HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2019, 09:47:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350191
  • Total Topics: 7457
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 9
Total: 11

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: NotJ - Chapter 2 - The Buffs  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
Re: NotJ - Chapter 2 - The Buffs
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:17 AM »
Dr Karparti takes a draw on his thin cigar, before answering.

"Simply zis. When you asked your previous question about ze officers acquiring any peculiar items vile abroad, it vas clear to me zat Mr Norton vas lying about his denial. Ze feigned innocence vas most transparent. Perhaps Mr Norton is at heart an honest man who is troubled by havingk to lie in zis fashion, yes?"

<puff puff>

"Und zo, I contrived ze premise to elicit a response from him concerning vich of his fellow Buffs may haff been behind ze keeping of ze items. A simple ruse, Professor."

<puff puff puff>

"Unt, indeed Mr Norton reflexively offered up ze name of his superior, Major Gower."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:57:55 AM by Usdrothek »
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2019, 02:16:38 AM »
Curruthers finishes any tidying after the luncheon.

"Shall you be needing me to arrange transport to Soho for this afternoon Sir? For what time?"

to the reticent Sir Reginald

"Will you be accompanying the master and Professor Braithwaite?"

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #202 on: April 11, 2019, 04:54:49 AM »
Dr Karparti takes a draw on his thin cigar, before answering. ...

The professor smiled. "Very cunning Doctor Kárpáti."
He then made ready to depart.

Online Gymnosophist

• Knight of the Round Table
« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »
A growler is summoned by the ever attentive Carruthers and the gentlemen all make the journey to the Charing Cross. To their dismay however, when they alight outside the bookseller’s shop, they find it closed for the day, with no sign at all of the proprietor, Mr Alan Paice.

It is now half past three in the afternoon. The clouds have rolled in and a light snow begins to fall.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2019, 01:26:38 AM »
Professor Braithwaite adjusted his long woolen coat and scarf against the cold. "Perhaps inquiring at the adjacent businesses may provide some useful information. When Mr Paice was last seen, for example."

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:15 AM »
Curruthers addresses Dr Kaparti.

"Excuse me a moment sir."

And crosses over to the opposite corner of the street.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:06 AM »
Dr K Nods and leans on his cane before taking a few steps up to the shop window to peer inside the establishment.

Online Gymnosophist

« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »
The blinds at the window are drawn -- unsurprisingly, as the shop appears to be closed for the day. By chance there is a narrow gap through which Dr Kárpáti can see some of the darkened contents of the room beyond, all apparently in order.

Across the road, Carruthers can be seen talking to a paper boy. The valet produces a penny and buys an issue of the Daily News.

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #208 on: April 17, 2019, 01:19:30 AM »
Curruthers rejoins the party.

"Newpaper?" Curruthers offers the rag to the group

"According to the lad,  Mr. Paice shut up shop around midday as he typically does on a Saturday."

If no takers for the paper he will scan the headlines for any article even remotely pertaining to murders, disappearances or any strange goings on.

Online Gymnosophist

« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »
The valet finds nothing out of the ordinary in the paper. It's business as usual in London Town.

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2019, 01:22:50 AM »
Curruthers, finished with the paper, looks up to see what the gentlemen intend to do next. And offers in  his usual phlegmatic way-

"As Mr Paice has shut up for the weekend might I suggest a return visit Monday morning when the shop is open?"

Curruthers contemplates how bold he should be in trying to assist the gentlemen in their aims without seeming impertinent

"If you have no further business here may I also suggest the following"

Curruthers pulls his coat tighter against the bitter cold

"It has been 24 hours since you left message with Captain Lascelles regarding an audience with Major Gower . The Army and Navy Club is likely to be one of the few places to be open at this hour on a Saturday and is less than a mile from here. Might I suggest revisiting the the club to follow up on your wish to see the major. And who knows, if this Mr Paice and the one Mr. Norton referred to are one and the same he may very well be there at this moment.

Furthermore, even if the ex-soldiers are still not to be found at the club it may be an opportunity to find out  from someone else, specifically what location the regiment was stationed in Egypt, since Mr Norton was not forthcoming when asked at lunch".

Curruthers typically composed demeanor gives the slightest hint of a shiver

" At the very least, a visit to the club will be a respite from the cold."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:58:30 AM by Curruthers »

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2019, 01:32:10 AM »
"An excellent idea Curruthers! Normally I would suggest walking the relatively short distance, but I am sure Dr. Doctor Kárpáti would prefer a cab. Would you be so kind as to arrange one." said the professor.

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2019, 02:06:51 AM »
Curruthers looks to his master, knowing even with his gammy leg he is not averse to a relatively short walk if the pace permits.
"Sir?"
Curruthers continues, riding his luck presuming to advise his "betters"

"It is a pity no one is a member of the club able to enter in their own right. We must rely on the Major's good will to invite you in as guests to engage in conversation. Based on Mr Norton's reluctance to give details of their time in Egypt I suspect Major Gower or this Paice, if they are there, will not be forthcoming either.
To that end you must devise a good ploy to make him want to talk to you and finesse the information you desire.  Perhaps a scholar such as you professor Braithwaite or an ex-military man such as yourself Sir Reginald can couch your interest in the Buff''s movements in Egypt in seemingly innocuous terms, such as you are researching for a treatise on the subject. Alternatively, should neither be there or be willing to talk to you, perhaps another person who has served with the Buffs during their time in Egypt but unrelated to this intrigue can be found to at least provide information on the regiment movement in general, albeit not the specific exploits of Hollingsworth, Gower, Crouch, Paice, Summers, Sangster and Norton. If a specific location in Egypt can be identified, perhaps that may provide another avenue of investigation"

"Please stop me if I am overstepping my station."

