Author Topic: Bug's Journal  (Read 2332 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2019, 01:57:31 AM »
When you return to the Red Pearl you can switch out your wine skin and grab the lock picks.  I can't find my map of the inn, but I recall that the captains hang in a room separate from the sailors and the stairs up are in the captains room.  Either way you can get the water skin to your room undetected.

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Bug

 examines the water skin:
Is there something special that might be indentified by the owner?
(A longtime owner could easily recognize a dent or a spot on the leather,
but is there something that is recognizable from a distance, like a ribbon,
or for a not-owner like a monogram?
He would remove ribbon-like things.)
 
 Bug leaves his room with the lock pick set and the water skin with the spiced rum.
He goes to the school again.
 

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2019, 02:18:59 PM »
The water skin is unadorned but could be marked with lamp black or otherwise to mark it as yours


You arrive at the door opposite the White Wake. You can see the troll just inside the door and think you might hear Quinn’s drunken slur.   The door to the school is closed and all is quite.

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Bug

 stands at the school's door.
He looks left, looks right, looks up to the windows at the upper floors
and most important he looks drunken.
(Standing at that door at this time is normally suspicious).

 If no one is there to observe him, he turns and try to pick the lock.

___
Acting +10 for looking drunken
Rolled 1d100+10 : 81 + 10, total 91
Perception +20
Rolled 1d100+20 : 64 + 20, total 84
Pick Locks +10
Rolled 1d100+10 : 60 + 10, total 70

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2019, 02:05:59 AM »
Your drunken acting is very passable, the casual observer will see a drunk trying to hold himself up with the aid of a nearby door, even under closer inspection you will appear to be getting you legs under you and/or stop the spinning. 

Your drunken head spin, gives you a good view of the small side street and the windows above.  Those windows are dark, and the small side street is empty.  There is traffic out on caravan street, but if any are looking your way the would likely assume you are a drunk urinating in a convenient doorway.  Despite the fact that the coast looks clear, there is a nagging feeling that you have missed something, that you just can't shake.  But Alryan's training comes back to you, "Sometimes you just need to go for it--too many get caught because they tarried too long in one location trying to achieve perfection.  The world is fluid, go with the flow."

Your lock picks seem to find their own way to your fingers, and you position the tumblers and tap the bump bar.  You don't think that is should have worked, yet somehow the lock is open?  It is an old lock, no an ancient lock, and ti has been well used, maybe the tumblers are just that worn.  Regardless the door is swinging free in the hinges.  Your lucky night!

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2019, 04:29:05 PM »
The door opens inward into a room about 75 feet wide and 50 feet deep, but the right side opposite the door, extend off into the darkness at a width of 30 feet.  On the left, right and forward walls are doors.  There is a torch sconce beside the door with a fresh unlit torch hanging in it.

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »
Bug

 This nagging feeling makes him hesitate:

Should he make his own torch with the tar sop?
But he is here.

 He moves quietly to get chalk and some unlit torches (at least one, not more than three :: on his way out).
 

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2019, 06:17:07 PM »
you slip into the room but it is very dark if you close the door.  You will need some light source to proceed.  You light the torch beside the door, and take it as you proceed to to dark hallway ahead.  As you move forward the hallway illuminates and you see a 100 foot long, 30 foot wide hall, with a door on the right wall about 25 feet from the end and a door in the wall facing you at the end of the hallway.  You recall that the school is behind that door.  You listen at the door and hear nothing, but when you go to open it you find that it is locked. 


**this lock is similar to the one at that other end of the room so you gain a +25 to your roll**

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »
Bug

 feels the excitement again, but thinks
"This is stupid. Much easier to sell my keg with dwarven stout and buy anything I need."

 He proceeds.
 ___

Pick Locks +10 +25
Rolled 1d100+35 : 26 + 35, total 61

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2019, 10:20:29 PM »
You reach the same point you were at the last lock when it opened despite your thinking it wouldn't.  However, this time the lock does not cooperate.  Please try a bit more to get the tumblers to cooperate (roll again, you can add your bonus).

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »
Disregard the last post--I messed up the math.  Your hear the quite click that tells you the door is unlocked.  You enter the school at the southwest corner of the first floor.  From your time here you know that the students and teachers that live here are all on lower floors at this time--unless things have changed.  from the door you enter there is a hallway to the left and one straight ahead.  To the left are the Math and Geometry room followed by the Music room.  Straight ahead is the shrine; although you can't remember ever being in it.  Further on is the History and Geography room, with those three portraits of City heroes in the gold leaf frames.  You always wondered what they are worth, but their 2 foot by 3 foot size makes them cumbersome.  Then around the corner in that hall are the Oratory and Rhetoric room and the Storage room.


Where to?

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »
To the math and geometry room.
It is ridiculous, but I'm here for some chalk ...
(and some torches because there are available).

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
In the geometry room you find the familiar 6 tables with a bench each and the desk at the front of the room with a sturdy wooden chair.  The surfaces are covered with slate and each has a rag for cleaning the slate.  At the left front corner there is a 2 foot square box with chalk for writing; there are at least 25 pieces in the box.  Hanging on the walls are abaci (plural of abacus), compasses, dividers, rulers, and other measuring devices.  You also notice that there are pieces of rope on the benches--you recall that the rope was used to teach about the circle and circumferences.  Each piece is about 10 feet long.

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
Bug

 takes 6 pieces of chalk (he knows that chalk should be kept dry, would carry them accordingly)
and two pieces of rope.

 He hurries out of the school.
On the way he gets additional torches and extinguishes the carried torch near the entrance.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2019, 01:45:19 AM »
Bug gets 3 torches, the chalk and the rope, he could get more, but to carry any more would be a challenge.  You retreat to the door you entered and place the torch back in the sconce.  Only then does it dawn on you that you have no way to put the torch out.  You look about trying to figure out how to put out the torch.  It is only then that you notice a "dipper" of sorts, it is a foot long copper cone attached to a copper and wood handle.  The cone looks like it could fit over even a new torch.  You test it and find that it effectively snuffs the torch and now you are in the dark.  You grope for the door and find it and open it slightly.  As you crack the door open, the moonlight filters into to hall.  There is just enough light to allow you to gather your spoils.  You slip out the door and into the street. 

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
Bug
 
hurries back home and goes to bed.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2019, 12:56:46 AM »
Ready to go to the Inn in the morning?

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
Yes.

___
occ: ForYourInformation I'm away from home from October 3th to October 13th again with limited access to the internet.

Offline Dax

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 1770
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Bug carries the torches and the two pieces of rope in a small bag.
His dagger, the lock pick kit, the water skin and the chalk is on his body.

He emptied the water skin - the spiced rum - into another container, flushed it and filled it with water.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3625
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2019, 12:19:09 AM »
You can find an empty bottle in the bar and use it for the rum.  A sac is another matter.  As I see it you have 3 options:


1)  buy one for 3 bronze
2)  steal one
3) or go without


with respect to stealing, there are several in the bar but it would require a roll to purloin.  You could also try to lift something on the way to the White Wake from a merchant who has his wares in a sac (i.e. flour, beans, etc.).  You could also look in the store room of the School of Ancient Knowledge to see if there are any there.

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk