HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 10:07:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350412
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 10
Total: 12

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Possible new game  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Possible new game
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:32:57 PM »
I have a tabletop game that is grinding to  halt due to ihe demands on the lives of teenage boys and distance between players.  I am thinking of trying to migrate to a PBP form for the game.  But I also feel my primary players lack motivation. So I am curious about the interest in a 2nd party--not necessarily competition but a group with their own interests.  Hearing about the exploits of others might motivate my crew.  I am not looking for cannon fodder, but a second group to adventure in the same setting and local, as the first. 

The setting is the City State of the Invincible Overlord.   This was original a Judges Guild setting but was later modified in the Necromancer Game series.  Bother were D&D settings that I have modified the RM2.  The current party is all elves, so I am looking for non elf characters, unless a compelling back story can be presented, i.e. Crazy Alice.  Players will start out as new adventurers in a big city setting.  While the current players at 2-3 level,  I can easily see the new party catching up or surpassing the original given their slow play.

Please let me know if you are interested and what race and profession you are interested in.

Offline Dax

• Baron
Re: Possible new game
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
You mean these are city adventures - the high art of roleplaying?

I'm interested ...
in
a normal human with an appropriate background = profession (rogue, beggar, Invincible Overlord ...)

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »
I'm also interested. :wizi:

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 01:46:56 AM »
Great let's see if we can find a few more.  I am playing RM2 will most optional rules available.  The only place I diverge from the rules tends to be in martial arts, and even those are not that big.  Overlord is not an option--at least for starting players.  I will entertain almost any race.  There are several included in the setting that include a viking like group, amazons, an almost elvish human variant that excels in magic, horse nomads, local barbarians, as well as some other human races.  I have also added Middle-Eastern and African types of characters, and Asian based characters are also, likely.

The City is unusual in that pretty much anything goes, as long as the peace is kept.  Slavery is legal and big business.  Any religion may be practiced.  Business seems to be the driving force.  Because of this, adventurers from far and wide come to get training, arms armor, work or just to gawk.  You are as likely to see an ogre on the street as a courtesan--and determining which is more dangerous might be tough!

The city is at the head of a long estuary. where the river goes over several waterfalls.  There is a swamp outside the walls on one side and a dense woods opposite the river on the other side.  A major trade road runs past the city, and the estuary permits sea traffic to the city as well.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
 Overlord is not an option--at least for starting players. 

So I have to gain 5th level before I become an Invincible Overlord ?
Always those unrealistic restrictions ... ;)

To make the decision for a profession, we (I) need more information about our whereabouts.
If we have to deal with the local nobility a swineherd might not mix in that well.

OK, my mistake: Profession doesn't mean background.
Profession: Swineherd; Status: Royal Blood ...

So as Profession I go with Rogue - like always ...

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Which companions would be in use, if any?
"Hold still while I get that squirrel off your face with my morningstar."- Aloysius (first level magician).

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
As to the Companions I am OK with any, with this caveat--I have not explored every possibility or rule and I may have to modify some to maintain game balance.  I typically do not worry about endurance or encumbrance (within reason).

The setting is in one of the biggest cities in the known world, if not the biggest.  The Invincible Overlord is allied with a Dwarven Kingdom to the north.  Has the upper hand in a simmering conflict with an upstart city state to the east.  And if arch-rival of the World Emperor, whose capital is to the south.  The amazons and vikings (aka Skandicks), have been more or less subjugated, but remain autonomous.  The World Emperor also holds lands to the west of the Invincible Overlord.  Vallon, is a city state to the northeast of the Overlord, who is independent, but does not meddle much in the politics of the other cities (think Switzerland).

Within the City, every social level is represented from staves, to beggars, the the poor, to laborers, to artisans, to merchants, to guild members, to bureaucrats, to the theocracy, to nobles, to the royal court.  There is certainly a deference to the noble born.

A quick digestion>>> I have a home grown chart that I uses to establish birth status.  I am willing to work with backgrounds to fit the player into the chart appropriately with some variation still possible.  The chart uses a d100 roll to determine where in the social order you were born, ranging from outcast through first born prince.  The further up the ladder you are born the more "opportunity" you will start with.

