HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 09:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350440
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 7
Total: 8

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Possible new game  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
Re: Possible new game
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »
Business espionage sounds great! I would play the private investigator and be ready to hear from lawyers wanting to hire a detective.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 03:17:17 AM »
Given that direction, I would assume that you are local.  care to roll a d100 for social status/birth rank?  That may help determine education options, unless you want to develop a background first and I will modify the social roll accordingly.  As to character generation, do you have a preference for stats?  In face to face games I allow as many sets of rolls as needed to find a set you are happy with---But I keep the rest of the rolls for NPCs that you will face in the game!

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
I'll roll for social status/birth rank, and below for the 10 stats,

Rolled 1d100 : 94, total 94
Rolled 1d100 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d100 : 40, total 40
Rolled 1d100 : 83, total 83
Rolled 1d100 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d100 : 72, total 72
Rolled 1d100 : 17, total 17
Rolled 1d100 : 24, total 24
Rolled 1d100 : 81, total 81
Rolled 1d100 : 78, total 78
Rolled 1d100 : 94, total 94

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »
Can't complain about the social status but hope it won't be a hindrance given my low level!

Is there a minimum stat (I rolled two threes)?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 06:19:38 PM »
Birth rank has you has you as the first born son of a Courtier.  The boon for this rank is 4 ancestry rolls on a d100, a d100-25 gold for starting cash, and 8 background options.  Due to your birth rank one could be spent on a formal education / a tutor in martial arts (armed or otherwise) / or a mentor in any other skill set desired. 

As to stats, the minimum roll for an adventure is 20, so the 3's and 17 can be re-rolled.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 11:39:29 PM »
Also forgot to mention, many of the later sons of nobles join the City Guard as constables.  While this crew is generally thought to be nothing but incompetents, more worried about the party life than actual police work.  However, that is a generalization and there are some who actually care and are good at their job.  Those that try harder tend to move up the ranks quickly and many become detectives (as mentioned earlier).  This tend to insulate them from their lesser brethren, and the city allows them much free rein as they tend to produce results.  Given your birth rank this too is an option.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:19 PM »
I'll join the city watch, but if I start as lvl 1, I won't be a detective yet right? Below, I'll roll for 4 D100 ancestry rolls; one D100-25 for money; and three stat rerolls,

Rolled 1d100 : 85, total 85
Rolled 1d100 : 62, total 62
Rolled 1d100 : 65, total 65
Rolled 1d100 : 83, total 83
Rolled 1d100-25 : 43 - 25, total 18
Rolled 1d100 : 33, total 33
Rolled 1d100 : 99, total 99
Rolled 1d100 : 99, total 99

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »
Quite the improvement on the stat rolls!

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 02:11:42 AM »
Given your rolls you will start with a base honor of 10.  Your family has an estate outside the city walls, but you also likely have a town house within the walls, for extended business/visits.

Do not feel compelled, to join the city guard.  The guard tend to be later sons of nobles, who will not inherit their family business.  [As an aside this brings up the question of your eventual inheritance.  It is possible that your family made the money the old fashion way--inheriting it for so long that the original business is forgotten.  It is also possible that the family fortune has been squandered and even as the first born you see the need to find a steady income.]  Back to the guards, it is also possible that you are "apprenticing" to an existing detective within the guard.  It is also possible to freelance.  In the City State lawyers are known as litigation tricksters, and they practice oration more than law;however, knowing the facts never hurts one's case.  It is also possible that so far detective-ing has been a hobby, with your greatest challenge being finding a case.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
Yup, I've never had a character with so high stats. I'll be apprenticing to an existing detective within the guard, that sounds fine.

Below I roll the stats for the Potentials,
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d100 : 51, total 51
Rolled 1d100 : 40, total 40
Rolled 1d100 : 45, total 45
Rolled 1d100 : 76, total 76
Rolled 1d100 : 41, total 41
Rolled 1d100 : 14, total 14
Rolled 1d100 : 59, total 59
Rolled 1d100 : 34, total 34
Rolled 1d100 : 38, total 38
Rolled 1d100 : 41, total 41

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 06:18:06 AM »
Sorry I edited my post and forgot the stats; but they are very low, if you want me I'll rolll again.

If you make me 1st level even if you run a lvl up system/episode you'll have to create a lot of NPCs, I believe, if you want the character to have a minimum survival chance. My lvl based on MERP modules, is 9th level for village mayors and worthies; 15th for towns; and 20th for cities. You decide, GM!

Rerolling the 14,
Yup, I've never had a character with so high stats. I'll be apprenticing to an existing detective within the guard, that sounds fine.

Below I roll the stats for the Potentials,
Rolled 1d100 : 37, total 37

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:31 AM »
Potentials are based upon a d100 roll and a table (15.11).  So the potential stats are:

St  51
Qu 62
Pr  83
In  99
Em 72
Co  99
Ag  54
Sd  81
Me  78
Re  94

Please note that the potentials shown here correspond to the stats only in the sense that these are the order that I put the stats in.  The first potential corresponds to the first stat roll.  Feel free to re-arrange the stats in the order that best suits your character.

Please also provide a roll to determine who in the Guard you are mentored by.

