Author Topic: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood  (Read 2265 times)

Offline I8flesh2

• Knight of the Round Table
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »
Yes, Jay and Tera (Harold) are the names of the guards.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2019, 11:56:03 PM »
Arc

And how many do we estimate the Orcs to be?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »
Arc

Is 8 our whole number counting with the guards?

Arc also helps with burying the dead.

** Yes
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline I8flesh2

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 02:04:52 AM »
Arc

And how many do we estimate the Orcs to be?

** from the lone warrior, and your trackers, there are over one hundred Orcs. Unknown how many of that is workers, women and children; and, how many of that would be warriors. It would all depend on which hive the Orcs belong to and how aggressive they are.

Offline Ry

• Knight Errant
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 05:41:43 AM »
To remind us, can you give us common knowledge on orcs? I'm assuming they're just a different race (not tolkien orcs which were inherently corrupt). Generally viewed by humans (and like-minded people perhaps) as more violent and 'barbaric', and best avoided? But trade and other relations do exist? etc.

I just want to make sure I'm properly roleplaying the semi-educated country bigot.  :mellow:

Ry

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
Arc

Yes, some information on Orcs would be handy. How many men are we burying? And how big had been the group of men that these Orcs attacked before?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
 How many men are we burying? And how big had been the group of men that these Orcs attacked before?
** You are burying 6 bodies which say average to 6 people (some larger some smaller) in size. The caravan numbered, based on the survivors you saw, perhaps 2 dozen with 5 wagons and a number of draft animals.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
Ammon

when the bodies are gathered, he’ll help with the digging.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
To remind us, can you give us common knowledge on orcs? I'm assuming they're just a different race (not tolkien orcs which were inherently corrupt). Generally viewed by humans (and like-minded people perhaps) as more violent and 'barbaric', and best avoided? But trade and other relations do exist? etc.

I just want to make sure I'm properly roleplaying the semi-educated country bigot.  :mellow:

Ry
** See the Rules and whatnot thread for some background. But generally the summary above fits.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 07:39:16 AM »
Arc

goes with spade in hand to dig near Ammon. "Have you noticed how few we are and how many the Orcs. I think it will be a small band of farmers against a warrior tribe. Not many chances, I reckon. Don't you think this expedition should be called off?"

Offline Mollari

• Squire
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
Skrawk nods vigorously.  "I don't like the odds.  We should go back, report, and return here with several platoons of soldiers."

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »
Ammon,

who knew the odds from the start, shakes his head. “This was never meant to be a combat mission, my friends. This was always an emissary, to see if we can recover certain goods. There was never any possibility that we’d succeed by force.” Well, if we’d had the giant badger with us, maybe, he thinks sadly, but leaves the thought unsaid.

“There are no platoons of soldiers to be had, my friend,” he says to Skrawk. “And even if there were... it might not be enough against a swarming hive.” He sighs heavily. “But no oath binds you, my friends. You are free to leave. Return to Higwood, with my blessing, and report what you’ve seen, if you wish. Jay, Tera and I will continue on, alone, if need be. I think even I can follow this trail, if our guides wish to return to Hogwood.”

He looks at the sun. “Either way, let us finish our business with the dead and be on our way. Whichever way that may be.”

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »
Arc

"You're in lead though I don't think these Orcs will respect emissaries." He awaits for the others to have their say.

Offline Ry

• Knight Errant
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »

"They're moving with the whole hive. If they're at all rational, they'll negotiate.

They need a lot of food and they're very exposed with young and others they want to protect.  Scaring off the game, and picking them off as they travel won't be trivial, but it is probably doable. If they range out to hunt and get food, we can pick them off. If they don't, they starve. They should know this as well as we do. We don't need to take them all at once to hurt them. Their numbers play against them here to some extent because they're slower and need to protect the queen and young.

So, while I don't really want to fight the entire hive, it isn't crazy if we do it right. We bleed them instead of trying to go for the killing blow. We fly over their heads and drop rocks down on them.  We scare off the game so they can't find enough to eat. We can harass them until they relent if we have to.

I hope we don't have to, because that's going to be a lot more dangerous, but we do have options. I agree a standup fight with all of them is crazy, but that's not the only way we play this.

And then there's the unknown of why they're on the move in the first place. What are they running from? If they're got enemies, then they may well want to negotiate with us because if we slow them down or weaken them, even if they beat us, then their enemies will finish them off.

If we have to fight, it is going to be the work of days or a week or two, not one grand melee."

Red/Ry

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
Arc

"Let's see how it goes, then."

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2019, 09:48:12 PM »
Ammon

listens to all the opinions and nods.

“Good points, all. If it comes to conflict... we are likely doomed. Though an indirect approach may work if needed”

“Let us find the hive first. It may be that another solultion will present itself.”

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »

** Later ... before I forget and after Andrew post's the passage of time

Tera, the other guard, asks all, "Before we leave ... Can anyone have a prayer for the dead?"

Offline I8flesh2

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
As mid-morning passes into afternoon, the sun climbs to its zenith and reminds everyone that these bodies really need to buried quickly. You don't really remember it being this oppressively hot in Hogwood. Fortunately Qaron spotted some shovels in one of the wagons during the search.

Absolutely no one is interested in food as noon passes and you finish digging the graves.

As you move the bodies you notice that several animals have already visited them in the night (anyone touching the bodies please give us a CO roll). Qaron tries to explore the wagons again as the bodies are being moved. Not finding anything useful, he is just doing it so as not to embarrass himself any further.

You are putting the last shovels of earth on the graves when you hear a low grunt coming from the near side woods and you all can see the bushes then shake.

Actions?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2019, 07:24:47 PM »

Jay

Asks out loud, "Bard ... is that you barfing again?"

Offline Ry

• Knight Errant
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2019, 01:15:29 AM »

Red lets out a long whistle in the direction of the rustling. He'd normally consider hunting whatever it is, but given what it's likely been eating lately, that isn't a very appetizing thought. 

So he settles for letting it know that we're here. There isn't much in a forest that wants to mess with men. Mostly it's getting surprised that causes issues, so he'll avoid that by letting the creature know we're here before it has a chance to startle itself coming out of the bushes.

"We'll have a fair bit of things sniffing around here for a while. We should say what words to the dead we think best, and then move on. Skrawk, perhaps you could offer a prayer on their behalf?"

Red/Ry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk