HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 09:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350440
  • Total Topics: 7460
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 11
Total: 12

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Possible new game  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Possible new game
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »
Sorry for being unresponsive for a bit.  I was at a family reunion, where there was no phone reception and there was about a millimeter of band width trying the be used by 35 people.

On my homespun social chart your 39 is guild member/tradesman, with 4 background options.  I also realized when I said "I was not a fan of the special abilities", I should have clarified that statement. I not a fan of the ones in the character law book.  There are another set in Rolemaster Companion that are split between Arms and Magic.  This set I do like as they have the drawbacks built into the table (i.e. Hemophilia on a roll of 1). But some are interesting and can become the focus of a character if not a plot hook.  Roll high enough and you get special stat bonuses. Also the rules allow for 2 BO spent to yield 3 rolls.  I permit the rolls on either table or split between the tables.  If you are interested.

As to having 2 sleuths/detectives in the group, I am fine with that, just understand there may be limitations on the party's range of abilities.  I could easily see to sleuths banding together to work a case, any others might be added to fill in the gaps or for specific skills. 

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 01:59:23 AM »
JustX, are you still accepting players?

I was thinking about a down-on-his luck swordsman, with aspirations of becoming a weapons master. But I’d be happy to take a pregen... whatever fills in the gaps in the party.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2019, 06:50:08 AM »
If you are fine with what I've rolled, I'm fine with keeping it just the way it turned out... As for two sleuths, I think it'll work fine. Just need to ensure we don't take exactly the same skills (and especially Spell Lists.. don't get many anyway...)

Social status, no real problem there either, and for the B/O, hmm, not sure I'm entirely keen on linking Social Status to the amount you receive.. however, I only effectively received 4/5 anyway ;).

What I got leaves me close enough to the dregs of society to be useful there..

Barrow Yes! :)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
33/13 DP

1st:

(Standard skills = 32/33)

MIN (Soft Leather): (1*) =6 (6) = Total 6

Weapons
1-H Edged (Dagger): (3/7) = 1 (3) = Total 2
Bows (Sling): (5) = 0 = Total 1
1-H Crush (Club): (7) = 0 (0) = Total 1

(then no ranks purchased, but assigned costs = Thrown (7), Pole (7), 2-H (10) )

Climbing: (3/9) =1 (3) = Total 2
Swimming: (2/6) =0 (0) =Total 1
Riding (Donkey)... : (2/6) = 1 (2) = Total 1
Disarm Traps: (3/6) =1 (3) = Total 1
Pick Locks: (3/6) = 1 (3) = Total 2
S & H: (2/5) =1 (2) = Total 2
Martial Arts (S&T): 1 (4) = Total 1

Perception: (1/3): = 1 (1) =Total 2
Body Development: (3/8) 1 (3) = Total 2
Linguistics: (2*) = 0
Spell Lists: (4*) = 2 (8) = Total 3

============
Secondary skills: (DP 14/13, includes  +1 C/f unspent from Standard)

Streetwise (1/3) = 2 (4) = Total 4
Surveillance (1/2) = 2 (3) = Total 4
Interrogation (1/2) = 1 (1) = Total 2
Tumbling (2/5) = 1 (2) = Total 2
Trading (2/4) = 0 (0) = Total 1
First Aid (2/6) =1 (2) = Total 2
Cooking (2/6) = 1 (2) = Total 2

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »
Barrow--Yes absolutely

GB,  I mentioned earlier that if you want to take a reduction in your social status I would grant an additional stat gain roll for each -10 you take to the social roll.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51:39 PM »
Barrow--Yes absolutely

Thanks!

I’ve got some of the pdfs, but not all of them. I can definitely muddle thru chargen, but I’ll probably need a little help. I’m also cool with a pregen.  :mellow:

After looking through Character Law... I think I've changed my mind from a swordsman. I'd like to go with Warrior Monk, if that's an option. JustX I know you said you have your own house rules for martial arts, so I'm not sure if that's something you want to deal with in this game. I'm okay with a regular fighter too, if that's easier, but that's sort of my norm and I'd like to try something different.

I think he's fallen in with the PIs, and maybe acts as their "muscle."

