HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 16, 2019, 03:07:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 2725
  • Latest: Ry
Stats
  • Total Posts: 346195
  • Total Topics: 7425
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Grobbitt Widebottom Journal  (Read 133 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Grobbitt Widebottom Journal
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
Thanks your description of the guild makes much more sense now.  In the City there are organizations much like you described--a liken them to to the Poli-Clubs of Shadow Run--groups of individuals that may span businesses or social levels that are all motivated by a common interest.  These groups do what they can to aid each other, particularly in business, but usually are not focused on a specific business, which is how I think of guilds.

With regard to adoption/mentoring one of the other "clubs" has projects, where each member adopts a young man and mentors him in an effort to increase their social level and overall worth to society.  The projects are housed in the basement of the club, and perform menial duties such as unloading supplies, weeping the courtyard, etc.  So the idea of adoption is not so foreign especially for a former member's son.  I will identify the "club" house if this is how you see it, if you could give me an idea of what portion of the City they would be set up in, i.e. the water front, the thieve quarter , the noble quarter, etc.

I am OK with the idea of an architects guild, but I assume that she would have also been a member of the club.

Goblins would obviously have a roll in menial tasks around the City, but Gnomes are generally held in higher esteem; clockworks might make sense there.  Not sure why the architects guild would represent lesser guilds; guild membership, and even more so guild master, carries some level of social status (and by extension power) regardless of how lowly the guild.  Thus, there would little motivation for the abdication of such a postilion to another.  That being said, I could easily see them interacting with the architects--especially if Gertha's dream project is a clock tower.  She keeps abreast of their technologies and shows an active interest in the guild as she knows when the patron with enough gold to finance the tower becomes known to her, she will need their help. 

As to inaction with Goblins, they are ubiquitous within the City--at least during the day, where the scurry to perform all sorts of duties.  At night they return to the Goblin Reservation outside the walls.  Their tasks include manure hauling, body removal (animal or otherwise), water haulers, anything too disgusting or to labor intensive for others to want to do.  While slavery is legal, most goblins are not owned but work for less than it would typically take to feed and house a person.  Thus, they are a viable alternative to doing such tasks, reserving slaves to more interactive tasks, i.e. serving, coat check, maid, etc.  So if there was curiosity, there would be ample opportunity to expose oneself to their culture.  A trip to the reservation would not be out of the question either.  There is a thriving community of goblin businesses that support the reservation. 

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 09:06:54 AM »
My last question, perhaps a strange and controversial one.

How do you run the use/gaining/acquisition of Spell Lists?

The reason I ask is that I'm more used to RMSS.. where the DP allow the slower development of several simultaneous spells lists in a definite and secure fashion.

:Using this system Grobbit would immediately have access to two first level spells off two different lists, or one list where he could attempt casting a spell from of level 1-2

Re-reading RM2 seems to indicate a "all or nothing" approach to DP expenditure, you get to roll once per level... but if successful you get a BASE skill list to 10th level..?
But if you fail the roll you get nothing but retain the chance for the next level.. and then roll again. But cannot develop more than one list without losing that previous DP expenditure.

:Using this system he'd have a 5% chance of getting one (to 10th)...if successful he'd then have another 5% chance of getting a second list (also to 10th), OR if unsuccessful he'd have a 10% of then just receiving only one list... or none (testing again at 2nd.)

Am I right? If so, reflecting upon this, I think this is the very reason I changed systems.. 

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
I allow you to add your appropriate stat bonus tot he acquisition roll.  So for Mentalism it would be the Presence Bonus  i.e 5% for I rank and 15% for a 97 PR stat.  Maybe more if there is a racial or special PR bonus.  At the request of several layers I am allowing the development f multiple spell lists at once.  RMC IV has rules on page 26, which limit the number of lists to the number of power points, which would be pretty meaningless at very low levels.  Which has me thinking that the ad and app levels should also add power points, so even without a very high stat you would start at level 1 with 3 PP, and potentially 3 lists.

But yes, each rank provides a 5% bonus to learning the spell, one the list is learned you get 5 or 10 spells depending upon the type of pick you are entitled to i.e. base list = 10  semi closed = 5
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:57:22 PM by Just X »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 04:00:45 PM »
I do like the approach used in HARP where the number of PP spent adjusts the ability of the base spell.  For example, light law might provide projected light for 1 PP, shock bolt for 3 PP, sudden light for 5 PP, and so n, but you would only learn the base list and then sculpt the mana to achieve higher results.  I am not sure that I am comfortable with this yet so it is still in design.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »
Ok I'll try...

1 Pick..

Rolled 1d100+15 : 86 + 15, total 101

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »
Fair enough.. ;)

and another..

2nd Pick..

Rolled 1d100+15 : 99 + 15, total 114

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »

:)bd

So two separate Base spell lists to rank 10 then..

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
PDF updated for Background, Spell Lists and Equipment

I think it's finished. :)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 02:54:28 AM »
Looks good, can you please provide a name for the "Guild".

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 06:56:12 AM »
"The Guild"

;)

It's sort of distinguished from other guilds because it's only said in whispers after first furtively looking each way to see if anybody is looking... :)

It's full name is little used (or indeed known) : "The Venerable and Enlightened order of Trades and Organisations".... or VETO for short.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
:) thanks

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 04:21:22 AM »
I do like the idea of it being a euphemism for a conspiratorial group.  Could you please provide the quarter of the City where the "guild" headquarters are located?  A general idea of the social level would be fine and then I can assign a local.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 07:03:25 AM »
LUC - UMC social. Basically, the top echelons of the trade/merchant quarter.

My guessing is that the organisations/guilds that Grobbit's father represented are viewed as having lesser esteem, which is why there was only one representative for them, their combined membership is treated as a "necessary evil" to the smooth running of the city. In other words, they are treated as a "poor cousin" within the organisation. It would also further explain Grobbit's gradual gravitation towards and familiarity with, the dregs of society.

Advertisement