HOME DOWNLOADS

*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2019, 09:07:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 350190
  • Total Topics: 7457
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 13
Total: 16

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

2

4

6

8

10

12

20

100

1

2

3

4

5

6

8

10

Author Topic: Zariya Savindy's Journal  (Read 8073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #480 on: July 07, 2019, 06:58:53 PM »

The day he had feared, Zariya thinks as he seeks shelter in his room, has come to past.
Rolled 1d100 : 97, total 97

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #481 on: July 07, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »

Ah but he must be made of sturdy stuff!
Rolled 1d100+97 : 90 + 97, total 187

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2019, 11:34:27 PM »
He has no issues with the joys of sea travel!  After 4 hours of heavy rain and winds the wind slacks a bit and the rain tapers to a mist.  As the sun begins to set you see what must be your final destination, situated at the confluence of a river and the estuary is a large stone watchtower that keeps a watchful eye on the walled city on the eastern shore.  The walls are massive 20 feet high and equally thick.  Beyond the walls the towers of the keep can just be seen, with the exception of one that towers above the City walls, being at least 30 feet tall.


As you approach the City, the ship veers slightly east and into a walled dock area.  These walls are an extension of those protecting the rest of the city, and as you enter you see that there are massive sliding iron gates that can seal the harbor. Just as the last of the light is fading from the sky, you dock.  As you watch, Desmond comes onto the deck and knocks on the Captain's door.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »
OOC:  Sorry for the delays in posting last week.  Were I was staying the internet connection was week at best and then 30 family members piles on and it disappeared.  I used my phone as a hot spot until I took it swimming.  Still trying to get the new one up and running and accessorized.

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2019, 01:06:59 AM »

Zariya smiles and gladly stands on deck to watch in awe the spectacle of the huge walls and gates.
** No worries on the delay. The posting rate is terrific!

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »
The Captain appears at her door and hands Desmond a small packet and a pouch.  She then slips him a gaudy ring with a large red stone surrounded by several small blue and and equal number of clear stones.  Desmond secrets these under his cloak and makes to slip off the ship.  The Captain spots you and says, "You are welcome to go ashore; however we will leave at first light tomorrow--with or without you."  Then she turns and re-enters her room.

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2019, 11:48:20 PM »

"Err, Captain," Zariya asks a bit confused, "where have we arrived? Is this the City-State?"
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #487 on: July 10, 2019, 02:36:42 AM »
The Captain turns and looks at you a bit confused, "Oh no, this is not the City State of the Invincible Overlord, it is one of his smaller vassal cities--Modron.  I have made it a habit of stopping here before heading further up the Estuary of the Roglaroon.  Beyond this point is the sea monster, Maelstron, who is allied with the Overlord and protects the approach to the City.  There is still a fairly long trip ahead of us before we reach the final destination.  Good night," she says as she enters her cabin.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #488 on: July 10, 2019, 03:07:41 AM »
As the impact of her word sinks in you realize that this smaller vassal city is easily 5-10 times larger than any other city you have seen since leaving your homeland.  While the cities at home may be a bit larger they were far older, yet this city is impressive especially the sliding gates of the docks.

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #489 on: July 10, 2019, 11:40:31 AM »

Zariya nods, "Thank you," and once she is gone, looks to see if there is anyone else on deck who he could ask about this stop. Particular what sort of wares are sold, are the streets generally safe and if anyone would be interested in escorting him for a short shopping trip (specifically to see if any herbs or medicines are sold here).
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #490 on: July 10, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
Stephen emerges from below decks and stretches.  He informs you that the city has a bustling open market, but that it will not reopen until the morning when it is light again.  He does tell you that the streets are safe enough as the king here takes security seriously.

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #491 on: July 10, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »

Zariya thanks him for the information and thus without an opportunity he decides to retire for the evening.
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #492 on: July 12, 2019, 04:14:18 AM »
In the morning it is still misty, but true to her word the Captain has the crew preparing to set sail.  In short order the ship slips from the dock and begins to drift toward the gate and into the river.  By mid-morning the mist turns to heavy rain, and the wind grows in strength.  As the day progresses you note the trees to the west are growing denser and denser.  By mid-afternoon, the Captain directs the ship closer to the east bank and orders the anchor to be dropped.  The rain is even worse and the wind is howling. 

About when sunset should occur the rain finally abates and the winds die down to a light breeze.  The skies are still overcast and it is getting dark prematurely.  The Captain seems annoyed by the delay and orders the anchor raised.  The ship again begins moving upstream, albeit slowly.  When you wake the next morning the sky is clear and there is bright sun shine.  As you walk on deck, you see the ship maneuvering around a few small islands and navigating a turn to the southwest.  The course brings you close to the dense woods on the western shoreline; it is obvious that being this close to that shore makes the crew nervous.  While not sure why, you find yourself studying the foliage along the river for any sign of movement or danger.

After navigating the turn in the river, the ship moves more to the center which significantly lightens the mood of the crew.  By mid morning the scenery changes significantly as the southern shore line becomes dominated by hills and even a few mountain peaks.  As the day wears on the winds slow considerably.  By sunset the wind had stopped completely, and the ship begins to loose ground.  Desmond is summoned to the deck. 

Upon seeing the issue facing the ship, he assumes a seated position at the stern and gestures oddly while chanting in what you guess is Elvish.  Moments later you feel a cooling breeze blowing from behind you.  This seems to be enough to stop the loss of ground and after what feels like forever the ship begins to creep forward well even less than that maybe more like inch forward.  In the excitement around Desmond's efforts you almost miss an amazing sight.  At a point where the river narrowed, to the smallest width you have seen so far.  As you pass, you see cables strung high overhead, but the amazing sight is on either bank where there are massive barges lined up end to end, extending up stream on either bank.  A sailor, seeing your inquisitiveness, says, "That's the caravan crossin'."  When he sees you don't comprehend he continues, "When there's a caravan, day let the current swin' da barges downstream and connect um to make a bridge.  Den the caravan crosses the bridge. After, day haul de barges back up da banks until de nes' time.