Edit: Changed from swordsman...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:45:15 AM by Barrow »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 03:39:29 AM »
A warrior monk is a fine choice.  I have been using the Martial arts companion, with some modifications but the basic character would be generated as per the RM Companion rules.  Not sure if you saw the discussion on an Honor system but that would be another option.  The biggest piece of the MA stuff I have adopted from the MA Companion (which was hinted at with Kung-Fu in the Arms Law) is the use of MA styles.  The DP cost for these is fairly high (from memory 4/rank), so initially it might be OK to just take strike and sweeps ranks.  Especially since you can't have a style rank greater that the corresponding strike or sweep rank.  Given the location finding a school/teacher for any given style would not be too hard, unless your style is extremely unusual to the point of bordering on unknown (but even that would have a chance).   If you want to develop a custom style I am fine with  that too, and you could use multiple teachers to learns specific aspects.  In a prior campaign the players found a book that taught Dick Dasterdly's fighting style--a style focusing on dirty tricks, because you are fighting to the death!

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 06:31:02 AM »
Just X,
I've appended my character sheet below.
Cheers,
DW

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
I'm quite happy with the BO's I've got, but would be willing to drop the "Bread", (lowering my B/O's to 3 from 4), if a lowering of social class by -10 (to 29) or -20 (to 19) doesn't further impact on the number of B/O's by taking it below 3.

Admittedly, I could do with the stat gain rolls ;) (Would these be for individual stats, or all of them?)

(Basically, I would like to keep the three of the four B/O's I've already rolled, +10 item and the two social backgrounds)

Social Background #1: Multi-cultural. 2-3 Additional Languages (spoken and Written) to Rank 10. Not sure what ones you use, but will let you assign these. ;)
Social Background #2: Race Friend. What exact bonuses this gives, I don't know, it's quite vague but seems to indicate, at least, an additional language.   

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
A warrior monk is a fine choice.  I have been using the Martial arts companion, with some modifications but the basic character would be generated as per the RM Companion rules.  Not sure if you saw the discussion on an Honor system but that would be another option.  The biggest piece of the MA stuff I have adopted from the MA Companion (which was hinted at with Kung-Fu in the Arms Law...

Very good, thanks! I don’t have the Martial Arts Companion, and can’t seem to find it in pdf (even on Drive thru RPG), so I suppose I’ll have to lean on you regarding the “styles.”  But I really like the idea of him seeking out teachers in the city. In fact, that probably explains why he’s in the city in the first place... and maybe he’s working for the other PCs just to pay the bills.

I did read about the honor system... I definitely think it’s something that would be important to him, though I’d probably adapt his sense of “honor” to be compatible with the group... even if it’s a shady bunch of PCs, I have a few ideas to make it work.

I have RM Companion... or at least I think I do. The pdf I looked at last night did not seem to have any rules on character generation. Maybe I have a different version?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2019, 03:10:13 AM »
Dalewarrior--After just a quick glance I would suggest rounding the totals up or down  to the nearest whole number.  I will take a look at the character sheet in more detail this weekend.  Also I am not familiar with spending a background option for a spell list, is this somewhere in the rules?

GB--In my social/birth rank chart the loss of rank will result in the loss of background options.  You could go as low as an 11 on the chart and still maintain 3 BOs.  So you could move down to laborer as you social status, still have 3 BOs and get 2 Stat gain  rolls, if you so choose. As to Multi-Cultural, lets see your background and then I will select languages/cultures.  I would assume that race friend means that you were raised or at least lived in another culture for a significant period of time.  For example your father was ambassador to Japan for 5 years and you had a Japanese nanny that raised you as her own--so you are intimate with Japanese culture and the language. You were inside the culture. As opposed to up near Chinatown, which would have you being multi-cultural knowing the language, foods and holiday, but not the specifics of social graces, racial preferences/hatereds, or other detailed specifics of the culture.  You watched from the outside.  Background will help determine which cultures. 
n
Barrow--the background options in the Rolemaster Companion are in section 4.5 Background Options on paged 49-51 in my book (#1500).  This chart lists 1-100 rolls for arms and magic background options with rolls generally over 50 granting stat bonuses appropriate to arms or magic ranging from +10 to +20.  Below 45-50 the options grant various specific traits.  Very low might be hemophilia (increased bleeding crits) or demonic possession.  Higher might be weapon master (1 weapon at 1/2 skill cost), all ranges doubled, or can know one spell list to 50 even if not a magic user and so one.  One roll is 1 BO or for 2 BO you can get 3 rolls.  I can work with you on these if you can't find the section.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2019, 03:32:47 AM »
Barrow  I forgot to mention that the MA Companion also permits Locking Holds and Nerve Strikes for warrior monks, but only to Rank 1 w/o a style.  Picture Jujitsu or Chi Na or the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.  Anatomically specific and more precise, they use the MA attack tables (sweeps for locking; strikes for nerves) but with their own crit tables.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:34:29 PM by Just X »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
I'll take the two stat gain rolls, and get creative with my background then soon after.

If it's a big city I'll assume that I've been raised there (and it'll be the humans of the city that I shared that time with), probably being adopted/apprenticed by a Guild (Run by a coalition of Human/Dwarf/Hobbit  tradesman) but not (yet) achieving the social status of such because of the adoption (i.e. not exactly a slave.. but more like a hobbit version of Cinderella? :) )

Parents? Perhaps one/both were in the guild that adopted me... and have disappeared/died/whatever... it's a mystery!

I'd favour Dwarvern (spoken), Goblin and another common Spoken language as the bonus languages (or the equivalents).

Given that Dwarvish (written) is usually restricted to dwarves but Stouts are closely associated, I'd like to have learn a little of that in addition to my standard starting languages(probably Hobbit or Westron).

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Barrow  I forgot to mention that the MA Companion also permits Locking Holds and Nerve Strikes for warrior monks, but only to Rank 1 w/o a style.  Picture Jujitsu or Chi Na or the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.  Anatomically specific and more precise, they use the MA attack tables (sweeps for locking; strikes for nerves) but with their own crit tables.

Thanks JustX. I did find the background section in RM Companion, just as you described.I guess I just overlooked it. I was looking for an entire Character Generation section.

I’ve looked everywhere for the Martial Arts Companion pdf, but all I’ve found is a blog saying that there is no pdf for it. So it looks like I’m going to have to depend on you for the Martial Arts styles... if you don’t mind.

Should I start rolling in this thread? Or wait for the game thread?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:09:55 PM by Barrow »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
Barrow go ahead and start here.  I have asked GB to open a game board--at least I thought I sent the PM.  we can transfer the important bits over when that board is open.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »
OK. Here’s the social status roll, followed by 10 Stat rolls.

Rolled 1d100 : 57, total 57
Rolled 1d100 : 1, total 1
Rolled 1d100 : 38, total 38
Rolled 1d100 : 29, total 29
Rolled 1d100 : 15, total 15
Rolled 1d100 : 16, total 16
Rolled 1d100 : 30, total 30
Rolled 1d100 : 84, total 84
Rolled 1d100 : 78, total 78
Rolled 1d100 : 92, total 92
Rolled 1d100 : 98, total 98

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
Well that 1 hurts  :rolleyes:

I can live with it though. I’ll figure out what stats to apply them to later today.

Edit: I see that we can re-roll numbers less than 20. However, could I swap the first two rolls, and use the “1” as a social status roll, and the 57 as a stat? Would that make him too much of a pariah to be playable? It seems like it would fit in with what the rest of the party is doing.

I will re-roll the 15 and 16 before I assign stats.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:59:13 PM by Barrow »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2019, 04:58:21 PM »
Barrow go ahead and start here.  I have asked GB to open a game board--at least I thought I sent the PM.  we can transfer the important bits over when that board is open.

It's there. Honest. did it yesterday.

http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=9269.new#new

You Need to Create the Topic's yourself.... I can re-name that one later if you want. :)

Barrow: I thought you were rolling a 1d50 for the first few.. LOL.

BUT you've got some really high ones to compensate...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:05:43 PM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »
GB— Lol... yeah that didn’t start out so well. I have the feeling he’s going to be a very “focused” individual...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »
Well, 2 x 90's, 98, 92, 84 and 78. Ain't a bad place to start... :)

Advertisement