HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2019, 04:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 348703
  • Total Topics: 7443
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 8
Total: 9

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Zariya Savindy's Journal  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Zariya Savindy's Journal
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:32:06 PM »
You can use this for anything you want related to your character.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »

OK cool.
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
I use the spell list pick system, i.e. pure's pick 1-10 spells from a list next pick would gain 11-20.  I also use mana tap as we have discussed before--so you will need to choose Fixed, ambient, personal or granted as a mana source.  This allows for more character variability and a bit more of a personalization of magic.  For the time being I am using the level Power Point system, with modificaitons possible via Power Point development of mana source.  And I will open a Journal for Zariya.

Do you use the DP*5% plus Stat bonus on the Spell List Acquisition roll?

How many Lists can I attempt per level (do you use the base PP in # option)?

I will go back and re-read mana tap - missed that discussion.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
I use the 5% + stat for acquisition

I play one list at at time, but you can put over 100%, i.e. guarantee first list by having more than enough for that one and rest goes to second list. 

The mana tap stuff is pretty much homegrown. 

Granted mana, is pretty much how channeling spells work now--a deity provides the power points

Personal Mana is what you can muster from within yourself--your PP.

Ambient mana  is that which flows around you normally or in excess at Ley Lines, etc.  This source is tapped into to gain the PP for casting.

Fixed mana, is the mana locked in other things, for example the power points that could be gleamed from using a fire giant eyeball as a spell ingredient.  Crystals can also store mana in their rigid latice structure and can be use like batteries to tote PPs.

For now this is a work in progress, but the important thing is that it would allow a spell caster to cast what are thought of was channeling spells without needing to pray for the PP, instead the caster would gather these PP from another source.  Likewise a Lay Healer might have a god grant him  the power to heal himself, or he might collect components to power his spells.  Overall it adds variability to the character types and gives player more options.

One other thing, I am not sure a Sai would be considered a mounted weapon.  given the background you are pursuing, maybe a fork or trident or a saber might be more realistic.  I am also happy to entertain a custom weapon design (i.e. Mounted
Sai)  We just need to develop the size and weight, general shape, and an idea of how it is used. From there I can generate a fumble  range and an attack chart

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
What level do we start at?

Interesting info on mana, I will keep that in mind.

Background wise I figured he liked only learned to shoot a bow from horseback (hunting and support) as he wasn't a front line fighter. He picked up defensive weapon skills as he worked on his medical background.

Do you allow shield bash as an off-hand 1 crush weapon choice? (He will usually keep one hand free for spells and healing, so the sai or sabre is an afterthought in his mind - if he is fighting, something went wrong.)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:35:09 AM »
We start at level 1.  But in this setting I doubt that will last long.

I understand that character concept, it is just with respect to a weapon I would imagine that all weapon choices would be normal for mounted combat.  Thus, even a defensive weapon would likely have a few feet of reach.  Shield bash is definitely an option--although, while mounted, I would not allow bashes on foot troops.  Understood, with respect to fighting.  Even so, your starting culture would still be focused on mounted combat--so any weapon 2+ feet long.   I think a shield + weapon is a good choice.  You could also go with a mace or morning star if you prefer that to a slashing weapon. Also given your background a Katana or other Japanese style weapon is a possibility.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 03:13:16 AM »
OK Mace and Shield (plus maybe 1 ofr 2 ranks of bow) works for me.
Thinking so far +15 PR bonus (100 pts) and survival instinct (100 pts). Poking through the list for other ideas.

Two more Qs:
1) Do you use the smoothed stat bonuses from ROCO I?
2) Do you use the expanded skill cost charts from ROCO II?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »

Also thinking Scope Skills (radii/# targets doubled ) - 100 pts.
How about these for his 10 base lists (A Lay Healer/Warrior Mage hybird):
  • blood mastery
  • bone mastery
  • combat enhancement
  • concussion mastery
  • elemental ways
  • high riding
  • life mastery
  • muscle mastery
  • nerve and organ mastery
  • purifications

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:31:14 AM »
I have not been using smoothed stat bonuses mainly because I am old and have the other memorized.  :lol:

I do use the ROC II skill costs

As to the base lists these look good with one caveat.  I like the concept of a mixed spell caster--in some societies any one who can cast is placed in the same category--magic user.  I would see your society being one of these, with few spell casters of any kind you would be expected to work all kinds of miracles.  The caveat, I am not sure that high riding would fit your culture well; although it certainly sounds like it.  This is not a no--b/c I can see how helpful it would be to the party--just give me a justification.