Within the city the ladder is defined by the Social Level a characteristic from the background.  This level is based upon your reputation within the City State and immediate environs.  So even if of noble birth but foreign, your social status will only be improved marginally.  Profession and dress will have an immediate effect on initial social status, but actions can quickly off-set such a bonus.

If you are new to town, you will need to find accommodations, which will dictate to a large extend who you will be dealing with initially.  If you are local I will assign an initial  residence based on background, which will also dictate who you will be interacting with initially.  This setting allows for practically any interplay desired.  For example, a cadre of swineherds heads to the big city with dreams of cornering the pork market.  If successful, swineherds might be courted by the nobles for a pork chop!

While fighting is always possible and even probable, this is an urban setting.  Think the old west, where many were armed and good shots, but it was not a constant free-for-all...normal life still went on.  And much like an old west gold town, the economy is a bit unbalanced by adventurers coming in with large amounts of loot looking to resupply, recreate and intoxicate.

Please ask if you have a specific question or would like more general description.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
If we act as a group to achieve something you have in mind or to compete against your face-to-face-players,
shouldn't we have a social status to get there?

Or if we all roll for birth status, there might be a strange background story that we are working together.
It might be simple (survived a shipwreck) and the one of noble blood is a stanger to the town
- that gives him the status of a common person because his house is unknown/without influence here.
Or straight forward: The noble one hires the rest of the group, but still some places are of the reach of character according to status.

The base of my sorrow:
Once I played Chilvery and Sorcery with gamers my friend played once in a while and they were eager to check the system out - so we were 4 players and a GM.
The system was highly praised for the status roll.
But after the rolls I was a yeoman* and my friend was of royal blood - according to the rules with 6 Knights in full armor as bodyguards.
(Those knights would kill anything at the command of their protégé, so we put them aside.)

In the game the GM doesn't make any difference between us both,
finally I asked my friend silently to command me to guard his horse (no other was allowed to ride by the way)
while he talked to a hermit in his cave,
what I did subserviencly.

Of course there was an outcry "You can't do it", me shouldn't do it etc.
My friend roleplayed masterly: "I'm high born so I shouldn't walk among the common people, my horse is important for me and for the common people. It is a honor for him to accompany my horse." etc

Later in the game I was placed in the kitchen to eat and the like,
while the other were better served (one was an elf - automatically conceived as somehow noble, and the last one was a dwarf "automatic status" of a hero warrior).
And it started to be amusing ...

__
*Funny side note: My longbow was broken because the system gave him a tremondous damage to penetrate wooden structures what was observed in real life.
But therefore one arrow could also penetrate five (or so) humans in a row (or some of the knights even in armor).
First Edition C&S or misunderstood rules I don't know ...

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
I can understand the frustration that you felt in that game.  Understand that in my games, the noble status does provide boons, but in this setting you will tend to find that actions carry more weight than titles.  While there are some that hold the noble blood line as the ultimate social status, most do not.  There are merchants that are wealthier that many nobles.  While the Overlords  knights are nobles, the palace guard are not.  There are non-nobles in the city that hold far more political power than most of the nobles.  While the City's constables are all nobles, they are typically incompetent and it is the City Guard that handles the actual effective action of crows control and suppression of violent groups. 

Also realize that the City is populated in no small part by adventurers, who are quite capable of defending themselves and tend not to take kindly to being ordered around by fops and dandies.  In general, you can find areas where being of noble birth still carries considerable weight and import, but in most circles noble birth might by a grudging respect, but that and a copper will get you a cup of coffee.

In short I would ask that you trust me on this one.

If you can determine a course/plan as a group that can be worked into backgrounds, and you have a lot of latitude as to what your plan can be.  If on the other hand, you prefer, I will devise a means of pulling the party together.  I will let you know that the face to face party was pulled together in a race riot.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
I can understand the frustration that you felt in that game. 
It was more disapointment than frustration:
If you admire a status roll, but didn't use it why roll it?
And in the end I forced using the satus to the extend, but heck I was a yeomen and not worth the dirt the noble spit at.
It was an one-shot-adventure and fun.

