-niri’s injuries, and see if he can do anything for the man.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
Lahwi-Addu

heard Yarlaganda and said, "I think this is just the case of two similar names. I think we should proceed to the location that we were given and then look for the person with the name that the Babylonian gave us."

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »
OOC: Are we?
You’re headed to Birsum, a village near the Tigris.  So you’re going in that direction.  Now as to whether that’s the same village that this fellow wants to go...:rolleyes:

— —

Barrow: The best you could do for the man with first aid is to improve his splint.  You confirm this from your analysis, and decide that there is little you can do to allieviate his pain.  It will take some kind of magic, or many days rest, to heal the bone.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2018, 06:49:53 PM »
Yarlaganda

does what he can to improve the man’s splint.

He considers that Lahwi might be right about the prisoner’s identity, but he doesn’t have any ideas on how to tell. He sees Murdus talking to the man, and he’s confident his companions will sort the matter out.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2018, 09:51:21 PM »
Murdus

"We were, in fact, heading towards the Tigris... My name is Murdus. I'm an architect and herbalist.. my companions are rather efficient warriors, myself a humble trader of sorts... I prefer to talk rather than fight... perhaps tend to plants.. or tinker. Yourself?"

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »
For the first time, the handsome young man seems interested in conversation.  "Plants?  That's interesting."  He hops to his feet, and brushes the dirt from his legs.  "I've never really paid attention to them. Always looking up!  I'm a star-watcher myself."  He pauses for a moment, and blushes as he says, "At night, the heavens speak to those who understand their language."

future fantasy tabletop role play game, sic-fi and fantasy writers links to www.swordandsigil.com