As to level everyone starts at level 1.  Call me nostalgic, but I like the joy of victories at low levels.  The face to face party started there and is now at level 2-3, but they play very slowly so I do not doubt that you could quickly surpass them. 

As to power, yes initial characters are very weak when compared to the powers to be.  Keep that in mind when facing those of unknown power levels.  This is not the type of campaign where a first level characters can over run a village.  It is very possible that characters can goof and die.  But this is a city and the rule of law is generally enforced, so low level characters stand a fighting chance if they play it smart.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
Level 1 it will be! I've ordered the stats below. I still miss to roll for adolescence and level 1 the stat increase rolls.

STATS      Abbr.      Temporary   Potential
Constitution      (CO)      83   45
Agility       (AG)      94   51
Self-Discipline         (SD)      81   40
Memory       (ME)      78   41
Reasoning      (RE)      90   59
Strength       (ST)      99   41
Quickness      (QU)      99   14
Presence      (PR)      34   63
Intuition       (IN)      90   76
Empathy      (EM)      24   34

I replaced two low stats for two 90s in the primary stats IN and RE, as per Character Law rules.

Before proceeding with Character Creation I'd like to know your ruling on this. In ICE's character creation book, Heroes and Rogues, the author allows 6 hobby ranks to be added to any skill. This is a wise thing in my opinion as it decreases the abyss between very low characters and the others above due to the decreasing effectiveness of skill ranks at higher levels. If I put 6 skill ranks in a weapon then I'll have at least 8 skill ranks, for a total OB of +40; with an addition of a +10 B.O. and +20 of strength and a +10 magical weapon, I'd get a +80 OB - not bad, hey?

Given the low hit points at lvl 1 and the lack of armour I might fall at the first strike but at least I had an even chance to fight higher level characters.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:24:36 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 07:07:58 PM »
My mentor would be Colonel John Gardiner, a nobleman with some distant family connections that helps me in my missions then and again.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:16:50 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:20 AM »
Dalewarrior with respect to potential stats they need to be higher or equal to the temporary.  I took your rolls from the tampered post and applied then to the table 15.11 the Stat Potential Table  this yielded the number in my Nov 7th post for potentials  As I tried to point out there, I simply assigned the numbers to the stats as thy occur.  You are welcome to rearrange the temporaries as you have just keep the associated potential with that number.  Stat gain rolls are appropriate.  Also you can apply level bonuses as per the characters profession; albeit these wont help much at level 1 or 2.

While I am not fundamentally opposed to the idea of hobby ranks, I have not used them with the other characters, so I do not think it would be appropriate to allow them for you.  On a brighter note, I do allow an additional 40% of the primary DP total to be spent on Secondary Skills.  While this will not help you with the initial OB, it does allow for much greater character diversification, and some interesting skill pairings.  I only count the skills specifically listed in the base rules as primary skills, all others are secondary.  So Martial Arts styles, combat maneuvers, subduing, feinting, etc are all secondary skills.

Also your families holdings provide you a monthly income of 16 GP.  You can add 16 GP to your initial 18 GP.

As to offensive bonuses a 4th level fighter in the other group has an OB of 80 and a 3rd level has an OB of 75.  So you will not be too far behind even without the hobbies. 

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 09:46:13 PM »
Okay, let's wait if more players arrive before we get into character generation.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
Before getting into character generation?  Before???

You already started.

Another question to the GM,
because it is a city adventure:
Do you use Streetwise, Region Lore (knowing the streets, shortcuts and the like) and Region History (knowledge of the inhabitants etc.)?

Or what is your stand on this ...

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 06:27:42 PM »
I meant making a character sheet, Dax.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2018, 04:59:32 AM »
@ Dax absolutely!  Streetwise/heraldry/scrounge/diplomacy are powerful skills in this setting.  But note that as this is a nexus for adventurers, knowing the locals of import may not cover all situations.  But these skills will certainly prove useful. 

Also as an FYI slavery is legal and a booming business within the City State.  I apologize the way info is being provided in dribs and drabs, but this is a rich urban background and it is difficult to assess what is most important to each player/character.

If you (anyone out there) have any questions please ask.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Of course I follow the GM's use of the skills.

But Scrounge as a skill ...

I have my difficulties with this concept.
It's OK to get a feeling how much money someone earns with this occupation, but for roleplaying?
"Oh a beggar ... I won't give him a thing!".
Skill roll "Scrounge" OEP 243.
"Oh, here take this, my magical sword ... " ???

Of course this skill is more:
Get a feeling how freely someone gives, how to play on someone (like living in his house in Malibou without paying a rent ...);
accordingly to bribery: Is this person corrupt, for how much or for what ...

The first RPG system I played had a skill for "knowledge of human nature" in it.
It was only used to detect a lie (but there wasn't a skill for lying (acting), the character just did it).

In my Rolemaster games I therefore used "seduction" as a men-knowledge-skill,
but it was also used to know if person would do unlawful thing for something (money).

The knowledge might be rolled, but the act could also be roleplayed,
with the danger that a fumble might end up in prison (for attempted bribery etc.).

OK, the main reason was to bring this thread up again  ::)

future fantasy tabletop role play game, sic-fi and fantasy writers links to www.swordandsigil.com