HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 16, 2019, 03:14:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 2725
  • Latest: Ry
Stats
  • Total Posts: 346195
  • Total Topics: 7425
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: NotJ - OOC  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
Re: NotJ - OOC
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
Where is Sir Reginald now?
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
and I take it hes holding a cat? Please describe the cat?

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 02:08:34 AM »
In my experience the most common/normal reaction for someone who is innocent is to stop/pause and see what is going on / what happens when some dramatic/unusual event occurs. Unless of course such a scene was a boringly common event. Which in this case I am assuming not.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:12:57 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Gymnosophist

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:18 AM »
If you recall, Sir Reginald exited the courtyard along with the Doctor and the Professor. He was indeed holding the cat, but neither of you has had time yet to examine it closely. It looks exactly like a normal tabby cat and has not, in itself, aroused any of your suspicions. Why Sir Reginald chose to bring it with him though is another matter.

Though Benni has not posted yet, I am assuming that Sir Reg is getting into the carriage with you lot. There is no sign anywhere of Curruthers.

As for behaving innocently or not, I remind you that you have broken into private property, which is a serious offence. It is obvious to all of you that even if you had good reason, it would be a difficult thing to explain the situation, should you be required to do so.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:25:09 AM by Gymnosophist »

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »
In my experience the most common/normal reaction for someone who is innocent is to stop/pause and see what is going on / what happens when some dramatic/unusual event occurs. Unless of course such a scene was a boringly common event. Which in this case I am assuming not.
Fair enough on that. I presumed they two were still some distance away "up the high street" and we could easily 'not have heard.  I figure he's deliberate in his action of embarking and it wouldnt be 'out of the ordinary' behaviour.

The driver prepares to answer the good Doctor's question as Professor Braithwaite opens the carriage door. Just then, a commotion can be heard up the high street and all present turn to see two figures making their way in haste towards them, rosy cheeks puffed with exertion and breath billowing in the cold morning air. One appears to be a police constable, the other a plump, ostentatiously dressed fellow with mutton chops and a double-, nay, treble chin, all wobbling like jelly as he hurries.

As the latter catches sight of them, he whips up the piece-nez trailing on its chain by his side, holds it to his squinting eyes, and shouts, "There they are! Blackguardsth! Wuthians! Quick, Conthtable! They're getting away!"

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:37 AM »
Can someone remind me where the luncheon was to be (assuming my character is already aware).

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
It was to be at Dr. Kárpáti's residence, as far as I can recall.

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »

In a quite voice so as not to be overheard by the driver the professor spoke to the Doctor (and Sir Reginald?) "I found a business card in one of Summer's jackets for a book seller on Charring Cross Rd and I am of a mind to go there and investigate, unless you have another suggestion."

Though Benni has not posted yet, I am taking it that Sir Reginald is with you, outside Dr. K's, while the cab driver waits for further instructions.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »
It was to be at Dr. Kárpáti's residence, as far as I can recall.
     Köszönöm. Nem emlékszem.

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2019, 05:52:38 AM »
Luncheon was scheduled for noon. There was an undertaking to Norton that we would pick up his cab fare when he arrived.

BTW what time is it when the party reconvenes at the Karpati residence?

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »
That is indeed correct. Let's say that by the time Curruthers returns it is around 10 in the morning on Saturday -- which is considered to be frightfully early by Victorian standards.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2019, 04:38:39 AM »
If I knew it was only 10am I would not have had the professor dismiss the cab, instead I would have used the 2 hrs before the luncheon to check out the bookshop! What is the professor supposed to do at the docs place for the next 2 hrs???

Help me out Peter, how long (duration) by cab to the bookseller from the Proessor's current location (Doc's place).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:47:11 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2019, 08:14:13 AM »
Apologies for the late reply. I was sort of waiting on Benni to post his answer to Dr. K's question, but failing that, I took the liberty of posting for him. Sorry Benni!

If I knew it was only 10am I would not have had the professor dismiss the cab, instead I would have used the 2 hrs before the luncheon to check out the bookshop! What is the professor supposed to do at the docs place for the next 2 hrs???

Help me out Peter, how long (duration) by cab to the bookseller from the Proessor's current location (Doc's place).

Well considering You guys set off to Summers' chambers at Staple Inn rather early (Professor Braithwaite himself insisting on an early start), I took a rough guess and estimated it would be about 10AM, give or take, before returned to Kensington. An equally rough guess, I reckon it might take about half an hour by cab from there to Charing Cross, considering the busy traffic on a Saturday morning. Just by the way, shops typically opened early on Saturdays, even in Winter.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »
Apologies for the late reply. I was sort of waiting on Benni to post his answer to Dr. K's question, but failing that, I took the liberty of posting for him. Sorry Benni!

Well considering You guys set off to Summers' chambers at Staple Inn rather early (Professor Braithwaite himself insisting on an early start), I took a rough guess and estimated it would be about 10AM, give or take, before returned to Kensington. An equally rough guess, I reckon it might take about half an hour by cab from there to Charing Cross, considering the busy traffic on a Saturday morning. Just by the way, shops typically opened early on Saturdays, even in Winter.
\
And how late do they remain open?

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
Apparently, shops remained open until late in the evening. In the first half of the 19th C, they also traded for half a day on Sundays but the Christian reform movement put an end to that. Perversely, this actually put quite a bit of strain on the lower classes who were thus forced to do all their shopping on Saturday  :(

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2019, 03:19:11 AM »
So its safe to make an assumption that there is no rush to get to the book store before lunch.

I may be wrong in reality, but its a logical assumption of the period as to shop hours.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:38 PM »
The Prof wasn't concerned about getting to the booksellers before they close today. It was more to do being productive over the next 2 hrs.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
After a series of puffs on his pipe the professor said "I am most interested in the fact that whoever ransacked Summer's residence also took what was presumably a photograph of members of the Royal East Kent Regiment, 1st Battalion. Perhaps they intend to seek them out also in an attempt to find what they are looking for. Sir Reginald, you are a military man. How many men in a battalion?"

I'll wait IC for the learned explanation, but...

"Before 1914 most British infantry regiments had two active battalions, each of about 1,000 men, plus a part-time Territorial battalion. Each battalion was divided into four companies. A company consisted of four platoons, each of about 50 men, under a Lieutenant or Second-Lieutenant, assisted by a Sergeant. Within a platoon were four sections of 12 men."

If the photo is indeed of an entire battalion, ie approx 1000 men, then its a huge photo or the resolution of an individual is very small.

Or, as I suspect, its a photo of a only some men from the battalion, Summer's platoon perhaps since he was a lieutenant.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2019, 10:44:03 PM »
I actually had a pretty good idea of the number of men in a battalion, but i decided the professor did not hence the IC question.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2019, 02:32:11 AM »
I had an idea of numbers of WWII and onwards, but was enlightened on the pre WWI unit make ups. More men to a company back then.

Advertisement