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:11:21 AM by Curruthers »

Online Gymnosophist

« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
The gentlemen and the valet make their way to the Army and Club as proposed, wherein Captain Lascelles looks down his long nose at them in the manner of military men dealing with those who have not served, and informs the party that the Major was indeed in earlier, but has left for the afternoon. However, he did receive Professor Braithwaite’s card from yesternight and said he would be pleased to receive him and his companions at 9 o’clock tonight, here at the Club. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:31:50 PM by Gymnosophist »

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2019, 03:37:40 AM »
Curruthers presumes to act on behalf of what he understands the interest of the group.

"Thank you Captain Lascelles. Might one also inquire if one Lieutenant Paice is also a member here  and if so is he in at the moment? The gentlemen would be most keen to meet him also. Or indeed anybody who served with The Buffs during their time in Egypt"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:47:21 AM by Curruthers »

Online Gymnosophist

« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
Captain Lascelles raises an eyebrow, clearly nonplussed at being addressed by one he considers his social inferior. When he replies to Carruthers’ question, he all but ignores the valet, choosing to face the three gentlemen instead.

“I do not know anyone by that name, and I know everyone here. I am not, however, familiar with the service records of all our members. So if you seek those who served with the Buffs, and specifically those who served while the regiment was stationed in Egypt, you had best ask Major Gower or Colonel Hollingsworth. As I may have mentioned last night though, I have not seen the Colonel here for some weeks.”

At this point, Lascelles rests both hands on the solid mahogany counter, signalling his reluctance to continue the conversation.

“Now, is there any other way I might be of service to you gentlemen?”

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2019, 06:02:43 AM »
Professor Braithwaite smiled appearing ignorant of the captains tone "As it happens you may be of further assistance. Do you by chance know where I might find records of the Royal East Kent Regiment's recent deployments abroad? Presumably a regiment keeps a detailed account of such things?"

Online Gymnosophist

« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2019, 07:23:08 AM »
Captain Lascelles sighs wearily. "You will find such records are kept in Somerset House Sir; I suggest you look there if you are interested. I hope it isn't an urgent matter though -- I cannot imagine why it would be -- since as you may know, government buildings are not open to the general public at the week end."

At this point, Sir Reginald steps to the front of the party and clears his throat before addressing the Captain.

"Good day Captain. My name is Sir Reginald Napier, formerly of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment, fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, and alumnus of Merton College. I was wondering if, on the strength of my service in Her Majesty's Armed Forces, brief though it was, I might be entitled to membership in this illustrious Club."

Both of Captain Lascelles' pencil thin eyebrows shoot up in surprised recognition. "Not Sir Reginald Napier the explorer?"

"I have that honour, yes."

"The same who also served with the Queen's Guides in Afghanistan? I read that you sailed an air ballon across the Hindu Kush! And were you not also with Stanley on his famous expedition across Africa?"

"Indeed I was Sir. Though in truth I must own that my secondment to the Guides was as a civilian; I am pleased to imagine, however, that my service there contributed in some small way to the efforts of our troops on the ground."

"I am sure they did Sir!" replies the by now somewhat cowed Captain Lascelles. "We would be honoured to have such a famous personage in our membership. However, as I am sure you can imagine, the entry process is not such a straight forward affair. It requires a proposal by one of our existing members at our next meeting, followed by a ballot; only then, unless a candidate is black balled -- which I'm sure could not possibly happen in this case, would he be granted membership." Lascelles visibly squirms as Sir Reginald regards him in silence, not a muscle moving on his impressively chiselled jaw. The Captain coughs once or twice, then having regained his composure, continues. "Perhaps in your special case, however, we might be able to make an exception. The joining fee is £25, with an annual fee of £7".

Sir Reginald promptly produces his cheque book and signs a bill of exchange for the required sum, while the Captain bows and scrapes like an unctuous toady.

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2019, 12:42:49 AM »
Curruthers notes the change of attitude in Lascelles upon learning of Sir Reginald's pedigree.

With a subtle whispered aside to Dr Karparti:

"Sir, in light of Cpt Lacelles new found eagerness to be accommodating, perhaps Sir Reginald could be persuaded to  inquire if Col Hollingworth's recent prolonged absence is out of character, or indeed, of concern. Perhaps even to venturing to obtain, under the guise of some tenable purpose,  the location of Col Hollingworth's place of residence?"

Then, dispensing with the furtiveness:

"Sir. If you and the gentlemen are proceeding elsewhere at this time, I shall be happy to continue to render what assistance I can. If, however you are intent on waiting out Major Gower at the Club,  I feel I will not be productive, let alone welcome, loitering for some hours on the premises. In which case if you will not be requiring me futher, I would take leave to attend to my domestic duties back at the residence and reconvene with you and the other gentlemen at a later time?"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:50:10 AM by Curruthers »

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2019, 01:39:16 AM »
Dr Karparti gives a subtle nod to his valet and his suggestion.

"Zank you Carruthers. I believe ve shall be vaiting here at ze club for ze Major. I vill let you attend to your duties. Ve may be here until ze close of the evening."

The Doctor maintains his composure while observing the toadying of Captain Lacelles. Clearly not an officer of quality and the Doctor doubts if this man served in any real engagements.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:48:20 AM by Usdrothek »

ICE webring