Also another idea.  Would you consider spending 2 BOs to reflect guild/mentor training in the mystical arts?  The return would be 2 spell lists, 1 rank of attunement, 1 of runes, 2 of first aid, and 2 of diagnosis. I have permitted a bonus of +25 to surgery skills of those with race specific training.  This mean a chance of a successful minor surgery (i.e. second aid with little to no skill) and a bit of an investment might allow the use of acupuncture and more advanced surgical skills.  Not a must but a thought?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 02:56:47 AM »
I'll consider the BO as the surgery and skill bonuses would be useful since unless lucky, I'll like have no spells at 1st level.

That group of spell lists is what I defined as a "Combat Medic" in my old RM campaign - a healer with a military academy or, like the tribes, a military-like upbringing, where the healers help fight and must be able to defend themselves as well. For this campaign, I'd be fine swapping Highriding for something outdoor or animal oriented from Mentalism realm. I will take a look and propose one.

Thanks!

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:46:17 AM »
I am not saying that that list won't work.  I am just looking for you to justify why a horseman would have that list.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 03:07:05 AM »

My uncle, Taravas Savindy once observed, "Son, always be in the saddle. If you can not be in the saddle, keep your horse at arm's length. If you can not be at arm's length, have a spell that makes your arms as long as they need to be ... "

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 04:57:24 AM »
That is a fine justification--who can argue with a drunken uncle's advice.  I was thinking somethings along the lines of it permitted me to scout enemy potions by soaring above the trees.  Either way you can keep the list.  Here is a first stab at the character.  Since you began on the opposite side of the world, and needed to cross a sea to get to the City State, I assumed that at some point you made passage by being a rower.  I also provided 7 ranks of primary skills as part of your background and 7 ranks of secondary.  Please feel free to adjust as you see fit.  the secondary skills that I used were based upon your aptitude (stats) and training costs.  let me know what you think

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »

Just X,
Had a couple of Qs:
  • Did you include the skills from that background option you proposed in the other thread?
  • I see you lumped all the spell points into 1 buy at Apprenticeship. Did you assume 1 roll for 1 spell list then? Could I 1) break that up between Adolescence and Apprentice ship (to have 2 rolls for 2 different lists, 1 at each buy) and since i plan to buy +15 PR for a +25 total status bonus, I'd plan to only buy enough DPs (say 5) for a 50% chance to learn each list and then spend the other DPs elsewhere. OK?
Thanks!

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
I did include the background options, plus 7 skill ranks in each primary and secondary skills that I felt reflected your background.  As to spells, I placed 17 in one level, as I felt that it represented a "good" chance of getting a spell list while saving a few DPs.  You are free to break them up between levels.  I have been playing that any further DPs spent on spell ranks go the the first list, and once you break 100% you move to the next list.  I like this method b/c it saves on tracking which lists have what % chance.  But in fairness, I suppose that you could have 5 lists with a 25% chance each and you could roll for each every level.  But in truth, that seems a record keeping nightmare, plus I would think it better to have a list than to have a hope of a list.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »

I prefer the other method and I can track the % chances (did with my other PCs and NPCs when GMing as did my players) so no worries there.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 01:06:45 AM »
Hmm, looks like a bug at the bottom? The total hits rows are added into the DP spent via the SUM() ...

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 01:56:14 AM »
Very possible.  I have corrected that issue in a number of the versions.  please feel free to correct he Summation equation.  Also go ahead and track the spell list you are trying to learn.  In the spread sheet you can just add a new line for each--for my face to face game I have tired to keep the size printable to one page for each sheet.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 02:40:42 AM »

OK almost done. Doing the following for background options:
  • Special = 200 pts (per you)
  • +15 PR bonus = 100 pts
  • +1 spell adder = 60 pts
  • 360 total
Your spreadsheet doesn't include level bonuses? I will add a column - are you using ROCO II for them as well?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 02:43:00 AM »

Here's my spell gain rolls:Concussion Mastery at adolescence and Combat Enhancement at apprenticeship
Rolled 1d100+50 : 12 + 50, total 62
Rolled 1d100+50 : 82 + 50, total 132

ICE webring