When you wake, and go out on deck, you hear the lookout shouting, "Citadel in sight."  As you look in the direction the he points you see a large black dome appear over the tree tops. 

OOC:  This is your final opportunity to interact with any crew member prior to docking, if you desire any such interaction.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:17:17 AM by Just X »

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #493 on: July 12, 2019, 11:12:32 PM »

Zariya would hope to do two things before his departure (if this is indeed the City-State):

1) He'd like to attempt some fishing during the slower portions of the river journey

2) He'd seek recommendations from the crew as to a safe place to stay in the City-State ("Where would you want your father/mother/wife/husband/brother/sister to stay sort of thing") or contact names for people who could point him in the right direction. A good Inn or long term housing (apartment or such).
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2019, 01:44:03 AM »
Please provide a foraging roll


Be advised that some of the sailor mummer about your fool hardiness, saying something about River Monsters--fish big enough to eat men.  It is difficult to determine if they are pulling your leg, sincerely believe what they say, are referring to the sea monster, or just believe anything they hear.


As to places to stay--opinions are all over the board.  It seems that many favor establishments that sport dancing girls a few repeatedly mentioned are Happy Harpies, Naughty Nannies,the Balor's Eye, the Mermaid Tavern, and the She-Devil Tavern.  Others claim safety or camaraderie are more important.  Generally, safety is equated with cost and distance from the docks.  Camaraderie tends to be found in those establishments closest to the docks.  The Red Pearls in is mentioned several time as it is frequented by officers and sailors alike, with separate rooms for each, both taverns and sleeping.  The Sail Bar is another favored by many looking for camaraderie.  As to safety, well again there are many opinions and a few repeated names:  the Blue Dolphin Inn; the Sea Nymph Inn; and the White Wake Inn.


After the great Inn Debate, as the crew began to refer to it, simmered down  Stephan says, "I would suggest the White Wake if you want a cheap safe place to sleep; but be warned it has been a long time since anything there has been cleaned.  If you want relatively safe, with a cute and witty bartender, the Blue Dolphin.  Otherwise, you will pay heavily for a safe inn in the Palace, Noble or  Clerk Districts."

Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2019, 02:06:47 AM »

Zariya thanks all for the amusing Debate and asks Stephan, "What prices are we talking for the say the Clerk district vs. say the Blue Dolphin? Roughly if you recall."

Foraging
Rolled 1d100+68 : 37 + 68, total 105

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #496 on: July 14, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Stephan smiles as if remembering something, then says, "The White Wake as just a few coppers a night, the Blue Dolphin more in the range of a silver, many others were well over a gold a night, and not that they were worth it.  As I recall there were a lot of students that hung out at the White Wake.  But that was a number of years ago, things might have changed."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #497 on: July 14, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
A to fishing it takes quite a while, but eventually you hook-up.  The fish puts up a fantastic struggle, and at one point a sailor steps in to help as the line cuts into your hand.  Eventually you are able to pull the fish aboard, with the help of a gaff( A hook in the end of a long stick).  The fish is almost 20 inches long and weighs about 4 pounds.  It is odd looking:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjKx8qe3rTjAhVSJt8KHfpfClsQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mitchellfishing.com%2FMitchell-education-no-boat-no-worries-catching-catfish-from-the-shore.html&psig=AOvVaw1n8edI4l0thCCtw4RkBBrV&ust=1563204900645717

The sailor tells you that this is just a baby and that they can get much bigger.  He then goes to the ship's stores and returns with a small plank, a nail a hammer and pliers.  He proceeds to show you the easiest way to clean it.  He nails the fish to the board at through the head.  Then he cuts the skin all the way around behind the head.  Grabbing the skin with the plies he pulls if back off the body towards the tail.  When the skin is inside out he cuts off the tail, and all of the skin.  Then he cuts off the head and guts the fish.  You are left with just the body of the fish, with no guts and no skin.  He warns that the spines on the fins really hurt of you get poked and will cause your finger to swell up.  He pulls the nail from the board and washes it in the water before returning to tools to the ship's stores.

As he puts them away, another of the sailors appears with a bucket and asks if he can have the fish head and tail.  He explains that he uses them to catch crabs at the dock.


Offline Old Man

  • Viscount
  • ***
  • Posts: 4115
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #498 on: July 14, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »

Zariya, holding the prepared fish, replies to the 1st sailor, "Many thanks for the help. Do you think the cook can make use of the fish?" and to the second sailor, "Surely, What ever parts may be of use, let us use them."

Zariya replies to Stephan, "Thank you. Looks like a choice of colors, Blue or White eh? If the White does serve students, that may help me and my plans (further studies). But if not, then I'd prefer the Blue. Can you give me directions to each? Or perhaps escort me when we arrive? I fear getting lost and what might ensure if I do."
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3456
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #499 on: July 15, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »
Stephan says, "I can certainly cook-up your fish!  As to finding the accommodations, the City is a tricky place to navigate without known landmarks.  From the docks, you head south and east toward the slave market; then head south, exiting the market at 12:00 if you came in at 3:00; at the next intersection take Caravan Street to the west and the White Wake is down two blocks on the right.

"The Blue Dolphin is further up By-Water street from the docks, but By-Water turns several times and it is probably 5-6 blocks to the north, near the Grand Gate."

 

Advertisement