My friend is still around in our face-to-face group
and he also used sometimes rolls whose results he omitted cause they didn't fit.
This also happened with character creation (table for hair color, structure and then for advantages/disadvantages <- those are mostly omitted, but if some rolls ambidextrous ...

In short I would ask that you trust me on this one.
I always trust the GM *,
but I'm careful if such kind of rolls were used (burnt child ...).

And such rolls might have a wonderful result:
In a game a girl wanted to be an elb, but I wanted them to play humans to interact with elbs, but she persisted.
To get going I allowed her a roll on the MERP race table and she got an half-elb,
the other two players rolled Sindarin.

So I changed the whole story - they played the other side of it.
Later (and still today) I couldn't imagine how to play the original human plot.

___
So give me that table:
Status 
Rolled 1d100 : 68, total 68

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
Status 68

quite good
(with a lousy roll I would have persisted that this was only for training and didn't count  ;) )

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 02:15:27 PM »
68 is a lesser noble.  Basically, noble birth, but little else in the way of significant benefit.  As I mentioned there is opportunity that stems from a higher birth rank.  This gives you 5 background options and d100-25 SP starting funds and 2 Ancestry rolls using a d100.  The Ancestry is something that I lifted  from the AD&D Oriental Adventures book.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:20:48 PM by Just X »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
I should also mention that I allow an honor system in the game.  It is not mandatory, and can impose limitations on characters; however, in recompense there are benefits, unavailable to others, to honorable or anti-honorable characters that play it well.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Interesting, I also comtenplated the use of the AD&D Orirtental book's honour system in RM2 but never got to finish it.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
mine is still a work in progress, as may players find it to limiting--and I do not want to force it upon players.  I have tried it with some NPCs but its not quite the same.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
I think they make up some neat reputation rules. And they're not too encumbering, IIRC they took only 3 pages. I would like to see how you work them into a game.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
So far I have tried an honorable thief,  which one player declared needed to be killed immediately--because there is nothing worse than a thief with honor.
I have also tried an NPC dwarven fighter, but this character did go far enough to assess the system much.  I currently have one player that might adopt the honor system based upon his actions, but hasn't stepped up yet.

Do you have any thoughts on profession or race?

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:07 PM »
Rolemaster also has an honor system in Arms Companion. Not my cup of tea, but reminded you of it. 

I developed a serious dislike for the various Companions and will not be joining.
"Hold still while I get that squirrel off your face with my morningstar."- Aloysius (first level magician).

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »
It's a city campaign, right? I'd like to have a human assassin; or if you use the honour system, a sleuth from RM Companion III. He'd be a private detective.

For my characters I normally allow double the development points, I don't know how you do it. We start at 1st level?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 02:14:36 AM »
Raf sorry to hear it, but I understand.  You do not need to play any of those rules, and I tend to use few in NPCs so if you encounter them it will likely be from fellow players.

Yes it is a city campaign.  As to Dev Points I use the standard rules for the primary skills and for secondary skills I allow the unused primary points plus and additional 40% of the primary total.

Human assassin is a very distinct possibility.  If you would prefer the PI character you are welcome to explore that path.  Please understand that either character can follow the honor system with relatively equal easy/difficulty.  My vision is that the character/play defines a code of conduct and then lives by that code.  I.E. the Conan character had a definite code of conduct, by which he lived.  Likewise, an assassin can have a code of conduct--in my world view there is a need for this profession and those who do it honorably are a rare and precious commodity.

Likewise, the pursuit of an honorable Private Investigator is also possible.  What I am curious about this option is where you see selling your services?  This is not to say that markets do not exist, but I feel that they are every differenterse and that you will need to identify a mentor or initial customer that was your entry into that market sector.  Example markets are cheating spouse, criminal charges, business espionage, missing persons, etc.  I will let you know that there is a corps of detectives that is employed by the City for criminal investigations.  I will also let you know that there a lawyers within the City that might employ PIs.

future fantasy tabletop role play game, sic-fi and fantasy writers links to www.swordandsigil.com